Thread: David Dalglish (Shadowdance / Half-Orcs / Paladins)

Boston, MA

David Dalglish (Shadowdance / Half-Orcs / Paladins)

I'm surprised I don't see this author mentioned more on here, figured it was worth a new thread. I'm finishing up the latest Half-Orc books right now and it's solid as usual. He has a ton of books out and is a publishing machine. It's the standard fantasy stuff that we all tend to like, a bit like Abercrombie/Lynch. Plenty of good action, great character development and minimal/almost no cheese. He writes some seriously brutal combat scenes too.

All of his books take place in the same world, so a lot of the main characters appear in all of the different series.

Shadowdance (assassins):
    Shadowdance series by David Dalglish

Half-Orcs (gods/angels/demons, general sword + sorcery fare):
    Half-Orcs series by David Dalglish

The Paladins (gods/demons again, kind of a light vs dark or good vs evil theme, focused on two main characters):
    The Paladins series by David Dalglish

The Breaking World (expansion of the above series):
    The Breaking World series by David Dalglish

And the Watcher's Blade, focused around the main protagonist from the Shadowdance novels:
    The Watcher's Blade series by David Dalglish

Those are somewhat lousy synopses of what the stories are about but I'm really enjoying them. Each book has been a page-turner and there's almost no bullshit filler, stupid cliffhanger endings or wasted characters (eg: Denna in the Kingkiller books). If you're in the market for some new fantasy and are into Abercrombie, Lynch, Brent Weeks, Mark Lawrence and the like they are absolutely worth a read.
    Last edited by Seventh; 06-15-2015 at 05:59 PM.

This guy is another who started out Indie publishing because he couldn't find someone to take on a manuscript outside of the norm and has enjoyed success. It's worth your time to check him out.

Indianapolis, IN
    I thought the stuff got a little goofy at times but they were all enjoyable reads. I recommend these to any fantasy readers looking for more stuff.

When he goes big, it gets -really- big.

I enjoyed the stories though. I was surprised by the characters I ended up caring about.
    Ragefire - Snatty / Vlett
    Tunare - Sethlen / Ryoh
    Vulak - Snatty / Terran
    Stormrage - Vlett (RIP WoW)
    Ps4= Venir_1
    Balmung - Vlett Byrn
    Trakanon - Vlett

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U NO?
    I'm about to finish the 3rd book of the Watcher series. After the first book I was thinking I had to read the Half Orc series. Finished the 2nd book recently and Dalglish himself in the afterword describes his earlier writing as childish basically.

Should I read the half orc stuff? Is his writing between the two as noticeably as he thinks it is?
    Quote Originally Posted by Erronius View Post
    maybe there is some sort of mutant mandingo sweet-corn hybrid

Thread Information