Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Board games.

Tuconots

Board games.

so i have a bit of a board game itch.

i've got a small group of friends who are sort of into board games. as a group, we are by no means board game connoisseurs. we play pretty basic games at the moment like monopoly which i am starting to grow to hate.

can anyone recommend me some games that are somewhat like settlers of cataan but with a greater possibility for back stabbing, treachery, and deceit? looking for like 30 minute to an hour duration.

Tuconots
    Catan is generally hated by my group of board gamers (basically they call it island of monopoly cause of the die roll allocating so much resources to luck).

Our favorite (most played) 4 to 5 player games are probably Smallworld and Lords of Waterdeep. A little longer than your 30 to 60 minutes (probably in the 60 to 90 range), however they do fit your backstabbing category.

We have only played Spartacus: A game of blood and treachery once, but it seemed like it has a lot of potential (also longer than an hour) and its another game that has a lot of potential for politics in a game.

For other 4-5 player games I or someone in my group owns:

Pandemic is a pretty neat 4 player co-op game that is pretty difficult to beat.

Carcassone and Ticket to ride are pretty fun and simple games that fit the time frame.

7 wonders is a drafting game that is pretty good for 4 people and plays pretty quick.

Dominion and Ascension are good deck building games.

I own and have played more board games than that in the last year, but those are some of my top games right now.

Tuconots
    http://www.wolfire.com/desperate-gods

CHeck this out its an open source, board game me and my friends have been playing it quite a bit and it being online means you don't have to share any of your fuking cheetos
    pluss its free

SPECIAL BEAM CANNON
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Angerz View Post
    Our favorite (most played) 4 to 5 player games are probably Smallworld and Lords of Waterdeep.
    Much like how I think Settlers of Catan is a great game to introduce new players to what the genre can offer I would highly recommend Lords of Waterdeep as an introduction to the sub-genre of worker placement games. In Lords of Waterdeep each player has a number of Agents determined by the number of players in the game. Each player than takes a turn placing their Agent at a location on the board. The locations do things like provide resources, build buildings that offer additional actions that can be taken, let you play cards that screw people over a bit, and so on. The catch is that each location has a limited number of spaces, often 1, that can be occupied so while you are trying to complete objectives you cannot be sure who is going to fill up what location and when.

Right now my group has been playing a bunch of Age of Empires III : Age of Discovery + the Empires : Builder expansion and I've got a real crush on that game. It's a worker placement game like Waterdeep and I'm going to be sad once everyone else burns out on it.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by balroc View Post

i've got a small group of friends who are sort of into board games. as a group, we are by no means board game connoisseurs. we play pretty basic games at the moment like monopoly which i am starting to grow to hate.

can anyone recommend me some games that are somewhat like settlers of cataan but with a greater possibility for back stabbing, treachery, and deceit? looking for like 30 minute to an hour duration.
    This and San Juan (similar mechanic, card based) are very interesting and as you get better and figure out the intricacies of the game you can screw over your friends pretty well.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3076/puerto-rico

pic158548_md.jpg

If you don't like your friends or have no interest in remaining friends:

http://72.233.16.130/boardgame/483/diplomacy

pic288149.jpg

Tuconots
    My group of friends played the fuck out of Axis and Allies and Shogun. Much like 4 day AV battles in Vanilla, usually the game ended when the guy playing Russia got sick of taking back Ukraine for the 55th time and flips the board.

Note: I may be in the minority but I enjoyed Shogun over A&A.

Tuconots

Imperial (90 minutes)
    Small World (60 minutes)

Are my current favorites for what you're looking to do.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/24181/imperial
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...92/small-world

Imperial is the better game for what you're looking to do but small world is easier to pick up.
    #Kobane

Quote Originally Posted by Iannis View Post
    Surrogates have been calling Trump a racist and a sexist for months now. I'm not sure how well that's working out.

Tuconots
    My friends and I have a weekly board game night. We are incredibly picky about what we play and rarely find a game all four of us are willing to play more than two or three times.

A few weeks ago one of the guys bought Chaos in the Old World and we have been pleasantly surprised by it. It is set in Warhammer fantasy where each play is one of the chaos powers. There are various ways to win: dominating areas and corrupting them for victory points, accomplishing power specific goals to gain ticks on your "victory wheel", or everyone can lose if the game lasts too long. Each power plays a vastly different game than the others, which adds a lot of replay value.

We've only played four or five times, and two of those we messed up the rules, but I think there is a lot of play to the game. After three games we had a fifteen minute discussion about how Khorne seemed unstoppable and there was nothing you could do to keep them from winning in three or four turns. We played one more game after discussing it and Khorne was solidly in last place due everyone being hyper aware of their power.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4...-the-old-world

Tuconots
    To get a nice idea of some popular games out there, and for just entertainment value alone, may I suggest Wil Wheaton's Tabletop web series on youtube.

Tuconots
    Settlers is still the best. The rolls will tend to balance over time, and the game is much more complex than people think. Playing settlers with 4 or 5 tournament caliber players versus 4 or 5 people who have played a handful of times or that haven't really mastered the game is eye opening.

Tuconots
    Agricola.

Tuconots
    Risk: Legacy is pretty fun if you plan on playing with the same group of people. Formula D is a fun racing board game that my friends and I played a 'season' of for cash with teams. I second pretty much all of the other suggestions with my favorite being Diplomacy, which you can also play online http://www.playdiplomacy.com/

Tuconots
    I just bought munchkin quest to play with my 7 year old. The box just arrived so i did not to try yet but the manual is much thicker than i expected. Anyone play it before? How simple is it to get for a kid? Can you start playing right away and learn as you go?

Tuconots
    i second Agricola. I feel it has a higher "fun factor" than Puerto Rico. Maybe its the theme of farming and if you get custom meeple accessories. The problem is that it takes a while to setup, so 30 minutes won't work. Le Havre is right inbetween Agricola and Puerto Rico imo, pick it up on the iPad if you have one.

For 30 minutes, you could try Quarriors. It isn't really a board game but 30 minutes will definitely be enough time to dish out a game or two.

Tuconots
    small world looks like a lot of fun. thanks for the replies.

Tuconots
    Munchkin. With an expanded deck you can fuck people for 30 minutes or hours.

Registered BS Wizard Black Sun Wizard's Avatar
    Tuconots
    If you want something simple and easy, look into Carcasonne or Settlers.

I give huge recommendations for Galaxy Trucker. It's one of those easy to learn but hard to master ... if anyone actually masters that.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulrn View Post
    Munchkin. With an expanded deck you can fuck people for 30 minutes or hours.
    Came here to post this. Munchkin is awesome. It's fun and has some depth, but it's not a game where you're going to spend the majority of the time going over rules.

I don't know how people do complicated board games with booze. The last time we tried Axis and Allies, people were too drunk to continue before the 3rd team even got their turn.

Tuconots
    If you like card games:
    Race of the Galaxy
    Resident Evil Deck Building game
    Ninja Burger

Actual board games:
    Pandemic (mentioned)
    Power Grid
    Settlers of Catan
    Last Night on Earth

Tuconots
    Descent: 2E, Arkham Horror (seriously not one mention yet guys? for shame on all of you!) and Mage-Knight are all the gotos for the wife and I right now.

Lords of Waterdeep and Ticket to Ride (w/ 1911 expac) are our favorites with others.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaclav View Post
    Descent: 2E, Arkham Horror
    I do own both of these, but the OP asked for a time frame much shorter than either of these games allows for, but I guess other people may be in the mood for longer games who are reading this thread.

Descent is very good, however I have found as the overlord playing 4v1 against 4 players just as good as you at board gaming is a good recipe to get beat over and over. The games are close, but having 4 minds versus your one is a lot to overcome. Game is still very fun, despite this (and maybe I'm just worse than I think I am).

Still, for everyone, I cannot recommend Lords of Waterdeep and Smallworld enough. Those are a great foundation for a gaming group.

Tuconots
    King of Tokyo. Seriously. Awesome fun, easy to learn, goes great with booze. As soon as it even kind of starts to get old (will take a while, trust me) pick up the expansion: adds a ton of extra content and "evolutions" that expand the game for the best.

Tuconots
    Twilight Imperium if you can find a group of 6-8 masochistic friends that are willing to participate in a 12-16 hour game. My gaming group gets together and plays once every four months. It's a great mix of strategy, diplomacy, combat, trade, and resource management.

Combat is much like axis and allies. It is well balanced, although high end ships kind of dominate late game. The good thing is that the way fleet logistics work in the game, you can never build a fleet large enough to just run through the galaxy without checks and balances. You can have very large fleets for sure, but you have to be fairly strategic in their usage.

The game's diplomacy system is pretty unique. Creating alliances and trade agreements all happens between the players dynamically over the duration of the game. The built in diplomatic feature is a "galactic senate" of sorts where players get together and vote on various rules and agendas once per turn which can have significant impacts on the game.

Not for everyone because of the time investment, but one of the deeper board games I have ever played.

Tuconots
    small world looks like a lot of fun. thanks for the replies.
    If you get Small World (Which I agree IS fun), make sure you get the Underground version. It's basically second edition, with all the same mechanics as the original, plus a couple cool little additions that the community seems to agree are all welcome additions.

Tuconots
    Our frequently played games:

- Settlers of Catan (anyone who doesn't like it is a Mexican, Jew-rat)
    - Munchkin (cards) and Munchkin Quest (board)
    - Dominion (cards)
    - Thunderstone (cards)
    - Carcasonne (board)

Back in the day: Axis and Allies, Shogun, Warhammer, Warhammer 40k (table top minis, but it counts), Britonia, Diplomacy, and Risk.

Hopefully you have an FLGS (friendly local game store, AKA. independant retailer) near you and they can give you some pointers. They will likely carry everything in this whole thread and have demo/game nights.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Azziane View Post
    I just bought munchkin quest to play with my 7 year old. The box just arrived so i did not to try yet but the manual is much thicker than i expected. Anyone play it before? How simple is it to get for a kid? Can you start playing right away and learn as you go?
    Umm....might be a bit much for a 7 year old, but you could probably simplify things to suit your needs and just have fun with him/her building the map and fighting the monsters. The card game is actually easier than the board game, mechanic wise, but I understand the visual and tactile appeal of the board game. We love it, but even I had to play a couple times to get it all down.

Tuconots
    http://wizkidsgames.com/quarriors/

Quarriors. Fun dice/card card. Very easy to learn, quick games, and really addicting. Shit loads of dice~

SPECIAL BEAM CANNON
    Tuconots
    Quarriors does a bunch of things right. People like rolling dice, the dice are pretty, the art is fun, and the flavor is good.

Today I played History of the World for the first time.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2...y-of-the-world

It was five hours of Risk-esque territory control and dice based combat with additional major random elements thrown in on top. I hated it and would never recommend anyone play it ever. Each turn players are dealt a card that determines what empire they are going to be playing that turn and they can either pass it face down to another player or take it for themselves. Once all the cards have been assigned each player takes their turn in the order dictated by the card and scores after they are done. You get a number of troops, you enter the board on the location the card says, and you rampage about trying to earn points. Combat is six siders with some modifiers and when it isn't your turn your only involvement is maybe rolling one or two dice as the defender. Each player has a deck of 10 cards that do things and two of which can be played per age.

Going in to the last turn of the game one of the players roughly tied for first ended up with what was unquestionably the worst country and four troops to work with everyone else was getting 8 to 18. Thanks for playing.

For me big random elements and long games do not mix.

Tuconots
    Lord of the Rings: The Card Game is a lot of fun. Great game for 2 players, and not too long. Fairly easy to learn too.

Tuconots
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tXufJBFAXI Descent: Second Edition
    Sold it for me.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    A family friendly game (rule not too complicated, enough luck involved to give hope to weaker players, no player elimination, no backstabbing, games not too long) that is still engaging is Kingsburg.

Tuconots
    These are games I play with my little ones (4/6) and are pretty fun for all: Zombie Dice, Cthulhu Dice, Blockus, Blockus 3d, Ticket to Ride, Sequence, Stratego, Qwirkle, Yahtzee, Angry Birds Jenga and Rumicube. The main thing with those is they all play fast so I can keep them focused. Plus with the dice games I'm tricking them into learning basic math and chance/probability.

The non kid ones are Catan, Carcasone (although I usually just fire up the Xbox arcade version these days), Puerto Rico, Dominion, Pit, Munchkin, as well as some old classics like Risk and Axis/Allies.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Burren View Post
    Umm....might be a bit much for a 7 year old, but you could probably simplify things to suit your needs and just have fun with him/her building the map and fighting the monsters. The card game is actually easier than the board game, mechanic wise, but I understand the visual and tactile appeal of the board game. We love it, but even I had to play a couple times to get it all down.
    Munchkin (regular) would have been perfect. Deluxe edition adds a simple board with figures/tokens too. Munchkin quest is a lot of fun still. We played 2 games (could not finish either, due to taking long turns from not knowing the rules too well). My wife was the one losing focus before my kid did though. So I wish I had gone for the regular game but do not regret buying Quest at all.

Our last game lasted about 2~ hours with me fighting the boss for the first time at the end. Nobody had been using curse cards much at all. Once I got level 10 and rushed the entrance they both piled on. I thought I was doing OK with my level 10+ ~10 levels of armor/weapons, thief class and dual race elf/dwarf. Also had 3 potion cards to add a +5 level (still not sure if there is a limit to how many potions you can have/use from your "belt"). Anyway. I ended up fighting a level 30~ monster right before the boss, which had me use a potion and then a level 45 boss (shrieking geek) with some bonus dice rolls from all the curses they had saved throughout the game.

I also don't get the "charity" rule at the end of your turn. I see no reason why you would ever keep any card in your hand. Maybe we just did not get rooms that steal cards from your hand or something. Plus any extra armor or potions can go in your "belt" which has unlimited capacity. So having more than 5 cards in your hand just never happened to us.

Tuconots
    Amazon has Settlers of Catan on sale for $23.50 right now and board games don't normally go on sale, correct?

Any expansions I should be grabbing with it?

SPECIAL BEAM CANNON
    Tuconots
    The additional player expansion for the base game is a good thing to have.

Tuconots
    Settlers of Catan is the single greatest board game ever created for one reason: EVERYONE likes it. I've never had a friend/girlfriend-who-hates-board-games/relative/ANYONE who doesn't love playing Settlers after their first game. That's all about Settlers. It's the best board game period.

I'll add some content here with some great old-school board games later on because I am a heavy board-game junky and I own a lot of vintage games.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by tarquinn View Post
    Settlers of Catan is the single greatest board game ever created for one reason: EVERYONE likes it. I've never had a friend/girlfriend-who-hates-board-games/relative/ANYONE who doesn't love playing Settlers after their first game. That's all about Settlers. It's the best board game period.
    A lot of my MTG friends loathe settlers. They basically consider it one step up from Monopoly. The die roll element of the game adds such a high level of variance to the game, and not in a terribly interesting way (as compared to the variance from a deck building game, for example). Now, we play lots of games with die rolls, but they tend to come at the end of a strategic plan (descent, small world, etc) and sometimes probability can make you her bitch, but the game is not based around it.

Now, we do know that this exists

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2...an-event-cards

to smooth the effects of the dice, but we haven't gotten it yet to try it out (our stack of games to play is so high, it's not high on our list).

Our "everybody likes it" game of choice is usually Ticket to Ride. However, settlers is really liked by my "non-gamer" friends, so that's where I get most of my plays of that in. I'd recommend Settlers for people who aren't big board gamers, but if you are, there are definitely deeper games to play.

Who?
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyashusa View Post
    Amazon has Settlers of Catan on sale for $23.50 right now and board games don't normally go on sale, correct?

Any expansions I should be grabbing with it?
    Cities and Knights has been lauded by everyone I've talked to about it.

Registered User Necrath Evilcraft's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Nehrak View Post
    Cities and Knights has been lauded by everyone I've talked to about it.
    Personally if i was introduced to Knights and Cities before playing base Catan I would like it more. K&C screws with what I like most about Catan. It turns it more chaotic on top of the die rolls and extends the play time by double and then some. The progress cards in K&C alone piss me off.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by The Muze View Post
    Twilight Imperium if you can find a group of 6-8 masochistic friends that are willing to participate in a 12-16 hour game. My gaming group gets together and plays once every four months. It's a great mix of strategy, diplomacy, combat, trade, and resource management.

Combat is much like axis and allies. It is well balanced, although high end ships kind of dominate late game. The good thing is that the way fleet logistics work in the game, you can never build a fleet large enough to just run through the galaxy without checks and balances. You can have very large fleets for sure, but you have to be fairly strategic in their usage.

The game's diplomacy system is pretty unique. Creating alliances and trade agreements all happens between the players dynamically over the duration of the game. The built in diplomatic feature is a "galactic senate" of sorts where players get together and vote on various rules and agendas once per turn which can have significant impacts on the game.

Not for everyone because of the time investment, but one of the deeper board games I have ever played.
    this game looks absolutely insane. i would love to play something that huge in scope but there's no way in hell i could talk my friends into it.

Tuconots
    I played a number of games of Twilight Imperium with 6 (8?) players and I would say the biggest problem of the game is that you cannot interact with everybody. So you play 8 hours, but because of something that happened at the other end of the board, a guy is winning and you can't do jack about it. That and king making (Player C cannot win, but his action can decide which of Player A and Player B win) makes it a bit of a frustrating game. The turns are fun though, because you start with a plan and you have to adjust it or scrap it and make a new one like 5 times during each turn.

Tuconots
    Really enjoyed Heroquest years ago, but it's not readily available anymore and when you can find it, it's quite spendy.

Tuconots
    Catan is a good one, but I will not play it unless it's with the Cities and Knights expansion.

I also just started playing Crude with a buddy of mine and I highly recommend it. It has some of the same elements as catan such as dice rolling but with less worry about being screwed by the RNG. The key mechanic is that the value of commodities and structures (which you can sell) is hard coded into the game but it changes regularly. It is easy to learn and it plays fast.

I also recommend Power Grid and Manhattan Project.
    Last edited by Tortfeasor; 12-18-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuyley View Post
    To get a nice idea of some popular games out there, and for just entertainment value alone, may I suggest Wil Wheaton's Tabletop web series on youtube.

I started watching this yesterday and love it. I've started making a list of the games they play that look really fun and will probably pick up a few and see who I can get together to play with. Great thing about being able to watch them play is getting the basics down before even picking up a manual.

Tuconots
    Acquire is pretty good. Corporate simulation, think of it like monopoly for grown ups.

Tuconots
    I picked up Catan a couple weeks ago when it was on sale on Amazon. Last night I picked up 2 core sets of Lord of the Rings: The Card Game last night on Amazon for $17 each. It sounds like its right up my alley. Its a deck building game similar to MTG but its a living card game vs. collectible meaning I wont be spending all my cash on foil packs trying to get rares. Just buy the expansions and play. It can be played Solo or co-op with 2-4 players. I will primarily play it with my wife and we don't do well competitive so this should work out well. If she likes it then I will start picking up all the expansion packs. Anyone have any experience with this game, especially playing it 2 players?

Tuconots
    This thread has advice that's at opposite ends of the hardcore-casual spectrum. For the OP, or anyone else reading and looking for advice on what to get, you need to be aware of what kind of gamer you are and what kind of games are suitable for you. I assume we all played WoW or something similar, so I'll use metaphors from there to show you what I mean.

Were you a hardcore raider or Arena Junkie? Did you lose your shit when noobs would fight in the roads instead of at objectives in BGs? Did you enjoy min-maxing the shit out of your character and reading forums like Elitist Jerks? Well you're a hardcore gamer, and you will probably enjoy hardcore board games. The general keywords you are looking for are "euro games" and/or "war games" These are long (1-4 hours) and strategic games that you can spend many weeks on internet forums reading about optimal strats and how to pwn noobs. Euro games are very, very low on luck. It's rare to even find a euro game that uses dice. If you are control freak like me and rage-quit when you roll 1s twice in a row, you'll appreciate games like these. War games tend to involve a lot more luck (dice or cards), but you still have a high degree of "agency" (i.e. your decisions matter).

If what I just wrote rings true for you, then your best resource is Boardgamegeek.com and their rankings for "strategic games" and "war games." Anything in the top 50 is going to be the equivalent of an Oscar Winning movie, so don't be turned off by a game ranked 49 or something like that. On the other hand, you will probably hate everything played on Wil Wheaton's Table Top. I know I do.

If you're not the kind of gamer I described above, then the "thematic" and "party" game sections of Boardgamegeek are more for you. (NOTE: the top-ranked game in this section "Mage Knight" is probably not for you, at least not yet). But an even better resource for you would be Wil Wheaton's Table Top series, a video of which is a few posts above this one.

That's some pretty generic advice, but I hope it helps just to know *where* to go looking for info on games. I'll write up some specific games that I like later.
    Last edited by Voodoo Chile; 12-18-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Blood Bowl League Abandoner
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    Really enjoyed Heroquest years ago, but it's not readily available anymore and when you can find it, it's quite spendy.
    I picked up a couple copies + all the expansions on Ebay a few years ago, specifically for the purpose of playing with my kids as they get older. Great game. Simplified D&D, with more visuals and predefined quests. Had to make some house rules to balance it up a bit, but all in all, it's still pretty solid.

Also, if you're a Risk fan but not a "play the same game for 12 hours" fan, I suggest Lord Of the Rings Risk. It's not just a shitty merchandising knockoff like you'd expect. It's got a lot of great rule changes that speed the game up and make it more interesting. Don't think it's in print anymore either, but it certainly did a good job of cutting the game time down since the game absolutely ends at a certain point, and you're scored off points if you haven't reached domination by that point.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    I picked up Catan a couple weeks ago when it was on sale on Amazon. Last night I picked up 2 core sets of Lord of the Rings: The Card Game last night on Amazon for $17 each. It sounds like its right up my alley. Its a deck building game similar to MTG but its a living card game vs. collectible meaning I wont be spending all my cash on foil packs trying to get rares. Just buy the expansions and play. It can be played Solo or co-op with 2-4 players. I will primarily play it with my wife and we don't do well competitive so this should work out well. If she likes it then I will start picking up all the expansion packs. Anyone have any experience with this game, especially playing it 2 players?
    My friend and his wife own this, I don't know what their 2 player experience is like but we tend to play it 3-4 player on game nights sometimes and its fun. Some of the more difficult adventures you need to look through what you might encounter and design decks against it but other than that its a well executed game.

For those in this thread who like(or just like the sounds of) Twilight Imperium, I got Eclipse last week and have played a couple of games and am thoroughly enjoying it. Its like Twilight Imprium lite with a 3 hour playing time instead of 9-14. Building the map as you go is a bit of a twist for new players and one player really didn't like it. The random availability of technology is nice as you can't just setup a plan and execute on it until you encounter another player as you can sometimes with TI.

SPECIAL BEAM CANNON
    Tuconots
    Eclipse is one of my favorite games but one of the players in my group absolutely hates it and I don't ever want us to pick a game to play that one of us hates so it's off the table. He's got Twilight Imperium on lock and would play that but I don't know what the fuck I'm doing with that one.

I will be a very sad panda when no one is willing to play Age of Empires with me anymore.

Banned
    Tuconots
    I know it's not a board game but I am printing out my first set of Cards Against Humanity. We are going to play it Christmas Eve.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge Burner View Post
    I know it's not a board game but I am printing out my first set of Cards Against Humanity. We are going to play it Christmas Eve.
    The printed version is okay but its well worth the few bucks to buy the real thing just for the quality of the cards and the ease of shuffling.

Banned
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by kareal View Post
    The printed version is okay but its well worth the few bucks to buy the real thing just for the quality of the cards and the ease of shuffling.
    I bought some good card stock at least.

http://www.amazon.com/Cards-Against-...dp/B004S8F7QM/ <-- I really don't think paying over $50 plus shipping for something I can print to see if I like is the way to go

Tuconots
    Talisman is something I go back to regularly but the potential open-endedness of it may turn you off (that is, it's possible to simply never complete the game and just run around the board fighting monsters and other players). There's also plenty of luck involved (die rolls).

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...-third-edition

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaclav View Post
    Arkham Horror (seriously not one mention yet guys? for shame on all of you!)
    As already mentioned, Arkham Horror is not a '60 minute' game. That said, if you and your friends are Lovecraft nerds of any stripe, or like games that allow you to build a narrative/story out of what's going on, it's a good game. Best bet is to play it with one other person first, and walk thru a handful of turns and understand the rules. Fantasy Flight games are, by a rule, kind of "fiddly" in terms of complexity. But if at least one person really understands the rules & the turn order, the game can clock in at under 4 hours pretty consistently.

But if you aren't big lovecraft nerds, i'd stay the hell away. For a pretty fast/easy board game, Memoir '44 is awesome. There is also (if you're sufficiently interested in Game of Thrones) a Game of Thrones version of the game as well. Downside is it's a 2-player only game.

Oh, and Wings of War is a nice game with a ruleset that can vary from 'easy to play while drunk' to 'complex tactical air battle'. See also the Xwing/Tie-Fighter board game that just came out, uses a similar mechanic/ruleset.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge Burner View Post
    I bought some good card stock at least.

http://www.amazon.com/Cards-Against-...dp/B004S8F7QM/ <-- I really don't think paying over $50 plus shipping for something I can print to see if I like is the way to go
    When the actual CAH guys have it in stock, its $25. The other people selling it are resellers. The last few printings have sold out very fast though. If you follow them on twitter, the tend to tweet when its back in stock.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlery View Post
    I picked up a couple copies + all the expansions
    You must be incredibly well off financially IRL to just go ahead and 'pick up all the expansions'. That's a minimum of like $5,000.

Tuconots
    "a few years ago"

Tuconots
    Roughly 4-5 years ago I bought a still shrink-wrapped copy of Heroquest for $130 on Ebay and I started looking to buy the expansions. I stopped tallying it up after it went over $5k and I wasn't even done finding all of them. Not saying someone couldn't just buy them all regardless, but to have that kind of disposable money to just throw at this old board game is pretty absurd imo.

Tuconots
    Must be, I guess. Cell phone pretty shitty this morning for some reason, but you get the idea.

And no, it didn't cost anywhere near 5k.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuconots
    damn, wish I would have kept my copy of hero quest and the two or three expansions I owned...

Tuconots
    My asshole dad cleaned everything outta my room after he kicked me out. Fucking dickbag. That shit cost a lot of money to replace.

Tuconots
    I'm officially jealous as fuck.

I guess I was probably looking at more 'mint' copies of things, but like I think just the Elf Solo Exp. was like $750 by itself.

Tuconots
    The barbarian and elf packs were definitely more expensive, but I just trolled ebay for a couple months looking for auctions that didn't get run up. It was in the same time frame you were looking at shit too, I know I hadn't moved yet, and that was 3 years ago.

There's barbarian, elf, American witch lord and Kellars keep, then one Euro witch lord and 2 euro kellar's keep up there. And I have always liked to have the extra pieces (because kids lose everything), so I bought 2. I didn't bother with any of the euro only packs because they're not what I grew up with and I don't care (ogre pack? Something else, too, I don't remember).

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Angerz View Post
    When the actual CAH guys have it in stock, its $25. The other people selling it are resellers. The last few printings have sold out very fast though. If you follow them on twitter, the tend to tweet when its back in stock.
    They'll also send you emails. The last two times it went in stock I was able to buy it even the next few days after I got the email. That said, now that I have the base game+both expansions+the holiday pack I'm looking for some kind of case to carry them all together. If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Registered User Astral Projection's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Some good lightweight family/party games that even non-gamers could enjoy:

Wits and Wagers: Combines poker betting with trivia. You don't have to know the correct answer though, just guess who at the table was closest.

Bang!: Old-west card game where each player takes a the role of either Sheriff, Outlaw, Deputy, or Renegade. All roles are hidden except the Sheriff. Winning depends on your role: Sheriff and Deputy must kill all Outlaws and Renegade, Outlaws just have to kill the Sheriff, the Renegade must be last man standing.

Ticket To Ride: Goal is basically to build the longest train rails. Real simple rules but lots of strategy and player interaction.

Last edited by Astral Projection; 12-20-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Tuconots
    Agricola is the best board game ever created.

Tuconots
    I saw a "The Walking Dead" board game when I was out XMAS shopping. It raised me eyebrows. It might even have hardcore PvP for you.
    DoTA 2 / Dark Souls 3 / Lurking P99 / D3 Profile

Waiting for Shadow Bane Emu to finish

Tuconots
    If you like card games, an easy one that is tons of fun is Zombie Flux.

http://www.amazon.com/Looney-Labs-03.../dp/1929780664

2-6 players, quick 30 minute games. The conditions to winning the game change as you draw cards. Its a fun, goofy game. Description in spoilers:

Spoiler: 
    Trying to describe gameplay is difficult since one of the fun elements of the game is that the winning conditions (Goal) are unknown before the game starts. Not only this, but the rules of the game change as New Rule cards are played.

To begin, each player is dealt three cards. If a player receives a Creeper card, zombies in this variant, the zombie is immediately laid down and another card drawn to replace it.

The Basic Rules card is laid down. That card tells the players to draw a card and play a card. Any one of the cards the player has in hand can be played. Those playable cards belong to one of four types:

GOAL cards, when played, will determine the winning conditions for the game. Playing a new Goal card will eliminate the previous goal (in most cases, depending on new rules currently in force). A special Ungoal card even makes it possible for the zombies to win and all the players lose.

KEEPER cards are used to satisfy the Goal card's winning conditions. For instance, if the Goal is to have the car and the shotgun Keeper cards and a player has played those cards, that player wins.

ACTION cards tell the player to perform a particular action, such as steal a Keeper from another player or discard a hand and draw a new one.

NEW RULE cards modify how the game is played. A rule might now be to draw three cards or to groan whenever a zombie is drawn. A rule of a particular type overrules a previously played rule of the same type, the older rule being discarded. Rules can stack up (though Action cards exist to remove rules).

The Creeper cards, zombies in this case, also have their own rules. The zombies come in singles, pairs, trios, and quartets.

The constant shifting of the rules and goals makes for insane game play. Add in the "anti-Keeper" Creeper cards and this version of Fluxx is even nuttier than the original.

PROS:

* No round of this game ever plays the same twice.

* Game length varies due to the combined effects of New Rule and Goal cards.

* Utterly unique gameplay makes the game fresh for seasoned card players.

* The frantic nature of play with changing rules and goals makes for some real nailbiting.

* One of the best games out there for severely sticking it to other players.

* The humorous illustrations on the cards and the sheer inanity of some of the goals, rules, and actions keeps people laughing--or groaning.

* Fluxx expansion packs will work with Zombie Fluxx, too. (Though Zombie Fluxx has color illustrations on the card fronts, while the other Fluxx card images are B&W line drawings.

* Simple enough for kids ages 8 and up.

* Dude, it's got zombies!

CONS:

* Though definite strategies exist to play for a winning hand, they are all too easily undone by some of the Action cards and Goal changes, making the game a little too random for some players.

* The cards, though sturdy, could still use a linen finish (although this would make them look different from older expansion pack sets.)

* Should the rules pile up (more than five or six), people often forget to abide by all of them. This is especially true of younger players.

* Despite simple gameplay, the complexity of variations of rules, actions, and goals can bewilder players unfamiliar with the game (though repeated play will break them in quickly). Many of the cards have explanatory text that should be read to all players or else they will not follow what is going on, especially if unfamiliar with the game.

* Serious card players won't see the sense in a game like this.

Tuconots
    Acquire is my reigning favorite right now. It is a game of building/merging hotels and buying/selling their stock.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5/acquire

Has anyone played the game Pandemic? I watched the Wil Wheaton Tabletop video and it looks pretty fun.
    Draegan's bitch ass sold us out to MMORPG.com

Exodus underway to ReReRolled.org - A Gaming Community

Tuconots
    just remembered Space Alert is a very short and very original game that is cooperative. I would say the drawback for a family setting would be that it's stressful, because it requires on the fly teamplay and good communication in a timed setting (the game is played at the set pace of a CD track and then you make a debriefing phase to see if things went bad or terribly bad). A mitigating factor is that players have no set task, so the less proficient player can simply be left responsible for simpler tasks (which add challenge for the good players). Also the game is pretty modular so you can modify both complexity and difficulty. There is also a scoring system, so you can log how "well" you fared in previous attempts.

Registered User Astral Projection's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by OUAriakas View Post
    Has anyone played the game Pandemic? I watched the Wil Wheaton Tabletop video and it looks pretty fun.
    Yeah it is pretty decent as coop games go. There are lots of ways to tweak the difficulty and it doesn't take too long.

And yes, I agree Space Alert is hard. Especially if you have been drinking and/or smoking.

Tuconots
    Cool, I didn't realize Heroquest was worth anything. Didn't realize anyone else had heard of it either! I played it a lot as a kid, still have it and the expansions in my attic.

Tuconots
    Also on Heroquest a few things:

There is a readily available Torrent with EVERYTHING heroquest available in PDF format to print out, and if you are creative enough, you can effectively have, well, everything Heroquest if you know what I mean.

Also, there is an exact replica of HQ available to play Online and multiplayer but it is in entirely German language. It works really good, and it's pretty cool. I got into it kinda-sorta but I didn't have anyone to play with so I didn't go too far with it, but it's out there.

Tuconots
    anyone played this yet? its one of the few christmas presents I know about 51WOGyIzuML.jpg

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Candiarie View Post
    They'll also send you emails. The last two times it went in stock I was able to buy it even the next few days after I got the email. That said, now that I have the base game+both expansions+the holiday pack I'm looking for some kind of case to carry them all together. If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.
    I just use like a 500 count box that I got from my shop I play magic at. Works perfectly.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by piggvomit View Post
    anyone played this yet? its one of the few christmas presents I know about 51WOGyIzuML.jpg
    I have the first edition version of that but have never played it. I would love to but everything I have read said its really no good until you get 4+ players and its a long game. Just don't have enough friends with enough interest to dedicate a whole evening to one game. I really looks like a great game though.

Tuconots
    Any recommendations that will work as a 2 player game with the wife? Neither of us have a history of playing these types of games, but want to give something a shot.

Tuconots
    I don't get to play much two players games (other than the very occasional war games / miniature games), but a good two player entry point is probably some non-collectible card games, but I don't have one to recommend in particular. To be a little more helpful, I found you a list of games that play well with two players.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    I have the first edition version of that but have never played it. I would love to but everything I have read said its really no good until you get 4+ players and its a long game. Just don't have enough friends with enough interest to dedicate a whole evening to one game. I really looks like a great game though.
    This is my problem, years back I tried using various dating sites to find like minded people to play some of the longer board games but all I got were either gross nerds or gross nerds looking for devil three ways.

Now my current friends are busy with a new born and military stuff.

So any houston area people up for some shorter games like munchkin 1-2 times a week? At least to start then once comfy move into games like descent etc. No homo.

Tuconots
    I will second the Eclipse nod. Easily the best new designer board game I have played.
    elipse-1338864324.jpg

Dominant Species is another favorite at my house:
    dominant-species-board-game.jpg

Other than that you really cannot go wrong with the Battlestar Galactica game, Smallworld, Arkham Horror, and most of the others mentioned. Over Christmas, we will be trying out the Locke and Key card game as well as Legendary, so I will repost and let you deck building fans know how they pan out.
    lockekey_3d_box2.jpg
    legendary-the-marvel-deck-building-game-from-upper-deck-6dhg9ud.jpg

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatorade View Post
    This is my problem, years back I tried using various dating sites to find like minded people to play some of the longer board games but all I got were either gross nerds or gross nerds looking for devil three ways.

Now my current friends are busy with a new born and military stuff.

So any houston area people up for some shorter games like munchkin 1-2 times a week? At least to start then once comfy move into games like descent etc. No homo.
    I tried stuff like that too before. There is a site specifically for finding people to play board games, it isn't boardgamegeek, but another one similar to a 'dating site'. I also tried craigslist and some others. I had a few people interested but I just didn't go through with it in the end, seemed still too creepy for me.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by tarquinn View Post
    I tried stuff like that too before. There is a site specifically for finding people to play board games, it isn't boardgamegeek, but another one similar to a 'dating site'. I also tried craigslist and some others. I had a few people interested but I just didn't go through with it in the end, seemed still too creepy for me.
    Yeah I go to University of Houston and I have tried several Houston area board game groups through Meetup.com and similar group find sites. People are weird though, and I always feel incredibly uncomfortable at all these antisocial people getting together. A RL friend and I managed to cherry pick a good 4 man group that met up every Saturday for awhile.

I've got a decent board game collection but now just primarily play them when we visit family/in-laws.

Tuconots
    I was just looking at meetup and the pictures aren't very inspiring. Then again Steve Jackson looks like those people and he is awesome to game with. May go if the rest of my friend aren't interested in something new.
    Last edited by Hatorade; 12-22-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Tuconots
    Not sure if you guys have seen this, its more a combo of really nice mini's and an interesting 4-6 player monster rush type game. Game play video is limited and there is a 3rd video in the works. Im in it for the miniature monsters and some pinups so if the games any good its a sweet bonus!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-death-monster

Tuconots
    I was looking at it in the nerd store and it looked pretty interesting, but I ended up choosing Arkham Horror over it as a gift because I already knew that was a great game. Interested to hear from anyone who actually plays the game if it is any good.

Tuconots
    I think the second edition of the game fixed this, but in a five player game, it was very possible for lannister to be eliminated in the first turn if the game. Haven't played with 4 players before though, but the house that can kill lanister is unmanned in 4 player. But like I said, I think the second edition fixes this from what the developer told me when I talked to him at gen con.

Tuconots
    I play Starfleet battles and Federation and Empire, both games that are on the high end of the complexity scale. Picture is Federation and Empire.

FANDE.jpg

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowing View Post
    Other than that you really cannot go wrong with the Battlestar Galactica game, Smallworld, Arkham Horror, and most of the others mentioned. Over Christmas, we will be trying out the Locke and Key card game as well as Legendary, so I will repost and let you deck building fans know how they pan out.
    lockekey_3d_box2.jpg
    legendary-the-marvel-deck-building-game-from-upper-deck-6dhg9ud.jpg
    Picked up Legendary a few weeks ago and my friends and I are hooked on it, have played it probably close to 2 dozen times since. Getting a little burnt out, but it's been fun and we'll try some of the inevitable fan variants to hold us over until the expansion comes in August.

It's a deck building game, which I'm usually less than thrilled about but am willing to at least try them.

We're about due to start playing some BSG again, been a while. Legendary is great for 4 players which is usually when we opt to not play BSG and go with Small World, Arkham Horror, or just not hang out at all, heh.

Thought Locke and Key was OK, wasn't a fan of the key effects, seems like a good game just not for me.

Tuconots
    If you like a game that is completely different every time, try out Betrayal at House on the Hill.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x.../betrayalhouse

513Iw7EZ4pL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And if you like Cthulhu try out Arkham Horror.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ed...ite.asp?eidm=6

51XXil0UeeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Registered User Julian the Apostate's Avatar
    Tuconots
    To anyone interested there is currently a 50% off sale where you can pick up Puerto Rico HD and San Juan HD for $2.99 each for your iPad. They are both games that ive wanted to learn how to play but havent had a chance.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/puer...438437326?mt=8
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/san-...513228980?mt=8
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
    Bertrand Russell

Tuconots
    This won't be for everyone, but found both of these videos really interesting/entertaining.

First is a review/overview of Twilight Imperium, as a game plays out the players go into a diary room like you see on so many reality shows, and you have the host explaining things after the fact. Maybe I find it an extra bit entertaining because of the accents

Next is one of those guys talking about the current state/evolution of board games on a really small TV in a conference room. This one drug a little for me, but if you're interested in the topic it's interesting.

Tuconots
    Got Dominion for Xmas, lots and lots of fun. This thread is awesome, gonna have to check out a bunch of stuff.

Tuconots
    Got my roommate Descent 2E and his sister got him Frag. We usually only play Arkham and Cards Against Humanity so I'm curious to see how these work out. It seems like the Descent handbook is written a little bit better than the Arkham one so hopefully we can pick it up faster. Goddamn figuring out Arkham mechanics before we knew about the cheat sheets was a paper-cut inducing bitch. So much flipping through the rulebook.

Tuconots
    Cheat sheets? Do tell!

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by MsBehavn View Post
    Got Dominion for Xmas, lots and lots of fun. This thread is awesome, gonna have to check out a bunch of stuff.
    Dominion isn't a board game, but yeah it's a lot of fun. It's one of precious few of that type of game I can get some of my friends to play.

Tuconots
    I played a game of Spartacus for the first time last night and it was really fun, probably because the gladiator fights were awesome due to crappy/very good dice rolls. A+ will play it again.

Tuconots
    Went to my local comic shop, saw this wall and almost dropped 200.00 bucks before I realized all these games are on amazon for 60-80% less. Makes me sad.

Tuconots
    I have a local game shop with an owner who would much rather compete with online prices than lose sales. I'm sure it'd be the same for any sane intelligent owner. You should ask him, it's always nice to have the convenience of no shipping delay and such.

Thread Information