Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drones (DIY, commercial applications, general info)

Tuconots

Drones (DIY, commercial applications, general info)

I made a thread in the business & finance forum for a project I was looking for help on, specifically building an Indiegogo campaign to help start fund a business for drones. My main interest is using them for work, which is emergency medical & firefighting. Since then, I've spent enough time reading to be comfortable building my own platform and I thought I'd share some info with the RR community. Information and developments on this hobby/business/technology is advancing VERY quick and I'd love to have more people from rerolled involved.

I'll try to keep a good, updated list of the resources I use in the OP and update periodically with my personal project(s).

*If anyone wants to "participate" without making any kind of financial commitment, download mission planner here. Telemetry logs (like the one in the first screenshot) can be easily shared and have a ridiculous amount of information in them.

edit Feb2016 - I never really clarified that I decided not to do any kind of crowdfunding because I didn't want it to be directly tied to the fire department. Also, I started figuring out that a lot of what I was trying to do could be done with a lot less money and a lot more soldering & late nights. Info below needs to be updated, I'll try to get on that soon.

Drone Communities:
    DIY Drones - THE resource for drones/uavs/uas. The founder of DIY drones is Chris Anderson, who went on to create 3DRobotics. 3DR has some of the more affordable ready-to-fly platforms for aerial mapping, like the X8-M and Aero-M. Last week, 3DR also introduced a new quadcopter.

FlightRiot While there are forums on flightriot, they're pretty inactive. The website is more of a blog with some great information from one guy that has building DIY mapping platforms. I've spent a lot of time following tips and videos from geobduffy on this website. I also had a few conversations with him on the phone and was about to buy one of his personal mapping kits, before I decided to build one my self.

RCgroups The most active RC community on the web. Once you start getting deeper into the flight controller/autopilot software, you won't find a lot of support here, but it is a great resource for general info and tips on different hardware.

FPVlab Same as above, but with a focus on video equipment, as well as long range capabilities (1-8km, up to and over 25km)

Other sites:
    Public Lab Open source community dealing with a lot of information on cameras, NDVI imaging and drone mapping.

CHDK Wiki Canon Hack Development Kit wiki - amazing tool for canon cameras

APM Wiki Ardupilot wiki (copters). Ardupilot is the software I use for my fixed-wing UAV. There are many flight controllers out there, but I decided to go with APM and a Pixhawk(3DR) clone(HKPilot32).

FAA UAS page Footdraggers

DroneDeploy I don't have any experience with dronedeploy, but they just launched services recently. If I get a camera that they support, or if they add support for the canon S100, I'll give them a shot.

Phone apps- I have an android, but I think all of these are available I , iPhone as well.

Hover- I mainly use this for a general estimate on wind, but I've also been using it to log flights. You can email the flight log to yourself with GPS cords and weather conditions.

Survey-it - create a grid and return price estimate on a per acre basis. There might be a better option, but I haven't looked yet.

3Dr services- Required for tower

Tower- phone and tablet mission planner.

Feel free to suggest any links to add to this post. I'll update below with my project.
    Last edited by Bandwagon; 02-21-2016 at 08:15 AM. Reason: added phone apps

Tuconots
    I've been flying helicopters for years and quads recently. I got a Dromida Kodo awhile back to terrorize the dog and made a (big) upgrade to a Yuneec Q500...after selling a motorcycle. I made my money back on the Q500 in a round-a-bout way with current FAA regulations and got interested in some different options for firefighting and EMS. To recoup costs, I've been trying to get set up (physically and legally) to do some Near-infrared mapping for agriculture. I just had my first Autonomous flight 2 days ago.

I could still see the aircraft and had telemetry contact, but was out of range for radio contact. I flew it to a friends house, circled for about 3 minutes before the failsafe kicked in, then had it fly back to launch. One of the attached pictures is of the ground control software at the start of the flight.
    GCS screenshot
    Last edited by Bandwagon; 01-31-2016 at 04:16 AM.
    This website was sold Jul'16.
    Abandon ship or not, the new site/backup site is RErerolled

Tuconots
    This is a terrible color index from a RGB camera. No infrared and I didn't edit out the oblique shots from the camera, so the stitch is also bad. I'm just starting to mess with Fiji/ImageJ, So i'm pretty inexperienced with this part.
    7to7.jpg

Tuconots
    Current build on the Fixed Wing:
    ReadymadeRC Finwing Penguin airframe
    HKPilot32 Flight Controller (pixhawk Clone)
    Turnigy9x Transmitter(tx) w/ 8channel receiver & PPMsum encoder(3dr)
    CanonS100 camera with CHDK installed
    Zippy 3cell Lipo 5800MAH battery, soon to be 2x 3s 5400MAH.
    Tiger 2815 motor w/ 9" prop
    APM 3.1 with Mission Planner GCS

If anyone is interested, I can go through some trial & error mods on the penguin I've already done. The foam gets absolutely hammered with a fixed wing pilot as inexperienced as myself, but it's easily fixed and reinforced. I'm currently working on setting up flaperons, to use the Ailerons as flaps for landing. this thing glides forever and has some reeaal long legs on landings.

Tuconots
    Testing out the autopilot
    0404152339.jpg
    0410150015.jpg
    0410151044.jpg

And just messing around with the Q500's "Follow me" feature
    Last edited by Bandwagon; 04-20-2015 at 05:40 PM.

Tuconots
    This is cool as hell.
    Can you comment on the recoup of costs via FAA regulations bit?
    Diablo 3: AMengsk#1547 - Havana
    Black Desert: Mengsk, Charleigh

Sassy Fat Black Woman Agonizing the Bait Master's Avatar
    Tuconots
    As a controller, fuck you

Tuconots

Want to play the next big MMO with us? check out Black Desert Online

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Agonizing the Bait Master View Post
    As a controller, fuck you
    I don't do anything that recreational flyers haven't been doing with RC airplanes for 50 years. I fly well within the AMA guidelines. I am not one of those people that flies to 1500 feet and/or 1000ft away from manned aircraft. Yesterday while flying, I heard an airplane and immediately brought my plane back home and landed.
    So, as a person that is overly cautious and respectful of AMA guidelines and manned aircraft, fuck YOU.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Barellron View Post
    This is cool as hell.
    Can you comment on the recoup of costs via FAA regulations bit?
    The FAA prohibits flying a drone for profit. I don't fly it for profit, I rent it for recreational purposes or for research purposes to COA holders.

I'm still working on the exemption paperwork, too. Just by tuning the PID values in the mission planner software, I've gathered all the data needed to file an exemption, according to the UAS integration office rep.
    Last edited by Bandwagon; 05-05-2015 at 06:08 PM.

Tuconots
    Just a random picture from a high-wind test flight at a co-workers house today. This is from about 360ft. I ended up landing because a crop duster took off nearby, but I did get plenty of pictures for a good stitch. Once I figure out how to upload/host .kmz files, I'll start posting the geo-referenced google earth files.

I also tried flying with the two 3s 5400 batteries from the Q500 wired in parallel. I think I could get an hour of flight without a problem, but they are pretty damn heavy and the plane was flying at about 65% throttle most of the time.
    Ray's house 2 238.jpg

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon View Post
    The FAA prohibits flying a drone for profit.
    How do the movie companies and stock photo places that are using drones now get around that?

Tuconots
    I don't do anything that recreational flyers haven't been doing with RC airplanes for 50 years. I fly well within the AMA guidelines. I am not one of those people that flies to 1500 feet and/or 1000ft away from manned aircraft. Yesterday while flying, I heard an airplane and immediately brought my plane back home and landed.
    So, as a person that is overly cautious and respectful of AMA guidelines and manned aircraft, fuck YOU.
    No fuck you, fly a real plane and stop being a bitch

Tuconots
    Been starting to get a bit interested in racing quad copters when I saw this video. FPV flying looks so bad ass.

And this company is coming out with a pre-build/configured one, for lazy builders like me.

Tuconots
    I bought a little $60 quad copter and I can't fucking fly that thing to save my life. I was pretty good at the little helicopters but the fact that you can't tell the front from the back screws me up and then after you crash it 10 times it's broken. I also almost lost it a couple times because it landed in tall grass.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Agonizing the Bait Master View Post
    No fuck you, fly a real plane and stop being a bitch
    You power trip in a tower all day. I work inside stuff that's on fire. If one of us is a bitch, I'd bet it's the one with coffee-stained cuffs and a calloused ass. In any case, ignored.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by BrutulTM View Post
    I bought a little $60 quad copter and I can't fucking fly that thing to save my life. I was pretty good at the little helicopters but the fact that you can't tell the front from the back screws me up and then after you crash it 10 times it's broken. I also almost lost it a couple times because it landed in tall grass.
    Brutal, the bigger ones are honestly easier to fly. I suck at fixed wing, so I made a point to set up auto takeoff. If you can get one big enough to add a flight controller, it's a lot easier to control.

Also, add yellow nail polish to the back of the quad, or get different colored props

Tuconots
    I have different colored props but when they're 1 inch in diameter and 50 feet away it's not that obvious. I have thought about painting the whole front or something.

Tuconots
    I crash my Hubsan on a regular basis. Had it over a year and still love the damn thing. Though the FPV stuff looks awesome. Might think about getting one of them setups but I would abuse it and prolly end up on the news or in jail.

Tuconots
    Lol got him

Tuconots
    The Hubsan is what I have. One of the motors spins at a different speed than the rest so it won't fly at all anymore. I understand that you can replace the motor and I think I even have a spare one somewhere but I haven't taken the time to figure out how to do it.

Tuconots
    I don't have a hubsan, but the micro quads usually involve soldering 2 wires to replace a motor.

Tuconots
    Brutal did you put on the crashguard thingy? Looks like a cloverleaf plastic thingy to protect the blades and motors. If you didn't see it in the packaging they normally have it taped under the plastic vacumolded stuff the quad was sitting in. It seriously protects the thing from crashes. (And full speed flights into powerwires, houses, my sisters car, that whole overrated gravity thing and lastly goddamned flying bluejays that attacked.)

I am a menace with mine but it is still going strong. Just replaced my 8th rotor blade. Might have to order another pack soon. This is in over a year of flying the thing almost every nice day. Advanced mode flips and speed get me in trouble.

Tuconots
    I did not use the crash guard. It looked cheesy so I didn't bother but I guess I should have. Soldering a couple wires is well within my abilities so maybe someday I will have to try to get it going again and see if I can reduce my level of suck.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Junun View Post
    Been starting to get a bit interested in racing quad copters when I saw this video. FPV flying looks so bad ass.

And this company is coming out with a pre-build/configured one, for lazy builders like me.
    Yea wow, affordable air racing that looks awesome. I guess at some point it's just more expensive than an Occulus Rift if you're doing that sort of thing though?

Tuconots
    cheapest and most reliable way into drones is the hubsan X4. you can buy a replacement motor and try to solder the tiny wires, but at 40 bucks for a new one, who cares

New Version Upgraded Hubsan X4 V2 H107L 2.4G 4CH RC Quadcopter RTF - US$40.99

you can get a handful of extra batteries for 20 bucks. the range on this thing is crazy for its size, easily 300+ feet. the video quality on the X4 that comes with a 2mp camera is decent as well. the it's small enough to fly inside, do flips in a fairly open room.

i also got a blade qx350. i had a gopro mounted to it and FPV. FPV tech isn't quite there yet. even w/ $400 goggles, the video isn't really immersive. i never upgrades based the 5gh transmitter so i couldn't fly around a bush w/o losing video feed. the qx350 is a fun machine, hella quick and can do some amazing flips and barrel rolls

i have a few friends w/ the DJi phantom and inspire. the video they take is amazing and it has insane flight time due to it's batteries.

then another friend more enjoys building them himself, has a few 250s and a 650. i think he crashes about 1:4 flights so the building & rebuilding happens more than him flying.

Tuconots
    Not sure if this belongs in the Rift thread or this one!

Tuconots
    Damn that mustang video is cool as hell. Amazing work on that.

Tuconots
    Anyone looking to do FPV really needs to watch IBcrazy's videos from readymaderc. The tech is definitely available to have near latency-free FPV over a few miles out, but there are a lot of variables to consider. I'll post some links when I'm on the computer.

As far as the business goes, this last week has been a little scary/exciting. I've had 3 people join the company, all 3 having much more impressive resumes than my own. We had a meeting at the college on Friday to talk about some plans for their drone course next year, and I'm going back on Wednesday as a guest speaker for the precision agriculture program. One of the guys that joined my company has already hammered through more of the FAA paperwork in 3 days than I've done in the last 5 months.

It's funny how fast an obsessive/compulsive personality can generate results when mixed with insomnia.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Srathor View Post
    I crash my Hubsan on a regular basis. Had it over a year and still love the damn thing. Though the FPV stuff looks awesome. Might think about getting one of them setups but I would abuse it and prolly end up on the news or in jail.
    If you're not afraid of consorting with old nerds, look for your closest AMA club and join up. Some of the events they put on are more fun than any of the "mischievous" stuff you might get up to on your own, and they are ALWAYS selling stuff for cheap, including fpv equipment

Tuconots
    Advice prease.

Hubsan x4 much recommended, but for $20 more this Syma has ghetto FPV. Wondering if that isn't a better choice if im interested in trying out FPV. (Goggles flying like in those vids is my end goal if I stay commited.)
    Syma X5SC New Version Syma X5SC - 1 Falcon HD Camera 4 Channel 2.4G RC Quadcopter 6 Axis 3D Flip Fly UFO-66.00 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

Or even cheaper I've seen a lot of adds for this little $16 bugger. Cheerson cx-10.

Seems hard to evaluate quads as every store/website seems like they all have raving reviews when I know theres no way thats the case.

Unless I find something better, if I stick with it I was thinking something like the immersionrc vortex. I dont know how strong it is though, I'd kinda like to get into some of the faster stuff like in previous vids in thread. (Maybe not the out of sight in 2 seconds model, but the other terrain manuevering ones that seem fast.)

Had a lot of people local like DJI Phantoms? Theres one on CL for a seemingly decent deal? $650 -- But my impression was these fly smooth, but arn't exactly impressive in forward speed department?
    DJI Phantom 2 Quadcopter
    Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal
    Extra battery
    Extra props
    Immersion RC 600mw 5.8 GHz A/V Transmitter
    DJI iOSD Mini On-Screen Display for Real-Time Flight Information
    5.8GHz Fatshark spiroNET Antenne Set
    Lilliput 664/W 7 inch LCD FPV Monitor W/5.8 GHz 8 Channel video receiver built in.
    (The Lilliput monitor is powered by Canon LP-E6 battery, not included.)
    Bracket to attach FPV monitor to Phantom remote control.

Tuconots
    The phantom is kind of the standard for quad photography. It does have waypoints, unlike my q500, but I don't think they've added camera control in the waypoints yet. The 3DR Solo is in the same category, but has much more fuctionality.

If you do get a phantom, make sure it is the later model with shielding around the gps and compass. They've had a lot of issues with flyaways do to the motors magnetic interference. Also, don't get the model without the higher quality gimble. After a few days, you'll be disappointed when you realize the quality difference.

Lastly, don't spend that much money on one unless you can handle it when it crashes/flys away. Even if you got a brand new one, DJI has the worst customer service out of all the manufacturers. In a situation where a legitimate malfuction causes it to crash/getaway, it's hard to get a replacement.

Tuconots
    Sorry, got long winded. The zenmuse is a good gimble from what I hear, but do you have your own go pro to put on it?

It's definitely not quick like the racing quads, but that wouldn't be a bad setup to get started. I think you'll learn a lot quicker if you build your own though, and save money in the long term.

Tuconots
    Dad used to be into RC, might pressure him on the phantom. (Big dollar engineer). Would have to get a go pro with it.

Probably not my speed then. I like these ones that have just the wide open basic frame and mostly flown low and seem built with crashes in mind and just replacing parts.

I'm horrible about figuring out orientation, even have problems with like rc cars and tracks figuring out left/right when turning the wheel. Not that I do much of that. Kinda why I was thinking for beginner test model some kind of basic FPV might be ideal to see how I like it.

Revised list of what I'm looking at. X4 hubsan or dromida ominus for basic non camera + cheerson for lulz.
    For Cheap attempt FPV I'm now torn on the fpv version of the ominus, syma x5sw explorers, and while hideous seems good reviews on WLtoys V686G.
    Last edited by Sludig; 05-12-2015 at 06:46 PM.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    Damn. That Lily camera is impressive. If it is real. Prolly 1500 bucks though. Hmm checked the website. 500 bucks. They take the money for the pre-order right away. The will refund if you cancel. <wink wink>

I wish my life was exciting enough to need one. Ahh well.
    Last edited by Srathor; 05-13-2015 at 12:54 AM.

Tuconots
    Sludig, the ImmersionRC Vortex is likely going to be the one to beat for price and speed, but it is still in pre-order at the moment for fpv. Also you need to get other stuff to do it justice. FatCat goggles and such. The FPV hubsan x4 is down to around 170ish on amazon but it has a tiny screen built into the controller. Not sure if it is able to be picked up with goggles or not. (I have enough fun with my 39 buck hubsan x4 Though I had to order a new one, a wind gust and a really big tree ate mine yesterday.

There are some neat things happening with the drones though, that Lily is a really amazing idea.

Tuconots
    Just a couple random files. Someone else is doing the post processing for me, but this is another one of my attempts to stitch a small area.
    The video is just the HUD during the flight. I think I had my best auto-landing this afternoon, followed shortly after by the worst auto-landing yet, which donated the plane's landing gear to the wheat field.

The guy doing the post-processing for the business is definitely producing more impressive results than what I'm capable of, but I still think these stitches are cool.

edit: the (boring) hud video is still uploading
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuconots
    Sludig, the Syma quad is not a fpv prebuilt quad. It has a camera that records to memory then you download it after. From everything I have read, the fpv quads are normally quipped with 2 cameras, a gimble mounted gopro camera type for hi def stuff, then a low def fpv that helps you fly it but ain't that pretty. I have a buddy that got a hubsanx4 fpv for mothers day and I'll see what she thinks of it over the next couple of days. If I was gonna blow the money for fpv I would be moving into the vortex and or the more expensive ones. (Hubsan OVA) if it comes out any time soon.

Tuconots
    Just a couple random files. Someone else is doing the post processing for me, but this is another one of my attempts to stitch a small area.
    The video is just the HUD during the flight. I think I had my best auto-landing this afternoon, followed shortly after by the worst auto-landing yet, which donated the plane's landing gear to the wheat field.

The guy doing the post-processing for the business is definitely producing more impressive results than what I'm capable of, but I still think these stitches are cool.

edit: the (boring) hud video is still uploading
    That is cool, but what are they going to use it for exactly? Do they have some sort of computerized fertilizer application that is going to use these pics to decide how much to apply where?

Tuconots
    That is cool, but what are they going to use it for exactly? Do they have some sort of computerized fertilizer application that is going to use these pics to decide how much to apply where?
    That's pretty much right on the money. This is just a RGB/visible spectrum ortho that I made with microsoft ice. The service we're offering is using near infra-red to detect crop stress in a visible image, and the outputs are able to be plugged in directly with some of the existing equipment. I'm very, very thankful that the ag guy joined up, because I just barely have a grasp on what we're doing and he explains it much better. I learned just enough to build the drone around the capabilities, without really understanding how the farmers are going to apply the info after I give it to them.

I just know how to make it fly.
    Last edited by Bandwagon; 05-13-2015 at 04:44 AM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Srathor View Post
    Sludig, the Syma quad is not a fpv prebuilt quad. It has a camera that records to memory then you download it after. From everything I have read, the fpv quads are normally quipped with 2 cameras, a gimble mounted gopro camera type for hi def stuff, then a low def fpv that helps you fly it but ain't that pretty. I have a buddy that got a hubsanx4 fpv for mothers day and I'll see what she thinks of it over the next couple of days. If I was gonna blow the money for fpv I would be moving into the vortex and or the more expensive ones. (Hubsan OVA) if it comes out any time soon.
    This one? Syma X5SW Explorers 2 Wifi FPV RC Quadcopter 2.0MP Camera RTF Sale-Banggood.com , no it is fpv. Wireless signal to a phone. Look at the pics.

Theres yes I've noticed camera focused fpv's with 2 camera, one for the good pics and one for piloting. The ones I've been looking at are like in the forest racing vids and only have the camera for fpv.

Tuconots
    Ahh that is an updated version (Explorers 2) but is not yet released for sale. So they are recommending the 1 version which does not have the fpv. funny. The drone market right now is a lot like the pc market in the 80's Buyer beware. Everyone is making their own thing, regulators are drooling, bureaucrats are fuming, and geeks are running Amok!

Tuconots
    Hobbyking is having a multirotor sale 13th-19th

Tuconots
    some fun stuff, along with the first 2 of 13 videos of IBCrazy's FPV101 series

Last edited by Bandwagon; 05-13-2015 at 08:41 PM.

Tuconots
    I've been working on fixing the landing gear on the drone this morning, and my girlfriend said "Can you take a break from the plane and take care of the recycling?", then got in the shower.

I made this for her before she got out of the bathroom.

0513151318.jpg

Tuconots
    My latest project. One or two more practice sessions in before i film the real races.
    Last edited by Kais; 05-16-2015 at 12:35 AM.

Tuconots
    I would want to see you tearing around the racetrack trying to keep up with the drivers. Or better yet racing quads like the newly released Vortex just screaming around that track.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Kais View Post
    My latest project. One or two more practice sessions in before i film the real races.
    Nice video quality, Kais. What quad/camera are you using?

Tuconots
    What kind of rules do you have for how close you can get to the track? I can just imagine somebody going for a big shot and pushing the wrong button and flying into somebody's windshield and causing a crash.

Tuconots
    Not a quad, a hexa. Way more stable. And it's a GoPro on a 3-axis gimbal with a polarized filter. I've got this baby tuned with zero jello, and several flight modes programmed to allow for fine to coarse control depending on conditions.

Pro-tip: mask off any power supply that might feed into the GoPro from your video out harness. They are notoriously bad at RFI because of it's internal charging circuit. The interference can mess with certain GPS pucks causing flyaways due to magnetic compass interference. More commonly it disrupts video quality in your Vtx. GoPro has stated they are aware of the issue but since it's less than the FCC maximum allowable RFI for a consumer product they have no plans to change it. Some folks have gone so far as to disassemble the housing and coat it with aluminum foil to shield it, but this obviously voids the warranty. This has been a problem for any version of the GoPro 1-4.

Tuconots
    I had to sign a waiver of liability against myself or my property to even be beyond the stands. Beyond that, the restrictions are essentially the same as any other. I won't fly over the crowd or directly over the track. Innfield and pits are fine.

Tuconots
    Is the distortion correction a filter or post processing?

And you're supposed to filter vtx power...but you're not fly I mg with the go pro Wi-Fi enabled, are you? That's the only issue I've heard of with gopros causing interference.

Tuconots
    Sure i have a torroid on my Vtx power. What i was meaning is if you power the gopro from its usb port as opposed to letting it run on pure battery (some gimbals and video out cables allow this through the usb port) the RFI produced from the charging circuit introduces distortion into the video out line. Grainy picture, lines, snow.

Wifi? oh god no. A 2.4ghz transmitter inches away from the control receiver is just begging to lose control of your craft.

Lens distortion is corrected for in post.
    Last edited by Kais; 05-17-2015 at 06:09 AM.

Tuconots
    What kind of rules do you have for how close you can get to the track? I can just imagine somebody going for a big shot and pushing the wrong button and flying into somebody's windshield and causing a crash.
    drone rules are really in flux right now. but there's very little inforcement. if you fly in an open field, your yard, or even an AMA field and don't cause any harm, don't expect anything to happen. If you fly over your property or an open area, nothing to really worry about. If you do something stupid like fly over a baseball field or crash into your neighbors bedroom window, expect trouble. http://www.popsci.com/new-faa-propos...ig-flying-deal

If you are worried about liability, join AMA. for like $55/year, you get a few million dollars coverage. so if your quad does crap out in the air and hurts someone in crashing, you're covered. Academy of Model Aeronautics - Membership Options

in theory the AMA membership also pays for lobbyist to work on your behalf.

Tuconots
    I'm not sure what Kais' intention is with his filming, but I'm pretty sure that the ama isn't covering commercial operations. Still worth the membership costs.

Tuconots
    My intention is to go commercial, but since i don't have a pilots license i cannot apply for an exemption. I'm doing all of this as a hobbyist right now, building contacts.

Tuconots
    You're probably going to need ground school for the uas license anyways. Have you thought about doing that?

2 of the guys I partnered up with have their commercial license, but it sucks that I won't even be able to fly my own for the business.

Tuconots
    Ordered the seemignly new EAmachine H8, aka cheerson cx10 clone but apparently seems better? Eachine H8 Mini Headless Mode 2.4G 4CH 6 Axis RC Quadcopter RTF Sale-Banggood.com

While I wait for it to arrive I'm torn between getting a Dromida Ominus and learning bigger/better on that then get my Electrical engineer father to help with adding my own FPV camera and transmitter. (Rather than the DO FPV version as it sounds like for serious piloting i dont want wifi for lag etc?, also could probably build it lighter) Or Just getting the hubsan x4 H107D FPV which after hours seems to be consistant winner in my book for the cheaper RTF FPV drones.

Ulitmate goal would be the just released Immersion Vortex flying on a fat shark. Since those and a receiver probably would round out to a thousand? Figured even the $150 on other fpv drone tide me over/better risk at deciding if i want to take up the hobby for serious.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Sludig View Post
    Ordered the seemignly new EAmachine H8, aka cheerson cx10 clone but apparently seems better? Eachine H8 Mini Headless Mode 2.4G 4CH 6 Axis RC Quadcopter RTF Sale-Banggood.com

While I wait for it to arrive I'm torn between getting a Dromida Ominus and learning bigger/better on that then get my Electrical engineer father to help with adding my own FPV camera and transmitter. (Rather than the DO FPV version as it sounds like for serious piloting i dont want wifi for lag etc?, also could probably build it lighter) Or Just getting the hubsan x4 H107D FPV which after hours seems to be consistant winner in my book for the cheaper RTF FPV drones.

Ulitmate goal would be the just released Immersion Vortex flying on a fat shark. Since those and a receiver probably would round out to a thousand? Figured even the $150 on other fpv drone tide me over/better risk at deciding if i want to take up the hobby for serious.
    The ominus is great for just fucking around, and everything on it is very easily replaceable, but it's still pretty small and lightweight. The kodo is even smaller and harder to fly, as well as being more crash resistant. I think the small ones are great to learn on because they're such a pain in the ass to keep control of, but they tend to bounce off stuff.

And here is a snippet from RMRC about frequency selection
    Spoiler: 
    Q4: What frequency should I use for my FPV system and why?

Beyond the arguments and opinions available on the forums, there are some basic rules that you should apply. The most important is that you should NOT use the same frequency for video as you use for RC control. Even if it appears successful for ground testing, you will introduce noise in the video from the RC controller transmissions, and you could lose RC control of your plane once you start flying. Always use a different frequency. Also, regardless of the frequency used, itís important to have as much distance as possible between your video transmitter and your RC receiver, and ALWAYS perform a range check both before the video equipment is on and after to make sure your RC range hasnít been significantly affected.

If you are using 2.4GHz for RC control, itís important to note that you should be using a full range receiver and not a park flyer receiver. For Spektrum, you should be using an AR7000 or higher model. If you are in an area where there will not be interference from 2.4GHz sources such as RC radios, Wifi, or other similar wireless equipment, then often 2.4GHz offers the best picture quality and excellent performance. Most people donít live in this type of area, so other frequencies may be useful. Hereís a summary of my opinions regarding the various frequencies available:

900MHz: Can offer some of the best range. A wide selection of antennas are available and in most areas it does not have much outside interference. Can penetrate obstacles such as trees and walls better than higher frequencies (but you still should maintain line-of-sight when flying). It may not be legal in some countries, and is restricted to one channel (910MHz) in the US. Some of the antennas can be large because of the wavelength at this frequency. It can cause some servos to jitter due to improper filtering in the servo.

1.2-1.3GHz (1200-1300MHz): Offers excellent range and also seems to be mostly clear of interference in the US and in other countries. Can penetrate obstacles such as trees and walls better than higher frequencies (but you still should maintain line-of-sight when flying). It may not be legal in some countries, and is restricted to one channel (1280MHz) in the US. This is personally my favorite frequency here in the US.

2.4GHz: Offers excellent video quality and sometimes stereo audio depending on the equipment. In areas without interference, 2.4GHz can work amazingly well and is the favorite of many. Although it will penetrate some obstacles, it is absorbed more than some of the lower frequencies and care should be taken to avoid flying behind obstacles. It may receive interference from the abundance of 2.4GHz devices available, and cannot be used with 2.4GHz RC Systems. Some goggles have built in 2.4GHz receivers, which can make an amazingly portable FPV system.

5.8GHz: Has the benefit of using newer technology in the RF module designs similar to 2.4GHz, but there is almost no interference on this frequency band. Very clear video and often stereo audio is included. Will not have the same range given the same power output, but still can be good for flying longer distances with the proper antennas. Will not penetrate obstacles well and the video may go away abruptly if you fly behind a tree. Also seems to be more sensitive to multipath interference in some situations. Some goggles have built in 5.8GHz receivers, which can make an amazingly portable FPV system.

Tuconots
    Well, the stitch quality has gotten a little better, but my poor laptop can't keep up. This is a stitch of 60 out of 400 pictures.

Smalltest - Copy.jpg
    Last edited by Bandwagon; 05-21-2015 at 05:23 PM.

Tuconots
    Looking good man!

I forget, did you put the HKPilot into a quad/hexa or into a plane? How is your experience with it? Any drawbacks? If you had to do it again would you still get the HKPilot or Pixhawk? It's one of the controllers i'm debating for my next build (either a 800mm hexa or a 700mm x8).

Tuconots
    I'm very, very happy with the HKpilot32. I would absolutely get the pixhawk just to support 3dr and the community, but my budget was tight. this is a great clone.

Tuconots
    And I put it in a plane because I wanted longer endurance. Honestly, it's barely better than a quad in that regard, but that's because this is my first build and there are a lot of things (almost all of them) that I would do differently. Since my plane is functional and flies well as-is, I'm going to leave it alone and change some stuff on the next build. I'm building a 2nd penguin that will have retracts, run on 4s, and have a ~800kv motor with a 10 or 12 inch prop on the CXN motor mount. Right now, I have a lot of the electronics mounted in poor locations that reduces range and doesn't give great accuracy, so all that will change on the next build, too.

I just don't want to fuck with the one I have right now because it's finally able to generate an income.

Tuconots
    aaaannnnnnnd the NIR camera is here...NGB home test 049.jpgNGB home test 063.jpg

Tuconots
    Is that a cotton candy farm?

Tuconots
    I've got a Hero 4 Black and am getting interested in getting in to aerial for fun but not sure which way to go. Should I just grab a Phantom 2 with H4 gimbal or forget about using the H4 and grab a Phantom 3? Main question is if the camera quality in the 3 is at the same level (at least) of the H4B I guess.

Tuconots
    I would use the Go pro if you have it, but look at the 3drobotics solo instead of the phantom.

Tuconots
    GH4 and H4-3D on anything is pretty damn amazing. 3-axis gimbals are a must when it comes to image stabilization. More generally it's because DJI makes great gimbals that are plug-and-play. But if you want to use a non-DJI flight controller that offers different capabilities (like detailed waypoint parameters and flight profiles, enhanced telemetry, etc. It's the old Apple v Windows 98 era all over again) then getting pro gimbal setups gets expensive. The 4k setups with RED cameras are just silly. Don't read into that as a bash on DJI flight controllers though. The A2 system is top tier.

For reference of how good the GoPros are, most of all the footage you see on tv action shows like Deadliest Catch are from them.

But yeah, not the Phantom. While they are great fliers they have one glaring problem for good film platforms imo; you will invariably have parts of your shots occluded by props, arms, and legs.

Tuconots
    We have less options for things over here so DJI is about the only real option and my thought was I have the H4B so up to 4k is done and if the quality is as good as the camera DJI put in the Phantom 3 then I may as well save a few hundred and get the Phantom 2 with H4 gimbal.

For reference;
    Phantom 2 + gimbal = $1439
    Phantom 2 Vision+ = $1779
    Phantom 3 Pro = $1950

DJI Phantom 2 Quadcopter - Buy Now in Australia

Tuconots
    I'm on board with what Kais said. The phantom is pretty solid, but there are a handful of things that will end up forcing you to upgrade later. For me, it's the fact that you're at their mercy for software updates and new features, especially waypoint navigation.

Tuconots
    Small area from a 90acre flight

2015-05-22T16_42_51.771Z.jpg

Tuconots
    Just installed ugcs. Ground control software that has some additional features like the ability to program in obstacles. I'll add it to the OP if it looks good.Universal |ground| control software - HOME

Also, here is a true NDVI image from a few days ago.

Screenshot_2015-05-23-11-19-09-1.jpg
    Last edited by Bandwagon; 05-25-2015 at 05:16 PM.

Tuconots
    Dromida Ominus showed up. Taken a beating already I'm happy with it. My 100+ lb german shepherd terrified of it. Thought he was over it and just curious when hed start moseying up on it cautiously while flying low till he attacked it. No damage but apparently not a fun for whole family thing.

FIL made the point of why not ad a hook and make a game of picking up and dropping off army men or something on little landing pads. Figure it might help as I learn to fly more precisely. Though end goal still FPV. I definately get turned around bad when it faces towards me or especially at an angle.

Need to spend the time looking at all the mods and part swaps I know are out there for it.

Tuconots
    Same field, different method of post processing.

NDVI jpg.jpg

and this is the management zones that are created in the farm management software.

Management zone jpg.jpg

Tuconots
    Also, hobbyking's lottery has a $3,000 transmitter up right now. I used 4 points to enter this one! They had a B-17 up for lottery a couple months ago that I really wanted, so I used a bunch of points then. Should have saved them.

Futaba 18MZH 18Ch 2.4GHz Helicopter Radio System (Mode 1)

Tuconots
    just bought a dji phantom 3 w/ the 4k camera. you can get 720p video over 2 miles away, jsut hook up any iOS or android device to the controller. buddy showed me 1 video and that was it. hopefully get it next week.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Sludig View Post
    Dromida Ominus showed up. Taken a beating already I'm happy with it. My 100+ lb german shepherd terrified of it. Thought he was over it and just curious when hed start moseying up on it cautiously while flying low till he attacked it. No damage but apparently not a fun for whole family thing.

FIL made the point of why not ad a hook and make a game of picking up and dropping off army men or something on little landing pads. Figure it might help as I learn to fly more precisely. Though end goal still FPV. I definately get turned around bad when it faces towards me or especially at an angle.

Need to spend the time looking at all the mods and part swaps I know are out there for it.
    What are you getting for flight times on that?

Tuconots
    Kinda scattered. I havnt actually timed it. With nieces, was getting I feel like probably a 10minute casual floating about a living room. On another occasion I took the battery soon after it was flashing that it was done and outside did all of like 2 flips, some high driving into the sky, and otherwise bunch of buzzing from one side of the yard to other that felt like 4minutes....

Definately interested in seeing what better batteries I can cram into the thing. I know I just can't go get a 5s or whatever without certain electronics needing different bits because of the voltages or something?

Tuconots
    Definitely don't go above the recommended cells. 1S = 3.7v nominal.

So 5s is 3.7x5. I don't know what the ominus can handle, but look for higher mAH, not voltage/cells.

edit: I don't know what the weight is on the stock 1s 700mAh battery, but here is a 1s 1600mAh from hobbyking for $8. 20c instead of 25c, but I think it'll be fine.

Last edited by Bandwagon; 05-30-2015 at 06:55 AM.

Tuconots
    Sounds like its actually a 2cell (see the 2 plugs), and also some said too heavy? I doubt that, though video shows slightly too big to fit the holder unmodified. But saw some folk recommending buying that and splitting in 2 to get just 2 800mah batteries which would still be a small boost.

Tuconots
    Dromida - LiPo 1S 3.7V 700mAh 35C Ominus FPV - Active Powersports

According to the link, the ominus comes with a 700mah 1s battery.

The 2 plugs doesn't have anything to do with it. If I remember right, the dromida drones just run off the balance plug. So cut off the JST plug or tape it to the side.

Tuconots
    I wanted to take a few in-flight videos of the penguin, but the video range of the stock Q500 is fucking horrible.

Here are a few videos of the Penguin doing auto-takeoff, a loiter, and an auto-land. I'll add the 2nd and 3rd videos when they are done uploading.

Last edited by Bandwagon; 05-31-2015 at 03:05 AM.

Tuconots
    EACHINE h8 arrived. Cheerson cx10 clone. Holy fuck the quality for $13 is amazing. Holds extremely steady better than the dromida for me. precise controls. Tiny 50 or 150 mah or whatever battery lasts at least 5 mins forgot to time it. Instructions semi shitty engrish but same as most things. Told me to go from 0 throttle to full and back to link it, but when I did that went straight to flying. My vaulted living room ceiling was amazed how quick it power climbed to ceiling. I'd be worried outside sneeze with throttle to full and I'd lose it.

Tuconots
    That cheerson in expert is a damn screaming bumblebee. I tree'd my cheap hubsan, and ordered a replacement I got it from a different retailer off amazon and it is a really amazing well done Chinese knock off. It looks like a hubsan but on a hair trigger, in expert mode it gets cartwheeling through the air like a damn spastic spider monkey, fun but awfully exhausting.

I did get one of the FPV hubsan quads and while the little screen is neat on the controller I am seriously thinking about getting some goggles for it. It is nice having a hobby but this shit is getting expensive. I need to go back to MMO's to save money.

Tuconots
    I managed to get permission to shoot the French Frigate L'Hermione as it left Yorktown monday during it's maiden voyage! So psyched!

Tuconots

Tuconots
    Bwahahaha Tuco that was great!

I branched out a little and picked up one of the hubsan sized Syma quads. (x11 Model) It is a little slower than the base Hubsan X4 but quite stable and at 27 bucks on amazon a steal to practice with and do stupid shit.

I want to look into one of the hobby ones soon, geeking out on the flight controllers and all the transmitters and receivers and modules sounds like a hell of a lot of fun. But expensive, ahh well I can't take it with me.

Tuconots
    Anyone want to buy a Turnigy 9x transmitter and receiver for $40? I'm going to get a 9xr pro because I'm too lazy to do the smartiepants board and backlighting.

Black Desert Online
    Tuconots
    FPV flight is definitely something I wanna get in to, whenever i get back to the states. What kind of flight time/endurance do you get out of those setups? seems like a lot of juice to transmit video.

I also worry about what FAA regulations will look like in a few years when i'm back stateside and would be able to get in to the hobby side of things.

I know from the other side of the coin, commercial/military that when you lose a drone they tend to make a big deal out of it. That's one of the drones I flew last September for military exercises off the coast of guam.

Tuconots
    I don't think we're too far off from having drone traffic fairly heavily controlled, especially in metro areas. I don't mean via regulation alone.

One of the guys that has been giving me a lot of advise said that his Flexrotor uav can take control of most consumer grade drones that use gps and either force them to land or make the drone follow his back to launch. He told me that when I was talking about something I wanted to build to scout for drones in restricted airspace on forest fires.
    It's sad for the hobbyist that have been flying rc since before I was born, but I'm not really against using a strong hand to prevent safety problems. I'm definitely tired of hearing about privacy concerns, though. I think that issue is blown way out of proportion.

Speaking of privacy concerns...
    I just ordered this yesterday.
    Edit: nevermind, can't paste from my phone. It's the $90 Quanum fpv set from hobbyking, including a shitty headset. I have heard some great things about it and we're starting to get a lot of grass fires here, so I just want something to test.

Tuconots
    I don't think we're too far off from having drone traffic fairly heavily controlled, especially in metro areas. I don't mean via regulation alone.

One of the guys that has been giving me a lot of advise said that his Flexrotor uav can take control of most consumer grade drones that use gps and either force them to land or make the drone follow his back to launch. He told me that when I was talking about something I wanted to build to scout for drones in restricted airspace on forest fires.
    It's sad for the hobbyist that have been flying rc since before I was born, but I'm not really against using a strong hand to prevent safety problems. I'm definitely tired of hearing about privacy concerns, though. I think that issue is blown way out of proportion.

Speaking of privacy concerns...
    I just ordered this yesterday.
    Edit: nevermind, can't paste from my phone. It's the $90 Quanum fpv set from hobbyking, including a shitty headset. I have heard some great things about it and we're starting to get a lot of grass fires here, so I just want something to test.
    Why do you feel privacy concerns are blown out of proportion? As prices on drones continue to fall they will be used by private citizens and every police force. Overall I'm very pro-drone, but that's in my idyllic vision of the future. I think from a practical perspective I'm going to be very anti-drone quite quickly once they become more mainstream.

Tuconots
    Because they are loud and typically have low endurance and short range fpv out of the box. Most people don't give a shit about spying on their neighbor, and those that do would have a lot more success with a dime sized camera hidden in a tree.

There are a lot of better ways to invade someone's privacy, but your average Joe thinks that a phantom is going to fly at 10k ft and zoom in on his wife's left nipple through the skylight.

I really liked the one about the drone following the kids home from the school bus, in Alaska I think. Unsafe and annoying, but if the creepy guy 3 houses down is running it up the flagpole to the FPV video, I think it's safe to assume he's been doing it for years with a dslr.

/drunkrant

Tuconots
    The Fappening, drone edition ?

Tuconots
    I'm video-taping my own fappening with my hands-free drone. I'll pm you the link as soon as it's uploaded, wamphyr

Tuconots
    I don't like filming in public places too much due solely to uninformed morons who invariably approach me and force thier own scare agenda on my actions. Case in point, the video above of the tall ship. Immediately after I take off this lady runs up to me with poison on her tongue about how I don't have her permission to film them and that I must be a paedophile. She runs to a nearby cop starting the same at a near shriek. The cop then explains in small words very slowly that I actually had permission, that even if I didn't it was a public area and no permission was needed. Also there were several hundred people watching the ship depart all with cameras, camcorders, and smart phones.

Tuconots
    I try really hard to not hate people like that, and just redirect it all towards CNN.

Anyways, cool video, Kais. I missed it the first time because Tuco's wedding video distracted me. You're flying a phantom, right? Is there any way you could test out DroneDeploy and let me know how it goes? I think the DJI drones don't require any additional hardware, and I remember seeing that they offer a free trial.

I'm tempted to see if I can trade my Q500 for a phantom just for that purpose.
    How to get DroneDeploy · DroneDeploy

Tuconots
    No it's no phantom. It's a 600mm hexacopter I built. It does use a DJI naza flight controller and h4-3d gimbal that I've tweaked. There's quiet a bit more to it than that however

Tuconots
    I don't see them mention that any naza drone will work. Ok, I'll see if I can find someone local that has one.

Tuconots
    Finally got a test flight on the new drone. I forgot how long it takes to tune the autopilot for good flying.

The custom power system is awesome, and only pulls 18amps at full throttle, but the prop is a little louder than I like. Does anyone know what the advantages/disadvantages are of different props? I know about the diameter and angle, but I'm not sure how the shape or rigidity affect performance and noise.

Anyone?

Thread Information