[NO Spoilers] Game of Thrones - NO PUSSY SHIT

Banned
    Tuconots
    When's this suppose to start again?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Flunklesnarkin View Post
    When's this suppose to start again?

Tuconots
    Is there anyone who hasn't been spoiled or read the books left?

Tuconots
    i still havent read book 5 yet. but i most definitely have read book 3 and this season should be awesome

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisd View Post
    I don't know anything that will happen next season.

Tuconots
    Well done, be sure to post your impressions.

Banned
    Tuconots
    I stopped reading the novels after A Feast for Crows, I think they released the other half of it now.

It didn't "feel" the same as the other previous books because of the way they split it up. I'm hoping if I wait long enough they will redistribute it in a new form.

I wonder if Martin could do some sort of digital release with the two split up books organized like the previous novels were. It would bypass the publishing limitations at least.

I think I can still enjoy the parts of the story revealed in the show even if I go back and read the novels again. I have been known to reread series I liked in the past.
    Last edited by Flunklesnarkin; 12-09-2012 at 05:39 AM.

Formerly Bristlebane Jackie Treehorn's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Saw this posted on AR15.com.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/130..._.html&page=27

Can't believe I forgot to post this! Back in June, my wife and I were on vacation in Ireland. While we were in Belfast, my wife was starting to come down with a cold, so I wandered around to try to find some cold medicine. I passed a lady on the sidewalk and thought to myself "she looks just like the lady that plays Catelyn Stark", but didn't think any more of it. A bit later while standing in line at a Spar store (like 7-11), I saw a hot redhead waiting for her guy friend to buy cigarettes. I wish I had recognized her at the time.

The next day, we were leaving our hotel and I saw some Game of Thrones signs.

At this point, my wife and I were standing in the lobby and only then did I realize that I actually had walked past Michelle Fairley (Catelyn Stark), and was standing right next to Rose Leslie (Ygritte) in the Spar store the night before. The guy buying cigarettes was Finn Jones (Loras Tyrell).

Then I noticed (cause she's hard to miss) a HUGE amazon of a woman walking towards me with short, bright blond hair. My jaw dropped, it was Gwendolyn Christie (Brienne). I asked her if I could take a picture with her. She politely declined because they were about to leave. She was very nice about it though.

I snapped a few pictures outside. A car came and picked them up a few minutes later. (Full size pic here: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8162/7...3cf54ccb_o.jpg)

Last edited by Jackie Treehorn; 12-13-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Tuconots
    even though her back is turned to the camera you have no problems guessing who that blonde woman is. damn thats a big wench. cute though, but hella big.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Maester Chuk View Post
    even though her back is turned to the camera you have no problems guessing who that blonde woman is. damn thats a big wench. cute though, but hella big.
    Yeah, not much hope of her blending into a crowd. She must get recognized more than any of them lol

MAKE EARTH EXTINCT AGAIN! Abefroman's Avatar
    Tuconots

Registered User Dacianprick, King In The North's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Abefroman 3.0 View Post
    Interesting, but it's all going to taste like piss unless it's really expensive... which it will probably be anyway.
    I want to see if they come out with Arbor Gold.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacianprick View Post
    Interesting, but it's all going to taste like piss unless it's really expensive... which it will probably be anyway.
    I want to see if they come out with Arbor Gold.
    No one wants some expensive sissy wine, give us a good Dornish Red though i'd buy that.

Nights Watch
    Tuconots
    Brewery Ommegang makes some very good Belgian style ales, and they are well priced. I would say the 22oz bottle of Iron Throne will be 6+% abv

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisd View Post
    I haven't read a single book in the series as of yet.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    I haven't read a single book in the series as of yet.
    I'm sure you've heard this a million times by now, but you're really missing out. The books are significantly better than the show, which is quite good in and of itself.

Tuconots
    I'm sure they are, but I refuse to start a series that isn't finished yet and by the pace he is going, wont be finished for another 10 years.

Tuconots
    I'm sure they are, but I refuse to start a series that isn't finished yet and by the pace he is going, wont be finished for another 10 years.
    without going into spoilers. id say 10 years is a seriously ambitious deadline for george RR martin.

Tuconots
    I stopped reading the novels after A Feast for Crows, I think they released the other half of it now.

It didn't "feel" the same as the other previous books because of the way they split it up. I'm hoping if I wait long enough they will redistribute it in a new form.

I wonder if Martin could do some sort of digital release with the two split up books organized like the previous novels were. It would bypass the publishing limitations at least.

I think I can still enjoy the parts of the story revealed in the show even if I go back and read the novels again. I have been known to reread series I liked in the past.
    I do not think that will happen, but I cannot really say why without spoiling Dance.

I am looking forward to this season. It is good to see certain characters develop on screen, as opposed to just in my head.

Tuconots
    This is EXACTLY my husband's position. He's still pissed over the other series (wheel of time I think or something?)

Tuconots
    without going into spoilers. id say 10 years is a seriously ambitious deadline for george RR martin.
    I don't know. Its reported that as part of his contract with HBO Martin's supposed to have this shit wrapping up in time for shooting schedules of future seasons and we're already on 3 at this point.

Banned
    Tuconots
    I haven't read the latest book and I don't think it really matters much, I can always read the series again 10 years down the road when I've forgotten all but the major plot points.

The interesting stuff isn't knowing how a story ends but rather in how it arrives at that point.

It will most definitely take Martin a loooong time to finish this story with the pace he's been going.

I wonder what the TV show will do when it reaches the end of the material? I see three choices really.
    They could end the series in a manner that won't anger too many people, they can make the show go into a temporary hiatus that will most likely become permanent (and people hate cliff hangers), or they can just branch off and make their own original story line.

I'd tend to favor the show making its own story line once they've used up Martin's material.

Tuconots
    Worth it to read the first three and just stop there.

Tuconots
    Good News (don't worry, no spoilers here, just news on show running time increasing)

HBO's Game of Thrones season 3 to feature longer episodes; Plus, a new featurette

One of the common complaints about HBO's Game of Thrones series is simply that there aren't enough episodes. Thankfully, that's kind of a good thing. Although author George R.R. Martin's source material is massive, the producers have been able to faithfully adapt each book, thus far, with striking detail and integrity. However, with season 3 covering the biggest and most popular of the series, A Storm of Swords, the showrunners have not only split the book into two seasons, but are now squeezing out more time per episode.

“There’s almost another full episode’s worth of extra minutes spread across the season,” says showrunner D.B. Weiss “One of the great liberties with HBO is we’re not forced to come in at a specific time. We can’t be under 50 minutes or over 60, but that gives us a lot of flexibility.”

“A super-sized season, as befitting Storm of Swords,” adds David Benioff, the other showrunner for the series. “Last year we had a lot of 52-minute episodes. This year is a lot of 56, 57.” Weiss countered that, saying, “So for people clamoring for another episode, it’s in there. It’s just been cut into tiny pieces.”

The network clarified what the showrunners put out, stating that, “All 10 episodes gained a minute or two from past seasons with the finale very possibly exceeding 60 minutes.”

Tuconots
    I haven't had much time to finish book 3, but it's all I hear from my fiance about how great it is. She wanted to show me something in the back of the book (where it shows the characters in each family, etc) and she showed me this one person's part. So naturally I read up or down one line and received a major spoiler. I absolutely hate that shit.

Can't wait for this season.

Tuconots
    The one part of season two that still confuses me is the ransacking of Winterfell. How did that happen? I assumed the deal was all the Iron Islanders could leave with their lives if they gave up Theon. If the Iron Islanders were the ones to burn down Winterfell and kill everyone, wouldn't they all just be killed by the Winterfell men? Did the Winterfell men pillage the city anyway? I don't understand why Winterfell was destroyed.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    The one part of season two that still confuses me is the ransacking of Winterfell. How did that happen? I assumed the deal was all the Iron Islanders could leave with their lives if they gave up Theon. If the Iron Islanders were the ones to burn down Winterfell and kill everyone, wouldn't they all just be killed by the Winterfell men? Did the Winterfell men pillage the city anyway? I don't understand why Winterfell was destroyed.
    The sack of Winterfell will be explained in season 3 but they really dropped the ball on that whole storyline in season 2. For some reason they also never showed Robb and Cat's reactions to Bran and Rickon's "deaths" so that'll also have to be moved to season 3.

Tuconots
    I wouldn't say they dropped the ball on the storyline, just that it's shuffled around. Them being 1,000's of miles away makes them not knowing yet pretty believable. But yeah, the sacking of Winterfell should get revealed relatively early in the next season.

Nights Watch
    Tuconots
    i am thinking it will be a flashback type scenario from Theon's point of view while he is on the road, most likely in the first episode

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Etoille View Post
    I don't know. Its reported that as part of his contract with HBO Martin's supposed to have this shit wrapping up in time for shooting schedules of future seasons and we're already on 3 at this point.
    Martin also said recently I think that he has at least another couple of years on book 6 before it gets released. That puts us in season 5 of the show. I don't see how it is possible that a wall won't be hit.

Tuconots
    That wall being a completely blocked artery in Martin's heart.

Tuconots
    Probably. No way that dude lives to complete the books at even his current pace. But you have to consider that his current pace is probably the best case scenario. More likely, the next books will take longer or there will be another extension past book 7.

Tuconots
    has JRRM ever said how many books he has outlined for this series? because, goddamn it feels like 8 to 10

Tuconots
    It was supposed to be 5 originally I think, then he pushed it to 7. I don't see how he could possibly wrap shit up in two books, though.

Tuconots
    Two years from now season 4 (book 3) will just be ending, because book 3 is two seasons. Book 4 is also likely to be two seasons, as is book 5, so we are something like six years away from catching up.

Originally the series was supposed to be seven books. George had the idea for the climax of the series, decided there were to many characters and it was too complicated a book to just write, people wouldn't read it, so he wrote the back story. So far all we've read is back story to his original one book idea. Given that it was supposed to be 7 and book 4 got split into two, that means a minimum of 8 books (three more). Given the expansion of each book I'd peg it as more likely that what was supposed to be book 5, 6, and 7 will also become two books each (if not more), so we are looking at 11 books minimum as being more likely.

Assumes his current pace/style of course. One of the many delays in the writing was caused by his contractual obligation to finish his Wildcards books and he powered those suckers out to get back to ASoIaF. If the HBO series put a contractual obligation on him to keep ahead of the series with the published books, there may be hope yet.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by chaos View Post
    It was supposed to be 5 originally I think, then he pushed it to 7. I don't see how he could possibly wrap shit up in two books, though.
    Agreed. Theres way too much going on in the story for the series to be wrapped up in 2 books. Dany getting to westeros and the white walkers especially. The Others is what concerns me the most, theyre supposed to be this great evil lurking in the background - for 5 books now - and it can be wrapped up in 2 books? Not so sure about that. Heres my theory on how the series has progressed:

Martin originally intended the series to be 3 books. A Game of Thrones, Winds of Winter, and A Dream of Spring. Now, Game of Thrones essentially took 3 books to finish. We're now on the road to The Winds of Winter.

BUT

Martin originally wanted a 5 year time span to take place after GoT, so the characters can age, Dany can build an army, ect. He scrapped this idea because he didn't think it would be good reading or whatever. So he decided to just pretty much write two books of exposition, the time inbetween, or whatever you want to call it. Thats why these two books are considered low points of the series (I enjoyed ADwD almost as much as ASoS personally), because they're meant to take care of that 5 year time lapse. Around the time of AFFC being written, GRRM realized it would be more like 7 books. Theres large amount of sources indicating that he wanted to publish AFFC/ADwD as a single volume, but it wasnt physically feasible to cram that many pages (~1800 after said and done) into one book. He didnt like publishing the two seperately according to how time progressed in the series, but by character location. Hence the preface in ADwD.

So...for all intents and purposes AFFC/ADwD is a single volume, published in halves. Consider it book 4. That means 3 more to go.

TLDR: I think the series will (if finished, doubtful) be 8 volumes. The number is typically said to be 7 volumes, but Martin intended AFFC/ADwD to be a single book, so these two together may be considered as a single.

Tuconots
    In my perfect world, where the series gets finished, I have a dream of an epic single volume ASoIAF.

Think of it as a tome. Those epic encyclopedias you see in the library that are so fucking big theyre on an altar. The cover would have runes, maybe even the pages would be printed to have an aged look. When stood up, it would be about 2 feet in height, and maybe 18 inches wide.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by The Master View Post
    Two years from now season 4 (book 3) will just be ending, because book 3 is two seasons. Book 4 is also likely to be two seasons, as is book 5, so we are something like six years away from catching up.

Originally the series was supposed to be seven books. George had the idea for the climax of the series, decided there were to many characters and it was too complicated a book to just write, people wouldn't read it, so he wrote the back story. So far all we've read is back story to his original one book idea. Given that it was supposed to be 7 and book 4 got split into two, that means a minimum of 8 books (three more). Given the expansion of each book I'd peg it as more likely that what was supposed to be book 5, 6, and 7 will also become two books each (if not more), so we are looking at 11 books minimum as being more likely.

Assumes his current pace/style of course. One of the many delays in the writing was caused by his contractual obligation to finish his Wildcards books and he powered those suckers out to get back to ASoIaF. If the HBO series put a contractual obligation on him to keep ahead of the series with the published books, there may be hope yet.
    If that were true, you think HBO would produce what, 15 seasons of this show? No way in hell. 7-8 is a stretch. No way book 4 and 5 get split into two seasons. That would be silly and hugely expensive, and HBO is going to be looking at cutting costs going forward, not adding them.

I've also never read anything about GRRM originally planning a 7 book series. Everything I have read claims he wanted a relatively short series and the story got away from him and it expanded to what we have now. 11 books is such a pipe dream, he'll be dead before 7 gets published, nevermind 11.

Tuconots
    At the pace GRRM is writing and where we are in the story at the end of ADwD, two more books to wrap the whole thing up seems silly.

The whole deal with CENSORED need thorough exposition to have an gravity equal to the other major threads.

Color me skeptical whether or not GRRM both finishes AND creates a compelling narrative when the whole thing is said and done (written). If it ends up being Lancasters V Yorks with some light fantasy and Mongols, then I'ma be a sad panda.
    Last edited by chaos; 12-24-2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: spoilers

Tuconots
    Sorry bro I had to edit your post for slight spoilers. At this point in the show, the thing you mentioned hasn't really been touched on in the show.

Tuconots
    That's cool. Wasn't sure if I was vague enough. Now I know.

Anyway though, it appears GRRM has set expectations for his opus rather high. With his age and writing obligations, he doesn't seem capable of finishing the series "the right way". Who knows though. He could "Dallas" the whole thing and end it with one more book. Or he could be bastard and retroactively retcon it with deft word-play. /yaomingface.jpg

Banned
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Beef Supreme View Post
    At the pace GRRM is writing and where we are in the story at the end of ADwD, two more books to wrap the whole thing up seems silly.

The whole deal with CENSORED need thorough exposition to have an gravity equal to the other major threads.

Color me skeptical whether or not GRRM both finishes AND creates a compelling narrative when the whole thing is said and done (written). If it ends up being Lancasters V Yorks with some light fantasy and Mongols, then I'ma be a sad panda.
    I haven't really read much of GRRM musing on what his inspirations are or any of the spoiler sites.

His fantasy world reminds me some what of Roman era Britain with the warring factions and "the wall" spanning the entire stretch of the kingdom.

Why an intelligent invading force of white walkers wouldn't just sail around the wall though idk. Probably one of those mysteries I'll have to read eventually when I get around to it (or maybe it does happen). Might just pick up the latest book soon and catch up. Probably have to reread the series after having been so long since I read the last book.

If I had to guess is ultimate fate of the world without guessing which particular faction "wins" the realm I'd say these white walkers invade in force and all the warring factions are forced to cooperate to drive them off. It seems the simplest way to resolve the series. Possibly make the accepted ruler of the realm marry Daenerys and the kingdom lives happily ever after. I'd hazard a guess it will end up being Jon Snow as ruler because it would be "unexpected" and people like stories of going from rags to riches.

edit, I guess Daenerys wouldn't have to marry anybody though. Empires have had co-emperors before like the Byzantine Empire. That would give some material for GRRM to base any power structure on.
    Last edited by Flunklesnarkin; 12-24-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Tuconots
    i can easily see book 4 and 5 being split up into 2 seasons each. these are 1000 page books and if people are still watching the show after season 4 (and i damn well know they will) people will continue hang in there for 3 or 4 more seasons to cover them. especially if Martin dies, which he most likely will before he finishes this thing.

Tuconots
    Some weird information in this thread. The series was originally a trilogy, then it was six books (two trilogies linked by the 5 year gap), then it became seven when he scrapped the gap. It could certainly expand further, but it is currently planned to end at seven.

Tuconots
    I read the first book waaaay back, and I got so pissed off over the ending that I never read the others. Now, I don't want to ruin anything too much, so I am staying away so that I can enjoy the show spoiler-free.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    I read the first book waaaay back, and I got so pissed off over the ending that I never read the others. Now, I don't want to ruin anything too much, so I am staying away so that I can enjoy the show spoiler-free.
    You're missing out. No matter how good the show is, it won't touch on the depth and quality of the second and third books, which are among the best fantasy you can find. Hands down one of the best reading experiences you'll have if you're even remotely a fan of fantasy. The show is good, but you should be worried about ruining the books by watching the show, not the other way around.
    " I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"

Tuconots
    And no matter how good the books are....you'll never be able to finish reading the series.

Tuconots
    Doesn't matter. 3rd book is an absolute masterpiece.

Tuconots
    And no matter how good the books are....you'll never be able to finish reading the series.
    I'd imagine the same is true about the show. Does anyone seriously expect them to put out 8 seasons or whatever? I'd say we'll be lucky to hit 5 or 6.
    " I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"

Tuconots
    There was an article I read that basically did say that if Martin were to die, 2 HBO Producers do know a few major plot points that are yet to be published (and from the sounds of it, are not even from the next book). Because as I understand it, he said no one will finish the series but him, so if he dies, everyone is fucked. Except maybe HBO has enough to put some kind of end on the series, at least for TV.

It did also say he was going to remain ahead of the series, but who knows.

Banned
    Tuconots
    With the popularity of the series, I'm sure they would hire a new writer to finish the series for him. Idk, can authors make a will that their story has to die with their passing? It would be a douche move either way if it could be done.

I'm struggling to think of any authors that could take over for GRRM. I'd imagine they would have to be involved in the fantasy or historical fiction genre.

Salvatore is in his 50's but his writings come across as childish to me, I'm not sure he could explore the darker sides of humanity well.

hmmm.. Robin Hobb? She does darker fantasy but she is also about as old as GRRM

Knowing the way stuff works out though, they will probably give it to Terry Goodkind and the story will turn into his own personal diary of rape fantasies.

Tuconots
    i imagine as long as GRRM leaves the basic outline on how intends to finish the series it shouldnt be terribly hard to commission a GRRM styled writer to continue his work. shit, if they could continue to create star trek books and movies over a decade after gene roddenberry's death, then a season of GOT based only on the previous writings of GRRM is completely plausible
    Last edited by Astr0Chuk; 12-26-2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: retards

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures Royal's Avatar
    Tuconots
    To suggest that R.A. Salvatore might lay a finger on the GoT franchise is an extinction level event of an insult to the entire genre.

Banned
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    To suggest that R.A. Salvatore might lay a finger on the GoT franchise is an extinction level event of an insult to the entire genre.
    It would make interesting troll fodder on GoT fan sites. Trying to seriously push that idea onto those fan forums might make for some fantastic fun. I still remember the epic outrage when Salvatore killed off one of the characters in the Star Wars novels. I'm sure he has it in him to kill off more beloved characters here if given the chance. Daenerys has got to go!! Samwell becomes the new Drizzt!!11?

Seriously though, there really is no way GRRM finishes his series. That is the main reason I started tossing out random author names and ruling them out.

I wonder if there are any up and coming fantasy authors I haven't heard of who might be able to take the reins.
    Last edited by Flunklesnarkin; 12-26-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Tuconots
    I still remember the epic outrage when Salvatore killed off one of the characters in the Star Wars novels
    Chewbacca I believe...and the outrage was funny considering he was essentially told that it had to happen in the book before he even wrote it. That said, Salvatore could not do justice to GoT at all. I'm sure there are a few authors who could pull it off, but I just hope GRRM manages to survive another 10-15 years to finish it.

Tuconots
    hmmm.. Robin Hobb? She does darker fantasy but she is also about as old as GRRM
    She can get more than one book out every 5 years though. Age isn't the issue, it's age + clogged arteries + not writing any fucking books. I can't see her taking over SOIAF though. I'd neck myself before reading a SOIAF continuation by Salvatore, he's basically a YA author.

Sanderson did a really awesome job with WOT, so it can be done. Shame I can't see them roping him into finishing a second series. He could build a career out of it.

Banned
    Tuconots
    My google-fu found this author's name.

Steven Erikson

He sounds similar to GRRM but I haven't read any of his work. I might have to pick up one of his novels, looks like he has a crazy 10 book long series hah.

Bio here

http://www.fantasybookreview.co.uk/S...biography.html

It sounds like he writes complex intrigue fantasy (not good versus evil) and isn't afraid to kill off main characters to enhance a plot line.

Tuconots
    I'm actually pretty shocked that you've spent time in this forum and haven't heard of the Malazan series (Erickson). That and ASoIaF are my two favorite fantasy series. Erickson might be able to do it justice actually. He'd have to change his style somewhat and be a lot less vague the first half of every book, but I could see it.
    Does the fact that I'm trying to do it do it for you?

on steam - notafunhater

Banned
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by notafunhater View Post
    I'm actually pretty shocked that you've spent time in this forum and haven't heard of the Malazan series (Erickson). That and ASoIaF are my two favorite fantasy series. Erickson might be able to do it justice actually. He'd have to change his style somewhat and be a lot less vague the first half of every book, but I could see it.
    I'm not sure how I would have heard of him before lol.

I don't belong to any book groups or browse sites that recommend authors. I did the amazon recommended book thing for a while or just bought random books I found at the book store.

I haven't read any fantasy lately though. It gets tiring reading it after a while because so many of the fantasy novels "feel" the same to me.

Tuconots
    I honestly couldn't get into Malazan. Got half way into the first book and it felt boring and incoherent the entire time. But given how highly people speak of it here I'm thinking about giving it a second chance once I catch up on WOT.

Tuconots
    Erikson and Martin aren't alike at all. They're basically on opposite ends of the Fantasy spectrum. Unless you want Ned to fight his way back from the Afterlife, gain the ability to morph into a dragon after merging his soul with Aegon the Conqueror and then get into a duel with Cersei, who became R'hllor's avatar on Earth after a complex ritual that saw King's Landing burnt to the ground...then Erikson's your guy.

Banned
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
    Erikson and Martin aren't alike at all. They're basically on opposite ends of the Fantasy spectrum. Unless you want Ned to fight his way back from the Afterlife, gain the ability to morph into a dragon after merging his soul with Aegon the Conqueror and then get into a duel with Cersei, who became R'hllor's avatar on Earth after a complex ritual that saw King's Landing burnt to the ground...then Erikson's your guy.
    I don't know anything about Erikson's story. Although, I do think most authors are capable of writing more than one type of narrative.

If Erikson already has experience with complex intrigue and general fantasy it would seem to fit somewhat.

Are there any other potential authors who could take over for GRRM?
    Last edited by Flunklesnarkin; 12-27-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Tuconots
    Joe Abercrombie could easily do it...

However, Daniel Abraham is probably the guy. He's a Martin apprentice, part of same Santa Fe writer's group, co-wrote Hunter's Run with Martin, and is responsible for scripting the Game of Thrones Comic Book. He also co-writes with Martin's current assistant Ty Franck as James S.A. Corey. If Martin is going to trust his baby to anyone it would be Abraham.

Tuconots
    Malazan thread on FoH was pretty huge, hard to miss it. Erikson's books are very, very good, but you must be prepared to spend a lot of time confused. He writes in a very different way than most people.

Could he handle ASoIaF? Definitely.

Tuconots
    I only know of GoT from the TV show and like many folks I went back and forth about diving into the books while the tv show is so early on in the story. I really like going into each week of the show with no fucking idea whats about to happen next. I decided to compromise and at least read the books up to where the show is at and no further. I am just finishing up the first book and all I can say is damn am I glad I did. You get so much more flavor and depth to the story through the books. Obviously there is the inner monologue that characters have that is almost impossible to duplicate in a tv show and its through this that alot of the details of the story come out.

Another bonus is that I downloaded the audio books since I am a lazy fuck and don't like reading. I wasn't sure I would get into audiobooks but I am digging them. The narrator they got is pretty damn awesome and there is nothing quite like smoking a little bowl, relaxing on the couch and listening to a fat ass story unfold before you.

Tuconots
    i started the books this november i had bought them (the first 4) back in the spring but didnt get round to them until sandy killed my old pc and all of a sudden i had time for reading again. glad i did. it was long enough since last season ended so i could still read the books and still imagine in my own head what the characters would look like. although tyrion and arya still make me think of their HBO counterparts. somebody with a small role like Jorah Mormont however in my head i picture him as Charlton Heston.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinsic View Post
    Some weird information in this thread. The series was originally a trilogy, then it was six books (two trilogies linked by the 5 year gap), then it became seven when he scrapped the gap. It could certainly expand further, but it is currently planned to end at seven.
    If he keeps up the pace he set in that last book (as far as plot goes), he'll be lucky to finish it in 40 books.

Tuconots
    Im sure anyone writing for a fashion magazine could finish what GRRM started. I find my self skipping entire paragraphs at a time because oh shit cersi changed into a blue dress. I mean there is no sense of right / wrong in the book. So anyone taking over could write anyway they choose. No character is safe, anyone can rise / fall to power. So just about any published fantasy writer on the market right now could finish the books. I mean hell, sanderson has probably already done so as a fun side project just for himself.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    Except Salvatore would be able to pump the book out within a year or two rather than 6-10 years that is GRRM.

Tuconots
    Would be a pretty epic troll on everyone if salvatore did finish. That asshole never kills off characters, John Sno'urdan shall live forever

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblethorn View Post
    Would be a pretty epic troll on everyone if salvatore did finish. That asshole never kills off characters, John Sno'urdan shall live forever
    Except Chewy!

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuriin View Post
    Except Salvatore would be able to pump the book out within a year or two rather than 6-10 years that is GRRM.
    I'd take 1 of GRRM's worst books every 10 years over 1 of Salvatore's best books every year, no contest.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrayne View Post
    I'd take 1 of GRRM's only book every 10 years over 1 of Salvatore's best books every year, no contest.
    Fixed that for you.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    My main hope for season 3 is that we get to see Margaery Tyrell naked.

Tuconots
    She had her tits out in season 2....

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Byddon View Post
    She had her tits out in season 2....
    And your point?

Also, confirmed gay.

Tuconots
    I forgot about that!

Quote Originally Posted by noble savage View Post
    My main hope for season 3 is that we get to see Margaery Tyrell naked, AGAIN.
    - fixed

I am pretty sure I would be ok with murdering another human being to be able to bed her down. Knowing my luck with women it would most likely have to be her that I murdered before I would have a chance of actually bedding her down.
    Last edited by noble savage; 01-13-2013 at 04:26 AM.

infraction teflon Merkins4Brazil's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Damn Diana Rigg almost didnt recognize her, I know she is 74 but still she fell the fuck apart....

Tuconots
    bitch be bumpin'

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Merkins4Brazil View Post
    Damn Diana Rigg almost didnt recognize her, I know she is 74 but still she fell the fuck apart....

she went blond

Tuconots
    Can't wait for season 3

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by coppermill View Post
    she went blond
    she went living dead too

Tuconots
    i still havent read book 5 yet. but i most definitely have read book 3 and this season should be awesome
    Regardless of reading the books, unfortunately the series doesn't stay true to them. So reading them isn't necessarily a spoiler.

Tuconots
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnKnjXUe3Uw

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertus6 View Post
    you were almost right. that was a movie reference i made, but it wasnt from Deuce Bigelow, it was from Beverly Hills Cop 2, when axel meets the villain played by brigite nielsen, as she walks away he checks her body out and says "now thats one big bitch"

Tuconots
    Bump........No way this should be on page 4. Winter is coming

Tuconots

Tuconots
    Bump again... for that special someone
    GOTvalentines.jpg

Tuconots
    There was a scene where Jamie Lannister is talking to someone, I think Brieanne, and he says that there are only 3 men in the entire kingdom that might stand a chance against him in battle. I have often wondered who he thought might give him a good run for his money. My guesses are:

1. Sir Barristan Selmy - Even though old this dude still gets mad respect. Would have been fun to see him in his prime
    2. Ned Stark - Not sure if old Ned had lost his head by this point or not and not even sure if Jaime truely considered him a match in a fight. I'd like to think Jaime at least thought Ned would stand a chance.
    3. Mountain or The Dog - both are fucking murders.
    4. King Robert - might not have been able to hang towards the end being as out of shape as he was but according to the stories when he won the kingdoms there weren't any better warriors then him. Plus you have to give him props for holding the kingdoms together for as long as he did. Seemed no one wanted to fuck with him considering as soon as he died everyone went buckwild trying to grab power. The didn't try that shit while he was alive.

Would love to hear others guess as to who Jaime respected in battle.

Tuconots
    i think if i answer you its a spoiler

Tuconots
    GoT S2 out on Netflix Tuesday. Queue that shit up if ya dont own it already.

Tuconots
    9 days to go!

Winter is coming!

Tuconots
    Aleks,

Bro it comes out 3/31

Tuconots
    Yeah I cannot really give any insight to who Jaime meant without spoilers. I would like to say that Ned was not a great fighter. He was a good leader, but one on one he was no match for Jaime.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblethorn View Post
    Aleks,

Bro it comes out 3/31
    He's going to starve to death waiting for winter.

Tuconots
    Target has Season 2 on Blu-Ray for $30. You won't see it that low again till Black Friday.

Tuconots
    The fact that everyone is saying they can't answer my question without spoilers has me intrigued. The story lines in this shit are so freaking deep its awesome!!!

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Flank View Post
    Yeah I cannot really give any insight to who Jaime meant without spoilers. I would like to say that Ned was not a great fighter. He was a good leader, but one on one he was no match for Jaime.
    Am I confused or wasn't there a pretty even fight between Ned and Jaime in season 1 that only got unbalanced by the outside intervention of a guard, which pissed Jaime to no end?

Thread Information