Thread: Harry Shearer (Flanders, Mr. Burns, Principal Skinner, etc.) to leave The Simpsons

Tuconots

Harry Shearer (Flanders, Mr. Burns, Principal Skinner, etc.) to leave The Simpsons

From IGN:

Harry Shearer, prominent voice actor on The Simpsons since 1989, will no longer be part of the iconic animated series.

Shearer confirmed the news himself on his Twitter account, and suggested the departure was a result of a conflict between himself and The Simpsons' showrunners.

from James L. Brooks' lawyer: "show will go on, Harry will not be part of it, wish him the best.". (1/2)

— Harry Shearer (@theharryshearer) May 14, 2015

This because I wanted what we've always had: the freedom to do other work. Of course, I wish him the very best. (2/2)

— Harry Shearer (@theharryshearer) May 14, 2015
    While they've lost voice actors before (like Marcia Wallace in 2013), this is really the first departure from the main cast. He's not going to be an easy man to replace.

His characters include:

• Ned Flanders
    • Charles Montgomery Burns
    • Waylon Smithers
    • Seymour Skinner
    • Dr. Hibbert
    • Lenny Leonard
    • Kent Brockman
    • Scratchy
    • Kang
    • Eddie
    • Otto Mann
    • Rev. Lovejoy
    • Rainier Wolfcastle
    • Jasper

And many others.

Tuconots
    'dough

Tuconots
    do people still watch this show? i gave it up at least 5 years ago. it was nothing like their golden age during the 90s.

Tuconots
    I dunno how you keep doing the show without Shearer. It would be like trying to do the show without that little woman. Yeardly Smith. Sure, she only does one voice... but she's an integral part of the entire thing.

I watch it still now and then. They're not as golden as they were, sure, but they still tend to be well put together and worth the 20 minutes. If it weren't for the 90's, you'd probably have a higher opinion of their recent work. It just makes it look worse than it actually is.

2010+ Simpsons still isn't bad.

Tuconots
    This will probably be the start of the end for the show. Shame really, probably one of the best shows ever on TV, one of the most iconic.

Tuconots
    From the AV Club:

UPDATE: Shearer has indeed left the show, with showrunner Al Jean confirming the news to Hitfix. Jean told the entertainment site that Shearer “was offered the same deal the rest of the cast accepted and passed. We wish him well but the show will go on,” noting that Maggie Simpson, in particular, took it hard.

Jean also says characters voiced by Shearer will remain on the show, telling The New York Times that the show doesn’t “plan to kill off characters like Burns and Flanders but will recast with the finest voiceover talent available.”

Tuconots
    i will say if dimaggio or billy west took the gig i might start watching again just to see what that looks(sounds) like

Tuconots
    I always forget this show is still on the air. I haven't watched an episode in like 10 years.

Tuconots
    My wife had some special offer to get a free box set, and of the ones available, she chose Season 13. I hate to be that guy, but I just couldn't take it. It just wasn't the same.

Tuconots

Thread Information