Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HDTVs

Tuconots

HDTVs

So my mom told me my father finally wants an HDTV. Normally I research these things inside and out, but right now with a new home I just have NO time to research this in-depth. I haven't kept up with prices for over two years. So let's say we're aiming for $800-1000 (preferably toward 800) and a viewing distance of 12-15 feet (I assume that's 46 inches or more)... what is recommended with that in mind? What brands should I stick with, what should I steer clear of?

Tuconots
    I bought this one back in August, following recommendations from the FoH board and another I frequent: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i00

Very happy with it. The picture quality seems really good and the 3D is awesome. Yes, I use 3D whenever a movie is available in the format... it hasn't gotten old yet.

In the Panhandle waiting for death by Tornado.
    Tuconots
    Personally I find my plasma to have a much better picture than any of my friends LCD/LEDs. You can get a 50 inch 3D Panasonic plasma in that price range off Amazon.

Tuconots
    Kinda depends on what they'll use it for. If they're just gonna hook up a cable box and nothing more, you really don't need 3D. Personally I've had nothing but good experience with Samsungs. If they don't use it for Blu-ray, or full 1080p video much. I'd just get the cheapest 120hz lcd/led or plasma TV of a particular size you can get with a brand you actually can depend on.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN46EH...5369357&sr=1-2

Would be my recommendation, just bought the 40" for myself as I have no particular interest in wearing glasses to watch tv/movies.
    Last edited by Erie; 12-13-2012 at 03:35 AM.

Tuconots
    Get a plasma if the TV is in a basement or somewhere with very little natural light or not a lot of windows. Plasma have glass screen covers and they glare like a sonofabitch if there's a lot of ambient light in the room, but I prefer the picture quality to LCD/LED. The picture on a $600 50" Plasma is going to look as good as the highest-end LEDs that are 2-3x the price.

That being said, if it's going in a normal living room with a lot of windows around, go LCD/LED. They have plastic screen covers and glare very little in highly lit areas.

Tuconots
    I should note that my apartment has huge windows, so light would be an issue with a plasma. Also, I do watch 1080p content (Vudu), including 3D, and HD (720p?) Netflix and Amazon streams.

I don't watch network/cable TV, so not sure how it would compare. Also, as others have mentioned, if the room is fairly dark, plasma is most likely more bang for the buck.

Tuconots
    What do you guys think of this TV?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ibUnpTqbCIX7Xg

It's a 60" LG Plasma and the "secret" price is $799.99. Reviews seem good as does the price. I am thinking about it. I don't care about any apps or smart TV features because I have a HTPC.

Tuconots
    I've had the 50" version of that LG plasma for a year now, and i love it. Looks phenomenal.

Tuconots
    Yes, ambient light will kill your plasma picture quality. Not only do they have glass panels, but the panels are usually greyish in color, so with a lot of light in the room, you'd have greyish blacks. That being said, I have a Pioneer Kuro plasma and will only trade it for a 70"+ OLED TV or 80"+ LCD

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by BrutulTM View Post
    What do you guys think of this TV?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ibUnpTqbCIX7Xg

It's a 60" LG Plasma and the "secret" price is $799.99. Reviews seem good as does the price. I am thinking about it. I don't care about any apps or smart TV features because I have a HTPC.
    For that price you're going to be hard pressed to find any 60" TV that is any better than that, so it sounds like a good deal. Might be a last years model they are trying to blow out, but nothing wrong with that, get some of the best deals that way. The closest I can find in Panasonic plasma are several hundred dollars more, so if this is as good as people say, I see no reason not to grab it for that cost.

Tuconots
    I've been looking into saving up to buy a bigger TV for my new place since my old 42 inch LCD is way too small for my 13 feet viewing distance. I've been looking at the 2012 Panasonic Plasmas since people have been raving about their image quality, but I'm little bit concerned about lighting and Plasmas.

Just how much does lighting affect them? Currently I have some pretty nice sunblocking curtains over all of my windows due to my hatred of sun-glare and they do an excellent job of blocking out light, so I think I'm okay there. Would I always have to have the over-head lights and stuff off while using the TV though? Supposedly the new model Panasonics have improved stuff for lighting too and I'm not a fan of turning of all my lights since it kinda messes with my eyes if my TV is the only light source.

Tuconots
    We have a 50" Panasonic Viera and a reasonable amount of ambient lighting (don't know about overheads/tracks as we don't have that) doesn't seem to wash out the colour. I'd say that with the curtains, you'll likely be good to go. I imagine it would help if you had overhead lights on a dimmer if required.

Having owned one for years, I can tell you that I'd buy another Panasonic in an instant.

Tuconots
    I've got a 40" Sony, and down at the 40-46" range they're pretty good this year. The 5-series from Samsung isn't bad either, from the reviews I've seen, so I'd take a look at those.

I considered getting a plasma, but I have gigantic windows, and in the summer I get the evening sun streaming in, and it washes out stuff pretty badly on a LCD screen.

I LOVE HIBBERT LIKE OMG
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboo View Post
    I've had the 50" version of that LG plasma for a year now, and i love it. Looks phenomenal.
    Same, but I've only had mine about 8 months.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I've been looking into saving up to buy a bigger TV for my new place since my old 42 inch LCD is way too small for my 13 feet viewing distance. I've been looking at the 2012 Panasonic Plasmas since people have been raving about their image quality, but I'm little bit concerned about lighting and Plasmas.

Just how much does lighting affect them? Currently I have some pretty nice sunblocking curtains over all of my windows due to my hatred of sun-glare and they do an excellent job of blocking out light, so I think I'm okay there. Would I always have to have the over-head lights and stuff off while using the TV though? Supposedly the new model Panasonics have improved stuff for lighting too and I'm not a fan of turning of all my lights since it kinda messes with my eyes if my TV is the only light source.
    Turn your lights on like you normally would, and sit down and look at your LCD while it's turned off. Can you actually see the reflection of any of the lights directly on the screen? Can you directly see the reflection of a lamp or anything? As long as the angles aren't set up to where your viewing angle gives you direct reflection to a light, you should be fine. An illuminated room is ok with a Plasma, you just don't want any lights shining directly at it(which is usually sunlight in most rooms) I have overhead pot lights in my finished basement that point straight down from the ceiling and it's perfectly fine to leave them on, I just make sure not to leave any lamps on since their light shines out horizontally towards the TV. If I'm on my couch and I have a table lamp on right next to me, there's an obvious, bright reflection in the screen, but lighting that isn't in the field of view of the TV and shining towards it is fine.

If you have overhead lights (pot lights or track lighting) just make sure they are pointed straight down, or away from the TV, not right towards it and a Plasma is fine. Treat the plasma like you would treat a mirror, any light that shines at it, and at an angle that would be reflected back towards where you are sitting is going to be really annoying.
    Last edited by joeboo; 12-14-2012 at 05:05 PM.

Tuconots
    Best buy has the lg 60 inch plasma for 800. Getting that one myself shortly

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkorin View Post
    We have a 50" Panasonic Viera and a reasonable amount of ambient lighting (don't know about overheads/tracks as we don't have that) doesn't seem to wash out the colour. I'd say that with the curtains, you'll likely be good to go. I imagine it would help if you had overhead lights on a dimmer if required.

Having owned one for years, I can tell you that I'd buy another Panasonic in an instant.
    I bought a 60" Panasonic plasma from amazon about three months ago after seeing it recommended on the FOH boards, checking cnet and avs forums, and finally going to see them in person at the local bestbuy. Best picture quality and awesome for watching sports and movies. You can find professional calibration settings out there that dial it in.

Tuconots
    Btw, what do you guys think of the big Mitsubishi DLP TVs? Currently the viewing distance from where I sit in my recliner to my TV screen is about 13 feet.

According to this: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html I would need a 95.6 inch screen to achieve SMPTE minimum viewing angle or a 116.3 inch screen to achieve THX recommended viewing angle.

I really can't setup a projector here (plus I don't want to deal with bulb costs from what I've read about them vs the amount of my TV usage) which leaves me either with going with a much smaller Plasma/LED set or with the 82 or 92 inch DLPs. Also a 92 inch is right on 12 feet for the maximum viewing distance for full visual acuity. The maximum for an 82 is 10.7 feet.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Sean; 12-14-2012 at 11:58 PM.

I LOVE HIBBERT LIKE OMG
    Tuconots
    My parents have the 92. It's heavy, you're gonna have to buy bulbs. You need a humungous stand for it. Also DLP picture quality is pretty meh unless you get it professionally calibrated. Even calibrated it won't hold a candle to plasma.

However for sheer screen size they can't be beat. I'd get one now if you're thinking of it, they stopped making them (or are getting ready to) so they're going to go up in price, not down.

Tuconots
    Yeah, the bulb thing is a big concern too. I'm probably not going to be able to afford to buy any TV in the size/qualities that I want until about June, maybe even July, and I'd prefer to buy something that will last me a long time. The supposed 100,000 hours on the newer Panasonic Plasmas is a big selling point to me, but I'd definitely want at least a 65 inch Viera ST50 if I went for one which is quite spendy.

Unfortunately I can't really change my living room setup to accommodate viewing distances better. Of course my options are all going to probably completely change after January and CES too, but I'd like to get an idea of whether it's worth it to go for smaller and top quality or bigger to line up with my viewing distance but not as high quality.

My other option would be going through Aaron's here, but god those leases just end up being waaay more than the TVs are actually worth and they don't have a great selection.

I LOVE HIBBERT LIKE OMG
    Tuconots
    I think Aaron's carries the 73 and maybe the 82 but you're talking about paying like over $4k for a $1.5k tv. Probably a bad idea.

Tuconots
    Btw, for reference here's a shot taken sitting in my recliner with the camera right at my face:

As you can see, that 42 inch TV is pretty damned small for how far away I am. Also here's another shot I took a while back with a border around on how big it would look as a 65 inch:

I'd really like to go as big as I can, but not dealing with DLP and Projector bulbs seems to leave me at 65 inch Plasmas or 70 inch LCDs. I think my option then would be either a super high quality Panasonic or a big Vizio.

Tuconots
    I had a DLP and I liked it, but I doubt I'd ever go back for various reasons. I actually never had a lamp go out (even though I bought a spare...go figure), but the entire "light cartridge" I think it was called did. Fortunately it was under warranty. Then the power supply went bad. Then, after the warranty was out it started randomly overheating and shutting down. To get anyone to look at that kind of stuff is just prohibitively expensive nowadays. I don't know what plasma/LCD repair is like yet, but I doubt they have to bring out several giant hunks of metal (light cartridge, power supply, etc.) to troubleshoot the problem.

Aside from that, from your setup there, you'd have to buy a different stand to make a DLP work in that space unless that one is significantly bigger than it appears in the picture. So that's another hundred bucks or more, depending upon how nice of a stand you want. It's also going to stick out into the room more due to the depth of the TV itself, although it does seem you have room for that. Anyone sitting on your couch won't have the greatest viewing angle either, but I don't know if that is a big concern for you.

If you can save up for a bigger plasma I would go that direction, honestly. Or make do with something a little smaller than 70 inches, which gets you up into much bigger dollar amounts. I know the math says bigger, but if you could make do with a 60" plasma you'd save a TON of money over a 70" anything. And it would probably be such an improvement over what you have that you'd be fine with the size. But only you can really decide that.

Tuconots
    The flag kinda freaks me out... I'd get rid of it if I were you. :P Everything else is fine, though I hate how expensive speaker stands are right now. /drunken rant

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Erie View Post
    The flag kinda freaks me out... I'd get rid of it if I were you. :P
    Well that, and the framed picture of some anime chick. Screams serious creeper. Is going to impact your ability to (legally)bed a chick by like 75% at least once you get her back to your place.

Tuconots
    That's all video game stuff. I love my game collectibles. If someone doesn't like it, tough shit.

Tuconots
    That's all video game stuff. I love my game collectibles. If someone doesn't like it, tough shit.
    Do you bro.

I would say 65" might be a tad overkill. I sit a little further back than you, and went from 42" plasma to http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER...dp_ob_title_ce 55".

The difference is significant, and I didn't pay out the ass for it. Agreed with everything said about plasmas as well - I've yet to see an LED/LCD look better than either of my plasmas. Watching the 42" even in bed now makes the tv seem small after hanging out in the living room. 65"... I can't even fathom that in a room the size of my living room (13' X 18')

Tuconots
    Well, according to all the viewing distance stuff I should have a 92-116 inch screen for optimal viewing angles with 13 feet between me and the TV screen. I don't think 65 would be overkill.

Tuconots
    I sit about the same amount back, and 106" is pretty damn near perfect. Could be a foot or two bigger or smaller without making much difference, although obviously bigger would be better. Kind of wish I'd gone 120", but no sense spending a grand or two on a new screen and the better part of a weekend setting it up. At that distance playing PC games at 1080p, text can be pretty difficult to read even with near perfect vision. Not sure if going up to 120" would make much difference in that regard.

You need a pretty bright projector if you don't have really good light control though. My PT-AE2000U is borderline brightness wise unless it's dark outside, as my blinds kind of suck. Fucking panel is going on it though, blotches everywhere. Second projector in a row where the LCD panel has shat out after a couple bulbs, so around 4000-5000 hours. This one is Panasonic, previous was Hitachi.

Tuconots
    Don't spend 3 grand on a 92" rear-projection DLP(they look like shit compared to LED/Plasma), and don't get a projector if your TV is on 6+ hours a day, it'll cost you a fortune in bulbs over the next few years.

Get a 65" Plasma and call it good if you need something huge. You'll be buying a new TV in less than 5 years anyways, as cheap and as big as LED/LCDs are getting, not to mention whatever the new technology is around the corner(4K reso?) that you'll want in the next 5 years.

Personally, I'll never spend more than maybe $1500 on a TV, as quick as technology moves forward. I spent $3500 on a 56" Rear-projection HDTV in 2000, used it for 10 years because I spent so damn much on it that I felt like I didn't want to get rid of it while it was still working. I'm kicking myself that I didn't move on to Plasma/LCD sooner. My LG Plasma is such a better picture and with better viewing angles.

Tuconots
    I'm really not worried about 4k*2k being "the next big thing" as it's pretty much Snake Oil due to visual acuity and what we can actually process at regular TV viewing distances.

You guys have really gotten me psyched on the Panasonic Plasmas. From reading up on them it seems the black levels on them are pretty amazing. The Phillips LCD I have now is pretty bad for really dark scenes (beggars can't really be choosers and my dad got it for me when I moved into my new place about 5 years ago and couldn't move my HUGE CRT).

Tuconots
    I'm really not worried about 4k*2k being "the next big thing" as it's pretty much Snake Oil due to visual acuity and what we can actually process at regular TV viewing distances.

You guys have really gotten me psyched on the Panasonic Plasmas. From reading up on them it seems the black levels on them are pretty amazing. The Phillips LCD I have now is pretty bad for really dark scenes (beggars can't really be choosers and my dad got it for me when I moved into my new place about 5 years ago and couldn't move my HUGE CRT).
    The best thing about the panny's is they are SUPER easy to set the colors on (like a professional installer would do). Difference is night and day after the levels are set correctly than right out of box. I've never seen a tv look as good as both of my panny's. Literally. I'm sure Samsung/LG are just as good, but perhaps the colors were off.

Tuconots
    for calibration goto a site like avsforum.com

goto the forums for the type of display you have

plasma, lcd, led-lcd, projectors, etc

once you are in the forum, just search for your make/model and someone will have -a stock professional calibration setup, and you just tweak some from there.
    Last edited by Lenardo; 12-18-2012 at 01:13 AM.

Tuconots
    The cnet guys also have settings on their forums. I used their 50" settings for my 60" (same model), and it looks fantastic

Tuconots
    Question for the guys/gals that own a plasma. I'm looking to grab a Panasonic P50ST50 and have heard great reviews with picture quality and overall how fantastic this set is, but what I'm concerned about is image retention and gaming. A lot of games now have some form of fixed HUD which I obviously do not want to get burned into the screen. Is a plasma television a bad choice for my usage of a TV -- primarily video games with some Netflix and moves tossed in?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by sl4ck3r View Post
    Question for the guys/gals that own a plasma. I'm looking to grab a Panasonic P50ST50 and have heard great reviews with picture quality and overall how fantastic this set is, but what I'm concerned about is image retention and gaming. A lot of games now have some form of fixed HUD which I obviously do not want to get burned into the screen. Is a plasma television a bad choice for my usage of a TV -- primarily video games with some Netflix and moves tossed in?
    My wife and I use our Panasonic plasma for gaming quite often, and we haven't caused any damage to the thing after years of playing games with HUDs and whatnot for hours and hours at a time. I mean, I wouldn't leave the thing on for days with a fixed HUD, but hours is definitely not an issue.

Tuconots
    I played Dark Souls for like 60 hours straight, had image retention for like an hour after I stopped playing. It's not bad, and it gets less and less noticeable the more hours the set gets. It's simply not an issue.

Tuconots
    huh... Sean has the exact same couch as me. Not sure how that makes me feel. Damn comfortable couch though.

Tuconots
    I've had a LG Plasma for a year and a half or so now, and no issues with burn-in/retention. About the worst I've seen is when I leave ESPN just running all day long during college football or basketball season, with the damn ESPN scroll along the bottom with a never-changing ESPN logo. It'll sit there all day (8+ hours) and while you can see it a bit when you finally change the channel, it fades away in maybe 5 minutes of displaying something else.

No issues with gaming at all either, it's seen plenty of use from my 360

Tuconots
    Has anyone actually ever used 3D with their HDTVs?

Tuconots
    Good question. I have never encountered anyone in real life or on the internet that actually owns and uses a 3D TV at home.

Tuconots
    Ditto, everyone I know has a 50" or bigger LCD/Plasma, and no one uses 3D even if it's a feature on their TV. In everything I read about the CES this year, 3D was pretty much ignored, no one featured it or really even mentioned it. Maybe the horrible trend is finally about to go away.

Tuconots
    I have a couple of friends who have a 3D TV, and every time I ask them what's so great about it, they find some way to change the subject. I've never heard a good thing beyond "hey, Avatar looks incredible in 3D".

Tuconots
    Funny that you ask this, as during the 49er game this weekend my TV popped up with a "3D signal detected" message so I said why not? Wasn't sure my glasses would be charged up, but apparently they hold a charge for months if you don't use them. I watched the game in 3D for about 5 minutes before turning it back off because it didn't really do anything exciting for me.

I've watched a couple of downloaded movies in 3D just to do it, and I have the Dredd 3D bluray sitting here waiting to try out, but beyond that...if the glasses had not come free with the TV I certainly wouldn't have bothered. It is just not fun to sit there with glasses on throughout an entire movie, at least for me. It can be neat to try, but not something I'd do more than once every few months just for the novelty.

Tuconots
    same, have a 60" aquos 3d (active glasses, not passive) in living room and it never gets used. It was fun the first few times but most of the 3D movies look shittier in 3D than 2D (darker, fuzzier), the viewing angles are horrendous - you pretty much have to be straight forward around 8-12 feet away to see things in 3D, if you are at an angle it looks terrible.

Have tried gaming a few times on it too but it just looked awful and silly, the only one that was fun was Gran Turismo 5. I prefer gaming on my PC nowadays so its not really an option most of the time.

Tuconots
    I watched the last Harry Potter movie in 3D from HBO with my wife last night. 3D is fucking awesome. I love gaming with it; AC3, Killzone 3, Call of Duty titles, they're all awesome. I have an 47" LG Cinema passive 3D set. Viewing angles are great, glasses are cheap, there's no eye strain like active and you don't need to worry about charging or changing batteries.
    Last edited by Lenas; 01-15-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Tuconots
    I have a television issue that perhaps someone here can diagnose rather than starting a new thread. I had just hooked up an HDMI switcher, and about 30 mins after doing so, my TV turned of on its own. I turned it back on and the same thing happened a sorry while later. I unplugged the HDMI switcher in case that was causing it but the same thing happened shortly after.

Then the next time it turned off I was unable to get it to turn back on. What's odd is the TV was slowly flickering a dull gray color on the screen even though it was off, and I could hear a hissing or buzzing from the ac adapter that was in sync with the screen flickering. I ordered a new ac adapter in case that's the issue, but if that doesn't solve the issue does anyone else have any ideas? Could an HDMI switcher kill my TV like that? Of the new ac adapter works I'd be worried to try the HDMI switcher again. I've already missed one week of payoffs with no TV!

The TV is a 46" led Westinghouse (grad student, so I'm poor!)

Tuconots
    Hey - I dunno who posted at old FoH forums about a samsung dlp with white dots or whatever. Anyways, my dads tv did that same shit and I fixed it with that part from shopjimmy.

So thanks to whatever bro that was.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinch View Post
    I have a television issue that perhaps someone here can diagnose rather than starting a new thread. I had just hooked up an HDMI switcher, and about 30 mins after doing so, my TV turned of on its own. I turned it back on and the same thing happened a sorry while later. I unplugged the HDMI switcher in case that was causing it but the same thing happened shortly after.

Then the next time it turned off I was unable to get it to turn back on. What's odd is the TV was slowly flickering a dull gray color on the screen even though it was off, and I could hear a hissing or buzzing from the ac adapter that was in sync with the screen flickering. I ordered a new ac adapter in case that's the issue, but if that doesn't solve the issue does anyone else have any ideas? Could an HDMI switcher kill my TV like that? Of the new ac adapter works I'd be worried to try the HDMI switcher again. I've already missed one week of payoffs with no TV!

Not being an electrician I can't say for certain, but it seems doubtful that a switcher would cause that kind of problem, but you never know. I suppose if the HDMI types (1.2, 1.3, etc.) are different it could have caused problems, but from my understanding it will just limit things like transmitting audio with the video, not a complete meltdown.

My guess is that you are on the right course with the new power supply, but obviously you're going to want to try it for awhile without the switcher and then add it in and see what happens. I can think of no reason that a switcher would destroy a power supply, but like I said, not an electrician.

Tuconots
    Picked up a 60" Vizio LED TV yesterday and it's so damn wonderful. It's really another level vs. my old 40" Samsung LCD. I watched the Avengers bluray and it was the best movie experience ever outside of a movie theater. I sit 14 feet from my TV and I have had the feeling that 40" wasn't really big enough for quite a while and I was definitely right about that.

Tuconots
    I'm a panasonic plasma man myself. I have had a 50" S1 model from several years ago that has been nothing but great and my father just got the new 55" VT50 which is GORGEOUS. In my opinion, and the opinion of most reviewers, the ST50 models are the best bang for your buck TV out there.

Tuconots
    I almost went with a plasma, but my living room has white walls and a lot of windows and I had some trouble with reflections even on my samsung LCD so I was concerned about that with a plasma. The Vizio screen has a super matte finish and even when it's shut off it's hard to see much of a reflection in it.

After a few more days I am still in love with the huge screen though, if you're thinking about upgrading to a bigger TV, do it. It is awesome. The only downside is that it's now much more obvious when something has bad picture quality. Watching the standard def local commercials on this thing is painful.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinch View Post

It sounds like capacitors to me. How old is the TV?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodleface View Post
    It sounds like capacitors to me. How old is the TV?
    The TV is almost 2 years old. The new ac adapter didn't fix the problem so I am debating between having a professional look at it and taking it apart myself to see if anything is obviously wrong. The TV still won't power on at all. Should have just gotten a square trade warranty!

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by BrutulTM View Post
    Picked up a 60" Vizio LED TV yesterday and it's so damn wonderful. It's really another level vs. my old 40" Samsung LCD. I watched the Avengers bluray and it was the best movie experience ever outside of a movie theater. I sit 14 feet from my TV and I have had the feeling that 40" wasn't really big enough for quite a while and I was definitely right about that.

I picked up a 55" Vizio LED smart TV a few months back and it's by far the best TV I've ever owned. The picture quality is absolutely amazing, it looks great from all angles and took no time at all time mount to the wall. I bought it at Sams Club for around $900 + tax.

Tuconots
    Anyone making a LCD or Plasma in the 100" range that isn't ridiculously expensive? My projector is on it's last legs, the panel inside it is fucked with lots of blotches and miscolorations. This is the second one it's happened to. Not consistent burn in from a game UI or sports ticker, either. Basically I've only gotten about 3-4 years out of my two projectors so far (first one a Hitachi, second a Panasonic). So I'm thinking of getting away from a projector this time around, but I don't want to go down much in size from 106".

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Eomer View Post
    Anyone making a LCD or Plasma in the 100" range that isn't ridiculously expensive? My projector is on it's last legs, the panel inside it is fucked with lots of blotches and miscolorations. This is the second one it's happened to. Not consistent burn in from a game UI or sports ticker, either. Basically I've only gotten about 3-4 years out of my two projectors so far (first one a Hitachi, second a Panasonic). So I'm thinking of getting away from a projector this time around, but I don't want to go down much in size from 106".
    Define ridiculously expensive.

Probably around 15-20k. For that money, you could go to SK or Nippon land to see them first hand.

Tuconots
    The only things you'll find in the 80-90 inch range that is reasonably priced are the hugeass Mitsubishi DLP HDTVs. Can get a 92" for under 5 grand. Its basically a rear-projection HDTV, screen quality is about on par with a middle of the road LCD(probably better than a projector)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...FUeRPAodoVcA6g

In the Panhandle waiting for death by Tornado.
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Lipitaur View Post
    I'm a panasonic plasma man myself. I have had a 50" S1 model from several years ago that has been nothing but great and my father just got the new 55" VT50 which is GORGEOUS. In my opinion, and the opinion of most reviewers, the ST50 models are the best bang for your buck TV out there.
    I have the Panasonic U50 the non 3D one because I fucking hate wearing the 3D glasses since I wear glasses and knew I would never ever use it. I get complimented on the picture of my tv by literally everyone that watches it.

Tuconots
    If you can hold off for a couple years they might hit 100" at a decent price. 80 inchers are around $2400 now.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Eomer View Post
    Sucks to hear you had 2 projectors fail on you. I've been using a Optoma HD72 for the last 3 years or so and looking to upgrade to a BenQ W5000 soon. A friend has the Benq and it's jaw dropping. You can get some very cheap ones if you browse ebay for a bit or you're not afraid to fix shit.
    Last edited by gogusrl; 01-21-2013 at 03:03 AM.

Tuconots
    Yeah, I figured I'd go with a BenQ next time around. Although I'd really like to know how/why then panels are shitting out on me. Doesn't look like an LCD is an option, unfortunately.

Tuconots
    i went from a 120" projector to a 50" LCD and then a 60" LED last year and best decision ever, PJ was fun but I do not miss the hassle of worrying about lights, walking in front of shit, bulbs, etc. Maybe if you have a decked out movie theater room you want to stick with PJ, but otherwise I'd think about a LED/LCD/Plasma.

There are 80-100" OLED 4k screens coming down the pipes, but its still realistically 4-5 years before they are under $5k so I'd pick up something with that kind of timeframe in mind. Within 10 years we should have 100-120" paper thin OLED screens, or something better.

Tuconots
    sharp has a 90" led-lcd for 9 grand...

Tuconots
    http://www.panasonic.com/business/pl...H-103PF12U.asp

Do it Eomer, I know you have to scratch for it (about 15k).

Installed one of these a couple months ago, fucking things come in at close to 500lbs.

Tuconots
    With built-in support for up to a 5 x 5 video wall
    Well then. Now we're talking.

Power requirement for this unit is 220-240V AC (consumes approximately 9% less power than previous version).
    Given the weight and the power requirements of that puppy, not to mention the cost, and it's just not a great fit for me. I'd have to hire an electrician to wire it and a carpenter to reinforce the wall it would be mounted on. Looks like I'll just go with another projector.

Anyone got any good recommendations for a 1080p projector with high light output? I've been using a Panny PT-AE2000U, which has been fine but could be a bit brighter.

Sassy Fat Black Woman Agonizing the Bait Master's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Looking for 55 to 60 inch tv for gaming. Options
    Twitch
    Bnet - istrtedajoke#1960
    steam- old gregg

Tuconots
    Go plasma for gaming if the room/lighting allows it. 600hz is basically overkill, but why not get it if you can? Who knows, maybe the next-gen xbox and playstation won't be capped at 60fps, maybe they will push towards 120(probably doubtful) and you'll already be ready for it. Ghosting is a non-issue with anything you throw at a plasma with that kind of refresh rate. And if you hook your PC up to it and are pushing triple-digit framerates in games, no problem.

Just be aware that Plasmas have a glass cover, and do glare pretty bad if there is a lot of light in the room.

If you can't go plasma because of the room lighting, get a 120hz LCD/LED

Sassy Fat Black Woman Agonizing the Bait Master's Avatar
    Tuconots
    To much light for plasma
    Twitch
    Bnet - istrtedajoke#1960
    steam- old gregg

Tuconots
    Folks anniversary is coming up. Thinking of getting them a wall mount for their 32inch Sony. Looked at Best Buy/Amazon and havent really liked what they have in stock... Thoughts on where else I could take a look at?

Tuconots
    What didn't you like about the ones you looked at?

Tuconots

Tuconots
    Wow. That's a hell of a deal.

Tuconots
    Just bought http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00 for my partner's bedroom since his plasma TV is dying and because it has no HDMI input, lol.

Tuconots
    Bit the bullet on the Panasonic 50ST50 Plasma after I caught a deal at Sears for $800 and had Amazon price match it. Running slides to help with deterring IR, but have also watched a few HD shows here and there on Netflix. Probably put in about 40 hours or so of IR prevention slides, but have been watching vibrant shows/movies (Futurama/Archer/Rango) to help with the process. Good lord the picture is just fantastic with slight adjustments I picked up from avsforum. With that I played 3 hours of Minecraft and didn't notice a thing before or after I ran the TV's own built in IR prevention process.

Tuconots
    i got one of those back in december through a corporate perk, 427 including shipping!

Hullabaloo Caneck Caneck! taebin's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Anyone have a Sonos wireless surround system? Was in Magnolia and asking about 5.1 recommendations for receiver/speakers. Sales guy had glowing recommendations for the Sonos system, had it in his apartment, friends loved it, etc, despite it being quite a bit cheaper than higher end receivers (Yamaha, Onkoyo, Pioneer). He cranked up the sound bar, sub, and rear speakers and it was pretty impressive. I love the ability to buy speakers for the house later on, plug em in, and they automatically jump on the wireless channel and ready to go. He said you can even have different inputs on different speakers on the same channel, so I can be watching whatever upstairs on the 5.1, but wife can be outside or in kitchen listening to music through pandora/spotify. Pretty fucking nifty.

Tuconots
    If it sounds good to you, then what's the problem?

Tuconots
    Hardware failures, poor range of channel, sound distortion in different room layouts, any other various complaints that the sales associate failed to mention.

Tuconots
    Did these things happen to you or are they random interwebs-isms, and if they're the latter, are they the rule or the exception?

Tuconots
    Finally decided on getting one of these: http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P60ST60 - $1445 with their EPP thing.

Panasonic's 2013 version of the ST50. Supposedly it also actually has the GT50's panel in it (and there's no GT line above the ST line anymore, they cut it). Going to be grabbing one either in April or May, I've saved up my money for it since like last June and cannot wait.

Tuconots
    You'll love it

My friend got a gt60 during a pre-super bowl sale, and it's amazing. I didn't need the louvred screen so I went with the lower end model myself

Tuconots
    Oh, and I totally rearranged my apartment: http://imgur.com/a/uHYaB

Hopefully that should be a good lighting setup for the Plasma. I may have to block out light from window in the kitchen from hitting the very side of the TV, but other than that I think I'm good for direct light.

That space in the cubby where the TV is is 59 inches wide and the 60 inch ST60 is 55 inches wide, so it'll fill it up pretty well.

Tuconots
    That setup looks infinitely better for game playing.

Tuconots
    I absolutely cannot recommend the Panasonic Plasma sets enough. Holy shit the image quality on the 60" ST60 I bought is crazy.

Tuconots
    So I ended up caving and bought a 80" Sharp Aquos from Best Buy for $3,300. Last one they had, was the display model, etc so pretty cheap comparatively speaking. Added in the Sonos 5.1 (sorta) system (sound bar, sub, 2 Play-3's mounted in rear). Can't tell you enough how awesome it is. I'll be watching Game of Thrones or something and be into the episode, then it'll just hit me that I'm watching an 80" screen with bad ass surround and I'll start giggling. I'm sure it will wear off soon enough, but I'm basking in the glory for a little while longer.

Had best buy come out and do the install. Grabbed a 50' long HDMI cable from monoprice and HDMI switch made by RocketFish. Put all components (STB, PS3, 360) in a rear closet and ran the HDMI over the media room through attic to drop back down behind TV. Going to grab the Harmony Ultimate when it finally releases for RF capability controlling the devices through closed doors. Everything appears to be completely wireless and clean. Couldn't have asked for more. What's awesome about the Sonos speakers are you can add as many additional Play-3 or Play-5's you want either in the room or in additions around the house, and they can play completely different feeds like Spotify, Pandora, attached NAS drive media library, local radio, etc. Plan on putting one outside by pool and another in kitchen/living area.

I also added a Panasonic 50" ST60 for the living room. Sean isn't exaggerating when he says the picture is stunning. The blacks are so deep and there really isn't much of a glare issue despite the living area having a lot of open windows near it letting in ambient light. I'm seriously contemplating returning it for a 55" or 60" because of how cheap they scale up. I paid $999 for the 50", the 55" is like $1175 and the 60" is $1499. Really didn't want the TV to dominate the living area, but a badass 60" for that cheap? Yes please!
    Last edited by taebin; 05-01-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Tuconots
    So I need some Plasma TV owners to chime in here... I purchased a Samsung Plasma from Costco and brought it home just in time to catch the NHL playoffs, and to my surprise, there is a VERY annoying flickering issue during the game. I quickly googled, and found pages upon pages of "plasma hockey flicker". Anyone have issues with this? Apparently plasmas have an active contrast adjustment (ABL apparently?) that plays havoc on scenes/settings with white backgrounds. I have a splitting headache now from the flickering and am considering returning the tv.

Watched highlights this morning... Same thing. Grrrr... Wish I had gone LED.

Tuconots
    You should be able to turn off active contrast in the display settings. If your AV mode is a pre-defined one, you might need to switch to be able to access it. AVS forums should have a thread dedicated to your model with really good calibrated settings.

Tuconots
    Yup active contrast was the first thing I turned off, as well as the "eco mode" which changes backlighting as well. No luck, still changes and gives a "flickering" effect throughout the game. Just brutal, i'm typically not sensitive AT ALL to refresh rates/FPS's/etc/etc., but this TV literally made me jittery and gave me a splitting headache after 30 min. of the game.

Tuconots
    My dad's panasonic has the same problem. As far as I know it is a known issue and their isn't a way to fix it until they issue a firmware update.

Tuconots
    Yup, found this video on youtube showing exactly what i'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktlkxXNPkbg

Will be returning it for an LED/LCD tomorrow.

Tuconots
    That issue is different than my dads problem... his screen dims and brightens at random times when watching hockey... and only watching hockey.

Tuconots
    i have not noticed any flickering like that on my LG plasma(lg 60pa6500 or something like that), but i have not watched any hockey on it.

Tuconots
    Also have an LG Plasma and I've never seen that. I don't watch hockey games but I've seen plenty of hockey highlights on ESPN, and that's never been an issue at all.

Tuconots
    My father's about to move into a new home, and is thinking about getting the LG Google TV GA7900 for their living area.

Has anyone purchased or used this TV? I cant find any potential issues from online materials and reviews - it looks like a damn fine TV with just about everything you'd want. My main concern is based on my Vizio's crappy connectivity - I use my ps3 or roku instead. I trust LG, Sony, and Google more though.

Most tech sites/blogs reviewing the TV were just the standard BS where they gush about the TV but you get the impression they just read the data sheet and press release and never actually used the TV.

Thanks.

Edit: Found out that they don't support webcams, and my parents like to skype their grandkids through the TV. Their out of country home has one and they love it.
    Last edited by BoldW; 05-03-2013 at 12:43 AM.

Tuconots
    CNET is really the only place for HDTV reviews. The guys on the Engadget HD podcast were talking about it and they basically said that they would like to compete with CNET but it takes like $50K worth of equipment to do the real tests that CNET does and the payback is not worth the investment so CNET kind of has a monopoly on it.

Tuconots
    There's also a couple UK sites, but the TV models they get over there aren't actually identical to the ones we get over here. Sometimes they also get completely different ones.

Tuconots
    Sean must be writing shit for Engadget now. ST60 boners all over http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/03/p...ust-have-HDTV/

Tuconots
    One of the hidden gems of tv review sites that I have found on the internet is a UK site. For videophile/gamers it is by far the best resource I have found for TVs (and now projectors). He includes a number of measurements, input lag, motion resolution, RGB 4:4:4 (essential for HTPC and video game consoles).

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenas View Post
    Sean must be writing shit for Engadget now. ST60 boners all over http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/03/p...ust-have-HDTV/
    Hey, I just know if something's going to be good or not.

Thread Information