Thread: RPG Maker VX Ace

Tuconots

RPG Maker VX Ace

Ahh, who hasn't messed about in any RPG Maker in the past? They're always fun to me. VX Ace seems like a really big WYSIWYG program, hardly any coding involved aside from a few scripts here and there. Definitely fun, that's for sure. I think I'm gonna pick up the full version for Christmas. Of course you can create all your own assets if you so wish, which I plan to do!

It's on steam now for 70$ but you can try out a free version right on the page itself that has still quite a bit of features.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/224280/

Last edited by xzi; 12-12-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Banned
    Tuconots
    Im looking for some tools that would let me do a game that has multiple worlds.

For example, a "shadow nexus world" that connects classic overworld maps like final fantasy 1 overworld maps together.

Does anyone know if theres something out there that allows me to do that without too much programming?

Tuconots
    why doesn't someone make an FoH, err, rerolled RPG with one of these things? i'm sure theres more than enough nerd know how here to get it done.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Delicateflower View Post
    Im looking for some tools that would let me do a game that has multiple worlds.

For example, a "shadow nexus world" that connects classic overworld maps like final fantasy 1 overworld maps together.

Does anyone know if theres something out there that allows me to do that without too much programming?
    What? Just having multiple worlds? That's kind of essentially like just having multiple maps if I understand your question correctly. Can easily be done in a lot of engine builders more than likely.

Banned
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by xzi View Post
    What? Just having multiple worlds? That's kind of essentially like just having multiple maps if I understand your question correctly. Can easily be done in a lot of engine builders more than likely.
    Yeah multiple overhead maps.

Say like you have the world map from Final Fantasy 1 (Sorry im old) but on top of that, multiple maps like that linked together.

What not too complicated world/rpg builders can you suggest?

I just discovered all this, the word open source game design just popped in my head and i thought its certain people are doing it, sure enough people are.

Tuconots
    Any of the RPG Makers will do that. They're just tile maps, then you setup teleports between them. The maps can be overworld, towns, caves, interior buildings, etc.

Banned
    Tuconots
    Could you do something that mixes genre with this thing? Say you have a forest next to town. Your character has logging skills. He goes and logs (gets wood in inventory, forest gets cut down and regrows after a while), comes back to town and uses the workbench for crafting an item.

Something that would do stuff like a RTS. You queue up some swords at the blacksmith while you are away fighting outside town. Blacksmith being a building you own, that you can upgrade maybe.

Really want to get into this, looks like tons of fun, just want to get the right program for what i have in mind.
    Last edited by Delicateflower; 12-14-2012 at 05:21 PM.

Registered User Kid Sized Coffin's Avatar
    Tuconots
    I doubt the stock tools do that, but I'm sure you could script it in. There are some pretty big rpgmaker communities out there.

Banned
    Tuconots
    Checked out some reviews, bought it on impulse heh

Seems so small! (200 something megs)

really wanted to try to make a fun scifi RPG forever, gonna be fun to mess around with this

Tuconots
    I bought it yesterday and have been having a blast. To get a good start going, I suggest checking out these tutorials

http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/support/t...g-maker-vx-ace

As for the question of like.. queuing up gathering lumber and whatnot, I'm actually interested in this myself. This engine can take some heavy scripting and there are a TON of scripts online. Somebody may have just what you're looking for. ...of course you would have to either make or find a full animation set for chopping down trees and whatnot

I plan on having gathering in my game, not much.. just some. So if I come across some good ones when I get to that point, I will definitely post here.

You can find a lot of scripts on most rpg maker vx sites, here's two major forums for them.

http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showforum=26
    http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index....ipts-rmvx-ace/

Banned
    Tuconots
    Found this nice tutorial here too:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/88474618/B...G-Maker-VX-Ace

Tuconots
    You could do the log collecting thing just with events. It's simple enough you could just increase/decrease a variable, or use items. If you go for a full blown crafting system, you'll have to bust out some scripting for that most likely.

Tuconots
    I plan on having some crafting with mine, guess I left that out! woops.
    It's been fun learning thus far.

Banned
    Tuconots
    Having a hard time finding resources for space stuff. Like i had this idea that the overworld map would be the galaxy, with spaceship encounters. Then warp in to solar systems, still with spaceship encounters again, and then land on planets where the meat of player combat/adventuring/xping happens. Kinda like starflight meets phantasy star 2

Youd start on first planet and then get access to ship that lets you explore the galaxy

Gonna have to learn to rip sprites, gonna suck starflight dry

May be overly complicated for a first game but well see
    Last edited by Delicateflower; 12-15-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Tuconots
    Yeah, haven't found much spacelike stuff myself, luckily I'm not going for that. :P

That sound like a really great idea though, reminds me of like a mass-effect dealio

I know there's quite a lot of.. "eh" on deviantart, but you can search rpg maker vx ace on deviantart.com and there and quite a lot of okay ones come up. You'll have to look through probably quite a bit of pages to get space ones but they're there somewhere! Of course they'd like credit, but I'm sure you can find some decent stuff on there.

I've been practicing my pixelart a bit here and there and after Christmas I'm really gonna hunker down and try to get better.

Tuconots
    Looking around for some scripts today because I wanted to make my game be able to fullscreen or get at least a higher resolution/bigger window out of it.. turns out it's impossible to do that, and the scripts that are currently out are deemed "illegal" by the company. :/

544 x 416 is default unfortunately.

Registered Ranger
    Tuconots
    Been screwing around with this for a couple days now. It is amazing how user friendly it is. If you have the time/patience to build a world you can make a pretty solid RPG with no skills whatsoever. The time commitment seems to be the biggest hurdle to overcome. I spent hours just designing a town exterior. Didn't even get to the insides of the buildings yet, or the characters/lore that would need to go on top of that heh.

Really fun and easy, but I'm not sure I have the patience for the months of work it would take to build anything worth playing. If you like that kind of busy work though this program is excellent.

Tuconots
    Eventing is usually the biggest time killer. Setting up NPC dialogue, cutscenes, dungeon puzzles, and things like that. It's not very difficult most of the time, but requires playtesting and things. It's where I always burned out.

Tuconots
    Yeah, I think everyone who makes a game (especially by themselves) comes to the hard realization very quickly that "holy fuck this is going to take a really long time". If a complete game is your only goal, I think learning the toolset will keep you occupied for a while, but you will eventually burn out unless you have amazing self-discipline. I had to readjust my mentality and convince myself to enjoy all the little parts. Now I look at all the busy work like I do restringing and tuning my guitar or shining my shoes, taking pride in the little nuances of it. It's sort of like Bob Ross rolling with his happy little accidents. Instead of being frustrating it became relaxing.

Banned
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Sized Coffin View Post
    Yeah, I think everyone who makes a game (especially by themselves) comes to the hard realization very quickly that "holy fuck this is going to take a really long time". If a complete game is your only goal, I think learning the toolset will keep you occupied for a while, but you will eventually burn out unless you have amazing self-discipline. I had to readjust my mentality and convince myself to enjoy all the little parts. Now I look at all the busy work like I do restringing and tuning my guitar or shining my shoes, taking pride in the little nuances of it. It's sort of like Bob Ross rolling with his happy little accidents. Instead of being frustrating it became relaxing.
    Yeah, its simple enough but requires some time put in.

Had some fun getting to use whatever sprite i wanted to put in combat, also to delimit regions and have specific monsters around a lake i made. Was one of those enjoy little things u were talkin about.

What killed it a bit for me is forum doesnt seem to be super active so if im tired at 2am and cant be arsed to look through a large amount of tutorial content, not alot of chance ill get a quick answer to my question so i have to stop my progress or try to work on something else.

Like i couldnt get an answer in 2 days about whats the pixel by pixel size of combat backgrounds I should be using or how to get combat backgrounds to show ingame like they do in battle test.

Tuconots
    I love this program. Building a game is a blast so far. Only bad thing is I have no idea how to script or anything like that. What would be a good resource on how to script with Ruby? I think I spend more time looking for scripts online then anything else with this program.

Tuconots
    You can try going through TryRuby. It's not RPG Maker specific, but should be easy to adapt to it. RubyMonk is also good but looks like it requires a subscription for some areas now. :/
    Last edited by xrg; 12-25-2012 at 09:18 PM.

Tuconots
    TryRuby was great, thanks for that! I occasionally get on once in a while to screw around with, it most certainly is fun. Even if I never release anything I already feel I got my moneys worth out of it. The sprite editor is fantastic though, holy jeez.

Tuconots
    The worst part about the entire line of RPG maker products is the abyssmal default battle system. You can't see the characters, so there's a huge disconnect. There are custom ways to get around it but generally require a lot of sort-of-programming.

Tuconots
    Hmm, I thought they had a FF style aesthetic for most of its incarnations. I guess it could just be a custom script whose use is so widespread that I was fooled.

Tuconots
    RM2003 has a side-view battle system. Every other one has a front-view battle system. Any of them that allow scripting someone usually makes a side-view and there was even tactical battle systems available for some of them. Since you can only script the actual game and not the editor, maintaining those custom battle systems tends to be cumbersome.

It's quite a bit of extra work for people to make art assets for a side-view battle system, which is why I think they tend to shy away from it by default.

Registered User Astral Projection's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Inquisitor Kegkilla View Post
    why doesn't someone make an FoH, err, rerolled RPG with one of these things? i'm sure theres more than enough nerd know how here to get it done.
    I'm currently releasing a game on Steam/Desura, but was planning on my next game to be Ultima 4-5 style party 2D party-based RPG but with modern UI and graphics. Seems like there are almost no RPGs like that on the market now. Would be aiming to revitalize the genre kind of how Legend Of Grimrock did for the 1st person dungeon crawler. Planning to use Unity mainly for easy ports to Windows/Mac, and potentially mobile ports if the game sells.

BTW, anyone know of any good current RPGs with gameplay like Ultima 4 or 5? Namely:

- large 2D world map
    - control a full party
    - tactical top-down grid combat (like the D&D gold box games)

The only thing I don't want from Ultima 4 or 5 is the 1st-person dungeon navigation. Dungeons would be top-down just like the world map and combat would be on a grid.

Tuconots
    Biggest downside to this series was always the stupid Dragon Warrior style combat vs. the Final Fantasy style. It's simpler to code/make, but Weaponsfree mentioned, it makes it harder to connect with your character and it just seems more boring. I guess it makes sense since the DW had a huge following in Japan, but still.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Astral Projection View Post
    BTW, anyone know of any good current RPGs with gameplay like Ultima 4 or 5? Namely:

- large 2D world map
    - control a full party
    - tactical top-down grid combat (like the D&D gold box games)

The only thing I don't want from Ultima 4 or 5 is the 1st-person dungeon navigation. Dungeons would be top-down just like the world map and combat would be on a grid.
    I must admit I never played Ultima 4 or 5 so I could be wrong, but the latest RPG to come across my path is that seems in the vein you're looking for is the one the Starbound guys are currently pushing, Wanderlust. It's apparently not completely new, but seen a resurgence following the linking with Starbound.

May I ask, how did you get on Steam? Did you go through Greenlight or via another avenue? Care to mention what the title is too?

Tuconots
    I started screwing with this about a week ago and have not stopped since. I made a quick 45minute adventure for the kids, and one of them loved it, so I am hooked.

Messing with it brought back so many childhood memories of early console RPG's that I find myself more into it than I expected to get. So its led me to scour the net for scripts and tutorials. Its nice to find that this forum has jumped in for each other. Because I have a few issues that have my proverbial panties in a bunch at the moment.

First, I learned to code in strong static typed languages like Java, and C#, so I have had a hellova time deconstructing example scripts in Ruby. One of the weakest most dynamic typed languages out there. Can anyone point me to a RGSS3 Design Document? I am still having crazy trouble figuring out how and where to grab data from the global variables and methods made available in the default scripts.

Or if anyone is willing to answer a multitude of where's and how's I would much appreciate it!
    Last edited by Grimsark; 02-04-2013 at 10:07 PM.
    "Sooner or later, reality becomes a quaint idea that most 'suffer' only when needed." - Grimsark
    IndieDev Gospel: Make Games - Finishing a Game
    Clarke's 3rd Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
    Grey's Law: "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice".
    “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” - R.W. Emerson

Tuconots
    The manual that comes with it is usually pretty good. This site covers Ruby pretty well too if syntax and things are troubling. I don't have any RGSS specific things though, as I haven't used RPG Maker in several years.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by xrg View Post
    The manual that comes with it is usually pretty good. This site covers Ruby pretty well too if syntax and things are troubling. I don't have any RGSS specific things though, as I haven't used RPG Maker in several years.
    Yeah, the help document was the first place I looked. Besides some general stuff, I have still had to poke and prod, and mostly guess, my way through error after error to get things working.

I have about 35+ scripts lifted from various forums, and can accomplish pretty much everything I can think of, somehow or another. There is just one thing I would really like to be able to do, but the script I found to do it, clashes badly with one of Yanfly's menu altering methods, and I am to ignorant to see how to stop it. I am sure as I push through I will finely figure it out.

On that note, there is one specific thing I'd like to ask:

Is there a way to get tiles in a bridge to allow walking under and over them? I saw it done in a YouTube video (I think). Or it could have just been a fake bridge...
    I can make one that can be passed under via events, but I am not sure how or if I can then make them walkable on top?
    "Sooner or later, reality becomes a quaint idea that most 'suffer' only when needed." - Grimsark
    Clarke's 3rd Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
    Grey's Law: "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice".
    “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” - R.W. Emerson

Tuconots
    Finely got around to looking for my own solution... (busy week)

Found it. Just in case anyone else is interested.

Tuconots
    If you want a side-view battle system, here's a good drop in one.

Tuconots
    Steam has this on sale, I'm thinking of picking it up and practicing my game design type stuff.

You can't toss the end product up on Steam for like $3 a pop when your done though can you? Is there anything similar to this that lets you do that?

Tuconots
    Steam has Greenlight which allows people to submit games. If it gets voted up enough and with some Black Valve Magic Voodoo (they won't really discuss it), it can be put on Steam.

There is also Desura which is like the poorman's Steam. I think they have no real restrictions beyond having a relatively working game. However, apparently they were just bought out by Linden Labs (Second Life guys) so who knows what/if will happen with Desura.

There's also the Humble Bundle which does indie games (and books now I believe).

Tuconots
    Buying this game does give you full license for reselling products made with it. You just can't sell the assets individually, they all have to be part of your game.

So yes, you can absolutely make an RPG in this program and market it.

Tuconots
    You absolutely have to have at least one external QA tester if you have a serious project. By external, I mainly mean someone not involved with development and who has had limited or no access to any design docs you may have written up for the project. As a developer, you are too close to the game to be able to QA it objectively, and you'll also miss lots of things that you'll never think to look for because you never intended for the end user to be trying to do those things. If you have a project large enough for multiple developers, you can have them QAing other people's assets, but it's still best to have one person who does nothing but QA.

Tuconots
    There are also packs, selling music or assets on the steam store on sale right now as well. It's the last day of the sale so get them if you wish.

I just really wish you could increase the resolution or fullscreen it without it looking like garbage. Forcing people to play in tiny windows is kind of a turnoff, which is a shame because I love this program.

Tuconots
    Right now I'm going to just use it as a tool to learn a system and write a little story, just probably using the basics to see what I end up with.

I'll see if I end up tossing it out the window in rage or making something appreciable. If the latter maybe I'll move on to a more proper project.

It has been a long time since I worked on anything, so just wanting to get my feet wet so to speak. I was just curious if I got good at it this system if it was potentially marketable or if just could only make shareware or something.

I'm holding out a few more hours to see if it goes on sale for 75% off before the sale ends tomorrow morning

Tuconots
    I've had this for quite some time now, and its pretty fun, especially if you start doing custom stuff, I highly recommend the High Fantasy or Horror packs from the store as add-ons if the Japanese style doesn't ticke you.

Tuconots
    I am thinking of getting this. Anyone here have anything made? I had a fairly long RPG (10 hours lol) made in a way earlier version, but it's long gone.
    Noodleface#1412 - <Rerolled> US-Hyjal Horde - Noodleface

Follow me on Twitch! - Streaming Rerolled minivan dad raids Friday nights 9PM EST and Saturday mornings 11AM EST!

Tuconots
    I have managed a tiny island with a linear dungeon and a chest and some monsters... but I can't figure out how to get monsters to despawn after being defeated. Also started on some custom stats.

I've been distracted by Shadowrunning to do much more yet.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhaun View Post
    I have managed a tiny island with a linear dungeon and a chest and some monsters... but I can't figure out how to get monsters to despawn after being defeated. Also started on some custom stats.

I've been distracted by Shadowrunning to do much more yet.
    Use the events self switch to transition to a blank page. Effectively despawns them.

If you want them to come back when you leave the area and come back, use the Erase Event instead.
    Last edited by Grimsark; 07-30-2013 at 02:31 AM.

Hard Truths Cut Both Ways AladainAF's Avatar
    Tuconots
    There is also Desura which is like the poorman's Steam. I think they have no real restrictions beyond having a relatively working game. However, apparently they were just bought out by Linden Labs (Second Life guys) so who knows what/if will happen with Desura.
    That's actually a great thing, Linden is really good on content creators, despite the general silliness of virtual pixels and all that. Theres a shitload of money in it, and it's not surprising to me that LL wants to be into it.

This is $23.79 on Steam atm btw, 66% off.

Everything is meaningless Vinen's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by AladainAF View Post
    That's actually a great thing, Linden is really good on content creators, despite the general silliness of virtual pixels and all that. Theres a shitload of money in it, and it's not surprising to me that LL wants to be into it.

This is $23.79 on Steam atm btw, 66% off.
    All of the 3rd party DLC is on sale as well.

Tuconots
    Looks fun to tinker with, picked up some of the DLC too. At the very least thought it'd be fun to try and recreate my group of friends, some common hangouts, our high school, some of our house layouts and piece some quests together. Expand upon the hysteria of our game nights playing Battlestar Galactica and create a story about trying to figure out who the cylons are.

Tuconots
    One of the earlier iterations of RPG maker I did that for a forum I was on (guitar.com). It sounded so funny thinking about it, actual execution was awful.
    Noodleface#1412 - <Rerolled> US-Hyjal Horde - Noodleface

Follow me on Twitch! - Streaming Rerolled minivan dad raids Friday nights 9PM EST and Saturday mornings 11AM EST!

Tuconots
    For those that get into adding scripts to the engine, these are a hand full of the scriptwriters I frequent the most.

Note: These authors provide their work as FREE TO USE IN ALL PROJECTS. Including commercial. There are a ton more out there that will sell you their scripts for commercial use, and some that will let you use them only in non-commercial projects...
    Its important to always check an authors Terms Of Use.

Tsukihime - http://himeworks.wordpress.com/ (No longer 100% free to use. Changed is TOS in October'13)
    My favorate's of his: Troop Placeholders, Encounter Conditions, Encounter Alert...

Yanfly - http://yanflychannel.wordpress.com/rmvxa/
    My favorate's of his: (I use nearly 90% of his scripts FYI) Victory Aftermath, Buff & State Manager, Learn Skill Engine, Ace Save Engine, Ace Message System...

*** A few scripters that I use very little of their stuff, but wanted to mention them. ***

Kread-EX - http://grimoirecastle.wordpress.com/rgss3-scripts/
    (Scripts Used) Cannibalism, Conditioned Traits, Skill Upgrade...

Atelier RGSS - http://www.atelier-rgss.com/RGSS/RGSS_VX_ACE.html (Some of the most polished systems you can find)

Fomar0153 - http://cobbtocs.co.uk/wp/?page_id=76

Nicke (XS) - http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,45651.0.html

*** A master list, kept up by the community ***
    (Must check individual TOS statements)

RMVXA Script Listing...

*** NON-COMMERCIAL USE MENTION ***
    Khas Arcthunder - BEST DAMNED LIGHT EFFECTS YOU CAN FIND.
    (Many devs don't use this script due to the performance hit. But I have not found a better one.)
    Last edited by Grimsark; 10-14-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Tuconots
    RPG maker has tempted me for years. I've always dreamed of making my own 16bit RPG. I'm currently studying to be a coder so I imagine that learning curve would be minimal. I also have a decent length DnD campaign that I wrote a while back that I would love to convert. My only quam is finding other team members. I really don't care for the notion of pulling from a pool of public resources to make something. Finding someone to do pixel art, someone to do music, and someone to bug-test would be rough. If I really could make a good RPG all by myself this would be a no-brainer.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Lodi View Post
    RPG maker has tempted me for years. I've always dreamed of making my own 16bit RPG. I'm currently studying to be a coder so I imagine that learning curve would be minimal. I also have a decent length DnD campaign that I wrote a while back that I would love to convert. My only quam is finding other team members. I really don't care for the notion of pulling from a pool of public resources to make something. Finding someone to do pixel art, someone to do music, and someone to bug-test would be rough. If I really could make a good RPG all by myself this would be a no-brainer.
    I am making one atm, alone.

I am learning what I can as I go... Ruby had my head in knots for a few months, as I am a static/strong typed (self-taught) coder, but I can manage to write simple scripts now even with the bizarre syntax. But mostly I have re-purposed community materials from authors that don't mind commercial use.

I intend to release the first chapter or two for free and see what the reception is like. If people think its worth paying for later chapters with extended features and story, then I might make it a regular thing.

As for assets, I have done several re-colors with Photoshop on some environmental pixel art. Turned out rather well considering.

But actor art is another story... If I end up actually making money with it, I will pay someone to make a series of applicable actor art, and some more variants of stock art...

Some of my recolors:
    dgr_28.PNGdgr_29.PNGdgr_30.PNG

One of my early towns:
    dgr_31.jpg

I'd say go for it. You really have nothing to lose, besides a sense of self importance.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimsark View Post
    I am making one atm, alone.

I am learning what I can as I go... Ruby had my head in knots for a few months, as I am a static/strong typed (self-taught) coder, but I can manage to write simple scripts now even with the bizarre syntax. But mostly I have re-purposed community materials from authors that don't mind commercial use.

I intend to release the first chapter or two for free and see what the reception is like. If people think its worth paying for later chapters with extended features and story, then I might make it a regular thing.

As for assets, I have done several re-colors with Photoshop on some environmental pixel art. Turned out rather well considering.

But actor art is another story... If I end up actually making money with it, I will pay someone to make a series of applicable actor art, and some more variants of stock art...

Some of my recolors:
    dgr_28.PNGdgr_29.PNGdgr_30.PNG

One of my early towns:
    dgr_31.jpg

I'd say go for it. You really have nothing to lose, besides a sense of self importance.

It seems like modding stock sprites is relatively easy. Bit art is at least so point by point that it's really easy to alter.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Lodi View Post
    It seems like modding stock sprites is relatively easy. Bit art is at least so point by point that it's really easy to alter.
    Believe me I thought so too, until I tried it. I soon realized that its an acquired finesse that takes some practice. At least for me, and I would consider myself a relatively artistic type.
    Often times what I think looks reasonable in Photoshop, looks shit in game, and visa-verse. It also has a lot to do with the resolution and brightness your game plays in. With RMVXA its super small. Almost painfully small.

Either way, it is what you make it. The hardest thing I think I have had to learn is to remain consistent.

Working on something like an RPG for weeks and months can often result in your work changing unnoticeably, until you find yourself using completely different descriptors for stuff, mixing up item names, creating states that overlap with other states and whatnot.

Organization only gets so far. It really takes an anal-retentiveness that even I have trouble maintaining sometimes.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimsark View Post

Either way, it is what you make it. The hardest thing I think I have had to learn is to remain consistent.

Working on something like an RPG for weeks and months can often result in your work changing unnoticeably, until you find yourself using completely different descriptors for stuff, mixing up item names, creating states that overlap with other states and whatnot.

Organization only gets so far. It really takes an anal-retentiveness that even I have trouble maintaining sometimes.
    Yeah, I was actually thinking of writing out a flow chart before I get going. I can't imagine just working on the project and remembering every little thing as I go along.

Welp, I guess it's time to brush up on Ruby.

Tuconots
    I have been tinkering around lately and this guide has been really helpful for introductory stuff. I am trying to build my game using the default tools and graphics as much as possible for now because learning how to make my own has proven too much of a distraction to my story-boarding. I already have so much story to tell and have been dumping potential script into an event with the appropriate character's graphic so that I don't loose it while I spend the time it takes building the scripted story events that drive the story, I have also chosen an neutral character whose only purpose is act like a checklist (or checklists because he is standing all over the place) so I don't forget what I am doing or why I did something.

I have found that as I build the world, the world often lends a hand. The small town that is the center of activity has a handful of characters and I am finding that as I flesh out their personalities I begin to change their residences to better reflect them and sometimes their fundamental personalities change and need to be rewritten so as not to act out of character when I need them to forward the story with an act that is beyond their original bounds. My ultimate goal is to finish a first chapter in a much larger story and to that effect I have chose a large default over-world but am confining my activities to one small portion of one continent and the small town that becomes an emerging nation and later a dominant oppressive empire over the course of the story, but in later chapters. In the course of learning how to script events (using the pre-built tools, no Ruby) I have figured out some neat things that I can add to the after-story portion of my game (because there is a sense of urgency throughout the first chapter I can't find a good reason to allow the characters to play with the time wasters I am building while the main story is in effect. This is something that really bothers me about side-quests, that they often occur when you really should be doing other things. I am working on ways to integrate them into the story without breaking pace.).

As I build the world I am find myself connecting to the creators of Final Fantasy IV in a way. I have figured out that the Dancers in the inns throughout that game were probably scripting exercises they developed while figuring out how to make the characters "act" instead of just delivering dialogue while standing still, one of the most endearing qualities of that game was all of the movement in the scripted scenes from the simplicity of Porom bopping Palom on the head for saying something stupid or the more intricate scenes of Cid and Edge fixing and fighting and fixing and arguing and fixing the Falcon.

While I don't relish the idea for spending innumerable hours dedicated to something that in the end will likely not make me a single cent I must say it's been a fun and interesting experience and when I have finished this first chapter I can at least finally say I made a game, and hopefully I will be able to say it with some amount of pride but that depends on the effort I put into it.

"why doesn't someone make an FoH, err, rerolled RPG with one of these things? i'm sure theres more than enough nerd know how here to get it done."

Oh god, what would that look like? I imagine the entire game would be choosing from a selection of 3 spoiler tags, one concealing a dick, one concealing a tranny dick and one concealing an adorable kitten. I would imagine that scoring would be based on the number of "wins" one achieves by selecting the kitten spoiler but I might be assuming too much about what the good people on this site consider "winning", you sick weird bastards.
    Last edited by Jefferson; 12-01-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Tuconots
    This is on sale on steam for $17 until Friday.

Confirmed Beta Shitlord. Phazael's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Back when I worked on modules for NWN (I think my stupid trilogy is still up on their site?), I kept design documents for everything, including reams of charts showing game flow and how areas were connected, as well as a master list of various global variables and terminology. Doing that was a pain in the ass at first, but by the third module I was glad I had all of that to refer to. Things were consistent, straightforward, and very optimized as a result. My wife might kill me if I spent another three months on something like this, but I am sorely tempted to dive into this.
    668 The Neighbor of the Beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Erronious
    I don't F5 Rerolled often, but when I do, I'm waiting on nudes

Tuconots
    Phazael, could/would you use those charts to make other games?
    Warrior, Innoruuk Server

Tuconots

Tuconots
    Picked up RPG Maker VX Ace pretty cheap months ago. I'm looking forward to using it to make a non-RPG. I figure the interface could work well enough for a mystery/adventure that wouldn't include a battle system at all. Of course, I still have to learn the ins & outs of the software, but I figure a project that involves storyboarding, creating events and designing my own graphics would be a decent intro to game creation. Making the graphics will likely be the biggest challenge, but I simply can't bear the idea of my game having the same generic graphics as thousand of other people's. That, and I want the game to take place modern day.

Has anybody made anything they're proud of? Any particular hurdles or challenges that were difficult to overcome?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanoomba View Post
    Any particular hurdles or challenges that were difficult to overcome?
    Learning Ruby. After focusing my efforts on C# and Java, Ruby was a brain twist.
    Though I wouldn't try to do to much with Ruby(for games), because its easily 10 to 100 times slower than C#.

I'd recommend checking this out. Lots of example to work from. Especially the few projects that also include the non-encrypted builds.
    http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/

edit: No I am not a participant.
    Last edited by Grimsark; 07-10-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Tuconots
    ...double post...

Tuconots
    I've spent several hours playing (or trying to play) through several of these contest submissions, and this one is by far my favorite so far.

You're Under Arrest

edit: On that note, the battles are quite boring... But its not the battles the make this good.
    Last edited by Grimsark; 08-06-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Tuconots
    A lesson hard learned, if at all, is that feature creep is real and it is one evil fuck... /sigh

Tuconots
    On sale at Steam until 9/19

After years of wanting this, I got it and I have to admit, it's less easy than I'd hoped.
    Last edited by Sacel; 09-24-2014 at 02:57 PM.
    Warrior, Innoruuk Server

Tuconots
    How easy did you expect it to be though?

Btw for those interested in learning Ruby maybe this site will help:
    Ruby Koans Online

Tuconots
    RPG Maker MV announced/available for pre-order

RPG Maker MV | RPG Maker | Make Your Own Video Games!

Some of the biggest changes/features

1) They -finally- have a native side-view battle system option instead of just the Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest style stuff
    2) Multi-platform support for the games you make. You can make mobile device versions and web-based versions of your game.

Those 2 things alone make me want to get it, especially since you can make phone app versions of your game

Tuconots
    The RPG Maker scene is strange.

Tuconots
    Draegan's bitch ass sold us out to MMORPG.com

Exodus underway to ReReRolled.org - A Gaming Community

Thread Information