Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waikiki Hawaii.

Tuconots

Waikiki Hawaii.

So my wife, daughter and I were going to take our first cruise. We looked it over and found one we really wanted to take. It was going to be a great time. My wife's parents are recently retired, and they're traveling all over the world. I thought it might be a good idea to ask if they would like to join us on the cruise. I don't speak Japanese, so it's not like they're a pain in the ass as far as I'm concerned. Plus, realistically, they would make this less expensive anyway. My wife's dad loves to pay for shit, so if we decided to do ANY of the excursions and stuff, he'll gladly put out the cash. I try to pay around him, and he gets annoyed. Oh well, if you have it, why not.

Anyway, we spoke to them about this cruise for a little over a week, and right before we finally booked our tickets, they came back that they've been thinking about visiting Hawaii, and maybe we should go there instead. Price was definitely an issue, so we quickly said no. Their response was to pay the same we would for the cruise, and they would cover the rest. Win. So yeah, I'm going to Hawaii from November 29th through December 6th.

We're staying at the Hilton Waikiki Beach Village Resort (god damn is that a long name). It should be a lot of fun. Outside of touring Pearl Harbor, taking the Lost tour, and generally just enjoying the island, what other things would you guys suggest that I try to take in while I'm there?

Any suggestions are helpful. Also, great places to eat? Thanks!

MAKE EARTH EXTINCT AGAIN! Abefroman's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Go to the North shore for the surfing or to watch. Diamonhead is also pretty neat and a very nice view, just make sure you bring some water with because the climb. There is a little food court that has Japanese food and othe Asian food near waikiki beach near the Outrigger Reef on the Beach hotel.

I'll see if i can remember anything else later today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodleface
    Marriage is the best, I love having sex with my husband and giving him BJ's when I'm on my period

Tuconots
    My friend actually just recently got married at the Hilton on Waikiki. I stayed at the Hale Koa next door which is military-only but costs about 1/3 what the Hilton runs.

The zoo on/near Waikiki is pretty good and I'm sure your daughter would like it.

Diamond Head is probably the most famous hike on Oahu and should be do-able for your daughter (not sure on her age) since it is paved about halfway up then becomes unpaved but relatively easy. There are old bunkers up there from WW2 era.

If you're looking for snorkeling there is a spot (I think you probably need a boat, though) where you can routinely swim with sea turtles. I forget the actual name but it is near the bend at the south of Waikiki by that pretty famous indoor pool the famous Hawaiian swimmer used to train.

Its a great island. Hilton is pretty cool because it has an attached shopping center as well with an ABC for all your booze related needs and snacks and things of that nature.

As for eating the best place I went was Roy's but it was expensive. I think all told for my wife and myself it was over $100 -- I think closer to $150. But it was delicious. I went to Ramen Nakamura as well which was really good. That is about maybe a 15-20m walk from the Hilton. It is in the expansive shopping district on Waikiki.

Tuconots
    Just get this blue guide book
    Oahu Revealed: The Ultimate Guide to Honolulu, Waikiki Beyond: Andrew Doughty, Leona Boyd: 9780983888703: Amazon.com: Books

They basically pillage the entire island for all the best spots, they also have an app you pay a few bucks for if you want to go that way instead, not bad it links w/ gmaps/waze really easily so you can just click and go.

are you gonna rent a car? last time i went to o ahu i actually walked and took all public transportation, actually worked pretty well, just d/l the apps for the bus schedules. I'm guessing your in laws are japanese? well waikiki is like japan town for them, they'll love it. ONE thing i would suggest is if they can act NOT japanese would be best if you're buying souvenirs, those dirty Hawaiians seem to LOVE Japanese Tourists since they buy anything, they'll be "konnichiwa" all day long w/ your in-laws if you let that happen.

Events happening while on Oahu for a Hawaii vacation. | Hawaii Revealed

also you do know Pearl Harbor is the 7th?

Diamond head is a pretty nice way to spend the morning, i'd go early to avoid lots of ppl, it's not a bad hike, some parts you'll have to slow down for the inlaws.
    iolani palace was ok, it was just 2 floors, for a palace, it was bleh, but it is the only Palace on US soil, i think there was something about a big ass red carpet.
    polynesian cultural center wasn't bad to waste a day, kinda like a theme park to look at Somoans climbing trees and husking coconuts, they probably have the best Luau show, the food was bleh (as most luau's basically buffet hawaiian), but if you want to experience a Luau, it should be from here.

it's also best to buy your own snorkel if you plan to do that, since renting cheap ones is the same price anyway.

Tuconots
    Current PAD monsters: monster box
    Ishad-Barbarian

Tuconots
    Spending 2 weeks in hawaii split up evenly between kuaui poipu breach, lahaina maui, and waikoloa on hawaii.

These names may as well be french I can't keep shit straight, hoping the old lady has everything lined up.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
    kuaui poipu breach
    are you sub-consciously trying to prepare an asiany accent?

Tuconots
    i just wanted to use a fucking consonant.

Tuconots
    I just got back from a week in Waikiki, it was pretty dope! Make sure to check out Nicco's 38 if you like fish. The fish market is right next door and it's the freshest seafood I've ever had, try the poke!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evernothing View Post
    Dwayne Hekotat Alozondo Mountain Dew Comacho
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabamf View Post
    She's done riding the dick train and you're the beta provider. Disregard your feelings; break up with her and die alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by kegkilla View Post
    let it be known that IRB is in favor of rolling cripples out onto the battlefield.

Tuconots
    lived on Oahu for a few years,

i suggest snorkeling at either Three Tables or Shark's Cove (no actual sharks) they are touristy but not as packed Hanama(sp?) Bay.

The Kona Brewery has a fantastic view and jet ski rentals right outside. they are governed so dont plan on going too fast.

The Lost Tour is fun but a bit expensive.

The hilton has a Luau every friday with fireworks but if you want a more "authentic" one try turtle cove it has a fantastic show and the prices were reasonable.

remember that there is a lot of theft in Hawaii and some of the locals aren't big fans of visitors. My wife's purse was grabbed at the mall until the dude tripped and got a knee to the back of his neck until the cops arrived, and i cant count the amount of times ive heard of people leaving items in bags near the shore to come back with it missing. Hawaii is a beautiful place, just be careful with your belongings.

Tuconots
    yea w/ hawaii i was told by my b&b lady to leave nothing in your rental car and trunk and to NOT lock the doors. This way thieves can check your car out, pop the trunk and move on to the next car. If you didn't do this your likely hood of windows smashed is high. Being from NY this did not sound logical to me, but she's had to deal w/ tons of tourists who come back w/ a broken window in their rental, so i just followed her advice.

Tuconots
    Go to Sandy's and try not to get killed by the breakers on the shoreline.
    [Under Construction]

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by lanx View Post
    yea w/ hawaii i was told by my b&b lady to leave nothing in your rental car and trunk and to NOT lock the doors. This way thieves can check your car out, pop the trunk and move on to the next car. If you didn't do this your likely hood of windows smashed is high. Being from NY this did not sound logical to me, but she's had to deal w/ tons of tourists who come back w/ a broken window in their rental, so i just followed her advice.
    I generally did the same when I had to commute downtown for college. If some homeless dude really wants the 75 cents I have laying around my car I'd prefer he just takes it from my unlocked car instead of taking it and also smashing my window.

Tuconots
    I haven't checked this thread in a while, after making it. Thanks so much for all of the ideas. Regarding snorkeling, my wife and I are both certified divers. Do you know of a "great" SCUBA site we might consider going to?

When it comes to the inlaws acting less Japanese, that isn't going to happen. Fortunately, I'm a home grown Pennsylvanian white guy, so I can be the American guy that's needed.

Tuconots
    You'll stick out more than a Japanese mega tourist. They're everywhere. Like thousands per bus.

Tuconots
    It probably doesn't help that I'm 6'4 and shave my head.

Tuconots
    [Under Construction]

Tuconots
    We ended up buying that book, Oahu Revealed. Thanks Ianx. Lots of good info in there.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarpolis View Post
    We ended up buying that book, Oahu Revealed. Thanks Ianx. Lots of good info in there.
    follow my advice and get the app too for a few bucks, cuz that app integrates really well w/ google maps to take you there, PLUS you do NOT want to flash that blue book around, locals will hate you.

Tuconots
    Haha, no problem. I can understand. Locals seem to hate outsiders that want to experience the life of a native. Shame that they aren't cool.

Tuconots
    Haha, no problem. I can understand. Locals seem to hate outsiders that want to experience the life of a native. Shame that they aren't cool.
    it's not that they don't want you to experience what they experience, just that once it becomes popularized, then it gets too busy and now their local cool spot is gone.

But fuck em, their entire economy is based on tourism.

Registered User Lvl_32_Bard_LFG's Avatar
    Tuconots
    huge homeless problem there, but one can understand why. 86 year round with an ocean breeze? fuck yea...

it's really quite interesting, the homeless problem that Waikiki faces gave birth to its name. one morning, after being nudged by the boot of the accosting police man, a homeless drifter rolled over in his cot and queried the officer, "Why kicky?"

seriously though, check out Manoa falls if you stay on Oahu and definitely try to get to at least one other island if you have the time. awesome place.
    Last edited by Lvl_32_Bard_LFG; 11-04-2015 at 10:35 PM.

Tuconots
    Cleveland to atlanta to Oahu. 10 hours for atl leg, kinda bummed not connecting in CA and doing like 5 and 5. No clue what time it'll be when we arrive and not sure it matters, wedding severely fucked up my sleep schedule

Tuconots
    I heard from one of the locals there that states offer one-way tickets for the homeless to go to Oahu. If its true or not I have no clue. But any public space there is filled with homeless people doing nothing but sleeping under some shade.

Tuconots
    When are you headed there, Picasso?

Tuconots
    I'm here now, on lihua

Tuconots
    For whatever reason my wife has started bringing up us moving to Hawaii. I could get a job pretty easy. She's convinced she's going to sell real estate. I'm putting a stop to these talks rather quickly.

Tuconots
    Nepali coast by catamaran today was pretty awesome, touched a sea turtle. Helicopter tomorrow, doors off which i think will be a thousand times as awesome.

Hawaii is all one thing to me and i suck with the names so forgive me if this is fucking up the rerolled tour book.

Tuconots
    lmfao, rerolled tour book.

The most memorable to me was the mountains, I had never seen any before and it was really dark and cloudy after I landed. I almost wrecked like 8 times staring at the mountains while driving, it was like something out of a video game.

Enjoy brother! Make sure to hit up Nico's 38, go into the little store area on the left and try all the different poke (they will let you try samples of every one). Thank me later!
    She's done riding the dick train and you're the beta provider. Disregard your feelings; break up with her and die alone.
    let it be known that IRB is in favor of rolling cripples out onto the battlefield.

Tuconots
    The helicopter tour of kuaui should be a popular bucket list item. I have never taken in so much scenic shit in an hour in my life. There's a mountain going into the clouds and there are waterfalls coming down the side of it for a thousand feet. The only waterfall you can access by car is a total piece of shit compared to these things. I took about 2 thousand pictures on my camera...every where we turned it was amazing.

Tuconots
    Yeah Hawaii is really, really beautiful scenery. Its probably the prettiest place I've been to -- not exactly that I'm a world traveler.

Tuconots
    If it is still open Hawaii By Night was amazing.
    [Under Construction]

Tuconots
    What's that?

Tuconots

Tuconots
    Just had a $360 dinner for two at the laihana grill. It was good.

Tuconots
    Haha, holy shit.

What hotel are you staying at, anyway?

Tuconots
    For that price it better have included a busty grass skirt chick rimming you as you ate

Tuconots
    I got the surf and turf for 86 bucks and we had a 110 bottle of wine. Not much primo cuisine in charleston so when we get out we usually hit it pretty hard.

The road to Hana was ok. Took about 6 hours. I enjoyed the second half of the loop a lot more (south side). Was fun driving on the cliffs. I drove the entire way and it's narrow, bumpy bullshit over paths for 100 miles or so. We get back to within a mile of the hotel and i have wife drive us in so i can eat a milkshake. She panics because we're looking into the sun, then she can't reach the parking ticket out the window and she's holding up the line, then she can't fit in a spot in the garage. I was completely amused by the rapid escalation over the last 1 mile so i was pretty quiet. After we switch and i park i say "you just have to remember to stay calm" and she jumps my shit for being condescending. I was.
    Married lyfe

Staying at the Sheraton

Tuconots
    Haha, my wife loves to pick apart things that I do or forget to do, yet HATES if I ever mention something that she's done wrong. It's funny, and I do it anyway.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
    I got the surf and turf for 86 bucks and we had a 110 bottle of wine. Not much primo cuisine in charleston so when we get out we usually hit it pretty hard.

The road to Hana was ok. Took about 6 hours. I enjoyed the second half of the loop a lot more (south side). Was fun driving on the cliffs. I drove the entire way and it's narrow, bumpy bullshit over paths for 100 miles or so. We get back to within a mile of the hotel and i have wife drive us in so i can eat a milkshake. She panics because we're looking into the sun, then she can't reach the parking ticket out the window and she's holding up the line, then she can't fit in a spot in the garage. I was completely amused by the rapid escalation over the last 1 mile so i was pretty quiet. After we switch and i park i say "you just have to remember to stay calm" and she jumps my shit for being condescending. I was.
    Married lyfe

Staying at the Sheraton
    Ha, you did the number one thing NOT to do for newlyweds (this was honeymoon right?). Every local says don't ever drive the road to Hanna as a newly wed, tests your patience to the max.

Tuconots
    We did ok. She got a little edgy when i think she got car sick but it was a positive day. She had a cd tour guide and the guy was annoying.

Snorkeling at sheraton is awesome. Huge sea turtles out this morning.

Tuconots
    Night snorkeling with manta rays on big island was solid. Volcano helicopter got rained out so I'm pretty bummed.

Tuconots
    I leave in 8 more days. Can't wait. I'll have to hit up sea turtle & manta ray snorkel, or SCUBA if that's available. My wife and I are both certified.

Tuconots
    I leave in 8 more days. Can't wait. I'll have to hit up sea turtle & manta ray snorkel, or SCUBA if that's available. My wife and I are both certified.
    is your wife afraid of the sun like mine is? well she's actually sorta allergic, but loves the beach.
    i got this popup tent
    Amazon.com : Genji Sports Pop Up Family Beach Tent And Beach Sunshelter : Family Beach Cabana Tent : Sports Outdoors

It's great, it's pretty light at 5lbs and folds up into a big ass disk that you can fit in a large suitcase (25in), obviously i'm asking cuz asians hate sun, who knows, your inlaws might like it. It gets bad reviews cuz retards don't know how to fold it back afterwards, once you do it three times, it's easy.

All the other tents i could find require poles and stakes, and i don't know how i would have packed that in the suitcase.

Tuconots
    She isn't afraid of the sun, but wears really high SPF sun screen. At least when we go to the beach she does. Aside from that, she doesn't wear anything.

Tuconots
    Did Arizona memorial, missouri, bowfin, and airplane museum at pearl...took about 6 hours. Recommend of course.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    Nice shots. When do you come back home?

Tuconots
    I got home sunday about 2

Tuconots
    Doh. I'm flying out there on Sunday. Looks like we won't get a chance to say hello to one another.
    Looks like I'll miss getting a drink with you by an hour and a half. Stupid flight schedules.

Last edited by Xarpolis; 11-24-2015 at 09:46 PM.

Tuconots
    Wow you have to goto fucking newark? harrisburg wasn't available? (probably just wanted 1 way i guess) are you gonna just pay for airport parking? its fucking expensive, try these places for long term parking.

i went to this one
    EWR SNAP Parking - 19 Photos - Parking - 98 Frelinghuysen Ave - Newark, NJ - Reviews - Yelp

it was sweet, you pull in, fill out form, leave keys, take out luggage(or the guy does it for you) he pops it in his van, you get a "don't fucking loose me ticket", and he drives you to the terminals. For us at like 3am took 9mins.

Search for a groupon deal
    Newark Airport Parking - Deals in Newark, NJ | Groupon

i ended up paying 40ish bucks for 9days

otherwise just parking in EWR longterm parking i think is 20bucks a day, which doesn't make sense cuz you still gotta take a shuttle anyway, so it's not that much faster.

Tuconots
    Newark is a lot closer to my house than Harrisburg. As far as parking, it isn't an issue. We're getting a ride there and back.

Tuconots
    that's cool, EWR just fucking sucks.

Banned
    Tuconots
    Picasso! your photos have really great view about travelling place. I like travelling, but I don't know about your visited points of interests, So Can you share your visiting point's names here that which place's photos you share with us?
    Last edited by amitom; 11-28-2015 at 07:39 AM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by amitom View Post
    Picasso! your photos have really great view about travelling place. I like travelling, but I don't know about your visited points of interests, So Can you share your visiting point's names here that which place's photos you share with us?
    Inquiring minds want to know.

Tuconots
    Helicopter ride covering the nepali coast on kuaui and snorkeling at the Sheraton on maui.

Tuconots
    So I've been back home since December 8th. The trip was fantastic. Probably the best vacation I've ever been on, and I've gone to some pretty awesome places in my life. Anyway, I just wanted to give an update for everyone (not that any of you likely care).

My wife and I have decided to move out to Hawaii. We'll likely only stay out there for 4 years, but who knows after all is said and done. She has already received her Hawaiian Nursing License, and I'm slowly searching for a job that I would like to take. We've been in the process of reading our house to sell for upwards of 3 months now, doing EVERYTHING we need to get it done. And the woman across the street from us has decided that she wants to stop renting her place and buy ours, which is great. We're going to do that within the next 2-3 weeks. So yeah, pretty awesome. And we'll be ready to move soon enough. The only down side is my car is a lease and I can't really afford to buy it out right now. So we're going to drive from Pennsylvania down south a bit and go through Tennessee, then over to Texas, up to Nevada/Utah. Then finally up to California. I have a shipping company ready to send my car out to Hawaii so I can continue leasing. Maybe a better option would be to buy the car out completely once we sell our house and then re-sell it, but I doubt that'll be a good move in the long run.

So yeah, looks like we're moving out to Hawaii. Wish me luck?

Tuconots
    Good luck! It's a big financial sacrifice to be able to live there.

CTrfJ3fVEAIIgR5.jpg
    48 Lei, Paia, HI 96779 | MLS #365069 | Zillow

Tuconots
    To be fair the above house is on Maui and got dang at that location. Also if he's only going to be there for four years I assume he'd rent instead of buy.

Tuconots
    Plus the house in AZ better be great because it's nothing but misery any time you are outside of it.

Tuconots
    Rent is still relative to house prices. 2.5k a month doesn't get you a whole lot either(usually less than 1k sqft). Unless you are literally talking about Hawaii (The Big Island) Then you can get 2 bedroom places for ~1.2k instead of ~2.5k a month. I'm sure the OP is more drawn to Oahu for the Japanese culture present there though so that's not really an option.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by BrutulTM View Post
    Plus the house in AZ better be great because it's nothing but misery any time you are outside of it.
    Wat? High of 70 today.

Tuconots
    Phoenix is a shit hole even during the 2 months a year of nice weather.

Tuconots
    I've never been to AZ but I'd probably like the climate. I love being the sauna at the gym at least and I'm sure its like living in a sauna there.

Tuconots
    Way late to this thread but my wife and I went to Hawaii for 8 days. Our biggest mistake was going to Oahu. Do not get me wrong, I wanted to see Pearl Harbor, but the rest of the island is a crowded shit hole and the traffic is awful. Needless to say, we started on Big Island, which was absolutely gorgeous (Especially on the Hilo side) with small privately owned shops, great prices, good food, and some nice down to earth people. When we were flying from Big Island to Oahu to finish up the 3 days, we just about were ready to cry when we were flying in. Waikiki is so commercialized it ruined damn near everything for us. As soon as we landed, we wanted to go back to Big Island. Since then, I have told everyone to avoid Oahu completely save a quick day trip flight to see Pearl Harbor and then fly the hell out of there and back to either Big Island or Kauai.

Tuconots
    Prices are urban legends for house pricing.

180 Hoaikane St, Maunaloa Property Listing: MLS #201514813

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnayan View Post
    Prices are urban legends for house pricing.

180 Hoaikane St, Maunaloa Property Listing: MLS #201514813
    And where would you work? That is like finding a ranch in the middle of no where CA and saying "California housing prices are fine."

Tuconots
    It's even worse than that. That house is on Molokai so you can't even commute to Oahu.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Hachima View Post
    It's even worse than that. That house is on Molokai so you can't even commute to Oahu.
    Retire

Tuconots
    I tried that... it's too boring...

But I've been referring to the OP's idea to move to Hawaii and get a job while his wife gets a job as a nurse.

Tuconots
    So here's another update. This "idea" (technically still an idea, but 90% yes at this point) is going along quite well. My wife has had 7 different interviews with Hospitals over there, and they are all extremely interested. They want her to start tomorrow, but that isn't going to happen. The two of us are going to fly out again on a Friday in the near future, then fly home on Monday. Spend the weekend dealing with a Realtor to find us an apartment or a small house that we can rent. Then we just need to buy a 2nd vehicle over there and have the dealer have it ready for us when we land at the airport. Not for when we go apartment/house hunting, but when we actually decide to move. I'm sure we could work that out with one of them closer to the date.

We're going to drive my car, which is under a lease, all the way from Pennsylvania, down south through Tennessee, Texas, Nevada, Utah then California. It's going to cost me around $1200 to ship out from Cali to Hawaii, so that works. I'm still in the process of making a Resume. It's tough, I've never had to make one before, and for added difficulty, I've only really ever worked at one place before. Granted, I have 20 years at that place, but that doesn't make for a very spectacular resume. I'm still trying to figure all of that out.

I've gotta say, thus far this is a lot easier than I would have expected it to be. But time will tell once we actually decide to make the move. I'll update this again later.

Tuconots
    20 years with the same company is really fucking impressive these days, especially if you're looking at staying in the same field.

Tuconots
    So our house is on the market now. I listed it for $240k and currently have an offer of $230k. It's been up since Thursday.
    I still haven't found a job out there, but I haven't been trying (yet). My wife has accepted an offer, and it's an 80% increase over what she makes out here. Pretty impressive.

Regarding the house, our realtor is trying something new. It's a 3D imaging thing that allows people to tour our house online as if it were Google Maps. I think it's pretty neat.
    Check it out:
    Schaunn - Matterport 3D Showcase

Tuconots
    Yeah thats pretty cool. Hopefully soon real estate agents will be obsolete since they're just glorified door openers at this point.

Tuconots
    Yeah. And they get 6% of your property just for opening the door.

It's crazy.

Tuconots
    Here's a bunch of pictures to document the trip out and the decision to move.

About a month after coming home, we had 32 inches of snow. It sucked.
    Final nail in the coffin of Pennsylvania.

Tuconots
    Someone asked me what I even wanted to do (for work) out there, and I don't know. Here is my full answer.

I honestly have no idea. I mean, I could be anything from business management down to cashier at the Dollar Tree. I'd like something a little professional though. Preferably something that requires thinking. I'd make a badass PA for some super wealthy executive, but I don't have a vagina, so I doubt that'll happen. I don't really know, expecially because I haven't even seen what the market is like out there. I've been too focused on getting my house ready to sell. I'll get my resume in order in the next few days and figure it out then.

I've also thought about starting my own place, but that isn't going to happen immediately. It'll be something I'll look at only if living out there for 4 years works out, and we decide to spend the rest of our lives there. I just don't know, but I don't want to get too heavily invested into the island until I know for certain what my future looks like.

At this point, we're going to rent a place to live and go from there with the intention of taking a 4 year long vacation. Sticking with 4 years at the very least (no matter what happens), just so we can say we tried our best and we really got to experience the area. We may hate it, we may love it. But whatever happens, we'll let it grow on us instead of taking our early opinions.

Tuconots
    Let us know how it goes. I've always been reluctant of falling too deep in love with anywhere I vacation because I know I'm mostly in love with not having to work, not having to worry about money and being completely care-free. I'm well aware that would not extend out for very long if I made a place my permanent residence. I'm fully aware after working and getting home at 6 in the evening my ass wouldn't walk down to the beach. I just want to sit at home and play video games, get kind of buzzed and go to sleep. Which I can do almost anywhere. I admit I toyed with the idea of moving to Hawaii after visiting (it would be fairly easy as a developer ... they have tons of open DOD jobs) but in the end I'm not sure I'd see a marked increase in quality of life. I may even see a decrease since I'd constantly be worried about money since its so expensive to live there.

Tuconots
    People say it's "so expensive" to live out there, but really it isn't. Especially compared to the Philadelphia rates that I'm accustom to. It's maybe a 15% increase from here, which isn't bad at all. Especially when my wife is getting an 80% increase in her pay moving out there and I'll do something where I should get a nice chunk myself (no idea what % though). Plus, never having to worry about snow again... Or cold weather? It fucking snowed last night in PA, even though it was high 70's on Friday. This area is crazy with the weather.

Tuconots
    Food seemed really expensive when I was there. Not just at restaurants but just going to the grocery store. Plus I think Waikiki $/sqft is only rivaled by San Francisco in the USA. Obviously if you move there I doubt you'd live on Waikiki, though.

Tuconots
    Exactly. That's the mega expensive area, but a nice town not even 10 miles away is a lot more reasonably priced. Plus good schools.

Food is expensive if it's something not readily available close to Hawaii. Other than that, they have to ship it in, which adds $$. However, there are plenty of local growers that have things for less.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenks View Post
    Food seemed really expensive when I was there. Not just at restaurants but just going to the grocery store. Plus I think Waikiki $/sqft is only rivaled by San Francisco in the USA. Obviously if you move there I doubt you'd live on Waikiki, though.
    Yea i concurr, my last vacation w/ wife at Kihei we spent at a bed/breakfast w/ kitchen. Half our meals, i cooked, i mean you can only have so much pua/pua and fish tacos. Prices were about 10-20% higher than my Jersey prices, and for reference, Jersey prices are like 30% higher than Lancaster prices.

Tuconots
    Here's the next update:

We're flying back out there on the 24th. Coming home on the 28th. Going to go apartment / rental property shopping. I don't want to buy a house in the event we only stay there for 4 years, but renting isn't too bad. As long as we're right around $2k/month, all will be good. It also has to be pet friendly, because Baku (pitbull) is coming with.

We're going to start our ~2 week drive from PA down to Disney World, then up through New Orleans, Dallas, up to Mount Zion in Utah, down to Vegas for a day, then to San Francisco. We're meeting up with a friend from another message board out there. Then I need to load my car onto a ship. Fly down to LA, then out to Hawaii the next morning. It should be fun.

I'm renting a Uhaul trailer for the drive out there. My car surprisingly has a 2,000 pound capacity. The trailer weighs around 400 lbs, and we're only putting a little bit of stuff in there. A computer chair, my computer, a vacuum and ALL of our clothes. That's it. We'll be maybe 1,000 lbs total after all is said and done. I'm not looking forward to seeing how my car handles the extra weight, but it shouldn't be too terrible.

We'll leave PA to start our trip around May 20th.

If anyone else is around the path we're taking, I'll gladly meet up for a beer or whatever.

Tuconots
    Let me know when you hit Dallas, I can take you to a kickass beer/food spot if you are into that sort of thing.

Tuconots
    That would be awesome. You can't turn down a great food spot, and I love trying things.

Tuconots
    Sweet, just give me a good week's heads up when you'll be here.

EDIT: Maybe we can get some more Dallas rerollers to join.
    Last edited by Hekotat; 04-20-2016 at 12:01 PM.

Tuconots
    I'm planning 8 days in Hawaii in May of 17, thinking 5 days on Oahu and 3 on the big island. I can do the tripadvisor top sights things, anybody got some don't miss stuff?

Tuconots
    If you like Sushi go get a poke bowl at Nico's Pier 38 on Oahu. Shit is amazing and they'll you try it all before deciding on what you want (Note that this is inside the store section of the restaurant). Unfortunately I was working when I went so I didn't get to check a lot of shit out.

Nicos Pier 38 | Honolulu, HI

Poke Selections | Nicos Pier 38

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Cad View Post
    I'm planning 8 days in Hawaii in May of 17, thinking 5 days on Oahu and 3 on the big island. I can do the tripadvisor top sights things, anybody got some don't miss stuff?
    Like I recommended in the past, get the blue book guides, these are updated guides done by ppl there, and they give you all the cool local (non tourist) stuff, along w/ tourist things.
    Amazon.com: blue book hawaii

some advice.
    DO NOT rent a convertible, that is a def tourist sign and locals will rob your car
    DO NOT lock your car, take all your valuables w/ you when you're on the beach, locals will pop open your trunk to see if you got anything, if not, then they will move on to another car. This is the better alternative than having some scumbag local break your rental window, looking to score some stuff
    DO NOT flaunt the blue book around, locals HATE the blue book, b/c it shows all the cool stuff, they might retaliate.

the blue book also has an app you can buy, it was nice to use cuz it'll just get directions from gmaps and you can travel fast.

You taking family or something? going to a lot of beaches? i got this popup tent
    Amazon.com : Genji Sports Pop Up Family Beach Tent And Beach Sunshelter : Family Beach Cabana Tent : Sports Outdoors
    it weighs 5lbs and is super UPF protective, It fit in a large suitcase nicely. It gets low ratings b/c ppl who buy it CANNOT fold it back, just watch the video and you'll be good. The other option is to get an umbrella, but unless you get a nice one, it'll just break from the winds, i've seen all those cheap umbrellas break like twigs, fall over, etc.

are you doing a BnB or hotel? usually if you find a BnB, they'll have a few "beach things" for you, the previous one i went to had a nice umbrella set and chairs (tommy bahamma) and coolers and shit, also boogey boards/snorkels, check that out b4 you decide to rent or buy.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by lanx View Post

some advice.
    DO NOT rent a convertible, that is a def tourist sign and locals will rob your car
    DO NOT lock your car, take all your valuables w/ you when you're on the beach, locals will pop open your trunk to see if you got anything, if not, then they will move on to another car. This is the better alternative than having some scumbag local break your rental window, looking to score some stuff.
    Yeah, my sister just moved there and her shit got stolen TWICE in the first week.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Hekotat View Post
    Yeah, my sister just moved there and her shit got stolen TWICE in the first week.
    Yea, when i was told to not lock my rental car by the BnB lady, i was like "WTF!", cuz i'm all crazy about personal security, but i listened to her of course. During the week i was there, i did "notice" a few trunk items moved around, like a boogey board I know i put in one way, was tossed the otherside.

some articles
    Tips to Avoid Rental Car Crime in Hawaii - Living in Hawaii - Moving to Oahu, Maui, Kauai, Big Island
    Tourists: Little Action Taken On High Rate Of Oahu Rental Car Theft - Civil Beat News

Tuconots
    At my old job my co-workers had a $60,000 data recorder which was of absolutely no use to the average thief stolen from their trunk in Hawaii. They went to the cops and they said "Do you want the recorder back or do you want us to prosecute the people who stole it? You can probably only get one or the other." They chose the former and got the data recorder back and didn't ask questions.

Tuconots
    wtf? A couple drones could easily solve all that retardation.
    Last edited by Big Phoenix; 05-13-2016 at 02:05 AM.

Tuconots
    Drones that carry missiles to blast Hawaii out of existence, or spy drones to watch people? Realistically, if they put cameras all over Hawaii the way they are putting them in every other major city/suburb, that would cut down on crime as well.

Tuconots
    Ok, everything is coming along nicely. We're leaving on our trip this Friday. The schedule is pretty easy thus far.
    So here's the map with each day's travel listed with a stop point.

Based on that map, leaving Friday morning, we will arrive in Dallas on Monday (the 23rd), so we could go out for drinks Monday night. Let me know if that works for you.

Tuconots
    Ok, everything is coming along nicely. We're leaving on our trip this Friday. The schedule is pretty easy thus far.

Based on that map, leaving Friday morning, we will arrive in Dallas on Monday (the 23rd), so we could go out for drinks Monday night. Let me know if that works for you.
    That shouldn't be a problem. I'll pm you.

Tuconots
    Well, I'm in Hawaii now. We landed here back on the 2nd. My car became available to pick up from Matson today, so that's a plus. Aside from that, we have found an apartment we like and will sign the papers shortly. Good deal. We're going to live in Hawaii Kai.

Hek, it was fun meeting up with you for drinks. Thanks.

Tuconots
    Well, I'm in Hawaii now. We landed here back on the 2nd. My car became available to pick up from Matson today, so that's a plus. Aside from that, we have found an apartment we like and will sign the papers shortly. Good deal. We're going to live in Hawaii Kai.

Hek, it was fun meeting up with you for drinks. Thanks.
    Glad you made it, I meant to text you that weekend and ask but things have been insanely busy around here. It was nice meeting you as well, when I come out we'll have to have a few beers Hawaii style.

Tuconots
    Fuck i should have met up with him so I'd have a free place to stay in hawaii

Tuconots

So like, which leg of this coast to coast drive was the worse?

Thread Information