Mine has gotta be "Holiday Road" from the Vacation movies. Hearing that song always perks me up.
Last edited by joz123; 12-28-2014 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Added youtube clip.
"Extreme Ways" from the Bourne movies immediately comes to mind. Not really a big fan of Moby in general, but that's the only movie series I can think of that I sit through the credits no matter how many times I watch it.
Basically the entire soundtrack from Drive, if that counts...
an understated ensemble that puts the "b" in subtle
Last Action Hero was a good fucking movie.
purple rain wins the soundtrack war
Last edited by Royal; 12-29-2014 at 12:13 AM.
My wife shows my daughter a bunch of the Ghibli Studios animated movies, and she loves My Neighbor Totoro.
As a result, I always hear the theme song to that movie. It's stuck in my head. I whistle it at work and shit.
EDIT: Actually, when I found this video on youtube, she heard it and said "Toto!" (that's how she says Totoro) and sat on my lap to listen to it.
Kids are adorable like that.
Last edited by Xarpolis; 12-29-2014 at 12:33 AM.
Japanese B movies from the 50s to the 70s almost always had theme songs made for the movie and sometime sung by a cast member. An example of that would be the theme song for Female Convict Scorpion used by Tarentino in Kill Bill and sung by lead actress Meiko Kaji.
My personal favorite would be the theme song for Seijun Suzuki's gangster pop extravaganza Tokyo Drifter:
Branded to Kill
A better Tomorrow <--- '80s canto pop alert.
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla Akira Ifukube might rule the Godzilla serie with his iconic score, but Masaru Sato does it with his songs!
*edit* My favorite song from a movie is probably:
Archers Danger Zone - YouTube
The Last Samurai has a pretty good soundtrack.
I don't know if this counts as a theme song, but it's my favorite.
That said, Purple Rain is still the better soundtrack. The soundtrack and the album were not one and the same, which people often forget.
Conan the Barbarian is clearly the best original score ever.
Last Action Hero is the best soundtrack.
A notable favorite of mine (predictably), however, is
Tell me the hairs don't raise on the back of your neck when you hear the beginning to this.
This one right here. Skip to like 1:20 to get to the awesome.
The Crow had a great soundtrack.
I'd forgotten how awesome Conan's music was.
Just going to choose the main themes:
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
There are many other songs in these movies and in other movies (aliens battle song f.e.) but like i said i chose the main themes.
Last edited by ohkcrlho; 12-29-2014 at 01:02 PM.
A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping over the Earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust... retaliation.
Hollywood is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until everything you love is dead.
Best Bond theme song. Certainly not the best Bond movie though.
Movie has great soundtrack in general.
Most of my first choices were already listed, by here's a few that I bothered to download the tracks for:
Last edited by ShakyJake; 12-29-2014 at 03:33 PM.
I am disappointed in you all. How could you miss the best song ever?
Battle theme from Gladiator always tickled my jimmies:
Conan first 3 tracks, performed live: (8 mins in ftw)
Star Wars Emperor theme would go great with a rape-dungeon or evil volcano lair.
Came here to post Conan, glad to see I was beaten to it.
Battle of the Mounds is the best track though.
Words are wind, motherfucker
I can't believe I get to win the thread on page 3.
Some of the great ones listed so far.
And here's this one:
Just a straight forward song, but it's so perfect in that it is a musical expression of the Dude character. Chilled out music and what the lyrics are saying.
Fuuuuuuck. Almost forgot about this until last night.
Really everything Hans Zimmer touches though.
Probably my favorite one right here.
A lot of solid choices in this thread.
For me the best original scores go like this:
- 1. Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Ring. Seriously, the score makes this movie so much more awesome than if it was something lame. The fellowship walking through terrain becomes awesome just because of the score.
- 2. Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back. Almost perfect in every respect. Plus, the Imperial March.
- 3. Conan the Barbarian. I had forgotten about this, but the whole thing really is pretty great. Pretty much every section is full of awesome.
- 4. Jaws. Not just the famous 2 note theme, but the entire thing is really well done.
- 5. The Last of the Mohicans. The last few minutes of the movie especially, is just music with no dialogue. The opening theme and then the elk hunt is also awesome. (I may be biased with the elk hunt theme, since it was used for the Forgotten Hope mod of Battlefield 1942 and I played the shit out of that.)
- 6. The Dark Knight. Hans Zimmer is awesome, and IMO the best movie composer since John Williams. The Joker's theme in this perfectly captures the essence of the character.
- 7. Inception. Dream is Collapsing is phenomenal, plus the way he integrates the entire score with a slowed down song is truly inspired. This is another example of a movie not working nearly as well without the score.
- 8. Raiders of the Lost Ark. The Indiana Jones march, the theme of the ark of the covenant, I don't need to go on.
- 9. Terminator 2. The main theme, the T1000 theme, all of it is great.
- 10. The Good, the Bad and The Ugly. The main theme, and the ecstasy of gold.
Honorable Mention: Tron Legacy, not a good movie, but a great soundtrack. V for Vendetta, Evey reborn specifically. Fight Club, everything is well done. The Silence of the Lambs, nothing very showy, but really captures the mood of that movie. Star Trek 2: Wrath of Khan, lots of good stuff in this one. Heat, especially the song that plays when Pacino is chasing down DeNiro right before they have a cup of coffee.
Many good choices. One of my favorites not mentioned
Last edited by The Edge; 01-03-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Dunno if it's really considered a movie but i fell in love with the OST of Koyaanisqatsi. The music is from philip Glass :
Interstellar soundtrack felt a lot like it.
My number one right here :
Not sure if this one counts or not :
Always liked Avalon score
Oh, and Ameli, but it something more than just soundtrack I would say.
man this is an awesome thread.... so many themes i forgot about, love the superman one obviously...
and from TV, i always thought of this one when i use to play EQ...
and let's not forget this one that we can all pretty much play on keyboard
Last edited by Terial; 01-06-2015 at 01:10 PM.
I must find the clip of the midget playing it on a lute...
okay found it
All my favs pretty much covered already. Here's another one that I love. It's just too damn short.
i catch myself whistling this song more than i probably should, but i really like it. I keep hearing it in other movies now as well.
Clockwork Orange, Blade Runner or Repo Man
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)