Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Laptop Computers

Tuconots

Laptop Computers

Laptop discussion.

Tuconots
    Lenovo Y480/400 and Y580/500 for general purpose mid-range gaming in sleek packages.

Lenovo G and Z series for non-gamers as basic laptops.

Asus G53 and G73 series for high-end gaming machines.

Anything I missed?

Tuconots
    Does anyone seriously do all of their PC gaming on a laptop? What the fuck.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwinks View Post
    Yes. 2 of them, even.

Tuconots
    High end laptops are fine for gaming now, its a hell of a lot better than being stuck in an office. Its also not just for gaming, they're desktop replacements so if your like me and have tons of programs open like converting movies, gaming, downloading, editing all at once, its great

And its the G75 now brekk
    Last edited by Homsar; 12-08-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Tuconots
    The G75 is a sweet rig. Bought one when my Alienware was dead and I wasn't sure if Dell would fix it. They did, so I took the Asus back.

I have an Alienware M17x R2 / M11x R3 myself. Yes, I know I overspent... but the thing is, the M17x R2 is 3+ years old and still running pretty much everything at Ultra. The M11x was a gamble and it's more for travelling / whatever, but still capable of gaming.

Tuconots
    I have a M17X R3....first time I have ever bought a laptop instead of built a desktop. Love it.
    Draegan sold us out to MMORPG.com

Exodus underway to ReReRolled.org - A Gaming Community

Tuconots
    Had any overheating issues with yours? My R1 overheated and blew the gfx cards, and my R2 just did the same thing (had to extend the warranty and get Dell to replace them). I think they did away with Crossfire/SLI support in the R3/R4, right?

Rape Culture Enthusiast Dr. Mario Speedwagon's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Yes. It's great. Asus makes an amazing product.

Tuconots
    I have the M18x with the 6990m x2, no heat issues. Yes, it's overkill, but nice to run BF3 on ultra on a somewhat mobile platform.

Tuconots
    I don't see the logic behind spending 3 grand on a laptop to get the performance of a $1000 desktop. Not to mention gaming laptops aren't super portable anyways, they chew through battery life like mad and are usually pretty damn big/heavy.

Hell for 3 grand, I rather have a gaming desktop, laptop/ultrabook for travel, and a tablet. And you still are probably less than a high-end gaming laptop in price.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboo View Post
    I don't see the logic behind spending 3 grand on a laptop to get the performance of a $1000 desktop. Not to mention gaming laptops aren't super portable anyways, they chew through battery life like mad and are usually pretty damn big/heavy.

Hell for 3 grand, I rather have a gaming desktop, laptop/ultrabook for travel, and a tablet. And you still are probably less than a high-end gaming laptop in price.
    Where are you getting 3 grand? G75 is $1200 and gets you

i7-3630QM processor
    8GB DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M
    1TB HD
    17.3" LED-backlit TFT-LCD high-definition widescreen display
    Incredible cooling
    Last edited by Homsar; 12-11-2012 at 01:29 AM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Homsar View Post
    Where are you getting 3 grand? G75 is $1200
    Probably from us Alienware folks. 3 grand is easy enough to do for an M17x/M18x.

The G75 is really well-priced, though. If I hadn't been able to fix my M17x R2 for $250, I'd have gone with the G75VW.

Tuconots
    Yeah, I've pretty much gone from my old M1730 to a M17xR1 to my M18x via the one thing Dell does right - the complete care warranty. Had heat issues with previous iterations that pretty much forced them to upgrade me under warranty - though I paid extra this last time for upgrades.

Statistically Significant khanable's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Anyone have any recommendations on laptop/keyboard cleaning products? Yes I know, LOLOL JIZZ CUM HAHA etc, but for real -- finger oils, what is the go-to product?

Tuconots
    Just bought a Sony Vaio T13 ultrabook - enjoying it a lot.

Was really skeptical on the whole touch screen laptop concept before I got to play with a bunch of them at work. Now I find myself using it a decent amount (particularly with Win8).

Not a powerful ultrabook by any stretch - i5, 6gb ram, hybrid HD/SSD, no graphics card, no dvd drive. But nice, lightweight, good keyboard, decent enough trackpad (although with external trackball and touch screen I don't really need it). Really good little machine. Going to upgrade to 8gb of ram from my older laptop (1 year old, same ram type). Might do 16gb since laptop ram prices plummeted yet again it seems.

Haven't tried to play any games on it yet, other than the basics of solitaire and mahjong. Mainly just an email/web browsing/smartglass laptop. Soon enough will get my Surface and then not sure what the hell I'll really use it for, but I wanted a new touch laptop after playing with them a lot.

Tuconots
    Has anyone used one of the Google Chromebooks? The lady wants a laptop but she doesn't do anything but check email/surf. I'm debating on a tablet of some sort, but the chromebook looks kinda nice.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergraven View Post
    Has anyone used one of the Google Chromebooks? The lady wants a laptop but she doesn't do anything but check email/surf. I'm debating on a tablet of some sort, but the chromebook looks kinda nice.
    You are limited to whatever apps Google has on offer. If you do go Chromebook, grab the $250 Samsung; avoid the Acer and the $450 Samsung. I'd recommend really thinking about an iPad or one of the many good Android tabs available out there, like the Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9 for $299.

Tuconots
    Chromebook is basically a bulkier android tablet with a keyboard instead of a touchscreen. Decide if that is something that sounds appealing to you or not.

(Yeah I know it doesn't actually run the android OS, but the comparison is valid regardless)

Tuconots
    You can't load apps on it like you can with a regular Android device. In that manner, I'd think it'd be really easy to outgrow very quickly versus a tab running some flavor of Android.

Tuconots
    Well, the Chrome OS does have apps, just nothing that compares to the number of apps available for Android.

Tuconots
    Thanks for the replies. I guess the apps loading was the question i never asked but wanted to. Kind of dumb to not allow loading apps on the Chromebook. That alone will lead me to get a tablet instead. I had an Ipad/Ipad 2 from my last job and enjoyed those, was just curious if a Chromebook was worth having.

edit - i knew it would do stuff like youtube, netflix and other popular apps, but I was thinking it would have access to the whole android market.

Tuconots

I got my asus g73 for $800 bro. I've yet to find a game it can't play at great quality.

Tuconots
    The one thing that actually helps laptops in gaming are their general low resolution screens. Most sub-$1000 17" gaming laptops laptops are only going to have a 1600x900 resolution, a decent dedicated graphics card is going to perform decently at that resolution for sure. Now, get a high-end gaming laptop with a 1920x1080 17.3" screen and you're going to need some serious beef to run games smoothly, I can't see anything under 2 grand performing that well.

I still even have doubts that a 1.7ghz i7 and a radeon mibility 5870 are running games like Far Cry 3 on the highest settings, even at 1600x900

All that being said though, thats still a damn nice laptop for $800, you must have found a hell of a sale, they're still $1200+ at most places online.

I guess my overall point was, it seems silly to me to spend 2-3x as much for equivalent gaming power in a laptop as opposed to a desktop. Is anyone doing a significant amount of hardcore gaming on the bus or train or at school? I bet 90% of the time the gaming is done at home. Why not get a $500 PC that is more powerful than that $1200 laptop? Hell, if nothing else, gaming on a laptop screen is kinda crap. I haven't used a monitor as small as 17" in about 15 years.

But, I don't want to argue the merits of a gaming laptop in the laptop thread, I'm sure they have their place and purpose, I just have trouble seeing the advantages of it in all but the most extreme cases like someone who travels constantly with their job.

Tuconots
    Like I said, they'r desktop replacements and the G75 will play and run anything out there and it only $1200 and has an I7 that you can turbo boost to 3.3
    Last edited by Homsar; 12-13-2012 at 04:28 AM.

Tuconots
    I like to be able to move around the house with my computer. It's pretty simple really. Not to mention I do most of my gaming on it by hooking up an hdmi cable to my TV. I have no need for a desktop and really can't see myself ever going back to using one.

Tuconots
    Pretty much that, only reason I've used my desktop was because the screen went out on my laptop. I cant stand sitting in my damn office

Tuconots
    I do the majority of my gaming on my desktop, which is great, but I'm at school a ton and visit friends/family and it's nice being able to run multiplayer shit on my laptop. At this point mine is getting a little long in the tooth for that so am considering upgrading and handing this one down to my wife (it's an HP pavilion 1270 I got 3+ years ago for like $1000). Having not even remotely kept up with the laptop field, this thread is already great, gave me several reasonable laptops to ponder over.

Even though I used my laptop a TON for school this last semester, I plan on getting a Surface pro for homework/work and focusing the laptop on gaming where life takes me.

Tuconots
    I bought an MSI laptop last spring. It was $1,450 with a 50 dollar mail in rebate. It has i7-2670QM, Nvidia 570M, 17.3" matte screen and default 1960xWhatever resolution, 12 GB ram. It runs most games on high very well. I love it, especially because I travel a lot for work and it is a full gaming machine I can fit in a backpack.

Tuconots
    Anyone have any experience with the Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13?

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/la.../yoga/yoga-13/

Tuconots
    Haven't looked into laptops in like.. forever, so I don't know what is good now (in terms of processor/gpu).. but can anyone recommend a laptop in the $300 range (maybe up to $350) that could run League of Legends at a good framerate on maybe medium settings? I know it can be done, as I've borrowed my mom's laptop that she got for $300ish a year ago and played it at 30+FPS on low settings, and she doesn't even have a real video card on it.

She's offered to buy me a laptop for christmas and that's what her stated budget is ($300).. but if an extra 40-50 bucks will drastically improve the performance, I'll throw in some money myself.

Other than League, I'll just be doing some ebay/business stuff, which shouldn't be hard for it to handle. I just have shitty internet at home, and have been playing at a friend's house or on wifi at a cafe/bar.

oh, and I'm ok with refurbished computers and such. I did a little research myself, but all the refurbished ones in that range didn't seem to have a dedicated graphics card.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by enzie View Post
    Haven't looked into laptops in like.. forever, so I don't know what is good now (in terms of processor/gpu).. but can anyone recommend a laptop in the $300 range (maybe up to $350) that could run League of Legends at a good framerate on maybe medium settings? I know it can be done, as I've borrowed my mom's laptop that she got for $300ish a year ago and played it at 30+FPS on low settings, and she doesn't even have a real video card on it.
    Look for anything based around an intel i3 or i5 processor with Intel HD3000 integrated graphics. I would recommend the better Intel HD4000 graphics which comes with the newer ivy bridge processors, but I'm not sure you'd be able to find a 4000 and stay close to $300

Basically, the older HD3000 graphics are going to be any Intel i3/i5 2nd gen processor, denoted by the processor type starting with a 2. Like an i3 2350 or i5 2450. The newer 4000 graphics set is on the 3rd gen processors that all start with a 3 in numbering like i3 3110 or i5 3210.

I dont see anything on Newegg with a 4000 graphics chip for under $500, even refurb.

Something refurbished like this would probably do what you are asking in your price range:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834230814

Tuconots
    If you find a way to add on a bit more money, here's one that will do a fair bit better for not too much more: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834230873

Tuconots
    Thats a good price for a laptop with the 4000 series graphics

Tuconots
    Yeah that's pretty legit at that pricepoint

Tuconots
    Oh, so integrated graphics cards are good enough to run games like League at the performance level I'm talking about? I figured I'd still want a dedicated graphics card, even if I went lower on the processor speed.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by enzie View Post
    Oh, so integrated graphics cards are good enough to run games like League at the performance level I'm talking about? I figured I'd still want a dedicated graphics card, even if I went lower on the processor speed.
    The 4000 series is pretty decent for an entry-level graphics solution. Just don't look to get good FPS at high resolution in anything but League of Legends. It'll be good for League, passable at best for everything else.

Tuconots
    Dedicated graphics in a laptop aren't going to be significantly better than the 4000 integrated graphics until you start to get in the $600+ range. You won't find any dedicated graphics that are very good in the $300-$400 range, might as well just use the passable integrated. The Intel HD 4000 is probably somewhere comparable to the old Geforce 8800s from 4-5 years back(except it does support DX11). I played a crapload of WoW and Warcraft III on an 8800 back in the day just fine, and on a processor nowhere near as powerful as an i3/i5. With the reduced resolution of a laptop(you're playing at 1366x768 rather than something like 1920x1080 on a desktop monitor), it'll run most games on medium settings just fine. Just do the usual framerate-saving precautions in graphics settings like turning off shadows, and extras like that, and you'll be good to go.
    Last edited by joeboo; 12-24-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Tuconots
    Oh, awesome, that sounds perfect then. Thanks guys, that's something I would have completely overlooked otherwise.

Tuconots
    Anyone know of a high end gaming laptop with a 14 or 15" screen that doesn't have a super high native resolution ( makes it a pain to read small text, and lowering the resolution from native makes everything terrible), in the range of $1300-1500?
    Last edited by Vardisk; 12-25-2012 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Tiny fucking iPhone screen

Tuconots
    Lenovo Y480/400 or Y580/500 can pay extra for 1080 screen or buy base model with 1366*768

Tuconots
    Hey Enzie, here's another good laptop option, just saw this on Slickdeals today

http://www.frys.com/product/7344754

Basically the same as the refurb Asus linked earlier, only it's Lenovo and not a refurb. Damn nice machine for slightly under $400.

Tuconots
    I appreciate it, but anything over $300 I gotta come out of pocket, and $360 is probably around the hard cap on the budget right now.

I had a great one I found on newegg for $329, but it sold out before she had a chance to order it. I've realized I'll be ok with the 3000 series integrated chip, as the laptop she uses that I've borrowed before to play League has a shittier processor than an i3, 2g of RAM, and a much older integrated chip. So, found a bunch of i3s, with 4g+ of RAM and 3000 series chips for $340 or less that all look perfectly serviceable. Stopped looking until she tells me how she wants to pay for it, or gives me the payment info/money, since the last one I spent time finding went out of stock before she got around to ordering.

Tuconots
    I have to rant.

Sometimes Apple just makes me so angry! I got my Macbook Pro, and the first straw was that there was no option to keep the computer on when I closed the lid... There is literally NO option to keep the laptop active when you close the lid. WHAT THE SlkFJ

I had to download a third party system preference add-on to enable it.

Now, I found out that every mouse has built-in acceleration, and there is NO option to disable it.

Is Apple the biggest troll or what? Like seriously, why do you have a "feature" that can't be disabled. It's retarded. I've always disliked Apple for their retarded "simplicity" features. My opinion is now even worse, owning a Macbook lol. I'm ok with my iPad though; maybe because I don't own an Android device.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmic_cs View Post
    I had to download a third party system preference add-on to enable it.
    It's stuff like this that makes me do a double-take and throw in a "what the fuck?".

If you have to download a third-party program on a PC, no one bats an eyelash. If you have to do it on a Mac (or jailbreak an iPhone, or whatever), people go apeshit because Apple should fix everything for you, or something. You solved the problem by downloading something that fixed it. What's the issue here?

Now, I found out that every mouse has built-in acceleration, and there is NO option to disable it.

Is Apple the biggest troll or what? Like seriously, why do you have a "feature" that can't be disabled. It's retarded. I've always disliked Apple for their retarded "simplicity" features. My opinion is now even worse, owning a Macbook lol. I'm ok with my iPad though; maybe because I don't own an Android device.
    No, they aren't trolling you. They didn't include a feature that Microsoft included in Windows. Again... if you can fix it, do so and there will be no problem anymore. A quick google turned this up:

Code:
    defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.scaling -1
    defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.trackpad.scaling -1
    I don't have a real Mac (I use a VM) so I can't comment on whether this will work or not. Try the above in a Terminal and let us know. Good luck. Some people say it worked for them, some say it made their mouse unusably slow.

Here's the thread it came from: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=361844

Tuconots
    But it's an anti-feature.

It's like a feature (extra) that can't be turned off. Why would anyone do that? It's like having no way to disable a screensaver. To me, it's super troll status. I can't think of something like that on Windows (at least not annoying ones).

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkorin View Post
    Code:
    defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.scaling -1
    defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.trackpad.scaling -1
    I don't have a real Mac (I use a VM) so I can't comment on whether this will work or not. Try the above in a Terminal and let us know. Good luck. Some people say it worked for them, some say it made their mouse unusably slow.

Here's the thread it came from: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=361844
    I don't think that works for the newest Mountain Lion.

Tuconots
    Not sure. I don't think it would do anything for me either way as VMware uses the mouse from the host OS.

Looked some more and found a few apps:

1. One that apparently disables acceleration until you reboot. YMMV, it's a direct download link and I haven't installed it (too lazy to set my preferences to allow apps from non-Apple-approved devs). It's free. http://db.tt/r2aGDoDB

2. One in the iTunes store called Decelerate, $0.99. The posted reviews aren't good, but the overall review is 4 stars, so... dunno. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dece...49448909?mt=12

3. Found another one that someone reported as working in ML. This one looks promising. http://smoothcursor.com/

Tuconots
    i'm still lost why anyone in their right fucking mind would buy a mac for anything. the screen is pretty? about the only thing i could ever think of.

Where's my money Leo?
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumar View Post
    i'm still lost why anyone in their right fucking mind would buy a mac for anything. the screen is pretty? about the only thing i could ever think of.
    My bro has a mac because they are usually better built then other laptops. He had his last macbook for almost 6 years before it died. This is pretty astounding considering he used to tear through laptops in less then a year. He's an auto mechanic so his hands usually have oil or some other corrosive substance on them. Other then my bro, most of the people I know who own a mac are usually developers/ linux admins who need the integrated terminal. Cygwin a lot of times ust doesn't cut it when trying to use it as a development tool. Yeah I know you can use the integrated terminal with Linux but Gnome/unity still fucking stuck. With regards to gaming, yeah mac's just fail.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumar View Post
    They're well-built, the screens are amazing (and you spend hours staring at it, so it should be a factor), it can run both OS X and Windows on bare metal, and is a passable gaming laptop if that's what you want?

It's no desktop replacement a-la Alienware/ASUS/whatever, but they're good quality machines. That's why people* buy them.

* - people who aren't sucking from the Apple teat, that is.

Tuconots
    The new mint is pretty good. Using that at work now and finding it pretty handy.

I do use all three though for certain shit, with VirtualBox and shit it's even more pointless having an OS loyalty.

Tuconots
    Thoughts on mid range gaming laptop... mainly to handle league.... 600 to 700 range. 15 inch monitor. Not looking to replace desktop but to have something to play on while watching TV or sitting in bed.

I realize this is similar to the last request... but I think I'm looking for something a bit better than he was.
    Last edited by Lenaldo; 01-15-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Tuconots
    I don't think that works for the newest Mountain Lion.
    haha you bought a mac
    CAUTION: THIS BOARD IS MODERATED BY ISIS SYMPATHIZERS
    Quote Originally Posted by chaos View Post
    No one is any worse than anyone else, we're all just pushing our own agendas. Even ISIS

Tuconots
    Does anyone have feedback on how durable Mac laptops are if you're backpacking? I'm not as concerned with features as I am with weight, battery duration and durability.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyn View Post
    Does anyone have feedback on how durable Mac laptops are if you're backpacking? I'm not as concerned with features as I am with weight, battery duration and durability.
    Weight and battery life on the Pros are very good.

Durability - they are built solidly, but the aluminum unibody can be dented easier than you might think, so if you are particular about keeping your stuff "like new", be aware of that.

Tuconots
    my friend's laptop's hard drive just took a shit. would it be possible for me to swap in the hard drive from my shitty old lap top with a broken screen without too much trouble, or is windows going to recognize different hardware and seize up?

basically, am i going to have to reinstall windows?
    No one is any worse than anyone else, we're all just pushing our own agendas. Even ISIS

Tuconots
    Depends on the version of Windows. If it's Vista or newer, possibly not. If it's XP or older, most likely.

Are the two laptops similar at all? i.e. both Intel storage controllers? If they are, you have a greater chance of success.

Oh, and if your laptops have different CPU brands (if yours is Intel and your friend's is AMD), it will likely fail, but you can toggle the IntelPPM service to get around this. It should be enabled for Intel CPUs, disabled for AMD CPUs. If this is the case, you'll have to boot using a recovery CD/DVD to do this, as you won't be able to load Windows (not sure if Safe Mode will work either, as the CPU driver is pretty basic stuff).

Chip off the old block! aychamo_aycono's Avatar
    Tuconots
    I'd def go with a ThinkPad!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuconots
    I think my dad actually has one of those lying around somewhere. Along with his slide rule, 100 lb oscilloscope and teletype.

Tuconots
    so i just fixed this girl's laptop by switching out her hard drive with the hard drive from my old laptop and formatting it. is there any software out there that i could use to analyze the old, busted hard drive and possibly find some nude pics? let me know.

Tuconots
    Does it boot at all? If not, can you attach it through some external SATA or USB connection and mount it in Windows? If so, try http://www.piriform.com/recuva.

Tuconots
    Isolinux/Hirens might have the tools you need, is Recuva just a more user friendly version of microscope ?
    Last edited by Homsar; 01-19-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Homsar View Post
    Isolinux/Hirens might have the tools you need, its Recuva just a more user friendly version of microscope ?
    It's worked for me on drives that weren't completely far gone, that's all I know.

Tuconots
    Run Spinrite on it and then chkdisk.

It'll prolly come back to life and be bootable too, if not you'll at least be able to browse the drive as a slave.

Tuconots
    I think my dad actually has one of those lying around somewhere. Along with his slide rule, 100 lb oscilloscope and teletype.
    Man I'd love to grab an old teletype terminal. Been wanting to do something like this for a while;

nPI7agd.jpg

Don't want to spend the $100 shipping people want to get them on ebay though.

Tuconots
    LOL. Nice.

Tuconots
    is there any sort of SATA to USB cord I could use? dont really feel like opening up the nerdslayer for this.

Tuconots
    Sure, something like http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16812123312 ?

They're cheap. That's .ca, Newegg refuses to give me .com prices right now for whatever reason.

Tuconots
    Sure, something like http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16812123312 ?

They're cheap. That's .ca, Newegg refuses to give me .com prices right now for whatever reason.
    I'd recommend getting one similar to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812232002 rather than that one. That way you've got any type of hard drive covered. I always end up buying a new one whenever I make it to Microcenter because I always lose the stupid things.

Tuconots
    I need some advice.

I'm looking at getting a new laptop and have gotten stuck between 2 options. What I want is a reasonably portable (and by that I mean it can fit into a backpack and survive being taken to campus) laptop I can do some reasonable gaming on. I'd like an i7 as I will be using it for work as well, and matlab and other data analysis software seems to be pretty processer dependent. It'd be nice if it wasn't really flashy as well.

First is the lenovo Y500. I'd buy the extra 650m off the lenovo website bringing the total up to 1200ish. The ultrabay seems useful, and I have read good things about the 650m SLI.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...A012D9B20ED2FB
    http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...0&Code=0C22235

Second is a Sager/Clevo. I'm looking at this one: http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9130-...25-p-4340.html My brother bought one from xotic and had a good experience, so that's where I'd probably buy it from. Price ends up very similar to the lenovo, around 1200 bucks

Any reason I should go for one over the other? Or any other options in this range that I spaced on? Thanks

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy_and View Post
    I need some advice.

I'm looking at getting a new laptop and have gotten stuck between 2 options. What I want is a reasonably portable (and by that I mean it can fit into a backpack and survive being taken to campus) laptop I can do some reasonable gaming on. I'd like an i7 as I will be using it for work as well, and matlab and other data analysis software seems to be pretty processer dependent. It'd be nice if it wasn't really flashy as well.

First is the lenovo Y500. I'd buy the extra 650m off the lenovo website bringing the total up to 1200ish. The ultrabay seems useful, and I have read good things about the 650m SLI.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...A012D9B20ED2FB
    http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...0&Code=0C22235

Second is a Sager/Clevo. I'm looking at this one: http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9130-...25-p-4340.html My brother bought one from xotic and had a good experience, so that's where I'd probably buy it from. Price ends up very similar to the lenovo, around 1200 bucks

Any reason I should go for one over the other? Or any other options in this range that I spaced on? Thanks
    Remember Haswell is coming in a few months, so consider waiting. If you do choose the y500, I'd suggest talking to a lenovo csr about getting the lowest price possible - they will often give steep discounts. If that doesn't pan out there's always the barnes and noble gold/lenovo site that sells everything already discounted. Prices vary week to week, but a rep should give the best price any time.

Something else worth noting, I believe the y500 with dual 650m was selling for 900 a few weeks back on newegg, but I don't think it was the i7 model. A good deal, but it's probably dead by now.

Tuconots
    Anyone have any suggestions for something to buy to replace Mom's computer? I was thinking of a cheap Chromebook since she has wifi and 4GB of ram should be fast enough for her. As well as being ChromeOS which might go a decent way towards virus infection calls late in the night. Any other suggestions? Tablets might also be a good idea but shes mostly an oldschool keyboard user.

As for her background she is just your standard 50 yr old mother. Can browse the net but the most complicated thing she is doing is Facebook. I am planning on installing dropbox so photos we regularly take of the kids can be dropped there and once we teach her where to go she can look forward to updates without any hassle as well as any important documents/files we might want to drop.

Probably also going look into some kind of online cloud backup system for when she eventually does the thing most parents do..

Tuconots
    Can anybody explain the purpose of Google's new Chromebook Pixel? I admit I haven't used a chromebook, but why would one want to buy a $1200 laptop whose OS is entirely dependent on being connected to the internet? If you're going to spend $1200 why on earth would one rather buy this than a Win8 hybrid / ultrabook / surface?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/21/c...ixel-hands-on/

Tuconots
    Maybe for the kickass display (2560x1700) ? You don't have many choices if you're looking for a high dpi laptop. There's the macbook pro and this new chromebook. I don't think there's any other notebook with over 1920x1080 resolution.

Tuconots
    That's the thing though, what do you do with that kickass display? Browse websites? You can't game on it, can't do anything productivity wise like photoshop where that resolution might be nice. I'm a HUGE google fan(own many android devices, a Nexus tablet, use Chrome, gmail, google docs regularly etc) and I think the Pixel is the most useless piece of hardware I've ever seen.

A $1200 web browser? Fucking come on, what are you thinking Google?

Tuconots
    A $1200 Chromium tablet with a keyboard, pretty much. No idea what they're thinking. Unless it's somehow haxable to run Ubuntu (a la ChrUbuntu) which would make it somewhat useful, why bother?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Selix View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions for something to buy to replace Mom's computer? I was thinking of a cheap Chromebook since she has wifi and 4GB of ram should be fast enough for her. As well as being ChromeOS which might go a decent way towards virus infection calls late in the night. Any other suggestions? Tablets might also be a good idea but shes mostly an oldschool keyboard user.

As for her background she is just your standard 50 yr old mother. Can browse the net but the most complicated thing she is doing is Facebook. I am planning on installing dropbox so photos we regularly take of the kids can be dropped there and once we teach her where to go she can look forward to updates without any hassle as well as any important documents/files we might want to drop.

Probably also going look into some kind of online cloud backup system for when she eventually does the thing most parents do..
    Chrome book is really limited I would just wait for Best Buy to get there cheap laptops in and buy one for 230-250$

Tuconots
    I personally love my Chromebook, but I only expect it to surf and take notes on Drive and it does both of these things fantastically. Well worth the 250. I can't think of anything else someone's parents would need.

Tuconots
    Quick question here.

I have an Asus G73JH from several years ago. Up until late-2012 it was great, then shit just started fucking up. The touchpad I had to manually fix, and now it doesn't work at all. If I touch it (even when disabled) it shorts out and turns off my computer. My input for the power brick is fucked, sometimes works. Battery is completely gone ($150-200). A bunch of keys keep popping off ($~90). I'm torn between fixing it or buying a new laptop.

If I bought a new laptop, which series is the best in the $1500-2000 range? Is ASUS still the top contender with the G75? Perhaps a MSI or Saiger? This is a purely gaming laptop. My desktop PC is great, but I am often travelling for school and work so I bring the beast with me. Portability or battery life is not an issue. Just want a beast of a laptop.

Tuconots
    The Asus G75 is impressive for its cost. I had a G75VW for a while until I had my Alienware fixed under warranty instead (which they weren't going to do at first). Had the opportunity to extend the warranty not presented itself, I'd still have the G75. It was a really sweet laptop.

If you can, go for the better video card (670GTX mobility if I remember right). It makes a fair amount of difference.

Tuconots
    The Asus G75 is impressive for its cost. I had a G75VW for a while until I had my Alienware fixed under warranty instead (which they weren't going to do at first). Had the opportunity to extend the warranty not presented itself, I'd still have the G75. It was a really sweet laptop.

If you can, go for the better video card (670GTX mobility if I remember right). It makes a fair amount of difference.
    I got the one with the 670m, i7, 16gb ram and a bluray.

It absolutely crushes everything I throw at it. I found it on amazon for 1395 and jumped on it. Absolute steal.

Tuconots
    Another dumb question but where's the best place to buy replacement batteries? There are so many websites. I can go OEM from ASUS for $150, or from any other site for $60, but I'm not sure how reliable these other places are.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodleface View Post
    Another dumb question but where's the best place to buy replacement batteries? There are so many websites. I can go OEM from ASUS for $150, or from any other site for $60, but I'm not sure how reliable these other places are.
    If you're gonna buy off some other site, just make sure the batteries are genuine. If they're some kinda scam, and they blow up in your laptop, consider yourself entirely screwed.

Tuconots
    They aren't OEM if that's what you mean. It's tough to tell which sites will have the best, although some of them have power ratings inconsistent with what the laptop requires so I can immediately cross those out.

Was just curious if others have bought laptop batteries from other sources and how they worked out. Really not looking to spend $150 on a new battery.

Tuconots
    I bought a battery off eBay once and it worked out fine, but YMMV. The battery I bought (for a Toshiba Satellite Pro if I remember right) was reconditioned, but still a genuine part. The danger lies in the quality of no name/third party batteries and whether they have warranty coverage (i.e. if the battery blows up and takes your laptop with it, do you have a leg to stand on?). Batteries overheating and catching on fire or exploding aren't exactly a new thing these days.

Tuconots
    Cant you also just go get the cells refilled in the battery for like 20$ or so ?

Tuconots
    Well don't order keys from laptopkeys.com.. I read their reviews and saw a few that mentioned this issue.. hoped it would pass me by. They almost look the same! Oh, and my stock are dark grey and the new one is Jet black.

644720_10151321873447532_275119035_n.jpg

Tuconots
    Also not an "M"! Derp.

Tuconots
    Also not an "M"! Derp.
    Everybody on Facebook said the same thing lol. I put it next to the real N for comparison.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodleface View Post
    Everybody on Facebook said the same thing lol. I put it next to the real N for comparison.
    The sad part is that, at the time, it took me about 30 seconds to figure out that it wasn't an M. I need more sleep.

Tuconots
    I contacted the company. It was only $6 so it's not like I was hard-pressed for the money, I really just want the matching key and I'm afraid even if I ordered it again I would get the wrong one. They told me I ordered the wrong key. If I look up the Asus G73 keyboard on their website I can clearly see a picture of an exact copy of my keyboard, this is the one I ordered the N from. If you look up another Asus keyboard on their website for another model (thinking G53 or something) it has the key that I received. I pointed this out to them and they are insisting I ordered the wrong key.

They want pictures of: my broken key, the hinges, the part of my laptop where the key attaches to, the key I received, the hinges on the key, a picture of the hinge attached, and they want to charge me return shipping. What a joke.

Tuconots
    Sounds like a real bunch of winners. Won't use them if I need keys, anyway. Thanks for letting us know.

Tuconots
    Any one have any experience with HP laptops? The elitist in me would normally scoff at HP, but I ran across this deal going on at Costco: Link

Seems like a fairly decent deal for the money. I'm not planning on using this to replace my dedicated gaming rig or anything, but it would be nice to be able to play a game if I'm stranded somewhere.

If the consensus is to run the hell away from anything HP, would the hive mind recommend going after that refurbished ASUS that was linked earlier?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Seethe View Post
    Any one have any experience with HP laptops?
    My wife uses an HP Pavillion dv7. It was about the same price but has discrete graphics instead of the Intel 4000. It's alright, nothing great, but at that price, you won't get "great".

I'd go for the ASUS, myself.

Tuconots
    That's the thing though, what do you do with that kickass display? Browse websites? You can't game on it, can't do anything productivity wise like photoshop where that resolution might be nice. I'm a HUGE google fan(own many android devices, a Nexus tablet, use Chrome, gmail, google docs regularly etc) and I think the Pixel is the most useless piece of hardware I've ever seen.

A $1200 web browser? Fucking come on, what are you thinking Google?
    I think lots of people go for 4xHD (which is complete overkill on a laptop especially on the 13 inch ones) when all they really 'need' to have a screen that looks amazing is an IPS laptop. Going from a typical laptop to a mbpr is a huge jump, but most laptops use dog shit screens with terrible color shift problems. I honestly can't tell the difference between the screen on the vaio Z and a MBPR when I see them side by side. The x230 and x220 from lenovo both have great screens even tho they are only 720p. Vaio Z (sadly a discontinued series now =( ) has a great 1080p screen, sony is retarded tho and charges more than a macbook pro retina even for refurbs unless you get one of their 30-50% off sales.

I am waiting on the price cuts and refreshs from haswell before I buy anything new, but atm I really really want a lenovo x230T, great screen, tablet convertable with an active digitizer is sex.
    Last edited by Creslin; 03-12-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Tuconots
    I bought the $249 Samsung Chromebook for shits and giggles. It's got an ARM chip, so it's no speed demon, but it performs well for what it's made for, which is web and web apps. The new offline Gmail interface is very nice and works well with it. It streams video fine. The laptop is not bad at all, as long as you know what you're getting before you buy it. http://amzn.to/10HhtMS
    chromebook.jpg

Tuconots
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834310621

lenovo.jpg

I got this before xmas for $249. Pretty nice net machine.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfen View Post
    I bought the $249 Samsung Chromebook for shits and giggles. It's got an ARM chip, so it's no speed demon, but it performs well for what it's made for, which is web and web apps. The new offline Gmail interface is very nice and works well with it. It streams video fine. The laptop is not bad at all, as long as you know what you're getting before you buy it. http://amzn.to/10HhtMS
    chromebook.jpg
    Welcome to the club brethren, I love mine.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Creslin View Post
    I think lots of people go for 4xHD (which is complete overkill on a laptop especially on the 13 inch ones) when all they really 'need' to have a screen that looks amazing is an IPS laptop. Going from a typical laptop to a mbpr is a huge jump, but most laptops use dog shit screens with terrible color shift problems. I honestly can't tell the difference between the screen on the vaio Z and a MBPR when I see them side by side. The x230 and x220 from lenovo both have great screens even tho they are only 720p. Vaio Z (sadly a discontinued series now =( ) has a great 1080p screen, sony is retarded tho and charges more than a macbook pro retina even for refurbs unless you get one of their 30-50% off sales.

I am waiting on the price cuts and refreshs from haswell before I buy anything new, but atm I really really want a lenovo x230T, great screen, tablet convertable with an active digitizer is sex.
    I recently bought an x230T and I have no real complaints. I wouldn't mind a higher resolution, but that issue only rears its head when I have multiple excel or word windows open. a 12.5 inch screen is small enough that even with higher resolution, text size would become the limiting factor anyways. Highly recommend. The digital pen + OneNote has replaced my notebook.

Thread Information