Thread: Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell

Tuconots

Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell

New standalone expansion for Saints Row IV. Loved IV and this looks awesome too. Gat and Kinzie are the main characters this time. It's going to be 20 by itself (PS3/PS4,360/Xbone,PC) on Jan 20, 2015 or come in the new compilation for PS4/Xbone for 50 with all the DLC available.

Also you get a recliner chair as a weapon that shoots rockets and has gatling guns on it.

saints-row-gat-out-of-hell-gatling-chair-100411284-large.jpg
    Last edited by joz123; 11-11-2014 at 02:30 AM.

Tuconots
    Fuck yeah more Gat and more Kinzie.

Tuconots
    Also on PC, the only platform that matters.

Tuconots
    Awesome. Think the last one was the X-mas episode. Pretty fun.

A couple months ago Jay Mohr had said he'd done some voice work for the next Saints Row, a lot of folks assumed it was Saints Row V. Makes more sense this way.

Tuconots
    i had no idea until recently that the korean dude from lost - Jin - (and now on hawaii 5-0) is the dude who voices gat

still i thought SR3 was better than 4

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by spronk View Post
    still i thought SR3 was better than 4
    I doubt anyone would argue that. In retrospect I think the reason the superpowers in sr3 were so awesome came from their limited availability and contrast to what you are doing most of the rest of the game. SR4 just had no point to any of the cars or most of the weapons really, it was a bit sad.

Tuconots
    Day one purchase. And it better have the obvious song in it, too.

Tuconots
    as has been talked about before, SR4 was originally a dlc for SR3. which is why the you got super powers so quickly and why the vehicles were next to worthless. you were already supposed to have played an entire game with the vehicles. it's a double-edged sword in that i'm glad they took the time and made it a completely fleshed out, full gaming experience. however, now we have entire game mechanics that are completely overshadowed and never used 2 hours into the game.

Tuconots
    SR4 is better than SR3 for me if only because SR4 was a new take on an old genre, while SR3 was just a refinement of an already refined genre.
    Want to play the next big MMO with us? check out Black Desert Online

Tuconots
    same here. also, I just feel that the absurdity of the whole thing was so sky high that while I missed just the pure driving aspects, it didn't matter because of how ridiculous it was. I completely understand people liking SR3 better because it was more grounded, but my personal preference is that the GTA games are all pretty similar. SR seems to be the only series that just simply doesn't care about sticking to the rules.

Tuconots
    SR4 had a movie quality feel, plus it brought back Gat in the first place. He was sorely missed in SR3 imo.

The mute scene where you're watching the Boss and CID on the video and CID zaps the Boss in the nuts kills me every time. So much humor in SR4, and it felt like a movie.

Tuconots
    Sr3 was better than 4 in many ways (story especially) but both games were goty canditdates on the sheer fun level. so this should be awesome. A more grounded focus than 4 would be nice, but I fell in love with the world of 3/4, so I'm up for anything really.

Tuconots
    Is there a video of the QA session they did with Volition at PAX? Can't find it.

Tuconots
    Just realised this hasn't been posted yet:

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by j00t View Post
    same here. also, I just feel that the absurdity of the whole thing was so sky high that while I missed just the pure driving aspects, it didn't matter because of how ridiculous it was. I completely understand people liking SR3 better because it was more grounded, but my personal preference is that the GTA games are all pretty similar. SR seems to be the only series that just simply doesn't care about sticking to the rules.
    I agree. I love GTA and enjoy SR but its gotten a little over board on the crazy. They have great characters and ideas for SR, I think they can tone down the crazy a little so its not so over board yet still SR.

Tuconots
    Hehe I think the crazy is a one way street.
    Want to play the next big MMO with us? check out Black Desert Online

Tuconots
    I'm sure this will be just like SR4 since it's an expansion, but I would kill for SR5 to go back to the style of SR2 (before the series turned into a parody of itself). I still consider that game to be the best in the genre by a huge margin.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorph View Post
    I'm sure this will be just like SR4 since it's an expansion, but I would kill for SR5 to go back to the style of SR2 (before the series turned into a parody of itself). I still consider that game to be the best in the genre by a huge margin.
    Maybe this one will end with the main character waking up from a dream and all the shit going back to normal. I honestly wouldn't mind.
    Nintendo ID: DellyDeez
    Diablo III, Overwatch, and HotS - Delly#1309

Tuconots
    Oh my goodness.

Tuconots
    bravo.

Tuconots
    hahaha that was awesome

i know gat is coming out on consoles, i wonder if they are gonna remaster SR4 and release that too

Tuconots
    Ya that was great. Man there are a ton of people living in the past saying the series has been shit since 2. I prefer the ultra unrealistic stylized ones more than the GTA clones.

Tuconots
    I've only played the first two, but my impression is that most people prefer the zany nature of the series. I thought the third one is widely acclaimed as the best.

Tuconots
    Gat Out of Hell for 5 dollars on PC

The expansion only is 5 bucks for PC on Gamestop.com for now, don't know for how long.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by joz123 View Post
    Gat Out of Hell for 5 dollars on PC

The expansion only is 5 bucks for PC on Gamestop.com for now, don't know for how long.
    Fuck it, US downloads only

Shiny
    Tuconots
    I have to admit, I don't know why I love the Saint's Row franchise (honestly, I'm a fucking MMO/RPG/JRPG/Rogue/4c guy for the most part) but for some damned reason it amuses the hell out of me.

I should really just buy one of their stupid $400 packs -not on sale- for how much fun I've had playing their games though. If they did a donate button I'd likely throw cash at them just because.

Tuconots
    I've played them out of order. I picked up SR4 a few months ago on one of the sales and got about 20% through the game. I was loving it so I decided to pick up SR3 when a co-worker suggested it was better. I loved it and pretty much agree with them that 3 was better than 4. With that said, there are parts of 4 that I like but I wish the super powers were only limited to movement. I picked up 2 tonight and Gat Out of Hell. Overall I'm loving the humor in the franchise and I find the games fun.

Tuconots
    Got a weird "Oops this product is no longer available for purchase!" error while checking out, but in the end it still let me buy it. It's probably a pricing error, but hopefully they don't cancel the preorders.

As for the franchise, 2 is by far the best and easily one of my favorite games of all time. That said, the PC version is an abomination even today, but if you're willing to jump through hoops to make it run correctly on Windows 7+ and install it to a SSD to ensure that the terribly optimized engine can load in data when you're driving at high speeds across the city then it will play fine.

3 was disappointing because there was less of everything good about 2, and the black humor was mostly replaced with more juvenile fare. 4 was [literally] just more of the same, with superpowers replacing the need for guns or cars for the majority of the game. Still good games, just not anywhere close to being on the same level as SR2. That's pretty much what I expect from Gat Out of Hell too.

Here's to hoping that SR5 goes back to the series' roots.

Tuconots
    As for the franchise, 2 is by far the best and easily one of my favorite games of all time. That said, the PC version is an abomination even today, but if you're willing to jump through hoops to make it run correctly on Windows 7+ and install it to a SSD to ensure that the terribly optimized engine can load in data when you're driving at high speeds across the city then it will play fine.
    IdolNinja's Saints Row 2 Modding and Game Development

Gentlemen of the Row (mostly) fixes the SR2 PC port and then adds a bunch of new stuff on top as well.

Tuconots
    Got a weird "Oops this product is no longer available for purchase!" error while checking out, but in the end it still let me buy it. It's probably a pricing error, but hopefully they don't cancel the preorders.

3 was disappointing because there was less of everything good about 2, and the black humor was mostly replaced with more juvenile fare. 4 was [literally] just more of the same, with superpowers replacing the need for guns or cars for the majority of the game. Still good games, just not anywhere close to being on the same level as SR2. That's pretty much what I expect from Gat Out of Hell too.

Here's to hoping that SR5 goes back to the series' roots.
    How can 2 be the best if it doesn't have Kinzie? Your argument is invalid.

Tuconots
    Vorph is just a grumpy octogenarian.

They'll never go back to the series roots. The sillier shit in SR2 was what made them stand apart from other GTA clones which is why they embraced it with SR3 and forward. There are tons of serious GTA clones on the market if you want to play one, there's no need for yet another.
    Draegan is a faggoty piece of shit who sold the forum to mmorpg.com just to spite us. Register at the new site.

ReReRolled.org - A Gaming Community

Tuconots
    I really hope they do time travel and make the next one something like an Assassin's Creed parody.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Mist View Post
    I really hope they do time travel and make the next one something like an Assassin's Creed parody.
    Sounds pretty funny. Saints Row 5: Saints Creed.

Anyway the superpowered DLC from Saints Row 3 was really awesome and had me hoping they'd do something with it again, but I really didn't expect them to go full on superpowers the whole time in SR4. Would have been better if they toned the superpowers down just a tad.
    Draegan is a faggoty piece of shit who sold the forum to mmorpg.com just to spite us. Register at the new site.

Tuconots
    I think it's pretty obvious with how they've done DLC hinting at the next game (almost testing it to make sure it's liked before going whole hog with it) that the next full game will be supernatural like Gat out of Hell is.

Tuconots
    Eh, I thought they were going the time travel route with the epilogue from the main game.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Mist View Post
    Eh, I thought they were going the time travel route with the epilogue from the main game.
    Yea, but if you look at all the epilogues thusfar they have never taken the route they tend to imply. (SR2 implied "going back home to get back to business" - was a new city and wackiness in SR3 [of which I found Corporate Warfare to be more wacky than the rest of SR2], SR3 implied mayor of Steelport as the future not anything alien, yet the DLC did aliens and there was a dose of superpowers in the main game) But then they do a DLC that they choose to expand upon into a full game. They even said that's how their mindset for SR4 being superhero based came about.

Don't get me wrong, it's just my theory - but does seem like how they've operated historically. (SR3's influence from SR2 is much looser though admittedly - but that's also well before the new hands on the license)

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaclav View Post
    Yea, but if you look at all the epilogues thusfar they have never taken the route they tend to imply. (SR2 implied "going back home to get back to business" - was a new city and wackiness in SR3 [of which I found Corporate Warfare to be more wacky than the rest of SR2], SR3 implied mayor of Steelport as the future not anything alien, yet the DLC did aliens and there was a dose of superpowers in the main game) But then they do a DLC that they choose to expand upon into a full game. They even said that's how their mindset for SR4 being superhero based came about.

Don't get me wrong, it's just my theory - but does seem like how they've operated historically. (SR3's influence from SR2 is much looser though admittedly - but that's also well before the new hands on the license)
    New hands on the license? Saints Row has stayed with Volition. THQ didn't tell them what to do with Saints Row and neither does Deep Silver.

Tuconots
    You've been around gaming long enough to know the publishers do influence things with their properties some, Gav. (*cough* EA, although not so much recently) Regardless, it's tangential to my theory - their own recent history has been following it closely - odds are they'd be more like their last 5 years than almost a decade ago.

Tuconots
    Dude I used to work at Volition. They were THQ's flagship studio and look like they're Deep Silver's premier studio too. Smaller publishers have a lot less influence over their studios than big publishers like EA. Saints Row is also an established franchise. THQ had a lot more input on Red Faction, and you can see how that turned out.

Tuconots
    Neat, didn't realize - and absolutely the smaller the publisher the more free reign generally given - I didn't think that the recent "hinting at next game" methods they've used have had anything to do with it anyhow. Was more of an aside.

But I'm sure you've still got a friend or two you could get something more in depth once it's properly in the works anyhow. Whereas I'm working with just my own silly theories, unless you've not kept any contacts I'm sure you could find something out and their actual thoughts behind how to do things anyhow.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinmad View Post
    Vorph is just a grumpy octogenarian.

They'll never go back to the series roots. The sillier shit in SR2 was what made them stand apart from other GTA clones which is why they embraced it with SR3 and forward. There are tons of serious GTA clones on the market if you want to play one, there's no need for yet another.
    Black humor isn't the same as serious. Trying to be too serious gets you a game like GTA IV, and that's the last thing I'd ever want from Saints Row. Plus, SR2's silly shit was a hell of a lot funnier than anything in 3 or 4. I've never laughed so hard at a video game as I did the first time through SR2 doing the septic truck missions. 3 and 4 have their moments, sure, but the writing for 2 was on a whole different level.

And I've played pretty much every GTA clone out there. SR2 is like the Planescape: Torment of sandbox games; nothing else in the genre can even remotely compete.
    Last edited by Vorph; 01-19-2015 at 07:19 PM.

Banned
    Tuconots
    Despite owning SR2, I've heard it was completely overshadowed in every way by SR3, so I haven't played it (just like I have no intention of playing Far Cry 1 or 2 after playing 3). I did, however, love the over-the-top ridiculousness of SR3 & 4, so I'm not sure if it would be worth my time going back to something a little more "reserved". I gotta say, after Vorph's description, I wonder if I'm missing out. GOOH looks like a lot of fun too, but just like SR4 I'll probably wait until I can get it for a few bucks on Steam.

Tuconots
    $5 from game stop digital was floating around

Tuconots
    Will Djanger Powers on Twitter: (DeepSilver PR guy)

So don't expect to get an email with a key from Gamestop this morning.

Registered User Necrath Evilcraft's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Well if they aren't honoring them why was my paypal account charged yesterday?

Tuconots
    I have a pending charge of $5 that was charged yesterday as well. I have a feeling they'll be canceling these en masse.

Have a feeling I should just cancel it.
    Last edited by RhoA; 01-20-2015 at 05:47 PM.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    A bunch of people have gotten codes from Gamestop now so that PR guy was full of it. Isn't it up to Gamestop anyway whether the orders are honored or not?

Tuconots
    i got my gamestop code and i also got my order from bestbuy for the PS4 edition, gonna play the ps4 version and trade it in asap and keep the steam version for my legacy

Tuconots
    Got my gamestop code as well.

Tuconots
    Yep, apparently Gamestop decided to eat the loss for their pricing error rather than piss off a bunch of people. Keys seem to be going out slowly because they didn't have enough to cover all the orders their mistake brought in, but I did just get mine a few minutes ago.
    Last edited by Vorph; 01-20-2015 at 08:56 PM.

Thread Information