Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Warhammer: Total War

Tuconots

Warhammer: Total War

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Lleauaric View Post
    I'll believe a GW game not called Space Hulk is good when I see it.

Tuconots
    Deja vu all over again.

Before Total War there was a eerily similar series in the old days called the 5 star series, I believe. They had panzer general, allied general, and the spectacular Fantasy General as big hits very similar to Rome, shogun, and Medievel. This reeks of Star General. It was a great idea on paper but it was shoddily developed and completely bombed taking the whole series with it.

I hated Rome 2 and Panzer General 2, but still bought Star General on day 1. I know I'll do the same with WH. I hope this time it goes better.

Edit: by eerily similar I mean they are both the dominate turn based wargame of their eras and rather than branch out they both began releasing sequels that didn't live up to the originals before taking big risks with IPs out of left field.
    Last edited by Jait; 02-16-2015 at 02:54 AM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Palum View Post
    I'll believe a GW game not called Space Hulk is good when I see it.

The Emperor Provides.

Warhammer 40k FPS Space Hulk: Deathwing Gets a New Trailer - GameSpot

Tuconots
    Jait, I think you confuse the games. Total War is not a turnbased series. The "General" series from SSI was however.

That being said, the previous real-time strategy games like Shadow of the Horned rat was pretty good as I remember it. If we get a Total War version with large parts of the old world to fight over it could be exceptional.

Tuconots
    That trailer gave me aids. I mean, FPS Space Hulk could be awesome, but holy fuck whoever was in charge of making that trailer needs to be shot.

Tuconots
    Warhammer pieces and total war combat style? Yes please.

Tuconots
    And they've officially announced it.

No gameplay yet, but the trailer's pretty cool.

So as I understand it, the game is launching with Empire, Dwarves, Greenskins, and Vampire Counts (and maybe Chaos?), and according to IGN they're planning to do two more stand-alone releases afterwards, which I guess will bring in all/most of the remaining armies.

Tuconots
    I do not understand Games Workshop at all. I figured it was abundantly clear by now that no one cares about fantasy Warhammer, and the only 40k stuff they license are shitty ios games and chess clones? Where the fuck is another Space Marine game, or Dawn of War? So much wasted awesome.

Tuconots
    Regardless of how "OG" their fantasy stuff is, it's just less unique and awesome than their 40k universe and it's annoying as shit that they aren't just licensing out 40k to anyone and everyone so we get some new decent games. I even thought DoW2 was a downgrade from 1 but at least it was ok, and Space Marine was reasonably entertaining. But it's been years now and nothing decent on the horizon!

Tuconots
    Hopefully that cinematic doesn't do it justice. CA's cinematics always let their games down for some reason.

I lurrrv Tzeentch but that wasn't even the best presentation of WH Fantasy's bleak baroque despair... it kinda veers closer to AOR's failed brighter ("painterly" lol) art direction.

The old Mark of Chaos cinematic still does the best job of presenting the WH Fantasy setting in 3 minutes than anything I've seen in the years since it came out.

Tuconots
    Still love the DOW 1 vanilla intro cinematic. I think that also did a great feel for the chaotic large scale nature of 40k. (VS Dow2 which was like squadplay lol....)

Tuconots
    If they have the dwarf army in the game at relese, Im in. Fuck your mages/demons/witches/liches, we have runes and we are not afraid to use them!

(Oh and Skaven for expansion 1 plix, for the lulz when your entire army suddenly retreats because some rat over there died).

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronne View Post
    I do not understand Games Workshop at all. I figured it was abundantly clear by now that no one cares about fantasy Warhammer, and the only 40k stuff they license are shitty ios games and chess clones? Where the fuck is another Space Marine game, or Dawn of War? So much wasted awesome.
    My understanding of how it actually works is this - X company comes to GW and says they want to make a game or games based on Y license (necromunda, blood bowl, fantasy, etc) and they need rights for Z years. Gw says "Okay, it will this amount of money spread of your Z years". Either the company takes it or leaves it.

Tuconots
    they never made a necromunda game. I would rape your mother for a necromunda game.

Tuconots
    No one made one however they did sell the rights to it at one point. I believe they recently sold the rights to it again so who knows.

Basically that is why they go after websites where people are publishing old rules or home rules/games for their games. The IP is worth less if someone else is giving it away.

Tuconots
    Ingame-Engine video woo

Tuconots
    Right after they killed all the lore and armies lol lol

Tuconots
    I was going to say...

Tuconots
    So they've been doing these in-game diaries for a bit but I suppose noone followed it?

Or maybe it's because they're focusing on stuff most players will be auto-resolving through after a few hours instead of showing the campaign game.
    Last edited by khorum; 07-17-2015 at 08:17 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by khorum View Post
    they never made a necromunda game. I would rape your mother for a necromunda game.
    Oddly enough the fantasy version of that morrowheim or something like that is either out or coming out soon. But I too would defile ancestors for a necromunda video game.

Tuconots
    I think that is the only reason why they are allowing something so similar to the tabletop game to come out electronically.

Tuconots
    This game looks incredible, no way it can be this cool

Quote Originally Posted by suineg View Post
    That is how First Blood was drawn though. Do we want John Rambo roaming through the forest of our forums killing the police?

Tuconots
    Please let it be that cool. God damnit I dont ask for much. Let this be awesome.

Tuconots
    There's a lot of technical issues, but at the same time it's zoomed in gameplay of a tactical game that you'll play most of the time zoomed the fuck out, so not too much of an issue, as long as they add some alternate animations for stuff. Looked pretty good though.

Interesting choice of races too, specifically the lack of elves considering they tend to be pretty iconic when it comes to fantasy. Don't care since elves are gay, but going undead over them is interesting. Empire/Orc/Chaos/Dwarves make sense. Skaven would have been great as they're probably the one thing that sets normal Warhammer apart from 40k positively. Maybe for the expansion.

Maybe they could get the license for 40k if this sells decently. This one seems to have a fair focus on large units and stuff that other Total War didn't have(since the others are more realistic and other than war elephants and artillery, there's just not much in real life) so the transition to 40k stuff like the Baneblade, Carnifexes, Deff Dreads and so on would be more natural.

Tuconots
    Yeah cant believe they dont have elves or chaos, heres hoping for an expansion.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalan View Post
    They have Chaos. Unless Chaos is NPC only I guess, but the races description thing has Chaos in there.

From the wiki:
    "The valiant Karl Franz marshals the men of the Empire, seeking to unite the fractured elector counts under a banner of strength against their common enemies.

Hungry for the vicious brutality of combat, the Greenskins flock to the tribe of Grimgor Ironhide; Orcs and Goblins alike filled with an insatiable thirst for carnage.

High King Thorgrim orders the stoic Dwarfs forth from their mountain strongholds, marching to vengefully right the grave injustices dealt to them over the millennia.

Yet the motives of the Vampire Counts under Mannfred von Carstein are shrouded in murderous secrecy, his armies raised from the rotting ranks of the dead.

And while the Old World becomes torn by betrayal, war and the unleashing of unfathomable power, a greater threat still whispers in the winds from the north. The fabric of reality itself begins to rend and buckle… "

Tuconots
    You'll play a few of those tactical games then autoresolve them for the remaining 100+ hours of time in the campaign. They keep doing this shit, show the fucking campaign gameplay.

Tuconots
    As I understand it, the plan is to have a trilogy of semi-standalone releases, with each one adding new races and expanding the map. So initial release is Empire, Greenskins, Dwarves, and Vamps, and if they stick with four factions per release, I'd guess release number two will be something like Chaos, Brets, Wood Elves, and Skaven, with the more far-flung races showing up in the last release.

Tuconots
    That video does look pretty good, hopefully the campaign gameplay comes out as well as the combat looks. I just want more Warhammer games, there's some smaller stuff floating around, but I want more high profile titles like this.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyros View Post
    They have Chaos. Unless Chaos is NPC only I guess, but the races description thing has Chaos in there.

From the wiki:
    "The valiant Karl Franz marshals the men of the Empire, seeking to unite the fractured elector counts under a banner of strength against their common enemies.

Hungry for the vicious brutality of combat, the Greenskins flock to the tribe of Grimgor Ironhide; Orcs and Goblins alike filled with an insatiable thirst for carnage.

High King Thorgrim orders the stoic Dwarfs forth from their mountain strongholds, marching to vengefully right the grave injustices dealt to them over the millennia.

Yet the motives of the Vampire Counts under Mannfred von Carstein are shrouded in murderous secrecy, his armies raised from the rotting ranks of the dead.

And while the Old World becomes torn by betrayal, war and the unleashing of unfathomable power, a greater threat still whispers in the winds from the north. The fabric of reality itself begins to rend and buckle… "

They haven't shown a single chaos unit or model. I have seen the 4 from the other races. Sounds like Chaos is not a playable race and a few models might make an appearance but doesn't sound like its fleshed out .

Tuconots
    If you've played a modern Total War game, I'm pretty sure you'll know what to expect. For those saying auto resolve, I get you to a point. But the entire thing that sets Total War games apart from say Civ, is that the actual battle combat is way more in depth and has thousands of units of the field. If you crank up the difficulty, auto resolve is pretty shit most of the time. To me, that basically looked like Fantasy Total War, which is quite rad in my opinion.
    Because we only stand for being owned and used for profit by our own. Rererolled.org

Tuconots
    They haven't shown a single chaos unit or model. I have seen the 4 from the other races. Sounds like Chaos is not a playable race and a few models might make an appearance but doesn't sound like its fleshed out .
    Ah I see, haven't been following this at all so didn't know they had shown units from all the other armies. So I guess it's either NPC, or it's just a teaser of the first expansion thing. No Chaos kinda sucks then, but oh well.

Tuconots
    I hope they get multiplayer right.

Tuconots
    I haven't played multiplayer TW since Shogun2 slapped on a metagame track to the mp tactical gae. I'm sure the tactical game will appeal to WFB fans, but most TW folks play for the 4x game. Rome2's strategy game changes were great too. Hopefully they roll those into this game.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Column View Post
    This game looks incredible, no way it can be this cool

pfft, that's not the REAL Battle of Black Fire Pass. Get that shit outta here!
    Draegan is a faggoty piece of shit who sold the forum to mmorpg.com just to spite us. Register at the new site.

ReReRolled.org - A Gaming Community

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinmad View Post
    pfft, that's not the REAL Battle of Black Fire Pass. Get that shit outta here!
    Which one? There's been many.

Tuconots
    THE Battle of Black Fire Pass predates the Empire itself. There were no Gryphon mounts, there were no steam tanks, and there was no 'FOR SIGMAR', because Sigmar was there on the battlefield leading the armies of men. The battle would have been lost and the race of men wiped from the earth (maybe not the Brettonii as they had already departed the area that became the Empire) if not for Sigmar's feats on the battlefield. It was after this battle that the kings (and queen) of the other tribes of men hailed him as Emperor, and King Kurgan Ironbeard commissioned Alaric the Mad to forge what would become the 12 Runefangs of the Elector Counts.
    Draegan is a faggoty piece of shit who sold the forum to mmorpg.com just to spite us. Register at the new site.

ReReRolled.org - A Gaming Community

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinmad View Post
    THE Battle of Black Fire Pass predates the Empire itself. There were no Gryphon mounts, there were no steam tanks, and there was no 'FOR SIGMAR', because Sigmar was there on the battlefield leading the armies of men. The battle would have been lost and the race of men wiped from the earth (maybe not the Brettonii as they had already departed the area that became the Empire) if not for Sigmar's feats on the battlefield. It was after this battle that the kings (and queen) of the other tribes of men hailed him as Emperor, and King Kurgan Ironbeard commissioned Alaric the Mad to forge what would become the 12 Runefangs of the Elector Counts.
    It can be The Battle of Blackfire Pass without it being THE Battle of Blackfire Pass. Pretty clear they understand that as it's Karl Franz and not Sigmar fighting

Tuconots
    My dick is so harder than calculus for this. Just started playing Medieval TW. Never had played a TW game prior, watching my knights flank and charge into bowman is so damn satisfying.

Tuconots
    Medieval1? Rome2 is probably my new favorite and it's a more legit successor of Medieval1 than any of the napoleonic ones (or even shogun2).

Tuconots
    I noticed a new game play with the dwarves which was kinda cool. One thing I picked up on was the ability to find hero usable items in the overworld map that can be used during combat (a regen potion in this case).

https://youtu.be/iK0BMkKmwB4

Tuconots
    Please don't fuck this up, please don't fuck this up.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tearofsoul View Post
    Please don't fuck this up, please don't fuck this up.
    +100

Tuconots
    I'm not a big fan of strategy games usually but the warhammer angle really is pretty interesting to me. No chaos is a bit annoying but looking forward to undead. And I assume Chaos will be the first expansion or whatever. I'd like Skavens too but I don't think they'd make it unless they release a bunch, elves and chaos would probably be the 2 expansions and then they'd start working on another game.

Tuconots
    I'm not a big fan of strategy games usually but the warhammer angle really is pretty interesting to me. No chaos is a bit annoying but looking forward to undead. And I assume Chaos will be the first expansion or whatever. I'd like Skavens too but I don't think they'd make it unless they release a bunch, elves and chaos would probably be the 2 expansions and then they'd start working on another game.
    The expansions won't be traditional expansions, thats what the Sega/CA DLC train is for (and they are loathed for it). The two expansions are going to be two standalone releases similar to the main game, which will most likely also have four races each. What is expanding in the other two games, will be the world map, thus allowing for more races, as their territories are added. I would assume the second game adds the other "must haves" like Wood Elves, Chaos, Brettonia and Skaven. I understand why from a geographic standpoint, that they did Vampire Counts, but they are really far down this list in terms of importance.

Honestly I think we are almost guaranteed Skaven with underground battles being included in the base game, it would seem that Skaven would be first up on deck.

Registered User Astral Projection's Avatar
    Tuconots
    In the Grim Future there is only WAR ... and Mexican Niki Minaj?

Zombie 4 (Un)Life ZombieWizardhawk's Avatar
    Tuconots
    I haven't played any of the Total War games but every new video I see of this makes me want it more and more.

Tuconots
    This will be awesome. But I do want me some Dark Elves someday!
    "Let go your earthly tether. Enter the void. Empty, and become wind."
    -Zaheer
    B.Net: TJT#1179

Tuconots
    4/28/2016 release date, hype. Chaos Warrior dlc with pre-order (day 1 dlc not so hype but that's pretty much standard for games these days anyways).

Tuconots
    We have come a long way from Shadow of the Horned Rat

Tuconots
    Was there some kinda backlash against the deathmetal thing 40k had going? Why use that music?

Tuconots
    Video of Chaos that came with the announcement:

Release date is pretty far though. Also Chaos is like, limited Chaos. Only seems to be the Chaos Warriors without any daemon stuff. Kinda makes it meh to me as my favorite part of Chaos was always all the daemons shit, especially stuff like Blue/pink horrors of Tzeentch, Floating Disk for your casters, Khorne Juggernaut and Bloodbeasts and shit like that. Guess that'll come later.

Tuconots
    Eh, 6 months isn't too far out as long as they don't end up having to push it back. Gives me 6 months to become decent/good at Total War games (ended up buying Attila yesterday).

Tuconots
    the cinematic showed a Lord of Change, so hopefully at least greater daemons are in.

Collector's edition for this is also up if that's your thing Total War Warhammer - High King Edition | Total War

Tuconots
    fuck them holding chaos back as a preorder bonus. and fuck paying extra for a finished game.

Tuconots
    fuck them holding chaos back as a preorder bonus. and fuck paying extra for a finished game.
    CA has earned themselves a lot of ill-will after pretty much every release since Empire. It's a horrible idea to buy any of their games on release. They are an unbalanced, buggy mess and it usually takes them at least 1 expansion to "fix" it all. It's really unfortunate, because they are about the only team left in the industry that does this particular genre of "massive" RTS/Turn-Based game, but you're better off waiting a year or so before buying their games. Sadly, that seems to be true of most games nowadays though - especially with the DLC craze.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodleface View Post
    GOD I AM SUCH A FAG

Tuconots
    https://youtu.be/sIogQDIq4po

Last edited by Sulrn; 10-26-2015 at 05:29 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirun View Post
    CA has earned themselves a lot of ill-will after pretty much every release since Empire. It's a horrible idea to buy any of their games on release. They are an unbalanced, buggy mess and it usually takes them at least 1 expansion to "fix" it all. It's really unfortunate, because they are about the only team left in the industry that does this particular genre of "massive" RTS/Turn-Based game, but you're better off waiting a year or so before buying their games. Sadly, that seems to be true of most games nowadays though - especially with the DLC craze.

I disagree with this notion somewhat. Shogun 2 was pretty good and the expansions were an even more simplified game. I'll agree that it took Emperor Edition of Rome 2 to make up for a lot of it's faults (especially with the community curating they did with seasonal events). This though I feel is more of the result of Sega than anything. The major franchises they own are riddled with DLC/P2W (I'm lookin at you CoH2/Football Manager), but what do you expect of a corporation that went bankrupt and turns around and starts buying bankrupt property studios/projects?

But yeah...the nickel and diming is ridiculous. I never understood why anyone ever thought things like a blood dlc for 2.99 was a good idea. Creative Assembly/Sega is why I question things like Battletech's lackluster Kickstarter.
    Last edited by Sulrn; 10-26-2015 at 05:53 PM.

Tuconots

Dear god the campaign map looks incredible.

Registered User Astral Projection's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulrn View Post
    Battletech's lackluster Kickstarter.
    Ehh what is lackluster about the Battletech KS? The game is gonna have pretty much everything you could want in a Mech Commander sequel and you get the full game for $25.

What could you realistically expect to be that much better about it?

Tuconots
    New video showing the world map and stuff:

Registered Dragonlord Deathwing's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Is it too much to hope that this will bring back a game like M2:TW? I want diversification among faction/countries/whatever again.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathwing View Post
    Is it too much to hope that this will bring back a game like M2:TW? I want diversification among faction/countries/whatever again.
    In table top Warhammer, there is (was) massive diversification between not only the armies, but the units within the armies. Hopefully that translates into this game and strategic decisions with unit selection has an impact.

Tuconots
    Eh I don't know, I don't think it's gonna have all the various options the tabletop game has, especially since it doesn't look like your armies are limited by points and stuff but by more traditional ressources so you can stack a lot of the stronger units without losing too much. Maybe the research stuff will be advanced enough that there will be different paths available(like increase your orcs or increase your goblins or increase your casters+siege+beasts or whatever, so you'll have different focus depending on your research).

Still looks great though, definitely looking forward to playing the game. I do wish they'd show Vampire counts though, even if they weren't very popular in the tabletop, when I was a kid and I was into warhammer stuff(mostly buying the army books and reading all the lore shit in them), the Undead armies were my 2nd favorite stuff, after Chaos. Then I discovered Tyranids and forgot all about Warhammer, but still.

Tuconots
    Eh I don't know, I don't think it's gonna have all the various options the tabletop game has, especially since it doesn't look like your armies are limited by points and stuff but by more traditional ressources so you can stack a lot of the stronger units without losing too much. Maybe the research stuff will be advanced enough that there will be different paths available(like increase your orcs or increase your goblins or increase your casters+siege+beasts or whatever, so you'll have different focus depending on your research).

Still looks great though, definitely looking forward to playing the game. I do wish they'd show Vampire counts though, even if they weren't very popular in the tabletop, when I was a kid and I was into warhammer stuff(mostly buying the army books and reading all the lore shit in them), the Undead armies were my 2nd favorite stuff, after Chaos. Then I discovered Tyranids and forgot all about Warhammer, but still.
    If it holds true to the Total War system, the campaign itself isn't balanced around army value but more of army size/stack restrictions. However, the versus/quick battles are balanced around point buys.

In either case, I think if anyone is hoping for the table top depth/variety in this they're going to be sorely disappointed without massive DLC investment or modding.
    Last edited by Sulrn; 12-04-2015 at 01:58 AM.
    Johdi
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm Rich Bitch View Post
    This election is only about skin color and its effects in the United States. Nothing else.

Tuconots
    If anyone cares:

Johdi
    This election is only about skin color and its effects in the United States. Nothing else.

Tuconots
    Where are the fucking undead though.

Tuconots
    I think they've said they'll be showing the vamps in March.

Tuconots
    Don't worry, for the low price of 4.99 you too can purchase the undead culture pack, containing 16 repainted units from the base game and two minor faction bonuses slapped across three incredibly inspired new factions for the newest addition to the Total War series - Total War: Total DLChammer.

Tuconots

Vamps

Tuconots
    This is going to actually be ready by April 28?

Nvm: end of last vid says May 24 that makes more sense. They had me at siege towers. Campaign system looks fun.
    Last edited by Nirgon; 03-15-2016 at 04:51 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirgon View Post
    This is going to actually be ready by April 28?

Nvm: end of last vid says May 24 that makes more sense. They had me at siege towers. Campaign system looks fun.
    As with any Total War new launch, wait 6 months, get it on sale, and avoid all the bugs. Because as normal I am sure it will take 6 months to patch up everything they messed up on.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnayan View Post
    As with any Total War new launch, wait 6 months, get it on sale, and avoid all the bugs. Because as normal I am sure it will take 6 months to patch up everything they messed up on.
    This is the voice of reason. If you refuse to use common sense and avoid this game entirely, at least get it on sale and save yourself some frustration should it befall the same fate as the last 4? Total War games and every fantasy War Hammer game out?
    Johdi

Tuconots
    They hit a homerun with this game. Looks fucking amazing

Tuconots
    They hit a homerun with this game. Looks fucking amazing

YOUR COMMANDER JUST FAILED HIS SAVE, INSERT CREDIT CARD TO PURCHASE POTION OF INVULNERABILITY NOW!

Tuconots
    YOUR COMMANDER JUST FAILED HIS SAVE, INSERT CREDIT CARD TO PURCHASE POTION OF INVULNERABILITY NOW!
    "Just to note - the Chaos Warriors units you see here will be available for you to fight AGAINST whether or not you preorder the game."

Making an lore-essential race a pre-order bonus is totally a HOMERUN for nailing the Games Workshop business model.
    Johdi

Tuconots
    "Just to note - the Chaos Warriors units you see here will be available for you to fight AGAINST whether or not you preorder the game."

Making an lore-essential race a pre-order bonus is totally a HOMERUN for nailing the Games Workshop business model.
    Yea I just heard about that. Interest in game suddenly 0.

Tuconots
    It's missing elves(wood/high/dark), skaven, actual chaos demons and lizardmen too. And those will be added as DLC later. What's one more or less race? And you can get it for "free" if you buy the game at launch. If you don't buy the game at launch, you'll buy the game when the price is reduced so it being a DLC won't have an actual impact. Don't really get the complaint. If you're scared that you buy this at launch but it's unplayable for a few weeks, preorder, then don't play it more than 2hours. If it's shit and they don't fix it quickly enough, refund. If it's good or they fix their shit quick, you have the race already.

Tuconots
    It's called not rewarding shitty business practices. Kind of like why I don't buy GW anymore despite having hundreds of times more disposable income than when I was fourteen.

Tuconots
    I am going into this fully aware that I am going to get double raped by the Sega + Games Workshop dlc combo.... and I am completely OK with that. Bretonnia will most likely be first game paid dlc (seeing as they are in the game mostly finished already).

Game 2 predictions is Skaven, Wood Elves, Khemri, and Ogres.

Games 3 finishes with High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen and Chaos Daemons.

Tuconots
    It looks like they're actually going to just be giving away the Bretonnians for free. Granted, they haven't specifically said it's the Brets yet, but they have said there will be a faction given away as free DLC, and the list of other potential candidates is essentially zero, so I'm feeling comfortable calling it now.

Tuconots
    It's missing elves(wood/high/dark), skaven, actual chaos demons and lizardmen too. And those will be added as DLC later. What's one more or less race? And you can get it for "free" if you buy the game at launch. If you don't buy the game at launch, you'll buy the game when the price is reduced so it being a DLC won't have an actual impact. Don't really get the complaint. If you're scared that you buy this at launch but it's unplayable for a few weeks, preorder, then don't play it more than 2hours. If it's shit and they don't fix it quickly enough, refund. If it's good or they fix their shit quick, you have the race already.
    You don't see an issue with blatantly holding back what most people consider essential pieces of the setting as DLC? You do not see an issue with using lore-essential factions as leverage to lock players in at full price as shady - especially for when said content is 90% already in the game and awaiting a pay unlock? Waiting for the price on the base game to drop does nothing to effect the DLC price - look at Sega's other major franchises that are riddled with DLC or look at previous TW games. DLC prices rarely change - even when the price points are silly. Look at Attila a year post-release - what is essentially a reskin of the updated R2:EE ($60 3 years on, even after being unplayable for a large amount of people the first year). Base game is $45, DLC - $73 to get the full picture of the era the game is meant to depict.

You're defending two major businesses that can afford to put out quality games - but they rarely do. Why? Because it makes more sense to rush a product and charge for it piecemeal. Or simply saturate the market because people will buy it regardless. This is why the AAA gaming industry gets shadier every year and the list of good dev studios gets shorter.
    Last edited by Sulrn; 04-08-2016 at 08:32 AM.
    Johdi

Tuconots
    You don't see an issue with blatantly holding back what most people consider essential pieces of the setting as DLC? You do not see an issue with using lore-essential factions as leverage to lock players in at full price as shady - especially for when said content is 90% already in the game and awaiting a pay unlock? Waiting for the price on the base game to drop does nothing to effect the DLC price - look at Sega's other major franchises that are riddled with DLC or look at previous TW games. DLC prices rarely change - even when the price points are silly.

You're defending two major businesses that can afford to put out quality games - but they rarely do. Why? Because it makes more sense to rush a product and charge for it piecemeal. Or simply saturate the market because people will buy it regardless. This is why the AAA gaming industry gets shadier every year and the list of good dev studios gets shorter.
    I'd find it shady if I had to pay for it, but I don't. Day 1 DLC is one thing, free DLC with preorder is another imo. Every race is lore essential, at least most(I guess lizardmen not so much), so regardless of which would have been withheld, that was gonna happen anyway.

And I'm not defending them, I just feel that in this case, the practice isn't that bad. Yes it'd be better if everything was free, but I'll take the lesser evil any day. I don't feel it's a big deal, and definitely doesn't look like a "I'm not buying this shit ever" kind of issue to me. Different strokes and shit.

And mind you, I rarely if ever buy DLC, for like anything. That's why in this case, to me, it's fine, because the DLC is free, so I don't have to buy it, so I don't care.

Tuconots
    Name one Total War game that released with as many playable factions. Oh You cant. This is their business model. And it works. And they make consistently quality games. This one looks like the greatest Total War game yet.

I have no problem paying 60 bucks for a great game that has 4 fully playable campaigns each one with 300+ turns and a top notch AI that makes each game turn out differently.

Whining because you aren't getting more free stuff? FFS, Email Bernie, maybe he will thrown it in his next speech.

Tuconots
    Name one Total War game that released with as many playable factions.
    Rome total war had 11 real ones and 9 minor ones, 20 total

fuck off nerd

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Punko View Post

fuck off nerd
    And Rome 2 wasn't a "quality" game until months after release, unless you enjoy rocking 20fps on low settings on a high end graphics card.
    Last edited by Zignor 3; 04-08-2016 at 12:31 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Punko View Post

fuck off nerd
    Red Romans, Blue Romans and Green Romans do not count as separate factions. Then the other unlockable factions also used alot of the same units. Each unit for the 4 factions in Warhammer is totally unique to that faction. In the other total war games you would have a few different units, but the core and the mechanics of the faction were all basically the same.

Registered Dragonlord Deathwing's Avatar
    Tuconots
    And they make consistently quality games.
    lol? Buggy releases is what they're known for.

Tuconots
    The whole Total War franchise is one of the greatest ever in computer games.

Tuconots
    I haven't been this excited for a game in a long while, can't wait for May 24th. Just picked up a GTX 970 for this.

Total War: WARHAMMER Future Content Blog - Total War Wiki

Its not confirmed but Bretonnia will most likely be FLC sometime after the game releases. As for another DLC race for the first game I'm thinking either Wood Elves or Skaven.
    Last edited by Strifen; 04-13-2016 at 02:08 AM.

Tuconots
    Red Romans, Blue Romans and Green Romans do not count as separate factions. Then the other unlockable factions also used alot of the same units. Each unit for the 4 factions in Warhammer is totally unique to that faction. In the other total war games you would have a few different units, but the core and the mechanics of the faction were all basically the same.
    By your changing standards? Every Total War ever save Shogun 1/2 and Empire had more dynamic factions than Warhammer. Try harder.
    Johdi

Tuconots
    Rome 2 has more playable factions but so many of them are just copies of each-other with some slight tweaks and different skins. Every faction in warhammer will be totally unique and play differently with their own unique lords/units/spells/items and quests. Will have different campaign mechanics as well. For example just one little thing about playing Vamps is that after you fight a battle a marker will show on the campaign map and you'll be able to raise different units from the corpses. Depending on how many casualties were in the battle you'll be able to recruit elite units.

Warhammer has monstrous units (giants, trolls, arachnarok spider, crypt horrors, demigryph knights) to name a few, as well as a whole bunch of different flying units. You wont find anything as dynamic as that in any historical total war game.
    Last edited by Strifen; 04-13-2016 at 06:07 AM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by CyrusReij View Post
    I am going into this fully aware that I am going to get double raped by the Sega + Games Workshop dlc combo.... and I am completely OK with that. Bretonnia will most likely be first game paid dlc (seeing as they are in the game mostly finished already).

Game 2 predictions is Skaven, Wood Elves, Khemri, and Ogres.

Games 3 finishes with High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen and Chaos Daemons.
    I doubt they are going to make people wait that long to play the 2 bigger elf factions and daemons/lizards on top of it, but you can bet DE/Lizardmen will be together since they share the same landmass. The way that region occupation works leads me to believe skaven/lizardmen will be in the same game since they both occupy temple cities in lustria.

With the way they have laid out their plans for dlc/free dlc they are either going to have an uneven distribution of factions per game or they will start dipping into splinter factions to even out the numbers since your list doesn't include major factions like Beastmen or sub factions like Kislev.

In any case, people going to get cucked for their favorite faction to be left till game 3 and it's going to suck.

My predictions for Game 1 DLC - Wood Elves, Bretonnia, Beastmen

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Strifen View Post

Its not confirmed but Bretonnia will most likely be FLC sometime after the game releases. As for another DLC race for the first game I'm thinking either Wood Elves or Skaven.
    Total War: WARHAMMER - Welcome to The Old World PEGI - YouTube

Definitely seems like Bretonnia is next from watching this video

In the Panhandle waiting for death by Tornado.
    Tuconots
    WTB Skaven army.

Tuconots
    Well considering they literally deleted Athel Loren and Skaven blight from the map (they are there but you cannot go in either area) they are definitely not showing up game 1. They also stated that they aren't doing factions that don't exist in 8th edition (as playable), which tosses out mini factions like Kislev.

Also first FLC race confirmed as end of 2016, doesn't mean we won't get a second DLC race after Chaos Warriors though.

Tuconots
    Yet another game with a release/DLC scheme that rewards me for holding off and waiting for a Steam sale and/or a GOTY edition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
    Haha. Hey Alex, since apparently you're reading this, at least my version of FoH stayed relevant until 2012. You managed to turn it into a 5th-rate guild within months of me moving on to EVE and ceasing my recruitment activities. You really showed us all how amazing you are when you invited the entire IRC channel to the WoW guild and let Ravvenn alienate everybody but her 5 friends in your absence.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by CyrusReij View Post
    Well considering they literally deleted Athel Loren and Skaven blight from the map (they are there but you cannot go in either area) they are definitely not showing up game 1.
    That is more indication, not less of those factions being early DLC factions as they are effectively saving their spot on the map. You can see it here at about 4:38ish Total War: WARHAMMER - Gameplay Stream - YouTube

Game 2 they will be figuring out how to stitch the trilogy together from a technical standpoint and there's two ways any sane person would do that.

A. Either they expand the Old World map east and south to get factions like Tomb Kings and Ogres out of the way while throwing in some of the factions that are essentially everywhere like Beastmen or Skaven as filler.

OR

B. They go straight west over the water and add in High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen and whoever they haven't yet.

My guess is A then B because the map geometry. Base game map is a square more or less and option A turns that into a big rectangle and B would finish it off as a huge rectangle. If they do B first the map will end up like a sideways L with a big empty space in the southeast corner which I don't think they have ever done in a TW game.

Of course they could just go and make me look like a fool and do an Empire TW style map where you flip through the parts of the world.

Tuconots
    I pretty much agree with south and east for game two, then they will go with Empire style to switch between two maps for New World and Old World. I also think they are going to put Ulthuan right off of the coast of the new world to compress the map, kind of like how they smashed Brettonia down.
    Last edited by CyrusReij; 04-17-2016 at 09:56 PM.

Thread Information