Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tablets

Registered Ranger
    Tuconots

Tablets

So I grabbed a Nexus 7 instead of a Kindle Fire because you guys recommend it. It arrived today and I am in love with this thing. So smooth, and easy to use.

Tuconots
    Last edited by Wolfen; 12-07-2012 at 03:55 AM.

Tuconots
    I have a Lenovo A2109 I picked up for $199. It gets the worst reviews possible for the screen viewing at some angles but apparently I don't use the tablet like most people because it works just fine for me. I compared it side by side to the Nexus 7 and the 9" screen on the Lenovo won me over. I guess it depends on how you use your tablet and how you view it. Had it about 2 weeks now and really like it. Little smaller than the 10" tabs and a little easier to read than the 7".

Tuconots
    Played with a nexus 7 at sam's and man those are snappy compared to my galaxy tab 10.1. Just don't have the need to upgrade right now. I can deal with the lag switching between tabs when browsing.

Tuconots
    Happy with iPad 2. No need for anything else. I have a shitty Acer Iconia A100 for the few Android things I wanted to check out, but it's horrible by comparison.

Statistically Significant khanable's Avatar
    Tuconots
    OG iPad -> Samsung galaxy tab 10.1 -> iPad mini

iPad mini had been by far my favorite. The size fits me perfectly.

Tuconots
    Any thoughts on good cases for the Nexus 10?

Tuconots
    I really want a nexus 10 but I can't justify spending $399 to replace my Lenovo k1 that I've had for a year.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by khanable View Post
    OG iPad -> Samsung galaxy tab 10.1 -> iPad mini

iPad mini had been by far my favorite. The size fits me perfectly.
    I borrowed my brothers mini for a week and the form factor is incredible. It's definitely nicer than the larger iPad.

It's just the screen that lets the package down. It's hard to go back to such a low res screen after owning a retina iPad. Hopefully next year.
    Last edited by Cor; 12-08-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Tuconots
    Just got my mom a Nexus 7.. Very responsive screen, nice visuals, and perfect size. She loves the thing.. I've always liked the feel and layout of Apple devices more, but have never bought one. I think this is on par though

Statistically Significant khanable's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    I borrowed my brothers mini for a week and the form factor is incredible. It's definitely nicer than the larger iPad.

It's just the screen that lets the package down. It's hard to go back to such a low res screen after owning a retina iPad. Hopefully next year.
    Yea, the screen is kind of a downer. I have the retina macbook pro so basically all screens look like shit at this point.

just one of the many first world problems I have to deal with

Tuconots
    Thinking about picking up an iPad Mini as a gift this year. Does anyone have experience with using it for e-reading purposes? And can you buy e-books from Amazon and read them on it, or is that a Kindle-only gig?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratama View Post
    Thinking about picking up an iPad Mini as a gift this year. Does anyone have experience with using it for e-reading purposes? And can you buy e-books from Amazon and read them on it, or is that a Kindle-only gig?
    Kindle has an app for pretty much any platform. I have a Kindle that now sits unused on my nightstand because I do all my reading on the Ipad Kindle app. You can't buy books directly from the Ipad app itself, but that's not an issue since you're using an Ipad that can browse Amazon anyway. I've seen some web reviews on the Kindle paperwhite versus the Ipad mini (I have a full size retina display.) that have said they prefer the Ipad mini to the Kindle for reading. Only complaints I've heard about text on the mini involve web newspapers like the NY Times that have fixed fonts.

Tuconots
    Very helpful stuff! Cheers

Tuconots
    I don't understand the reading on tablet thing. My iPad is great and all, but if I'm sitting down to read a book I'd rather it look as close to paper as possible. eInk devices are super fucking cheap, if you enjoy reading for pleasure you should have one.

Tuconots
    I borrowed Stephen King's 11/22/63 from the local library. The thing is like 3 inches thick. So I got the epub and am now reading it in comfort on my Nexus 7 at my desk, my bed or wherever I want to read it. I can turn the lights off and read while my wife sleeps.

And sometimes I might want to change gears and read another book. Having them all in my tablet is so much more convenient then carrying around multiple books and I usually have my tablet with me.

For example, I will be reading one of the Song of Ice and Fire novels and remember something from a previous book. Instead of looking for the big book at home, I just load the e-book and find the piece of information I was looking for.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn - In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

"That is not dead which can Eternal lie, and with strange Eons even death may die" - H. P. Lovecraft

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    I don't understand the reading on tablet thing. My iPad is great and all, but if I'm sitting down to read a book I'd rather it look as close to paper as possible. eInk devices are super fucking cheap, if you enjoy reading for pleasure you should have one.
    Not to mention the weight factor. I haven't tried it, but I can't really imagine reading for a long time on a full sized ipad. The kindle weighs almost nothing and you can easily hold it in one hand.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by BrutulTM View Post
    Not to mention the weight factor. I haven't tried it, but I can't really imagine reading for a long time on a full sized ipad. The kindle weighs almost nothing and you can easily hold it in one hand.
    I read on my iPad all the time. Yeah, it took some getting used to, but it's really not as bad as you'd figure it would be.

Tuconots
    All this. Fuckin' love my now ancient nook 3G. As nice as my hand-me-down nook tablet is I tried it for reading and it's just not the same.

My buddy with the same two devices got used to using the tablet when his nook broke, but when he got it working again he said the difference was huge. Especially when he's reading at work outside during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkorin View Post
    but it's really not as bad as you'd figure it would be.
    That's a cover blurb if ever I've seen one.

Tuconots
    Heh. What I meant, clearly, is "I'm not going to spend more money on a reader, because my iPad does the job well enough".

Maybe I just don't read enough to care.

Tuconots
    Basically what Braen posted. In terms of tablet vs. physical book, the tablet wins out for some people because of the convenience factor - the weight argument against using a tablet does not necessarily apply to the iPad mini or other 7"ish devices, in my opinion.

As far as getting an e-Ink device over the mentioned tablets goes, I see your point, but due to personal preference and wanting to use it for activities other than reading, the iPad mini hits several birds with one stone, so to speak.

Tuconots
    I think e-ink readers are far superior for reading than lcd screened tablets. The e-ink screen is soothing to the eyes and text looks fantastic on it.

Not everyone needs an e-ink reader, though.

I bought one because I spend an hour a day reading books. My brother, on the other hand, is fine with his iPad mini because he only spends an hour a week reading books.

If you're a heavy reader, buy an e-ink reader. If not, a tablet will do fine.

Tuconots
    I have both the retina iPad and a Kindle... and there's no way I would want to read a book on an iPad. E-ink is just so much easier on the eyes, not to mention staring at a bright screen if you chose the iPad likely wouldn't help you fall to sleep if you were doing reading before bed.

Registered Dragonlord Deathwing's Avatar
    Tuconots
    I had an eink reader for years. Got a Nexus 7 couple weeks ago. I can see the difference, obviously, but the Nexus 7 isn't bothering me. Is there some sort of strain or ache in my eyes that I'm supposed to be getting? I mean, I stare at a computer monitor all day...

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Braen View Post
    I borrowed Stephen King's 11/22/63 from the local library. The thing is like 3 inches thick. So I got the epub and am now reading it in comfort on my Nexus 7 at my desk, my bed or wherever I want to read it. I can turn the lights off and read while my wife sleeps.

And sometimes I might want to change gears and read another book. Having them all in my tablet is so much more convenient then carrying around multiple books and I usually have my tablet with me.

For example, I will be reading one of the Song of Ice and Fire novels and remember something from a previous book. Instead of looking for the big book at home, I just load the e-book and find the piece of information I was looking for.
    I think you misunderstood my post. I could never go back to physical books - E Ink all the way. Looks as close to paper as you can get, perfect form factor (size + weight), and lasts for weeks between charges. Now that they have the glow-light models the main disadvantage is gone.

I have tried to read on my iPad and my GFs kindle fire but it always seems just like reading PDFs on my computer and that shit sucks.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkorin View Post
    Maybe I just don't read enough to care.
    I think this must be the thing with people who read on tablets. I normally get in a couple hours each day and if I'm engrossed in a good book I can spend all day reading. I'd guess maybe tablet readers don't do that.

Tuconots
    I think this must be the thing with people who read on tablets. I normally get in a couple hours each day and if I'm engrossed in a good book I can spend all day reading. I'd guess maybe tablet readers don't do that.
    I've done the same, to be honest. I think it's just a question of how forgiving I'm willing to be with the tablet's size/weight. I don't care about the screen, because I can make that easier on the eyes by changing it to "night" mode (white on black instead of the ridiculous black on white that it usually is) and dimming the brightness if necessary.

I think it just comes down to a tolerance or personal preference thing. I've never had a problem reading off a computer screen, but my wife can't stand doing so and swears by paper instead. Won't touch an ebook, no matter what she's reading it on.

Tuconots
    Anyone have or has used an ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity? What's your opinion if you do?

Tuconots
    I find that as long as I put my tablet e-reader app(I usually use nook) into "night time mode" where the background is black/grey and the text is white, much like this forum, it's just as easy on the eyes as e-ink. For the love of god, don't read a book that is black text on a white background in your e-reader app, you'll go blind.

Tuconots
    Yeah, we are gonna have to agree to disagree about that. No LCD can reproduce eink technology by using different colors.

Tuconots
    He didn't say it reproduces e-ink, just that it's "as easy on the eyes".

Tuconots
    Yeah, and I can't agree with that, maybe poor choice of words on my part.

Tuconots
    So forgetting about the iPad mini for a moment, does anyone have firsthand experience with the Kindle Fire HD 7" tablet?

Tuconots
    E-ink is nice. I have the Nook touch and I like it. However I haven't used it at all since I got the tablets / phablets. While I like the E-ink and it is easier on the eyes the versatility of the other devices far outweigh that benefit. Once I put it in the cabinet I haven't taken it out since and likely won't use it again. I can read more or less as easily on the tablet and in the dark to boot.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedwyn View Post
    E-ink is nice. I have the Nook touch and I like it. However I haven't used it at all since I got the tablets / phablets. While I like the E-ink and it is easier on the eyes the versatility of the other devices far outweigh that benefit. Once I put it in the cabinet I haven't taken it out since and likely won't use it again. I can read more or less as easily on the tablet and in the dark to boot.
    Personally, I love the fact that the Kindle isn't good for anything but reading books.

I get so distracted doing millions of things at once when using my laptop or my ipad and it can be difficult to concentrate on a single task at times.

With my Kindle, all I can do is read. So I read. It's nice.

I love the fact that the battery lasts weeks too. I never have to worry about charging it.
    Last edited by Cor; 12-13-2012 at 12:50 AM.

Tuconots
    I'm still in love with my Nexus 7 after a month of use. The best unexpected thing about it is that it really cut down on the amount of time I spend at my PC.

For anyone that has one, but hasn't gotten around to getting a case for it yet, I highly recommend one of Bluerex's Ultra-Slim cases Cheap, well made, has a handy strap you can slip your hand in to keep it secure when handling, doubles as a stand, and provides pretty decent protection while not adding too much extra weight/size.

Tuconots
    Haven't had a chance to play around with my Nexus 10 yet. Installed a couple apps, browsed the nets a bit, and that's it really. I don't think I'm going to get a lot of use out of it, outside of traveling. I know on the previous two boards there were posts/threads that listed "must have" Android apps, but I don't think that's been done here. If anyone feels like listing their favorite apps and/or widgets, customizations and the like that would be great. And actually, is there a how-to guide or FAQ for the most common features, options/settings and tasks floating around somewhere? This is my first foray in to Android. So far everything seems pretty intuitive, but a head start can't hurt.

I am fairly annoyed that the Economist app crashes pretty much continually when you flip pages. What the fuck is up with that?

Tuconots
    The app I use by far the most is Pocket (formerly known as "ReadItLater"). I go quickly though my RSS feeds on google reader and send all interesting-looking articles to pocket. That downloads it onto my tablet (and phone), so when I have a few minutes downtime, I can read an article real quick. Most awesome app ever.

There's also RepliGo Reader for PDFs. Second to none... the annotation options are pure awesome. I do most of my reading on the tablet with that app.

Then there's DropSync, which works together with the Dropbox app to do 2-way syncing of folders you select. That's how I keep the PDFs synced and organized.

Evernote is also an obvious choice. I already use the desktop version on both my PC and Mac, and I have the app installed on the tablet and the phone. Works very well and keeps everything in sync.

Tuconots
    So forgetting about the iPad mini for a moment, does anyone have firsthand experience with the Kindle Fire HD 7" tablet?
    I don't, but the general consensus is that the Nexus 7 is equal or better than the Kindle and not restricted by Amazon's hacked version of Android and it's the same price so there's not a lot of reason to pick up the Kindle over the Nexus.

Tuconots
    Windows Surface tablets are now at Best Buy if anyone was wanting to mess around with one.

Tuconots
    Taking a course next month that supposedly provides a Surface included with the course materials. Gonna see what it can do then. I'm guessing it's the 32GB (so, really 16GB) model.

They have MicroSD support, don't they?

Tuconots
    Yes, they do have a microSD card slot

Tuconots
    If anyone has experience with the Microsoft Surface I'd like to hear it. My wife seems to really want one, and I kind of looked at her like she was crazy cus ... lol Microsoft Tablet/Laptop hybrid. But in all honesty I don't know much about it. She already has a nook that I got her and she loves it...would there even be a reason for her to need a Nook + Surface?

Tuconots
    See e-ink vs. Tablet stuff on page 1. Some would say yes, some would say no. I'm in the "no" camp myself as I don't mind reading on a tablet (and the tablet can generally do many more other things).

Tuconots
    So I got the nexus 7 for the kids Christmas and Ive been fucking around with it here and there before I give it to them. Does anyone experience freezes? Like it works fine for a while, nice and responsive, then all of a sudden it just freezes up for a few seconds before it becomes responsive again. Is this an android issue or do I have a dud? If its an android issue does anyone have a fix?

Registered User The Dauntless One's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Not an Android issue. I suggest you do a factory reset and see if you still experience freezes.

Tuconots
    Yea I can't say that I have any freezes like that on mine.

Tuconots
    More than a little frustrated at how hard it is to get a nexus 10 right now.

kinda hilarious when I decided I'd pick up a nexus 4 instead, only to see that's also out of stock.

Congrats google. Now fire whoever was in charge of the play store.

Tuconots
    Yeah, placed my Nexus 4 pre-order two weeks ago. No indication of what's going on with it on Play, just says the order has been received and that's it.

I did manage to get my hands on a Nexus 10 though, so I guess that's good.

Tuconots
    So I returned my Nexus 7 to my local Office Depot. I just wanted an exchange so they gave me a new one. So I get out to the car and unpack the box from the sleeve and notice that its already been opened. WTF? I hate when stores do shady shit like this. So I go back to the store and they tell me its the last one. :/ So I went around town trying to find one but no dice wallmart, kmart, best buy.... So I ordered one from google play. Hopefully I dont get fucked. The website said they had the 32 gig in stock so well see. Seems like a hot item for xmas.

Tuconots
    The Nexus 10 shipped fairly quickly when I ordered it about a week ago. The Nexus 4 is a different story... took a little over 2 weeks. Now, of course, the waiting time is through the roof.

I have read, though have no idea how credible it is, that Google is selling the Nexus 4 at cost. So their only incentive to provide a lot of them is to promote the Android system.

Google seems to be slowly boarding the failboat, though. Canceling free services, moving free features to paid-only accounts (push notification on emails is not a damn premium feature), messing up the ordering system on the Google Play store... it's my understanding that they're also pretty much stopping with the book scanning for Google Books. And Gmail's interface needs to take a lesson from Office 365. Quite a shame, really.

Tuconots
    Google is swiftly becoming the target of retard hate on a lot of the dumber parts of the internet, but since Soriak always has the quality infoz I am a little disconcerted.

I haven't seen any of this stuff you're talking about, but now I'll look for it.

Google voice is quite frankly, crazy to provide for free. It has substantially increased my quality of life and their minutes to foreign countries are just dirt cheap, far cheaper than any other provider. Voicemail transcripts pretty much means I haven't listened to a voicemail in a year.

I figured google play was fucked because google generally is not in the retail business.

Tuconots
    I am not an iFanatic, but I was given an iPad2 as a gift a while ago, and I completely and utterly adore it. I have all my books on, music, browsing, games...everything! I will never, ever, ever abandon it. Precious....!

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Eomer View Post
    Yeah, placed my Nexus 4 pre-order two weeks ago. No indication of what's going on with it on Play, just says the order has been received and that's it.

I did manage to get my hands on a Nexus 10 though, so I guess that's good.
    I ordered within the first 2 minutes and my order history on Google Play says shipped and it will arrive on Thursday.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    More than a little frustrated at how hard it is to get a nexus 10 right now.

kinda hilarious when I decided I'd pick up a nexus 4 instead, only to see that's also out of stock.

Congrats google. Now fire whoever was in charge of the play store.
    Lol, people who get mad at Google for selling out Nexus 4 is funny. Go buy another phone at full price if you're frustrated you plebeian.

Tuconots
    The only times I notice slowdowns or freezes on my Nexus 7 is when Apps are updating/downloading in the background and I am trying to launch other apps while that is going on. Other than that, I love my Nexus 7
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn - In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

"That is not dead which can Eternal lie, and with strange Eons even death may die" - H. P. Lovecraft

Tuconots
    That might of been the case with mine, but the last straw was playing a netflix movie one night and I could not get to the UI from full screen after tapping it, or swiping with my finger for about 2 minutes, until it finally showed up so I could pause the movie. Then it happened again after the movie was done and the credits were running. I could not get the UI back.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by mkopec View Post
    That might of been the case with mine, but the last straw was playing a netflix movie one night and I could not get to the UI from full screen after tapping it, or swiping with my finger for about 2 minutes, until it finally showed up so I could pause the movie. Then it happened again after the movie was done and the credits were running. I could not get the UI back.
    Did you do a factory reset yet?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    I haven't seen any of this stuff you're talking about, but now I'll look for it.
    Small businesses (up to 10 people) used to get Google Apps for free, which has now been cancelled: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...826571350.html
    It was actually used a lot by individuals to manage their own domains. Existing users get to keep it, at least, but it's still a shame.

Google ActiveSync is going to go away for all non-paid accounts (including individual accounts) at the end of January: http://arstechnica.com/information-t...ree-customers/
    This means you'll continue to get push notification to Android devices, but everything else will instead only get updates as they sync. That's an issue for those using a desktop email client.

Google voice is quite frankly, crazy to provide for free.
    The reason they do it is because they use voicemails to train their voice recognition software. I have no problem with that, of course, and I'm a big fan of GV myself. But it's definitely not charity.

It has substantially increased my quality of life and their minutes to foreign countries are just dirt cheap, far cheaper than any other provider.
    Depends on your usage, I think. Skype offers unlimited international calls for $10/month. Calling over data instead of voice does mean worse quality, though, unless you're calling from your computer.

I figured google play was fucked because google generally is not in the retail business.
    Sure, but they've had some experience with it by now and should probably be able to do better...

The Google Books scale down I have no source for - that's just what I heard from librarians that work with Google. My guess would be that google books was used to train an algorithm and maybe they no longer need that (and now need to train it only on speech and images).

For what it's worth, I don't dislike Google. But for a long time now they've been well ahead of the pack. They may start to slip... if you have an @outlook account, the web interface really beats Gmail (except that it doesn't have the conversation view, I believe). Some major revamping might be overdue...

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dauntless One View Post
    Did you do a factory reset yet?
    I did before I returned it.

Tuconots
    All good points, with one minor quibble.

Skype rates suck a lot outside North America. I have the 3 dollar a month plan for unlimited USA & Canada, though.

For example, calls to landlines in Mexico, outside of Mexico City & Guadalajara are like 30 cents a minute on skype vs. 7 cents with google voice.

Unlimited Mexico City was like 80 dollars a month.

Thanks Carlos Slim!

Google is still my favorite giant evil corporation.

Tuconots
    I ordered then canceled a nexus 7 32 bit with Cell sim, I didn't like the lack of a memory card slot and no back camera. I ended up getting a Galaxy tab 7 for myself and my Mom. Mom used the snot out of the old Acer a500 10.1 but at 72 it is getting a little heavy for her. So she can try the 7" form factor and see if she can get used to it. If not, I'll snag a 10 in a after Christmas sale somewhere.

I really want a transformer infinity though, just do not want to drop 600 bucks for all the stuff when $179.00 is so reasonable. (for the 7" tab.)

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Srathor View Post
    I didn't like the lack of a memory card slot and no back camera
    Wha? 8MP rear camera and 1.3MP front camera

Tuconots
    My Nexus 7 gets the annoying freezing/stuttering occasionally. It didn't at first, but started after an update or something. It only happens when there's a lot of data being written to disk, like caching a streaming video, downloading a torrent, or transferring via USB.
    Counter proposal: I go home and jerk-off

Tuconots
    Joboo, The Nexus 7 does not have a Rear Camera. Nor a SD slot. Sadly

I really wanted one too because everything else is great on the thing. But oh well. Next iteration of them might fix that. In 6 months <sigh>

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboo View Post
    Wha? 8MP rear camera and 1.3MP front camera
    That's the Nexus 4.

Tuconots
    With USB OTG, isn't the lack of a memory slot fairly moot? I suppose it's not quite as convenient.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Srathor View Post
    Joboo, The Nexus 7 does not have a Rear Camera. Nor a SD slot. Sadly

I really wanted one too because everything else is great on the thing. But oh well. Next iteration of them might fix that. In 6 months <sigh>
    Don't hold your breath on the SD slot.

Tuconots
    SD slots seem to be going away. It's pretty lame. I have heard people from Google say that they don't like it because it makes things more complicated, but I think the OEMs just like being able to charge $100 for an extra 16 gigs of flash.

Tuconots
    Yep sorry, kept thinking Nexus 4, rather than 7. Thought I was in the Phone thread or something...bah

To add to the conversation though, I have a 16 GB Nexus 7 and I really don't find the lack of an SD slot a big deal. Between Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Music streaming, etc, there isn't a huge need for massive amounts of onboard storage. That being said, I'm pretty much never using it somewhere that doesn't have a wifi connection, my house, any friends house, my office, hotels when traveling, etc. A plane flight might be the only time you have no easy access to wifi, but you can easily still throw several movies on the device when needed, especially if you get the 32GB version. You don't need to be putting 10gig 1080p movies on it, the screen doesn't even support that so it's unneccessarily large file size, so it'll hold quite a few movies. 720p movies are usually like 3-4gigs apiece from most sites you would download them from.
    Last edited by joeboo; 12-18-2012 at 03:11 PM.

Tuconots
    Been looking for a tablet in the $150-200 range for my daughter to read and do various things on. Reviews of the Kindle Fire aren't amazing, plus I didn't want to have to deal with rooting to use the Play store as I'll be tech support on it for the indefinite future. Nexus 7 is better but doesn't have a rear camera or SD slot and I didn't really want to spend the full $200 on it.

Settled on a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 I found on sale. I own a Galaxy S2, and I think having front/rear cameras on this one will help when their mom wants to skype them, etc. Anyone used the Tab 2? Reviews were decent on it and I'm hoping I made a good choice. I guess we'll see after Christmas.
    Does the fact that I'm trying to do it do it for you?

on steam - notafunhater

Tuconots
    Im really liking that google play thing. Its fricken awesome. I uploaded about 10K songs to it and can pretty much stream them from anywhere with a wi-fi or any computer with an internet connection for that matter.

Tuconots
    Yeah its great, I spent a couple days last year uploading all of my 15,000ish mp3s to it, and now I have access to it wherever I go via my phone, tablet, ANY computer that I can log onto my google account, etc. I can't remember if there is a MB limit, or a # of files limit, but I didn't hit it at all, and that was like 200+ GB worth of mp3s.

Tuconots
    It said 20K file limit. So yeah its a limit but its huge nevertheless.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Eomer View Post
    With USB OTG, isn't the lack of a memory slot fairly moot? I suppose it's not quite as convenient.
    At least until this/ becomes available.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by mkopec View Post
    It said 20K file limit. So yeah its a limit but its huge nevertheless.
    Anything you buy from the Google store doesn't count towards that limit either.

Tuconots
    Question for the more tech-savy:

I have a "content-producing" job where I can telecommute quite frequently. I want to take this freedom and get even more out of it by traveling (in and out of the US) but still being able to work remotely. Sure, I could take a laptop, but I like to travel light and was thinking about tablets. Is the tablet technology of today at the point where I could remote-desktop into a powerful laptop or PC and run powerful software packages (I do a lot of statistical analysis and electromagnetic simulations)? I figure the real computer is doing all the legwork, and you're really just sending pixel information across the internet to the tablet. But what the fuck do I know?

So can I do something like this with a tablet, or should I just stick to netbooks/laptops?

Tuconots
    I find remote desktop programs via my tablet to work pretty well as long as you are just viewing information, or viewing files on the primary destkop, or basic copy/paste, or transferring files over a network. If you have to do a lot of input/typing, it's pretty damn tedious with a touchscreen tablet. I'm self employed and I keep my mileage log on my home computer, and I remoted into it to make entries once and it about drove me nuts, and that's just basic spreadsheet entry with a handful of fields/columns/rows. Shit took 10 times as long as when I sit in front of the keyboard at home doing it myself, and that was a pretty simple, basic program.

Tuconots
    So yeah, I'm glad I returned that other Nexus 7, because the one I got from goggle store tonight in the mail is like night and day in responsiveness.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Chile View Post
    Question for the more tech-savy:

I have a "content-producing" job where I can telecommute quite frequently. I want to take this freedom and get even more out of it by traveling (in and out of the US) but still being able to work remotely. Sure, I could take a laptop, but I like to travel light and was thinking about tablets. Is the tablet technology of today at the point where I could remote-desktop into a powerful laptop or PC and run powerful software packages (I do a lot of statistical analysis and electromagnetic simulations)? I figure the real computer is doing all the legwork, and you're really just sending pixel information across the internet to the tablet. But what the fuck do I know?

So can I do something like this with a tablet, or should I just stick to netbooks/laptops?
    I can't see making a tablet your only device. An ultrabook or a macbook air is hardly bigger than a tablet and you won't have to work around things nearly as much as you would with a tablet, plus you will have to have a keyboard if you want to do any real work with a tablet which makes the benefit vs. a thin PC pretty much nil.

Tuconots
    I've attempted to do this a couple of times and I can only describe the experience as somewhat frustrating. Yes, it can be done, but it's often an exercise in aggravation as you're counting on a stable network connection for this. When you're travelling, you don't always have a stable connection, especially if it's Wi-fi based, and remote desktops are all about latency. Every time you move the mouse, every time you type something and don't see a response for 10 seconds, you'll curse the fact that you don't have a real computer with you. Not to mention, sometimes, we're really unaware of exactly how many pixels are moving around when we do simple tasks (like minimize a window, or redraw a table, or... whatever) -- we expect these things to happen instantly, and they really don't.

Do yourself a favour and buy an ultralight or a netbook or something of the sort. It's more expensive, and it's not as light, but it's functional. Tablets (that aren't a Surface Pro) are, at best, a last resort for serious work.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    Rumor of a $99 Nexus 7 tablet gaining some foothold, I've seen this reported several places now over the last couple weeks

http://www.techspot.com/news/51149-g...-7-tablet.html

If it's the current 16GB Nexus 7 for $99, that would be huge, they'll dominate the 7" tablet market and it wont even be close. I'd have to imagine that it's going to be some scaled-back hardware though and not the current iteration of the Nexus 7, unless they're crazy enough to sell it at a huge loss in the hopes of driving everyone else out of the 7" market.

Tuconots
    It's already the clear cut best choice in the 7" market, by a pretty fair margin I believe. That would be like Apple making the iPad4 $200 when the 5 hits. It's just dropping the hammer on the competition.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Braen View Post
    Its not the only place that rates the N7 the best. I did quite a bit of research before buying mine and pretty much all places rated it the best 7" tablet.

And its a hot item this xmas too. Everywhere I went it was sold out, the 16 gig was even sold out in the net so I had to buy up to the 32 gig.

Tuconots
    Rumor of a $99 Nexus 7 tablet gaining some foothold, I've seen this reported several places now over the last couple weeks

If it's the current 16GB Nexus 7 for $99, that would be huge, they'll dominate the 7" tablet market and it wont even be close. I'd have to imagine that it's going to be some scaled-back hardware though and not the current iteration of the Nexus 7, unless they're crazy enough to sell it at a huge loss in the hopes of driving everyone else out of the 7" market.
    Better not be the same hardware, just got mine less than a month ago!

I think I saw a estimate of hardware costs per unit, I think it was ~$175 for the 8GB. Kinda nuts if they sell at that much of a loss. And to what end? Apple's brand name and loyalty skews economics so much that it isn't just a simple "sell at X loss to push out competitors". I'm betting there are a non-significant amount of ipad users that wouldn't even take a free Nexus 7.

Unrelated: please don't use the N7 abbreviation. It brings back bad memories of Mass Effect 3

Tuconots

Rumors of a $99 Google tab aren't new. I doubt it'll be the Nexus 7 since that's already running on the ragged edge of cost cutting as it is.

Tuconots
    http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-...ows-8-pro/home

Tuconots
    dis

Tuconots
    Just got a Nexus 7, is it just me or does the battery seem like it's draining crazy fast?

Been looking around the net and seems like maybe it's an issue with the latest update?

Tuconots
    Let it drain out all the way, fully charge it, and then do it once more. After that you should have 7-8 hours of active use on each full charge.
    Counter proposal: I go home and jerk-off

Tuconots
    Define crazy fast? My wife's had a problem with battery drain. Turned off letting google apps get your location, battery level stabilized. Maps won't be able to pinpoint your location though.

Tuconots
    Eh Im just used to my Ipad's charge lasting a few days with off and on usage. I fully charged it last night and now its down to 73% with very light usage in about 3 hours.

Tuconots
    I probably charge my Nexus 7 every 3 or 4 days. I don't use it a lot, just browing the web when I'm on the couch watching TV or something. So I probably get maybe 4-5 hours of use and the rest of the time is spent idle in those 3-4 days between charges. It does slowly drain even when the screen is off, as it's constantly updating apps and getting gmail/facebook notifications. Seems like everyday when I turn it on theres like 10+ notifications in my status bar from updates and messages that came down during idle time.

Tuconots
    I've turned wifi off in sleep mode now and disabled all the location crap. We'll see if it helps.

Is there an app to control my computer playing music via airplay to my receiver? Maybe Plex does that? (eh it's not pretty but there is an android app for my receiver that works)
    Last edited by Daezuel; 12-21-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Tuconots

I would be so pissed if they dropped the price that much. I just bought mine a couple months ago!

Tuconots
    Does anyone know what the return/exchange period on the Google Store is? My Nexus 10 has crashed a couple times already, and it seems from other posts that this isn't an uncommon problem. However, I'm outside the US for the holidays and can't return it until mid January - so about a month after I received it.

edit: just to be clear, I'm looking for an exchange - I love the thing.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    Shows that Apple users care more about other people knowing that they own an Apple than what they actually need it for

Tuconots
    Broke down and ordered a Asus Vivo win8 tablet the other day, Asus is currently running a promotion for mail in free docking station, and you can find it discounted about $80 less than the surface.

Thread Information