Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Star Trek Series - January 2017

Tuconots

New Star Trek Series - January 2017

Just saw this pop up. New Star Trek Series Premieres January 2017

Bout time for a new series.

Tuconots
    Heard it's the new Universe. I think that's a really good idea. Let the original Roddenberry one die in peace with it's creators, unless Harlan Ellison is planning on writing.

Tuconots
    So I had trouble understanding that article. Is the show going to be on normal TV and that CBS All Access thing, or only on the CBS All Access?

Tuconots
    Wait and see. They obviously want to use this as a flagship show for the service but 2 years is a long time. If the new movie makes a billion dollars you can bet your ass it will be on whatever nets the most cash. Whether that's TV or not...who can say? We're fast approaching the point where streaming shows are far more lucrative than the ad revenue generated on broadcast TV

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by lordvanduu View Post
    So I had trouble understanding that article. Is the show going to be on normal TV and that CBS All Access thing, or only on the CBS All Access?
    As I understand it, it will be an on demand thing. Which is weird to go only streaming, though i guess they are making a push to that as they charge for that service.

Edit: Or what Jait said

Tuconots
    Yup, a bit confused too, will I have to pay $6 a month to watch this when I already pay for cable? :/

Tuconots
    I think they're starting to hedge bets on the implosion of the cable/satellite model and more people cutting cord and going a'la carte. But as mentioned, I'd give good odds it will be over the air as well by the time it happens.

Tuconots
    Any Idea when this is set? Really holding out for a Post Voyager/DS9 World, Like Star Trek: Wars. I really dont want to see no original series prequel shit like enterprise or them having it set in the new universe before TNG.

Tuconots
    You hear a lot of stupid shit when you work and live where I do. Shit like "Hey I know a secret. Kylo Ren built his own lightsaber." Yeah, I fucking know. We all know. Don't all people who use them?

So what I've heard is there's a new Star Trek trilogy of films planned, and this series will take place in between them with Starfleet as the center of attention (edit: Becoming the Federation we know) with starships filled with guest cast members who feature for an episode, and help setup the vast storyline the later movies will feature.

Take it with a grain of salt. For all I know it's a Ferengi show.
    Last edited by Jait; 11-02-2015 at 05:40 PM.

Tuconots
    I'll be prepared for a flashy T.V. show that looks very good but will have some pretty shallow stories. We'll have to wait and see.

Vulgarian
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Jait View Post
    Wait and see. They obviously want to use this as a flagship show for the service but 2 years is a long time. If the new movie makes a billion dollars you can bet your ass it will be on whatever nets the most cash. Whether that's TV or not...who can say? We're fast approaching the point where streaming shows are far more lucrative than the ad revenue generated on broadcast TV
    That would erase Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Original Star Trek series and all the movies except the most recent two, for no reason. The recent movies remade the original series and so had a reason to retcon history in order to make the old time line not have a preordained future. It is likely the new series will be set some years after the Next generation timeline.

If that is the case then dropping the recent Star Trek movies into a separate universe and picking up new series with Star Trek lore intact would seem to be the wise choice. It is star trek after all and if you really want to use recent star trek movies for something then a convenient teleporter accident can always be arranged to pull characters across from the other universe.

SPECIAL BEAM CANNON
    Tuconots
    Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new Star Trek TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films Star Trek (2009) with Roberto Orci, and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)
    On one hand the later Next Generation films and Star Trek Enterprise were miserable abominations that tanked the franchise and Star Trek Open Bracket 2009 Close Bracket was a refreshing and fun sci-fi adventure. On the other hand I don't think this show will be a return to the quality writing and story telling of the Next Generation television series or DS9.

Tuconots
    I want a gritty ST show ala Star Trek meets Spartacus. Lots of alien titties and disintegrations as well as over the top CG space battles. Yes.

Registered Dragonlord Deathwing's Avatar
    Tuconots
    As long as Lindelof isn't involved, I consider it an improvement. We'll see how Abrams does with the new Star Wars, but I'm starting to consider his involvement as a somewhat negative too. Basically what sukik said.

Tuconots
    It is 100% online-only for their new All-Access premium service. Seems to be they are using this as a means to push adoption of such a thing in much the same way that Star Trek: The Next Generation did for first-run syndication in the late 80s.

The silly bit being, of course, that it is far more likely that people will just pirate the fuck out of this rather than pay $6 a month for yet another online service...either that or buy the episodes ala carte from Amazon or whoever.

Tuconots
    I'm with Qhue. Unless a beancounter proves otherwise, this is clearly meant to be a flagship show for the new service. You people (yes, "you people") are the reason why. We all told HBO we cancelled 5 years ago because we only watched it for Game of Thrones. They noticed. Everyone noticed. Welcome to a la carte tv shows. Probably the best way for me, I only turn on my TV once a week for sports and pay for the full fucking thing.

Tuconots
    Flagship show for torrenting services?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalan View Post
    I want a gritty ST show ala Star Trek meets Spartacus. Lots of alien titties and disintegrations as well as over the top CG space battles. Yes.
    So....ToS?
    Quote Originally Posted by lurkingdirk View Post
    So if my kids come to church with me until they leave home, it's indoctrination?

Tuconots
    Pretty sure the TV show will be on both CBS network AND on their whatever-digital-new-thing is
    Star Trek New Star Trek Series Premieres January 2017

“This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run Star Trek series has gone before – directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,” said Marc DeBevoise, Executive Vice President/General Manager – CBS Digital Media. “We’ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic Star Trek, and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.”

Not much hints on what the timeline is going to be though:

The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

I'd be cool with a 20-years-past-TOS/movie. I imagine they want it on Enterprise but don't want to use Kirk/Spock to keep the movie and TV shows seperate. I guess they could go on a different ship too but it would be kinda dumb to always talk about Kirk/Spock/Enterprise but never show them.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalan View Post
    By Jupiter's Spock!
    Calling me a Cunt is a lot like calling Hitler a Nazi, it's not exactly received as the insult you were intending.

Star Citizen referral code - [STAR-C3G4-2XMJ]

Tuconots
    Taken from the press release :

CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new Star Trek television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the Star Trek franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.
    So U.S. people get to see the first episode on the air and then have to use digital whereas international types get it on TV and other platforms (aka iTunes etc)

Tuconots
    And that answers that

Tuconots
    So in other words don't even bother watching the first episode because we're not signing up for a CBS service either? Thanks for nothing, Obama.

Tuconots
    You mean Thanks for nothing Hillary.

Tuconots
    don't worry President Trump will declare the Klingons a terrorist organization and make all Star Trek episodes mandatory viewing in Trump cubes across the nation, in preparation for our invasion of Uranus

Banned
    Tuconots
    Didn't know we had this thread, Damn. Saw this today:
    http://www.wired.com/2016/02/bryan-f...r-trek-series/

And made a new star trek thread like a fucking momo.

Tuconots
    So Bryan Fuller (DS9, Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me, Hannibal), Nicholas Meyer (Wrath of Khan), Alex Kurtzman (Hercules, Xena, Fringe, Star Trek reboot movie) are running this and they brought in Gene Roddenberry's estate in the form of Rod Roddenberry who runs that end of things.

Seems like they have all their bases covered, yet no casting or any other production info

Tuconots
    You had me at Bryan Fuller.

Tuconots
    I dunno after Voyager and Enterprise were mishandled and the reboot basically turned the franchise to generic action sci-fi, I am firmly dubious. Don't get me wrong, the new Trek movies were pretty decent AND they were 100% necessary to save the IP but the mistake of turning the entire franchise into shallow sci-lite-fi is almost assuredly going to happen. Just look at how well all the fancy-pants super hero shows are doing and I am skeptical that they will come away with anything as good as TOS/TNG/DS9 (adjusted for creative inflation).

Tuconots
    this will be the greatest show in the history of mankind and some BitTorrent server downloading it will become sentient from analyzing it and benevolently create a Utopian society for humans

and then President Trump will send in an AI kill squad to destroy it and so will begin the skynet wars

Tuconots
    I think that despite very successful standalone movies like Wrath of Khan, the Star Trek story is better served as an episodic piece. That allows long term character development and a variety of stand alone adventures. Ideally at some happy medium between the status-quo enforcement of the original series and the Babylon5 mega arc of DS9. I think by the end that Enterprise had settled on a viable framework, it just took them too long to get there.

Tuconots
    I hope I'm wrong, because TNG and DS9 are two of my favorite shows, but I think Star Trek is past it's time. You have us nerds who will watch, but studios want more than just nerds. They want Joe and Jane Random to boost rating numbers. That why we ended up with the JJ movies. More action, more grit, more CGI. I personally like the JJ movies for what they were. I enjoy the cast and how they play off eachother. But I certainly see how they can turn off die hard Trek purists. Even liking them I cringe at parts.
    Look at Sci-fi shows lately. Lots of grit and grime, sex, and violence. It works sometimes, but that's not Trek.
    Shows like GoT and movies like Deadpool just add fuel to they "make everything R" crowd's argument. You see it almost every thread here. "Man I'd love to see an R rated Vader movie" "This show would be so much better on HBO with tits" etc... Studios see and hear this and that's what they try to deliver, and in certain cases it works, but not for Trek. Looks at SG:Universe. They saw how Casuals liked BSG and they tried to copy that. It didn't work. It was a decent show, but it wasn't Stargate.
    Like I said, I hope I'm wrong because I really want new Trek. I just feel we're going to get a show like Scandal... in space.

Also, screw CBS All Access.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakain View Post
    ILook at Sci-fi shows lately. Lots of grit and grime, sex, and violence. It works sometimes, but that's not Trek.
    Shows like GoT and movies like Deadpool just add fuel to they "make everything R" crowd's argument. You see it almost every thread here. "Man I'd love to see an R rated Vader movie" "This show would be so much better on HBO with tits" etc... Studios see and hear this and that's what they try to deliver
    This just isn't true. For starters, what people want is for movies that should be rated R to be rated R, not PG13. And as for the studios trying to deliver, lolwut? Deadpool is the first superhero movie to be rated R since Blade 3. PG13 Die Hard was a travesty. Studios don't try to deliver R rated content, they do everything they can to avoid delivering R rated content.

I agree that the new movies have gone in the wrong direction for Star Trek though and have pretty low expectations of a new Trek series.
    Draegan is a faggoty piece of shit who sold the forum to mmorpg.com just to spite us. Register at the new site.

ReReRolled.org - A Gaming Community

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinmad View Post
    And as for the studios trying to deliver, lolwut?
    I guess I meant what they are try to do with movies now. "Holy shit Deadpool made money! R rated Wolverine! R rated Superman! What other movies can we make R rated?"

My main point was TV though... GoT has been out for 5-6 years now and there are so many shows trying to be the next GoT. But when you try and put them on basic cable or network TV you get crap. For example this Gods and Prophets crap they advertise on ABC non stop. I'm guessing it's David and Goliath? It's a fucking bible story little kids in Sunday school learn about. But why is it Viewer Discretion is Advised? Becsuse they're going to try and pump in sex and violence to appeal to a younger broader audience.

In the Panhandle waiting for death by Tornado.
    Tuconots
    I would certainly be okay with a more serious or even R rated Star Trek. You can have serious subject matter with out losing what Star Trek is about (Hope, Humanity etc). In fact having a serious subject matter could be used to make the contrast with Star Fleet more stark. It would just require some solid vision and writing.

Tuconots
    I love DS9 so much I basically just want them to do another story very similar to that.

But it would also be really cool if they set this series in the parallel universe where there is no longer a federation cause president spock went all pacifist and then the klingon cardasian alliance fucked them up.
    oppressed terans fighting to create a new federation or something.
    Last edited by uncognito; 03-08-2016 at 11:00 PM.

Tuconots
    So what you're saying is... bring back Firefly

Tuconots
    They saw how Casuals liked BSG and they tried to copy that. It didn't work. It was a decent show, but it wasn't Stargate.
    Come on - I love me some Stargate, but strip away nostalgia and I think BSG (especially before it went weird towards the end) was absolutely a better show by more or less any metric, as much as you can objectively rate things like that.

BSG did something rare for a scifi series and actually really tapped into the zeitgeist of the whole post-9/11 era, as well as creating an engaging cast of characters and emotionally involving story arcs for them, whereas Stargate, as much as I enjoyed it, was really generic "a bunch of heroes fight evil aliens in space (aka: Canada)" show, outside of the whole "ancient aliens" premise and the ability to throw in some decent humor here and there without cheesing up the show any further.
    Last edited by Azrayne; 03-12-2016 at 10:02 PM.
    " I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrayne View Post
    Come on - I love me some Stargate, but strip away nostalgia and I think BSG (especially before it went weird towards the end) was absolutely a better show by more or less any metric, as much as you can objectively rate things like that.

BSG did something rare for a scifi series and actually really tapped into the zeitgeist of the whole post-9/11 era, as well as creating an engaging cast of characters and emotionally involving story arcs for them, whereas Stargate, as much as I enjoyed it, was really generic "a bunch of heroes fight evil aliens in space (aka: Canada)" show, outside of the whole "ancient aliens" premise and the ability to throw in some decent humor here and there without cheesing up the show any further.
    BSG was easily the better show production wise but it got so preachy and ridiculous by the end it was really a disappointment.

Without going into it too much I thought the pacing of the show was more like a soap opera and every once in a while they'd go "oh shit, we've been doing this for 6 episodes" then just throw crazy stuff into the mix. It was still a great show but it had problems just like SG.

Tuconots
    I dunno about preachy, I think it just hit the "oh shit we've actually got to find a way to end this", and instead of sitting down and working it out to put together an ending that made sense, they just threw together a bunch of stuff inspired by the creator's religious beliefs and some metaphysical mumbo jumbo and called it a day. Lazy and incoherent? Sure. But it never felt preachy.

That said, I think if you ignore the way they winged the main storyline for basically the last 2 seasons, a lot of the smaller arcs were still great and had a ton of emotional resonance. Like when they found Earth and it turned out to be a nuclear wasteland and the way everyone reacted to that (the scene where Apollo's wife killed herself was intense), watching them forced into working with one of the Cylons, watching the Cylons splinter as they tried to learn how to function as a society and failed, the Zarek/Gaiter mutiny, watching the Galactica fall apart, etc. Even the ending, although it made no sense from a narrative standpoint, was fairly touching emotionally, with Adama flying off with Roslin, Starbuck's disappearance, Tyrol bailing on humanity, etc.

Like I said, I'm a big Stargate fan, but it just didn't have anything like that. It was great for what it was, but they're on completely different levels.
    " I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"

Tuconots
    I dunno, the first season started off fairly formulaic (new lack of resource -> find resource -> cylons show up -> win but lose people -> speech and sex scene -> repeat). Baltar was absolutely insufferable as a character. The mysticism drug trip bullshit that Starbuck had was just unnecessary. Season 2 was definitely the best thing about that show and there were standalone episodes that were amazing, especially the ones involving making harsh decisions and to watch the people try to keep a civilization running on fumes. But overall I felt it was a messy soap opera held together with good acting and good production/editing. That and amazing but too infrequent space battles.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrayne View Post

I don't know if you read my comment wrong. I was trying to say BSG was a good show that had a lot of success, so a lot of sci-fi tried to copy that success with poor results.

Groundbreaking new ideas come around so little, and the laziness of Hollywood is pathetic.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadaar View Post
    So what you're saying is... bring back Farscape
    Fixed that for you ;P

Tuconots
    Star Trek WATCH: Teaser Trailer for New Star Trek Series

Teaser trailer doesn't show anything, but still exciting. I am afraid the CBS all access requirement is going to flop and just turn this into another "most pirated show of all time".

Tuconots
    now with embed!
    can't wait for this, feels like TV has been missing a show for too long now

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Malevolus View Post
    Star Trek WATCH: Teaser Trailer for New Star Trek Series

Teaser trailer doesn't show anything, but still exciting. I am afraid the CBS all access requirement is going to flop and just turn this into another "most pirated show of all time".
    They would have been better off just placing this on CBS, unless by access limiting this, they can show green chicks with no cloths. Yes this will be pirated just as fast as Game of Thrones is.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Palum View Post
    BSG was easily the better show production wise but it got so preachy and ridiculous by the end it was really a disappointment.

Without going into it too much I thought the pacing of the show was more like a soap opera and every once in a while they'd go "oh shit, we've been doing this for 6 episodes" then just throw crazy stuff into the mix. It was still a great show but it had problems just like SG.
    BSG was pretty good up until starbuck died in the gas giant / nebula thing to the soundtrack of Jimmy Hendrix.

And then it just got weird.

I still liked it, I still watched the whole thing (even the mid season net extras). But man, they completely ran the fuck out of steam for the main plot. I did keep watching it just to see how the character arcs would end up though -- they had a decent hook there. And I liked the last episode a lot. Basically what Azrayne said. They hit a point where you could almost SEE them go, "Uhh.. we didn't really think this through".

Tuconots
    I have watched every Star Trek series except Voyager, will watch this too. Looking forward to it.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Cad View Post
    I have watched every Star Trek series except Voyager, will watch this too. Looking forward to it.

Without Voyager, we would never have had President Obama. Its true
    How the Jeri Ryan scandal gives us Barack Obama

Tuconots
    I watched like half of the first season of voyages. Then they did a neelix episode where every third word was "lung". That's only a mild exaggeration. It was no more than every seventh.

I noped out and never looked back.

I'll give this one a shot. I even liked some episodes of enterprise, when they didn't do the time travel garbage.

Tuconots
    Just watch Future's End b/c it is funny to see Ed Begley Jr and Sarah Silverman. Scorpion is good b/c it is the Borg and first Jeri Ryan. Year of Hell was pretty good for some pew pew and explosions.

That's about all I can remember. There was a Doctor episode or two worth a damn, maybe it was the one with Broccoli.
    Pussy bitch Draegan sold us out to MMORPG.com

Exodus underway to Rererolled - A Gaming Community

Oh and sorta fuck Tuco too.

Tuconots
    My guess:

Hype hype hype hype hype hype

430ff482f5d0b3952f378e649da0c120696e6725.jpg

2014 Hearthstone Champion slippery's Avatar
    Tuconots
    I feel like I should be very strongly preparing myself for disappointment

Streaming mostly Hearthstone or Overwatch
    Battletag - tehslippery#1869

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by spronk View Post

Without Voyager, we would never have had President Obama. Its true
    How the Jeri Ryan scandal gives us Barack Obama
    No you can thank retarded judges for that. They unsealed their divorce papers against the wishes of Jeri and Jack.

Tuconots
    star trek beyond trailer, july 22 in theaters

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by spronk View Post
    star trek beyond trailer, july 22 in theaters

Wrong thread and looks retarded.

Tuconots
    I want this to be good. But it is not going to be is it?

Tuconots
    I watched all Star Trek series and still sometimes watch random reruns on TV. Even Star Trek : Enterprise grew on me and i watched it all. The new remake movies suck ass imo: Who needs a crew of unlikable characters in an alternate universe doing dumb shit? If the new series is anything like that, i'll pass.

Tuconots
    I am getting a True Detective type vibe. Each season being a full storyline and then moving to another ship/crew/setting the next year.

In the trailer it does say... New CrewS. Not new Crew...
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn - In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

"That is not dead which can Eternal lie, and with strange Eons even death may die" - H. P. Lovecraft

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Braen View Post
    I am getting a True Detective type vibe. Each season being a full storyline and then moving to another ship/crew/setting the next year.

In the trailer it does say... New CrewS. Not new Crew...
    Noticed that as well, and honestly it might not be a bad idea.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Zindan View Post
    Noticed that as well, and honestly it might not be a bad idea.
    It sounds like a great way to ensure that every season lives up to the exceedingly high standards set by the first season of any scifi series.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Gask View Post
    It sounds like a great way to ensure that every season lives up to the exceedingly high standards set by the first season of any scifi series.

Yea, the chemistry is basically awful in the first season of all the Trek series.

Tuconots
    God, I watched Encounter at Farpoint and some others of TNG a few weeks back and I remembered back to the 80s when I watched it on TV on release.
    Back then I was so hyped for Star Trek I loved it, but watching it again now I wondered how the series didn't get canceled off the bat.
    Everything was night and day compared to say a season 3 episode. Acting, chemistry, even special effects, sound and lighting all vastly improved.

Still sad Tera Nova got canceled in season 1. I think all Sci-fis should be 2-3 seasons minimal. Short version I agree with Palum. Season 1 is just awkward for any cast in any series to begin with. Expect bad, look at the basics to determine possibility.

2014 Hearthstone Champion slippery's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Networks today can't see potential, they can only see current numbers. They don't know how to let a show grow. Limitless got canned, there is no chance this makes it.

Streaming mostly Hearthstone or Overwatch
    Battletag - tehslippery#1869

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Palum View Post
    Yea, the chemistry is basically awful in the first season of all the Trek series.
    Yeah, put me in for the "this sounds like a terrible idea" as far as a new crew/ship every season. TNG would have sucked if they had ditched JLP and crew after just one season. Part of the Star Trek allure is the sentiment that gets built for the characters over time.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Olebass View Post
    God, I watched Encounter at Farpoint and some others of TNG a few weeks back and I remembered back to the 80s when I watched it on TV on release.
    Back then I was so hyped for Star Trek I loved it, but watching it again now I wondered how the series didn't get canceled off the bat.
    Everything was night and day compared to say a season 3 episode. Acting, chemistry, even special effects, sound and lighting all vastly improved.

Still sad Tera Nova got canceled in season 1. I think all Sci-fis should be 2-3 seasons minimal. Short version I agree with Palum. Season 1 is just awkward for any cast in any series to begin with. Expect bad, look at the basics to determine possibility.
    I saw that episode at a convention in Tampa as a 15 year old. It was fun but i thought it wouldn't last. Thank god it got better.

Tuconots
    We just got a family pic of us (a few hours ago) with Shatner at the Dallas Comic Con. He talked to my kids a little, and he gave me a fistbump. I think I'm now a better person by 15%. I felt power go out from him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nester View Post
    No, his super power is super preparedness. So basicly the. Best gay date of your life, cooks your favourite meal, has your favourite song in the back ground, playing your favorite game while drinking your favourite scotch. He knows what you like and it sets the mood, also Lots of lube and just enough forplay. He is batman he is ready for YOU as he has dedicated his life to being ready to do the things others can't and wont.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyrical View Post
    We just got a family pic of us (a few hours ago) with Shatner at the Dallas Comic Con. He talked to my kids a little, and he gave me a fistbump. I think I'm now a better person by 15%. I felt power go out from him.
    That's pretty awesome.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Chanur View Post
    That's pretty awesome.
    My first Comic Con in 20 years was at the KC one. Since then, I've been on a tear, getting family pics to frame in the mancave. So far, it's been Stan Lee, Manu Bennett, William Shatner, the current Dr. Who, Jon Bernthal (Punisher) and Joffrey. You can tell the ones that are into the culture and the ones that are just in it for a paycheck. We went to go get a family pic with Iris from the Flash, and you could tell she wasn't into it. We turned right back around with her. Maybe she has some sort of social disorder?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nester View Post
    No, his super power is super preparedness. So basicly the. Best gay date of your life, cooks your favourite meal, has your favourite song in the back ground, playing your favorite game while drinking your favourite scotch. He knows what you like and it sets the mood, also Lots of lube and just enough forplay. He is batman he is ready for YOU as he has dedicated his life to being ready to do the things others can't and wont.

Tuconots
    I never thought to get pictures at other cons. Its been quite a while since I have been to a comic or gaming con. Phone's didn't have the camera's they have now days and digital was fairly new. A 3mp digital camera was pretty good at the time.

Tuconots
    It could work, but the writing has to be there. It's a bold strategy, cotton.

A big part of Star Trek is the chemistry between the crew/actors. But it can also drag them down. You have episodes that use that chemistry as a crutch, and you're not really watching Star Trek you're watching Days of our Lives: In SPACE.

But then you have every Quark episode EVER in which he plays the greedy space jew with a hidden heart of gold pressed latinum... and i'm ok with the occasional Friendzone Bashir pines over Dax... again.
    Last edited by Iannis; 06-05-2016 at 11:29 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Iannis View Post
    It could work, but the writing has to be there. It's a bold strategy, cotton.

A big part of Star Trek is the chemistry between the crew/actors. But it can also drag them down. You have episodes that use that chemistry as a crutch, and you're not really watching Star Trek you're watching Days of our Lives: In SPACE.

But then you have every Quark episode EVER in which he plays the greedy space jew with a hidden heart of gold pressed latinum... and i'm ok with the occasional Friendzone Bashir pines over Dax... again.
    But they shoot Vorta Iggy Pop in the chest! That shit is fantastic.

Tuconots
    When I watched Game of Thrones for the first time and saw the leader of the Dorns I was like OMG ITS BASHIR and my wife looked at me like I was crazy.
    She never watched DS:9.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Nidhogg View Post
    When I watched Game of Thrones for the first time and saw the leader of the Dorns I was like OMG ITS BASHIR and my wife looked at me like I was crazy.
    She never watched DS:9.
    I saw him in Syriana and I yelled out DR BASHIR STILL GETTING WORK!

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by slippery View Post
    Networks today can't see potential, they can only see current numbers. They don't know how to let a show grow. Limitless got canned, there is no chance this makes it.
    Firefly.

Tuconots
    HBO needs to get the rights to remake Star Trek TOS.

Tuconots
    Not everything needs to be remade

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by radditsu View Post
    I saw him in Syriana and I yelled out DR BASHIR STILL GETTING WORK!
    He was fucking brilliant in Syriana, I was stoked when they tapped him for GOT but think they definitely wasted his potential.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Not everything needs to be remade
    They are going to remake it at some point might as well do it right.

Tuconots
    I think for some countries Netflix has added ALL the Star Trek TV shows to its catalog today. 531 episodes of TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise. I'm not sure about the US. All should be disappearing though from everything by end of the year, when they get moved to CBS Prime.

Also Dark Matter and Killjoys return tonight for season 2, both fantastic shows worth a watch if you like sci fi. Mr. Robot starts July 13th

its the golden age of sci fi!
    Last edited by spronk; 07-01-2016 at 04:55 PM.

Tuconots
    I am pretty excited for Killjoys. That show really got good at the end.

Tuconots
    I still watch Star Trek: Next Generation every now and then, something about it just shows the better side of humanity. I should have said "try to watch" because everytime it's on TV it's the "Shades of Grey" flashback episode where it's 50 minutes of Riker's sexual encounters, just copied and pasted from the previous two seasons. That was the worst hour of television I've ever seen in my life, my god.

Tuconots
    Pfft, that episode isn't even the worst hour of television in that season of TNG:

The Outrageous Okona (episode - Memory Alpha - Wikia)

The Dauphin (episode - Memory Alpha - Wikia)

Don't get me wrong, TNG has some great shit as well, and it gets better as it goes, but for every The Inner Light or The Measure of a Man, there are 2 or 3 unwatchable turds.

Tuconots
    Okana wasn't that bad. It was intentionally playing with the format.

But The Dauphin was a big ol turd.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    That ship is fugly.

Tuconots
    28 mins later, vid unavailable. damn.
    Quote Originally Posted by lurkingdirk View Post
    So if my kids come to church with me until they leave home, it's indoctrination?

Tuconots
    Did the Klingon's design that ship? wtf
    PSN: Araxen, Xbox Live: Araxen II, WiiU: Araxen, Steam: Araxen

Tuconots
    That looks awful. Basically like multiculturalism star trek where klingons and federation are building ships together.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantatus View Post
    What the shit is that ugly thing, is this a fan made video because it looks terrible?

Tuconots
    Looks worse than some fan made videos. What were they thinking? Not impressed at all.

Tuconots
    I listened to it again (with sound) and no doubt in my mind that this is like Klingons join the federation type thing. The 'Klingon' theme elements to the music are pretty obvious. I am wondering if this is the first truly mixed engineered and crewed ship.

Tuconots
    That is some horrible CGI. My god that is bad.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Brahma View Post
    Dude, it seriously looks like "Baby's 1st 3D Studio Project".

SPECIAL BEAM CANNON
    Tuconots
    A model would have cost less and looked better.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Izo View Post
    28 mins later, vid unavailable. damn.
    I think it's restricted by country. This mirror should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Brahma View Post
    They've said it's rough "promotional" work and doesn't reflect what it'll look like on the show. One of the producers said the ship design isn't really even finalized at this point.

It's also worth noting that Fuller confirmed the show won't be episodic, but will have an over-arching storyline, and that he's trying to invoke more of the optimistic tone of Roddenberry. It's also set in the Prime timeline (ie not the movie universe).

Fuller stated that the new series needed to remind the audience of Star Trek’s message of hope and optimism for the future, and continue to be progressive and push boundaries. Fuller believes that we have to celebrate a progression of our species, but that we need a little help. The new series will not be episodic, but will instead tell stories like a novel chapter by chapter.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek Movie article
    When asked about the increased representation of the new series Kadin said that women and LGBTQ characters (on and off screen) will be important to Star Trek Discovery.
    LUL okay

Tuconots
    They better still make time for some holodeck episodes in this TV-novel!

Also I will be bummed out if this is set any time pre-nemesis. fuck prequels

Tuconots
    That... looks like shit.. a mashup fed/klingon ship. Doesn't look like it was a ship created post tng/ds9/voy era, considering all the sleek looking ship designs during those eras.

In a packed panel during San Diego Comic-Con, the name of the new Star Trek series—which, in the grand tradition of Star Trek, is also the name of the ship—was revealed. In a press conference after the panel, executive producers Bryan Fuller and Heather Kadin gave just a few more details about the show.

First off, Fuller answered the question of whether the Discovery, just revealed, was based on Ralph McQuarrie’s ‘70s designs for the Enterprise. Fuller said it was, but “to a point that we can’t legally comment on it until [our legal team] figures out some things.”

Kadin was asked about being a woman working behind the scenes of the show and what that meant, and she answered that she takes inspiring women seriously and that Fuller does, too. “As a female, you’ll see, when you start to hear more about the series, that that’s a big part of it,” she added.

Fuller put to rest the speculation about which universe the show was set in, saying “It is in the prime timeline.” He couldn’t say exactly when in the timeline would be set, however.

“I don’t think we’re supposed to say yet because there areso many new things about this series,” Fuller said. that “There’s a lot of new and exciting things we’re doing with this show, that we [don’t] want to [over]saturate you.”

Tuconots
    Most speculation I've read is that it's set somewhere post-Enterprise, pre-TNG. Considering they're going for a design from the 70s for the ship and wanting a tone more similar to the original, that seems to make the most sense. I do wonder how the Roddenberry style optimism will do this time around though. I recently heard that one of the things attributed to the improvement of TNG in the second season (aside from Riker's facial hair) was that they started moving away from the futuristic utopian tone Roddenberry wanted by introducing the Romulan and having more conflict in the show.

Thread Information