Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EQMac Now Free to Play

Tuconots

EQMac Now Free to Play

If you are looking for an actual EverQuest PoP experience, then this is pretty much the closest thing you are going to get; though if you are looking for that nostalgic experience, you pretty much are going to waste your time getting everything setup just to play it and you'll probably end up quitting.

If you are any bit interested, a great resource for the server is on the 'official' unofficial website/forum: EQmac.com- EverQuest done right.

Just to prevent some confusion, I am not Kyth on the forums/eqmac server; I am playing on the EQMac server as Ziot, I am an iksar necromancer and I would be glad to help people out.

I have recently started up EQMac with a few friends and we have tested a bunch of bullshit to see if it would work. Really your options come down to this:

1. Get a cheap mac
    2. Dualboot Leopard OSX on your pc
    3. (Dunno about linux, etc)

You are going to go through a lot of bullshit to get it working through vmware, we managed to get leopard with internet on vmware but it was really sluggish and slow, not to mention it doesn't have a lot of support for pretty much anything; I recommend just dualbooting instead of even bothering with it. Even with dualbooting, leopard is only made to work on very specific hardware and though the iatkos gives a bit more support and there is even some shitty support for AMD, if it isn't going to work for you then you just gotta either order some new hardware or buy a cheap mac.

Dualbooting: Hack Attack : Install Leopard On your PC in Just One Step | dailyApps

Setting up your account for EQMac: EQMac.com :: View topic - How to download Everquest Mac Edition

As for the actual server, though I have not been playing for a long time and some of this information may be inaccurate but I will do my best to give you some of my thoughts on it.

The first thing you need to know about the server is that if you are jumping in for a nostalgic moment where you think there are going to be a ton of people to play with, you are pretty much going to be disappointed. I would say that a lot of the people that play are between levels 35 to 50 because they struggle between the casual experience and finding people to play with. If you are going to play EQMac you are better off doing it with a couple of friends and at that, you are going to have some trouble getting your retarded friends setup with Leopard OSX if they do not have a mac. Though if you do end up playing alone, make sure you join the alliance channel (/join alliance) and say hello to people, they are really welcoming and are willing to help you out.

My friends intentions and I are entirely set on raiding PoP and since we cannot find enough people to bring to the server we are looking into the raiding guilds; a lot of the raiding guilds are really casual, the top one I think is Temerity which they raid only 3 days a week and have members that casually show up to raids. None of the elemental gods in PoP have been killed but they are interested in doing it this summer now, I believe because there has been a small surge of interest and new players. I would definitely be interested in putting together some form of guild if enough new players were interested, but it is a lot of effort that is probably not worth it.

Here is a chart showing what has been killed and when: EQMac.com :: View topic - Al'Kabor Guild (Tier) Progression

There is a growing list of small glitches and issues that are mostly annoying and not really game changing, the bigger ones so far being that some NPCs are incorrectly named in some of the kunark areas, some of my necro spells are really glitchy looking (not sure if this is because I am running a macbook pro, though I think I have all of my settings maxed), there are really weird model/animation bugs where their model is all messed up when they are walking or attacking, and some interface bugs such as guilds showing up as 'Unknown Guild'. Also you are not going to be able to use things such as magelo sync, macroquest, etc. which became a major handicap for a lot of the faggots that played EverQuest.

The best things about this server are that all of the really useful features they added to everquest to make the game really 'hold your hand' easy like all of these new mmos pretty much aren't there. Maps? Fuck you, time to bust out eqatlas~

In short, this is a great experience if you loved EverQuest and you're tired of all of this World of Warcraft and Warhammer bullshit.

As for all of the 'trolls' that want to do it just to wake the Sleeper, there are already people attempting to do this and I seriously doubt the script will even work - the server is that unsupported and buggy.

Tuconots
    Can someone hook a newb to the server up? guild? plats?

Tuconots
    There is also a PC client hack to allow PCs to log in to Al'Kabor so you can play it without a Mac. The original hack was created by Secrets, an EQ Emu dev. It was disabled in a client patch, but a new working hack was created by eqmule, an MQ2 developer.

PC client installation instructions

1. Install EQ Titanium from discs or otherwise obtain a fresh install folder of it

2. Take the contents of the fresh EQ Titanium installation folder and put them into a folder of your choice, e.g. C:\EQMac

3. Download EQMac via Sony's web installer here: https://lp.soe.com/eqmac/live/

4. Take the contents of the C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\EverQuest Mac\Contents\Resources folder and copy it all to the folder you made, e.g. C:\EQMac; overwrite anything it asks. (will be a lot) DO NOT copy to (your EQMac folder)\Resources. i.e. NOT C:\EQMac\Resources. If your client does not run for whatever reason, check to make sure you copied to the correct folder.

5. Download eqmule's patch archive that can be found here http://www.redguides.com/forums/show...tandalone-v2-1 and overwrite the files in the folder you made with the files inside this zip. (you may have to unzip then copy as the zip archive has the files inside a folder)

6a. Edit eqclient.ini and ensure that the following settings are set correctly:

VideoModeBitsPerPixel=32
    BitsPerPixel=32
    NewUI=TRUE
    CombatMusic=FALSE
    Log=TRUE

The important settings are the ones for video mode bits per pixel, which must be the same as your desktop, and the NewUI must be on or you will have an extremely limited UI. The other two settings are optional but I imagine a lot of people would want the combat music off and the log file on all the time. You may want to turn on other things, such as velious armor textures. If the game still does not run, try editing eqw.ini's video settings as well.

6b. If your EQMac folder is not C:\EQMac, then edit eqw.ini and change the folder to wherever you put it.

7. Download a frame rate limiting program or set the frame limiter option in Nvidia Inspector to cap your frame rate. The reason why you need this is because EQ will run at many hundreds of frames per second on modern graphics cards, which is not only a waste of computer resources, but also screws up your mouselook speed. (one axis will be very fast, the other too slow)

If you don't have an Nvidia GPU, or don't want to cap your frame rate via Nvidia inspector, you can use one of these programs:

MSI Afterburner - Works for non-MSI and AMD cards too. Run the On-Screen Display Server and click the wrench.
    Dxtory - A Fraps-like program; not free, but the trial doesn't end. Click the Advanced tab, and check 'Limit Video FPS'.

8. Install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86). If you get a "Exception Processing Message 0xc0000135" when launching the client, the reason why is you do not have this package installed.

9. To run the game, execute eqw.exe with admin privileges and make sure to check the box for Fix EQclinit.ini.

10. Once in the game, if the 'Chose a Skill' box doesn't appear when assigning Action Buttons, then look for a small piece of the window sticking out in the corner of the screen somewhere. It was almost entirely off screen for me and it needed to be moved.

Note: If you have trouble with the installation or the PC client in any way, DO NOT ask questions about it on the official eqmac forums. This is NOT an official game client and people will give you dirty looks at best, or worse it may motivate SOE to disable it.

Known issues with the PC client

The PC client is inferior to the official Mac client for a number of reasons. If you have a Mac available it is recommended that you play on that instead.

• The PC client will aggressively use up all of the CPU on the core it runs on, even with the frame rate limited, and running more than one client on the same processor core will make them all run badly, make the game unplayable, or worse make your entire machine slow to a crawl.
    • The PC client is old, and uses a software cursor inside EQW. This means you cannot move your cursor outside the game window while the game has focus.
    • Alt-tabbing will sometimes make the Alt key stuck as if it were being held down in the game until you press it again.
    • The client will act very strangely on some older dual-core processors unless you force it to only run on one core. (processor affinity)
    • You cannot send commands to the game when it is in the background/not in focus using multi-box software of some sort. If you're some sort of genius programmer that finds a way, then I will shower you with platinum for the solution.
    • Changing window focus using multi-box software will occasionally cause movement keys to get stuck, causing your character to run and/or turn on its own.
    • You may notice some graphics anomalies when the game camera is very close to players or NPCs on machines with Nvidia hardware.
    • During large raids the client will lag. Setting the data rate to 9.0 in datarate.txt and turning off filters will help. You may get disconnected entirely if you don't.
    • The client will often crash when zoning after long raids.
    • I've been told shakerpaging will not work on the PC client as it will disconnect you before your character can get the experience. (have not personally verified this claim though as I have no warrior)

The Mac client does not have these problems.

Misc server facts

• This server is EverQuest as it was circa early 2003. No Ykesha, no LDoN, no maps, no augments.
    • The sleeper still sleeps here
    • This server has the original plane of mischief, only accessible from NToV
    • This server's Lost Temple of Cazic Thule zone is the post-Luclin revamped version
    • Level 55+ characters get free access to tier 2 planes (Storms, Valor, Crypt)
    • Level 62+ characters get free access to tier 3 planes (Tactics, BoT)
    • This server has a 20% exp bonus
    • This server's group exp bonus is exceptionally large at 4+ players
    • Earthshakers still drop, shrakerpaging works
    • DoT damage is not displayed
    • No target rings
    • No buff timers

Some advice for people starting out

1. the 'Alliance' channel is the global chat channel for the server. I suggest doing an /autojoin Alliance to perma join it. Mostly because...
    2. Several times a day, people will do MGB (mass group buff) KEI and Valor at the soulbinder in PoK. They will announce this in the Alliance channel. These buffs will last about 3 hours and 40 minutes, depending on the caster's AAs.
    3. Zones with a huge (double exp) experience modifier: Crushbone, Befallen, Kurn's Tower, Paludal Caverns (a favorite), Upper Guk, Warrens, High Keep.
    4. Each city has newbie armor quests that you may want to look into (more info)
    5. Press ctrl-alt-r in EQW to release your mouse cursor, and again to return control to the game. This allows you to move the window.
    6. Nelin Signus in PoK sells Deluxe Toolboxes which are 10 slot containers that weigh 3.5 and carry GIANT items. Cost is ~1.2pp.
    7. It is STRONGLY advised that any new characters keep up their defense skill as they level. The farther behind the current defense cap for the character, the harder it is to raise. You have been warned. Yes, it is that bad. Using blue con pets in the arena is an effective way to raise defense and weapon skills if you have access to them.

Cash farming options for low to mid level players

1. Perhaps the best newbie zone in the game to start out in is Butcherblock Mountains. There are a number of mobs in this zone that drop cash items. Any race can use the PoK books to travel here safely at level 1.

• Large Skunks (level 2) can drop Pristine Skunk Claws which sell to vendors for ~4pp
    • Krag Chicks (levels 3-5) can drop Pristine Krag Claws which sell to vendors for ~1pp
    • Wandering Greenbloods (levels 9-10) can drop Insignias of Greenblood which sell to vendors for ~4pp (killing these lowers Oggok faction)
    • Various Green Goblins can drop Green Goblin Blood Vials which sell to vendors for ~4pp

The best location to hunt skunks seems to be the northwest area near the docks.

2. Crushbone orcs will drop scalps which can be given to an NPC in highpass hold for 5-6 gold each. This NPC is near the misty zone. (Captain Ashlan)

3. Willowisps are levels 9-11 and drop lightstones (vendor for 1pp with good charisma) and greater lightstones. (4.5pp) Don't sell the greater lightstones though; you can trade them for an item (it's a container, have a bag slot open) that sells for ~8pp to Mrysila in North Karana (good races) or to Smith Tv`ysa in South Ro. (evil races) Both these quest NPCs are also vendors.

4. Bandits (levels 14-20) in Paludal Caverns drop ringmail and lots of coin.

5. The adventurous types in their mid to late 20s or higher can explore the Warrens dungeon. Weapon drops vendor for 1-5pp, drops here may sell in the bazaar, molars can be turned in at Erudin for money, and there is a quest that gives 50pp if you camp a named here.

6. Wooly Mammoths in Everfrost Peaks (levels 22-26) drop tusks that vendor for about 10pp with high charisma at a rate of 1 per 2 kills or so. (they are GIANT items, carry a bag that can hold them; a Deluxe Toolbox works)

Selling Tradeskill Materials

Often rich, high level players will want to buy tradeskill mats in bulk to raise their skills. This is often the best way for new players to get some easy money. Keep an eye out for notifications by players in various channels asking for mats to get an idea of who wants what and for how much. Prices/demand vary considerably depending on who needs what and when. Setting up a vendor in the bazaar might be a good idea as well.

1. Blacksmiths want (lots of) swirling shadows. There are only two viable farming locations for this item: an island in the twilight sea with undercon level 30-40 mobs, and some fast respawning level 3-7 skeletons called 'a lesser shade' in Shadeweaver's Thicket. These skeletons drop both swirling shadows and shadeling silk, which can sell for anywhere from 25pp to 125pp ea and 2-5pp ea respectively. The place you want to hunt these skeletons is an area north of Shar Vahl, near a cave opening. Follow the road north to the cave and kill every skeleton mob (not just shades) you see in that area. You'll notice that a mob will respawn immediately after you kill one. The spawn rate is so fast that a higher level melee class with SoW on can easily get more shadows here than in Twilight Sea even, if they have the patience for it.

2. Superb and Flawless Rockhopper Hides can be sold to players for 100-500pp ea depending on the buyer. The rockhoppers that drop these are level 37-45 and can be found in Dawnshroud Peaks, Mons Letalis, or the Scarlet Desert. By far the best place to farm these is the rockhopper cave in the northeast corner of Dawnshroud; however the cave does not always spawn rockhoppers. If the cave has tribesmen instead, Samabata Tribal Leader Garn (level 48, and has PHs) will need to be killed in order to switch the cave over to Rockhoppers. DO NOT kill the Age Old Rockhopper, or the cave will spawn tribesmen instead.

3. Spider silk has been known to have buyers offering 200pp a stack, sometimes more. Crag spiders (levels 18-22) in East Karana are a good source of spider silk.

4. Some players buy Celestial Essences for 100pp/stack or higher. (5pp ea) This is a no-fail combine from store bought components. All of the components can be bought from merchants that are very close (same building) to each other in PoK. Combine a Celestial Solvent and a Scent of Marr in a Mortar and Pestle.

Mortar & Pestle from vendor Ciren Darkbog (~1.1pp; one time purchase)
    Celestial Solvent from vendor Darius Gandril (1.3g-1.5g)
    The Scent of Marr from vendor Loran Thu'Leth (1.6pp-1.9pp)

Websites

http://lucy.alkabor.com - Spell database specific for this server
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/ - Most popular EQ database site
    http://www.eqtraders.com - Tradeskill recipes, vendor lists for items and spells (allakhazam requires a paid account to list item vendors and recipes)
    Alla Kabor - Item database site specifically for this server. Requires registration
    http://www.eqmacwiki.com/eqatlas/atlas.html - Maps
    Gear List Spreadsheets - Lists of every piece of gear on the server
    ZEM List - Zone Experience Modifiers of every zone (exp per kill multiplier)
    A Guide to Experience Mechanics on Al'Kabor - Strongly recommend reading this

Low level doable focus item quests

The Magic Pool - Haste II mask; requires sarnak blood and running through a mid 30s dungeon invis
    Holly Longtail's Replacement Parts - Mana Preservation II ring; requires tradable drops from some low 30s mobs
    (anyone know more quests like these?)

Popular Custom User Interfaces

Powerof2
    Velious UI

Programs that may be useful to players here (PC only)

1. http://gambosoft.com/ has two programs: GamParse and GameTextTriggers. GamParse is a dps log parser; and GamTextTriggers can do all sorts of things, like display timers and play sounds when specified text is encountered in your log file, which it parses in real-time. I set it to make a sound when 'MGB' or 'KEI' is said so I can be tabbed out and not miss group buff announcements, and set timers for important buffs, as some examples.
    2. http://www.baremetalsoft.com/baregrep/ is my favorite grep tool, which is useful for searching log files. Example uses include searching the log file for item prices, to find the timestamp of when you were last buffed (there are no buff timers on EQMac) or listing the timestamps of every level gain to determine how long they took.
    3. HotkeyNet is pretty nice (and free) multi-boxing software. Changing window focus using this will prevent the alt key getting stuck problem.
    4. A simple AutoIT (http://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/) button spam script I wrote to raise skills for me: (and trust me, you'll need this or something similar; skillups are bitch here)
    Code:
    AutoItSetOption ( "WinTitleMatchMode", 3 )

Global $TwoSpamState = 0
    Global $TwoSpamDelay = 6000

HotKeySet("{NUMPAD2}", "TwoSpam")
    HotKeySet("{NUMPADADD}", "TwoSpamSetDelay")

While 1
    ;	If $TwoSpamState Then
    	If $TwoSpamState and WinActive("EQW beta 2.32") Then
    		Send("2")
    	EndIf
    	Sleep(Random(1, 100, 1) + $TwoSpamDelay)
    WEnd

Func TwoSpam()
    	If $TwoSpamState Then
    		$TwoSpamState = 0;
    	Else
    		$TwoSpamState = 1;
    	EndIf
    	Beep(500, 100)
    EndFunc

Func TwoSpamSetDelay()
    	$TwoSpamDelay = $TwoSpamDelay + 500
    	If $TwoSpamDelay > 10000 Then
    		$TwoSpamDelay = 0
    	EndIf
    	Beep(500 + ($TwoSpamDelay / 10), 100)
    EndFunc
    This will spam the '2' button when turned on. Press numpad 2 to toggle it on/off. Press numpad+ to increase the delay by half a second (reverts to almost-zero delay after 10 seconds) If you want to change the button from 2 to something else, just edit the Send("2") line. It may need to be run as admin to send to the EQW window. The UAC popup will also crash the client when it dims your screen, so you will need to run your scripts before loading the client, or disable the UAC screen dimming. (you can lower the slider one notch to disable the dimming without disabling UAC entirely)
    Last edited by Torrid; 10-07-2013 at 02:37 AM.

Tuconots
    Yeah, I just bought a new Macbook air and I would love to get hooked up with some stuff / a guild. Any takers?

Tuconots
    Bumping this thread as this server is a ton of fun if you like POP era EQ. People are typicaly nicer the most other games I Have played in recent years.

If you want some old school eq, give it a shot.

Tuconots
    Aye wouldn't mind having some more people to group and level with. Sick of Highkeep, WTB players that know how to handle dungeons like Crystal Caverns, ToFS, City of Mist, etc. Middle levels (30~46) are pretty rough here.

Tuconots
    eqmac is fun, when i feel like playing eq again itll will be on this server. just beware, some of the old macfags have a grudge against the pc users using the hack to connect. they blame the pc hack for the recent RMT increase IE platlord and say we ruined the server :P

Tuconots
    Yeah, if you play from a PC don't tell anyone. Some people are real fags about it.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenas View Post
    Aye wouldn't mind having some more people to group and level with. Sick of Highkeep, WTB players that know how to handle dungeons like Crystal Caverns, ToFS, City of Mist, etc. Middle levels (30~46) are pretty rough here.
    Then you definitely won't be happy when you outlevel high keep just in time to go to PoJ. Then when you're 55 it's PoV till you die.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenas View Post
    Yeah, if you play from a PC don't tell anyone. Some people are real fags about it.
    ya i should have just said this lol.

Tuconots
    It's kind of hard to blame them when the worst of Project 1999's dregs came to the server. P99 was full of sociopaths. Luckily some of them got banned.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
    It's kind of hard to blame them when the worst of Project 1999's dregs came to the server. P99 was full of sociopaths. Luckily some of them got banned.
    Yes and no. I've met some really cool folks and good players since the PC hack became popular. Some of the P99 dropouts are indeed fucking retarded, but it's really just a handful and they're pretty easy to spot and stay away from, so it's not that bad. I think overall F2P did more damage than PC hack on its own. F2P means no one gives a fuck about trying to hack/train/act like a jerkoff, or just box their own group/raid on their own. Get banned? Get another account. Unlimited amount of accounts for people to 10 box with scripts and shit, meh.

Tuconots
    Well obviously I don't believe PC users on the server is an overall bad thing, as I am trying to help bring more to the server. I want Sony to release an official PC client in fact. I can just understand why Mac users would feel that way. P99 and EQMac have very different communities. Two dozen people showed up to see Lron's corpse rot after his ban.

The first 'wave' of PC hack users were the worst of it. I think the newer joiners will be much better. I would encourage all PC players to be a little more cordial than usual here.

Tuconots
    Well obviously I don't believe PC users on the server is an overall bad thing, as I am trying to help bring more to the server. I want Sony to release an official PC client in fact. I can just understand why Mac users would feel that way. P99 and EQMac have very different communities. Two dozen people showed up to see Lron's corpse rot after his ban.

The first 'wave' of PC hack users were the worst of it. I think the newer joiners will be much better. I would encourage all PC players to be a little more cordial than usual here.
    I played for a couple of weeks and that Lron dude would just spam the Alliance chat all day. no idea why he had a follow or what he did but people seemed to love/hate him. Why as he banned?

Tuconots
    edit: nevermind. fixed.
    Last edited by ZithaX; 12-14-2012 at 05:03 AM.

Tuconots

Agreed with that.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Traak View Post
    I played for a couple of weeks and that Lron dude would just spam the Alliance chat all day. no idea why he had a follow or what he did but people seemed to love/hate him. Why as he banned?
    Repeatdly trained members of my guild in a 'troll attempt' or whatever floated his boat at the time. Trained them again while they were corpse running by training shit on top of the GY, got his ass reported (wasn't the first time) and banned.

Tuconots
    does wineq work with eqmac instead of eqw? alt tabbing back and forth is annoying as fuck when the alt key gets stuck every time by this trash program.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by ZithaX View Post
    does wineq work with eqmac instead of eqw? alt tabbing back and forth is annoying as fuck when the alt key gets stuck every time by this trash program.
    The EQ version on the PC used to connect to the Mac server is too old for WinEQ to work. The author said so:
    http://www.lavishsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5163

However, in your EQMac folder should be an eqw.ini file. Edit it with Notepad and there should be several hotkeys defined. The one under "EQSwitch=" can be used to toggle between the EQ windows instead of Alt-Tab.

Tuconots
    So anyone want to toss me a guild invite? I'm currently 3-boxing an enchanter, cleric, and SK. I think they're level 5 or so in Steamfont. :P

Tuconots
    Thanks Neranja. So anybody got some gear to give away? Got a 7war/6clr atm (Zithaxx/Zithez) all naked and such.

Tuconots
    7. Download dxtory from http://dxtory.com/v2-download-en.html. This is a fraps-like program that has an option to limit the frame rate games run at. The reason why you need this is because EQ will run at many hundreds of frames per second, which is not only a waste of computer resources, but also screws up your mouselook speed. (one axis will be very fast, the other too slow) Click the 'Advanced' tab, check 'Limit Video FPS' and set it to 60. Nvidia card owners can probably use their driver's frame limiter option instead, or other programs such as MSI Afterburner will work.
    So using dxtory completely fixes the legendary mouse look issue on the EQMac server?

Tuconots
    I wouldn't say completely fixes. It's better, but not perfect. At least in my experience.

Tuconots
    Sorry for the stupid question, but I followed Torrid's advice step by step, but I could not log into the MAC server. Error message "Error 0009 Login Server did not respond.\nPlease try again.\n".

When I tried to copy the resource folder from the EQMac download into the C:\EQMac folder, my virus scanner reported: "Found TR/Agent.44544.47 in wsock32.dll". Could that have something to do with it?

System: Windows 7, 64bit, german settings.

Thanks!

Edit: In the file EQhost I found these entrees:
    [Registration Servers]
    {
    "eqlogin4.989studios.com:6999"
    }
    [Login Servers]
    {
    "eqlogin4.989studios.com:16900"
    "eqlogin4.989studios.com:16901"
    "eqlogin4.989studios.com:16902"
    "eqlogin4.989studios.com:16903"
    }

That can't be correct? Does Sony still work with login servers named after 989 Studios? I think this was the first EQ company, even before Verant?
    Last edited by Mascha; 12-17-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Tuconots
    This shit still holds up bros. I only play occasionally but the community is generally pleasant to deal with and PoP-era EQ is solid.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascha View Post
    my virus scanner reported: "Found TR/Agent.44544.47 in wsock32.dll". Could that have something to do with it?
    Yes, most likely. Your antivirus is probably blocking the hack from working. Secrets (the hack developer) altered functions in the wsock32.dll in EQMac folder. The game is to use that version of the file instead of the one in your Windows\System32 directory, and your antivirus doesn't like any file with that name being altered. Either disable your antivirus, or configure it to ignore this file. (if possible)

No other programs will try to use this modified wsock32.dll, btw, since it's in your EQMac directory. For the curious, Secrets explains what the modifications are here

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascha View Post
    That can't be correct? Does Sony still work with login servers named after 989 Studios? I think this was the first EQ company, even before Verant?
    It's far easier to maintain a domain active (no change to anything, pay 8$ per year or so) than to try to switch the servers to a new domain, and THEN have to track every reference to it (especially if you obfuscated them to make it harder for people to develop emus - which I don't think they did, but they could) in mostly undocumented code for which all original programmers left the company years ago.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Vardisk View Post
    So using dxtory completely fixes the legendary mouse look issue on the EQMac server?
    I'd recommend MSI Afterburner, the configuration options are better. You dont get that annoying pop up telling you that Dxtory isn't free with a popup window making you wait 10 seconds unlike MSI Afterburner that just allows you to use it.
    Last edited by Shuuhei; 12-18-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Lenas is the grammer police

Tuconots
    Bragon, bro... You're not going to get anywhere with Faite. Dude is off his nut.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by 001001102 View Post
    Bragon, bro... You're not going to get anywhere with Faite. Dude is off his nut.
    I know ... i know, i just don't even know why i do this.
    On a separate note: Hobart is rolling in a ton of fixes right now, he's been re assigned to EQmac to fix broken shit, spells, AAs and zones.

Tuconots
    Yeah, I seent that bro. Exciting times. Been too lazy to play my new two-box team lately. Also, if anybody needs some plat'nums I've got you. Post here or PM or something and I can arrange to meet up with you.

Tuconots
    001001102 I'm on there, name is Barffer 43 Ogre Warrior, spent some time chatting with Bragon last night. The server has a low population, so trying to group can become frustrating at times, also it's not really like PC EQ, it's very polite, and everyone leveling up goes from FoB, to Kurns, to Paludal Caverns, to HHK forever.

Random people will hook you up with some gear if you just say your new to the server in alliance, people are always MGB'ing buffs that make leveling easier, it's pretty chill and no real dicks. Hit me up if anyone is grinding out levels.

Tuconots
    Yeah it's pretty nice bro. I've got a 65 that I've abandoned and a swarm of low-mid 30s characters that I've been dicking around with.

Tuconots
    I got annoyed because of instead of grouping everyone boxed

Tuconots
    not everyone but ya its a problem. if i ever play eq again this will be the only platform worthy of my presence. never again will i invest my time playing on eq emus.

edit: bah I lied, I'll give EQC a chance if it ever comes to be.
    Last edited by Traak; 12-19-2012 at 04:09 AM.

Tuconots
    I'd play eqmac if you want to sam, not doing it solo again though.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagdaddy View Post
    I'd play eqmac if you want to sam, not doing it solo again though.
    Amen to that Swag. My EQ career started as a wizard who I played for 8 years solo / duo'ed with my girlfriend (who played a druid). It was fun to be able to kite almost anything with huge crits, but I rerolled a warrior 2 days ago hoping to be able to form some solid groups. Not guild groups mind you, just comprised of friendly people who you could just group with and know they are capable. Seems Al'kabor has a low tank population so hopefully this works out.

I have absolutely 0 desire to box because back before I quit in 2008 I was boxing a wizard, bard, enchanter, paladin, and buffbot cleric. It turned into work instead of being a game I enjoyed playing. The autonomy was great, but there was no connection with anyone. Kinda like how a lot of the current crop of MMOs are today.

On a side note I am thankful that this version of the game stopped at PoPower as I considering it one of the two most solid MMO expansions I've ever played. I miss the difficulty of Gates of Discord, but that is for another discussion. Playing EQmac on a PC isn't to bad, but I have a spare hard drive that I'm considering putting osx 10.8 on just so I can play EQmac "properly" and have a working trader window.

P.S.
    /rant on
    The al'kabor economy sucks and makes it impossible for new players to get any type of player sold gear. I'm still running around with the starting sword completely naked outside of the newbie tunic at level 10.
    Last edited by Shuuhei; 12-19-2012 at 03:01 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Bragon View Post
    I know ... i know, i just don't even know why i do this.
    On a separate note: Hobart is rolling in a ton of fixes right now, he's been re assigned to EQmac to fix broken shit, spells, AAs and zones.
    Does this mean burning affliction?

Tuconots
    I would play with you all but alas I am in the european timezone. And I am still wondering if it's worth all the work to set up a 4box team. Wanted to play a bard as a main, but when boxing I would just let him be a glorious mana battery, which feels like a waste somehow.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by ismaris View Post
    Does this mean burning affliction?
    Burning affliction, broken cleric AAs, MGB for BST ...it's all on the list of shit he wants to fix.

Tuconots
    Burning affliction, broken cleric AAs, MGB for BST ...it's all on the list of shit he wants to fix.
    Interesting. I'll be interested to see if he comes through.

Tuconots
    I believe he just got re assigned full time to A'lkabor, and he's a worke horse, i have no doubt he'll fix most of this.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuuhei View Post
    Amen to that Swag. My EQ career started as a wizard who I played for 8 years solo / duo'ed with my girlfriend (who played a druid). It was fun to be able to kite almost anything with huge crits, but I rerolled a warrior 2 days ago hoping to be able to form some solid groups. Not guild groups mind you, just comprised of friendly people who you could just group with and know they are capable. Seems Al'kabor has a low tank population so hopefully this works out.

I have absolutely 0 desire to box because back before I quit in 2008 I was boxing a wizard, bard, enchanter, paladin, and buffbot cleric. It turned into work instead of being a game I enjoyed playing. The autonomy was great, but there was no connection with anyone. Kinda like how a lot of the current crop of MMOs are today.

On a side note I am thankful that this version of the game stopped at PoPower as I considering it one of the two most solid MMO expansions I've ever played. I miss the difficulty of Gates of Discord, but that is for another discussion. Playing EQmac on a PC isn't to bad, but I have a spare hard drive that I'm considering putting osx 10.8 on just so I can play EQmac "properly" and have a working trader window.

P.S.
    /rant on
    The al'kabor economy sucks and makes it impossible for new players to get any type of player sold gear. I'm still running around with the starting sword completely naked outside of the newbie tunic at level 10.
    one cool thing is most newbie armor quests are in the game. MGB go off frequently turning your melee into a wrecking machine. i didnt start seeing groups til PC really although I did group in CB on my druid all the way to 15. GL

Tuconots

Unhappy

one cool thing is most newbie armor quests are in the game. MGB go off frequently turning your melee into a wrecking machine. i didnt start seeing groups til PC really although I did group in CB on my druid all the way to 15. GL
    Yah, I appreciate the advice Traak. I was planning on starting the newb armor quests around 13 when I get dual wield.

I am currently duo'ing with my girlfriends druid. I essentially keep threat with taunt and she nukes / snares. Feel pretty useless at the moment. My melee is so pathetic Shield of Thistles does more dps than my melee swings/slam. Its quite sad.
    Last edited by Shuuhei; 12-19-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Tuconots
    Hi Torrid,

thanks for the input. I am still working on getting this to work, but still have the Login error. Anyway, 2 things:

4. Download EQMac via Sony's web installer here: https://lp.soe.com/eqmac/live/
    This doesn't work with Opera. I know not many people use it, but I love it. Just use Internet Explorer in that case.

Your antivirus is probably blocking the hack from working. Secrets (the hack developer) altered functions in the wsock32.dll in EQMac folder
    Yep, My antivirus blocked this and I had to create exemptions for bith the system scanner and real time scanner. Works now.

Thanks!

Aunt Edit:

Solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My problem was that my Sony password contained a special character (in my case a #), I logged into my Everquest account on everquest.com and changed my password.
    Thanks a ton for the help!

Btw, my name will be Mascha, halfling druid :-)
    Last edited by Mascha; 12-19-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Tuconots
    I believe he just got re assigned full time to A'lkabor, and he's a worke horse, i have no doubt he'll fix most of this.
    My Vanguard cleric is wearing a full set of his gear currently. Hobart's XX of Amelioration :P

Tuconots
    Yeah, I've been 3 boxing but that is getting old for me. I'd like to see some groups / join a guild with some FoHers.

Tuconots
    [Wed Dec 19 17:33:01 2012] Hobart BROADCASTS, 'Btw, cliff note version of the fixes. Spell Casting Subtlety no longer breaks Concussion and Boggle. Voice of Thule is fixed. Boastful Bellow fixed(i.e. nerfed) Bard run speed cap fixed(i.e. nerfed and refixed properly) Burning Affliction Focus works on dot ticks'
    [Wed Dec 19 17:33:28 2012] Hobart BROADCASTS, 'Lots of other AA issues fixed, however, some won't be visible until we do a client fix'
    [Wed Dec 19 17:34:05 2012] Hobart BROADCASTS, 'These changes are ONLY in Plane of Tactics'
    [Wed Dec 19 17:34:17 2012] Hobart BROADCASTS, 'A server reset is required to update all zones'
    [Wed Dec 19 17:35:38 2012] Hobart BROADCASTS, 'Other things fixed but require a spell or client update. Beastloards now have MGB AA, Celestial Regen and Renewal are working and like Live PC'
    [Wed Dec 19 17:36:22 2012] Hobart BROADCASTS, 'And Mage AA Forms are 15 mins instead of 72 like Live PC'

Tuconots
    hells yeah bro, easy-to-get burning affliction 3 bracelets for all!

Tuconots
    Some great changes which will make things interesting. I'm already hearing enchanters complaining about no instant rune.

Tuconots
    Hobart talking about bard buff window and other cool changes, can't wait.

Banned
    Tuconots
    This game goes up to PoP?

Tuconots
    Yes

Banned
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by YIMMY View Post
    Yes
    Thanks. Sounds kinda like the perfect emu.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Thanks. Sounds kinda like the perfect emu.
    Except its run by SOE so its a magical twilight land where all your dreams come true with low population.

Tuconots
    very low population =(

Banned
    Tuconots
    gah it was my one hope for EQ. I can't play p99 because of low population too and the no boxing rule.

Tuconots
    Why in God's name isn't there a broadcast before the server reboots? Or a forced character save? Nothing like dinging 15 seconds before the server goes down, then logging back in and seeing I'm at 74% into the previous level. And those 'soandso saved.' messages are bullshit, because I got one 4 minutes before being kicked.

I don't want to be 'that guy', but christ. It's gotta be one line in a shutdown script or something.

Tuconots
    I'm willing to start a toon with anyone here, but rolling as a random newb did not work for me.

Please PM or respond in thead if interested, I'm def not getting my EQ fix on MQ/SEQ infested P99.

Banned
    Tuconots
    but rolling as a random newb did not work for me.
    How come, just too empty?

I'm def not getting my EQ fix on MQ/SEQ infested P99.
    No I didn't either. I even got to level 50 but it's just not right.

Tuconots
    Because too many people box PL their alts, groups were far too rare.

Hence me wanting to find at least one person to start with, even duoing would be highly preferable to soloing. I'm not a boxing fan myself so I kinda ruled that out as well.

Banned
    Tuconots
    Sounds bad. The only reason I would ever want to play EQ is for good group content. Raids, soloing, small groups and mediocre group content is all done far better elsewhere. To me the one main attraction of this game would have been to do Lguk or Sebilis or whatever with a good team.

Tuconots
    Why in God's name isn't there a broadcast before the server reboots? Or a forced character save? Nothing like dinging 15 seconds before the server goes down, then logging back in and seeing I'm at 74% into the previous level. And those 'soandso saved.' messages are bullshit, because I got one 4 minutes before being kicked.

I don't want to be 'that guy', but christ. It's gotta be one line in a shutdown script or something.

Yeah no server broadcast before a reboot sucks. For future reference though i believe Hobart wil announce all unscheduled downtime here: http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/in...discussion.35/

Tuconots
    I should mention that I lost about an hour's worth of exp. I strongly suggest that people force a save by zoning or camping if they get a valuable drop.

Tuconots
    Because too many people box PL their alts, groups were far too rare.

Hence me wanting to find at least one person to start with, even duoing would be highly preferable to soloing. I'm not a boxing fan myself so I kinda ruled that out as well.
    I just got to level 13 with my troll warrior Swag, my girlfiend just got 17 on her druid. We normally play 2-4 hours a night during the week and 6-8 hours each on saturday / sunday. We are on mountain standard time though so I do not know how that would work for you.

Tuconots
    Like Blue, you gotta be a little more proactive to get groups going. IE make the groups yourself. Good to see dev work is being done to eqmac, I imagine pop will slowly increase from here on out.

Tuconots
    Like Blue, you gotta be a little more proactive to get groups going. IE make the groups yourself. Good to see dev work is being done to eqmac, I imagine pop will slowly increase from here on out.
    Pretty much this. When i leveled i did 1 to 20 solo, it was the most painful thing in any MMO i've ever done (on a warrior, sigh). Almost made me quit, but i started looking around for people my level at prime time (forget middle of the day) and arrange groups. After a while we had a regular exp group going and went through other zones than the XP highway of Alkabor, it wasn't as efficient but sure was a lot more fun.
    Even then i still had many a night where i didn't do shit because not everyone was on, however situation is vastly different now since the accounts are F2P and everyone super box their alts to victory.
    If any of you need help for shit like seb keys, buffs or a port or w/e send me a tell in game, i don't really have alts nowadays but if you make it to 46 i'll gladly do a PoJ trial for you and help ya xp in valor for a bit though.

Tuconots
    I'm willing to start a toon with anyone here, but rolling as a random newb did not work for me.

Please PM or respond in thead if interested, I'm def not getting my EQ fix on MQ/SEQ infested P99.
    Hey I have 3 chars, level 4 cleric, sk, and enchanter, and I am looking for people to play/group with. add ismaris to friends list in-game and we can certainly group

Tuconots
    I've got 11 war/clr been sort of waiting on friends to roll here but they aren't showing too much promise. I'm totally down for scheduled groups.

Tuconots
    Decided to start back up my War/Sham duo. If anyone is in the level 30-35 range keep an eye out for Squishem and Tearia. I normally play after 10pm EST and I'm willing to go pretty much anywhere.

Tuconots
    Right before I get to character selection window, it gives me that black "You have been disconnected" screen. Anyone have a clue how I fix this?

Tuconots
    Your eqw.dll file is getting caught by your antivirus, you pretty much have to disable everything to play EQmac.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by fifey View Post
    Your eqw.dll file is getting caught by your antivirus, you pretty much have to disable everything to play EQmac.
    Is that what it definitely is? I tried to disable everything.

One issue I'm having is that my computer is 64 bit, but editing the ini file to 64 won't work.
    Specifically:
    VideoModeBitsPerPixel=
    BitsPerPixel=

I save them to 64, but if I exit the file and come back in, they are back to 32.

Edit: Disabled avast, even turned off windows firewall, still getting the issue.

Edit 2: Turns out that avast had deleted the .dll file, I recopied it over - success!
    Last edited by Shlauwbax; 12-21-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Shlauwbax View Post
    Edit: Disabled avast, even turned off windows firewall, still getting the issue.

Edit 2: Turns out that avast had deleted the .dll file, I recopied it over - success!
    And that's how FoH gave me a virus.

Tuconots
    reinstalling eqmac, will be sending a tell to some of y'all when i load in.

ITS GAME TIME

Tuconots
    reinstalling eqmac, will be sending a tell to some of y'all when i load in.

ITS GAME TIME
    /applaud Still havent played shit in days. Kinda made a bet with wife/busy working on side projects. I did get my druid to 14 on eq mac so i could sow a hommie. well see.

Tuconots
    well im about to have surgery so ill be on my ass even more often then usual for awhile

Tuconots
    In game on "Swampfeet" hit me up pals

Also anyone know why my UI keeps resetting? Shits annoying pals, on PC hack obv.
    Last edited by Swagdaddy; 12-22-2012 at 03:25 AM.

Tuconots
    Swag what is your in-game name and class

Banned
    Tuconots
    In game on "Swampfeet" hit me up pals

Also anyone know why my UI keeps resetting? Shits annoying pals, on PC hack obv.
    I started too, my UI seems to be ok although I get an error message in red every time I zone, but it seems to have no ill effects so far. Did you follow the instructions on page 1 carefully? They are kinda complicated and so easy to make a little mistake.

Tuconots
    Swag what is your in-game name and class
    Swampfeet / BST

I started too, my UI seems to be ok although I get an error message in red every time I zone, but it seems to have no ill effects so far. Did you follow the instructions on page 1 carefully? They are kinda complicated and so easy to make a little mistake.
    Yeah I followed them exactly. poweroftwo UI ftw.

Banned
    Tuconots
    Ohhh you are using a custom UI. That looks nice!! I might have to try that myself.

Tuconots
    It's alright, kinda sucks though you cant change the sizes of the UI boxes. Large improvement over the default though.

Tuconots
    velious UI or die

Banned
    Tuconots
    "Spell recovery time not yet met." really sucks. Other than that, this is cool as hell.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Shlauwbax View Post
    Is that what it definitely is? I tried to disable everything.

One issue I'm having is that my computer is 64 bit, but editing the ini file to 64 won't work.
    Specifically:
    VideoModeBitsPerPixel=
    BitsPerPixel=

I save them to 64, but if I exit the file and come back in, they are back to 32.

That is video bits, not memory... It must be set to 32 for both. 64bit video doesnt exist for everquest. Its only 16 or 32.

Banned
    Tuconots
    Is the server pretty laggy? Or is it just me.

Tuconots
    WTS lvl 65 toon nearly maxed aa's ....all keys, 97% of flags for elemental planes. Great gear

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Toogood View Post
    WTS lvl 65 toon nearly maxed aa's ....all keys, 97% of flags for elemental planes. Great gear
    loser

Tuconots
    Is the server pretty laggy? Or is it just me.
    yeah I get that feeling too, usually only feel that way though when I swing around my mouselook at high speeds.

Tuconots
    Has anybody found a remedy to the client lag issue when using the PC hack? My enchanters just turned 44, so I'm starting to PBAoE; and even with small pulls of a dozen or so, I'm getting what looks like packet loss on the latency meter in the corner. I haven't tried larger pulls just yet, but when I'm higher level I'm going to want to pull a lot more, and if I'm getting packet loss with less than a dozen, it kind of worries me.

Tuconots
    i get less lag here than p99, i also zone fast as hell. not sure whaddup

Tuconots
    It has nothing to do with the server. The PC client hack just sort of chokes when a lot of data is sent to the client. You wouldn't see it unless you were raiding or AoEing a lot of mobs.

Tuconots
    Meh, I play in OSX and it's laggy as fuck still. Packet loss is very common. Never go LD but spells will lag now and then.

Banned
    Tuconots
    The lag is my only issue with this. It's especially bad when I'm boxing lots of characters because sometimes I will be running and then turn and some of my boxes keep running past me and don't turn etc.. Sucks. It's also dangerous in combat because most of the time I just can't spam any spells because it will give me the "Spell recovery time not yet met." which you should never get. And it's clear to see how bad it is when I use my auto follow macro. On my boxes I have /target Mytank and then /follow. It never worked because it tried to trigger the follow command before it even targeted the tank. So I had to put a pause command in between, and even with Pause 3 it still sometimes fails to work because just targeting my tank takes like 5 seconds sometimes.

I wondered about trying the second Al Kabor server maybe. There is also that old Datarate thing you can change but I'll do that soon.

But at least it's just about playable for now. And I love the game. Playing the original EQ before it got lamed up is great, and being able to do it with as many boxes as I want is just amazing... Love it.

Tuconots
    I've been 6 boxing and I don't notice the lag you describe. My autofollow works fine. It doesn't take 5 seconds to target something. (isn't that client side anyway?) I do get the occasional 1-2 second delay before spells begin casting though, but I've been PBAoEing pulls of 20ish and not dying, so it's not been killing me. (what kills me is the fucking mob warping and leashing. makes me yearn for p99's pathing) My /assist player /cast 1 macros work fine. I'm using the PC client with datarate set at 9.

The "spell recovery time not yet met" error is because the server refuses to let players cast a spell too fast after a previous cast. Probably as an anti-hacking/exploiting measure. Everybody gets it if they chain cast low cast time spells. (such as tash, or level 1 nukes)

Banned
    Tuconots
    Ahh thanks. Well maybe I'll try datarate 9 and see if that helps too. I also wouldn't mind getting rid of the 'alt getting stuck down' issue whenever I alt tab. I get that in some other games too but it can be a nuisance.

Tuconots
    Only issue I share with you qwert is the stupid alt thing. I agree the server has been great so far.

Banned
    Tuconots
    Yeah it's a pain. It happens in other games too which makes me think it might be something fixable in windows.

Tuconots
    If you use your EQW hotkey to swap windows instead of alt+tab you won't have your alt key getting stuck down. I just have mine re-bound to my ~ key and I can swap around much easier, never have the stuck button issue anymore either.

Thread Information