Thread: Hell on Wheels

Tuconots

Hell on Wheels

John Wirth Set As Showrunner Of ‘Hell On Wheels’, Series To Proceed With 3rd Season

Got a 3rd season pick up. New Showrunner though. Will be interesting to see where they take it considering the season finale.

Tuconots
    just marathoned through season 1 & 2, damn this is a great show. The Swede is one motherfucking crazy ass scary villain. Definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it, while maybe not as great as Deadwood it has some very cool characters.

and damn: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_Oatman
    Last edited by spronk; 01-03-2013 at 05:20 AM.

Tuconots
    Yea, Swede is one of the better bad guys on a show Ive seen in a while. Really good show!

Tuconots
    Starts again Saturday at 8. Looking forward to seeing what the show runners can do.

Tuconots
    I liked the first two seasons but not the finale so much. I was looking forward to seeing Bohanan and Lily running the railroad together.

I hope this season doesn't suck.

Tuconots
    I didn't like the finale that much either but over all I've really liked the series.

Tuconots
    I fucking love this show. Cannot wait to see how the Swede starts disrupting things now that he is a full on crazy person now.

Quick Edit: How can they start this back up on a Saturday night? That seems like a guaranteed way to get less viewers than they did when it was on Sunday nights. I hope that it is just because they couldn't have a 2 hour season premier with Breaking Bad starting on Sunday.
    Last edited by OUAriakas; 08-09-2013 at 02:55 PM.
    Draegan's bitch ass sold us out to MMORPG.com

Exodus underway to ReReRolled.org - A Gaming Community

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by OUAriakas View Post
    I fucking love this show. Cannot wait to see how the Swede starts disrupting things now that he is a full on crazy person now.

Quick Edit: How can they start this back up on a Saturday night? That seems like a guaranteed way to get less viewers than they did when it was on Sunday nights. I hope that it is just because they couldn't have a 2 hour season premier with Breaking Bad starting on Sunday.
    From what I read they were trying to make an entire theme day, so they are going to show western's all day leading up to Hell on Wheel's. It may or may not work

Tuconots
    On a side note, I spent the first few episode wondering in what other movie/show the actor playing Bohannan was until I realized he just reminded me of Dominic 'McNulty' West... am I crazy or?

Tuconots
    wow, I thought this show was on hiatus for a long time, glad to hear its back. Ehh, he acts more like McNulty than looks like him. I read the reason Lily isn't coming back is that she wanted off the show, which kinda sucks but was definitely an interesting way to go.

I can't see this show lasting more than another season though, its gotta be expensive to make and i can't imagine its all that popular.

Tuconots
    Pretty good season opener. I was sorry to see the police chief didn't last long, he was an interesting character. I'm guessing that the Mormons aren't thrilled with their portrayal.

I can't remember what happened to the Indian guy that was dating the church lady. Did he die? Maybe I should have watched the marathon last weekend.

Tuconots
    Joseph went back to his people I think. Not a bad opening, I like the way things are being setup.

Tuconots
    Just started cuZ I couldn't sleep but am really impressed with the first ten episodes. They handle some deep issues pretty well and the overall arc is great. Not sure how I missed this show. I'm sure it'll get bad like all shows that string it out but definitely a recommendable show so far.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Arative View Post
    Joseph went back to his people I think. Not a bad opening, I like the way things are being setup.
    Ya at the end of season two he was like white folk be crazy and went back to his people.

Tuconots
    So just based on native American history we can assume that turned out awesome.

Make America's Team great again Hoss's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Never saw the show, just saw a commercial for it, but someone help me out. It's a western right? Where do the wheels come from? I thought the phrase hell on wheels usually referred to motorcycle gangs. Shouldn't it be hell on the hoof?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    Never saw the show, just saw a commercial for it, but someone help me out. It's a western right? Where do the wheels come from? I thought the phrase hell on wheels usually referred to motorcycle gangs. Shouldn't it be hell on the hoof?
    The show is centered around building the first transcontinental railroad and the name of the town that moves with the workers across the country is Hell on Wheels.

Registered User CalhoonJugganaut's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Pretty good start to this season thus far. I've only watched the episodes On Demand so not sure if they are actually on Episode 2 or 3. I've watched 3 but the first two were bundled together for a 2 hour slot. I don't like the fact they have it on Saturday nights now rather than Sundays.

Tuconots
    To add to what Arative said. It's a western but more in the vein of deadwood/frontier show than a typical spaghetti western.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithose View Post
    To add to what Arative said. It's a western but more in the vein of deadwood/frontier show than a typical spaghetti western.
    I don't get this distinction.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by BrutulTM View Post
    I don't get this distinction.
    Mainly just settings. Typical westerns portrayed "The West" as hard desert country, with little oasis/mining towns where gun fighters fought. The ultimate examples of that were the Spaghetti Westerns which were made in the hot, sparse hills of Italy. The reality is, most of "The West" was actually forested or plains, and was wet and grimey.

Also, from a character standpoint, in a frontier story there is usually less emphasis on the "man with no name" (The Gunfighter) and more on the town itself, because the story isn't "his" story, but a story about how the town deals with the existing outside the law and safety of society (There is usually a "Gunfighter" IN a frontier story though). While in a classic/spaghetti, it's all about "The Gunfighter" and how he deals with the town itself.

Tuconots
    If you ask me Bohanan is very much like a Clint Eastwood character.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by BrutulTM View Post
    If you ask me Bohanan is very much like a Clint Eastwood character.
    Sure, the "gun fighter" is almost always there (And even modern day Westerns, like Justified, use the Eastwood "man with no name" outline). Bullock or Bohanan fit it but the main difference between these two types of westerns (My opinion) just the emphasis on his story, as opposed to an emphasis on the town. In other words, in a "frontier" western you could argue the place, not the gunfighter, is the most important aspect of the story--and the story becomes about how the place affects (Changes) the gunfighter. But in a typical Western (Especially Spaghetti), it's almost always the gunfighter's actions which are important (The town's problems are a backdrop for his personality)--so he remains the same and has an effect on the place. But it's not an exact science (A lot of the precepts meld), it's just a bit of genre shifting.
    Last edited by Lithose; 08-22-2013 at 02:25 AM.

Tuconots
    This week's episode sort of felt like filler to me. The trading with the indians subplot was a rip-off of Jeremiah Johnson right down to the old trapper character. The only difference was that the indians had learned stickball instead of Christianity and the trapper got married instead of Bohanan. Also, it was kind of dumb that their version of stickball was just beating each other to death with sticks. Why not just have them fight to the death if that's what it really was all along?

The newspaper lady sort of feels like they're trying to bring back Lily with a new character, which I guess I'm okay with because I liked Lily.

I liked the first couple episodes but I hope this isn't going to go off the rails (Get it? Off the rails?).

Tuconots
    Don't watch this show, so I don't know if they portrayed it accurately, but that "stickball" sounds like baggataway, which meant little brother of war (in some indian language, I'm not sure which). Children grew up playing the game to prepare for war. In the Iroquois nation, and possibly in other areas, they actually used it as a substitute for going to war with neighboring tribes. It was common for people to die in the real matches where the tribes would place large wagers. Some europeans (french monks I think) saw the game and named it lacrosse, and that's what it's called today.

Now I might need to start watching this show.

Tuconots
    That whole stickball thing sounded too absurd for it to not be based on some sort of historical truth!

Tuconots
    Don't watch this show, so I don't know if they portrayed it accurately, but that "stickball" sounds like baggataway, which meant little brother of war (in some indian language, I'm not sure which). Children grew up playing the game to prepare for war. In the Iroquois nation, and possibly in other areas, they actually used it as a substitute for going to war with neighboring tribes. It was common for people to die in the real matches where the tribes would place large wagers. Some europeans (french monks I think) saw the game and named it lacrosse, and that's what it's called today.

Now I might need to start watching this show.
    That's very interesting and it does seem similar to the game that they were playing. I thought they said in the show that they learned it from some white people but it could have been from some other indians. This match was 3 on 3 though and the indians made pretty much no attempt to actually play the game, they were just trying to kill the other guys. It was all very contrived though, and I hate it when they put characters that you know are not going to die in situations where you have to think that they could die for there to be tension. When Bohanan and Elam were on the pyre everybody knew that they were not going to kill off the main characters of the show in a one episode subplot and there was going to be some cheesy intervention and of course there was.

Tuconots
    Then you missed the point. It wasnt tension to make you think they were going to die. It was to it them on the edge of death so bohannon could reach out to god and be ignored. There's been a theme of redemption with god this season.

Tuconots
    Im confused, was bohnam ignored by God? I thought brutul said he didn't die.

Tuconots
    Yeah He prayed for help from God and none came, the savior was the old man marrying the indian chick. Then when he went to church he said to the church lady that god ignored him.

I think the theme of the season is going to be him finding redemption and forgiveness from god for all the killing he has done.

Registered User CalhoonJugganaut's Avatar
    Tuconots
    I thought Elam was going to become a rapper?

Tuconots
    Wow! What an awesome episode this week. I love this show and it keeps getting better.

Tuconots
    The Grant character was kind off nice interacting with Bohannon, and the scene when he just shot that soldier's brother reminds everyone he's a sociopath. But in my opinion the Elam arc is becoming boring quite fast, not caring about him and his family is coming to a trend...

Tuconots
    Another good season. This show is pretty underrated.

Tuconots
    I thought the Finale was a big Fart in the Kitchen

Tuconots
    I liked it. Set up next season nicely and the Swed is great lol

Tuconots
    Just totally random. Now hes a mormon living with a pregant teenager....Just came out of left field. Not sure how I feel about it.

Tuconots
    The Swede was a great character the first season. He was the perfect counter-weight to Bohannon - Bad-ass with the character history to support it. When he did a complete 180 as the crazy weirdo junk-man which totally belied the history we learned of him in Season 1, I was like, meh, ok, whatevs, and was happy when he finally met his end. But they just had to bring him back, this time as a mormon bishop?

Seriously, he's the worst part of the show.

Tuconots
    Lol I can't disagree more. I love the swede lol. The part with the knife and dinner was great.

I will say I hope he gets killed mid way thru next season. I don't want them to drag him out a whole season.

Tuconots
    It felt like they tried to wrap the show before someone said "wait, let's keep some season 4 door open here !".

Tuconots
    I wasn't too big on the main storyline but it was okay. Elam's storyline on the other hand, was pointless and retarded. They might as well have just had him act out the "Guy on a Buffalo" storyline.

Tuconots
    Season 4 Renewal: AMC Renews Drama - TVLine

Renewed for a 13 episode season 4!

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Arative View Post
    Season 4 Renewal: AMC Renews Drama - TVLine

Renewed for a 13 episode season 4!
    I hate the Swede. Love the show, and hope the make a whore-house spin-off.

Tuconots
    Coming back on August 4th. It may be campy, but god damn I love this show.
    Draegan's bitch ass sold us out to MMORPG.com

Exodus underway to ReReRolled.org - A Gaming Community

Tuconots
    I liked the swede all the way up until he became the Mormon leader. Each version of him has been creepy/weird. The Mormon leader just was too much though. Hope he dies early this season. For real this time.

Tuconots
    Last season was pretty wacky and the black dude's storyline was just ridiculous. That said, I deeply love westerns and they are few and far between so you better believe I'm in for next season.

Tuconots
    Trying to plow through this in time for the 4th season to start here in a few weeks. Really liked the first season, and I'm in the middle of season 2 and its decent so far, but how many times are they going to do the whole "Bohannon has to flee the railroad into the wilderness" but then he somehow quickly ends back up working for them again. They've already pulled that card a couple times, I hope they don't rely on it too much, because it's a tad ridiculous.

I think my expectations were a tad too high going into this, a fried told me it was as good as Deadwood, and it's not, but it's still pretty entertaining in it's own right. Love the Swede, he's a nut.

Tuconots
    It's nowhere near as good as Deadwood, and a couple of plot lines go full retard at various points, but it's still a decent show with some very interesting characters. In fact I would say that the plot is generally its weak point but the characters keep it worth watching for me at least.

Tuconots
    The production values seem good. Its up and down but if you like Westerns its a must.

Tuconots
    Trivia-The character Eva is based on the real life Olive Oatman. Here's some pictures I took last month in Oatman, AZ, a town named after her. The place is overrun with wild burro.

IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_0472a.jpg

Tuconots
    This starts tonight

Tuconots
    Started watching tonight, the dialogue is awful.

Does it get better?

Tuconots
    Marathoned through season 3 & the first 3 episodes of new season 4. Lots of head shaking, "uh... ok..." moments, like when a posse of 8 Mormon farmers manage to basically take over a town that apparently has maids and barkeeps but nobody with a gun. Or Bohannan constantly deciding he really needs to get his ass kicked.

Definitely a show that has more downs than ups, its still kinda fun to watch and lets face it there aren't any other westerns out there. But yeah, you can't honestly say its a good show, its just ... not very bad. If you didn't like a random episode its not going to get that much better.

Did Common take off to get back to his rap career or something? His character was retarded, but it was still fun to see the crazy ass negro fighting whitey and the system. I sorta get the feeling he is healing up with the injuns, but that is a storyline I really do not want to see.

The biggest surprise frankly is that its still on the air, I really can't imagine a whole lotta people are watching it, especially on saturday nights and in the summertime.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by spronk View Post
    just marathoned through season 1 & 2, damn this is a great show. The Swede is one motherfucking crazy ass scary villain. Definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it, while maybe not as great as Deadwood it has some very cool characters.

and damn: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_Oatman
    Thanks for that link, I think they've used her story in a lot of old westerns.

Only just started watching series 1 so I can't read most of this thread for a while yet, but am I seeing things. This sure looks like someone who's made a few movies, episode 1. Looks more like him when it's playing, I only just out found I can take a snapshot.

vlcsnap-2014-09-04-19h40m18s4.jpgvlcsnap-2014-09-04-19h41m23s196.jpg

Tuconots
    Starts again tonight for the rest of season 4. Also has been renewed for a 5th and final season airing summer of 2015 and 2016
    AMC Renews for Final Season | Variety

Tuconots
    i'm surprised anyone else still watches the show i like it but its definitely got its ups and downs. a lot of downs...

Tuconots
    What a fucking bummer of an episode this week. That said, it was really beautifully done and I'm not sure that I've ever seen the thing with the hanging from the perspective of the person being hanged before.

Also, AMC is fucking gay as usual for doing the thing with the final season being spread out over 2 years.

Tuconots
    Season 5 started on saturday, pretty damn good so far. They are using the Chinese labor as a central story line and its fascinating, don't think I've ever seen the topic really given the full attention in any TV show. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

Tuconots
    returns tonight for the final 7 episodes of the show
    Exclusive Preview | Season 5 Episode 8

Tuconots
    first episode of new season was just turrrible, but second episode wasn't too bad and the gang are all finally back together now so hopefully we see some railroad action and showdowns and shit

Thread Information