Can confirm FTL is awesome.
Best: Dishonored, X-Com
Most Surprising: FTL
FTL is 40% off this weekend on Steam. Give it a shot if you haven't!
Can confirm FTL is awesome.
Dragon's Dogma was pretty close to the best game I played this year, and for sure the most surprising.
Tell me more about FTL...
As for the games I played this year:
Most disappointing: Diablo 3
Most addictive: Rage of Bahamut
Most recent: Fallen Enchantress
Yeah, I think that is all I've really played this year. Fuck full-time school+full-time job.
Games I spent the most time playing - toss up between Dota 2 and Starcraft 2
Games I expected to like and delivered - Torchlight 2 and Guildwars 2
Impulse buys that I recommended to all my friends - Mark of the Ninja
Games that I feel tainted their franchise - Max Payne 3 and Diablo 3
Least expected release - Black Mesa Source
I sense a pattern here ...
I didnt think dishonored was that great.... complete mission go to bed, wake up go to new mission different setting same guards blah.
Games that surprised me:
- Torchlight 2: A couple of friends had to drag me to this game and I'm glad they did.
- Tekken Tag 2: During the Tekken 3 and Tag days I travelled to tournaments regularly, but after Tekken 4 I never really got back into it. Tag 2 has me by the balls though. Even called in sick to play it and that hasn't happened with any fighter in a long, long time. Great game.
Games that I liked:
- Final Fantasy XIII-2: I guess playing a FF game is more of a habit for me now than anything else but I liked this one at least.
- Max Payne 3: Multiplayer is a lot of fun too.
- Assassin's Creed 3: Knew exactly what I could expect going in and it delivered.
- Crusader Kings II: Put a couple hundred hours in this gem and still play it.
- XCOM: It was pretty good but a bit too easy once you get to the end-game. Even on the harder difficulties.
Games that ended up dissappointing:
- StreetFighter x Tekken: Broken game.
- Ninja Gaiden 3: No Itagaki did hurt. I expected more from Hayashi since the PS3 Sigma ports were quite good.
- Diablo 3: Much has already been said about this game so I won't add any more.
There's a long list of games I still haven't played though such as Far Cry 3, Resident Evil 6 and Dishonored. Too much work leaves too little time!
Chivalry and Natural Selection 2 were nice surprises. Just started Far Cry 3 and that is pretty damn good, surprisingly so.
Chivalry was an impulse buy and it delivers on fun. The amount of laugh out loud and WTF moments per match is ridiculous. It is too bad there isn't much progression or longevity to it.
diablo 3 biggest failure of my life gaming wise..... was really hoping this would be the end all of gaming for me, as i was so addicted to D2.
FTL I just have to say is going to take a lot of my time. It's just fun.
Best: Crusader Kings II
Surprising: GW2 (because I'm still playing it against all my predictions)
Meh: Diablo III, Mass Effect III (uninspired sequels)
had to google what FTL even was. buying it now
FTL is both my surprising and best. Oh, how I'll fondly recall the adventures of Captain Rick and his Mantis boarding squad...before I accidentally fired a Glaive beam and roasted them all alive...
In your expert gamer opinion:
1) What is the best game of 2012? (and why?)
2) What is the most surprising game of 2012? (and why?)
1) Torchlight 2 - This is how an heir to D2 should be: Fun, addictive, humorous and the loot. Oh, the loot. How could blizzard not deliver on this in D3?
2) FTL - Fun retro and surprisingly addictive.
Last edited by Izo; 12-12-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Best would be Far Cry 3, hands down. It's just god damned awesome and fun.
Most Surprising would be Final Fantasy XIII-2. It is a fantastic RPG and one of the best I've played in a long time. Unlike FF13, it is a truly good game. It has great level design, a Chrono Trigger like Time Gates system, monster party member raising, and a fully unlocked Job system from the get go. It's better than FF13 in every way and I really encourage anyone who was turned off by FF13's extreme linearity and closed options to give this game the shot it deserves.
I played mostly games from my seemingly infinite backlog, but out of the 2012 things I played the stand out game was Journey. Most original online implementation since Demon's Souls, generates an extremely broad spectrum of emotions, fluff free, supremely tight gameplay and gorgeous. Some design and narrative choices can be debated, but the execution of these choices is masterful. One of the best games I ever played.
assassin's creed 3 and journey are my favorites of 2012
1) I know Dark Souls came out in 2011, but I didn't play it until 2012 and it is probably one of my favorite games of all time. If I had to pick a game that was released in 2012 right now I'd have to say Farcry 3.
2) The WiiU in general. After the Wii I didn't have any hopes at all for the WiiU, but after playing it and buying one, I have played it almost every night since it's release. Just got 100% completion in NSMBU.
PSN - Vithe | WiiU - VitheU | Steam - WiZZiE82 | battle.net - Vithe#1343
Yeah, my bad for starting number two - Carry on, good people of RR
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)