Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Parent Thread (Teething Sucks Thread)

Tuconots

Parent Thread (Teething Sucks Thread)

This was my favorite thread before it all went to hell on morenetz.
    When my daughter was learning to talk at one point she ran at me yelling THUNDERCATS! HOOOOOOOOO! Proud moment, but now that she is almost 6 it is my little pony on netflix all the time(ugh).

Iannis didn't do anything ZyyzYzzy's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Have a daughter on the way. My wife is due late April and after having have watched my 4 year old niece quite a bit, I'm terrified.

Tuconots
    Waves at the other daddies!

Tuconots
    Anyone have some shows/movies they actually enjoy watching with their kid? Already aware of all of the bigger stuff (just saw Wreck it Ralph a few weeks ago).
    I've already made him watch all the cartoons I loved as a kid for nostalgia, but it'd be nice to have something newer.

Should add that I have access to American and Canadian Netflix, and am completely willing to torrent anything else.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddite View Post
    Anyone have some shows/movies they actually enjoy watching with their kid? Already aware of all of the bigger stuff (just saw Wreck it Ralph a few weeks ago).
    I've already made him watch all the cartoons I loved as a kid for nostalgia, but it'd be nice to have something newer.

Should add that I have access to American and Canadian Netflix, and am completely willing to torrent anything else.
    Regular Show
    http://youtu.be/M6SrXBaopYg

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatorade View Post
    When my daughter was learning to talk at one point she ran at me yelling THUNDERCATS! HOOOOOOOOO! Proud moment, but now that she is almost 6 it is my little pony on netflix all the time(ugh).
    Having over 300GB + down traffic each month over the past few months can be attributed to Netflix and Ponies/Kipper/et al. at my household.

Tuconots
    Is it kind of in the same vein as Adventure Time? I've only watched a few episodes with the boy, but enjoyed what we saw.
    I'll check this one out for sure, thanks!

Registered User Commander Vimeseh's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Adventure time is great to watch with the kids.

I also have my three and a half year old son obsessed with zombies and dragons while my daughter who is eight tried explaining the Sluagh to her class during story breaks at school. I love my kids.

Tuconots
    Ive watched a few episodes of this with my kids. Totally trippy shit.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddite View Post

How old?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by ZyyzYzzy View Post
    Have a daughter on the way. My wife is due late April and after having have watched my 4 year old niece quite a bit, I'm terrified.
    I've agreed to start trying to get my wife pregnant in January. I am terrfied of that now.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Awfal View Post
    How old?
    He's 7.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by OUAriakas View Post
    I've agreed to start trying to get my wife pregnant in January. I am terrfied of that now.
    Honestly, kids are one of the best things in life if you have the money and time to devote to them. Nothing to really be scared of, we all start out knowing jack shit about how to care for the little animals. Then you learn from doing. Good luck man.

Rav Scam-Free Zone
    Tuconots
    Learn from doing? lol Things I've learned in the last week:

When changing diapers, hold their legs with an iron grip or learn just how fun cleaning out poopoo from between toes is. (Seriously, how the fuck is something so TINY so STRONG?)

Keep a spare shirt in the car - half-digested mommy milk on your shirt is not sexy.

Changing the baby on your bed is like rolling the dice - do you feel lucky?

Apparently I like to learn the hard way. I wonder how many hundreds of other things I'll learn

Tuconots
    Yup, those are the sorts of things I was talking about. Babies are like this weird combination of Gumby, little Hercules, and the projectile vomiting chick from the exorcist.

Something I figured out that should really be helpful for new dads; babies are not little delicate porcelain dolls. You are not going to hurt them if you exert a firm grip on the legs while changing them or other activities of that nature. Now of course don't do your manly man handshake on their ankles, but on the whole it will save you from those moments when the little buggers realise you aren't really holding their legs firmly when you are changing them and the next thing you know the kids has somersaulted across your bed or off of it with the obvious gross results.

Also. If your kid has just been fed and you are changing them don't just take off the diaper in a cold room, especially if they are a boy. The abrupt change in temperature is just asking for the kid to shoot you in the face.

Tuconots
    Fairly Odd Parents is amusing. not something i'd suggest just WATCHING... but my kid loves it and it makes me smile on occasion. Phineas and Ferb. that is one of the best shows ever. i am CONSTANTLY laughing when we watch it. and they're both on netflix. my son is 5 and we love it. there's plenty of episodes of both of those so it should take him some time to get through. if he's got the attention span for some longer running plots, you could always try the old justice league/JLU... i watched them all before i had kids.

for movies? there hasn't been too many "classics" lately... i'd stick with stuff like incredibles, cloudy with a chance of meatballs, stuff like that that's come out years previously that i'm sure you're aware of

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander Vimeseh View Post
    Also. If your kid has just been fed and you are changing them don't just take off the diaper in a cold room, especially if they are a boy. The abrupt change in temperature is just asking for the kid to shoot you in the face.
    THIS! Oh my GOD this.

There is nothing in the world that can prepare you to be a parent. You either feel like you're ready "enough" or you don't. There's no in between. It's the ultimate OJT and you know you succeed when they don't end up in the Emergency Room. Sometimes they end up there anyway, and at that point success is when you're home again and everything is okay. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Each kid is different too, and the only thing you're prepared for with a second kid is simply the basics... feeding, changing, routines, things of that nature. Their personalities will be different. Things that worked for Kid A won't work for Kid B and vice versa. You'll get DEVIL CHILD FROM HELL in one go, and SWEET ANGEL FROM HEAVEN on the next. The only thing you can do is love them unconditionally, and make sure they don't end up in the Emergency Room.

Tuconots
    Hey Chaos - how is your kid feeling? I had to pick my 1 (2 in Jan) year old from school today because he was running a 102 fever. When I got the call I thought of your kid.

Anyway, my little dude has had the fever come and go all day. He woke me up a bit ago, I gave him some more medicine and soothed I'm back to sleep. I need that dude healthy my parents come to town this weekend and we have a million things planned.

Tuconots
    She was like 100% better. She did end up getting sick when my wife took her to the store, but other than that she was back to her old tazmanian devil self.

That is frustrating, when a kid has a severe temp like that you expect there to be a reason or something and no, no reason, no explanation, oh and she gets better immediately with no explanation. Should be thankful, though.

Tuconots
    Our little guy has his first sinus infection at 15 months old. Sigh just like his old dad. I had to put off the CT scan since we each have a $1500 deductible because he needed tubes in the same month. I figure after I pay off this bill I can get my CT done and hopefully they can figure out why I have had 8 sinus infections this year. BTW using those sinus washes worked at first for me, however now they do nothing but just wash junk out that is replaced immediately by more.

Tuconots
    Proud fatherof a 1 and a half year old son. Best time of my life so far, the apple did not fall far from the tree for sure. Happy little kid with a ton of spirit and energy.

I watch a lot of sesame street with him, i grew up with it and he is now too. Furthermore he watches thomas the train.

Raising a kid is a big guessing game really, we read the books but you are not prepared! Not even close.

Tuconots
    Father of two a daughter (11) and son (8).

As far as shows I watch with them, now at this age is pretty much just The Regular Show which I find very odd but fun. What I enjoy more now that they are older is playing computer games with them. They love minecraft and it's awesome to have gamer kids, it's like a dream come true

Tuconots
    Chiming in, father of two, daughter (15) and son (12). Kids think having a dad that know more memes than they do is both cool and disturbing. I agree.

Tuconots
    Glad to hear your daughter is doing better Chaos!

My kids all had their favorites in terms of TV. My oldest son (9) was a huge fan of The Wiggles, from toys, to shoes, clothes, blankets....he couldn't get enough of them, we even went to one of their shows. As a matter of fact, his favorite blanket has now been passed down to my youngest son (2) and it makes me smile every time he cuddles up to it as he now loves it too. (ah memories *wipes tear*) It was more tear enducing when my oldest came to visit for the weekend and saw it and said "Awww, he is usin gmy blanket how cute!" and cuddled up with im under it and they watched TV together. Nothing like shit like that will cause man mode to break down faster, I tell you.

Anyway....

My daughters (6) favorite show was Yo Gabba Gabba

My youngest son (2) is in love with Bubble Guppies, so much so I am now fighting with him, the little bastard (I say that lovingly) will bring me the remote and start pointing at the TV to have me go into the DVR and put on an episode for him. I put the kabosh on that real quick.

Now my oldest favorite show is Ghost Adventures....ah, what I wouldn't give to relive The Wiggles years with him again. /sigh

Tuconots
    I have a happy, healthy 9 month old boy. Really am fortunate after hearing some of the horror stories my wife has told me about colic babies.

Tuconots
    Girlfriend took a test this morning just to be sure. I'm not a daddy.

Fuck yeah, I don't belong here. Woot!

Tuconots
    Chaos, did you happen to read the post I made about gardening on MN before it disappeared?

Tuconots
    but now that she is almost 6 it is my little pony on netflix all the time(ugh).
    I feel your pain. On a positive note, at least she likes "Sgt. Frog".

Tuconots
    Mine (5 year old) goes through phases of what she's into and watches. Currently it's Martha Speaks on PBS because of some books we got from the library and started reading. Before that it was Scooby Doo (which was weird because she generally does not like anything scary).

Tuconots
    I have a 10 year old daughter, she is definitely not a girly girl. She loves American Dad!....is that bad? lol

Tuconots
    Was talking about it a little on irc last night but I might as well make it official... we just found out my wife is pregnant with our first child. She is due in July.

Let the games begin!

Tuconots
    My son turned 1 this week. He had never tasted cake or ice cream up to this point. Best expressions ever.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyashusa View Post
    Was talking about it a little on irc last night but I might as well make it official... we just found out my wife is pregnant with our first child. She is due in July.

Let the games begin!
    Grats man! If you need any tips just pm me.

Tuconots
    Two girls, 6 and 8, and I married a latina so you can imagine the estrogen flowing in my house

They basically watch all the shows on Disney Channel; Shake It Up, Hey Jessie, Dog with a Blog, etc.

Tuconots
    My middle girl (3) adores Spiderman and the Avengers. She is super into super heroes these days (she was a super hero for Halloween and my oldest thought it was such a good idea, that she went as a super hero as well). Horses are of course her other big thing and every time we drive past this stable on the way to school she says "you get me a pony to ride momma". >.<

Tuconots
    Lurker from the old boards checking in finally and becoming more active I have a 2ish year old daughter and a 3 month old daughter. Despite losing most of my free time I can't wait to have a third, there really is nothing that equals having a kid and what it adds to your life. We started the 2 yr old in pre-school (Montissori) and she LOVES it. I'm glad we did this since I work at home she'll have a chance to socialize a bit more.

Speaking of which, some kids are ANIMALS! A little girl bit our daughter's face at school, I could count the teeth on her face. She handled it like a trooper though. It's a good thing I picked her up, my wife would've gone feral on everyone.

Also, I swear to god if I have to watch another Mickey Mouse Clubhouse I'm going to lose it. First thing in the morning (Ickey Ouse!!! Innnie!!) then I get a daddy finally after they are honored.

Tuconots
    I have two Daughters 6&2 and the oldest one loves the Clone Wars and Big Bang which is cool to sit and watch with her. The younger one loves Bubble Guppies and Dino Dan. As much grief as they cause when they scream and fight and bicker and gives me an idea what it is going to be like in their teens, I love them to death.

Some advice, If you are going to give your kids an iPad, make sure to control how much time they use it for otherwise there will be issues.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
    Chaos, did you happen to read the post I made about gardening on MN before it disappeared?
    I don't think so. I cant really remember the last post I read. I was going to start another one here but ive been lazy and also fuck evelys.

Tuconots
    Hey, so I have lurked on FOH and had registered for MoreNetz but didn't have a chance to post before it all went South, but I have a question for some of the fathers that have been through this. So I have a 4 month old and he has just started to wake up in the middle of the night screaming. My wife and I are unable to console him and it appears he is still sleeping, then after about 10 minutes he will fall back asleep. Is this something anyone else has had happen or should I be worried. It happens maybe twice a night and just started a couple of days ago. Appreciate any insight.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Varlox View Post
    Hey, so I have lurked on FOH and had registered for MoreNetz but didn't have a chance to post before it all went South, but I have a question for some of the fathers that have been through this. So I have a 4 month old and he has just started to wake up in the middle of the night screaming. My wife and I are unable to console him and it appears he is still sleeping, then after about 10 minutes he will fall back asleep. Is this something anyone else has had happen or should I be worried. It happens maybe twice a night and just started a couple of days ago. Appreciate any insight.

It's just night terrors, pretty common for kids. My daughter had it a little. They say it's best to just let them sleep through it and deal with it and that waking them up or trying to could make it worse for them. From everything I've read it's not something to worry about and they'll outgrow it.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilforgod View Post
    It's just night terrors, pretty common for kids. My daughter had it a little. They say it's best to just let them sleep through it and deal with it and that waking them up or trying to could make it worse for them. From everything I've read it's not something to worry about and they'll outgrow it.
    Thanks.

Tuconots
    Yah my daughter had night terrors on and off from about two years of age until she was four. Do not try and wake them up. Just make sure they aren't going to hurt themselves with flailing or trying to get out of bed (obviously the latter isn't a concern for you at this point). Holding them helps sometimes but you really just need to let them run their course. It sucks but not much can be done while they are happening.

Tuconots
    I have a 3-year old boy who pretty much loves nothing else but power rangers. I just finished loading every single episode the the media center. Also have a baby girl due a week from today. I'm pretty terrified to have a girl...the boy is so easy!

Registered Dragonlord Deathwing's Avatar
    Tuconots
    How did you guys decide you were ready to be parents? And I don't mean financially or reading books whatever. Actually want kids.

I vacillate between valuing my free time, little kids are annoying, realizing long term I'll most likely want at least one, to just plain not wanting to lose my wife over the issue. I have a cat that for some reason, won't shit in the litter box(but will piss, thankfully). I know, it's a dumb comparison, cats aren't kids. Hopefully my kid would eventually learn not to do that. But it's hard to ignore, picking up cat shit 2-3 times a day, dealing with that pervasive smell(because it sits out while we're at work), and not drawing some similarities.

We've had my sister's two kids over twice for sleepovers. One of them is very well behaved and the other one is just energetic as fuck. I can't say we did the best job, just made pizza and sat them in front of some Pixar movies. It was very trying to get them do anything at the first request. Overall, not that bad, but I didn't come out of it with the feeling "yeah, let's do that 24/7 for a long time".

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathwing View Post
    How did you guys decide you were ready to be parents? And I don't mean financially or reading books whatever. Actually want kids.

I vacillate between valuing my free time, little kids are annoying, realizing long term I'll most likely want at least one, to just plain not wanting to lose my wife over the issue. I have a cat that for some reason, won't shit in the litter box(but will piss, thankfully). I know, it's a dumb comparison, cats aren't kids. Hopefully my kid would eventually learn not to do that. But it's hard to ignore, picking up cat shit 2-3 times a day, dealing with that pervasive smell(because it sits out while we're at work), and not drawing some similarities.

We've had my sister's two kids over twice for sleepovers. One of them is very well behaved and the other one is just energetic as fuck. I can't say we did the best job, just made pizza and sat them in front of some Pixar movies. It was very trying to get them do anything at the first request. Overall, not that bad, but I didn't come out of it with the feeling "yeah, let's do that 24/7 for a long time".
    We always knew we wanted to have a child and had that 'not ready' mindset that a lot of people have before you get kids. Then of course my wife got pregnant and it went from 'not ready' to looking really forward to it. It's really hard to explain. I also had the same attitude of 'my life is going to change and I won't have free time for anything' and while that is true to a certain extent, I wouldn't trade my kids for nothing. It truly does change your life and not just lifestyle wise but in your outlook on many things. I also agree that parenting is just not for everyone. You need to want to sacrifice everything for your kids and some people can't and won't have that mindset. Of course many people are forced into parenting in one way or the other and usually that's when issues arise.

There's also a difference caring for other people's kids and your own. I don't like dealing with other people's kids either, but I'll entertain mine all day.
    Last edited by Vandyn; 12-07-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Varlox View Post
    I had them as a kid, I still remember that unique weird feeling of being asleep and awake at the same time and being scared to death. I grew out of them at some point, I recall "coming to" a few times in the bathroom (only room in the house with a door that locked) with my Dad holding me.
    Last edited by Oblio; 12-07-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Tuconots
    Thanks for the replies. I just hate feeling helpless when he seems in such distress.

My wife and I always knew we wanted kids. As far as being ready, there's no real way to explain it, we just knew when it was time. And Vandyn is right. There is a huge difference between taking care of someone else's kid and caring for your own. I can't stand other people's kids chattering at me about nothing, but I live for the times when my kid is doing nothing but chattering "goo's and gaa's" at me with a smile on his face.
    Last edited by Varlox; 12-07-2012 at 07:49 PM. Reason: reading comprehension

Tuconots
    You are never really ready to be a parent. What you have to think about, and it seems like you already are is how this is going to effect your life. If you feel too short of free time now then that will only get worse, if you are financially unstable then its best to not introduce another burden in that area, things of that nature. Basically are you ready to not be the center of your world anymore? I know that getting married is supposed to alter your world view from a self centered one to also caring about your partners needs, but lets be honest here. They are an adult and are fully capable of being independent of you for periods of time while still maintaining a healthy relationship. A child requires you to put them first in your decisions and choices. If you want to be a good parent, you don't have any other options.

From a personal perspective; my wife and I are separating now with almost a 99% chance of a divorce in the next year. Because of my financial situation and job opportunities I'm having to move up north while she stays where we are living currently. Our son is coming with me, but our daughter (raised her since she was one) is going to be staying with my wife. I really can't imagine living without my kids and we as adults had to make the decision that was best for them as far as living arrangements. Our daughter is from a previous marriage and she loves her mother more then anything in the world, plus you don't want to uproot them from their friends and their schooling. My son on the other hand has had me as his primary caretaker since he was born, because I was stay at home/work from home dad. For both him and I it would not be viable to be separated at all. So my wife and I had to make hard choices that are leaving both of us unhappy while hopefully doing the minimal damage to our children. They always come first, and I just can't look at it any other way. No matter what pain it causes you.
    Last edited by Commander Vimeseh; 12-07-2012 at 07:29 PM.

Tuconots

We just stopped preventing after a time. We were married 5 years before we stopped preventing. We just decided (and some of you won't get this or will think I'm nuts, don't really care) that God would give us kids when He was ready for us to have em. We found out we were a month pregnant the day after I told my wife I was ready to stop preventing. Our second one came 3 years later under similar circumstances. I have 0 regrets about how we did it, and my kid (next week "kids") are the best part of my day, hands down. I was terrified to have a kid up until they put my first one in my arms the day he was born.

Oh, and all of this:

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Vimeseh View Post
    You are never really ready to be a parent. What you have to think about, and it seems like you already are is how this is going to effect your life. If you feel too short of free time now then that will only get worse, if you are financially unstable then its best to not introduce another burden in that area, things of that nature. Basically are you ready to not be the center of your world anymore? I know that getting married is supposed to alter your world view from a self centered one to also caring about your partners needs, but lets be honest here. They are an adult and are fully capable of being independent of you for periods of time while still maintaining a healthy relationship. A child requires you to put them first in your decisions and choices. If you want to be a good parent, you don't have any other options.

Tuconots
    My son had the same kind of episodes when he was younger. We eventually learned there wasn't much we could do about it, as he was too tired to reason with. Just like your boy, he would fall back asleep after a short time. Like Pilf said above, he'll likely grow out of it.

Tuconots
    First kid wasn't planned but shit happens. After that we figured it would be best to get the 2nd one out of the way since we already had the first. One thing I always tell my friends to watch out for is some women never truly recover from the post partum and it gets worse after each successive kid to where they actually go fucking crazy, at least crazier than women normally are. Make sure you're wife is at least somewhat back to normal before knocking her up again.

Tuconots

It's something I've always wanted. When I was younger, finding the right girl and getting married was a step to the ultimate goal of having kids. I love my wife very much, but there's nothing like the feeling you get when you look into your own child's eyes. I've told my wife that I love her, but the love I have for my children is completely different. I really have no idea how anyone can do anything to hurt their own kids physically or emotionally (I'm not talking discipline here).

My wife and I did wait 5 years before having kids. It's very important to spend time with just your wife to solidify the marriage and get it out of your system because once you have kids you have virtually no time to yourself. I know parents that take tons of time for themselves, but personally I don't think they're great parents and they miss a lot of their kids lives because of it. When he did come over to visit his behavior was awful, who knows if that has anything to do with it though.

Financially, I don't know if anyone is ever really ready financially. That said, even with the increased costs you're going to go out less too so there is some trade off. Kids ARE definitely expensive though.

Tuconots
    I didnt want kids until I was probably in my early 30s. Well after a drunken night we got one when we were in our early 20s. My son is 4 now and dont regret it, but we are still waiting till we are in our early 30s for another one lol. Thankfully I lucked out with a job at the local ford assembly plant right out of high school. Puts my damn degree to almost no use unless the entire plant goes under (odds of that are basically 0). With our son though we have been dealing with Croup, he is on his 3rd Antibiotic in 6mths. I am not very hopeful with the new stuff, more than likely he will need his tonsils removed. He loves his Disney and Nick shows, however my wife and I really dont watch much TV. I have been looking into one of the Vizio boxes that turns your tv into a smartv, anyone have experience with one of these? If I can have my ESPN and football I will gladly cut my tv bill off.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
    Thankfully I lucked out with a job at the local ford assembly plant right out of high school. Puts my damn degree to almost no use unless the entire plant goes under (odds of that are basically 0).
    I love the Fords you build, one saved my wife's life and we just bought a new Explorer Just wanted to throw that out there, I have never used Vizio. But I do have a Roku box that I used once lol.

Tuconots
    Just as a child having a ten year difference between my sister and I, it was rough on my parents and on my sister and I having the sibling bond with such a large difference in ages. You know your life situation best though.

Tuconots
    My wife read that 2 years apart is optimal so our daughters are 5 days away from being 2 yrs apart lol (that was actually an accident). But now she's obsessed about it so the third one is planned out to be 2 years from our second. I don't care enough to argue with her about it or research it further though.

Tuconots
    That's my thought as well. The wife and I want the next one to be no more than 3 years apart though. I would prefer two, because I think being closer in age will let them be able to bond a little easier. I know that I was pretty close with my sister growing up and we are 1 1/2 years apart, but I'm not as close with my brother who is 5 years younger than me.

Tuconots
    It is really simple. With being nine years older then my sister we never had any common interests or hit development milestones around the same time that allowed us to bond. Don't get me wrong, I still love her, but I was entering college while she was in third grade. It made it tough for us to be able to relate until she hit her twenties (this year) on most topics. It made it even harder on our mom because she never get a break when it came to child rearing and having to pony up the money for schools, clubs, etc.

Tuconots
    Video monitors are fun, especially the ones that you can talk to the room with. My 2 yr old just woke up so I said through the microphone "I'll be right up, daddy loves you" and she immediately stopped reading and hid under her panda lol. I should probably stop that and not give her nightmares I guess.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by j00t View Post
    Fairly Odd Parents is amusing. not something i'd suggest just WATCHING... but my kid loves it and it makes me smile on occasion. Phineas and Ferb. that is one of the best shows ever. i am CONSTANTLY laughing when we watch it. and they're both on netflix. my son is 5 and we love it. there's plenty of episodes of both of those so it should take him some time to get through. if he's got the attention span for some longer running plots, you could always try the old justice league/JLU... i watched them all before i had kids.

for movies? there hasn't been too many "classics" lately... i'd stick with stuff like incredibles, cloudy with a chance of meatballs, stuff like that that's come out years previously that i'm sure you're aware of
    I am OBSESSED with phineas and ferb.

Ferb=the kid who played Liam Neeson's son in Love Actually, Doofenschmirz's daughter is the chick who sings all I want for Xmas is you at the end of Love Actually. They've actually written a lot of the songs. He will actually have a role on Game of Thrones this season.

I really wish someone would make me a perry the platypus animated avatar w/Doofenschmirz's daughter.

Target had an awesome agent P ornament this year - totally bought it.

Our friend has two kids and that's how my husband and I got hooked. If I find that its on (ESP a marathon) it goes right to the TV.
    Last edited by Etoille; 12-07-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Tuconots
    My wife and i tried to get pregnant for 3 years, we had pretty much given up and had the long terrible talk of "what now?" We decided not to go for IVF or adoption, it just wasn't meant to be and we would live our lives differently to just enjoy it. We both felt ok with it and moved on.

Around february of 2011 my wife got a bit of a belly and i joked "hey you might be pregnant" my wife gave me the "you're nuts" stare and we laughed and went to a party... Few days later my wife just out of curiosity decided to get a pregnancy test....positive.....panic.....call the gynocologist and made an appointment. Congratulations you 2, your wife is 14 weeks pregnant. Oh god.....positive thing, past the dreaded can't tell anyone first trimester....downside...only 6 months to get our shit together. Wtf my car didn't even have seatbelts.

Her pregnancy was awesome, she felt good, no sickness or back problems. I mostly felt fucking nervous, with my ex gf i had experienced 2 miscarriages so i was a nervous wreck the entire time. A week before due date, everything was ready, i was all set, bag in the hallway, full batteries in the camera everything was prepared. I get home from work at 5 pm and my wife tells me she has some weird feelings in her stomach, i started to time and yup, she was having contractions. Around 7 pm the gynocologist and midwife arrive, my wifes water hadn't broken yet. So they made it break(language barrier). 3 hours later, still not dilated enough. Off to the hospital. They told us they hooked up the monitor so we could hear the baby's heartbeat. Every time my wife had a contraction the baby's heartrate dropped. Wich scared the fuck out of me, i felt totally powerless and helpless. The call came in to get ready for a c section. My wife gets wheeled into the OR and i call both our parents with a status update, i get the soothing words from a assistent that everything is going to be just fine, just give the camera to one of the assistants and they will take pictures.

I sit at my wife's head, didn't really have to see her get cut open, already almost punched the anastegiologist when they gave her the epidermal, seeing someone cut open my wife would totally flip my lid. Anastegiologist was totally awesome, seeing my wife squint a bit from a sting and immediately upped the dosage keeping hercomfy. Out comes my baby boy, tiny little wrinkled thing, i immediately see it's a boy, i fall on my knees and cried like a little girl hugging my wife. I get to go to where they weigh my son, and pose for a picture where i cut the umbilical cord. When the assistant taking pictures says...what does it mean, no card? Oh god i forgot to put the sd card in the camera.....anastegiologist grabs his iphone and starts taking pictures. That guy saved the day really. 6:45 am my son was born. This is the first time i tell this story outside our family and it still draws a tear in my eye.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Etoille View Post
    I am OBSESSED with phineas and ferb.

Ferb=the kid who played Liam Neeson's son in Love Actually, Doofenschmirz's daughter is the chick who sings all I want for Xmas is you at the end of Love Actually. They've actually written a lot of the songs. He will actually have a role on Game of Thrones this season.

I really wish someone would make me a perry the platypus animated avatar w/Doofenschmirz's daughter.

Target had an awesome agent P ornament this year - totally bought it.

Our friend has two kids and that's how my husband and I got hooked. If I find that its on (ESP a marathon) it goes right to the TV.
    "Oh look, a platypus. ...PERRY the platypus!"

Gets me every fucking time.

Tuconots
    Just getting caught back up on the MN drama...I'm with hatorade in that, this was my favorite thread before the trolls.

I've got two myself. Son turns 3 in February, daughter just turned 1 Monday. I have to admit I'm addicted to their tv shows, but they're also shows I watched as a kid. My son loves Thomas the Train, and my daughter is currently on a Blue's Clues fix. They also both enjoy The Backyardigans. Shit's catchy, yo.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by mizovax View Post
    Just getting caught back up on the MN drama...I'm with hatorade in that, this was my favorite thread before the trolls.

I've got two myself. Son turns 3 in February, daughter just turned 1 Monday. I have to admit I'm addicted to their tv shows, but they're also shows I watched as a kid. My son loves Thomas the Train, and my daughter is currently on a Blue's Clues fix. They also both enjoy The Backyardigans. Shit's catchy, yo.
    Their two, their four, their six, their eight ...

Catchy song!

Tuconots
    Nice story, Sceleris. Congratulations. My ex-wife also delivered by C-section and I was quite happy to sit up by her head and talk to her during the delivery. I don't really get the whole Dad cutting the umbilical cord thing. What a completely meaningless gesture: "hey, here's something the guy can't fuck up." The nurse offered and I said no - I figured I'm better off supporting my wife, and the nurse appeared more than capable.

Tuconots
    My wife really wants another one. I have two from another marriage and one with her...I honestly don't think I want another one.

250px-Eddard_Stark.jpg
    Last edited by Tarrant; 12-08-2012 at 04:45 AM.

Tuconots
    The doctor that delivered my second and third lets the dad be very hand on. Like, my husband delivered both of them! lol He did the whole cut the umbilical thing for the first and it had so little impact that he doesn't even remember it. Delivering the other two girls tho.... you'll remember that one forever. :p

Rav Scam-Free Zone
    Tuconots
    Did anyone actually look at their wife's body during the c-section surgery? The table they took my son to to clean him, cut the cord, etc was past my wife's feet. Walking to it I saw a big metal basin full of blood drenched rags (or something) and that was MORE than enough for me and I actually had to kind of turn away as I walked past the surgery bed. They take the uterus out of the body during a c-section, and I just don't think I could handle seeing my wife's insides on the outside

Also didn't cut the cord. That (Carlin?) line was racing through my head - "14 doctors and assorted medical personnel in this room and I'm the most qualified here?" lol

Tuconots
    Two kids. Son, he'll be 7 next month, and daughter, turned 5 this past summer. Son was a situation where we stopped not trying to have kids. Took about a year. Daughter was a complete accident, but a happy one to be sure. We were 13 weeks along before we found out. Both were c-sections, mostly as a result of the shape of my wife's pelvic bone. Just wrong for delivery, and compounded by the fact that she's only 5' tall.

My daughter is "normal", insomuch as you can quantify the term. Loves the new Friends LEGO sets, Dora EVERYTHING, and her current favorite show is Fresh Beat Band. She's having a blast in Kindergarten and is fucking smart for a five year old, at least academically. Like, waaaay ahead of where they would expect a "baseline" Kindergartner to be in both reading and math.

My son... Last year my wife and I had some reservations about how he was progressing socially and academically. We had him assessed by a child psychologist when he turned 6. Initial evaluation came back with ADD tendencies and a recommendation for the school to perform a full spectrum analysis for possible autism. The school did it and he does indeed fall on the spectrum and as an added bonus he has a speech deficiency, which we pretty much figured to begin with. Now, it's not "60 minute special" level autism, in fact if you just met him randomly chances are you'd never know and just think he was shy, but it affects him in noticeable ways. He has major problems with transitions, doesn't like any sort of break in his routine, and will shut down at the drop of a hat. He has no concept of consequences. If you tell him he can't go outside to play because he didn't do his homework, all he recognizes is that he can't go outside and play and can't connect that with the reason why. Now, things are better since the diagnosis since we've been able to adjust how we approach things to make sure we don't flip one of his triggers but it's been extremely difficult since we just moved halfway across the country and a couple of weeks ago we had to pull him out of the school he started the year in to go into another school that's in the district we've moved into (we were staying with relatives in another district). However, it was meant to be because the new school is better set up to work with our son. Just had a CSE meeting the other day with the new school and I came away impressed at how dedicated they are at making sure our son has a good academic experience. He's behind in quite a few categories but we'll get caught up to speed now that things have settled down.

That said, he loves LEGOs, watching the Clone Wars cartoon series, and for some reason he really enjoys watching Plants vs. Zombies videos on YouTube.

I love the hell out of both of them. Best things I've ever done in my life.

Tuconots
    moon - reminds me of this thing I read yesterday at work - totally made me cry. I'm trying to find the one with the video of the kid actually opening the box....

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyl...eam-come-true/

Tuconots
    Not a dad yet, but will be in about 4 months... I didn't really know it was possible to be this excited and terrified at the same time until I sat down and thought about what is about to happen. Gonna be paying attention here, though, because I've already learned a few things I never really thought about (changing baby in a cold room? good call) in the first few posts.

Gotta say, this is looking like one hell of an adventure.

Blood Bowl League Abandoner
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by OneofOne View Post
    Did anyone actually look at their wife's body during the c-section surgery? The table they took my son to to clean him, cut the cord, etc was past my wife's feet. Walking to it I saw a big metal basin full of blood drenched rags (or something) and that was MORE than enough for me and I actually had to kind of turn away as I walked past the surgery bed. They take the uterus out of the body during a c-section, and I just don't think I could handle seeing my wife's insides on the outside

Also didn't cut the cord. That (Carlin?) line was racing through my head - "14 doctors and assorted medical personnel in this room and I'm the most qualified here?" lol
    First kid, the placenta broke off, not all of it came out.

That was 11 years ago and I'm still trying to get the image of the doctor up to his goddamned elbow in my wife outta my head.
    Last edited by Cutlery; 12-08-2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: 2 hours of sleep wtf

Tuconots

I didn't look either. I just keep my eyes focused on my wife and then the next thing you know you heard a little cry and one of the greatest emotions in the world washes over you. What's funny is before that we had to wait for the doctor to show up to do the c-section and I had to put on these scrubs (although I don't know if they were actually that) and then I'm standing outside the OR in this blue scrub getup for what feels like forever and he comes the doctor come jogging in and smiling like he's running a mini marathon and I'm there standing nervous as hell. Soon they called me in though and it was great after that.

After initially crying my daughter just kinda laid there, looking around and checking things out. I thought it was so great.

Tuconots
    I know, right? Both of my kids (7 and 2) do that. I feel like we bond watching 80's cartoons, and I've emulated all of the old games. They play Ms. Pac Man like it's brand new!

Tuconots
    The 8yr old and I just finished Halo 4 on heroic. He is better than I am. Won't let him play on Xbox live unless I am there and am damn sure the mics are muted.

The woman does not like him playing shooters at all, and I somewhat agree and don't let him play CoD series and some of the more hardcore ones. Problem is, I know he plays them at a few of his friends houses and I know he's going to play it somehow so I just make a point to make sure he knows it is just a game.

Any of dads thoughts on the more graphic games and kids?

The Lion of MMA Predictions Ameraves's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    My wife really wants another one. I have two from another marriage and one with her...I honestly don't think I want another one.

250px-Eddard_Stark.jpg
    I also had 2 from another marriage and my wife always wanted 3 of her own. I preferred to only have one more, but really 2 more wasn't the end of the world. Plus the two from the previous marriage were almost 12 and 13 when we decided to give it a go.

Well, we had to do IVF since I am paralyzed from the chest down and couldn't do it naturally. With the first round we put in 2 embryos and got one baby. Cool. Second time around figured we would do the same thing. We put in two...and both took and we got twins. So I am not the proud father of 5 girls. Yes, 5 girls no boys. And no I will not be trying again to see if I get a boy

The twins just turned one last week, and it has definitely been tough. Anyone that has a baby understands the rough nights of no sleep and such. Well with twins it is exponentially worse. Trying to get them on the same schedule was next to impossible. Then of course the toddler had some serious issues with suddenly not being the focus of the attention. Overall it's pretty good now though. The toddler still has her moments, but for the most part deals well with them. She will be 3 in February, so it is getting a bit easier with her now.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Madruk View Post
    I have a 3-year old boy who pretty much loves nothing else but power rangers. I just finished loading every single episode the the media center. Also have a baby girl due a week from today. I'm pretty terrified to have a girl...the boy is so easy!
    Every episode? Don't you know they will just watch the same 3 over and over? My kid has all of netflix avail and she still watches the same episodes over and over for her favorite shows.
    Last edited by Hatorade; 12-08-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Tuconots
    I have a 3.5 year old son and a daughter that just turned a year old. I'm trying to figure out Christmas gifts for them. My daughter is pretty easy to shop for at her age, but I'm drawing a blank when it comes to my son. I'm trying to get something both fun and developmental. Any ideas? He loves electronics, so he has a Leap Pad. Any other insight would be appreciated.

Tuconots
    Overall, not that bad, but I didn't come out of it with the feeling "yeah, let's do that 24/7 for a long time".
    Because they aren't your kids, when it's your own you will understand.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Sceleris View Post
    I sit at my wife's head, didn't really have to see her get cut open, already almost punched the anastegiologist when they gave her the epidermal, seeing someone cut open my wife would totally flip my lid. Anastegiologist was totally awesome, seeing my wife squint a bit from a sting and immediately upped the dosage keeping hercomfy. Out comes my baby boy, tiny little wrinkled thing, i immediately see it's a boy, i fall on my knees and cried like a little girl hugging my wife. I get to go to where they weigh my son, and pose for a picture where i cut the umbilical cord. When the assistant taking pictures says...what does it mean, no card? Oh god i forgot to put the sd card in the camera.....anastegiologist grabs his iphone and starts taking pictures. That guy saved the day really. 6:45 am my son was born. This is the first time i tell this story outside our family and it still draws a tear in my eye.
    That moment in the operating room is truly unforgettable.

My wife and I had decided to not find out the sex of our first kid, wanted the surprise and kind of made it a running joke. After 12 hours of labor, docs decided to give her a c-section. They pull out the kid and do the usual: clearing the airways, quick weigh-in, and a wipe off of the worst of the goop. The whole time that is going on, my wife is still on the operating table with her gut open and the doctors working on her. She's like, "How's the baby? What's going on??" The nurses hand the baby to me and I turn to my wife and say, "Say hello to your daughter". The look on her face was fucking amazing. Just one of those moments that stick with you your entire life.

Does it come with waffles Fidlen's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Father of a 3 1/2 yr old and a 10 month old. Both boys (Booyah!)

For all of you on the fence about wanting kids cause you've looked after neices/nephews etc and just want to strangle them, its an entirely different experience with your own. Seriously, your own children will not annoy you nearly as much as someone elses kids.

As for shows to watch, me and my oldest like to watch The Amazing World of Gumball. It has some pretty good humor involved with it.

Kids though, oh man they can really change you. I have never been a truly emotional guy before but literally the day my son was born a switch clicked in my head and I started having, well I guess you would call them feelings. It blew my mind and continues to blow my mind. As an example, Id watch a movie back in the day and my wife would be in tears and Id just be all ok thats sad I suppose, but now Im watching these shows and starting to feel my eyes welling up and ive got to contain it to avoid the years of backlash from the wife when I made fun of her.

The things they say are just adorable. I asked my oldest if he wanted to watch some football with me and his response was "No thank you daddy, Im a big boy, I wanna watch cartoons"

But definately be prepared to have the focus on them. You have another life in your hands and you should want to do everything in your power to make sure its a good one.

And for the new parents. Babies are gross and poop and pee alot. You may think oh like Ill have to change a diaper 5 times a day but fuck no, those little things are machines when it comes to that. Dont be suprised when you change a baby 10-15 times a day and like 90% of them contain some form of poop. And baby poop is fucking disgusting.

Tuconots

There was the little curtain blocking our view, but I was able to watch it all by looking at this medical cabinet right next to the bed, I kept commenting on what was going on and giving the Dr's a laugh, was pretty interesting stuff from what I saw, I asked if I could look in her cut open belly but they said I could not get close and had to wait. I feel bad for letting me son watch these shows, but he loves the Regular Show and Adventure Time, if either of them get to weird I will turn them off, but those are some funny cartoons. He also thinks Hank Hill is a good guy, cant argue with that. He is completely turned off on any Nick Jr show pretty much, they are baby shows he says.

And thank you Pilforgod, it is a job I like to take pride in being part of, love the new Explorers. A buddy of mine actually just transferred to the plant that makes those about 2 months ago.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidlen View Post
    For all of you on the fence about wanting kids cause you've looked after neices/nephews etc and just want to strangle them, its an entirely different experience with your own. Seriously, your own children will not annoy you nearly as much as someone elses kids.
    I don't know if I'm alone here, but I disagree. In public and when around other people, my son behaves extremely well. This is usually true of just us at home as well, but occasionally he just seems to have an off day where every little thing is a big deal. If it were some other kid behaving snotty or rude, I could leave it alone and ignore it until that child left. When my own son has attitude problems, it's up to me to try and correct it. I also find that I have much less tolerance for whining and poor behavior for my own son that I do nephews, nieces, etc. I can listen to a nephew whine all day and not give a damn, but if my sons voice goes above a certain octave, it's really grating to me.

For reference, my son is 7, and quickly growing out of the cute stage.

Tuconots
    I don't understand not finding out the sex. I am all about being prepared.

My second daughter, we were kind of worried about autism or something similar. I think part of the problem is that our first daughter was legit advanced. She started talking at 10 months, walking at 9, and now at about 3.5 she i smart as shit. She can read some, write all her letters, she's creative, she talks like a much older kid, just all around advanced. I'm not talking about a feeling I've had, like according to the books and my wife's child development classes. But my second daughter just wasn't. She still hadn't talked at 12 months and was just starting to walk. by 18 months she was only saying a handful of words and just acted in general younger, less mature. The pediatrician told us not to worry but we did because that is a really stupid thing to say to parents. But after the 18 month checkup he was finally concerned enough to order a hearing test and it turns out her ears were like full of fluid. So it was like she was under a foot of water hearing anything anyone said. We got tubes put in her ears and within a week we saw a noticeable difference in her language and in general demeanor. 10 months later, she is doing so much better. Which is a relief. I mean, she is still behind in her milestones, but she is catching up. And her speech is getting better all the time, even if it is still hard to understand her, it is hard to understand most 2 year olds so that isn't an issue I don't think. Part of that is, I know, that she was behind to begin with so it is going to take her some years to really get up to speed where we want her to be.

Tuconots
    dont understand. what does knowing the sex prepare you for that buying gender neutral stuff won't cover?

Tuconots
    We didnt know the sex of our kid until i saw him when he was born, my wife wanted it that way and i was ok with that eventually

When he was born my parents in law asked what his name was going to be, i told them: "Logan" my brother in law immediately yelled, you named him after wolverine? I said yup. My inlaws gave me a blank stare because i named my kid after a comic book character. I never bothered to tell them it was my wife's idea.

Getting a name was pretty easy, at least we had no problems picking a boy name, i cracked a few jokes about calling him Bruce Wayne, because that way if someone asks him "who do yuo think you are?" He can reply "i'm batman!" Wich quickly steered us into the comic book catagory of names, she came up with Logan and i immediately agreed....i laughed my ass off when the first teeth he got were his canines in his upper jaw. He also tends to snarl if he doesnt get his way....but he got that from me because i do that too.

We could not come up with a girl's name, we still didnt know when my wife went in labor, i saw it as a sign.
    Last edited by Sceleris; 12-09-2012 at 02:39 AM.

Tuconots
    Both of our kids were delivered naturally. However my wife had to get "cut" for my son, since he was coming out at an awkward angle; mostly into her hip. They used a vacuum on his head to pull him out, which caused a nasty bruise, which caused jaundice. I watched the whole thing...including the delivery of the placenta. They wanted me to cut the cord. I told them I wasn't sure it would be the best idea at the time.

With our daughter, she was in active labor for about an hour, then labor stalled. The nurse had my wife sit up with her legs over the edge of the bed for about 15 minutes. As soon as she laid back down, the nurse checked her cervix, ran to the door, screamed, "I need some help in here!" and as soon as she got back to the bed, the baby slid out. Doctor wasn't even in the room. I manned up the second time around and cut the cord, just to say I did it once!

Park play: We took our kids to a public park during the summer. There was a bouncy rubber bridge my son wanted to play on. He's really cautious, so he took his time stepping onto the bridge. Out of nowhere a girl, probably a year older than him, came up from behind him and shoved him down. My gut reaction was to make sure he was okay, followed by telling the girl that pushing wasn't ok. Fortunately, her mom beat me to it, because I was angry. I wasn't angry because he got pushed. I was angry because, as he stood up, he looked at the girl that pushed him and said, "Sorry." I've never been so pissed off in my life.

What's the normal protocol for that, though? Do I get to tell other kids that their behavior is wrong? Or do I have to find their parents and make them do it?
    Last edited by mizovax; 12-09-2012 at 02:37 AM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Etoille View Post
    dont understand. what does knowing the sex prepare you for that buying gender neutral stuff won't cover?
    Well, why get a bunch of gender neutral stuff? And the room, to me it was important to have that done. We were very worried about paint fumes and shit, but now everything they sell is low/no voc paint. The name, of course, and just mentally preparing for the sex.

I'm not supposed to say this, and I never would, but i was really bummed out about having 3 girls. I wanted a boy more than anything. At that third sonogram I was really disappointed, and I would have hated to have even a little bit of that feeling on the day. I had time to put on my big girl panties and suck it up, so by the day of I didn't even have a tinge of that feeling left. That is a totally selfish and kind of childish feeling, but hey, we're all human, at least i don't pretend to be a chick on the internet.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by chaos View Post
    I don't understand not finding out the sex. I am all about being prepared.
    I can totally understand how you feel, i desperately tried to talk my wife into knowing the sex, but she really didnt want to. I must agree it made it more exciting. And as we didnt really care for the pink and blue we painted the nursery in really bright happy colors, i called it the sesame street room. Red windowsill, blue door, green floor, green and blue striped curtains. White walls and furniture as to not flip the kid out completely.

Tuconots
    I was slightly disappointed to find out our second was a girl. My wife claims she knew, prior to the ultrasound. I wasn't convinced, because there are 80% more males in my family, and even my parents' families than females. But after that initial disappointment, I got over it, and then got super into it. I started picking out pinks and purples, and maroons, and dresses. I almost want to say it's normal to feel that way, but I only went through it once, so I'm no expert.

Tuconots
    Hey Chaos, glad to hear your daughter is doing fine now that the hearing is resolved. But don't they do a hearing test early on? Here at 3 and 6 months they do a hearing test to see if everything is ok. Or did the fluid in her ears slowly build up?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by chaos View Post
    Well, why get a bunch of gender neutral stuff? And the room, to me it was important to have that done. We were very worried about paint fumes and shit, but now everything they sell is low/no voc paint. The name, of course, and just mentally preparing for the sex.

I'm not supposed to say this, and I never would, but i was really bummed out about having 3 girls. I wanted a boy more than anything. At that third sonogram I was really disappointed, and I would have hated to have even a little bit of that feeling on the day. I had time to put on my big girl panties and suck it up, so by the day of I didn't even have a tinge of that feeling left. That is a totally selfish and kind of childish feeling, but hey, we're all human, at least i don't pretend to be a chick on the internet.
    Nursery is done in terms of paint. Thats one of the things we did this past summer. Gender neutral sea green - going to do an under the sea theme probably or a zoo. All we need is the furniture and wall art . And I already know what furniture I want its just a matter of ordering it.

Gender neutral stuff is fun. One of the things I got was a kushies sleeper off of rue la la. Its a shadowed picture of a dragon. Light blue/dark indigo - was called a girls sleeper but definitely gender neutral. Green/yellow stuff is just fine! Plus its our first; I figure I can hang onto all this stuff for future kids without worrying about having to buy a lot of the 'starter' stuff all over again.

I can definitely see your point of view though by the third kid.

Tuconots
    Question for you Dad's out there... my wife is due in April with our first baby boy.

How much time off work did you take?

I have the ability to take about 6-8 weeks off... go go corporate desk job... but I'm not sure when to start taking it in relation to the baby being born. I've heard that the first couple weeks after the baby is born. I'm considering not starting my FMLA time off until week 2, but what do you other Dads think?

Thanks!

Tuconots
    I was unemployed when my first was born. I probably would have taken time off otherwise. When my daughter was born, I had planned to take a few days off around the scheduled due date, but she came 3 weeks early. She was born Saturday night, and I was back to work Monday.

I remember thinking about the financial side of things, though. How much time off would start to cause a significant decrease between pay periods? At the time my daughter was born, I was making probably $900 a week. I'm far better off now than I was, but I didn't know I would be at the time she was born, so taking time off was really not something I figured I -should- do for the sake of money.

Tuconots
    We are finding out the sex. The rest of my life is going to be a fucking surprise. I'd like to know one last thing for certain before then.

Tuconots
    I took two weeks off, which was fine for our second. She eats so much and they sleep a ton so there isn't all that much to do. Now that she's up more (3months old) I wish I had another two weeks to take off.

Flam Drag Fighter Pilot Off the Left's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Am I the only one that sucks at folding a swaddle?

Tuconots
    Swaddling is fucking hard. And you have to have just the right blanket. The hospital ones are perfect, all those gerber and carters blankets are garbage for swaddling. We actually bought some of those swaddled things with the Velcro, they work ok.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Sceleris View Post
    Hey Chaos, glad to hear your daughter is doing fine now that the hearing is resolved. But don't they do a hearing test early on? Here at 3 and 6 months they do a hearing test to see if everything is ok. Or did the fluid in her ears slowly build up?
    Someone who knows more than me should probably correct me, but I think those initial hearing tests are just gauging a response. She could hear, everything was just muffled and weird. It is weird to think that the first 18 months of her life were like that. The doctors made it seem as if this wast a fairly common thing and had probably been that way from early infancy or even birth.

Rav Scam-Free Zone
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Off the Left View Post
    Am I the only one that sucks at folding a swaddle?
    Ahahaha how timely. My wife was just asking me to swaddle our son because she's not as good yet. The "standard" sized cloth (I assume standard because they all came in the same size) suck. A friend made us a bunch that are much bigger, and that makes it much much easier. Son gets all pissy if it's not nice and tight, so I find having the bigger ones allows me more room to tuck the various ends in.

Thread Information