Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bicycling

Tuconots

Bicycling

New forum so I get to post my new bike again.

Bought a new 60 stem (not on yet) and was about to buy a rockshox reverb but I read that the hydro cable is too thick to use the internal routing on my frame...wat do

IMG_1138.jpg

Tuconots
    Sweet ride! I got my new Cannondale Synapse Hi-Mod with full SRAM Red about a month ago. Already put about 400 miles on it. Only 13lbs with gear. Absolutely LOVING this thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuconots
    I have a Specialized Secteur Elite...but, I'm really wanting this:

http://www.lynskeyperformance.com/store/sportive.html

Have an interest in titanium bikes, haha. ;-p

Tuconots
    saving up for this bad boy right now.. yes poor.. but rock shox on a 600$ bike is yes please

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuriin View Post
    I have a Specialized Secteur Elite...but, I'm really wanting this:

http://www.lynskeyperformance.com/store/sportive.html

Have an interest in titanium bikes, haha. ;-p
    I have a Secteur Elite myself. Reworked it with full 105 and Vuelta wheels. All around a great bike. Was going to sell it once I got the Cannondale but can't bring myself to do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuconots
    I have the 2012 -- the one year that they put their most entry level components on it: Tiagras. I am pissed off, lol. I was thinking of putting some new components on it (Ultegra or something), but, after taking a major crash and having some PTSD, I really want a titanium since I know it won't break.

Tuconots
    I have the 2012 -- the one year that they put their most entry level components on it: Tiagras. I am pissed off, lol. I was thinking of putting some new components on it (Ultegra or something), but, after taking a major crash and having some PTSD, I really want a titanium since I know it won't break.
    You should really look into a used set of 105 components. Not as smooth as Dura-Ace or SRAM Red, but will stand the test of time. Not too expensive and tough as nails. My SRAM Red on the Cannondale shifts smooth as silk, but needs a minor adjustment here and there. My 105's on the Specialized get touched at the beginning of season and that's it. 1,000+ miles and still no need to adjust.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    wat do
    Do you really need a dropper post?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    New forum so I get to post my new bike again.

Bought a new 60 stem (not on yet) and was about to buy a rockshox reverb but I read that the hydro cable is too thick to use the internal routing on my frame...wat do
    Nice ride. I have an '03 Enduro that has been very good to me the last 10 years. I am starting to think it is time to start looking for a new ride though with all the updates in technology that have happened the last 10 years. Most of the riding I do would be considered "All Mountain" but I also do some XC stuff and once or twice a year I'll find myself on some lifts. Since I can't afford 3 separate bikes and I need something burly enough to handle Whistler while being light enough to do some XC, I pretty much feel that I need a carbon frame, which is also a nice chunk of change. Here is my current ride:

Place I ride the most is called Galbraith Mountain. It constantly shows up on lists of best non-lift-accessible terrain in the U.S. Pretty much trails for everyone up there from the XC folks to the free-riders. This video isn't me but gives you a good idea of what is available up there.

Tuconots
    This is my dream bike right now. Carbon framed Demo 8. It weighs about the same as my current ride so getting up the hill at my favorite mountain wouldn't be to much of a challenge. The suspension probably wouldn't be very conducive to XC stuff though even though the bike is fairly light. I'm also sure that it cost somewhere in the five figure range.

Tuconots
    recently upgraded my BB to a ceramic bearing blackbox and got a king headset (and wrapped bars)

I tossed the brakes on for a trip to Austin, I enjoy the hoods so much though I'm likely leaving this bike as is (outside of races) and just building up a different track bike

here's a blurry picture of my roadie

and my polo bike during its early stages

Tuconots
    Bump! Pulled the trigger and bought a Lynskey titanium bike

http://www.lynskeyperformance.com/st...tive-disc.html

Getting mechanical Avid BB7 SL disc brakes for now until hydraulics become the norm. Bought the DuraAce 9xxx series for my drivetrain.

Tuconots
    Gonna get a Surly Crosscheck. Local so most of the dealers will do nice deals with excess stock

Next is a Moonlander, because a fatbike is necessary for snowy commutes.

Though the Mukluk/Beargrease and Warbird from Salsa look nice too...
    Guess I'm a QBP fanboy.

Tuconots
    Salsa and Surly make such cool bikes. I got a used El Mariachi frame on ebay recently and built it up with my single speed parts that were on an AL frame. The steel is sooo nice.

Tuconots
    So here's what happens when a car turns left infront of you when you are cruising about 18-20mph.
    2013-01-10 18.18.28.jpg
    2013-01-10 18.18.33.jpg
    2013-01-10 18.23.05.jpg
    2013-01-10 18.36.28.jpg
    2013-01-10 18.27.51.jpg

Mashed my face pretty hard into the window too but can't really see the lump due to my Portland beard. Guy pretty much dipped after he made sure I was still alive, he was 100% at fault but I was too in shock to really argue/think properly.

Tuconots
    Ordering my Trek Madone 4.5 this week, got into mtn biking and running in early 2012 now making the jump to Sprint tri.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by fifey View Post
    Mashed my face pretty hard into the window too but can't really see the lump due to my Portland beard. Guy pretty much dipped after he made sure I was still alive, he was 100% at fault but I was too in shock to really argue/think properly.
    Didn't get a license plate or info or anything? That sucks I guess considering the circumstance at least you came out relatively all right.

Tuconots
    Nope, guy was saying I was in the wrong didn't really process what was going on until after he left.

Tuconots
    Why were you on the left of traffic

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Famm View Post
    Why were you on the left of traffic
    Also turning left? Center-lane bike lane?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Ao- View Post
    Also turning left? Center-lane bike lane?
    He was taking a left turn at 18-20 MPH?

Tuconots
    He was taking a left turn at 18-20 MPH?
    Center bike lane?

Tuconots
    Center bike lane?
    More possible.

Tuconots
    I was on the far right lane traveling north, he was traveling south and just cut left in front of me and I went straight into the side of his truck.

The speed I hit him at was the pace I was traveling at since he was headed east more or less when I hit him.

Tuconots
    Was it a light?

Tuconots
    Yeah, 4 way intersection, I looked back to see if there was someone behind me and when I looked forward I was about ten feet in front of the truck, pretty much had no time to react.

Tuconots
    So it was green?

Tuconots
    Yeah, green both ways and no left turn arrows

Tuconots
    Well at least you weren't seriously hurt. Wheels can be replaced. Were you wearing a helmet?

Tuconots
    Couple different pairs of bib shorts been popping up on Chainlove lately for around $50. Hincapie ones up right now for $49.99 in everything but medium. Not bad if you know you're going to need or want new shorts this summer. A few ok jerseys lately too, but nothing I've been compelled to buy.

Tuconots
    That really sucks that you broke one of the most expensive parts of a bike -- the wheelset. Glad to hear you're OK. Hopefully someone saw the incident and contacted the police. You should also check to see if there are any cameras in that intersection. BTW, did you go to the hospital, or are you going to man it up and pray no future damage shows up?

Tuconots
    That really sucks that you broke one of the most expensive parts of a bike -- the wheelset. Glad to hear you're OK. Hopefully someone saw the incident and contacted the police. You should also check to see if there are any cameras in that intersection. BTW, did you go to the hospital, or are you going to man it up and pray no future damage shows up?
    No hospital, I've skated for 15~ years now so I know what's just a really painful bruise and what's broken and nothings broke, just deep bruising. Also, no helmet, never have and never will wear one(Unless its a legetimate bike race where it's required).

Yeah, I don't know what I'm gonna do about my wheelset right now, buddy has a spare black b43 he's gonna loan me for a while but not sure if I'm gonna just buy a single wheel ande get it laced or just buy a whole new set.

Tuconots

Tuconots

Tuconots
    For some reason, I never liked bikes. Hell, I haven't even got off my training wheels.

Tuconots
    BMC team replica kit, bib shorts and jersey, on chainlove right now for $60, might want to keep eye out for that ham if you'd like a kit to match your bike.

Tuconots
    BMC team replica kit, bib shorts and jersey, on chainlove right now for $60, might want to keep eye out for that ham if you'd like a kit to match your bike.
    Where are the rest, I only see the shorts...

Tuconots
    Chainlove changes, different deal every 20-30 minutes. Other than the medium it didn't look like it was selling out so it will probably pop up again.

Tuconots
    Bought my partner the 11spd DuraAce 9xxx series. Looks absolutely beautiful. Still waiting for my Lynskey Ti bike.

I'm going to be in the market for new shoes -- I currently have the Shimano SPD Hybrids that you can wear normal shoes or cycling shoes at the moment. I've been looking at the Speedplays or the normal type of cleats rather than what I have now. Does anyone have any experience with them? I read that for speedplays, you need to always keep cleat covers with you in the event you have to walk in a dirt/rocky road??

Tuconots
    Bought my partner the 11spd DuraAce 9xxx series. Looks absolutely beautiful.
    Oh you gays and your vast disposable incomes. Whole drivetrain? I bet that's smooth as buttered silk.

I'm going to be in the market for new shoes -- I currently have the Shimano SPD Hybrids that you can wear normal shoes or cycling shoes at the moment. I've been looking at the Speedplays or the normal type of cleats rather than what I have now. Does anyone have any experience with them? I read that for speedplays, you need to always keep cleat covers with you in the event you have to walk in a dirt/rocky road??
    Do you often end up walking dirt/rocky roads on your road bike? Sounds like something I wouldn't need to care about. Biggest issue with cleats that aren't conducive to walking seems to me to be after ride coffee/pizza/beer type of events. Then again I personally wouldn't be going into a pub or restaurant in my lycra but I'm not openly gay and in the bike crazy/friendly bay area. If I'm throwing on other clothes, even over the lycra, I might as well change shoes too.

I've heard great things about Speedplay though, both road and the less popular "frogs" for MTB. Specifically for MTB the adjustable float that you can't get in other types of pedal.

Let me know if you find a good deal on road specific shoes, I've had my eye out for some forever and just don't want to pay retail like a cheap ass. I ride road with MTB SPD's and touring style recessed cleat shoes like a newb.
    Last edited by Famm; 01-26-2013 at 05:03 PM.

Tuconots
    I don't mind the walking in weird shoes, but, when we do touring (100/day), you are going to walk in dirt/gravel roads for lunch and snacks. I just don't know if I can imagine bringing out the covers every time I did that. :\

edit: Will let you know, though. BTW, do you wear regulars or mega sizes?
    Last edited by Kuriin; 01-26-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Tuconots
    Mega? I wear US 13, usually 48 or 49 euro, which is part of the issue yes. Lots of closeouts in sizes that are too small for me.

Tuconots
    Are your feet wide or regular fitted, which is what I was wondering?

Tuconots
    Regular.

Tuconots
    I have mtb shoes and road shoes. I was getting tired of wearing through cleats quickly, which is why I picked up mtb. I love both sets I have and if you have the money I don't see a reason to just swap pedals depending on the type of ride. Giro Gauges and Mavic Zxelliums here. If you go road, get those cleat covers, I keep them in my jersey pocket now for when I'm on the road pedals. I can tell the power transfer difference in road shoes/pedal for sure, so they're on my roadie

Tuconots
    I had a friend point out this Redline model as a commuter/knock-around/bar bike, anyone used them at all?
    http://www.redlinebicycles.com/archi...12-metro-sport

Was looking for something I could throw a few bags on but isn't that expensive. Any other decent road/cross/commuter options that are cheap?

Tuconots
    I like gravity to help my riding, Norco A-Line park edition

AM/XC riding on a Giant Reign

Fun time plus lots of pain, Echo trails bike

Busting out the cool,

Perfect number of bikes to own is N+1, N being the number you own now.

Tuconots
    I have nothing to add except that the cyclocross worlds was the first cx race I attended and it was godddddddamn awesome.

Tuconots
    I want a CX bike so bad for my fifth set of wheels. Preferably single speed. Passed up a couple good deals on them over the past few years too, should have pulled the trigger.

Tuconots
    Anyone been looking at http://www.bicyclemob.com/? New site by www.JensonUSA.com

Sort of like Chainlove but they do one deal a day, running from 6 AM to 3 PM PST. They have graduated price drops as the day goes on, the more they sell the more the price decreases. You can buy the item at the starting price and you will pay whatever the lowest price ends up being.

Decent deal on some basic clipless MTB shoes today.

Tuconots
    man if they're only going to do one a day, they've gotta have better shit than a sleeveless jersey and saddle bag

Tuconots
    I know its really killing me to glance at the email on my phone then delete it every day.

Tuconots
    New bike....

Tuconots
    needs more spacers!

in all seriousness.. hnnnngh

Tuconots
    Handsome made a shop bike for Artcrank. I realize it's "buy one and another gets donated" but I just can't spend $1k on a single speed for just clowning around the neighborhood.
    http://handsomecycles.com/bicycles/s...e_artcrank.php
    http://artcrank.com/

Also, today starts off Artcrank in Austin, and I think Minneapolis's is in April. It's a pretty cool event.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by ham View Post
    needs more spacers!

in all seriousness.. hnnnngh
    lol. Only problem I have with the bike is the length from my foot to the front wheel. I can hit the wheel with my foot when I do a hard turn. Won't happen much, but, when I'm at a walking pace during group rides, it could be a pain.

But, it feels so nice. Upgrading from a 9 speed low end drivetrain to an 11 speed feels so different.

edit: I had to buy new shoes, sadly. Fucking LBS for my first bike did not tell me that they were mountain bike shoes (SPDs) so they were not able to put on actual road cleats. Went from Shimano Pro to SIDIs. The SIDIs feel like a whole fucking difference. They're great. Walking in them is not a problem. Did not get speedplays. Went with DuraAce 9xxx pedals.
    Last edited by Kuriin; 02-23-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Tuconots
    That's called toe overlap, it was a problem with 29'ers early on before they got mainstream and the geometry with the frames and forks compensated. Wouldn't that indicate a sizing issue with you and that frame? I'm not sure.

Regardless, that's an absolutely fucking beautiful bike. I literally think I could masturbate to completion over it if it was in front of me in person. Congrats.

Tuconots
    I'm looking into doing some road biking. I live in the northeast so the winters are rough (I'm aware this is a copout) but I'm finally going to start commuting to school and such with a bike. Any suggestions on a great road bike to start with under a grand? I've hear good things about the Specialized Allez line. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and I definitely plan on trying them out at local bike shops for proper fit.

Tuconots
    lol. Only problem I have with the bike is the length from my foot to the front wheel. I can hit the wheel with my foot when I do a hard turn. Won't happen much, but, when I'm at a walking pace during group rides, it could be a pain.

But, it feels so nice. Upgrading from a 9 speed low end drivetrain to an 11 speed feels so different.

edit: I had to buy new shoes, sadly. Fucking LBS for my first bike did not tell me that they were mountain bike shoes (SPDs) so they were not able to put on actual road cleats. Went from Shimano Pro to SIDIs. The SIDIs feel like a whole fucking difference. They're great. Walking in them is not a problem. Did not get speedplays. Went with DuraAce 9xxx pedals.
    I hope to get a job wherever you work one day.

I'm used to toe overlap because of track bikes, but it can be annoying. it'll never happen at any speed worthwhile so nothing to worry about

Tuconots
    Looking for opinions:
    I was gonna get a touring/cross bike to commute around town on (and to/from bars)... I was looking at a Crosscheck, dude recommended an All-City Space Horse. The space horse is a bit more expensive, so I'm not sure it's worth the upgrade...

Any suggestions? I'm planning on buying from the same shop regardless, and I think

Here's the links:
    Space horse http://allcitycycles.com/bikes/space_horse
    Cross Check http://surlybikes.com/bikes/cross_check
    Comparison http://bikes.cxmagazine.com/compare/...ty-Space-Horse

Tuconots
    If all you're going to use the bike is in the city, just get a cheap mountain bike. Big wheels means less chances of dying from potholes or tracks. No sense in buying a road bike for the city unless you plan on using it to do more than 10 miles in a single ride. ;o

Tuconots
    If all you're going to use the bike is in the city, just get a cheap mountain bike. Big wheels means less chances of dying from potholes or tracks. No sense in buying a road bike for the city unless you plan on using it to do more than 10 miles in a single ride. ;o
    Eh, it's Minneapolis. The trails are cleared of snow before the streets are, and the potholes are fixed faster on the cycling paths than the streets. Normal weekly ride is 15-30 miles on bike paths with beer stops. So any additional riding would be on top of that.

Tuconots
    They're both great. The space horse however has a 10 speed which is handy if you plan on actually doing road cycling up big hills with it. Though, I'm not sure what a difference it would make going from 9 to 10 speed. They both utilize size 32 wheels which is great for touring and city.

edit: Just wanted to mention that when I say "touring", I mean over 80 miles/day. How's the comfort level when you ride them? Or is this an online deal?

edit 2: Did a ride this past weekend on my new bike. It's magnificent. Never rode a back so comfortable. The only scary thing is the toe overlap. Went to Fairfax and then up to the reservoir, down, and then up Mt. Tamalpais. Never been able to spin going up hill, lol.

The pedals I do notice a difference going from my SPD mountain bikes to my SIDI road shoes. Did not get speedplays because I didn't want to deal with the shoe covers when I do long distances. Just have to get used to clipping in with these types of cleats.
    Last edited by Kuriin; 02-28-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Tuconots
    Yeah, I'm probably not going to do touring for a long time, need to build toward it (and if/when I start that way, I'll probably end up getting something specifically for it). I've not tried either yet, but I'm going to stop by the bike shop and get measured and try both later next week.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    I like the parts on the AC a little more

I own a Surly and an All City, both ride great. I ride the shit out of my big block though, so I can't recommend their frames enough. It has more miles on it than any other bike I've owned since tracking that sort of thing.

Also have a friend who has a cross check and he loves it. You can't lose with either decision

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by ham View Post
    I like the parts on the AC a little more

I own a Surly and an All City, both ride great. I ride the shit out of my big block though, so I can't recommend their frames enough. It has more miles on it than any other bike I've owned since tracking that sort of thing.

Also have a friend who has a cross check and he loves it. You can't lose with either decision
    Well, bike shop guy just said "Oh, we have a Salsa casseroll sitting here too!"

Tuconots
    doing this in Houston at the end of the month. if you can't make it out and still want to support a great cause, check my sig

Tuconots
    Spring is in full season now pals, had some dude in fully lycra and Zipp's drafting me for 3~ miles today on my way home from work. Fucker seriously was sitting on my wheel the whole time. Time to get my cat6 on.

Tuconots
    Why didn't you just drop back on his wheel at some point?

Tuconots
    Better question is, why the hell didn't he just pass you?

Cat6? What the fuck? Is that like 40mph average? lol

Anyone in the Bay area wanna do Marin rides?!

edit: Loving my new bike. First time I was actually able to do an average of 10.8mph with about 32 miles nothing but climbing. When it was flat, went up to 22mph. Getting used to the toe overlap. Not as bad as I thought. Still a little nervous going downhill after flying over my handlebar last summer.
    Last edited by Kuriin; 03-05-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Tuconots
    Kill the rich, take their Zipp's.

Tuconots
    Bike ride I just did this past weekend:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/178518062

Tuconots
    Better question is, why the hell didn't he just pass you?

Cat6? What the fuck? Is that like 40mph average? lol
    He didn't pass me because we were going into a mildly strong headwind so he was just trying to enjoy the free ride and this is cat6 racing

Tuconots
    Other than the random deer attack, that looks like an awesome place for a ride.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignorant Slut View Post
    Other than the random deer attack, that looks like an awesome place for a ride.
    Its a monster cross race in like central Virginia. They have a single speed mountain bike category. I wanted to go last couple years but didn't really have anyone to go in with me. Its a bit pricey and far for me too, would probably want some people to split a hotel room and party it up afterwords ideally.

Tuconots
    Finally did Mt. Diablo here in the Bay area. What a climb. Going downhill was much harder because I still have fears from falling...

Tuconots
    Is that your partner?

Tuconots
    lol yes it is.

Tuconots
    Damn, you got some May/September shit going on huh?

Great view. I did a ride when I was out there last summer, out of Berkeley, up Spruce Street, through Wildcat Canyon to this inspiration point place, and back down. Amazing area. You're lucky.

berkeley ride 1.jpg

berkeley ride 2.jpg

berkeley ride 3.jpg

Tuconots
    Wow. Out of Berkeley? Was that a 80 or so mile bike ride? I love Diablo. It's a triple Tamalpais ride due to the elevation; but, it's never really difficult until the final hill where the grade goes from about 8% to about 15% (Cat 3 to Cat 1). It's insane but amazing. Didn't think I was going to make it. Heart felt like it was going to pump out of my body rofl.

Tuconots
    Uh, no I think it was like the first hill. Isn't the big ride called three bears or something, and includes three total mountains? I think we just did that first peak and back down. One guy offered to let me tag along with him for the next descent, then he was going to turn around and climb back up to where I took those pics and down again to Berkeley. I just turned back with the rest of the group though since I was hungover and kind of over climbing for the day after that. It was only like 15-20 miles I think with about 1k feet of climbing.

Tuconots
    I did Mount Diablo the day before I left California and I was kicking myself for not doing it sooner. What a great ride. I did it in the middle of December and I forgot my helmet and I got rained on and had to get off and push my bike across a couple stretches that were covered with ice. Then I got to descend on wet roads with no helmet, which made me a bit nervous. The people that were helping me move that afternoon were not impressed with the fact that I went for that bike ride when I should have been putting shit in boxes, but I'm really glad I did it. When you think about going uphill continuously for 10+ miles it sounds really daunting but it's not as hard as it sounds and I wish I had tried it sooner.

Another really great ride that I did a few times to get off BART at the Embarcadero station and ride down past Chrissy field and then across the Golden Gate Bridge and take a hard left up the hill to that old Nike Missile site on top of the hill. It starts out steep as fuck but it only lasts for about a quarter mile and then gets more manageable. The view there is awesome and you can check out the Nike site and then ride down the back side where it's rolling hills and really beautiful scenery. When you get to the bottom you can go check out the beach or just ride out through that tunnel. The wind will push you right out of the valley and it doesn't even feel like you are going uphill. The tunnel is downhill with the wind at your back and I could usually hit 40 MPH going through it. Then when I got back to SF if I was still feeling my oats I would ride up to Coit tower before getting back on BART and heading home. Man this is bringing back good memories.
    Last edited by BrutulTM; 03-25-2013 at 03:36 PM.

Tuconots
    That hill to the right of the GGB is known as the Marin Headlands. It's really not that bad. Tamalpais and Diablo are obviously harder. I'm impressed you did Diablo without a helmet and on wet roads. You've got some big balls, rofl.

Tuconots
    Grats on finally doing Diablo Kuriin. That last section is just a kick in the balls after everything before it.

Tuconots
    Anyone know where you can go to buy nice bikes for good deals? Craiglist doesn't have much on it and ebay is even worse (not hyperlocal) and who wants to pay an extra 70 bucks to ship a bike? Just wondering if anyone knows where all of these nice 2013/2012/2011 bikes go after their owners get new bikes.

Tuconots
    Well obvious answer is your local bike shop. They will usually blow-out last years models or whatever isn't popular at the moment. Usually you will have even better luck finding a deal like that if you are an odd-ball size. For example, my local bike shop had great deals on any 26" wheeled mountain bike near the end of last season because everyone was buying 29ers. On the flip side, my buddy was shopping for a deal on a 29er but since he is a pretty common size they didn't have any close-out deals on one his size.

Another choice is www.bikesdirect.com You generally are buying an off-brand frame, but because of that you get a great deal on the component sets. And many of the frames are made in the exact same factories as the brand names. They don't charge any tax and offer free shipping. Problem with ordering from them is you have to buy a bike sight-unseen.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by reo_speed View Post
    Anyone know where you can go to buy nice bikes for good deals? Craiglist doesn't have much on it and ebay is even worse (not hyperlocal) and who wants to pay an extra 70 bucks to ship a bike? Just wondering if anyone knows where all of these nice 2013/2012/2011 bikes go after their owners get new bikes.
    You can eventually find something on CL in most places but you really have to camp it a while to find the size/type/price you want. If you want a bike right now, seriously just use bike shops. You're a little late, January/February tend to be the big closeout sale months for leftover model years. All depends on what your shops are like though really.

Also, if there's much of a cycling community around you try swap meets and message boards for the local bike clubs.

Tuconots
    For about 10 years I did a ride called http://ragbrai.com/. It is a week long ride across Iowa in July. It is some of my best teenage memories, and the food was amazing during the ride. Has anyone else done this ride?

Tuconots
    No. Nobody has ever heard of it.

Tuconots
    So I already have 30 miles and about 5500 vertical feet in on my mountain bike this year. Considering that I usually don't even think about starting to ride till May, I'm pretty stoked about it. At my favorite riding place they have put a lot more effort into building the trails with drainage in mind which has really expanded the riding season in the area.

I'm really thinking of trying to do a couple of Enduro style races this year. There are a couple in my area and they look like a lot of fun.

Tuconots

Shiny!

Wooo new bike!

IMG_1229.jpg

edit: upside down bike? let's see if this fixed it
    Last edited by Ao-; 03-29-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Tuconots
    Wooo new bike!
    Casseroll? Sweet. Salsa build or components of your own choosing?

Tuconots
    Casseroll? Sweet. Salsa build or components of your own choosing?
    Salsa built, bought it from a local shop after an extended sizing and a good discount.

Tuconots
    You sticking with the toe clips? I know its a kind of hipster thing to use them now, and it is a bit retro of a bike, but there's no way I could deal with that personally.

Tuconots
    You sticking with the toe clips? I know its a kind of hipster thing to use them now, and it is a bit retro of a bike, but there's no way I could deal with that personally.
    Ah no! I pulled them off of my mountain bike as I have zero other pedals. I'm going to eventually get a crappy pair of shoes and some crappy pedals. The bike is sort of retro, but it's last year's model (and the last model, they discontinued the caseroll).

Tuconots
    pulled the trigger on rapha shoes last week. could've upgraded my wheels instead. yolo

Tuconots
    Hey guys, I am planning on doing a bike tour with a couple of friends from Austin up through the central part of the U.S (Colorado) and then start winding towards the West with our final destination being Portland.

I am on a shoestring budget, and am going to be either rolling on my Mercier Corvus (steel geared roadbike from bikesdirect) or try and borrow a friends Cross Check. I was just curious if some people might have some old parts/gear for sale. Somethings that I will definitely be needing and that I don't currently have our some bike shorts and a wearable pair of SPD shoes.

I am looking on cl and ebay of course, but seems like some of you (looking at you Ham) buy way too much bike shit, so maybe you one of yall needs to get rid of some clutter.

Tuconots
    Keep your eye on Chainlove constantly. Easy to do with a smartphone. Good deals abound on clothes and shoes depending on your size.

Ebay isn't a bad resource for cycling stuff either, depending on what you want.

Banned
    Tuconots
    I kinda want to take one of the Grand Canyon bike tours. Those look like fun.

Thread Information