Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: RPG Thread

Tuconots

RPG Thread

Every now and again I'll start playing an RPG from a few years ago and either there won't be a thread, or I don't feel like necro'ing a 3 year old thread. I figured we could use this thread to discuss upcoming RPG news, current RPGs, old RPGs, RPGs we're currently playing, etc.. If this thread receives no love it can die off into the abyss. If it does take off I'll update this OP with upcoming release dates n shit.

I half considered making a JRPG thread, but we could use this to discuss any RPGs.

I just beat FFX last week and was looking for something new, decided to play FFX-2. Made it about 4 hours (I just put on a concert for the Gullwings) until I decided despite how much more I liked the combat I just couldn't deal with charlie's angels.

I started up The Last Story for the Wii last night and loving it so far. Only at the beginning, but I'm enjoying it. Thinking next I might do Tales of Graces F, but not sure yet.

Anyone playing anything good?
    Noodleface#1412 - <Rerolled> US-Hyjal Horde - Noodleface

Follow me on Twitch! - Streaming Rerolled minivan dad raids Friday nights 9PM EST and Saturday mornings 11AM EST!

Make Eorzea Great Again Kriptini's Avatar
    Tuconots
    I'm waiting for Bravely Second, Persona 5, and FFXV at the moment.

Final Fantasy Tactics is on Android now and I'm super tempted to get it. Also I think DQVIII is coming to 3DS soon?

Tuconots
    I'm still slowly working my way through persona 4. I'm liking it more than I thought I would
    PSN: Ritley

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodlemod View Post
    Thinking next I might do Tales of Graces F, but not sure yet.
    Don't do it, it's a terrible game. Play the Xillia's instead if you haven't yet and really want a Tales of... game. Or wait a month and hope Zestiria turns out to be good; it's even coming to PC.
    Vorph#1334 - D3

Tuconots
    Currently playing the Witcher 3

Semi Playing Dragon Age 3 .

Some reason having a hard time getting through W3 haven't picked up DA 3 in like 2 months or so.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorph View Post
    Don't do it, it's a terrible game. Play the Xillia's instead if you haven't yet and really want a Tales of... game. Or wait a month and hope Zestiria turns out to be good; it's even coming to PC.
    Really? Had good reviews I thought. Someone got it for me for christmas a year or two ago, felt compelled to play it.

Follow me on Twitch! - Streaming Rerolled minivan dad raids Friday nights 9PM EST and Saturday mornings 11AM EST!

Tuconots
    Just started tales of xillia myself, seems like a great game so far. Hooked me much faster than most jrpgs.

Tuconots
    If xilia goes on sale on PSN I'll probably pick it up. Keep forgetting to keep tabs on it

Banned
    Tuconots
    Ive got the whatever the new one is preordered on Steam.

I think I got Xilia on sale for ps3 (both of them?) for my kids, but I don't have a ps3 hooked up anymore to play em.

Tuconots
    If xilia goes on sale on PSN I'll probably pick it up. Keep forgetting to keep tabs on it
    Flash sale right now has it.

NM ended this morning:
    Tales of Xillia – $6.00
    Tales of Xillia 2 – $12.00

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatorade View Post
    Flash sale right now has it.

NM ended this morning:
    Tales of Xillia – $6.00
    Tales of Xillia 2 – $12.00
    SHIT!

Tuconots
    I started playing Secret of Mana again on my EmulationStation but I just simply cannot get into this damn game. I'm the furthest I've ever been (this is like my 5th go at liking it) but I have zero motivation to play it any more.

Tuconots
    Also a few PS2 games I rarely see talked about but I really enjoyed back in the day were Shining Force Neo and Shining Force EXA. Both were at least enjoyable and I actually really enjoyed both. It may help I never played a Shining Force prior to them so I wasn't salty they had nothing in common with the predecessors.

Tuconots
    Shining Force 1 and 2 for Genesis were awesome, never played the PS2 versions.

Also Secrets of Mana is a really great game but I distinctly remember being extremely overpowered about halfway through the game and it was tough to beat because it was boring at that point.

Tuconots
    Have way too many RPGs going on at the moment, most of which have been put aside for MGS5.

Main ones that I play are
    - Grandia 2
    - Secrets of Grindea (early access now on steam, similar to Secret of Mana)
    - The Witcher 3
    - Valkyria Chronicles
    - Persona 4

Have lots more that I have started too, but unsure when I will get back to them. Thinking about starting up "The Legend of Heroes: Trials in the sky" again. A few hours into it, and seems like a really decent old schoolish JRPG.

Knowing myself though, the next RPG that I actually finish will probably be Fallout 4. Something about those games that enable me to focus on them completely.

Will also get the new Tales game. Ditto on the Xillia vs Tales of F or whatever it is called. Xillia is really good, not tried 2.

Most anticipated future rpgs - FF 15 and Dragons Dogma on PC. Never finished that + dlc, so looking forwards to the updated version. Loved that game.

Tuconots
    Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen is on my to do list, although I'm probably just going to play the old Xbox 360 version.

Tuconots
    Just finished (and plated) FF type Zero. I really liked the action and character options, the story was very JRPG so I had some eyeroll and WTF moments, but over all really liked the combat and style of the game. Its been on sale pretty reg so I picked it up for $30 and now will trade it in for $25.

I also am enjoying the FF15 demo that came with it, decided to Pre order it now.

I am going to do FF13-3 next

Tuconots
    I've been playing all the mainline Final Fantasy games on my Emulation System, because the only two I ever originally finished was 4 and 6.

So far I went through:
    - FF1 (Origins)
    - FF7
    - FF5
    - FF4 (NDS version)
    - FF9

I just finished 9 last week, and I haven't decided which I'll play next.

Tuconots
    Almost forgot Disgaea 5 releases in NA on October 6th. I'll probably pick it up since I've heard it plays a lot like Tactics. (I've never played a Disgaea game.)

Banned
    Tuconots
    Give that one a wait dude. I hear it bombed pretty hard in Japan, may not be a good Disgaea.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by hodj View Post
    Give that one a wait dude. I hear it bombed pretty hard in Japan, may not be a good Disgaea.
    Famitsu gave it a 33/40. Not sure if they're credible or not as I don't speak moonrunes, but I'll ask the NEETs over at 8ch if any of them have played it yet.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by xrg View Post
    I've been playing all the mainline Final Fantasy games on my Emulation System, because the only two I ever originally finished was 4 and 6.

So far I went through:
    - FF1 (Origins)
    - FF7
    - FF5
    - FF4 (NDS version)
    - FF9

I just finished 9 last week, and I haven't decided which I'll play next.
    How did you like 9? I cant get in to it but I want to finish it (gamer ocd) I told my self 1 hour a week and I would be done in a year ! what was your play time?

Banned
    Tuconots
    Famitsu used to be the go to in Japan for ratings so maybe I'm wrong, and the Japs are just bored with the series.

Disgaea 4 is the best recent one, if you have a vita or a ps3, can probably pick it up on the cheap as an alternative option

Tuconots
    SNES
    • Breath of fire 1 and 2. I never played them beyond this.
    • Super Mario RPG
    • Earthbound
    • Secret of Evermore

PS1
    • Vagrant Story
    • Vandal Hearts 1 (turn based RPG)
    • Parasite Eve
    • Xenogears

PS2
    • Persona 3 and 4. For Persona 3 I prefer the version on PSP though
    • Shadow Hearts 1,Covenant, New World. Shadow Hearts: Covenant really is my favorite game of all time
    • Wild Arms 3
    • Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga. Its broken into two games, but really meant to be played as one enormous one.
    • Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

PS3- I didn’t play many RPGs in the PS3 era.
    • Valkyria chronicles (turn based RPG) Another game that ranks very high for me.

Handhelds
    • Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together (PSP)
    • Jeanne D’Arc (PSP turn based RPG)
    • Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection (PSP) Has the base game and The After Years story line in one.
    • Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 (PSP turn based strategy) Both are great games, but limited by the PSP, so maps are small. You will need a translation patch for the third one
    • Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones (GBA Turn Based Strategy)
    • Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS Turn Based Strategy)
    • Shin Megami Tensei 4 (3DS)

Those are my suggestions of good RPGs to check out, I tried to list the less talked about games. All of them are easily played through an emulator also.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by hodj View Post
    Famitsu used to be the go to in Japan for ratings so maybe I'm wrong, and the Japs are just bored with the series.

Disgaea 4 is the best recent one, if you have a vita or a ps3, can probably pick it up on the cheap as an alternative option
    Nah, I only have a PS4. (It's my first Sony console too.)

One of the Anons on 8ch got back to me already about Disgaea 5:

I've played it; it's alright. It's my first one though, so I don't know how it compares to other games in the series. Disgaea 5 is pretty grind-y. Story is goofy fun.
    I think I'm gonna pick it up. With Persona 5 being delayed until 2016, and no Bravely Second or Dark Souls 3 until April 2016 (although I'm sure DS3 will be delayed), there aren't many RPGs coming out in the near future. We might see Dragon Quest VIII on the 3DS before 2016, but I don't think it's super likely.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Harvey View Post
    Handhelds
    • Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together (PSP)
    • Jeanne D’Arc (PSP turn based RPG)
    • Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection (PSP) Has the base game and The After Years story line in one.
    • Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 (PSP turn based strategy) Both are great games, but limited by the PSP, so maps are small. You will need a translation patch for the third one
    • Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones (GBA Turn Based Strategy)
    • Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS Turn Based Strategy)
    • Shin Megami Tensei 4 (3DS)

Those are my suggestions of good RPGs to check out, I tried to list the less talked about games. All of them are easily played through an emulator also.
    I also highly recommend Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.

Banned
    Tuconots
    All the Disgaea's are super grindy. That's one of their biggest draws, though. You can practically play them forever, and get to the point that you're dealing like 999,999,999 damage in a single attack and shit.

Tuconots
    I'm also playing The Last Story noodle, I'm about halfway through.

Just finished up Xenoblade chronicles, next on my list is Witcher 3, which I should be getting near the end of by the time the DLC comes out.

Tuconots
    I finished Xillia about a month ago - pretty good, but there's not really any post-game shit to do minus one really annoying dungeon.

Going through Disgaea 4 right now and it's become a pretty familiar experience - utter addiction until I beat the game and for about 20 hrs after, then the magnitude of the grind sets in and I gradually lose interest.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Kriptini View Post

I think I'm gonna pick it up. With Persona 5 being delayed until 2016, and no Bravely Second or Dark Souls 3 until April 2016 (although I'm sure DS3 will be delayed), there aren't many RPGs coming out in the near future. We might see Dragon Quest VIII on the 3DS before 2016, but I don't think it's super likely.
    Doesn't Dragon Quest Heroes come out on PS4 in Oct?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Nester View Post
    Doesn't Dragon Quest Heroes come out on PS4 in Oct?
    Yes, but it's not a real RPG. Also, Hyrule Warriors was profoundly mediocre. I actually got some hands-on time with Dragon Quest Heroes while at E3, and while it certainly seemed more fun for the twenty or so minutes I got to play it, I'm still very skeptical to pick it up just because of how average Hyrule Warriors was.

Speaking of E3, I almost forgot, Legend of Legacy releases on 3DS in October this year as well. I got hands-on time with this game as well and it interested me greatly. Its art direction is like Bravely Default, but with a pop-up book theme, and the combat seems interesting, like a hybrid of standard JRPG combat and MMORPG holy trinities. I will absolutely be picking it up when it comes out.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by elidib View Post
    I'm also playing The Last Story noodle, I'm about halfway through.

Just finished up Xenoblade chronicles, next on my list is Witcher 3, which I should be getting near the end of by the time the DLC comes out.
    How did you like xenoblade? Heard the main story is like 100 hours

I'll probably start putting a release date list in the op

Tuconots
    Oh I did not realize it was a DW clone.

Thanks, I was about to preorder as I have a major RPG itch atm and Dragon Warrior was my first RPG and changed EVERYTHING.

Zombie 4 (Un)Life ZombieWizardhawk's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Almost forgot Disgaea 5 releases in NA on October 6th. I'll probably pick it up since I've heard it plays a lot like Tactics. (I've never played a Disgaea game.)
    Disgaea games are awesome and they get better with every new one (less class limitations as far as grinding and stuff due to lack of aoe attacks). I'm definitely looking forward to 5.

Tuconots

Thanks, I was about to preorder as I have a major RPG itch atm and Dragon Warrior was my first RPG and changed EVERYTHING.
    There is a dragon Quest rpg coming out but I'm not sure when

Tuconots

I wish it was a Dynasty Warriors clone. I loved Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends and put like 200 hours on it. Hyrule Warriors is basically, "Yeah we took the basic premise of a DW game (run around killing hordes of enemies with combos) but took out all of the things that make it DW (actual strategy, bodyguards, time-based objectives for different endings, voice acting) and gave it some Zelda mechanics (use and swap between different sub items on the battlefield, fight boss monsters) that sound cool but in reality are very tedious and boring. At least you can play as Midna.

Dragon Quest Warriors at least has better mechanics. The one boss battle I did was more fun than any of the ones in Hyrule Warriors, and there was no sub-item bullcrap, also you have bodyguards and you can actually switch between playing yourself or one of your bodyguards while in mid-battle. However, characters have MP which is consumed by some of their attacks in their combos, which is weird.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieWizardhawk View Post
    Disgaea games are awesome and they get better with every new one (less class limitations as far as grinding and stuff due to lack of aoe attacks). I'm definitely looking forward to 5.
    Sweet, good to hear.

There is a dragon Quest rpg coming out but I'm not sure when
    Uhh, DQXI is in development for PS4, 3DS, and NX at the moment with a projected release date of 2016, but they have no plans to bring it to NA/EU. If you need a DQ fix and haven't played IX yet, you should absolutely play IX. The story is weaker than the other DQ games but the party customization and endgame dungeons and bosses are fantastic.

Tuconots
    Some great ones on PSP or PSP emulator if you don't want to mess with finding a working PSP.

Banned
    Tuconots
    How did you like xenoblade?
    I have tried my best to get into that damn game and there's just so much piddling bullshit to do, and I really do mean piddling bullshit, to do that I always get burned out about the time you leave the first town after like 10-15 hours of play.

I'm certain there's an amazing game in there somewhere, but it is covered up in so many go here do that bullshit fetch quests that I've never found it.

Tuconots
    How did you like 9? I cant get in to it but I want to finish it (gamer ocd) I told my self 1 hour a week and I would be done in a year ! what was your play time?
    FF9 is one of the most solid entries in the franchise. I would put it second only to 6. It has both a great protagonist and a great antagonist. The combat is really well rounded and is only dwarfed by FF5's combat system(thanks to FF5 having classes). The item design is fun and it makes the magic system way more interesting. The soundtrack is awesome much like any Final Fantasy before FF12. It's just a great game that has aged very well.

Tuconots
    Xenoblade is a dumbed-down, inferior-in-every-way knock off of FF XII crossed with godawful MMO-style questing and some of the worst voice acting in history.

I've tried really hard to get into Disgaea but the "humor" ruins it for me, and there's few things I hate more than writing that breaks the fourth wall. If you can get past all that, the game systems and tactical combat are pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Harvey View Post
    PS3- I didn’t play many RPGs in the PS3 era.
    Resonance of Fate was far and away the best JRPG of last gen imo, anyone who didn't play it really missed out.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorSpooge View Post
    I finished Xillia about a month ago - pretty good, but there's not really any post-game shit to do minus one really annoying dungeon.
    You know there's a whole second game, right?
    Last edited by Vorph; 09-22-2015 at 12:07 AM.
    Vorph#1334 - D3

Zombie 4 (Un)Life ZombieWizardhawk's Avatar
    Tuconots
    I've tried really hard to get into Disgaea but the "humor" ruins it for me, and there's few things I hate more than writing that breaks the fourth wall. If you can get past all that, the game systems and tactical combat are pretty interesting.
    Fair enough. I actually like the humor and whatnot in the Disgaea games so that falls on the + side for the games for me.

I like a lot of anime humor too but my brother can't stand it and just thinks it's wierd.

Tuconots
    I like you my friend but if you ever speak poorly about the holy trinity that is Disgaea I will hunt you down and do terrible things!!

If you want you can go play D2 Disgaea which has a lot of quality of life improvements and was a solid game. Disgaea series is still probably my all time series by a far margin. Only FFT ranks up in individual games. 1,000's of hours spent on the D-series.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
    I like you my friend but if you ever speak poorly about the holy trinity that is Disgaea I will hunt you down and do terrible things!!

If you want you can go play D2 Disgaea which has a lot of quality of life improvements and was a solid game. Disgaea series is still probably my all time series by a far margin. Only FFT ranks up in individual games. 1,000's of hours spent on the D-series.
    Chill out,

Spoiler: 
    dood.
    Spoiler: 
    :^)

Tuconots
    I have 3 or 4 for ps3, can't remember. It's good but I got annoyed as fuck when I lost a key battle and the story started over. I wasn't even that far but it pissed me off.

Tuconots
    I like it a lot more than I thought I would, but I can see why some people don't.

For me it didn't really pick up until you start running into the Black Waltz guys. Around that point the character development ramps up and most of the cast is surprisingly charming and well written for a Final Fantasy game. Unfortunately, around Disc 3, all the interesting ATEs and character development stops, and you're left with a fairly uninteresting plot trying to carry it to the end. I think if it didn't bottom out so severely around Disc 3 it'd be a strong contender for my favorite of the entire series. It has a lot of the kind of humor I like. Great scenes like Eiko cooking with Moogles, love letter winding up in the wrong people's hands, Zidane grabbing Dagger's ass, Quina seeing Cid as a frog. I also like the quirky Wizard of Oz art style it has. It makes things like Moogles not look so out of place.

Anyway, my save has 65 hours, but I did everything in the game except collect rare cards. I did some grinding at points too (which turned out to be completely unnecessary). You can only get Exalibur if you have under 12 hours played toward the end of the game -- so its possible to get through it pretty quickly if you wanted to.

Tuconots
    Xenoblade Chronicles was good imo. Yeah there's a lot of fetch quests, but they're all very very quick: like go kill 4 things. go bring back 5 things. go here and kill one monster.

I'm a fiend for disgaea games, i've played them all multiple times. D: D2 is solid, and I've been watching streams of D5 and it looks fine to me, but GOOOOOOOOD do they fucking nickel and dime you on shitty DLC.

Banned
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by elidib View Post
    but GOOOOOOOOD do they fucking nickel and dime you on shitty DLC.
    Its not nickle and diming anymore when the DLC costs 3 and 4 times the base cost of the game. Its flat out highway robbery at that point.

Tuconots
    Picked up the third Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth game on the PSN flash sale for $16. I got the 2nd for for like $12 a couple flash sales ago...still playing through the first one.
    PSN: Coleslawter89

Tuconots
    You know there's a whole second game, right?
    Yeah, but the existence of a sequel doesn't preclude a developed post-game. You're right, though, that I shouldn't have assumed there'd be a lot to do after beating the story.

Tuconots
    The Last Story has me hooked.

The animations are a little weird, and graphics are just ok (It's on the Wii) - but the story is great so far. Very reminiscent of Phantasy Star III in the beginning. My only real issue is the scenes are very chopped up - like, talk to this guy for a 1 minute cutscene, ok let's go, walk 3 feet, another cutscene, walk 3 feet you zone into a new room, maybe another cutscene, walk into another zone, ok now we can battle, but wait we need a pre-battle cutscene.

Maybe that aspect will get better since they're still holding my hands in battle 3 hours in.

Tuconots
    When you mentioned Last Story, made me think of:

Listened to this shit for hours and hours napping or studying, lol.

Tuconots
    Funny you mention that. For my son we've been playing this 10 hour loop when he gets cranky, puts him right out. Also it's an incredible song by Nobuo as well:

Hard Truths Cut Both Ways AladainAF's Avatar
    Tuconots
    I picked up Grandia 2 on steam, shit is so fucking fun to play again. I cannot WAIT for Persona 5, Star Ocean 5, etc etc. I need my JRPG fix, it's been way too long. I love Hyperdimension Neptunia too, but at the same time I neeed a break from IF! games. I've played wayyyyyyyyyy too many of them recently.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by AladainAF View Post
    I picked up Grandia 2 on steam, shit is so fucking fun to play again. I cannot WAIT for Persona 5, Star Ocean 5, etc etc. I need my JRPG fix, it's been way too long. I love Hyperdimension Neptunia too, but at the same time I neeed a break from IF! games. I've played wayyyyyyyyyy too many of them recently.
    I actually really like !IF games, not for everyone but definitely change things up abit game to game but keep the general formula together. Cross Edge (?) was one of the best games I've ever played, fast action but some insane hard battles post game. So many different options as well.

Tuconots
    The DS/3DS have a lot of great RPGs on them, and I've been plowing through some old favorites again. The Etrian Odyssey series is spectacular in my opinion, especially with the 3DS "remakes" of the first two games that also contain a more story-centric mode. They are theoretically difficult when you first get into them, because it is incredibly rare for a modern game to have very high chances of killing you in the first couple of fights you get into in the game, whereas an unlucky RNG can destroy new party. Not to mention status ailments actually do stuff in those games, and are basically key to beating many of the harder fights. I highly recommend them if you haven't run through them yet. The first two games were rebranded and rebuilt for the 3DS and are Millenium Girl/Knight of Fafnir, then Etrian Odyssey 4. Etrian Odyssey 3 is still DS only but is imo one of the cooler games, especially as you get further into the dungeons/story.

Also, if you haven't played The Last Remnant (360/PC) you owe it to yourself to do so. One of the most underrated games of last gen, and it ends up being a pretty enjoyable story on top of progressively more intricate combat tactics.

Breath of Fire 3 and 4 for the PS were pretty solid as well, and I'd say that 3 is probably the best game in the entire series. The 5th game, Dragon Quarter, wasn't nearly as interesting or entertaining imo.

Games I'm waiting most for are Persona 5 and FFXV, like many others here. I really should sit down and plow through Personas 1 and 2 (have the roms) but they are almost too archaic at this point, especially compared to 3 and 4.

Tuconots

Disgaea games are only grindy if you want to. You can go through the main story and be done with the game of you want. The beauty of Disgaea games is they just allow you to keep going with extra shit for hundreds of hours worth of grind content if you want. I usually put in 50-150 hours on each one before I get bored with it. Then do it again in a couple years when the next one releases.

Will definitely be grabbing 5. I know what I will be getting for my money with this series.

Tuconots
    Metacritic is already getting in some reviews for Disgaea 5

http://www.metacritic.com/game/plays...e-of-vengeance

Tuconots
    Didn't feel like making a new thread for this, but because there's a lot of disgaea talk in here, you might be interested in this:

Tears of Avia - Kickstarter for a tactical RPG with crafting system, 3D world exploration, dynamic story, etc.

Kickstarter just went live today with a $100k goal so it'll probably hit it fairly easily.

Tuconots
    I like it a lot more than I thought I would, but I can see why some people don't.

For me it didn't really pick up until you start running into the Black Waltz guys. Around that point the character development ramps up and most of the cast is surprisingly charming and well written for a Final Fantasy game. Unfortunately, around Disc 3, all the interesting ATEs and character development stops, and you're left with a fairly uninteresting plot trying to carry it to the end. I think if it didn't bottom out so severely around Disc 3 it'd be a strong contender for my favorite of the entire series. It has a lot of the kind of humor I like. Great scenes like Eiko cooking with Moogles, love letter winding up in the wrong people's hands, Zidane grabbing Dagger's ass, Quina seeing Cid as a frog. I also like the quirky Wizard of Oz art style it has. It makes things like Moogles not look so out of place.

Anyway, my save has 65 hours, but I did everything in the game except collect rare cards. I did some grinding at points too (which turned out to be completely unnecessary). You can only get Exalibur if you have under 12 hours played toward the end of the game -- so its possible to get through it pretty quickly if you wanted to.
    9 was one of the only games next to 6 where the bad guys actually kill/massacre and destroy large scale and are more than a theoretical threat to the planet etc. The scene in 9 where your party stands there watching helplessly again as bahumut up and destroys an entire civilization (that you just interacted with and got to know and feel for some) your just like "fffffuuuu"

9 is hard to get into and sadly does just kinda let you wonder into the end after the build up- but IMO it as a whole is a lot better than many of the other FF offerings- especially the one it followed.

Tuconots
    Those Disgaea 5 reviews are really solid. I know it's not exactly a jrpg, but this series almost always scoring 80+ on metacritic is pretty remarkable, what with western critics' hostility to the genre as a whole.

The original Shadow Hearts is what finally convinced me to ignore reviews at least sometimes. IGN gave it like a 5.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by xadion View Post
    9 was one of the only games next to 6 where the bad guys actually kill/massacre and destroy large scale and are more than a theoretical threat to the planet etc. The scene in 9 where your party stands there watching helplessly again as bahumut up and destroys an entire civilization (that you just interacted with and got to know and feel for some) your just like "fffffuuuu"

9 is hard to get into and sadly does just kinda let you wonder into the end after the build up- but IMO it as a whole is a lot better than many of the other FF offerings- especially the one it followed.
    The part you're talking about where Alexandria falls happens early on disc 3, and shortly after that is where I feel it loses a lot of momentum. You get a boat and start doing a bunch of forgettable tasks, then you get an airship and do more forgettable tasks, then you actually get the airship that took out Alexandria, and don't even do anything interesting with it except head to the finish line. It isn't terrible like the things Tetsuya Nomura comes up with, but there is a lot of filler in there.

Even small little flourishes, like the Moogle playing with the dog in Treno. It's just decoration of a save point, but it's very hard not to smile when you see it, and it adds so much richness to the world's atmosphere. By the end they have boring rainbow bubbles for save points, and several of them are even invisible for "lolz, challenge!"

I did like the ending though. The Melodies of Life song and Vivi's somber Blade Runner ordeal especially managed to hit me in the feelz.

I'd say 9 is currently my third favorite behind 4 and 6. I haven't played 6 since I was like 13 so when I replay it I may even change my mind. I seem to remember 6 having a similar problem of character development dropping off a cliff, and a lot of its gameplay mechanics aren't as solid as 9.
    Last edited by xrg; 09-23-2015 at 09:15 PM.

Tuconots
    I actually really like !IF games, not for everyone but definitely change things up abit game to game but keep the general formula together. Cross Edge (?) was one of the best games I've ever played, fast action but some insane hard battles post game. So many different options as well.
    Cross Edge was fantastic, loved it. Still play it occasionally.

Tuconots
    Cross Edge was fantastic, loved it. Still play it occasionally.
    So sad that it never got more attention. I honestly would put it in my top 10 games of all time (keep in mind outside of NBA games I've played 99% RPG/JRPG/Strat type games for the last 25+ years

Tuconots
    Yeah it just takes a very unique type of gamer to really appreciate a game like that. I really loved all the combos and such. I wanted to get that plat for the PS3 so bad lol. Maybe I will someday.

Tuconots
    So my childhood was messed up because I never played any of the final Fantasy games. With a lot being on Android now which would people recommend.

I understand this question might have a lot of bias in the answers but which should I play first?

Tuconots
    4, 5 or 6. 6 is probably the more highly praised, with 4 as a very close second and 5 having never been released in the west until way later tends to be the hipster FF.

I don't think anything past 6 is playable on android, so not gonna discuss them, but assuming you have access, 7 is also often considered the best and is definitely a must play, though it has aged terribly(it's also being remade). 1 and 2 are very barebones since they're very old school, 3 I believe is interesting but is still fairly old school.

So overall I'd say 4/6 > 5/3 > 1/2, and 7 along with 4/6 if you can play that.
    Last edited by Pyros; 09-28-2015 at 05:01 PM.

Tuconots
    Final Fantasy 4 is considered one of the high water marks of the series. 6 would generally be considered another. After that you have a lot of debate about quality/story/etc. The one thing that basically everyone will agree on is that 8 was shitty, and people who like it should have their opinions become instantly suspect. Otherwise play which ever one you want, because they are generally all reasonably decent games.

Tuconots
    Crone you might want to check out the emulation thread where we just had some great discussions on making emulation boxes for our tvs out of raspberry pis. Small investment and you can play every game from your childhood that you missed. Cheaper than paying the ridiculous prices these cost on the play or apple store.

Tuconots
    The part you're talking about where Alexandria falls happens early on disc 3, and shortly after that is where I feel it loses a lot of momentum. You get a boat and start doing a bunch of forgettable tasks, then you get an airship and do more forgettable tasks, then you actually get the airship that took out Alexandria, and don't even do anything interesting with it except head to the finish line. It isn't terrible like the things Tetsuya Nomura comes up with, but there is a lot of filler in there.

Even small little flourishes, like the Moogle playing with the dog in Treno. It's just decoration of a save point, but it's very hard not to smile when you see it, and it adds so much richness to the world's atmosphere. By the end they have boring rainbow bubbles for save points, and several of them are even invisible for "lolz, challenge!"

I did like the ending though. The Melodies of Life song and Vivi's somber Blade Runner ordeal especially managed to hit me in the feelz.

I'd say 9 is currently my third favorite behind 4 and 6. I haven't played 6 since I was like 13 so when I replay it I may even change my mind. I seem to remember 6 having a similar problem of character development dropping off a cliff, and a lot of its gameplay mechanics aren't as solid as 9.
    Spoiler: 
    do we need spoilers? anywho... yeah its after Alexandria gets smoked...your cast is like "WTF did that REALLY just happen?" you do stuff... your out at this floating island city/continent and then they just up and summon bahumut again to annihilate the entire place and your cast is just like "the hell!...seriously" its either before or after your forced loss encounter with "really, I am the bad guy." guy. and yeah after that you get the typical FF falloff into "finish or wonder" mode

Tuconots
    As for RPG's in general.

I consider Lunar The Silver Star Story Complete (PSX) to be the definitive edition of the cadre of remakes and also a ground setting game to the entire JRPG genre. Lunar is imo the epitome of classic high fantasy JRPG, much like Tolkien...I am not saying it is on the same level of like LOTR etc...but my point is- Tolkien set the bar for what a high fantasy novel and series is to be, there have been many that emulate it, follow it etc.. some works worse, some arguably better but it is always agreed it is the classic that sets the stage and has every trope or standard faire done well or done first. Lunar: TSSS imo does that for the JRPG.

Wild Arms (1/remake) are a great romp and a fun game to go through - 3 was fun also, playing through 2 atm then will seek out 4. It is fun to play them in order as the plots are not (as far as I can tell) linked, but the "world" is the same just different era/vision etc. and it has been for me fun to see the things that do carry from one game to the next - mostly 1->3

To me FF games are in flavors - FF2 and 4 are the same flavor of empire takeover and resistance. FF3 and FF5 are all convoluted anime plots but LOOK JOB SYSTEM. FF6 and 7 are eco centric titles where the source of your magic/etc. comes from a live source and the bad empire that exploits that. FF8,9 and 10 are love stories.

Tuconots
    Lunar TSSSC is one of my top 10 RPGs of all time for sure.

Tuconots
    Lunar is great. Lunar 2 was alright, but definitely not as good.

Oh, and FF7 is out on iOS, so it might be on android too. Final fantasy tactics too, definitely a must play
    PSN: Ritley

Tuconots
    Disgaea 5 needs to freaking come out already! I made the extremely hard decision to hang up my Smite MOBA ranked hat and will have a big void to fill as that was about the only video game I played outside of rare games. Ironically I took a new awesome job that actually gives me a lot more money and 20+ less hours a week of work then before AND I get to work out of the house most the time....but alas to easy to fall into the treadmill of playing games and not enjoying the other areas of life. I was stuck in a shit hole for a few years so it don't matter but now that I am in Denver I have to enjoy it!

That being said.....anyone got any good ideas on abit more tactic/strategy rpg's to fill the void abit? I just can't get into single character rpg's, I like building teams etc but the linear rpg's without options have out grown me. One of the best ever was Tactics Ogre; you had so many options as far as classes to pick from, you could even 'feed' extra exp to people in fights by having them get the most kills etc if I remember. Games now days just seem to have the mirage of choice where usually it just doesn't matter. I want a game where I have options of classes and even when I make that I can still say man I want my XXX to be the bad ass carry for my team so I am focusing my money to upgrade his gear and give him extra stat cards blah blah. That's where I get the most enjoyment from, this shit on the rails now days just drives me insane.

I think tactic ogre's even had stat cards dropped from some defeated enemies that you could pick up with whoever you wanted. I wish they had abit better gear selection/special weapons but it was still one of the best games of all time.

Can't wait to make my mage in Disgaea be the bad ass mother fucker carrying the team! I focus all my efforts on the item world to get his gear to rock etc.....definitely love these games!

Tuconots
    Disgaea 5 needs to freaking come out already! I made the extremely hard decision to hang up my Smite MOBA ranked hat and will have a big void to fill as that was about the only video game I played outside of rare games. Ironically I took a new awesome job that actually gives me a lot more money and 20+ less hours a week of work then before AND I get to work out of the house most the time....but alas to easy to fall into the treadmill of playing games and not enjoying the other areas of life. I was stuck in a shit hole for a few years so it don't matter but now that I am in Denver I have to enjoy it!

That being said.....anyone got any good ideas on abit more tactic/strategy rpg's to fill the void abit? I just can't get into single character rpg's, I like building teams etc but the linear rpg's without options have out grown me. One of the best ever was Tactics Ogre; you had so many options as far as classes to pick from, you could even 'feed' extra exp to people in fights by having them get the most kills etc if I remember. Games now days just seem to have the mirage of choice where usually it just doesn't matter. I want a game where I have options of classes and even when I make that I can still say man I want my XXX to be the bad ass carry for my team so I am focusing my money to upgrade his gear and give him extra stat cards blah blah. That's where I get the most enjoyment from, this shit on the rails now days just drives me insane.

I think tactic ogre's even had stat cards dropped from some defeated enemies that you could pick up with whoever you wanted. I wish they had abit better gear selection/special weapons but it was still one of the best games of all time.

Can't wait to make my mage in Disgaea be the bad ass mother fucker carrying the team! I focus all my efforts on the item world to get his gear to rock etc.....definitely love these games!
    Have you played Final Fantasy Tactics A2? If you have a DS, I highly recommend it. There are a lot of different options for unit customization, plus multiclassing.

Tuconots

If you have a PC, Xcom is the best tactics game in recent memory. Blackguards tactics battle system is really good but the interface and story are lacking. Sequel supposed to be better but I never got it.

Less tactics-like but great turn based games recently would be divinity original sin, aarklash legacy, and wasteland 2...all great games.

If you just want something tactics-like to fill the void for a week while waiting I'd say aarklash since it's short, or Xcom because Xcom.

Tuconots
    [QUOTE=Hateyou;1246060]If you have a PC, Xcom is the best tactics game in recent memory. Blackguards tactics battle system is really good but the interface and story are lacking. Sequel supposed to be better but I never got it.

Less tactics

Thanks for the feedback. I think I did FFT:A2 when it came along time ago (or was there 2 follow up games to FFT? Seemed abit kiddy compared to FFT but had some good systems).

I tried Blackguard and it was kind of meh for me; 2 started out with some good potential but honestly the environmental aspects drove me to quit. I like a few influencing factors in combat but I don't like for my combat to be 2nd to running to pull some lever or stupid shit. It BG2 was actually challenging which was awesome at least.

XCOM I had for Playstation and really enjoyed when it first came out. I didn't try on PC but heard there was some awesome expansion pack or player made version (long war?), I see XCOM2 is coming out down the road so maybe that might be a good fix to try on the PC side, man I used to fucking whip my remote controller across the room when I magically missed 5 of 6 shots with 90% accuracy.....fucking cheating god damn aliens.

I am going to give DO:S a try again when they do the re-release or whatever here soon. Something about it I just didn't like much but I didn't get hardly into it so I'm sure it will get better. Wasteland 2 I lasted like < 2 hours before I realized I have such narrow tolerences and anything sci-fi or post apoc just isn't much interest to me (XCOM being the exception). Aarklash I think I played and really enjoyed, i'll have to go look if I finally finished that but I liked you had some options on skills etc.

Unrelated; anyone kick into the Kickstarter for Unsung Story? It is PSvita (possible PS4 port?) by one of the creators of FFT I believe. Only 1 of 2 KS I have ever put money into....they are going to be delayed by at least a year but I'm still looking forward to it. There is going to be pvp arena battles etc and they said they are balancing classes around that lol......even though its first and foremost a single player tactics game. I heard FFT creator and said TAKE MY 200 dollars, give me goodness. Only other KS I put cash into was HEX since might and magic CTG was my first card game and I enjoyed it greatly. Turned a 500 dollar KS investiment I think into 2000 after I realized I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as M&M.

Any other suggestions? I'll be back from travels Wednesday night and downloading XCOM if nothing else comes up! (Playing Fairy Fencer on my work laptop when I travel; actually kind of a fun game from Idea factory I think.)

Tuconots
    ...I have such narrow tolerences and anything sci-fi or post apoc...

re: KS games... only backed IGAs CV remake thing... ordered ps4 copy...it may arrive before I get a ps4 :-(

Tuconots
    [QUOTE=Turbo;1246112]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hateyou View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I did FFT:A2 when it came along time ago (or was there 2 follow up games to FFT? Seemed abit kiddy compared to FFT but had some good systems).
    Yeah, there are two sequels to FFT.

• Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: The story is pretty good, but the law system sucks. Lots of cool side missions, but you can brick and get stuck if you don't complete them in a certain order (though this doesn't happen until way late in the postgame if you decided to do it). Still a very fun game though.
    • Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift: I like this one better than Advance, even though the story isn't as good. More classes, more races, a revamped non-suck law system, facing effects damage rather than accuracy, MP starts at 0 in a battle but regens twice as fast, and a lot of other cool improvements over the other one. Also has a pretty cool endgame dungeon for hardcore players.

Tuconots
    [QUOTE=Kriptini;1246129]

Yeah, there are two sequels to FFT.

• Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: The story is pretty good, but the law system sucks. Lots of cool side missions, but you can brick and get stuck if you don't complete them in a certain order (though this doesn't happen until way late in the postgame if you decided to do it). Still a very fun game though.
    • Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift: I like this one better than Advance, even though the story isn't as good. More classes, more races, a revamped non-suck law system, facing effects damage rather than accuracy, MP starts at 0 in a battle but regens twice as fast, and a lot of other cool improvements over the other one. Also has a pretty cool endgame dungeon for hardcore players.
    forgot what FFT:A I played but the justification of battle mechanic in the story/plot was quite annoying and barfty. my PSP needs to work...gatta finish FFT!

Tuconots
    I enjoy strategies and hadn't played any Xcom games before. Looked on steam and there's like 6+ different xcoms. Any particular one I should try first?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinzar View Post
    I enjoy strategies and hadn't played any Xcom games before. Looked on steam and there's like 6+ different xcoms. Any particular one I should try first?
    Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within are the latest ones & there's a mod thread on the board called the longest war (I think?) that makes it pretty much perfect. I would steer straight away from Xcom Declassified (The Bureau) as it plays out as a 3rd person shooter ala mass effect but worse. Was not a fun game compared to the other xcom's.

Tuconots
    I bought Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 1 and 2 on steam, that's some fun ass RPG fan service lol. Really fun games. If you like crazy over the top fan service, highly recommended.

Tuconots
    I bought Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 1 and 2 on steam, that's some fun ass RPG fan service lol. Really fun games. If you like crazy over the top fan service, highly recommended.
    I wanted to check these out but haven't had a chance yet.

I'm about halfway through The Last Story and it's still really good, the only problem is there is 0 challenge. I haven't had a game over screen yet.

Tuconots
    I am wondering for a game title and RPG that I can play with my kids...

Lunar SCCC - skipping the need to buy soap... or Super Mario RPG - is that on VC? Lunar I have the discs somewhere and can play on my ps3.

Any other suggestions? Want to make it a gateway to more reading etc. kids are only 4 and 2.5 though :-)

Tuconots

Lunar SCCC - skipping the need to buy soap... or Super Mario RPG - is that on VC? Lunar I have the discs somewhere and can play on my ps3.

Any other suggestions? Want to make it a gateway to more reading etc. kids are only 4 and 2.5 though :-)
    Ni No Kuni? Not sure if you have a ps3 or not but the storybook nature of the graphics and storytelling might be fun if you are controlling most of the action. Plus it has little monsters you capture and use in battle, your kids might like that as well.

Tuconots

Okage was kind of kid-like RPG for PS2 if you have one. My little sister loved it, I believe it was her first (and only) RPG. She was older than your kids though.

Tuconots
    Second Ni No Kuni

Lunar is good too

Tuconots
    2785614-0683753178-heade.jpg

This little gem has caused a flurry of activity over at 8chan, so I picked it up two days ago and have been pretty much playing it non-stop. It's an indie RPG developed by a very small team that has been described as "this generation's Earthbound." I can't really say whether that's accurate or not because I haven't played much of Earthbound (and what I did play of it I didn't enjoy), but if you're looking for a JRPG-esque game with a well-written story (composing of both great comedic and emotional moments), important player choices, "bullet hell" dodge mechanics, and that retro-spirte aesthetic, this game is for you.

In the world of Undertale, monsters and humans used to co-exist, until the humans declared war and sent all of the monsters deep underground, sealing them behind a great magic barrier. You play as a child who one day, while exploring in the mountains, falls down a hole into the Underground, where the monsters now live, and you have to find a way to escape.

CO_1_-QWwAAPACQ.png

One of the cool things about this game is that battling is a bit more open-ended than in most RPGs. You don't have to kill every single enemy (or boss) that you come across, because every single enemy in the game can be "defeated" without killing them. On top of that, there are consequences for killing or sparing enemies. Do you kill a tough boss so that he can't come back later in the game to fight you again? Or do you spare him and attempt to make friends?

The game also has a habit of breaking the 4th wall and making fun of JRPGs. It's really fun and I highly recommend it.

xhIaq3d.png

Tuconots
    Undertale looks damn sweet, thanks for the heads up.

Ni No Kuni is a great option for kids, I need to go back and finish that game up!

Tuconots
    I wanted to check these out but haven't had a chance yet.

I'm about halfway through The Last Story and it's still really good, the only problem is there is 0 challenge. I haven't had a game over screen yet.
    Hyperdimension Neptunia (Rebirth 1 and 2) are fantastic games if you want over the top fan service, japanese weeboo with really good VOs (even the english ones aren't bad), and solid RPG gameplay. If crazy anime girl goofiness isn't your thing, pass on it. Don't buy the original HD:N's that came out for the PS3, they are not nearly as good as the rebirth.

Soundtrack is really good too!

Tuconots
    Pretty sure you guys made fun of me when I recommended these games earlier in the year when I got my Vita..... :V

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinyard View Post
    Pretty sure you guys made fun of me when I recommended these games earlier in the year when I got my Vita..... :V
    I know I did! And I still am. ] : )

Tuconots
    I never did, I play IF! games for years. I just didn't realize this was was quite that good.

Tuconots
    Yeah thanks for suggestions- I have a og 60gig backwards compatible PS3 so anything goes on my system- and I have a great local used game store nearby for any old game needs... f you gamestop.

Tuconots
    Vinyard I will forever make fun of the games you play, even if I play them myself.

Tuconots
    Early (~25 minute) impressions of Disgaea 5 are extremely positive. They've continued the process of streamlining some of the more annoying mechanics that D2 started, my favorite so far being that class creation requires HL instead of mana. The main base is also closer to 3/4's large single room than D2's annoying multiroom deal. There's also a suite of post-battle features like one-time possibly unique max bonus rewards for each stage as well as a sort of mvp system that rewards the characters that contribute most to boosting the bonus gauge.

I know 25 minutes is a ludicrously irrelevant interval of time when the task at hand is evaluating a fucking Disgaea game, but there you go.

edit: Oh, and if you move, you're free to move again, as long as the second movement command falls within the bounds of where you could move from your point of origin. Quite a QoL improvement.
    Last edited by DoctorSpooge; 10-06-2015 at 05:05 PM.

Tuconots
    There's a demo that is basically just the beginning of the game, btw.

My impression is that the mechanics are sound and there's probably a fun SRPG in there somewhere, but like the previous games it's buried underneath story and dialogue that is just so awful that I can't get past it. Maybe someday I'll try to get through one of these games by skipping literally every single bit of dialogue, but it just seems pointless to play a game that way.
    Vorph#1334 - D3

Tuconots
    The Last Story is proving difficult to finish.

It's just so damn easy. Not that I always want to get a game over screen, but I haven't been in danger once yet. I'm towards the end of the game and it's just boring to play. I don't even use any abilities besides my gale when I have to dissipate shit.

Tuconots
    I'm picking up Disgaea tonight so I have something to play for the next couple of days while I'm stuck at home due to getting my wisdom teeth ripped out tomorrow.

Also gonna shill for Undertale one more time. It's REALLY good. (And currently the top-rated game on Metacritic if you care about that kind of thing.)

Tuconots
    Thought I'd share a sort of funny aside. When I went to Gamestop around noon (first time in months, card's been expired for years) to get the game I asked the clerk how many she'd sold. She said I was the second person to buy a copy. I know this shit is niche, but wow - wasn't expecting that.

Thread Information