Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beer Thread

Tuconots

The Beer Thread

Brekk was correct on recommending Shock Top: End of the World Midnight Wheat. It's pretty damn good.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnesto View Post
    Brekk was correct on recommending Shock Top: End of the World Midnight Wheat. It's pretty damn good.
    Agreed.

Tuconots
    Pliny The Elder, a fantastic hoppy double IPA.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo, a bold IPA. Sierra Pale Ale when I want something less hoppy.

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout. I love Guinness, and this is a stronger brew in the same vein.

Stella Artois. Go-to,drinkable, crisp beer. Often keep some handy if I think guests will not enjoy the rest

Tuconots
    Since my post lasted all of one day over at MN, I will repost it here. Elysian Fields in collaboration with a local Seattle area radio program called The Mens Room (worth podcasting if you have never heard it, it's basically four guys having conversations on the radio that are the same conversations you would have with your buddies at the bar) made a beer called Mens Room Red. The cool thing about this beer is a portion of the proceeds from each MRR sold goes to the Fisher House ($200k raised so far). Also it just won a silver medal at the GABF.

Well this year they also made a special limited release which is called Mens Room Black. It is an imperial red (but very dark, hence the name) that is actually pretty hop forward for an imperial or a red. It is one of my favorite releases this winter and like the Red, a portion of the proceeds from the Black also goes to the Fisher House.

If you are in the Pacific Northwest (or happen to get Elysian distributed to your area), pick up a bottle. Like I said, it is a limited release so grab it if you can.

Tuconots
    Lately I've been on a Harpoon UFO kick.

Also since it's around this time of the year, Dog Fish Head Punkin.

Banned
    Tuconots
    I know this isn't really about beer, but fuck.

I bought a fifth of Jack Daniels and they didn't take off that black "safety?" cap thing.

Time to pull out the vise grips :\

Tuconots
    I just had Midas Touch for the first time on Thursday night. The stuff is pretty damn good.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Flunklesnarkin View Post
    I know this isn't really about beer, but fuck.

I bought a fifth of Jack Daniels and they didn't take off that black "safety?" cap thing.

Time to pull out the vise grips :\
    Use your teeth.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnesto View Post
    I almost got this...but read chili and chocolate malt then put it down and was like wtf??

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanz View Post
    I almost got this...but read chili and chocolate malt then put it down and was like wtf??
    I'm always up to trying new beers, even when they sound fucked up.

I have some excellent beers with those same ingredients...it all depends on when the ingredients are added and how much. It does sound odd in a wheat, I'd expect those in a stout, but I'd still try it

Tuconots
    So does anyone on here brew their own? Pretty fun/cheap hobby. All of your family and friends will love it too. I've made everything from lager, wheats, pales, porters, stouts.

I'm going to brew a centennial hopped pale today or tomorrow, then an oatmeal stout in a few weeks. Next step is switching to all grain, not that the extract brews are bad, and I'll still do them from time to time I imagine...I'm just ready to make the move.

The last pale I used a shit ton of citra hops, it turned out great but was a little expensive. I'm going to try it again soon, I'll try doing the same recipe but all grain next time, see how much different it tastes.
    Last edited by Hateyou; 12-08-2012 at 07:16 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanz View Post
    The malt is referring to the specific grains used to make the beer that have characteristics of those flavors, they should be not overwhelming (although I have never heard of a grain with a chili characteristic, so maybe they used actual chili's). Pretty much any stout, scotch or other dark beer uses chocolate malts (grains, not milkshakes) in them.

I have had some chili beers that were amazing, and I have had some terrible ones. The key is that the chili flavor needs to work in compliment with the hops and malts. If you make the chili the dominate flavor it is terrible. Same rule applies to pretty much any added flavor (coffee, fruit, etc.).

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Hateyou View Post
    So does anyone on here brew their own? Pretty fun/cheap hobby. All of your family and friends will love it too. I've made everything from lager, wheats, pales, porters, stouts.

I'm going to brew a centennial hopped pale today or tomorrow, then an oatmeal stout in a few weeks. Next step is switching to all grain, not that the extract brews are bad, and I'll still do them from time to time I imagine...I'm just ready to make the move.

The last pale I used a shit ton of citra hops, it turned out great but was a little expensive. I'm going to try it again soon, I'll try doing the same recipe but all grain next time, see how much different it tastes.
    I have a pretty nice home brew set up. Have a kezzer with three taps and cornies. Just started doing all grain batches with your typical Home Depot cooler mash tun. The biggest issue I have right now is I don't have very good fermentation temperature control. Total I have maybe a dozen beers under my belt, nothing to the quality I hope to reach as of yet, but nothing that wasn't decent-to-good either.

Tuconots
    Try this next time youre grabbing a few at the store.

YoungsDoubleChocolateStout400.jpg

Tuconots
    A little too much yoohoo-ey for me, but I've had worse.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwinks View Post
    Try this next time youre grabbing a few at the store.

YoungsDoubleChocolateStout400.jpg
    If you like Young's, try this:

Tuconots
    Only Chocolate beer I've really had was Sam Adam's Chocolate Bock (and loved it). How do the Rogue and Young's compare?

... Not like I'll ever find them where I am, though =/

Registered User Lvl_32_Bard_LFG's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Ayinger's Brau-Weisse. Delicious, and has a very unique cap if youre into small hoarding/collecting/serial beer drinking trophies.

Also, I'm a guinness man myself. Nothing beats that thick, full feeling and the characteristic lack of the esophageal throat scarring CO2. Craving one (or 10) right now!
    Last edited by Lvl_32_Bard_LFG; 12-10-2012 at 08:49 AM.

Tuconots
    Rogue is a great brewery. I don't think I've ever had one of their beers that I didn't enjoy.

Also, on the topic of Guinness, the best beer I've ever had was a Guinness at the Guinness brewery in Dublin. I never realized how watered down it is in the States until trying it there.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by quse View Post
    Only Chocolate beer I've really had was Sam Adam's Chocolate Bock (and loved it). How do the Rogue and Young's compare?

... Not like I'll ever find them where I am, though =/
    I would say Youngs is more smoothe and milky, while the Rogue is more "beer-like", it has more bite to it.

Hullabaloo Caneck Caneck! taebin's Avatar
    Tuconots
    See Avatar. Enjoy.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by taebin View Post
    See Avatar. Enjoy.
    Definitely a fan, haven't had one in a while though. I enjoy various Spaten beers as well.

Tuconots
    This shit right here

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by McCheese View Post
    Rogue is a great brewery. I don't think I've ever had one of their beers that I didn't enjoy.
    Overpriced and treat their employees like shit? Sounds good to me!

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tral View Post
    It's probably the tears of downtrodden employees that adds that extra little bit of deliciousness.

Tuconots
    Also, found BCBS on tap yesterday. Heaven.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Hateyou View Post

I have a 25BBL production system, i put out about 5k BBLs a year. I also drink for a living.

As soon as i get my new Microscope i will plate shocktop for you guys. Nothing says craft beer like fake craft beer.

Tuconots
    received an early xmas present yesterday - a collection of various types of beer glasses!

interestingly i decided on Chivas @ the liquor store over an assorted 12 pack of brews about 15 mins prior to receiving the pack of glasses.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Silayn View Post
    As soon as i get my new Microscope i will plate shocktop for you guys. Nothing says craft beer like fake craft beer.
    This. I'm pretty afraid that Goose Island (and particularly BCBS) may end up in the same downward spiral of quality.

Tuconots
    It seems like once microbreweries get into that "top 10 biggest microbrews" range, they start to get way too much attention from the mega beverage corporations and can't avoid getting bought up forever. I'm actually surprised that Sam Adams/Boston Brewing Co has remained independent all this time, as massive as they are now.

If fear that my local "mega" microbrew, Boulevard, doesn't garner too much attention from the big boys now that they are one of the largest microbreweries.

As an aside, picked up the newest batch of Rye on Rye yesterday, it's phenomenal.

dscn6174.jpg

11% ABV. Put down a bottle last night(along with a couple other random beers) and was moving a little slow this morning. Shits damn potent for a beer.

Tuconots
    I think I've seen beers by them here. I need to pick one up, never tried it. But I love me some rye beer and rye whiskey.

Pulling out an accidentally-aged La Fin du Monde tonight. Moved a few months ago and forgot I stashed some beer in a box.

Tuconots
    Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat
    Magic Hat #9
    Any Samuel Adams Seasonal- even Boston lager
    Fat Tire when I got to go cheap.

Unfortunately I have too much of an expensive taste in beer-
    Cheap cheap cheap- Coors Light or Budlight Lime when its summer time and im out at the lake.

Tuconots
    This. I'm pretty afraid that Goose Island (and particularly BCBS) may end up in the same downward spiral of quality.
    http://www.brewersassociation.org/pa...brewer-defined

There is a poster down at the bottom that i wanted to post to help inform you guys. When i get time i will also post who owns what brands it is really interesting. There also was a CNN article bringing light to about 80% of the beer on the average grocery shelf is controlled by 2 companies.

Goose Island will go on a downward spiral, that same thing that happened with Fordham and Old Dominion. Some people will care, some will not. People are stupid they will remember that they used to drink that brand of beer and try it again thinking to themselves that it used to taste like that and the crap that they are currently drinking is still that same quality.

Flavor and Memory go hand in hand. If you ever had an issue drinking any style of spirits just the smell of that spirit will make you get sick. If you ever had a bad experience at a food establishment you do not go back there. People drink things ice cold so you do not have to taste what you consume because if you tasted it, you would not drink it.

I am home from work so /rant off

And i am currently drinking Gueuze Fond Tradition from Castle brewery.

Tuconots
    My current:

Aktien%20Zwickl.jpg

Tastes fucking awesome.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboo View Post
    my local "mega" microbrew, Boulevard
    One of the reasons I miss going to KC for work. Every time I went there a plate of Jack's Stack burnt ends and a boulevard unfiltered wheat was my first meal.

Tuconots
    Jack Stack is great, and the Costcos around KC carry Jack Stack burnt ends as well, always load up and put some in the freezer every time I go.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by piggvomit View Post
    Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat
    Magic Hat #9
    Any Samuel Adams Seasonal- even Boston lager
    Fat Tire when I got to go cheap.
    My thoughts:

Tuconots
    Most of the Goose Island guys have left at this point and started their own breweries either together or individually. I think that maybe only one of the executives/brewers is still left and working for the subsidiary.

Tuconots
    That's too bad. Oh well, BCBS was amazing and now I've checked it off the list. Next up is Narwhal.

Tuconots
    Delicious, delicious beer. Ive tried all but the IPA, and have never been let down

http://www.macandjacks.com/
    Q: Can I find Mac & Jack's outside of the Northwest?
    A: We get calls from all over the United States and we thank you for your interest! At the current time Mac & Jack's is sold only in Washington, Oregon and Idaho.
    Kinda feel sorry for the other 47. . . 'cept Texas.

Tuconots
    Boulevard Wheat on tap with a lemon is easily one of my top choices of all time. I absolutely love it.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscene View Post
    Delicious, delicious beer. Ive tried all but the IPA, and have never been let down

http://www.macandjacks.com/

Kinda feel sorry for the other 47. . . 'cept Texas.
    If you like that, also check out Georgetown Brewing. The guy who made the African Amber (and several other of Mac and Jacks recipes) is now the head brewer at Georgetown.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl_32_Bard_LFG View Post
    Ayinger's Brau-Weisse. Delicious, and has a very unique cap if youre into small hoarding/collecting/serial beer drinking trophies.
    [/IMG]
    Weihenstephaner or Koenig Ludwig are my favourite weissbiers for sure, but Ayinger makes a great one also.

I also love Ayinger's Oktoberfest-Maerzen. You could drink gallons of this stuff and never find it overwhelming.

Tuconots
    love this stuff:

Smuttynose+IPA.jpg

Tuconots
    Beer is a hobby of mine, and I have done some all-grain home brewing with a friend who has the full setup.

The best APA/IPA I've ever had is Surly Furious. Unfortunately, it's only distributed in MN and maybe WI unless they expanded recently. I live in TX. If they get big enough to distribute here, they will probably dumb down the recipe and I will be sad.

In TX, the best two pales I've had are (512) IPA and Southern Star Pine Belt Pale. Saint Arnolds makes a surprisingly good double IPA called Endeavor as well. I've visited the majority of the craft breweries in Houston & Austin, and a couple in San Antonio & Dallas. Anyone else have some TX favorites to share?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by opiate82 View Post
    If you like that, also check out Georgetown Brewing. The guy who made the African Amber (and several other of Mac and Jacks recipes) is now the head brewer at Georgetown.
    Mm Never knew that! I've had the Manny's Pale before and it was good! I think I might have to go hunting for the others. Thanks for the tip!

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by pemulis View Post
    love this stuff:Smuttynose+IPA.jpg
    me too

Tuconots
    In case you needed another reason to like Sierra Nevada...

Tuconots
    Has anybody heard from Sweet Prince EmpireF4I or whatever his name was lately?

Registered User Lvl_32_Bard_LFG's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Had the Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel last night, wasn't too bad. Anything Ayinger produces is quality.

Also, I usually avoid Sam Adam's (simply not a fan), but I had their Merry Mishief Gingerbread Stout last night, and it was good. Tastes exactly like a cookie. Definitely recommend it for this holiday season.

Rape Culture Enthusiast Dr. Mario Speedwagon's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Had a few of these the other night. Generally do not like beers with fruit flavors but this shit was tasty.

Tuconots
    Tried this at my local Londoner Restaurant and love it. It's got that strong flavor to it and will get you buzzed fast. It also has a fucking trinket around the neck! Badass!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuconots
    Westvleteren xii just got advertised in the liquor store I go to. $75 for a 6 pack, fuck me.

Tuconots
    Leinenkugel Sunset wheat was named the fruit-loop beer with my group of friends. Even though I am an IPA guy, I think it tastes great.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichu View Post
    Westvleteren xii just got advertised in the liquor store I go to. $75 for a 6 pack, fuck me.
    That's a pretty good price. It's $85 per sixer everywhere around here

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by YIMMY View Post
    Leinenkugel Sunset wheat was named the fruit-loop beer with my group of friends. Even though I am an IPA guy, I think it tastes great.
    I like it quite a bit as well, it's great in the summer.

Tuconots
    I'm seeing some German beer love here, so a few recommendations you can probably find easily:

Doppelbock - Spaten Optimator --> Celebrator is better, but costs about 2x as much. Optimator is good and pretty easy to find.
    Hefeweizen - Franziskaner --> if you like Shock Top, Blue Moon or Sunset Wheat, give the German style they originated from a try. (For the beer geeks: the listed beers may be more Belgian Wit style, but who's counting?)
    Weizenbock - Schneider Aventinus --> A dark wheat bock, sort of a mix of the two styles above. Tastes kind of like banana bread. Typically comes in a purple pint bottle.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Haast View Post
    Doppelbock - Spaten Optimator --> Celebrator is better, but costs about 2x as much. Optimator is good and pretty easy to find.
    I'll second this suggestion. Spaten Optimator Doppelbock has an excellent balance of price, availability, and taste.

Tuconots
    I'll add my recommendation to Spaten Optimator and the Franziskaner hefe as well. Both solid and easy to find beers.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Mario Speedwagon View Post
    Had a few of these the other night. Generally do not like beers with fruit flavors but this shit was tasty.
    Seconded. My favorite holiday beer not only because I live in Texas, but well, its awesome.

I always overstock on it during the holidays and have a few cases to sip on through the year =D

Tuconots
    One of the reasons I always look forward to this time of the year.

061222_inside_Delirium.jpg

Tuconots
    Of the widely distributed holiday beers, Jubelale is my favorite. It's made by Deschutes out of Oregon (which makes really good stuff in general), and they vary the recipe a little each year. I believe it is an English-style ale with a bit of holiday spice. As usual, it's really good this year. They also have a local artist do new label art for each year, so it's a nice looking sixer to boot.

Tuconots
    Care to elaborate Tral? I have thoroughly enjoyed Rogue beers, for their volume of production they don't seem to have a problem turning out craft quality beer time after time. I would not have a problem purchasing from another company if they are turning into heartless suits though.

Tuconots
    For those into sour beers or think you might want to give them a whirl I recommend Jolly Pumpkin, La Roja being the most popular but if you are into exploring they have quite the line up. Here's to hoping their expansion this year does not affect their product.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by YIMMY View Post
    I have been known to drink this sometimes in the summer. Also like Leinenkugel's Fireside brown ale when I'm too cheap to buy Newcastle. Somebody on FOH recommended their "summer shandy" though and I found it quite revolting, like somebody poured a coors light into a glass of lemonade.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by jello View Post
    Care to elaborate Tral? I have thoroughly enjoyed Rogue beers, for their volume of production they don't seem to have a problem turning out craft quality beer time after time. I would not have a problem purchasing from another company if they are turning into heartless suits though.
    They make mediocre beer (and quite a bit of just plain bad beer), but price it quite a bit higher than similar products to try and seem exclusive. And from what I've read they're shitty to their employees. It really seems like the brewery was just started by some former Nike execs to "cash in" on the craft beer industry with flashy branding and high prices.

There are so many better options out there (DFH, Sierra nevada, stone, lagunitas, bells, new belgium, hell even sam adams come to mind as breweries trying cool shit, and getting it right, or at least making great "standard style" beers), it really just doesn't make sense to buy Rogue beer.

That sour sounds tasty, though. I've only really tried Duchess, and that shit is awesome.

Tuconots
    Rouges operation isn't much different than many of those breweries that you listed. Maybe you just don't get a lot of the smaller Rouge batches in your area but they have a lot of, as you put it, "cool" stuff. And it's not like they are using adjuncts or anything in their beers, just malts, hops, water and yeast. Like Any of those other breweries you listed. Also I don't know about your area, but pretty much all of those breweries you listed except New Belgium are just as if not more expensive than Rouge.

I can't comment on the "they are shitty to their employees" comment, maybe you can link something that you have read? When I visited the brewery I didn't get that impression but also it's not like they are going to shit on their employer right then and there.

Registered User Julian the Apostate's Avatar
    Tuconots
    1. favorite beer
    2. runner up favorite beer
    3. favorite christmas beer

90 min ipa.jpgsamuel-smiths-oatmeal-stout.jpg
    Troegs-Mad-Elf.jpg
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
    Bertrand Russell

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by opiate82 View Post
    I can't comment on the "they are shitty to their employees" comment, maybe you can link something that you have read? When I visited the brewery I didn't get that impression but also it's not like they are going to shit on their employer right then and there.
    The differences are pretty stark. New Belgium is employee owned and I seem to remember it being listed as one of the best places to work recently. Rogue's employees were being treated so badly, they tried to unionize. http://beervana.blogspot.com/2011/06...ogue-ales.html

And anyway, I'm not saying every single one of Rogue's beers is shit. I just think a lot of it is mediocre, and some of the stuff they "experiment" with (like that Voodoo beer) is just poorly done. And when there are hundreds of better options out there, I can't ever justify buying Rogue over something else.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by BrutulTM View Post
    I have been known to drink this sometimes in the summer. Also like Leinenkugel's Fireside brown ale when I'm too cheap to buy Newcastle. Somebody on FOH recommended their "summer shandy" though and I found it quite revolting, like somebody poured a coors light into a glass of lemonade.
    I think it was me that recommended the Summer Shandy. I enjoyed it, but I can see not liking it because it really does taste more like bitter-ish lemonade than beer. (I think that's actually something I said about it on FoH). I have a pretty crazy sweet tooth so I've always liked the super fruit-flavored beers.

Tuconots
    That sour sounds tasty, though. I've only really tried Duchess, and that shit is awesome.
    For those who haven't tried a sour beer and want to give it a go, Duchess de Bourgogne is a good starting point. It is pricey for a beer (around $12 for a 750mL), but it is good stuff and not overpoweringly sour.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    Picked up a celebratory beer for finishing finals:

Tuconots
    We Trappin' hard at work today,

Attachment 4437
    Draegan sold us out to MMORPG.com

Exodus underway to ReReRolled.org - A Gaming Community

Tuconots
    Holy fuck.

Tuconots
    founders-kbs.jpg
    Best beer I've ever had. I'm ashamed to say Bud Light is still my go to beer but I'll pick up a good six pack at least twice a month.

The only beer I've ever poured down the sink was Rogue Voodoo, while most of their stuff isn't this bad, I can't buy any of their beer anymore.

Tuconots
    Loved that Sierra Nevada, my all time favorite beer (which I'm currently drinking) is the SN Torpedo Extra IPA. As for the discussion of bocks and doppelbocks, the Sam Adams Double Bock is amazing, and the chocolate bock in the Sam Winter Sampler is pretty good. But an even better choice is the Kozlak, a great polish bock, sold as singles around me. (Lots of polish people locally)

sierra-nevada-torpedo-extra-ipa.jpgbeer_20567.jpg

Tuconots
    I was able to get Loose Cannon put onto the beer menu of the office Christmas Party amongst the Bud Light and Sam Adams variants. I'm not sure how wide spread it is, but it's one of my standard go-to beers because it's on tap in most places I've been in MD. We had some remote people fly in from various parts of the country and most of them had never had it, but it was universally loved by everyone at the party who tried it.
    loose-cannon1-123x470.png

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by brekk View Post
    As for the discussion of bocks and doppelbocks, the Sam Adams Double Bock is amazing, and the chocolate bock in the Sam Winter Sampler is pretty good. But an even better choice is the Kozlak, a great polish bock, sold as singles around me. (Lots of polish people locally)
    When I was typing up the bock suggestions, I had actually considered tacking on Sam Adam Double Bock (Imperial series) and Weihenstephaner Korbinian. Both are very good and relatively easy to find, but more expensive than Spaten Optimator. I've only found Korbinian in pint bottles, and it runs about $3-4 for a bottle.

Sam Adams Double Bock was originally a seasonal you could get for ~$7 a six pack, which was the best deal ever offered in craft beer. They now made it part of the Imperial series and it is ~$8 for a 4 pack. Still worth the price.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Evernothing View Post
    We Trappin' hard at work today,
    Holy shit dude.....I consider myself a beer/bourbon/wine snob amongst most. I'm a sucker for a good Belgian trappist, but just couldn't fork down the money for Westvleteren. I just dropped a few hundred down on some Van Winkle bourbon and a couple of 50+ year Ports, and my liquor financial reserves are spent. I do have to know what you think of it. I fear it's over hyped a bit. I've had the Westvelteren VIII once, and thought it was great, but not "best in the world".

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunark View Post
    founders-kbs.jpg
    Best beer I've ever had. I'm ashamed to say Bud Light is still my go to beer but I'll pick up a good six pack at least twice a month.

The only beer I've ever poured down the sink was Rogue Voodoo, while most of their stuff isn't this bad, I can't buy any of their beer anymore.
    KBS is fucking fantastic. My favorite beer. Only got one bottle last year, going to keep an eye out and try for more this time around.

Tuconots
    KBS is also my favorite beer. It really is amazing.

Tuconots

KBS in April. I've always wanted to try CBS - do they release it a certain time of year or was it a special thing?

Tuconots
    CBS was a special thing, same with Better Half. I don't see Bolt Cutter listed, and Cerise isn't listed on there either (though I guess Rubaeus might be replacing it). I love me some founder's, but the beer scene in MN has just blown up lately with Micros. It's like fucking Pokemon, I gotta try them all.

Obviously Surly is the standard, but some of the other new comers on the local scene have been doing really well. Right now I'm gone through some Summit's, Founder's, and New Glarus (one of the best in the nation).

First attached is the Stouts I have waiting for me (for Jan/Feb, missing from the pic is this year's Darkness).
    2012-05-05_1336178786.jpg

Second is what I brought back home on a trip from Florida.
    2012-10-19_1350624634.jpg

Tuconots
    dat dark lord. Never seen it show up anywhere.

Tuconots
    dat dark lord. Never seen it show up anywhere.
    The red on black with white numbers is the Vanilla Bean Bourbon Barrel Dark Lord. I generally dislike BA, but here's the page: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/42349

DL is typically released once a year (last weekend in April) at the 3Floyds brewery. Huge party with something like ~140 different taps running from craft brewers. Tickets go on-sale the weekend before St. Patrick's day usually. Surly usually shows up, as the head brewer is friends with the 3F guys.

Tuconots
    Yeah, I read about those different barrel-aged DL releases. Sounds fucking awesome. Wish I didn't have to go to Indiana to get it.

Tuconots
    Yeah, I read about those different barrel-aged DL releases. Sounds fucking awesome. Wish I didn't have to go to Indiana to get it.
    While the address is Indiana, it's essentially just outside of Chicago. There's a bunch of decent beer bars as well as new/old breweries in Chicago too. Worth a weekend at least.

Tuconots
    It's just across the border from Indiana, like 35 minutes from downtown Chicago. It's kind of crazy... the weather is always shitty, its impossible to park, there are way too many fucking people around, etc. They used to let homebrewers bring kegs and bottles to trade and let people drink, but I don't know if they allow that anymore. They also do something where you had a chance to get a "Golden Ticket" which, if you had one, let you buy a rare Dark Lord variation for $50.

The food is terrible and there is nowhere good to eat around there either. Basically the best thing to do is show up at your ticket group time slot, buy your allocated bottles, and get the fuck out back to Chicago unless you are a huge beer nerd who wants to trade rares. As far as I know its never sold to the public outside of this event so you have to trade or buy it off ebay or craigslist if you don't go to Dark Lord Day.

It's definitely worth a weekend though. The best brewery in Chicago is Half Acre Beer Company and they just opened a tap room too.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyashusa View Post
    It's just across the border from Indiana, like 35 minutes from downtown Chicago. It's kind of crazy... the weather is always shitty, its impossible to park, there are way too many fucking people around, etc. They used to let homebrewers bring kegs and bottles to trade and let people drink, but I don't know if they allow that anymore. They also do something where you had a chance to get a "Golden Ticket" which, if you had one, let you buy a rare Dark Lord variation for $50.

The food is terrible and there is nowhere good to eat around there either. Basically the best thing to do is show up at your ticket group time slot, buy your allocated bottles, and get the fuck out back to Chicago unless you are a huge beer nerd who wants to trade rares. As far as I know its never sold to the public outside of this event so you have to trade or buy it off ebay or craigslist if you don't go to Dark Lord Day.

It's definitely worth a weekend though. The best brewery in Chicago is Half Acre Beer Company and they just opened a tap room too.
    Yeah, they still do the golden ticket (the bottle I was talking about above is on of them). They still let you bring in "a couple of bottle" for trading to the event, but no more kegs/coolers/etc. I only tried the Daisycutter from Half Acre, but it was pretty good. I still love going to the Clybourn GI brew pub too.

Tuconots
    Brewing up 5 gallons of Chocolate Porter tonight!
    256940_10151393538561081_235931060_o.jpg

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboo View Post
    If fear that my local "mega" microbrew, Boulevard, doesn't garner too much attention from the big boys now that they are one of the largest microbreweries.

As an aside, picked up the newest batch of Rye on Rye yesterday, it's phenomenal.

dscn6174.jpg

11% ABV. Put down a bottle last night(along with a couple other random beers) and was moving a little slow this morning. Shits damn potent for a beer.
    Got a bottle of the 2013-1 batch for Christmas, promptly chilled and drank it. Fantastic beer. This batch was 12% abv, definitely a little boozy on the nose, but the rye makes it so damn smooth.

Tuconots
    A local place does a similar beer: Brau Brothers Rye Wyne (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/14967/80171).
    It's an estate deal, so almost all of the brewing ingredients are sourced from the farm itself. They had a ton of Rye growing and then got some Templeton Rye barrels for aging. I haven't tried the Boulevard stuff.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Ao- View Post
    Second is what I brought back home on a trip from Florida.
    2012-10-19_1350624634.jpg

The bottle in the middle is from The Bruery? Can't quite read it, but recognize the label. Which beer is it? They're abut 15 minutes away from me, was at their tasting room maybe 10 days ago.

Tuconots
    Tradewinds tripel. And I was really underwhelmed with it.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Ao- View Post
    Tradewinds tripel. And I was really underwhelmed with it.
    Ah, haven't tried that one.

Tuconots
    Went to the liqour store to try and find some Celebrator, but couldn't find it anywhere. So instead I tried the Spaten Optimator as this thread suggested. I dunno...its a bit too much bitter for my taste. I'm pretty sure I like Celebrator better. But it's still a good Doppelbock none the less.

Tuconots
    I actually found Optimator kind of sweet, unless I'm thinking of another beer.

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures Royal's Avatar
    Tuconots
    wells-banana-bread-beer.jpg

Gave this a try and it tastes exactly like what the label says; banana bread. None of that imitation banana flavor either. Was nice for a little change of pace

Tuconots
    Banana Bread Beer sounds absolutely delicious. The liquor store nearby has some so I will pick some up this weekend. Thanks for the recommendation.

Thread Information