Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Crowfall - Open World PvP MMO

Tuconots

Crowfall - Open World PvP MMO

Last edited by Tuco; 02-24-2015 at 03:27 PM.

Tuconots
    interesting.. see what they come up. My guess is a game like Darkfall..
    If you're not getting positive nettz, you're not trying!

Tuconots
    I was reading about this on another forum.
    We'll see.

How often do we get more shitty games from past MMO devs?

Tuconots
    I think we will probably see a link to Kickstarter when that timer expires...

Tuconots
    hope that game does well. The forums are basically filled of people I recognize off of shadowbane.

Tuconots
    (((Draegan))) sold us out to MMORPG.com

Exodus underway to ReReRolled.org - A Gaming Community

Tuconots
    http://community.crowfall.com/index....ht-us-trammel/

interesting thread with some replies from the guy responsible for gutting UO and SWG, who happens to be working on this too.

Tuconots
    Raph Koster is working on this? No way.

Tuconots
    So the Salman Rushdie of MMOs is on this i.e. Gordon Walton

_42093952_kashmir-ap416.jpg

Yes, I'm the person who is responsible for bringing you Trammel and the dilution the original UO.

And I regret some (but not all) of the outcome. My charter as the VP of Online at Origin Systems (and Executive Producer of UO), was to grow the game. The unforgiving play environment that made UO so intense was clearly driving away between 70+% of all the new players that tried the game within 60 days. The changes we came up with to address this problem were a compromise, mostly driven by fiscal, technological and time reasons.

The good: After the change which broke the game space into PvP and PvE worlds, the player base and income nearly doubled (we went from 125k to 245k subs). So from a fiscal responsibility standpoint it was a totally winning move.

The bad: Without the "sheep to shear" the hard core PvP'ers were disenfranchised. They didn't like preying on each other (hard targets versus soft targets), and they became a smaller minority in the overall game. The real bad though was that the intensity and "realness" of the game for all players was diminished. This was the major unintended consequence.

Part of the context during that time was that UO2 was under development, and the plan that was being pushed on us was to shut down UO when UO2 launched (even though it was a completely different game). In fact, my second week at Origin I was asked for a shutdown plan for the game. (My answer: if you are serious I'm quitting today, because some of the players are going to kill (IRL) the people responsible for such a decision. They really didn't understand the emotional attachment UO players had for the game). This continued to be something talked about though continuously, but less after we grew the game. Remember that EA at that time was a packaged game company and they culturally only understood launching new products, not running live ones. Our Live team needed to keep UO vibrant and growing to offset those forces, so we were continuously scrambling for how to do that. I'm proud that UO survives to this day based partially on the momentum the team (and our loyal customers) created.

I also learned from my UO experience that it's really hard to change a brand. Inherent in the UO brand was the fact it was a gritty, hard core world of danger. We were not successful in bringing back the (literally)100's of thousands of players who had quit due to the unbridled PvP in the world (~5% of former customers came back to try the new UO, but very few of them stayed). We discovered that people didn't just quit UO, they divorced it in a very emotional way. But we did keep more of the new players that came in by a large margin, significantly more than than the PvP players we lost.

If I had the chance to do it again, (and we had different fiscal and time constraints), we would have done something more like keeping the current current worlds with the original ruleset (like we later did with the Seige Perilous shard, which was too late in my view), and make new shards with a more PvE ruleset.

One of the benefits of experience is the mistakes you've made along the way, and the pattern matching to avoid old mistakes. Of course this means that you get to make new and even more spectacular (but different) mistakes in the present!

I hope this gives you more insight into what happened the UO that you (and I) loved.

P.S. Please do remain skeptical, we don't expect anything on faith, but wait until we unveil our entire vision before passing final judgement!

and then

The shear intensity of UO (along with it being the first MMO for many people, and there is nothing like a first love of course) forged those human bonds in an extremely hot fire. My friend Jonathan Baron used to remind me even before I worked on UO that the human heart doesn't know the difference between virtual and real. Very strong human bonds are often created under adversity and stress, and that was the essence of the UO experience for many.

We actually did data mining which showed us that while the hardest core PvP'ers were sticky to the game they were a minority (very vocal, and very impactful to the game environment, but definitely a minority) to begin with, along with the merchants who were often not as engaged in PvP (more acting as arms merchants in a continuous war), with the majority of sticky players being almost exclusively PvE (i.e. only did PvP in defense or rarely). The problem was our conversion percentage of PvE players to long term subscribers was very low. Once Trammel came in the PvE players started converting to long term subscription at much higher rates (and there were way more of them). Anyone who made it 90 days was likely to last more than a year and often two years. Housing was the highest correlation with retention of course for all types of players.

I do believe there were better options that we could have pursued and I like your difficulty level analogy a lot. We did crank the intensity down low enough that an essential part of the soul of UO was lost, and I was sad about that even then. Hopefully we'll recapture some of that spirit in what we're working on now and it will resonate with a subset of MMO players who will find a home with what we offer.
    In reference to the Countdown:

By the time the countdown hits zero, we'll have presented you the full vision for Crowfall. You'll either love it, or hate it. We're hoping love! (please love?)

To set the expectation though, beta will NOT be going live at this time. We're a while away from this milestone - but we can't wait to get there!
    Last edited by Big Flex; 01-08-2015 at 05:58 PM.

Tuconots
    Well, if you say he worked on SWG and he worked on UO - looking at his position at EA and the timeline presented there he looks like the kind of guy who can take over projects - not necessarily the kind of guy who can start projects.

Two very, very different types of people.

Tuconots
    IDK if he he can or cannot start a project, but what I do know is upon taking projects over he brought Trammel into UO, he brought the NGE in SWG..

those two events are like the 9/11 of the MMO world.

never forget.

freedom isn't f2p.
    Last edited by Big Flex; 01-09-2015 at 06:48 AM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Flex View Post
    those two events are like the 9/11 of the MMO world.
    They were also two attempts at salvaging a game that was dying.

As he said, when he was called on UO, they were hemorrhaging people, they couldn't hold on new people. At that point, you can choose to let the game die or change stuff. The original plan was to let UO die because UO2, then it was "ok, how to we get UO numbers back up".

Same thing with SWG. SWG was already dying, or, rather, having failed to attain the potential its license had. When I started at Nevrax, we used to say that our competition would be SWG and its millions of subs. So, given the investment and licensing fees, you either pull the plug, or try to salvage stuff.

In both cases, from the player's perspective, maybe it would have been better to let the game die and pull the plug. But from a company's perspective, it's hard to admit you've failed.

Tuconots
    Thats like saying 9/11 happened cause of global warming and fuel consumption. And they decided to make the airlines globally take a break for like a week.

BS is BS no matter if you try to paint it pink. Sure hindsight is 20 20 but man up and accept your fails or be doomed to fail again.
    Quote Originally Posted by tad10 View Post
    Nah. Khalid and Merkins are screwed and Araysar is getting a new Avatar. As I said, I learned my lesson from the Tuco bet. Don't bet unless you already know the outcome. ...

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyvim View Post
    or be doomed to fail again.
    And now, I can't read the title without seeing "CrowfaIL"...

Transform, and roll out! Bruman's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Thats like saying 9/11 happened cause of global warming and fuel consumption. And they decided to make the airlines globally take a break for like a week.

BS is BS no matter if you try to paint it pink. Sure hindsight is 20 20 but man up and accept your fails or be doomed to fail again.
    Are you saying the UO change was a fail? Because it pretty obviously wasn't. Many more people enjoyed the game than after. The game was dead without the change, due to the finicky nature of the majority PVPers, that he even talked about (they want "sheep" to prey upon, not real fights).

NGE, if he's responsible for that, then yeah, that was a huge disaster. But SWG was doomed before NGE anyways. But unlike UO, who had a hail mary that worked, NGE just made it worse.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruman View Post
    Are you saying the UO change was a fail? Because it pretty obviously wasn't. Many more people enjoyed the game than after. The game was dead without the change, due to the finicky nature of the majority PVPers, that he even talked about (they want "sheep" to prey upon, not real fights).

NGE, if he's responsible for that, then yeah, that was a huge disaster. But SWG was doomed before NGE anyways. But unlike UO, who had a hail mary that worked, NGE just made it worse.
    No, he agrees with them, and so do I (technically) as it expanded the lifespan of the title, with that said I personally disliked them because it changed the entire dynamic with an emphasis on the aspects of the game I personally enjoyed most. Sure, it "saved" the game, but it was never the same. The NGE, however, is another story entirely.
    Last edited by Big Flex; 01-13-2015 at 06:00 AM.

Tuconots
    No, he agrees with them, and so do I (technically) as it expanded the lifespan of the title, with that said I personally disliked them because it changed the entire dynamic with an emphasis on the aspects of the game I personally enjoyed most. Sure, it "saved" the game, but it was never the same. The NGE, however, is another story entirely.
    Thus the conclusion: "changing a game mid-way is really hard".

Tuconots
    Looks like we have a large variety of classes.
    Crowfall_CharacterCreate_preview.jpg
    Notice we have archetypes on the left and in the upper right we have "promotion classes".

Also looks like we'll be seeing some large scale PvP.
    Crowfall_CitySiegeConcept.jpg

Tuconots
    Class: Albino Deer Man

also the art style is very Landmark/EQN

I wonder what "Warmth Conversion" does

Tuconots
    Looks like they might be taking the MOBA class direction.

Tuconots
    Someone just make it easy and tell me if it has a cash shop so I can forget about it entirely.

Tuconots
    All games have cash shops these days. Welcome to 4 years ago.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Draegan View Post
    All games have cash shops these days. Welcome to 4 years ago.
    I seriously doubt ALL games do- but regardless, it's not unreasonable to think that someone might make a game without a cash shop. Unlikely, I'll grant you, but not impossible.

Tuconots
    What's wrong with cash shops. If its a shitty pay to win cash shop you know that devs are shit so you don't have to buy the game. But the presence of a cash shop doesn't mean anything in of itself.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Arden View Post
    I seriously doubt ALL games do- but regardless, it's not unreasonable to think that someone might make a game without a cash shop. Unlikely, I'll grant you, but not impossible.
    I dunno, I'd say it's very much bordering on "never in a million years" to see a MMO (that actually gets released) these days that doesn't have a cash shop.

Tuconots
    Why is it cash shop anyway? Nobody uses cash on it so it should get called card shop, shouldnt it?

seinfeld_rock.jpg
    Last edited by Dyvim; 01-13-2015 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Pic
    Quote Originally Posted by tad10 View Post
    Nah. Khalid and Merkins are screwed and Araysar is getting a new Avatar. As I said, I learned my lesson from the Tuco bet. Don't bet unless you already know the outcome. ...

Tuconots
    Your DVD drive doesn't take 1s and 5s?

Tuconots
    Why is it cash shop anyway? Nobody uses cash on it so it should get called card shop, shouldnt it?

seinfeld_rock.jpg
    Why is the game called Crowfall? There's no crows in it, and if there was, they'd fly!

Tuconots
    double post

Tuconots
    I dunno, I'd say it's very much bordering on "never in a million years" to see a MMO (that actually gets released) these days that doesn't have a cash shop.
    Maybe you're right. I hope not, though.

The dislike for cash shop games is a preference, like any other preference. You could argue all day about whether mmos are better with or without cash shops- just like you could argue all day about whether blondes are better than redheads. In the end it's just personal preference.

(It's blondes by the way)

Tuconots
    MOBA class direction.
    do. not. want.

Quote Originally Posted by Arden View Post
    cash shop
    do. not. want.

Registered User Astral Projection's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Walton
    Without the "sheep to shear" the hard core PvP'ers were disenfranchised. They didn't like preying on each other (hard targets versus soft targets)
    So basically he is calling them pussies.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Walton
    We know how to build MMOs
    Ever wonder why they call it an 'MMO'. Do you ever say "hey guys, check out this Massively Multiplayer Online". Massively multiplayer online ... what? Game? Shouldn't the acronym be 'MMOG'? And isn't the 'online' superfluous, I mean, if there's 1000 players in the same game, I think we can safely assume it isn't 1000 player local coop or splitscreen. How about just 'MMG'?

Last edited by Astral Projection; 01-15-2015 at 02:32 AM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Astral Projection View Post
    Ever wonder why they call it an 'MMO'. Do you ever say "hey guys, check out this Massively Multiplayer Online". Massively multiplayer online ... what? Game? Shouldn't the acronym be 'MMOG'? And isn't the 'online' superfluous, I mean, if there's 1000 players in the same game, I think we can safely assume it isn't 1000 player local coop or splitscreen. How about just 'MMG'?
    Uh, feel like you're reading too much into it, heh. It's MMORPG, with RPG being a known term before the invention of MMORPG, and it eventually got dropped because people were tired of saying MMORPG. There hasn't been any other MMO[something else] acronym that gained traction, so every knows it implies MMORPG (unless they explicitly state so, like MMORTS or some shit).

So basically - laziness.

Tuconots
    Why do I have the feeling this will be the game that EQN only hopes to be?

Another drop today 01/15/15 - Templars and a Cryptic Tree? - News & Announcements - Crowfall
    Last edited by Rogosh; 01-15-2015 at 06:19 PM.
    "It's better to look ugly and win, than pretty and lose."

Tuconots
    If it's basically EQN ripoff (with 1/8th the budget) with a Shadowbane influence instead of a Minecraft influence I'll fuck with it

Tuconots
    Two vaporware games ripping each other off?

Tuconots
    Two vaporware games ripping each other off?
    I'd watch that porno

Tuconots
    Vapornware

Tuconots
    Tree looks like a pantheon.. evil gods on the right, good on the left...

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by sakkath View Post
    Tree looks like a pantheon.. evil gods on the right, good on the left...
    Either that or its some kind of weird in game path progression. I hope you are right though, it has been ages since a game has had deities in it that mattered.
    Last edited by Rogosh; 01-15-2015 at 10:01 PM.

Tuconots
    The game will be have potential just because the lead dev says shit like this

grief.png

This ain't your mother's Ponytail dev.

Tuconots
    lolwut

Permanent deletion of your character with an item. I can see this going places.

Tuconots
    Permadeath can be a lot of fun if the system is done correctly. It doesn't work where character progression involves many many hours of grinding stupid stuff or getting extremely rare items.

Minecraft has permadeath, and noone cares, but you can get back to decent gear easily (faster with friends) and exp levels have a completely different meaning there. Then of course there's a billion roguelikes with it.

I'd love to see an MMO that had permadeath that work. That'd mean the game wasn't full of stupid grinding.

Tuconots
    I can agree with that. Anything can be fun as long as it's done in the appropriate context.

This one is not.

Tuconots
    Didn't lineage have something like that where you got a 1 of a kind weapon off a dragon boss or some shit and if you died it dropped on the ground?

#seenitbefore

Tuconots
    Permadeath can be a lot of fun if the system is done correctly. It doesn't work where character progression involves many many hours of grinding stupid stuff or getting extremely rare items.

Minecraft has permadeath, and noone cares, but you can get back to decent gear easily (faster with friends) and exp levels have a completely different meaning there. Then of course there's a billion roguelikes with it.

I'd love to see an MMO that had permadeath that work. That'd mean the game wasn't full of stupid grinding.
    If leveling is instant, or so easy a bot can do it in a few hours, and gear is so easy to acquire it is practically worthless, then permadeath means nothing. Which, just in case you didn't realise makes your "mmo that had permadeath that works -- and not full of grinding" a contradiction.

I use to see this kind of thought from client while I was a designer, they'd ask for shit that couldn't possibly work together and expect it to be awesome. You'd put something together that did satisfy the criteria but the client then didn't like what they saw and blamed the designer on not executing the brief correctly.

You should feel bad for talking about permadeath and in the same fucking paragraph remove all impetus of actually dying and losing all that work.
    Warframe -- NightmareSabbat

Tuconots
    Well, as seen in the SS above, the permadeath weapon was supposed to be in Shadowbane, I don't think Crowfall will feature Permadeath

Tuconots
    Levelling and getting gear in shadowbane was fairly trivial compared to basically any other MMO so it would have been ok in that game IMO.

Tuconots
    The EQ permadeath server was pretty fun until you had a bunch of level 29 mages just camping the entrance to newbie zones.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Zehn - Vhex View Post
    The EQ permadeath server was pretty fun until you had a bunch of level 29 mages just camping the entrance to newbie zones.
    All of the zeks
    Discord server
    Project m

God damn old eq was so good. Fuck.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabbat View Post
    If leveling is instant, or so easy a bot can do it in a few hours, and gear is so easy to acquire it is practically worthless, then permadeath means nothing. Which, just in case you didn't realise makes your "mmo that had permadeath that works -- and not full of grinding" a contradiction.

I use to see this kind of thought from client while I was a designer, they'd ask for shit that couldn't possibly work together and expect it to be awesome. You'd put something together that did satisfy the criteria but the client then didn't like what they saw and blamed the designer on not executing the brief correctly.

You should feel bad for talking about permadeath and in the same fucking paragraph remove all impetus of actually dying and losing all that work.
    Psst, it's possible to make a video game, in a fantasy setting, that isn't solely about making numbers go up as a direct correlation to time spent.

You should feel bad for calling a video game work :P.

Tuconots
    mmorpg.com

crowfall.png

Tuconots
    Explain this magical game system that proposes that no numbers go up in correlation to time spent. Also, explain how this system is fun, and why losing it would also be fun. Fantasy, Sci-Fi or any other world system is open, it shouldn't be limited to a single field. Spend some time on it, don't just rush here with the first idea that pops into your head, actually work through the challenges that the system would pose and solve them.

If you actively remove all forms of gain, so that you mitigate loss, then loss becomes meaningless. For reference, see any FPS game ever made.
    Warframe -- NightmareSabbat

Tuconots
    MMO world populated by relatively fixed MOBA characters, gains to be made in terms of materials to support persistent territory would be my guess

Tuconots
    There's plenty of good (great in fact) games that don't have any form of "number increasing" but they're all single player.

Tuconots
    mmorpg.com

crowfall.png

Pantheon topped that list once, too, lol.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by gogojira View Post
    those were the days

Tuconots
    Tell me about it. I'm nostalgic about the nostalgia fueling my hype.

Tuconots
    Open pvp tho

pvpquote.png

Tuconots
    Character art kinda reminded me of Cooernicus which isn't really a bad thing. At least there's no crazy guy with a bloody sock leading the charge.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by gogojira View Post
    Speaking of games in development (and I know it has since been cancelled), I really wish Mythic had released Imperator. That game sounded like it had so much potential.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodleface View Post
    GOD I AM SUCH A FAG

Tuconots
    another survival game? "hunger resistance" stat?
    Last edited by ili; 01-19-2015 at 09:38 AM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by ili View Post
    another survival game? "hunger resistance" stat?
    yup.

shadowbane+day z pls.

Tuconots
    Savage lands did it, but i don't think its a mmorpg.

Tuconots
    CF was supposed to be revealed at Pax South but they've added 30 days until their reveal

We thought we'd ready to show something there but we won't unfortunately!

There will be Crowfall buttons there (while they last) if you want some memorabilia though!
    At least they're honest about this shit
    Last edited by Big Flex; 01-19-2015 at 11:44 AM.

Tuconots
    Seeing those numbers on the charactersheet makes me wish for a return to Ultimas 700% to distribute across skills. It allowed some intresting combos regarding skills and you could try out stuff.

Tuconots
    I wish the reveal in a month or so was this was ready for full beta testing.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    So how close is this game? Right now all I care about are EQN, Shroud of the Avatar, and Albion Online. Don't know if I should add this to the line up.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Sithro View Post
    So how close is this game? Right now all I care about are EQN, Shroud of the Avatar, and Albion Online. Don't know if I should add this to the line up.
    No idea. I think its worth tracking though, has some good characteristics from Shadowbane, some modern MOBA ideas infused in it, so who knows, could be good.

Tuconots
    Looks good if you ask me

Tuconots
    "This isn't a guild org chart," Crowfall's J. Todd Coleman cautions. "We support guilds (and guild structures) but we've laid a different system on top of that, which ties player fealty directly to land ownership. More on that system, and how it ties to siege conquest, will be coming soon."

Tuconots
    If I can stage a revolt and overthrow the king, I'm all in.
    Take my money already.

Tuconots
    Game hasn't even started it's crowd funding campaign yet so is still years away from launch. This is the perfect time to get the hype train started!

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by sakkath View Post
    Game hasn't even started it's crowd funding campaign yet so is still years away from launch. This is the perfect time to get the hype train started!
    they had private investors 2 years ago

Tuconots
    they had private investors 2 years ago
    Then why do they suddenly need crowd funding?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Sithro View Post
    Then why do they suddenly need crowd funding?
    Have they said they need crowdfunding?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcaus View Post
    Have they said they need crowdfunding?
    no, not yet anyway

Tuconots
    Hrm, well I guess that's a good sign.

Tuconots
    If the current marketing campaign isnt the prelude to a kickstarter I'll be very surprised.

Tuconots
    text update today

01/21/15 - Team Update - News & Announcements - Crowfall

tl;dr version

Our entire core team has been in place for ~6 months working on Crowfall, though some of us were working on it earlier than that. We currently have 17 full time people in the office plus several offsite resources.

[...]

We also licensed some technology to give ourselves a jump start on the project -- we'll talk more about those decisions, later

[...]

Starting tomorrow, we'll be ramping up the details that we are giving with each drop. Stay tuned -- it's going to get much more interesting from this point, forward.
    Take that, Pantheon. So what tech did they license? Unity? Unreal?
    Last edited by Big Flex; 01-22-2015 at 07:05 AM.

Tuconots
    Well I know my brother is gonna be very interested in Shadowbane 2. I still want a fantasy variant of EVE in regards to economy, travel, and territory control, but I doubt they'll take many cues from EVE.
    Quote Originally Posted by brekk View Post
    In all reality I take pride in peoples surprise that I have mod powers at all.

Tuconots
    text update today

01/21/15 - Team Update - News & Announcements - Crowfall

tl;dr version

Take that, Pantheon. So what tech did they license? Unity? Unreal?
    Hero Engine!?

Tuconots
    Interview with the developer of the crafting system: mmorpg

Tuconots
    Comment section amused me more than it should.

nerovipus32 writes:
    They always say the right things pre-release don't they

Rusque writes:
    Sometimes, they say the right things before a game even exists! *cough* EQN *cough*

Tuconots
    Info about servers crowfall

Tuconots

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by arallu View Post
    RIP Crowfall

Tuconots
    Ultima Online and SWG both had good crafting systems and economies so if that's all he contributes then it should be good.

Tuconots
    A lot of shit today, 01/22/15 - The Crowfall Universe, Economy/crafting - News & Announcements - Crowfall

CF had articles and interviews on mmorpg.com and massively, etc

Raph Koster is collaborating on Crowfall [Updated with video] | Massively

Crowfall | Building Upon Star Wars Galaxies' Crafting | MMORPG

Crowfall - Raph Koster Introduction - YouTube

Dead people having to regear. A couple suggestions of full loot death like UO in a few places. DUNMAR! DUNMAR!!

Intradasting

Spoiler: 

Servers have their own geography
    Last edited by Big Flex; 01-22-2015 at 07:27 PM.

Tuconots
    Game is looking really good on paper, here is to hoping they deliver.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogosh View Post
    Game is looking really good on paper, here is to hoping they deliver.
    No one delivers. If they get even half the shit right that they are talking about it will be a good game though.

Tuconots
    No one delivers. If they get even half the shit right that they are talking about it will be a good game though.
    Exactly.

Tuconots
    This.

Tuconots
    Yes, even half will make it a great game. Having large randomized land masses (Even if they are somewhat generic) with randomized resources, could allow them to add land as players cement control, always shaking up who owns the best what. (New world spawned with tons of Iron--Iron is super rare in X and Y kingdoms on other worlds--big fight breaks out for control from vassals. Or they do a kind of "Bounty system" where the king of one land offers X support in return for Knights in Y new land to pledge fealty--it would be epic.) The real crux will be weather they can do the random generation correctly (Like a super version of EQLandmark minecraft) , and make systems that really exploit the need for that new world, and allow players to form relationships based on those needs (Excited for the fealty system if they use it for this). But a big thing will be is if they will be able to build servers which can handle this kind of arching, randomized structure.

Combine the random, expansive content though with item loss for turn over? And perhaps adding new adding newer and stronger alloys, which require more and more base metal. Which could force a kind of generational turn over that you see in real economies. And you could actually have a set of worlds where there is a constant need to explore and fight over territory. Anyway, as others have said--all this stuff sounds great, but it's easy to sound great. If they can even pull off a mediocre, watered down version of the above? I'll be super fucking happy.

Also, I love Ralph Koster as a designer. He's a terrible project leader, but he's got amazing ideas and insights into MMOs. Some of the shit he envisioned for MMO's was so far ahead of it's time, and that was his biggest flaw. He never knew when to cut up the dreams and work them into a usable (As per the technology limitations) reality. I mean, if you look at SWG, everyone says the main problem was not the concept--the concept was incredible. It was the execution. Even after release Koster continued to try and flesh out and expand systems, rather than fixing what he had and consolidating/refining; his problem is he needs someone to reign him in. But if he's in a role now where all he does is design, offer ideas and consult--and someone else can cut or use as needed/desires? That's perfect.
    Last edited by Lithose; 01-22-2015 at 09:27 PM.

Tuconots
    When is the kickstarter??

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Convo View Post
    When is the kickstarter??
    It hasn't been said if there will be a KS yet, but I assume there will be.

I know they've received somewhere around 2.5 Million from a private investor 1.5-2 years ago, perhaps more in tandem or since from other investors, we know that the character creation screens are actual screen shots and not mockups. Likewise, they've already allowed for at least 5 waves of beta sign-ups (I'm in Beta group 1, my brother is in 5 and he signed up a few days ago) so they couldn't really offer beta slots as a kickstarter donation item, maybe alpha access will be offered? Its weird to see a game give away beta slots prior to possibly running a crowdfunding campaign which could leverage them for donations. So, theres that.

Currently, there is a 32 days left on a countdown timer on the main splash page of the crowfall website,

Crowfall

so if there is one it'd be announced then I'd assume.

Also, for anyone interest heres a devtracker for their forums. Developer Post Tracker - Devtracker | Crows Call
    Last edited by Big Flex; 01-22-2015 at 09:37 PM.

MAKE EARTH EXTINCT AGAIN! Abefroman's Avatar
    Tuconots
    So this has released more information in this short amount of time then Pantheon has in over a year. I'm sure they will do a kickstarter and I will probably donate to it. I appreciate people actually doing some fucking work to try and get my money instead of playing on feels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodleface
    Marriage is the best, I love having sex with my husband and giving him BJ's when I'm on my period

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Agraza View Post
    Well I know my brother is gonna be very interested in Shadowbane 2. I still want a fantasy variant of EVE in regards to economy, travel, and territory control, but I doubt they'll take many cues from EVE.
    eve.png

/shrug

Tuconots
    I'm about to board the hype train, but let the minutes show that I did so with great reluctance.

Thread Information