Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Animal Activism Crazy Thread

Tuconots

The Animal Activism Crazy Thread

Am I the only one troubled by the current trend of being more concerned with animal well being than that of humans?

Motorcyclists die after car stops to let ducks cross the road

Tuconots
    The idiocy of not pulling over to the shoulder has nothing to do with the animals.

In the Panhandle waiting for death by Tornado.
    Tuconots
    She didn't pull of the road and he was obviously not watching the road.

Tuconots
    Who stops for animals?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Jais View Post
    Who stops for animals?
    Me. Fuck getting their blood and shit all over my car.

Unless its a deer. I do like to eat me some deer. Anywho, this is why you don't fucking tailgate/drive to fast, especially in a deathmobile. Dumb ass tailgater in a cycle gets waxed, news at 11

Tuconots
    That's pretty dumb all around. She stopped on a highway. That wasn't some residential street. She stopped on a highway. I expect that's where criminal negligence comes in. You don't stop your car in a lane on the highway.

Of course, a biker who was following close enough to her to wipeout is also deserving of his fair share of "I'm just too stupid to live". The tragedy is that he pulled his daughter into his suicide.

That story really had nothing at all to do with the ducks.

Tuconots
    And you're damn straight I stop for deer. If you ever hit one you will also learn to stop for deer.

Tuconots
    Deer:Rural::Rats:Urban

Fuck those things. Bambi's mother deserved to die.

Where's my money Leo?
    Tuconots
    Wouldn't really call her an animal activists. I know plenty of women who told me they will intentionally swerve their cars to avoiding hitting a dog/cat/etc. Don't wanna kill the cute you know!

Registered Royalty Sweet Prince Empire's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaid View Post
    Am I the only one troubled by the current trend of being more concerned with animal well being than that of humans?

Obviously you arent the only one concerned with it if she faces up to life in prison. Isnt this article proof that theyre doing something about it? They threw the book at this bitch.

Rav Scam-Free Zone
    Tuconots
    I'm an animal guy so yeah, I've no issue with animals > people. In this case? She really shouldn't have stopped on a frigging highway - sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. The only animal I ever hit was a rabbit, and I was driving down a very dark, very winding road and it popped out at the last second. Had I tried to avoid it I could very well have seriously injured myself and my passenger, so the choice was easy, even if I do really wish I hadn't run it over.

I have a friend (she's religious to some extent) who says in every case humans > animals. So I asked, if someone put a gun to your head and said either they'd kill your pets or Jeffery Dahmer, who'd you pick to live? She said Dahmer. I can't agree with that. If you'd pick your pets (and feel free to substitute any other human there - the worst you can think of), then all we're arguing is where to draw the line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Flex View Post
    The lag makes you last longer.

Tuconots
    Humans are animals, too, you realize.

Given the choice between my species and another species? Yep. My species every time. Even if it's Hitler versus a dolphin.

Whack that fucking dolphin. We'll deal with Hitler in our time. We'll even mourn the dolphin. Sure as shit ain't nothing on this planet ever going to mourn US getting extinctinated.

Except maybe some specific bacteria. But they don't count.

Tuconots
    Wouldn't you be an accessory of some sort if you told them to kill Dahmer over your pets? I would think animal life is considered expendable over human life by law.
    Kaige#1128 - Battle.net
    Kaige - Steam

Tuconots
    Dahmer vs dogs?

Shit, there aren't many people I wouldn't be willing to kill to save my puppy. Especially babies.
    Last edited by khalid; 06-22-2014 at 11:41 AM.

Tuconots
    I would extinctify an entire breed of dogs or any other animal rather than blindly choose a human to die so glibly like that.

In the human vs animals I choose human every time.

Tuconots
    I mean humans should be smart enough that it never comes to that choice. We also need to point that out. There is a responsibility.

But we're stipulating that something super-stupid happened, and that choice has come.

Tuconots

This has nothing to do with animal activism.

Tuconots
    If animals want to play live action frogger then we should not make it easy for them, let alone get out of the car to stop the game altogether.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
    This has nothing to do with animal activism.
    Ya... I was extremely intoxicated when I posted this thread. I intended to make a big long post with multiple articles but got bored after I had already started and said 'fuck it'.

Feel free to shaw.

Tuconots
    The best animal activism to hate is when some valuable infrastructure or project gets blocked because of some specific breed of wild animal is located there and would have one of its few (or only) habitats destroyed by that project.

The problem with assessing those stories is that you never know when that endangered animal is just a red herring and the real reason a project is being opposed is because it's dumb. You saw this earlier this year with that cattle rancher in Nevada:
    Everything you need to know about the long fight between Cliven Bundy and the federal government - The Washington Post
    s a war on for your mind!

The tortoise was just a smoke screen thrown up by the ranchers and quickly accepted by stupid people.

Tuconots
    That goes for slacktivism in general. People don't research what they're fighting for. So they fight for stupid shit, wasting time and resources. It's not just an animal rights issue.

Tuconots
    I've started unfriending people from Facebook that post nothing but "adopt this fucking dog" pictures and stories about dogs.

You know, if I gave a fuck about dogs I'd subscribe to some dog newsletter. Shut the fuck up about fucking dogs. I may start posting that Chinese picture of the dogs strung up for sale in reply.

Tuconots
    The cyclist wasn't tailgating her, her car was stopped long enough for her to get out of it and try to shoo the ducks off the road. So while what she did was indeed criminally stupid, I think throwing the book at her is ridiculous considering that the cyclist was clearly paying absolutely zero attention to the road.
    Draegan is a faggoty piece of shit who sold the forum to mmorpg.com just to spite us. Register at the new site.

ReReRolled.org - A Gaming Community

Tuconots
    Was this in the middle of the night with all her lights turned off or happen at like the crest of a hill or something?
    I've started unfriending people from Facebook that post nothing but "adopt this fucking dog" pictures and stories about dogs.

You know, if I gave a fuck about dogs I'd subscribe to some dog newsletter. Shut the fuck up about fucking dogs. I may start posting that Chinese picture of the dogs strung up for sale in reply.
    People are really starting to piss me off with animals(specifically fucking dogs);

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=694219627281934

Fuck you and your worthless "ptsd" dog. Sick and fucking tired of going into a god damn store and seeing fucking mongoloid heathens with a dog beside them.
    Last edited by Big Phoenix; 06-22-2014 at 11:18 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Phoenix View Post
    Fuck you and your worthless "ptsd" dog. Sick and fucking tired of going into a god damn store and seeing fucking mongoloid heathens with a dog beside them.
    Why does it seem to traumatize you that someone has a dog in a store you are in? Did you get PTSD from the ptsd dog?

Tuconots
    Well for one the VA clearly defines the difference between a dog for someone with ptsd(aka emotional support dog) and someone with a disability(aka service dog);

Dogs and PTSD - PTSD: National Center for PTSD

emotional support dog =/= service dog

But more to the point, the law that covers "service dogs" is a horrible and shitty law. No universal identification combined with business owners being barred from checking the validity of a dog means any two bit fucktard can claim they have a service dog.

Tuconots
    I'm still not getting the big deal here. Is it because you want to take your own dog and don't, thereby feel resentment towards people that do? Or is it because you think dogs in a store you are in are a gigantic problem? You just seem to feel very strongly about this and I'm curious why.

Tuconots
    Oh am sorry is it wrong to be offended by dogs coming up to you and smelling you and trying to lick you in a fucking grocery or convenient store?

Tuconots
    Oh am sorry is it wrong to be offended by dogs coming up to you and smelling you and trying to lick you in a fucking grocery or convenient store?
    Yes. You must let them sniff your balls. It is in the Americans with Disabilities Act. Only disabled people may prevent service dogs from sniffing them or defecating on their person or personal effects.

As an aside, it's rather simple to acquire the 'harnesses'. Though the best ones are the 'service dog in training' bullshit ones. Think about it, you get to drag your dog around as a service dog, don't have to have a disability AND it can do whatever it wants and you can just claim 'oh sorry its just in training!'.

MAKE EARTH EXTINCT AGAIN! Abefroman's Avatar
    Tuconots
    I'd take dogs over peoples fucking obnoxious children in stores.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Abefroman View Post
    I'd take dogs over peoples fucking obnoxious children in stores.
    Or people that use this shit with their kids and take up the entire aisle.

shopping cart race car.jpg

Tuconots
    Pitbulls should be exterminated

In the Panhandle waiting for death by Tornado.
    Tuconots
    Treat them like wanna be blow hards from Philly.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    BP, do you have a lot problems with people bringing their service dogs around? For me at least service dogs are very rare and when they are they are well behaved and used by people I don't mind getting whatever help they can.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by kegkilla from Philadelphia View Post
    Pitbulls should be exterminated
    You mean the terrible rapper kind?

Tuconots
    BP, do you have a lot problems with people bringing their service dogs around? For me at least service dogs are very rare and when they are they are well behaved and used by people I don't mind getting whatever help they can.
    Real service dogs are not a problem, but there is a recent trend of people getting their shrinks to write letters saying that because they have "anxiety" they can take their totally untrained dog on planes and anywhere else that they might like to take it.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by BrutulTM View Post
    Real service dogs are not a problem, but there is a recent trend of people getting their shrinks to write letters saying that because they have "anxiety" they can take their totally untrained dog on planes and anywhere else that they might like to take it.
    I've never seen that. Roughly how many of those dogs are there in the US?

Tuconots
    I don't know, I never fly anymore, but I have heard people complaining about it the last couple years. It must be somewhat common because some airports now have designated areas for dogs to shit.

Tuconots
    Service dogs won't lick you or ask to be petted.

Always ask the owner if you can pet a service dog. And don't stare them down like you would a normal dog. Those dogs have a job, but they ARE dogs... and if you stare at them they're not gonna just ignore you.

People getting "mommy notes" to bring their shitbreed mutts on airplanes is sort of lul.

Source: I know a woman that trains them for the State. Maybe she's just super anal about training them, but that's what she's always said whenever asked. And she'll slap a bitch if they try to pet her dog without asking her first.
    Last edited by Iannis; 06-23-2014 at 04:27 PM.

Tuconots
    No. Though id wager that the amount of people with a legitimate need for a service dog is comparable to the amount of people with legitimate need for handicap license plates.

I've never seen that. Roughly how many of those dogs are there in the US?
    Like I said it goes back to the problem of;

1) Businesses are prohibited from asking about the nature of a service dog
    2) There is no standard identification for a service dog

The second a business owner says hey is that dog really a service dog an army of lawyers is on the way to sue him into bankruptcy. The ADA is quite possibly one of the dumbest fucking laws this country has ever passed.
    Last edited by Big Phoenix; 06-23-2014 at 04:45 PM.

Tuconots
    Just walk your dog into wherever you want with your eyes closed.

And if anyone says "You have a chihuahua, or whatever, as a service dog?"

Just reply with "They gave me a chihuahua!!?!?

Problem solved.

Tuconots

Registered User Frenzied Wombat's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Well for one the VA clearly defines the difference between a dog for someone with ptsd(aka emotional support dog) and someone with a disability(aka service dog);

Dogs and PTSD - PTSD: National Center for PTSD

emotional support dog =/= service dog

But more to the point, the law that covers "service dogs" is a horrible and shitty law. No universal identification combined with business owners being barred from checking the validity of a dog means any two bit fucktard can claim they have a service dog.
    Haha, one of my sisters has an "emotional service dog"-- a French Bulldog to be exact. She's a psychologist and had her shrink write her a letter saying she feels anxiety without her dog around, all that was needed for her to get the license and a harness that says "emotional service dog". When I visit her in NY she brings the dog fucking everywhere with us. It's fucking annoying because you're sitting at a nice restaurant getting caustic stares from people who aren't sympathetic to the fact that they're paying $35 for an entrée while a dog licks his balls five feet away. I just wrote it off to "being in NYC". I have yet to see an emotional service dog in Texas. But yeah, "emotional service dog" is a little too much "socially progressive / PC", even for me. If you're blind and/or physically handicapped, I'm all for it, but once you start allowing people "service dogs" on something subjective as your mental state, it can quickly become a slippery slope.
    Last edited by Frenzied Wombat; 06-23-2014 at 11:35 PM.

Tuconots
    I wish I never read the words "emotional service dog."

Tuconots
    Peanut.

Butter.

Tuconots
    The only time I've seen a "service dog" is at the VA hospital. If a 90 year old wheelchair bound vet wants to bring Toto with him to his Dr. appointments, I'm okay with that. I can't imagine what the fuck that dog can possibly do that's considered a service though. I mean, other than the peanut butter thing.

Tuconots
    A while ago I was flying home and had to sit next to some stupid old bitch with this unwashed/wet dog smelling shitzhu or whatever. I kept looking around wondering why she could have the dog uncaged and sitting in her lap but it was probably one of those stupid service dogs. Worst three hours of my life.

Tuconots
    Fake service dogs aside, I have to say that being in agriculture I feel like there are quite a few animal organizations that would like to destroy my whole industry if they could. Organizations like the Human Society of the United States (HSUS) or PETA who are radical political organizations who get support from people who just like their pets so they feel good giving to a group that "helps animals" but have no idea what the organizers really believe. There are plenty of stories of people giving to HSUS because they think that they are supporting animal shelters when HSUS does little to nothing for animal shelters and uses all of their money for politics which the majority of their contributors would probably not support if they understood it.

Then there are the organizations that want to replace cattle ranchers with "wilderness". Not because there are sound ecological reasons for it, but just because they like the idea of wild bison or even wild horses running around out there rather than livestock.

People are easily taken in by this stuff because so few people are currently involved in agriculture. The vast majority of people don't even know anyone that is a farmer or rancher so when they see a video on the HSUS website totally out of context of some dude whacking a dairy cow with a stick, they have an understandable emotional reaction to it and buy the idea that so called "factory farmers" are nothing but cruel monsters who don't care about their livestock outside of what money it can make them, and since they don't know anyone in agriculture, they don't have any perspective on animals outside of their anthropomorphized dogs and cats.

While I don't fully agree with organizations like the ASPCA on all topics, I think that they are a legitimate organization that does a lot of good things, but groups like PETA and HSUS are just evil in my book and I don't think most of the people who send them money would support them if they understood the subject matter a little better.

Tuconots
    National Service Animal Registry

Rustle the fuck up these jimmies until I read this:

What Are Your Legal Protections and Rights?
    The Air Carrier Access Act 49 U.S.C. 41705, Dept. of Transportation 14 C.F.R. Part 382, Fair Housing Amendments Act of 1988 are the laws that protect an emotionally disabled person and his/her ESA.

The legal protections an Emotional Support Animal (ESA) has are to:

Fly with its emotionally or psychologically disabled handler in the cabin of an aircraft without being charged a pet fee. Click here for detailed information on Flying with Your Emotional Support Animal.
    Qualify for no-pet housing (that also includes limited sze, breed, or species housing) without being charged a pet fee. Click here for detailed information on Housing Rights For You And Your ESA.

No other public or private entity (motels, restaurants, stores, trains, taxis, busses, theatres, parks, beaches, libraries, zoos, etc.) is required to allow your ESA to accompany you and in all other instances, your ESA has no more rights than a pet. That means they aren't protected by law to accompany you into any public place that does not allow pets. That doesn't mean these places won't let you, it just means that they are not required to, by law.
    At least they can't legally use this 'ESA' (also known as a pet for most people) status outside of flying and housing.

Tuconots
    Yeah PETA is filled with nothing but crazy fucks. People have no idea they are pretty much a militant extremist organization.

"AH HA HA HA HA HA" Barraco Bisi's Avatar
    Tuconots
    emotional service bird

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Sparkle View Post
    The cyclist wasn't tailgating her, her car was stopped long enough for her to get out of it and try to shoo the ducks off the road. So while what she did was indeed criminally stupid, I think throwing the book at her is ridiculous considering that the cyclist was clearly paying absolutely zero attention to the road.
    From what I read, they had several other motorists testify as witnesses that they had to swerve to narrowly avoid the car, as they didn't see it until the last second. What the exact circumstances were, I don't know.

Quebec driver who stopped for ducks guilty in fatal crash | Toronto Star

A provincial police officer testified at the trial that Roy, whose speed was estimated at 113 km/h and 129 km/h when he applied his brakes, collided with Czornobaj’s car at between 105 km/h and 121 km/h.
    The speed limit on the road was 90 apparently, so he was definitely travelling faster than it. Judging from the minimal difference between the estimated travel speed and the collision speed, he barely had time to react and brake. Whether that was inattention or the circumstances of where she was parked, I don't really know. One story said that she had the hazard lights on, another said she didn't. Most have said the driver's side door was open.

Quebec motorist accused in two deaths said she was helping ducks - Montreal - CBC News

Prosecutor Annie-Claude Chasse said witness and police testimony will show the accused was on a narrow shoulder patch next to the passing lane, tending to a family of ducks on the roadway.

"Would a reasonable and prudent person, in the same circumstances as was the accused, have done the same?" Chasse asked the jury. "Would that reasonable and prudent person have stopped their car, on a busy highway, in order to save some ducks?"

It was a nice, relaxed Sunday and Volikakis said ice cream was to be on the menu when they arrived home. Roy was driving and his daughter was riding pillion on his Harley-Davidson motorcycle, while Volikakis rode her own motorcycle behind them.

Volikakis testified she saw a woman walking dangerously along the narrow shoulder on the side of the highway. She also saw a car at a standstill in the passing lane.

"I wondered what she was doing there, it was not the place to be," Volikakis said.

She testified that Roy gestured to the accused as if to warn her it was dangerous for her to be there. Seconds later, his bike slammed into the stationary car, sending both of the occupants in the motorcycle flying.
    Seems to me like the dad was distracted by the woman fucking around on the shoulder chasing the ducklings around, and then slammed in to her car, which was sticking out in to the lane he was in, and it didn't have hazards on. A witness that was immediately in front of the motorcyclist said this:

Earlier on Tuesday, eyewitness Martine Tessier testified she was driving along the same stretch of highway on June 27, 2010. The weather was nice, the sun was setting and the road conditions were excellent.

Tessier said she was driving at about 110 km/h when she saw a woman along the side of the road seemingly trying to shoo along a family of ducks.

"I shouted to my kids (in the car) 'What is she doing there? She's going to get killed,'" Tessier told the jury.

She testified that moments later, she was staring down a car — completely stopped with no hazard lights on — with the door open on the driver's side.

"It was close enough that I knew I didn't have time to brake," Tessier said. Instead, she swerved to get around the car. Then she looked back in her rear-view mirror and saw something else hit the vehicle.

"I saw a body go over the car, it was like a rag doll," Tessier said. "I shouted to my daughter to call 9-1-1 with my cellphone."
    So was the dad speeding? Yeah. Was he distracted or inattentive? Possibly. But the fact is, that dumb cunt's actions were primarily responsible for his death. Criminal negligence causing death sounds about right to me. As far as "throwing the book at her", the sentencing hasn't happened yet. She could get everything from a discharge with no permanent record, to over a decade in jail. It's likely her actual punishment will be negligible, given that there was no criminal intent and that she appeared to be a good citizen. Just dumb as all fuck.

Tuconots
    Ah that makes more sense. She pulled the double whammy of being a crazy lady shooing ducks around on the highway then had her car just hanging out in the highway after her. It's the tag team of idiotic distraction.

Tuconots
    he didnt have loud enough pipes to scare that car off the road

Tuconots
    Anyone get those shitheads on facebook constantly posting last week about how feeding your dog ice water with ice cubes in it will cause them to die? Then later in the week a vet came out and said it was false and you didn't hear shit.

These animal activists on facebook piss me off more than any other group of human beings! AND I LOVE MY DOG
    Noodleface#1412 - <Rerolled> US-Hyjal Horde - Noodleface

Follow me on Twitch! - Streaming Rerolled minivan dad raids Friday nights 9PM EST and Saturday mornings 11AM EST!

Tuconots
    There are a few people on my facebook that routinely post patently false rumors. Whenever I post a quick link to snopes or some fact check website they always respond with, "Oh, I didn't research it." Like it's some nerdy burden to double google stuff that sounds like bullshit.

That's why I like this community. If you post some shit like "ice cubes will kill dogs" your rerolled street cred drops drastically and takes years of competent thought to overcome.

Tuconots
    It's crazy man.. just blatantly spewing shit for the sake of being "first" to post some top story.

Reminds me of all those KONY2012 fags

Follow me on Twitch! - Streaming Rerolled minivan dad raids Friday nights 9PM EST and Saturday mornings 11AM EST!

Tuconots
    There are a few people on my facebook that routinely post patently false rumors. Whenever I post a quick link to snopes or some fact check website they always respond with, "Oh, I didn't research it." Like it's some nerdy burden to double google stuff that sounds like bullshit.
    I have to do this quite often as well. Usually one of those "watch out for this latest scam! SHARE WITH EVERYONE ON FACEBOOK!".

Tuconots
    I get lots of shit like this being posted: 10 American Foods that are Banned in Other Countries

Fucking hippies.

Tuconots

That's why I like this community. If you post some shit like "ice cubes will kill dogs" your rerolled street cred drops drastically and takes years of competent thought to overcome.
    Totally, you can be a stupid ass here and people will actually call you out on that shit. Facebook is an echo chamber, people just want to pat each other on the back and its full of fuckheads sharing nonsense. Try debunking an outright lie and you get blasted or ignored or blown off. I personally can't stand all anti-science and conspiracy theory hippie new age and tin foil hattery type shit. Sort of like what Eomer said.

Video somehow relevant to thread:

Tuconots
    Little known fact, Ice Cubes will actually kill dogs.

It's true. ejucate yoself.

icecube.wisc.edu

Tuconots
    They were talking about the rapper Ice Cube.

That motherfucker will kill your dog.

Tuconots
    God, I'm so sick of the "adopt this dog" shit. Yeah, I feel bad about them too, but I didn't cause any of it. My animals have come from friends or the pound. I don't need to see 5 different fucking sad/dying dogs every fucking day. I got my fill of it when Ravvenn was championing that shit. I'd almost rather send an X-Box at this point.

This one chick on my Facebook feed has gone mental the last few years, and I would have deleted her by now if she didn't occasionally provide me with some awesome entertainment. She posted some shit about a month ago about how McDonald's beef was only (some low number) % beef. Some other guy beat me to posting the Snopes link, so I replied something along the lines of, "I'm sure glad someone else checks Snopes besides me." Not 2 minutes later she posted (in all caps), "IT ISN'T ABOUT FUCKING SNOPES, DON'T EAT THAT FUCKING SHIT, IT IS BAD FOR YOU!"

So I responded with, "Oh yeah, sorry about that. Hey, fun fact. Organic food is fertilized with dead babies. I read it on the internet, so DON'T EAT THAT FUCKING SHIT, IT IS BAD FOR YOU!"

One less friend

Tuconots

Tuconots
    That doesn't make much sense. It would seem the guy on top of the pyramid is the one that needs to be stopped to end the trade. But its a pyramid so wouldn't taking out a couple of the guys on the bottom cause the whole thing to fall?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Famm View Post
    That doesn't make much sense. It would seem the guy on top of the pyramid is the one that needs to be stopped to end the trade. But its a pyramid so wouldn't taking out a couple of the guys on the bottom cause the whole thing to fall?
    Kind of like arresting people for dime bags has worked out? Shake your head boy.

Tuconots
    Yes, its totally comparable to your obsession with legalizing weed.
    Last edited by Famm; 06-25-2014 at 01:45 AM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Adebisi View Post
    lul, white ppl are stupid with shark fin. this, just like those other white ppl who are against japanese and dolphins will never end. only shark fin soup is deeply embedded in chinese culture, probably in asian culture.

some infos:

shark fin soup is real, and expensive so you usually have it at weddings and whatever ppl you want to impress. i've drank my fair share of shark fin soup, cuz i'm asian and every asian has drank it. (unless you're super unfortunate) the fin is tasteless and doesn't add anything to the soup, it's the soup/broth that has all the yumminess. basically ordering shark fin soup is akin to "taking out the fine china" when someone you want to impress comes over.

the problem is that since these dumb asians love their shark fin soup (i never said i agree'd with it), ppl hunt sharks like crazy for their fins, and just their fins. the problem is shark meat is worthless, no one wants to eat shark, you see shark on the menu next to escargot? so they just fish out live sharks, cut off their fins and throw them back in the water, b/c no one will buy the shark meat and this lets them catch more sharks. (also not being weighed down by meat that doesn't give you money is a great incentive to throw finless sharks overboard).

culturally every asian grows up thinking shark fin soup is the bomb diggity and is as necessary as a bride wearing white (in asian reddings it's red, but whatever), it's also at every chinese wedding menu, and is like wine, it's just part of the package. (i had to customize my wedding menu to not have shark fin, not b/c i cared about those stupid sharks, but b/c its stupid expensive and i would rather my guests eat higher quality food instead)

also isn't that poster a bit racisit? i'm guessing it's promoted by the australian WWF since the website ends in .au, but come on white ppl, it just seems like an anti asian poster. can't throw in a white captain or a white sous chef or something?

Tuconots
    You just admitted yourself that shark fin soup is an Asian custom in whole and total, so why is it racist? This is the kind of thing where animal activism seems well founded. I'm not at all a person who supports feel good animal rights campaigns, or animals over humans, and I'm sure as fuck a meat eater. But fishing sharks and wantonly cutting off their fins is wasteful and irresponsible. Its the kind of selfish human behavior that causes ecological messes. Sharks are a top predator, you can't just decimate their populations and expect them to bounce back and it will have no effect on the balance of sea life. As human populations have grown, old customs have to be reconsidered for the modern age. Continuing to do something stupid out of pure tradition isn't acceptable.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by lanx View Post
    it just seems like an anti asian poster.
    You clearly need to up your dose of black rhino horn or tiger gallbladder to cure your dumbness.

Tuconots
    It seems like the market for sharkskin boots is just no longer profitable.

To me the travesty isn't killing the shark. It's cutting off its fin and then throwing it back. There have got to be more useful pieces of the shark than just its fin.

LAZY ASIANS

Tuconots
    nope, there's no demand for shark meat, at most they'd probably reuse the shark as bait for future sharks, but once they dock, no one wants to buy the shark meat, just the fins. it's pretty much like ocean poaching where they just take the rhino horn and leave the rhino to die.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Famm View Post
    Yes, its totally comparable to your obsession with legalizing weed.
    Don't you have to diffuse new norms into a population before you try and enforce those norms as well as addressing the economic side of the equation to be at all useful?

Tuconots
    The shark I caught and ate from the Atlantic was really good =\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vvoid View Post
    This one chick on my Facebook feed has gone mental the last few years, and I would have deleted her by now if she didn't occasionally provide me with some awesome entertainment. She posted some shit about a month ago about how McDonald's beef was only (some low number) % beef. Some other guy beat me to posting the Snopes link, so I replied something along the lines of, "I'm sure glad someone else checks Snopes besides me." Not 2 minutes later she posted (in all caps), "IT ISN'T ABOUT FUCKING SNOPES, DON'T EAT THAT FUCKING SHIT, IT IS BAD FOR YOU!"

So I responded with, "Oh yeah, sorry about that. Hey, fun fact. Organic food is fertilized with dead babies. I read it on the internet, so DON'T EAT THAT FUCKING SHIT, IT IS BAD FOR YOU!"

One less friend
    Heh, I snopes my mother in law over that McDonalds beef thing.

Tuconots
    I have given up trying to educate most of my facebook friends. I will only bother with family members. This gem was on my feed yesterday.

427908_377051989077855_1981035263_n.jpg

Registered Dragonlord Deathwing's Avatar
    Tuconots
    The Manhattan Project developed aspartame? Cool!

Tuconots
    its what makes fission possible. u want fission going on inside you?? gawd how fucking dumb are u?

Tuconots
    For a second I thought they were referring to printed circuit boards and I was genuinely confused as to why they were pissed about that

Tuconots
    Here's the latest crazy. I didn't attach the 30 pages of insults being thrown my way after I mentioned I use it as a training tool for my dog.

Spoiler: 

Tuconots
    How come they charge so fucking much for shark any time I look at the seafood menu here in California then? That's one of the few fish I don't really mind eating.

I agree, that's one of the few bleeding-heart animal lover things I support. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen (as is killing the rhino for its horn, just sharks are more plentiful so far). If nothing else, they should require them to bring all that shark meat back and give it away for free. I'm sure there are plenty of poor people that would eat it if you grilled that shit up right there off the boat. Hell, I know I would.

Tuconots
    I assume that picture is what happens when you put the prong collar on your dog and then swing him around by the leash like you're doing a hammer throw?

Tuconots
    Yeah it's basically impossible for a dog to do that to himself unless he goes absolutely nuts while you have the collar on him. Pinch collars are quite safe unless you fuckin hammer throw your dog while he's wearing it.
    Draegan is a faggoty piece of shit who sold the forum to mmorpg.com just to spite us. Register at the new site.

ReReRolled.org - A Gaming Community

Tuconots
    Yeah, that's just willful fucking animal abuse. If you have to actually do that to a dog to train him, you are not only bad at it you are criminally bad at it.

I don't like those collars, but for big willful dogs I can see how they'd be a safe, viable tool.

Tuconots
    there's nothing wrong with prong collars, they're just miss-used 99% of the time, you don't pull on the leash/collar ever, you're not even supposed to direct the dog with the leash, the only reason a leash is attached to a dog is b/c it's usually the law in all states and to give a quick correction or "snap".

the problem is usually, when untrained owners (yes owners not dogs) think that their strong (insert breed that would scare you off the lawn) dog can be controlled with a prong collar by pulling back (which doesn't work and defeats the purpose of the prong collar entirely) on the leash... usually when the dog is already in mid attack or on it's hind legs.

and with the sharks, like i said b4, they're not gonna bring the sharks back to shore b/c it would use up fuel/time and they probably even have to pay processing fees or whatever

Registered User Frenzied Wombat's Avatar
    Tuconots
    I have an English Bulldog and when he decides he doesn't want to move, good luck getting him to do so by employing any type of collar/leash. He'd rather choke to death than give in and let you move him. Halfway through his walk if he decides he doesn't want to move, he'll sit his ass down and either expect you to carry him or wait for a treat bribe. Tug on his choke chain or yank the leash and he digs the fuck in like it was a WW I trench.

Tuconots
    I use one of those prong collars so I was a little upset and got sucked into the debate on facebook. I was called barbaric, an idiot, I had low IQ, I should be shot (thanks FB), or worse I should wear one all day. I pointed out that this will never happen unless A) You tie a dog to a tree with this one, or B) Your dog tries to attack someone and is not taking no for an answer.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a prong collar for training, which is what we do. We have a Corgi/JR Terrier so it is a ball of energy, and it's extremely friendly. We had to take it to obedience school, which is where this collar was recommended. The gist of it is if the dog does something undesirable you do a quick snap and repeat as necessary until the command is completed - then you treat the dog. Our dog isn't the most behaved dog in the world, but the collar has worked wonders.

It also gets excited when we take it out because it knows it's walk and treat time. My dogs neck doesn't look like that.

People are idiots.

Rav Scam-Free Zone
    Tuconots
    It's the same thing as spanking and kids. Used in moderation, correctly, it works. But you have assholes beating their kids into a bloody pulp and now spanking is evil /shrug People are dumb, don't sweat it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Flex View Post
    The lag makes you last longer.

Tuconots
    it's not even the same thing really, a lot of laziness and neglect and ignorance has to go into creating that kind of wound. what most people do not realize is that prong collars are not sharp or pointed, they're actually rounded, which is better than flattened (b/c flattened could dig into skin easily). i'm pretty sure the only way to do that type of damage to yourself is to wrap one around your leg and hang from it for hours before the prongs break skin.

the only way for this to happen to a dog is if it was chained to a tree (like noodle said) with a prong collar and constantly ran out and chocked itself a few hundred times, finally breaking skin. (or on it's hind legs or whatever)

hell most ppl walk their dogs with a leash attached to the collar, a collar isn't for walking, it's for identification, you need either use a leed(lead) (the slipnot) or attached the leash to a prong collar.

and then of course most ppl aren't even trained to walk a dog, you can tell right away when the dog is in front of the owner, and then the owner just instinctively pulls on the leash, like they do with a horse to "reign him in".

if they leave the prong collar on the dog 24/7 and do the horse pulling, then yea that could also lead to that picture.

it's really bad owners, from both sides, ppl who do this to their dog are horrible and the idiots who are against pronged collars are obviously idiots and don't know the first thing about training/walking their dogs properly. it's like the first thing you're introduced to in obedience school (which is really to train owners and not the dog, dogs are easily trained, owners are not), they obviously haven't had any decent schooling/training about their dogs and probably carry around their 5lb shitty dogs like a human ornament.

Tuconots
    You are really limited in the ways that you can effectively communicate with an animal and if you take the possibility of causing them mild pain or discomfort off the table then it gets even more difficult to get them to do things. A dog is extremely intelligent and you have a lot more options with them then you would with, say, a cow. Let's face it, cows are dumb. About the only tools you have to work with are their natural fear of humans, their herd instinct, and if that's not working, mild pain such as an electric prod. PETA will tell you how cruel an electric prod is, but I have been shocked with them many times and I wouldn't describe it as painful. It makes you jump, but it's more startling than painful. I do think people overuse them, not because of the pain but because it upsets the cattle and makes them harder to handle, but properly applied they can definitely be the most effective and human method of getting a cow who has decided not to go with the program to change her mind. It should never be the first option, but it does have it's place in many situations IMO.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by lanx View Post
    it's not even the same thing really, a lot of laziness and neglect and ignorance has to go into creating that kind of wound. what most people do not realize is that prong collars are not sharp or pointed, they're actually rounded, which is better than flattened (b/c flattened could dig into skin easily). i'm pretty sure the only way to do that type of damage to yourself is to wrap one around your leg and hang from it for hours before the prongs break skin.

the only way for this to happen to a dog is if it was chained to a tree (like noodle said) with a prong collar and constantly ran out and chocked itself a few hundred times, finally breaking skin. (or on it's hind legs or whatever)

hell most ppl walk their dogs with a leash attached to the collar, a collar isn't for walking, it's for identification, you need either use a leed(lead) (the slipnot) or attached the leash to a prong collar.

and then of course most ppl aren't even trained to walk a dog, you can tell right away when the dog is in front of the owner, and then the owner just instinctively pulls on the leash, like they do with a horse to "reign him in".

if they leave the prong collar on the dog 24/7 and do the horse pulling, then yea that could also lead to that picture.

it's really bad owners, from both sides, ppl who do this to their dog are horrible and the idiots who are against pronged collars are obviously idiots and don't know the first thing about training/walking their dogs properly. it's like the first thing you're introduced to in obedience school (which is really to train owners and not the dog, dogs are easily trained, owners are not), they obviously haven't had any decent schooling/training about their dogs and probably carry around their 5lb shitty dogs like a human ornament.
    Glad someone agrees.

Like I said.. it's a tool, that when used properly, creates amazing results. We almost always use the prong collar when walking out dog and she's really good about it. She stays right by our side and if she loses attention or wanders too far forward we give a little snap and she comes back. When we first started training her it was definitely a bit more force behind the snap, but now even a light snap and she knows. Sometimes we'll take her for a walk without it and she's one of the most behaved dogs on the street.

People are such bleeding heart faggots about animals. I'm not treating my dog cruelly, she needs boundaries and I think she enjoys that.

If anything I'm a big pussy about my dog. It's spoiled with treats, more toys than most babies, multiple beds throughout the house, a fenced in yard, and she even uses the guest bedrooms tempur-pedic bed as her night time bed. She lives the goddamn life of a queen.

Really struck a nerve with people calling me all sorts of names and telling me I should die on facebook. I bet those are animal hoarders anyways.

Tuconots
    quit putting plague chains on your dogs you pussy, if I see you put one of those death machines on another dog I'm going to wrap a chihuahua sized on your dick and yank until you love me

Tuconots
    +1 for plague chains

Edit: Gotta spread it around more

Tuconots
    what happened to good ole shock collars

Tuconots
    if you need prong collars it's because you haven't dominated your dog, and you're too lazy to do it.

thats animal abuse plain and simple.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Iannis View Post
    Yeah, that's just willful fucking animal abuse. If you have to actually do that to a dog to train him, you are not only bad at it you are criminally bad at it.

I don't like those collars, but for big willful dogs I can see how they'd be a safe, viable tool.
    I use that collar on my dog (65-70 lb black lab who hunts) from time to time. I used to hate them but I put it on ONE time and saw how safe they were. If you have tried everything to prevent your dog from pulling they are an angelic miracle from heaven. Seriously one little pull, the dog feels the prongs and they nope the fuck out of ever pulling again. He never exhibits any pain/whining/discomfort if I put it on him. Granted I rarely put it on him anymore now because, *gasp*, he's learned not to pull because of it, but still.

I lol at idiots who think they're cruel/harmful. Ditto for shock collars. I baby the shit out of my dog and I'm the most over protective owner ever and believe they're fine. If a dog every gets hurt by one of them, just like 99.99% of dog issues, it was the owners fault. In this case for yanking the hell out of it or fucking hanging the dog by it. Those things are not meant to be pulled on by the human. You're supposed to put it on the dog and let the thing do it's job with little to no effort on your end. Just hang on and the dog will figure it out.
    Last edited by jeydax; 07-02-2014 at 10:42 PM.

who knows!
    Tuconots
    Out of curiosity, how does the prong collar work if not by pain?

Tuconots
    In the dog world if two dogs are dogging and one decides to act the fool, the other will give it a quick non skin breaking bite, which basically means "that was stupid dont do that a gain" this is known as a correction. A quick snap of a leed or leash will do the same. Sometimes you rescue a dog who is immune to the quick snap cuz of sucky owner, or super hyper dog or really thick neck. This is where you can use a prong collar, it acts as a row of teeth snapping the dog out of a bad habbit. Again you have to snap the leed, leash, or prong collar, you cant tug pull on it, you have to give the dog a quick "WTF!"

Tuconots
    The dachshund my wife and I adopted while living in Houston was found on a feeder road with one of those choke chains wrapped around his neck twice. It was so tight they had to cut it off of him. Now if you need a choke chain for a dog who weighs less than 15 pounds and whose legs are less than 3 inches long then you should probably have your ass kicked.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tred View Post
    The dachshund my wife and I adopted while living in Houston was found on a feeder road with one of those choke chains wrapped around his neck twice. It was so tight they had to cut it off of him. Now if you need a choke chain for a dog who weighs less than 15 pounds and whose legs are less than 3 inches long then you should probably have your ass kicked.
    And you missed the post describing how and why these collars work along with the posts describing when they should be used. My dogs only 30 pounds and half corgi so it has tiny legs too.

I love how the news is going batshit insane over this cheerleader hunting game in Africa, makes me happy in the pants.

Thread Information