Page 1 of 93 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss Thread

Tuconots

Weight Loss Thread

Being fat sucks. A couple years ago I was up to 275 and I decided that I was sick of myself and could not be obese anymore. Ended up dropping down to 180 with dieting. Sadly, I then got back into WoW and old habits came back and I went back up to 230. I'm trying to get back down again and I want to stay down this time (no more fucking WoW, ever). No more pop, no more coffee, etc.

Today I weighed myself at 226.0.

Currently I'm trying the same type of diet I was doing before: 2x 180 calorie slimfast drinks, 1x 200 calorie snack bar, 2x 100 calorie light yogurts spread through out the day and a light, mostly protein, low carb/fat dinner (IE, grilled chicken breast) along with raw vegetables (carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli). I hate water, so I'm drinking Crystal Light.

Tuconots
    Eat less. Move more. Science.

Tuconots
    Look at the bright side. Last time you were 270 before you decided to stop being fat, now you're 230.

Getting older is a bummer. Lifestyle changes are also a bummer.

Tuconots
    I plan to do the Stillman diet for about 2 weeks. I've been slacking and need to stop about 15-20.. I carry it well but I still hate the way I feel.. anyone ever try Stillman?

Tuconots
    It is not just dieting, you need a life style change. Join a gym and exercise. I've seen miracles at my cross-fit gym. Paleo plus a 5 days per week workout will do wonders.

Tuconots
    I weighed 300 lbs in high school. Bought a book on exercise and got down into the 170's.

Tuconots
    That diet sounds awful, Sean. Stop thinking about dieting in terms of some ludicrous thing that you go on, but as something that you fix in a way that is sustainable for you in the long term. Start some kind of exercise, too, even if it's just walking for 20 minutes per day.

Tuconots
    I'm fat. But I'm not 'meant' to be. I don't wear it well like some. I was lanky my whole life. 6'1" 155-180 for most of it, until a few years ago. Moved away from the place I called home for 30 years, got older, a touch of depression, some mmo playing, and voila! Fat. Bleh.

It's coming off slowly. I've come to realize I can't crash diet. I feel like shit restricting my calories too much. So it's been just a slight shift here, a slight shift there, grilled chicken sandwich and salad if I must get fast food instead of a burger and fries. Portion control is huge. Seems to be coming off a few pounds every couple weeks. It's going to be a long, slow slog to do this right. So be it. Fuck being fat. It's insane what an insidious thing being overweight is. Saps you of your energy, metabolism is fucked, making it harder to lose the weight, plus age, fucking catch-22 with this shit. I've also lost my ability to integrate socially with people. I'm an engaging guy normally, but the fat creates a poor body image, which in turn has made me into a human-avoiding recluse. Those of you for which being fat is a lifelong struggle, I truly feel for you dudes and chicks, now seeing what it's like from the inside.

Being fat is the ultimate first world problem. No fucking reason to be fat (except for when there is, like my mother-in-law, her bipolar meds make her fat) just like there is no reason to smoke cigarettes. I smoked cigarettes for years and quit cold turkey. It was easy once I decided to do it. Purely an act of focus and willpower. I was able to change my shit permanently with cigarettes, so it will be with all this fatty fucking fat on my bones. Fat.
    Last edited by Orcus; 12-17-2012 at 08:21 AM.

Tuconots
    Me and my fiance started a health living goal about 2 months ago. Basically, we are getting married in August and she hates being fat.

We started a program called "C25K" on her iPod. It's a free app that basically is meant for someone to start from the couch "C" and build up to running a 5k (C25K). The first few weeks are just a couple minutes of jogging then a couple minutes of walking back and forth for about 30 minutes. Now we're reaching the end and we're running for about 28 minutes straight at this point. It's something I never in a million years though I could accomplish, but here I am doing it. This week sucks because I have a chest cold, so my breath is tough to manage, but still going strong. I haven't lost a whole lot of weight on this, but my fiance has. Even if you don't lose a lot of weight, you can feel your legs getting stronger and having that stronger cardio sets you up for all sorts of exercises you can do. I definitely recommend trying it out to get a bit more healthy.

On top of that we started eating healthier. We aren't eating grilled chicken breast, broccoli, and brown rice every meal - I mean, that's fine if you're trying to become absolutely shredded, but we're trying to live normal lives as well. We replaced ice-cream with sugar-free icecream. Stopped having sandwiches during the day for lunch - we use oat brand pitas now. No more snacking at all. NO SODA. I drink low-carb low-sugar Monsters for my caffeine fix. They're like 30 calories with about 4g Carbs and sugars. It's smart changes like this that you move into your daily life that will have a major impact. Is the Monster really healthy? Probably not, but with my lifestyle and the hours I work/school it's necessary for me to function.

Also, try to join a gym and do serious weight lifting. There's a big misconception that you lift weights if you want to be huge, and you just do cardio if you want to lose weight. Weight lifting will burn far greater calories if you really put your heart into it and do it properly. On top of that, you will start seeing a lot of definition in your muscles. I'm not sure if your goal is to just be skinny/toned or what, but this is the thing I recommend most to people trying to lose weight. No one ever listens though..

Tuconots
    Sean,

I believe you said you're on disability? Not sure what kind of course, but I highly recommend adding workouts (if possible) in addition to your diet plan. I started doing P90X and Insanity a couple of years ago and lost 40 lbs. I'm at a point now where I can eat pretty much anything within reason and still maintain my weight.

Tuconots
    So yeah, I'm a fatty and tired of it. I'm a realistic fatty though and I know trying to start this now in the middle of my holiday baking for friends and family would be a retarded idea. So while I wont be trying to not eat said snacks, I wont be going overboard on them this year.

I've been paying for a gym membership that I haven't used since July. Gonna start using that again after the holiday.

Tuconots
    225.2 lbs today.

Yesterday I had 2 slimfast drinks and Chinese food - an egg roll, some sesame chicken, sweet & sour chicken, and fried rice. Also a couple fortune cookies. It was really fucking hard to not give in and eat the left overs from it, especially the second egg roll and more rice.

Registered Dragonlord Deathwing's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Hour and a half of cardio and moderate weights and you could have!

Tuconots
    I was gonna make a thread on this, I did on Morenetz but never recreated it.

Anyway.... TL;DR:

While it all does come down to Calories in - Calories out = Change in weight (energy) this is overly simplistic.

Eat "real" food. Nothing processed, modified as 'low fat' or 'low carb' or "lite". Just simple foods in their whole form. A roasted chicken, a steak, fish fillet, vegetable, nuts, seeds etc.

Avoid any refined or processed carbs and grains. Cutting sugar from your diet is huge. Cutting bread, bagels, pasta, baked goods, anything with flour in it... will have a huge impact. Carbs should be veggies, green leafy ones preferably.

Fat is important, dont fear it or cut it from your diet. Usually the fat along with your protein is a good thing: whole eggs, marbled steak, fish etc. Also have nuts, seeds, avocado, olive oil etc.
    Last edited by Dashel; 12-17-2012 at 06:31 PM.

Tuconots
    A good video on how insulin works in fat accumulation:

Tuconots
    Is there a specific reason you're drinking the Slimfast shakes? 360 calories worth of real food would probably fill you up more than a couple cans of liquid.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    225.2 lbs today.

Yesterday I had 2 slimfast drinks and Chinese food - an egg roll, some sesame chicken, sweet & sour chicken, and fried rice. Also a couple fortune cookies. It was really fucking hard to not give in and eat the left overs from it, especially the second egg roll and more rice.
    If you're trying to lose weight please lose the chinese food. dat sodium..

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by McCheese View Post
    Is there a specific reason you're drinking the Slimfast shakes? 360 calories worth of real food would probably fill you up more than a couple cans of liquid.
    Because I get them cheap from the liquidators store and it's easy to do and keep track of.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodleface View Post
    If you're trying to lose weight please lose the chinese food. dat sodium..
    Yeah, I know. I normally do not eat it. I felt like cheating a bit since it was the Survivor finale though.

Tuconots
    I lost 60 pounds last year on a huge crash diet, some days I would eat 2 apples, some days a bowl of cereal.

I started to put a lot of it on again and I now know the main reason for it, lack of exercise, I don't even eat a lot I just do jack shit, I drove everywhere and if I didn't need to go out then I wouldn't go out.

Just walking somewhere every day for the sake of it makes a huge difference.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Devlin View Post
    I lost 60 pounds last year on a huge crash diet, some days I would eat 2 apples, some days a bowl of cereal.

I started to put a lot of it on again and I now know the main reason for it, lack of exercise, I don't even eat a lot I just do jack shit, I drove everywhere and if I didn't need to go out then I wouldn't go out.

Just walking somewhere every day for the sake of it makes a huge difference.
    This is incredibly true and it's why you find so many more fat people in the suburbs. Without actively changing my diet or making an effort to exercise I lost about 30 pounds over 4 months when I moved from the suburbs to the center of a city (i.e no car, walking everywhere).

It's cliche, but even little stuff like taking the stairs every day at work or walking to lunch instead of driving can have massive impacts on your health.

This all goes back to what others said earlier about needing to make a lifestyle change to lose weight and keep it off. "Dieting" is always going to fail in the longterm, but a lifestyle change will keep you healthy for, well, life.

Registered User Kid Sized Coffin's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Salt isn't really a weight problem unless it's causing you to drink lots of kool-aid or something. Do the couch to 5k thing. Easy as fuck. Just make an ipod mix to sync up with the resting periods. You'll be healthier and it'll be easier to keep off the weight than forever restricting your diet. Just make sure you keep counting calories.
    Last edited by Kid Sized Coffin; 12-17-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Tuconots
    Except salt can lead to hypertension, abnormal heart conditions, kidney disorders, dehydration, digestive issues.. multiply this by a lot for fat people

Tuconots
    You're right, it can cause some issues. A lot of these fad diets exclude it though to trick people into thinking "wow I dropped 2 pounds in 2 days!" and shit. That's just water weight though.

Tuconots
    I got diagnosed with ADD about a year and a half ago and the doc put me on adderol. I dropped 30 pounds in less than 4 months (190lbs to 160lbs). I asked him if that was normal and he said "yup. I've started too prescribe it patients solely for weight loss, especially if they are diabetic."

Tuconots
    Meth is a c2 can be prescribed for weight loss (obesity) too.

Tuconots
    Wife and I have both lost over 40lbs this year on Weight Watchers. Good program if you have problems following many of the above suggestions, or just want the extra support.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by meStevo View Post
    Wife and I have both lost over 40lbs this year on Weight Watchers. Good program if you have problems following many of the above suggestions, or just want the extra support.
    Speaking of weight watchers, www.skinnytaste.com has TONS of amazing recipes for all sorts of relatively healthy foods. Each one provides point values for those on weight watchers, and for everyone else full nutritional information is provided. I've made over a dozen of the recipes on the site and I have loved every one. I made some of the pumpkin muffins for Thanksgiving and no one even suspected they were of the healthier variety.

Tuconots
    For as many eye rolls as people give Weight Watchers, the people who I know who have really gave it a chance have nothing but great things to say about it.

Tuconots
    Because I get them cheap from the liquidators store and it's easy to do and keep track of.
    Buy:

A blender
    Ice Trays
    Almond (Slices)/Flax Seed/Granola
    Peanut/Almond Butter
    Muscle Milk Protein Blend or Similiar of your (non)flavor choice
    Milk or Milk-like derivative/Water
    Bananas/Strawberries/Blueberries/Fresh (Baby) Spinach

Mix and Mash the above until you find a few recipes you enjoy.
    There's nothing wrong with a liquid diet as long as you're getting enough fiber to keep you full and nutrients to fuel the body.

My go to:

.66 -1cu Ice
    Enough Almond Milk to almost cover the ice
    .5-2 scoops choc muscle milk/whey
    1tbs peanut butter
    .3 cup almond slices
    1 banana

Has enough fiber to keep you full for most of an inactive day or forms a solid meal for an active one.

Don't drink this every day unless your working out 3-5 times a week including a swim/bike/run. Same goes for the slimfast if you don't dig a healthier option. Drinking them every other day with plenty of other fluids is fine, but neither should ever be a diet cornerstone unless your ensuring they clear the body/well metabolized.

As for the CrystalLite - if you're serious about getting healthier. Stop with the adult/cancer koolaid. An easy alternative is Agua Fresca and is better for you at all angles.

Blender + Clean Water + fruit/veggies/herbs + lemon/lime juice = Healthy, astronomically better (depending on fruit/veggie choice) for your body, and cheaper.
    Last edited by Sulrn; 12-22-2012 at 12:00 AM.

Tuconots
    What shake would you make for someone who can't have anything with seeds or nuts in it?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeasor View Post
    I got diagnosed with ADD about a year and a half ago and the doc put me on adderol. I dropped 30 pounds in less than 4 months (190lbs to 160lbs). I asked him if that was normal and he said "yup. I've started too prescribe it patients solely for weight loss, especially if they are diabetic."
    It made zero difference for me. I was on 10mg of Adderall XR a day, so fairly small dosage. It might have suppressed my appetite a bit, but not much. I went off it a few months back and while I've put on 5lbs or so, that's as much due to lack of exercise and poor diet as anything else.

Of course everyone works differently.

I really just need to cut a couple hundred calories a day out of my diet and I'll trim the weight down over a few months. I'm just so lazy when it comes to cooking. I get a reasonable amount of exercise.

Tuconots
    The CYP450 system is crucial in 1st pass metabolism. Genetic polymorphism is a major component in explaining why some pharmaceuticals work better/worse/not at all in various individuals (drug metabolism and concentration) - Interaction. Here is some reading material: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1934960/

Tuconots
    Being fat sucks. A couple years ago I was up to 275 and I decided that I was sick of myself and could not be obese anymore. Ended up dropping down to 180 with dieting. Sadly, I then got back into WoW and old habits came back and I went back up to 230. I'm trying to get back down again and I want to stay down this time (no more fucking WoW, ever). No more pop, no more coffee, etc.

Today I weighed myself at 226.0.

Currently I'm trying the same type of diet I was doing before: 2x 180 calorie slimfast drinks, 1x 200 calorie snack bar, 2x 100 calorie light yogurts spread through out the day and a light, mostly protein, low carb/fat dinner (IE, grilled chicken breast) along with raw vegetables (carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli). I hate water, so I'm drinking Crystal Light.
    Take an hour or less out of your daily life and exercise.

60% of the time it works every time.

Seriously though, yeah.

And as others have said/implied, your diet is fucking horrible. You don't really know how to eat properly and never really committed to a full lifestyle change. If you had, you wouldn't have gained anything back. You are eating like a 40 year old soccer mom. Eat real food.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    What shake would you make for someone who can't have anything with seeds or nuts in it?
    I'd ask how far your allergy goes. The spectrum of nut disorders is ridiculously different per individual. One of my good friends is allergic to everything but cocoa powder and hazelnuts.

For a complete shift:
    http://www.richerlife.com/2011/09/ve...protein-shake/

With a little bit of tinkering the above is actually a pretty common shake.

Ice + Water + vanilla/strawberry powder + banana/strawberries + lime juice + pinch-handful of baby spinach.

Is what we came up with until we realized she could eat almond butter and Nutella miraculously without side effects and went back to my go to shake minus the almond milk + almond slices.

Tuconots
    No allergy, I have Crohn's and my body can't process them. I can't eat raw broccoli, cauliflower or carrots either and raw/cooked corn either.

When I say I can't....I mean I can....but I run a 50/50 chance of it throwing me out of remission and as you can guess, I try to avoid that as much as I can.

Unless I'm really craving popcorn...then remission be damned.
    Last edited by Tarrant; 12-18-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Tuconots
    Yeah the problem is unless you want to diet forever you're going to get really bored really fucking fast, sitting around on your arse all day is so counter productive, you burn zero calories so even calorie counting isn't going to work.

Just going for regular walks is a real good idea, maybe buy a dog, that's always a good excuse to go for a walk.

Tuconots
    sitting around on your arse all day is so counter productive, you burn zero calories so even calorie counting isn't going to work.
    I'm not really condoning sitting on your ass all day, but you burn calories just idling bro. Resting metabolic rate and all that. I lost 50lbs being completely sedentary and simply changing my eating habits a couple years ago. Just noticed you said essentially the same thing further up, but to say that calorie counting won't work when you're sedentary isn't completely accurate.
    Last edited by 001001102; 12-18-2012 at 03:05 AM.

Tuconots
    work in a seasonal business and have the next three months off minus a few jobs here, then back to an active lifestyle for the next 8-9 months. thinking about getting a juicer or ninja food processor to curb on the cooking aspect as much as possible and have a few questions.

1) could anyone offer some good blends for breakfast / lunch?
    2) is it costlier than making your own food?
    3) can it be done on a budget of $50 a week (breakfast / lunch portion)

any other tips would be appreciated. basically i don't want to become a fat ass, i'm at 175 right now and could stand to lose 15-20 easy.

processor = http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_3gs0qdkipw_b

Tuconots
    Just going for regular walks is a real good idea, maybe buy a dog, that's always a good excuse to go for a walk.
    He has two little purse dogs, if that counts.

Tuconots
    Heh, I guess I haven't really said much about my pain problems in here before. I'm pretty much in constant pain and have to take some nasty stuff to really do anything. Just standing around in a grocery store for 10-15 minutes brings me to absolutely excruciating pain. So, I'm not a big fan of exercise. I definitely could not handle something like p90x. Between that and an anxiety disorder I rarely go outside.

I was walking my dogs quite a bit in the summer, but even though my legs were strengthening up a bit from that it really got to be too much. I need to get back to light stuff like that again, I know. It's pretty difficult for me to get into anything though with all my various problems. Plus, right now it takes most of my will power to keep my eating habits in check. I'm really not eating too little compared to how much I burn just by being alive, which is all I'm really able to do most of the time. Once I get used to it again (it worked for me before, for nearly a year, I just need to not make the mistakes I did before - Pop/WoW/etc) I can probably try to add in things like light exercise.
    Last edited by Sean; 12-18-2012 at 05:27 AM.

Tuconots
    What areas are in pain? I'm sure if people knew, they could recommend more tailored suggestions

Tuconots
    My biggest piece of advice regarding losing weight, as so many others have said, is food and exercise that fits into your daily life and isn't a problem to keep up. Diets are terrible. You diet, lose weight, stop dieting, gain weight. There is no point to it unless you can find a way of eating that is easy and comfortable enough to maintain. Don't be unrealistic about food. Same with exercise. Plan an exercise routine that works with your life, one that isn't extreme unless you are dedicated and able to keep it up.

Tuconots
    Heh, I guess I haven't really said much about my pain problems in here before. I'm pretty much in constant pain and have to take some nasty stuff to really do anything. Just standing around in a grocery store for 10-15 minutes brings me to absolutely excruciating pain. So, I'm not a big fan of exercise. I definitely could not handle something like p90x. Between that and an anxiety disorder I rarely go outside.

I was walking my dogs quite a bit in the summer, but even though my legs were strengthening up a bit from that it really got to be too much. I need to get back to light stuff like that again, I know. It's pretty difficult for me to get into anything though with all my various problems. Plus, right now it takes most of my will power to keep my eating habits in check. I'm really not eating too little compared to how much I burn just by being alive, which is all I'm really able to do most of the time. Once I get used to it again (it worked for me before, for nearly a year, I just need to not make the mistakes I did before - Pop/WoW/etc) I can probably try to add in things like light exercise.
    No one is denying that you or others have physical limitations, but it really comes down to whether or not you are "not a big fan of exercise" or a big fan of being fat. You can always do *something* and it makes the entire process a million times easier.

Tuconots
    The biggest thing that people don't really seem to get about losing weight is that YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE HUNGRY. That is the natural feeling of losing weight. It sucks, which is why people are fat.

Just like the feeling you get when you are stuffed silly from a big dinner is the feeling of you getting fatter, the feeling of hunger is what you are aiming to replace it with.

Obviously if you're doing it right you won't be passing out from hunger, but I think this is a realization that most people don't/can't have.

Tuconots
    You'll definitely be hungry eating at a deficit but you can make it much easier on yourself by eating good quality food and avoiding sugars and starchy carbs.

Tuconots
    Yeah absolutely. I cut out all grains, pastas, starchy carbs etc, and it's been amazing. I get all my carbs through vegetables with a few fruits and it definitely keeps me full. Most days I like to do a vegetable shake (Kale, Spinach, Broccoli, Celery, Carrot, and an Apple) and eat that throughout the day and I'm usually full as shit the entire day. Not to mention it really does give me a crazy clarity of mind and energy that I had not had before.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodleface View Post
    What areas are in pain? I'm sure if people knew, they could recommend more tailored suggestions
    Heh, just about everywhere. My joints especially and in particular my ankles and shoulders are a total mess.

Quote Originally Posted by lindz View Post
    My biggest piece of advice regarding losing weight, as so many others have said, is food and exercise that fits into your daily life and isn't a problem to keep up. Diets are terrible. You diet, lose weight, stop dieting, gain weight. There is no point to it unless you can find a way of eating that is easy and comfortable enough to maintain. Don't be unrealistic about food. Same with exercise. Plan an exercise routine that works with your life, one that isn't extreme unless you are dedicated and able to keep it up.
    Yeah, I know. I did this successfully for almost a year before. I'm actually perfectly okay with eating what I am now - I'm not a big fan of food since my sense of taste is dulled (my sense of smell is basically close to dead).

My real problem before when I stopped was that I picked up really bad habits like drinking a ton of pop again and lots of coffee (that doesn't really resemble coffee with all the sugar and milk I pour into it to drink it). WoW just caused me a lot of stress (due to jackasses being terrible and wiping us all night over and over and over) and I stress ate a bit on top of picking up those habits. Yeah, it's a bit silly that WoW did that to me, but it did. That all just snowballed into continuing to make bad decisions on eating stuff and going "just one more won't hurt" or "I'll do better tomorrow," etc.

I was perfectly happy with how and what I was eating up until that point and it was a lifestyle change for me that I could keep doing. Sadly, MMOs + Raiding + Bads = Not good for Sean. I'm not going to make that mistake ever again. It's stupid, but it happened. I just have to make sure the same thing or something similar doesn't happen.

Registered User Sanrith Descartes's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Heh, just about everywhere. My joints especially and in particular my ankles and shoulders are a total mess.

Yeah, I know. I did this successfully for almost a year before. I'm actually perfectly okay with eating what I am now - I'm not a big fan of food since my sense of taste is dulled (my sense of smell is basically close to dead).

My real problem before when I stopped was that I picked up really bad habits like drinking a ton of pop again and lots of coffee (that doesn't really resemble coffee with all the sugar and milk I pour into it to drink it). WoW just caused me a lot of stress (due to jackasses being terrible and wiping us all night over and over and over) and I stress ate a bit on top of picking up those habits. Yeah, it's a bit silly that WoW did that to me, but it did. That all just snowballed into continuing to make bad decisions on eating stuff and going "just one more won't hurt" or "I'll do better tomorrow," etc.

I was perfectly happy with how and what I was eating up until that point and it was a lifestyle change for me that I could keep doing. Sadly, MMOs + Raiding + Bads = Not good for Sean. I'm not going to make that mistake ever again. It's stupid, but it happened. I just have to make sure the same thing or something similar doesn't happen.
    You have been given very good advice in this forum. At this point it's all on you. Change you eating lifestyle, don't diet. Less calories in than calories burned = weight loss. Educate yourself on food. Use the intarweb for more than porn and mmo's. I am guessing based on what you posted that you are not flush with cash. Eating healthy can be expensive so you need to focus on healthy within your budget. Eat lots of fucking fresh vegetables. Raw, steamed, boiled (if you have to); anything but fried. Don't skimp on protein. Tuna is amazing. Turkey and chicken both work great. If you can swing it in your budget, there is nothing wrong with good red meat (avoid crappy cuts). Large spinach or romaine salads with meals (use lemon or lime juice or balsamic vinegar for dressing).

Count your calories and always portion out everything so you can properly record the calories. Start at 1800 calories and move down to 1500 over the first few weeks. It will suck the first week or so. Those giant salads come into play here as they are filling and about 20 calories for a cup of greens (which is a metric ton when you see it). Dont use Iceberg lettuce as it is shit nutritionally. Say goodbye to breads. This includes pasta. They are tasty as fuck but just not worth the calories. If you dont know how, learn to cook. Again the intarweb is your friend. Avoid boxed, processed foods. Buy your proteins and veggies fresh and cook them yourself. Have some fruit for desert.

EXERCISE. If you have physical issues do low impact stuff. Swimming is amazing. If you cant swim, walk in a pool/lake for an hour. Resistance is your friend. Short of a death camp style diet, you are not going to see significant weight loss (that stays off) without some form of exercise. Pushups, situps, mountain climbers, whatever. You must get your heart pumping 45 to 60 min a day. Gotta, gotta, gotta.

tl/dr version - All the info is here. If you truly want to lose weight, use the info given to you and find a way. Don't find reasons you can't do something. Find ways you can.

ps.. I am 6'4, weigh 200 and a 48 year old ex marine. I had maintained my weight almost my entire life. When my marriage starting going south a few years ago, I stopped caring and ballooned up to 260. Once it was over I started caring again and got back down to 200 in about 6 months. Been there since. Anyone can do it, it just takes the desire.
    Last edited by Sanrith Descartes; 12-18-2012 at 10:48 PM.

Tuconots
    One helpful tip that I've been given is to primarily stick to the outer ring of the super-market. Also, avoid things that say specifically that they're "healthy." That's usually a marketing gimmick to get stupid fad-dieters to buy their shitty products.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Funk View Post
    The biggest thing that people don't really seem to get about losing weight is that YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE HUNGRY. That is the natural feeling of losing weight. It sucks, which is why people are fat.

Just like the feeling you get when you are stuffed silly from a big dinner is the feeling of you getting fatter, the feeling of hunger is what you are aiming to replace it with.

Obviously if you're doing it right you won't be passing out from hunger, but I think this is a realization that most people don't/can't have.
    This is a great point and relates to cigarettes, or other addictions. You're going to feel bad temporarily, sack up and deal with it. Sure I felt bad for a couple of weeks when I quit smoking, but I knew it was going to happen and just let it happen. Felt like I had a mild illness for a few weeks while I broke the habit, then it was over. If you get a bad flu you'll feel like utter shit for a couple of weeks, then you'll get better. That's how I looked at quitting smoking and it worked, and how I'm treating my weight loss. I'll feel bad for a while while my body re-orients itself, but it will pass. It's not like it's torture, just mild discomfort and hunger pangs.
    Last edited by Orcus; 12-19-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Tuconots
    So..Since monday I dropped about 6 lbs using Stillman diet. It's basically eating nothing but protein. Very similar to the Atkins introduction phase minus fat and no carbs lol.. I'm sure a good amount of it is water weight since you need to consume a ton of water with it, but it's a fast way to drop some pounds and get you motivated with results. I don't think it's healthy long term but for a few weeks it's good. On avg you lose about 7-15lbs the first week and up to 5 lbs each week after. It's not easy but after abut 3 days you start to adapt. You're basically forcing your body to use it's stored fat by putting yourself in Ketosis. It's a 2 phase diet. Once you get to a weight you're happy with you're suppose to move into the second phase which is for maintenance again similar to that phase of Atkins. Just putting this out there in case someone if feeling overly motivated. I need to drop about 15lbs or so. It's hard to tell since I have a lot of muscle from lifting weights for so long so I just use the mirror.
    Last edited by Convo; 12-20-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Convo View Post
    So..Since monday I dropped about 6 lbs using Stillman diet. It's basically eating nothing but protein. Very similar to the Atkins introduction phase minus fat and no carbs lol.. I'm sure a good amount of it is water weight since you need to consume a ton of water with it, but it's a fast way to drop some pounds and get you motivated with results. I don't think it's healthy long term but for a few weeks it's good. On avg you lose about 7-15lbs the first week and up to 5 lbs each week after. It's not easy but after abut 3 days you start to adapt. You're basically forcing your body to use it's stored fat by putting yourself in Ketosis. It's a 2 phase diet. Once you get to a weight you're happy with you're suppose to move into the second phase which is for maintenance again similar to that phase of Atkins. Just putting this out there in case someone if feeling overly motivated. I need to drop about 15lbs or so. It's hard to tell since I have a lot of muscle from lifting weights for so long so I just use the mirror.
    What works for you works for you. Personally, I dont like the concept of cutting out all carbs or all fat etc. My thoughts are as an omnivore we are meant to take in some of everything. I try to keep things in balance but like I said , whatever works works.

Tuconots
    On avg you lose about 7-15lbs the first week and up to 5 lbs each week after.
    So on average people lose 30lbs in 1 month?

That sounds:

1) Gimmicky
    2) Healthy
    3) Like bullshit

Things like this are why there needs to be "weight loss" threads because you want to drop 15lbs asap. If you(not you specifically) exercise 4-5x week, and stop eating crap, or cut some crap out, you can lose 15lbs in a much healthier time frame and it'll be permanent. Ketogenic diets have been around forever, and as soon as people come off them they balloon the fuck up and wind up weighing more than they did before they started. Keto diets work, of course, but so does exercising a lot and eating high carbs, so does a bunch of other ways, and so does starving yourself.

Find an athletic hobby, stop going to McDonalds and Five Guys, profit. No one needs to do "the ____ diet", you need to not be a fat lazy bitch is all.

note: you = the world, not Convo

Tuconots
    Low carb diets work, you just have to be methodical with them. You really can hurt yourself while losing weight. If you read Atkins book, he does make a point of this.

My advice to anyone thinking about low carb diets is to read Atkins' book. They work, but you'll be best served understanding why they work. And use some sense -- it's not a license to eat bacon and bratwurst all day. You'll lose weight doing that, but your heart will explode trying to pump the mud that you call blood.

Low carb may not be the best/safest tool in the box, but it is a legitimate tool.

Tuconots
    Find an athletic hobby, stop going to McDonalds and Five Guys, profit. No one needs to do "the ____ diet", you need to not be a fat lazy bitch is all.
    This. A million times this.

Eat healthy, get some exercise, and use moderation in all things and you'll be fit as a fiddle. It's really fucking easy to be in decent health at a decent weight.

Tuconots
    Cleaning up your diet absolutely works. Starving yourself works too but I wouldnt suggest it. Stay away from sugar, bread, pasta, cereals etc. That shit will make you both fat and hungry. Eat enough quality protein and enough good fat, get your veggies in there and go easy on fruit. No need to get fancy.

Tuconots
    I think what's good about doing what I'm doing is just getting rid of all those bad habits at once. It's like restarting your body. I would not suggest this as a lifestyle. It's just a starting point for people looking to make a change and hoping to see results. The real change comes with a balanced diet and exercise. I'll move to a body for life style workout in a few weeks and a more balanced diet. A healthy lifestyle also takes planning and I have a plan:-) I should also add.. I've been consistently working out for years.. I hurt my foot and had to lay off running then my gym closed down lol. It's just been a lazy month which is kind of making me anxious to hit the weights.

Tuconots
    Count me in in the "I wanna lose weight" club.

I've always been on the thick side (a bit less than 200 pounds) and wore it well without any direct effect on my health, but two years of unemployment a few years ago really threw out everything out.

I'm now 28 clocking at 240 pounds stable and feeling all around shitty. Joint pains, quickly tired and what self confidence I had was lost.

I thought when I got a job back one year and a half ago that having an active lifestyle would help lose some of it, but so far, nothing really.

Well, I know the main culprit, my fucking eating habits. I almost can't remember the last time I cooked (and it was probably some greasy thing anyway), and nowadays I mostly eat junk fucking food to go (well except when I order japanese, it'd be healthier, if I didn't fucking order for two person just for me).

I've always been a heavy eater, but the current situation really got out of hand when I got a job back. I was so frutrasted food-wise when I had no job and no money, that as soon as I made a living again I kinda took my revenge...and didn't stop. It just counterbalanced my now working lifestyle.

Add to that the fact that I'm often going out with my friends and drinking a lot of beer, and you get where I stand.

Didn't really care for a while, health problems didn't come right away and until recently I wasn't looking into finding girls (yup, have been single and without sex for 2 and a half year and I thought it better. Not really into meaningless sex and didn't want to be in a relationship after a string of hard burns).

But things are changing and, well, at 28, I kinda want to find someone again, which is somewhat impossible in my state (must admit I'm somewhat picky girl-wise, and I don't have any fucking self confidence right now anyway).

The worst shock was last month when this girl I was into just flat out fat-zoned me. We were hanging around drunk at my place, she had sending all the signals for a few weeks (and well, we kinda had a drunk threesome with another girl back in Summer), and we were talking about relationship in general. Drunk as I was, I went right to the "Hey, you could date me, would be simple" and I got a "Well....if you were more...muscled...yeah" while she was looking at my belly (I was shirtless at the time). God damn that stinged.

Anyway, I don't even know where to start to lose weight. Yeah, eating healthier and lesser quantities, ok, but I don't think I could cut everything directly. Kinda need something to ease me into it. Yeah, I have about zero willpower altogether.

As far as exercise go, I try to walk at least 30 minutes everyday already, but of course it's not enough. They should soon (jan/feb) open a company gym at my workplace, and I'll try to take advantage of it. What kind of exercise would be good to start? Can't really start too hard until I get in better shape and I get less joint pains, so any advice is welcome.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkav View Post
    Yeah, I have about zero willpower altogether.
    This is the first thing you need to fix. Getting into good shape is 100% about consistancy, and there is no way you'll be consistant about exercise or eating right if you have no willpower. When you're hungry after work and driving past your favorite take-out place you need to be able to resist the screaming "DO IT, DO IT!" in your head. When you feel tired and unmotivated, you need to gather the willpower to go to the gym anyway and get in a good workout.

Without willpower you might as well not even bother, because you'll just be one of those people that exercises a few times a month, eats like shit Fri-Sun, and then wonders why you never get into shape.

Tuconots
    This is the first thing you need to fix. Getting into good shape is 100% about consistancy, and there is no way you'll be consistant about exercise or eating right if you have no willpower. When you're hungry after work and driving past your favorite take-out place you need to be able to resist the screaming "DO IT, DO IT!" in your head. When you feel tired and unmotivated, you need to gather the willpower to go to the gym anyway and get in a good workout.

Without willpower you might as well not even bother, because you'll just be one of those people that exercises a few times a month, eats like shit Fri-Sun, and then wonders why you never get into shape.
    Yup, I know that full well. I'm just starting to come to term with all of this and trying to prepare myself mentally first. It's also why I thought I'd post here about it, maybe as a kind of support and maybe somebody will call my shit out. Don't really talk about all that stuff with my friends. I'm more touchy about it that I'd like to admit.

Tuconots
    I had a McGriddle this morning it was amazing.

Tuconots
    Fuck this shit I'm going to Burger King for lunch

Tuconots
    Fuck you both, you're making me hungry. θι

Tuconots
    Have you tried the elliptical machine or swimming? Also consider doing some weight training. It will help your muscles absorb shock better.

Quote Originally Posted by arkktheseaotter View Post
    I had a McGriddle this morning it was amazing.
    I tried a McGriddle this morning because of your post. Yuck.

Tuconots

That sounds:

1) Gimmicky
    2) Healthy
    3) Like bullshit
    Yup. The most you should realistically lose over the long term without going nuts or malnourishing yourself is 1.5-2 lbs per week. That requires a net caloric deficit of 750-1000 per day, which is a lot. Anyone that talks about losing 5-15 lbs in a week is really just dehydrating and/or passing food bulk. While they might weigh less, they haven't changed their body composition meaningfully.

Tuconots

I've found that once you get into a solid routine, continuing to work out isn't a problem. In fact, the satisfaction you get from a good work out is pretty rewarding. Getting into that initial groove takes some work and motivation, but after a couple weeks it just becomes a part of your day. What sucks is something like an extended vacation or business trip that throws you off your routine. I broke my foot back in August and was pretty much couch-ridden the entire month. It took me forever to get back in the routine after that even once I was healed up.

Tuconots
    One of the worst mistakes you can do is approach things as a diet. The majority of the time you'll lose some weight then gain it back, then be miserable about gaining it back and end up putting more on.

The best way for me has been making changes in phases. I first completely stopped drinking diet soda and switched to only water. It will be two years in January that I had anything but water with the exception of a couple of beers I've had while out. After a few weeks of being on Water I had already lost 10 lbs with doing nothing else.

Then I changed my diet. I pretty much only eat low carb. This was easier for me though because I've cut most carbs out years ago when I found out I had type 2 diabetes. I'm able to control my sugar without needing to take medication. So it just works for me on multiple levels.

From there it just snowballs into wanting to exercise. You start to lose the weight from the water/eating habit changes and you start to look for more. I have Diabetic Neuropathy in my feet so I can't actually run more than 10-15 seconds without my feet going numb. I can walk about 30-45 minutes, any longer my feet are torn up and I can't walk for 4-5 days. So I ride a stationary bike for my cardio and it saves my feet. I usually do 45 minute sessions, sometimes 2 a day, once in the morning before work and once at night after work. If I'm not going to do 2 sessions I'll do 1 - 1 hour session. 4-5 days a week. Now that I'm closer to 200, I've added in light weights. My goal is to continue with the weight loss until I'm around 185 then increase the weights to convert fat into muscle and not worry about my actual weight as much as my body fat.

When I started in January of 2011 I was 275, I'm at 208 right now. I could have done it quicker but I didn't treat it like a hardcore diet. If I decided to "treat" myself I didn't beat myself up over it, I just picked up the next day.

For eating, I think everyone's body is different. What works best for me is eating twice a day. While I'm at work, I'm just not hungry. So I'll eat a nice breakfast, head to work and then come home for dinner. The trick for me is to eat dinner and then stop. I've always had an issue of snacking while playing mmo's until 12-1am. Once I cut that out, things just clicked.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Suave View Post
    Yup. The most you should realistically lose over the long term without going nuts or malnourishing yourself is 1.5-2 lbs per week. That requires a net caloric deficit of 750-1000 per day, which is a lot. Anyone that talks about losing 5-15 lbs in a week is really just dehydrating and/or passing food bulk. While they might weigh less, they haven't changed their body composition meaningfully.
    It's been 9lbs since Monday actually. Like I said tho.. It's just a starting point and there are some great success stories using any diet. It's really works for you. For me.. My cravings have gone down and I'm filling up faster. Which is nice once I start adding more veggies/fatty foods. I'm certain I've lost fat with the water weight. I think Malkav should give it a try:-)

Tuconots

That sounds:

1) Gimmicky
    2) Healthy
    3) Like bullshit

Things like this are why there needs to be "weight loss" threads because you want to drop 15lbs asap. If you(not you specifically) exercise 4-5x week, and stop eating crap, or cut some crap out, you can lose 15lbs in a much healthier time frame and it'll be permanent. Ketogenic diets have been around forever, and as soon as people come off them they balloon the fuck up and wind up weighing more than they did before they started. Keto diets work, of course, but so does exercising a lot and eating high carbs, so does a bunch of other ways, and so does starving yourself.

note: you = the world, not Convo
    It works because it puts your body in ketosis. But it's nearly impossible to sustain. It's the best "omg high school reunion in one month' diet.

Tuconots
    Personally, I have a much easier time losing weight when drinking a lot of water and eating a lot of fiber and some yogurt/probacteria stuff. Feels like higher metabolism, and more full more of the time.

Replacing cereal with oatmeal/high fiber cereal, rice with quinoa, and removing most bread/pasta and sugar drinks makes such a huge difference, especially when combined with very minor amounts of exercise.

Tuconots
    I'd like to adjust my diet to be low carb (60g or less a day) but I'm an extremely picky eater and over the years Ive become a total carb addict. My biggest source of protein is diary products, egg whites, and chicken. I'm having trouble consuming enough calories using protein and wondering if it would be safe to go the artificial route to get more protein. I hate, no loathe, beans and I don't want to eat red meat so where does that leave me to be able to get 1400 cals a day from protein. I'm concerned using a protein shake will leave me too hungry and result in over eating.

Tuconots
    Ketosis isn't magic, and it isn't really a faster way to diet than anything else, it's just a huge body shock coming from a typical american diet. If you ate only 4 bananas a day it'd create the same effect, or 2 cups of walnuts per day and that's it, or 2 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, or anything that is There's radical weight loss in the first week or two because 1) water retention is down and 2) most importantly, someone is actually sticking to a diet, and generally speaking the average person starting a ketogenic diet is in a MASSIVE deficit at first. People get all crazy losing even 5lbs in a week and they won't acknowledge that 4 of that or more is water. As a non drug using human, you just aren't going to lose more than 1-2lbs of fat a week unless you are obese.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazin View Post
    I'd like to adjust my diet to be low carb (60g or less a day) but I'm an extremely picky eater and over the years Ive become a total carb addict. My biggest source of protein is diary products, egg whites, and chicken. I'm having trouble consuming enough calories using protein and wondering if it would be safe to go the artificial route to get more protein. I hate, no loathe, beans and I don't want to eat red meat so where does that leave me to be able to get 1400 cals a day from protein. I'm concerned using a protein shake will leave me too hungry and result in over eating.
    Being a picky eater is a pretty terrible trait to have when you're looking to change your diet to something more healthy. I'd try to get over that hurdle alone. Are you afraid to try new foods or do you just straight up not like everything?

Tuconots
    I've dug reading some/most of this thread so far, and just wanted to add a bit of my personal feedback. This year I was forced to make some pretty heavy changes to my diet or my oncologist was going to kick my ass. It's been a struggle, but between the diet change and bouldering 3-5 times per week, I've managed to put on a ton of muscle and lost ~40lbs of body weight.

Unfortunately I had a partial tear in my rotator cuff, so I've been down a little over a month now. The hardest part has been going through cancer treatment, and one of the regiments has put on a TON of bloated weight and I've lost a ton of muscle mass because of it as well. I've ballooned back up to ~170, and it's damn frustrating. Hopefully by the time I'm done with this next round, I'll be finished up for good and can really focus on properly building lean muscle to continue climbing.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Being a picky eater is a pretty terrible trait to have when you're looking to change your diet to something more healthy. I'd try to get over that hurdle alone. Are you afraid to try new foods or do you just straight up not like everything?
    I don't know why I hate some foods as much as I do. I grew up eating healthy vegetables everyday not processed food etc. but I always hated it, was a constant battle with my parents. I have trouble not gagging at even the smell of most vegetables. I have tried forcing myself to eat them, I've tried blending them in a juicer but it takes me quite awhile to get a 4 oz glass down. It makes me feel childish but I have tried a lot of food (my wife eats just about anything) and things that people consider normal I can't even swallow let alone eat regularly. I have a fissured and geographic tongue (about 1-2% of population) and it may have something to do with how I respond to certain flavors and textures of food.

Last time I tried adopting vegetables into my diet I figured if I forced myself to eat them everyday for a few weeks I would get use to it. Well about week three into it as I stood at the kitchen sink gagging and feeling nauseous wife took glass from me dumped it and said that's enough. Despite all this silliness I am committed to living healthy so I keep trying to adjust my diet the best I can.

Tuconots
    Do you blend them with fruit Blazin? That should help.

Tuconots
    It's been 9lbs since Monday actually.
    Just know that when you reintroduce carbs to your diet, you're going to gain like 5 pounds in one day. Glycogen is being depleted. Glycogen is heavily hydrated. Not trying to rain on your parade, but I reckon 70-90% of that is not from fat. Don't forget to ask someone to smell your breath. If they say "WTF NASTY" then you're on the right track.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Sized Coffin View Post
    Just know that when you reintroduce carbs to your diet, you're going to gain like 5 pounds in one day. Glycogen is being depleted. Glycogen is heavily hydrated. Not trying to rain on your parade, but I reckon 70-90% of that is not from fat. Don't forget to ask someone to smell your breath. If they say "WTF NASTY" then you're on the right track.
    Yea, I'm aware. For me it's not to much the fast loss on the scale. It's resetting yourself and getting back to healthier eating habits. It's easier for me to do this and work my way into some carbs/healthy fats.

I read some comments about people who use this diet. Since everything is true on the Internet one person actually lost 90lba in like 3 months.. That's crazy even if they only lost 60 lol

Tuconots
    Get referred to a PT/OT. Get an outpatient consult and ask for a list of TherEx based off your situation.

Theraband, PVC Pipes, and fishing weights go a long way.

Tuconots
    No one ever responded to me about what kind of shake I should/could make with the limitations I posted.

Blood Bowl League Abandoner
    Tuconots
    No one ever responded to me about what kind of shake I should/could make with the limitations I posted.
    You can make the same shake, just don't put seeds or nuts in it.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlery View Post
    You can make the same shake, just don't put seeds or nuts in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulrn View Post

**Almond (Slices)/Flax Seed/Granola
    **Peanut/Almond Butter
    Muscle Milk Protein Blend or Similiar of your (non)flavor choice
    Milk or Milk-like derivative/Water
    Bananas/**Strawberries/**Blueberries/Fresh (Baby) Spinach
    ** - Things I can't have

So...drink Muscle Milk with crushed ice? And sometimes add Bananas and Spinach for varity?

.....yum.
    Last edited by Tarrant; 12-22-2012 at 01:52 AM.

Tuconots
    ** - Things I can't have

So...drink Muscle Milk with crushed ice? And sometimes add Bananas and Spinach for varity?

.....yum.

Muscle milk is actually pretty fucking good, can you do cherrys or rasberries or peaches? i see what you ** above so not sure if those 3 are off limits.
    you can also do yogurt has to be the ultra healthy kind, thickens my shakes up wich i personally like, i dont do it everytime but every now and then to switch things up.
    You can also try adding in some extracts of choice, vanilla/peppermint, someone also told me to try sugar-free syrups but i havent.

Tuconots
    I can do peaches, cherries are hit or miss, they have an outter skin that can sometimes mess with me. Peaches are the same but they are easy enough peel. I can't do raspberries though.

Thanks for the tips TecKnoe

Tuconots
    There are really only 2 components to weight loss to worry about. What you eat and how much of it.

How much: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Calc your BMR and then apply the following:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
    That's roughly what you need to break even. Take off 500 cals to lose weight. Dont go below 2k cals a day as a rule of thumb. Adjust as needed every couple of weeks depending on what outcome you see.

That's the standard method. I've used it. Works. It's not very accurate meaning you may lose more or less than predicted. Then you get into "slow metabolism" and plateaus and all that. But it's a good framework for weight loss. Something that I think is equally important if not moreso is what you're eating:

Meat, seafood, eggs: Beef, chicken, shrimp, clams, scallops, tuna, pork, turkey etc etc.
    Fats and oils: Olive oil, butter, palm oil, sesame oil
    Nuts and seeds: almonds, macadamia, walnuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, pine nuts, pecans etc
    Veggies: Artichoke, asparagus, carrots, green beans, onions, peppers, spinach, tomato, sweet potato ... almost anything really
    Fruits: Apple, berries, melons, oranges, pears, pineapple, watermelon etc.

*Eat whole foods. Avoid processed, refined, pre-packaged foods. Avoid anything with labels like "low fat" "lite" "low carb" etc. Basically this means get a bunch of broccoli and a chicken breast rather than Stouffers lean chicken n broccoli with whatever goop on it.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkav View Post
    Count me in in the "I wanna lose weight" club.

As far as exercise go, I try to walk at least 30 minutes everyday already, but of course it's not enough. They should soon (jan/feb) open a company gym at my workplace, and I'll try to take advantage of it. What kind of exercise would be good to start? Can't really start too hard until I get in better shape and I get less joint pains, so any advice is welcome.
    Anytime I have to start from a long period of inactivity I do the following for a 12 week cycle. One exercise for each major muscle group (chest, back, shoulders bi/tri etc), light weight, 12 reps per set, 5 sets, skip a day to let yourself recover. This is getting each of your muscles ready to swap to a more dedicated regimen that will follow in the next cycle. This ends up close to a 60-90 minutes workout. If you dont have that much time, cut down on the number of sets. If you have little to no gym history and are a true beginner this link has a nice starting routine. Same basic framework but starts out at one and two sets per muscle group. http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...g-routine.html

Tuconots
    Trying to stay thin without exercise is like trying to be a good student without doing homework. It can happen, but it really depends on your genetic makeup. You may hate exercise now, but after you get into it for a while it starts to feel good. It's still like homework, but it's like homework for your favorite class. You don't mind doing it and you enjoy the benefits.

In my opinion, the best way for an novice to get into exercise is in some sort of group environment. You have an teacher to provide instruction and guidance, a group dynamic to provide motivation, and a regular workout schedule. If you can commit to exercise you will succeed. Having some sort of exercise classes will make it a lot easier to stay committed. Find a gym that offers a wide range of classes. Classes which work out your core and total body are good. Classes like Zumba, BodyPump, crosstraining, kickboxing, etc will give you a great workout. Just be careful and start out very, very slowly or else you'll injure yourself. Talk to the instructor before class to get advice for what a novice should do. If you have questions about which classes to take, post a link to your gym's classes and we can advise you on which would be best.

Most people use exercise for weight management, but there are so many other health benefits. Even if you never lose a pound, you should be exercising regularly. It keeps your heart and blood healthy, reduces risk for diabetes, fights depression, makes you alert, and gives you more energy. Overweight people, especially, should be exercising since the extra fat is actively causing health issues. Exercise can help to limit the negative effects of the fat.

If nothing else, commit to walking 30 minutes a day. That alone will improve your health. This is a great video which talks about how just walking can make you healthier: 23 and 1/2 hours: What is the single best thing we can do for our health?

Tuconots
    Buy an exercise bike, plant it in front of the tv each day while you watch a 40minute episode of whatever.

The Weight will fly off and the time goes quickly, joining a gym is something you will quit eventually unless you really love it. I find it easier to workout at home and I do it everyday since I always have something to watch!

Tuconots
    I had to go to a specialist a few months ago for a knee issue and he told me right now a lot of the medical journals are saying crossfit is causing a lot of injuries.. Just saying... I have no solid facts. Just what he said. Incase anyone is considering crossfit. May want to research it.

Tuconots
    I haven't heard that regarding Crossfit. I've heard it online, but not verified in journals or anything. It wouldn't shock me though. Crossfit is getting better lately, I know they are adding endurance type blocks to their programs to make people more well rounded. It's certainly better than nothing, and it's definitely hard.

Tuconots
    I haven't heard that regarding Crossfit. I've heard it online, but not verified in journals or anything. It wouldn't shock me though. Crossfit is getting better lately, I know they are adding endurance type blocks to their programs to make people more well rounded. It's certainly better than nothing, and it's definitely hard.
    At least anecdotally, Crossfit is notorious for encouraging people to move too fast with too much weight without good form. A bunch of guys I train BJJ with have screwed up their backs and shoulders to varying degrees by doing Crossfit. There's nothing wrong with the theory, but a lot of the instructors don't have the right background in weightlifting to properly train others.

Tuconots
    Some classes are better for beginners than others. You want to start with classes which don't involve impact and allow you to easily control the effort. If you're just starting out, try these classes:

Water Aerobics -- Lightweight aerobic exercises done in the pool. Great for people with weight issues or joint pain.

Spin/Cycle class -- Workout on a stationary bike. An instructor will guide you through various terrain by having you change the bike's resistance and having you stand or sit. It's non-impact and you have full control over the exertion level. Talk to the instructor before class about how to set the bike properly for your body.

BodyPump -- A weightlifting workout which is done aerobically. I think this is the best class for beginner overweight guys. It's basically a weightlifting-type workout with lots of reps. There are no fancy dance moves or special choreography. The moves are slow and structured and repeated many times. You control the effort by how much weight you put on the bar. Use very light weight when starting out. Once you are comfortable with the moves and have good form, then you can increase the weight. You will see good muscle definition improvements. BodyPump is a national program. You can find more about BodyPump, including nearby classes, at lesmills.com

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Suave View Post
    At least anecdotally, Crossfit is notorious for encouraging people to move too fast with too much weight without good form. A bunch of guys I train BJJ with have screwed up their backs and shoulders to varying degrees by doing Crossfit. There's nothing wrong with the theory, but a lot of the instructors don't have the right background in weightlifting to properly train others.
    No I'd agree they throw caution to the wind but I don't think they *encourage* injury, as weird as that sounds. If you watch the crossfit games half of those people can't deadlift to save their lives, but they probably know how, and just blow through the reps because it's timed/counted. Just saying.

Tuconots
    I had to go to a specialist a few months ago for a knee issue and he told me right now a lot of the medical journals are saying crossfit is causing a lot of injuries.. Just saying... I have no solid facts. Just what he said. Incase anyone is considering crossfit. May want to research it.
    Friend just ruptured his achilles tendon at crossfit. Ugh.

Tuconots
    Crossfit it great because you wont see people in your average gym even attempting deadlifts, nevermind squats, snatch or power cleans. For that reason alone it's better than any other gym I've been to. In fact I'd have a hard time finding a place that would even let me squat or have the equipment to do it. That's the reason I left my last place and tried crossfit.

Where some fail is when the programing calls for something dumb like 50 cleans for time, and the coaches dont enforce good form. The crossfit affiliate I go to is great, if your form is slipping you'll hear about it, but I also know there are some terrible ones out there. Fortunately I think they are a minority though.

Tuconots
    There are morons doing any type of exercise but crossfit seems to attract a higher number of them. The biggest mistake is putting more emphasis on speed and reps than form.

Spoiler: 
    Yzjxi.jpg
    aGNqp.jpg

Skip to 2:10.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikefoods View Post
    There are morons doing any type of exercise but crossfit seems to attract a higher number of them. The biggest mistake is putting more emphasis on speed and reps than form.

Spoiler: 
    Yzjxi.jpg

aGNqp.jpg

Skip to 2:10.

I think that's a big part of it. I actually did a crossfit workout once. I wasn't planning on it. My boxing trainer didn't show to the gym and the crossfit guy asked me if I wanted to give it a try. I fucked my shoulder up that day and kind of felt he was pushing a bit much for not knowing everyone's fitness level.. Plus he had us doing some stupid shit like rolling head first.

I personally think anyone looking to lose weight, with a limited schedule should consider the Body for Life workout. It's great and it's a full lifestyle change you can keep with. I would maybe limit carbs through bread tho

Tuconots
    Peaches are the same but they are easy enough peel.
    Allow me to introduce you to the nectarine: it's a slightly sweeter peach with smooth skin that's easier to pierce with your teeth. It is the god fruit.

Tuconots
    Kashi's protein cereal in clover farms low fat chocolate milk.
    Then a cup of siggi's Icelandic Skyr yogurt, nonfat. Total ~350 calories, almost 40g protein, and a ton of fiber from the cereal. Great way to start a day, and no greasy meats to make you feel loagy.

For lunch - nonfat Greek yogurt mixed with sriracha sauce, cilantro, spicy poco de gallo and tuna in a whole wheat wrap - 40g protein 330 calories, will fill you the fuck up and it's delicious if you don't have pussy spice tolerance

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Sized Coffin View Post
    Allow me to introduce you to the nectarine: it's a slightly sweeter peach with smooth skin that's easier to pierce with your teeth. It is the god fruit.
    Oh I love those too, but there's still a skin there that has a small chance of fucking with me.

Thread Information