Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Neverwinter

Tuconots

Neverwinter

Perfect World / Cryptic (same ones as STO - Star Trek Online and City of Heroes) FAQ states a release in early 2013. Like STO they are featuring their Foundry, a player driven content creation kit that can be used to publish your own adventures and campaigns. It will be a free-to-play MMO with a cash shop, much like their current models.

http://nw.perfectworld.com/

2013 Feb. Issue of PC Gamer for mount codes and exclusive interviews. Issues are $8.99 on the iPad newstand app or $8.99 at a book store (at least in my location)

Beta Weekend 1 - February 8-10:
    Hero of the North Founder's Pack purchasers
    Guardian of Neverwinter purchasers
    Hero of the North Friend Key

Beta Weekend 2 - March 8-10
    Torchlight 2 pre-orders
    RaiderZ Elite Pack purchasers
    Lifetime members of Champions Online and Star Trek Online.

Beta Weekend 3 - March 22-24
    Torchlight 2 pre-orders
    3vO4Ps.jpg UCItzs.jpg

----

Zones
    Neverwinter - Chasm Zone Trailer
    Spoiler: 

Blackdagger Ruins
    Spoiler: 

----

Class trailers
    Control Wizard - Role: Control Type
    Spoiler: 

Trickster Rogue - Role: Damage
    Spoiler: 

Guardian Fighter - Role: Defender
    Spoiler: 

Great Weapon Fighter - Role: Damage Dealer and Secondary Defender
    Spoiler: 

----

Races
    Drow Racial Preview
    Tiefling Racial Preview

Misc
    Character Creation Interview with MMORPG.COM
    - TL;DR
    Appearance customization options:
    Head Shape
    Hair (shape and color)
    Eyes (shape and color – some customizable per eye)
    Eyebrows (fineness and color)
    Facial Hair (shape and color)
    Skin complexion and color – old/tan, weathered/black, etc.
    (For certain races) Horn alignment
    Facial tattoos and their color
    Scar shapes
    Sliders for your facial dimensions – neck length, cheek size, etc.
    Sliders for your body dimensions – hand thickness, leg length, etc.
    ----

I'm not sure that this is my kind of playstyle for a DnD game but I am a fan of the series (DDO - pen and paper). I'll be following the game even though it hasn't struck me hard yet.
    Last edited by Friday; 03-04-2013 at 04:16 AM.

Tuconots
    Another class video:

Combat looks to be more action oriented since you use the mouse to attack, but the videos make it look fairly boring with everyone just sort of standing around while the enemies beat on you.

Tuconots
    I tried it out at e3 and the game seemed like absolute shit. Which is sad, because it's neverwinter, but not unexpected, because it's perfect world. I don't have high hopes for this game, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Tuconots
    Last video is overloaded with effects and and screen shaking, i can't imagine playing this. I kinda got sick while watching this.
    Also theres no distance, everything seams right in front.

What a shame to Neverwinter franchise :/

Tuconots
    I know it's not directly related to this, but playing the LOTR mod during the original NWN was some of the most fun times.

That said, the original NWN and NWN2 were pretty amazing in my book, I'll give this a shot since it's free, whenever I can get into beta and whatnot.

Tuconots
    Post a few more things in OP

Banned
    Tuconots
    sadface

Tuconots
    I really wish that this game isn't as big of a stinker as it is set up to be.

Tuconots
    $200 to be Drizzt... ouch

http://kotaku.com/5979599/neverwinte...an-play-drizzt

Those hungry for some hot renegade Dark Elf action can shell out $199.99 for the Hero of the North Founder's Pack. They'll score beta access, a five-day head start to the open beta, and the exclusive playable Menzoberranzan Renegade race, complete with special racial abilities, a tattoo, and a panther companion, just like a certain Drow ranger.

Tuconots
    Ah man, i forgot all about this turd. But it's Perfect World AND Cryptic, what a hilarious combination. If you ever run into a situation where that odd friend or colleague hears about mmos and wants you to play with him (but you seriously don't), you can play this together and you never see him again.

Tuconots
    Why do people make this crap? lol..sigh...lol

Tuconots
    $200 founders price... trying to cash in before the game dies. Always good.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by xzi View Post
    I know it's not directly related to this, but playing the LOTR mod during the original NWN was some of the most fun times.

That said, the original NWN and NWN2 were pretty amazing in my book, I'll give this a shot since it's free, whenever I can get into beta and whatnot.
    Original NWN kicked ass...all 16 colors of it on AOL.

The newer one that was 3D wasn't bad either ;P

Tuconots
    Oh god the voice in that video is so annoying. Do they really expect anyone to watch that and decide to blow $200 on a bunch of shitty items for a game that's going to flop?
    " I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"

Tuconots
    The only thing that intrigued me about this franchise was the possibility of making your own zones and such to play through with your friends like back in NWN. Now that I see who's making it, I'm guessing that will suck as well.

Tuconots
    I wanted to show my friend that hilarious fucking "founders pack" video from Kotaku on my phone at work via youtube app. Turns out the video is exclusive to Kotaku and Kotaku only on their Viddler account. The video doesn't show up on Neverwinter's website, Cryptic's website, PWE's website or any of their youtube accounts. Pretty ass-backwards logic if anyone was seriously lining up to play this piece of shit.

Every word, handwritten Vonador's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by xzi View Post
    The problem with that is the Neverwinter Nights franchise and this...thing...have nothing in common, save the first eleven letters. They're whoring out one of the best names in the D&D RPG category to try and make a quick buck off it. Sad, really.

From BioWare (the old, great, pre-EA BioWare), to, Obsidian, to Perfect World? Fuck that.

Tuconots
    When will companies learn, you can't take some thing that was old and good and just spin it around and toss it out there expecting it to do well. It isn't even with this game, look at the industry in general (movies are a good example) and you will see that there is a general lack of originality. To me it appears that some executives out there really have a lack of balls and their willingness to do <gasp> something new, different and original.

In any case, this game will probably be horrible while the sad fact that droves of idiots will still try and give this game a shot (free or not.)

Tuconots
    Two things are cool about this game. First, the no box cost/no sub cost model can only be a good thing. Two, providing tools like the ones shown below to your playerbase ought to become standard for the industry.

This game will probably end up being a mess, but I'll probably download it to play around with the Foundry feature. It puts that mess of a Dungeon Maker in EQ2 to shame.
    Last edited by Xaxius; 01-29-2013 at 05:11 PM.

Tuconots
    The Foundry looks pretty awesome.

Tuconots
    Hasbro, who owns all the D&D stuff, has shown several times in the past few years that they don't know what to do with it and don't seem to have a competent "D&D Tzar" in charge who understands the product line at all and has the power to do anything. It is like they run it by commitie and kind of wander off in different directions every few months.

Tuconots
    Even if you grew up with the books anyone who hasn't paid attention to the universe in the last 2-3 years will be completely lost with everything that's changed. I used to love recommending this universe to new fantasy readers but until the current timeline is settled and makes more sense I've avoided confusing people.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlett View Post
    Even if you grew up with the books anyone who hasn't paid attention to the universe in the last 2-3 years will be completely lost with everything that's changed. I used to love recommending this universe to new fantasy readers but until the current timeline is settled and makes more sense I've avoided confusing people.
    Just another reason this is stupid. They are putting this in line for 4e D&D which they have abandoned for months only to be replacing it with a new edition a few months from now.

In 4e they changed the Forgotten Realms setting a bunch to move it forward and fit it better with the current edition (kind of like they did in the 1st - 2nd edition switch, but a bit more severe). The new edition (coming just a few months away mind you) is either going to retcon or move past or otherwise try to erase/ignore as much of these changes as possible.

So Hasbro is trying to pretend like 4e never existed really and move on to 5e to sucker everyone back into buying their games. Yet they are releasing this 4e PC game (the first mind you) on the eve of 5e, and being an MMO it should have a long shelf life, so they are basicly laying a giant turd on their own product line (5e) and their desire to make 4e go away.

Tuconots
    Yep. Most of the people I refer books to don't give two shits about DnD or games period. They just like good reads on a stable time line. Lately we haven't even gotten that here ;-/

Tuconots
    Very sad, 4e was perfect for the world of video games. By far the most balanced version of D&d to date. Would have given them lots of potential for video games/mmo's. Now they are going back to the old style D&d where everyone MUST have a cleric, fighters do nothing but hit you with their weapons and Vancian casters. Such a shame...

Tuconots
    Correct me if I'm wrong....

In order to play a Drow I need to pay $200?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong....

In order to play a Drow I need to pay $200?
    I believe it's just the "renegade race" which is drow + added features. Essentially, it let's you be Drizzt, but to be a drow I think you are fine with just base game.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyVex View Post
    I believe it's just the "renegade race" which is drow + added features. Essentially, it let's you be Drizzt, but to be a drow I think you are fine with just base game.
    Thanks for clarifying this. Well, I know I will download the game just to roll a Drow :P

Tuconots
    Preview from MMORPG.com :

Tuconots
    That stream is so funny. Anyway, the font they use for pc/npc names seems identical to LotR.

Tuconots
    Do they plan on adding more classes besides the 4?

Tuconots
    Interesting, It is better than what I thought it would be from that walkthrough

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipmode View Post
    Do they plan on adding more classes besides the 4?
    Yes, there will be more classes after release.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhaun View Post
    "D&D Tzar" in charge who understands the product line
    This. Best IP out there, INVENTED group play, and they aint done shit with it online. In fucking credible.

Tuconots
    They've had plans for years but they had problems with various people having the rights. They got those back in mid 2011 but no idea what they've done since. Talking about wizards here.

Living in the past GorestabbCOE's Avatar
    Tuconots
    I'm tired of Crytpic Studios fucking up everything they get their hands on. I'm not even going to give them the opportunity to disappoint me this time.

It wouldn't surprise me if the first sword I had drop wasn't a "+1 Longsword", but "+30 sword arc, +20 leg revival Sword of the Jester". Fuck Cryptic, right in the ear.

Tuconots
    $200 for Drizzt, what a sham.

Tuconots
    http://nw.perfectworld.com/founderspack

Apparently this is a beta weekend right now.
    Last edited by Flight; 02-09-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Tuconots
    i'd be more excited if this actually had a compelling single-player story and wasn't your run-of-the-mill solo mmo. when will a developer make a baldur's gate with co-op?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by supertouch View Post
    i'd be more excited if this actually had a compelling single-player story and wasn't your run-of-the-mill solo mmo. when will a developer make a baldur's gate with co-op?
    Never.

Because as entertaining as loading into the first map outside of the starting town only to be hit by a pile of 9 bandits who one shot you actually WAS in retrospect (also, fuck that bear), it's not sexy for an MMO to be challenging anymore... at least to the money men.

Tuconots
    It was that stupid Ogre just past the crossroad in the second zone that always got me, fucker is a pain in the ass to kill unless you're a cleric or you kite him.
    " I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"

Tuconots
    Looks alright from that stream, presuming of course that they fix the enormous amount of technical failures they had during it and you can turn the rumble screen off.

Tuconots
    So Hasbro is trying to pretend like 4e never existed really
    A smart move, as 4e was shit and came damned close to killing off D&D for good.

Tuconots
    Someone post or PM me how this plays, I am not about to spend 200 to get in beta for game made by Perfect world and Cryptic= Oxymoron.

Also even in the Videos Graphics looked like fucking 2007 at best, so im looking for how it plays and is it fun, do the graphics look like sega dreamcast or ps2,ps3,xbox 360 etc.
    In other words dated as fuck.

ty

Tuconots
    Graphics looked fine to me -shrug-

Tuconots
    Graphics do look dated, but whatever. Game doesn't look like it's bringing anything new to the table, though. Idk.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Itlan View Post
    Game doesn't look like it's bringing anything new to the table, though. Idk.
    We haven't seen much of the Founding (their scenario creation tool) yet.

Tuconots
    Graphics are fine, animations are... >.>

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrayne View Post
    It was that stupid Ogre just past the crossroad in the second zone that always got me, fucker is a pain in the ass to kill unless you're a cleric or you kite him.
    You don't group much?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Ukerric View Post
    We haven't seen much of the Founding (their scenario creation tool) yet.
    While I can see SOME cool things coming from this... I'm expecting 'BGH $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$' maps.

Other thing is the combat seems like typical Cryptic combat... which is mediocre but tends to get drowned out in its own mediocrity.

Tuconots
    Not sure what is going on but there seems to be a lot of people playing at the moment. I say that because I have noticed several tweets and retweet regarding the game. Most interesting one was the MMORPG.com retweet earlier of some guy saying the game is a "keeper" ...

Tuconots
    Meh..mmo's today are always such a tease in the beginning with their new appeal, quests, etc. But I agree this game doesn't have "much" new to bring to the table. The stream was fun to watch and there was a lot of cool flashy stuff but many games have done that, like TERA, GW2, etc and they just can't last long-term.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by caramon13 View Post
    Meh..mmo's today are always such a tease in the beginning with their new appeal, quests, etc.
    Exactly. When this game is still getting hype in 3 months, let me know.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Marple View Post
    You don't group much?
    I usually don't bother with Xzar/Montaron, so at that stage it's just the PC and Imoen.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrayne View Post
    If you need the help, it's rather simple to grab Khalid and Jaheira before tackling that Ogre. For marginally more effort, you can face him with Ajantis and Kivan to boot. Nobody said you had to clear zones the moment you stepped into them; the early game is all about forcing you to adapt to difficult circumstances. Then you faceroll the heck of Bhaal's legacy for 200 hours. Acceptable tradeoff.

Back of topic; played Neverwinter most of the weekend. Maybe not groundbreaking MMO-wise, but when it closed, I had an incredible urge to replay the entire OC... so at the very least I have to give the game high marks for mood and integrating past storyline elements. Whether or not they adhere to their promise to keep the game 'not P2W' will likely determine how hooked I get leter on.

Tuconots
    I am about as impatient as I can possibly be to dive into the Foundry. I so hope its as awesome as it looks.
    "Sooner or later, reality becomes a quaint idea that most 'suffer' only when needed." - Grimsark
    IndieDev Gospel: Make Games - Finishing a Game
    Clarke's 3rd Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
    Grey's Law: "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice".
    “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” - R.W. Emerson

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Muligan View Post
    Not sure what is going on but there seems to be a lot of people playing at the moment. I say that because I have noticed several tweets and retweet regarding the game. Most interesting one was the MMORPG.com retweet earlier of some guy saying the game is a "keeper" ...
    No one gives a flying fuck what any of those morons over at mmowhores.com has to say about anything. The only thing that site is good for is the occasional beta key give-away.

Tuconots
    Graphics/smoothness of Rift meets Reckoning (actiony combat) meets D&D (choose abilities on hotbar, feats) meets Neverwinter atmosphere meets WoW (Lots of Quests, markers, shiny trail leads you to where you need to go).

There are some twists that make it more interesting, like Invocation (praying to your God every hour) that give you coins that you can spend(umm, like a flying unicorn?) and off course the Foundry. There are already hundreds of player-made quests with a very extensive search and review tool, which will become a huge part of the game imo. You pick these up through messageboards in Inns or by talking to barmaids and such (rumor-option). There seems to be a lot of lore and story (you pick a Deity and birthcity/background at creation, there's a lot of choices), and this will be multiplied by playermade content. Some of the Foundry stuff is already better written then the official stuff imo. You can even pay Astral Diamonds to an author, if you liked his stuff.

City looks very atmospheric, lots of Inns that look good. I definately get the "High Fantasy" vibe a lot more then when I play Rift. Combination of open world and instancing; when you enter a house or dungeon it is instanced but also lots of fighting outdoors, non instanced. Loot, itemization: definately pinata-style (lots and lots, +gooder) but still rather satisfying in a way.

Partial autoloot.

Overall I feel that the game has a pretty high value when it comes to UI, gamesystems and Combat. Rather unlike Cryptic tbh. The depth and longevity of this MMO will mostly depend on good player-made stuff, but the tools for that are definately there. For the rest it is a typical smooth and easy to get into MMO, with a good chance of boredom around the corner.
    Last edited by Treesong; 02-11-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Raes View Post
    No one gives a flying fuck what any of those morons over at mmowhores.com has to say about anything. The only thing that site is good for is the occasional beta key give-away.
    Yeah.... just wasn't sure why the promotion all of sudden? I had seen bits and pieces and then all of a sudden MMORPG and a few other sites began tweeting all day and posting articles.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Treesong View Post
    Graphics/smoothness of Rift meets Reckoning (actiony combat) meets D&D (choose abilities on hotbar, feats) meets Neverwinter atmosphere meets WoW (Lots of Quests, markers, shiny trail leads you to where you need to go).

There are some twists that make it more interesting, like Invocation (praying to your God every hour) that give you coins that you can spend(umm, like a flying unicorn?) and off course the Foundry. There are already hundreds of player-made quests with a very extensive search and review tool, which will become a huge part of the game imo. You pick these up through messageboards in Inns or by talking to barmaids and such (rumor-option). There seems to be a lot of lore and story (you pick a Deity and birthcity/background at creation, there's a lot of choices), and this will be multiplied by playermade content. Some of the Foundry stuff is already better written then the official stuff imo. You can even pay Astral Diamonds to an author, if you liked his stuff.

City looks very atmospheric, lots of Inns that look good. I definately get the "High Fantasy" vibe a lot more then when I play Rift. Combination of open world and instancing; when you enter a house or dungeon it is instanced but also lots of fighting outdoors, non instanced. Loot, itemization: definately pinata-style (lots and lots, +gooder) but still rather satisfying in a way.

Partial autoloot.

Overall I feel that the game has a pretty high value when it comes to UI, gamesystems and Combat. Rather unlike Cryptic tbh. The depth and longevity of this MMO will mostly depend on good player-made stuff, but the tools for that are definately there. For the rest it is a typical smooth and easy to get into MMO, with a good chance of boredom around the corner.
    lol. worst comparison ever.

I don't know really. I don't hate Crpytic. Bits and pieces of good games, that have fallen short. I don't know if budgeting issues. They have ideas beyond their means, or if its just a few great devs saddled with a ton of shitty ones. Look at the player made content in City of Heroes, or the nemesis in Champions. End result is pretty meh. but you have to admit. they are thinking outside the mmo box.

For those in this beta, have you played DDO?

Tuconots
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02...erwinter-beta/

First impressions of Neverwinter's beta

Neverwinter is all the rage these days among MMO fans as the promise of a Fourth Edition D&D MMO in the Forgotten Realms setting has many old-school tabletop gamers jumping at the opportunity to get into the early testing stages. Thanks to last week's short press beta and this weekend's first early head-start glimpse, I was able to play through the game for a few days to get a feel for what to expect when the game launches later this year.

We first heard rumblings of a Neverwinter MMO in 2010 and got to see a live demo of it at E3 2011, just before Perfect World Entertainment took over Cryptic Studios. It was a very early build, but I was so excited to see a comprehensive drag-and-drop dungeon builder that seemed to work beautifully. Even during the demo, I was daydreaming about what I could do with this thing and the adventures I could have with my friends.

Of course, that all changed when Cryptic announced a complete overhaul to the original incarnation of the game. Luckily for us, this meant that the dungeon-creating RPG was turning into a full-fledged MMO.

Initial impressions

So far, most of our articles regarding Neverwinter's beta this week have been informative, but I wanted to give my opinion of what I saw without a whole lot of technical talk. I've been playing tabletop D&D since the '80s and '90s (when it was AD&D) and jumped into this game as a skeptical fan of the IP but also one who respects the work that Cryptic has done with both Champions Online and Star Trek Online.

That said, my first reaction when I set foot into the land of Faerűn was that this game looks like a Turbine creation. That's certainly not an insult, but I could honestly just stop this article right now by describing Neverwinter as the lovechild of Dungeons and Dragons Online, Lord of the Rings Online, and a bit of Champions Online.

Character creation

At first, I was completely turned off by the character models, but character creation itself is fun enough to keep me going. I'm not a fan of flat hair textures and dated faces, but I soldiered on because I sometimes like to pretend I'm not a total graphics snob.

The character creator grabbed me when it asked me to pick my origins, right down to my citizen type within my chosen city. Choosing a deity was equally as interesting, although the creator admits right at the top that the origins and deity choices are there only for flavor with no effect on gameplay. Bummer.

Rolling for my abilities was another let-down as it seems that the term "reroll" means something different to the developers than it does to me. It may be a safeguard put in place to prevent players from completely hobbling their characters, but the stats seem to only vary one or two points when you reroll.

Atmosphere

When I said earlier that this game is part LotRO, I'm mainly talking about the atmosphere and feel to the game. Heck, even the type font looks like it was taken directly out of LotRO. But again, this isn't an insult to Neverwinter as LotRO provides one of the best atmospheres in any current MMO.

In addition to that, I enjoyed the art style overall, despite not being fond of the character models. It's a bit on the stylized side, but I'm always a fan of the timelessness of that choice in art direction. Lighting and effects are wonderful, and the sound direction is probably my favorite part of the game's feel. The music seems very Champions-esque, and sound effects are top-quality.

Features

Unfortunately, the Foundry is not available yet in this stage of beta, but you can bet that we'll be covering that extensively when it is available. Aside from that, Neverwinter has plenty to keep you busy. Not only is there an overarching storyline to follow, but there are side quests from NPCs, scheduled dungeon events, bounties, arena events, relic hunts, and Foundry quests from other players in which you can participate at any time. You can set up to queue any of these events from one single page and add them to your calendar of events from within the game. This really gives me the impression that Cryptic wants to focus on large-scale player-driven content and community interaction, which are really among the biggest features missing in so many modern MMOs.

I was able to play through a few of these Foundry quests (presumably set up by Cryptic devs and alpha testers at this point?) and really enjoyed the process. It's very easy to jump into these player-created quests and campaigns at any time, and you can rate them at the end. You can even subscribe to certain authors to receive updates when they release new content, and you can donate even you're feeling particularly moved by their creations.

I reached only level 17 on one Trickster Rogue character (and got all other classes to 7-8), but I was able to obtain my first companion and play with that a bit. I chose the Wayward Wizard companion for his damage and had fun outfitting him with runestones and training him up. During the beta, there were three companion slots available with two other unlockable slots for a total of five.

Currency is interesting and reminds me a bit of Guild Wars 2. You can buy ZEN from the Neverwinter site and use it to buy items in the ZEN store or trade for Astral Diamonds, which can be used in the auction house. You can also refine Rough Astral Diamonds found in the game into regular spendable Astral Diamonds. There's also normal gold-based in-game currency for purchasing items from NPCs, and then there's Glory, which is earned in PvP and spent on special gear. There are also Ardent and Celestial tokens that are earned as you gain the favor of the gods by praying at altars. These tokens can be used to purchase consumables and collectibles that can be traded for high-end gear.

Combat

OK, at this point you may realize that I'm enjoying Neverwinter overall, but that perception's about to change when I describe combat.

First of all, I understand and respect the fact that the combat was created to be action-based with a reticle and aim-to-hit primary attacks. But you can't have this type of set-up if the reaction time of your skills is clunky and delayed. Double-tapping to dodge away from attacks works wonderfully in games like Guild Wars 2, but not in Neverwinter. Even that split second delay in your character's reaction due to a drawn-out dodge animation can cause some serious grief.

"I want to fire off daggers at that orc while running for cover behind that crate over there, not be frozen to the ground with a big target painted on my forehead."

On top of that, you can just go ahead and say goodbye to your hotbar friends 1,2,3,4,5, and 6; your new friends Q, E, R, Tab, left mouse button, and right mouse button are setting up shop. I'm not as bothered by these nontraditional keys because you can easily rebind them in the options, but I thought I'd warn you.

Strafing is also noticeably absent, which takes quite a bit away from the dynamic of combat, especially in ranged classes. I want to fire off daggers at that orc while running for cover behind that crate over there, not be frozen to the ground with a big target painted on my forehead.

That brings me to my final gripe about combat: auto targeting. It took me a few battles to realize that I was being assisted by the gods (i.e., a magnetic force that brought my reticle right over the baddies every time), but I felt that it was a bit too much in the hand-holding department. I will admit, I did enjoy the fact that I was automatically spun around to face the target each time, avoiding those annoying warnings you see in other games when you're not at the exact correct angle to your enemy. I guess it's give-and-take.

Conclusion

Overall, I really enjoyed Neverwinter, but I see it as a tool at this point. It's a fantasy MMO multi-wrench with all of the right elements in place to be helpful with your own D&D campaign, and the real test will be when players get in there and start recreating the battle of Helm's Deep or the entirety of Icewind Dale with the Foundry. I can see a strong community building around this game in much the same way that Neverwinter Nights pretty much made modding a household word. There's vast potential for podcast discussions, fansites rating the top Foundry campaigns, and much more.

I would say that if you like DDO, you're going to love Neverwinter because it seems as if it could just be called DDO 2 at this point. And that's a good thing.

Pros
    • Strong focus on player-driven content
    • Gorgeous art style
    • Events are well-organized and easy to join
    • Extensive currency system
    • Exploring is rewarded
    • Puzzles and hidden rooms!
    Cons
    • Clunky combat
    • Dated character models
    • Linear default storyline

Tuconots
    I agree about the character Models they look like their from 8-10 years ago cant stand them.

Tuconots
    @ Caliane:

Well, I compared it with like 5 different games, so I figured I couldn't go wrong there.

But yeah, it doesn't really tell you what Neverwinter is like. I played DDO quit a bit and enjoyed it. I never liked the central hub in DDO and the so-called exploration areas are still outdoors instances. But the adventures were top notch and they kept me playing for quit a while.

I see great potential for playermade adventures in Neverwinter though I am not sure if they can be made as varied as DDO adventures: especially not sure about underwater play. For the rest I think the Foundry has a lot of tools to make some awesome stuff.

If they keep upgrading the Foundry and reviews are getting serious (as mentioned, good authors can actually make cash-shop coin by getting tips from players), coupled with the OK (in my book) graphical style and setting, I can see this game having some longevity.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Itzena View Post
    A smart move, as 4e was shit and came damned close to killing off D&D for good.
    It is pretty bad. Yet still better than all the D&Ds that came before it. We have D&D Next (5e) coming to kill D&D for us.
    Last edited by Zhaun; 02-11-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Tuconots
    It is pretty bad. Yet still better than all the D&Ds that came before it. We have D&D Next (5e) coming to kill D&D for us.
    My biggest gripe with 4e was that you keep getting new abilities that don't replace or upgrade old ones, but all have independent encounter or daily restrictions. It was like the EQ2 of pnp rpgs. Why do I need 8 attacks that do 2D10+x damage each with a different minor effect that I can use once per encounter?

Also, the best part of DDO was abusing 3.5 character generation. 4.0 classes are dumb by comparison, so I'm curious why they chose going from Champions/STO 'be whatever the hell you want' char building to this model for the one game that actually inherently supports those choices?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Palum View Post
    My biggest gripe with 4e was that you keep getting new abilities that don't replace or upgrade old ones, but all have independent encounter or daily restrictions. It was like the EQ2 of pnp rpgs. Why do I need 8 attacks that do 2D10+x damage each with a different minor effect that I can use once per encounter?
    Think you need to play more. You get an Encnouter Attack at 1st, 3rd and 7th, then can swap them out for new ones at like 13, 17, 22 and 27 or somthing. So including the 1 you get from your Paragon Path, you never get more than 4 Encounter Attack Powers, unless you specificly try to get more (specific multiclass, theme or other selections). Many of the higher ones you replace the lower ones with are direct or rough upgrades, if you want that, or can get something different.

Tuconots
    Think you need to play more. You get an Encnouter Attack at 1st, 3rd and 7th, then can swap them out for new ones at like 13, 17, 22 and 27 or somthing. So including the 1 you get from your Paragon Path, you never get more than 4 Encounter Attack Powers, unless you specificly try to get more (specific multiclass, theme or other selections). Many of the higher ones you replace the lower ones with are direct or rough upgrades, if you want that, or can get something different.
    Probably true, we never really got much past the first few levels in the few 4e campaigns I tried. Just the feeling of the system coming from just whirlwind attack taking a retarded number of feats to 'choose 18 ways to do similar things!'.

Tuconots
    I watched some video, and I was kind of thinking the characters had that turbine look about them. Like the turbine character artist had jumped over. That's not really a bad thing, but guildwars 2 has such amazingly lovely characters, it will be hard to look at new stuff that is not near that same level of quality.

A friend was in beta, and talking with him while I was watching the video, it looks like they are trending towards focusing the eye on the center where the action is. I've been waiting for more games to push this, but what I mean is not needing to look at the UI so much. Fast cooldowns, enemies reacting to hits, and visual indications of health levels.

Richard called it "playing the interface" when you have a wacky class with odd cooldowns you have to watch. I think the worst I've seen is lotro minstrel. Guildwars 2 was a bit of good and a bit of bad. It was difficult to notice being damaged, and there was a bit of the odd cooldown problem.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Palum View Post
    Probably true, we never really got much past the first few levels in the few 4e campaigns I tried. Just the feeling of the system coming from just whirlwind attack taking a retarded number of feats to 'choose 18 ways to do similar things!'.
    I just find most people who dislike 4e haven't played enough to actually have a very informed opinon of it. After played every edition of D&D, I really do think it is the best of the lot. But I also honestly believe that it is too mired in the past and clinging to too many "holy cows", so there are many games out there in the world that are simply superior.

But it is all a matter of what you want out of your game really.

Tuconots
    I just find most people who dislike 4e haven't played enough to actually have a very informed opinon of it. After played every edition of D&D, I really do think it is the best of the lot. But I also honestly believe that it is too mired in the past and clinging to too many "holy cows", so there are many games out there in the world that are simply superior.

I agree. My problem with 4e was that there was so much premade/streamlined stuff in the basic rules that it was difficult to separate people out of the WoW mindset and have a true PnP game again. Even though the combat was far far better than 3.5 to tell stories and nothing prevented you from adding the roleplay part, 3.5 required it to have functional dungeon crawls that weren't complete shit whereas 4e was fine as a straight combat game. So every time I played 4e it quickly descended into 'oh more XP up ahead!' whereas 3.5 was much more conducive to 'ok, I'm going to throw the table into the doorway' because you had nothing else to manage between combat rounds. So it was really a blessing or a curse, depending on your play group.

Registered User Kid Sized Coffin's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharza-kzad View Post
    Richard called it "playing the interface"
    Richard... Bartle?

I agree about reducing reliance on the GUI, although short cooldowns isn't really a necessity as long as there's a more visceral way of exposing the availability of an ability (for example, Link's boomerang).
    Last edited by Kid Sized Coffin; 02-12-2013 at 03:40 AM.

Tuconots
    Garriott sorry, this was back on tabula rasa, a version back from the soldierish one that shipped.

Tuconots

Correct me if I was wrong but didn't the 4e pushed the IP to be more combat-specific / combat-oriented and less of "Role Playing" the combat seemed like you're playing a dungeon crawler and not an RPG. That's why a lot of our playing group switched to Pathfinder.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharza-kzad View Post
    I watched some video, and I was kind of thinking the characters had that turbine look about them. Like the turbine character artist had jumped over. That's not really a bad thing, but guildwars 2 has such amazingly lovely characters, it will be hard to look at new stuff that is not near that same level of quality.

A friend was in beta, and talking with him while I was watching the video, it looks like they are trending towards focusing the eye on the center where the action is. I've been waiting for more games to push this, but what I mean is not needing to look at the UI so much. Fast cooldowns, enemies reacting to hits, and visual indications of health levels.

Richard called it "playing the interface" when you have a wacky class with odd cooldowns you have to watch. I think the worst I've seen is lotro minstrel. Guildwars 2 was a bit of good and a bit of bad. It was difficult to notice being damaged, and there was a bit of the odd cooldown problem.
    I agree with you all the way. The last thing I want to do in an MMORPG is "play the interface" but the good news is we're seeing the trend of minimizing skills in the action-bar (which is a good thing) let's hope we get less of this "reactive" (whack-a-mole mini games) in your action bar.

I want a slow paced resource-management / strategic combat back. I don't want to watch my UI just in case a button blinks that I need to press.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura View Post
    Correct me if I was wrong but didn't the 4e pushed the IP to be more combat-specific / combat-oriented and less of "Role Playing" the combat seemed like you're playing a dungeon crawler and not an RPG. That's why a lot of our playing group switched to Pathfinder.
    No, that was just the propaganda.

4e was just as much of a dungeon crawler as 3e really, it just codified it better to make it easier to run and play and to make balanced out encounters easier by taking a different approach. Mainly because it gave you a bunch of stuff to do in combat, and removed non-combat stuff to its own thing to try and and remove the "Ooops, the wizard/sorcerer/druid/cleric cast a spell and eliminated the challenge from this whole scenario" type occurances.

It tried to achieve some balance across classes and make more classes interesting, and reduce "I snap my fingers and change the world" type stuff, to try and have the game make a bit more sense. And, comeing straight off from the insane bullshit you can pull off in 3e, it was a bit of a shock to the system for many people. So they really didn't give it much more than a glance or any time to mature before coming up with wild and crazy stories about what is was and wasn't.

That said, Piazo did a much better job marketing and supporting Pathfinder than Wizards ever did 4e. So credit where credit is due there for sure.

Tuconots
    Nah. 3.5e(/PF) > 3e > 2e > 1e > Red Box D&D > 4e

4th was terrible. They tried to turn D&D into an pencil & paper MMO so they could license the rules out easier, then fucked up the licensing anyway.

Tuconots
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02...n-neverwinter/

Your first 15 minutes in Neverwinter Videos in link good to watch if you thinking about this game.

The character Models however give me fucking break Jesus.

Like a bull's walt... Nostrovia's Avatar
    Tuconots
    "Sorry I tried to spit roast your mom."

Tuconots
    that preview looks pretty decent

Tuconots
    Looks exactly like NWN2

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostrovia View Post
    heh. I think its funny. narrator mentions wanting to see players needing to march in formations, to make use of the targeting skills, etc.

A phalanx would totally be considered exploiting in a game, that allowed it. If a game has player collision with players and npcs. if you could hold shields up and block npcs or players, so they couldn't get past your shields by lining up 4-6 "tanks". With your dps/healers behind. Would totally get nerfed.

Tuconots
    http://promo.pcgamer.com/Neverwinter/

refresh until you get a question you can answer.

Redeem key at nw.perfectworld.com

Edit: oops, may not be a beta key... seeing conflicting answers.
    Last edited by Iadien; 02-28-2013 at 12:59 AM.

Tuconots
    I have a free horse key to give away.

First PM.
    - Gone.

Also I have that issue, so if you want more keys:

1. http://promo.pcgamer.com/Neverwinter/
    2. PM me the question
    3. Make new email for extra keys
    4. Repeat
    5. ???
    6. Profit

Redeem @ https://my.perfectworld.com/nw/redeemkey

They aren't beta keys iirc. They are keys for a horse mount.
    Last edited by Friday; 02-28-2013 at 12:54 AM.

Tuconots
    Thanks for that. Most questions were impossible, but the one I found was "What is the second class listed on page xx" and the answer is "guardian fighter".

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Friday View Post
    They aren't beta keys iirc. They are keys for a horse mount.
    I'm seeing that it's both a beta key and one of two mounts. The beta is March 8, so we'll see I guess.

Tuconots
    #9 game of the Top 10 Downloads (page 87)

anyone??

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Convo View Post
    #9 game of the Top 10 Downloads (page 87)

anyone??
    Gamemaker studio

or gamemaker

Tuconots
    Keep trying to reset my password and it won't let me. /sigh

Tuconots
    Thanks for the heads up, hope this isnt a gd disaster.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Daezuel View Post
    Keep trying to reset my password and it won't let me. /sigh
    Had a similar issue. I noticed I had 2 user names attached to the account. I had to use the second name to reset the password.

I noticed you could download the game.. Anyone do that in hopes of an invite? I might just to skip the line heh

Tuconots
    anyone have a key they don't want? or that I can just use for a bit. can't answer any of these ><

Tuconots
    It looks like it could be a fun game for a while. That vid just seemed more like a Diablo MMO than a D&D game. Personally I wish someone with the license would create an MMO based on D&D where combat was fairly rare and you had a lot of the old RP elements. When my group used to play D&D we spent more time wandering around town buying stuff, playing politics, exploring, building things... yeah, I know lots of D&D groups weren't like that, and I'm not sure how you would put that into a computer game. I guess what I"m saying is that this "Neverwinter" doesn't seem like D&D to me. Not saying I won't try it out for some fun...

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwulf View Post
    It looks like it could be a fun game for a while. That vid just seemed more like a Diablo MMO than a D&D game. Personally I wish someone with the license would create an MMO based on D&D where combat was fairly rare and you had a lot of the old RP elements. When my group used to play D&D we spent more time wandering around town buying stuff, playing politics, exploring, building things... yeah, I know lots of D&D groups weren't like that, and I'm not sure how you would put that into a computer game. I guess what I"m saying is that this "Neverwinter" doesn't seem like D&D to me. Not saying I won't try it out for some fun...
    The problem is, as you said, that shit is hard to put into a game. Someone has to design and code it all, whereas in a free form tabletop type setting, anything can go if you can imagine it happening in the context of the setting.

Tuconots
    Neverwinter wiki, maintained by some testers and players I believe

http://nwowiki.co/index.php?title=Main_Page

It's a WIP.

Tuconots
    2nd Beta Weekend is coming up. If you're on this list you can login and play.

Beta Weekend 2 - March 8-10
    Torchlight 2 pre-orders

I'll be on for a bit testing and seeing how the game handles.

Tuconots
    This game looks interesting, player generated stuff with tera combat? I'll try it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Schilling
    I can tell you that when we launch Copernicus we will change the mmo space forever in ways that you will all be excited about.

Tuconots
    Certainly more and more interested as I learn more. I'm trying to keep myself away from the news sites, though, so that I don't get my hopes up before release.

Tuconots
    Beta invites being sent out

Tuconots
    Damn when does it open for the PCG contest linked here? Looking forward to trying this and we were thinking this weekend was open with those keys.

Tuconots
    If there are enough of us does anyone want to run as a Rerolled group Friday/saturday/sunday?

I'll come into the IRC and gauge interest later this week.

Thread Information