Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interstellar

Tuconots

Interstellar

Last edited by Fedor; 12-14-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Tuconots
    I think there is a typo: where Christopher Nolan is written, you should read Terrence Malick.

Tuconots
    Chris Nolan director?

Tuconots
    There was supposed to be a trailer before the Hobbit, but my theatre doesn't show trailers before the IMAX3D movies. Should be up on the net tomorrow morning from what I've read.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvarisx View Post
    There was supposed to be a trailer before the Hobbit, but my theatre doesn't show trailers before the IMAX3D movies. Should be up on the net tomorrow morning from what I've read.
    I saw the trailer today before Hobbit. Long voice over of various American milestones (Bell X-1, various space launches, etc) by Woody Harrelson and ends with him and what I think was his kid in the movie watching a rocket launch. I was strangely intrigued.

Tuconots
    Maybe when I see a better version of a trailer. That link in the 1st post didn't do anything for me.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadaar View Post
    I saw the trailer today before Hobbit. Long voice over of various American milestones (Bell X-1, various space launches, etc) by Woody Harrelson and ends with him and what I think was his kid in the movie watching a rocket launch. I was strangely intrigued.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedor View Post
    Well I decided to look up the cast list, I am retarded apparently. For some reason I thought it looked like him.

Tuconots
    Been waiting for this for forever. Originally was supposed to be Spielberg directing which would have been awesome. Now that Nolan took the reigns I'm even more excited. I'm confident this will be my favorite movie of 2014.

Tuconots
    Last edited by Tortfeasor; 12-14-2013 at 03:23 AM.

Tuconots
    there isnt enough here to really take anything away. Is it about a farmer that makes a star trek rocket or something? Fuck if i know

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Furry View Post
    there isnt enough here to really take anything away. Is it about a farmer that makes a star trek rocket or something? Fuck if i know
    Synopsis - "A group of explorers make use of a newly discovered wormhole to surpass the limitations on human space travel and conquer the vast distances involved in an interstellar voyage."

From Wiki - "When a wormhole (which hypothetically connects widely-separated regions of spacetime) is newly discovered, a team of explorers and scientists embark on a voyage through it to transcend previous limitations on human space travel."

This, the cast, and Nolan are enough to make me wish it was November 2014 already.
    Last edited by eVasiege; 12-14-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by eVasiege View Post
    Synopsis - "A group of explorers make use of a newly discovered wormhole to surpass the limitations on human space travel and conquer the vast distances involved in an interstellar voyage."

Tuconots
    we all know what that wormhole is.....

Spoiler: 

Tuconots
    Supposedly Nolan has some egg heads behind the scenes to make sure the science behind it stays true to what we know today. I am looking forward to this.

Tuconots
    the music and the tone of the voice reminded me of this

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Szlia View Post
    I think there is a typo: where Christopher Nolan is written, you should read Terrence Malick.
    A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping over the Earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust... retaliation.

Hollywood is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until everything you love is dead.

Tuconots
    Matthew Mcconaughey is just going for all the awards. All of them.

Tuconots
    This looks good. I agree with the perspective of the trailer. We need to get out there. I hope the Alcubierre(-White?) Drive pans out.

Tuconots

Interstellar

A new flick by Chris Nolan, IMO every thing he touches turns to gold. This could be amazing.

"A group of explorers make use of a newly discovered wormhole to surpass the limitations on human space travel and conquer the vast distances involved in an interstellar voyage."

Film also stars Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Ellen Burstyn, John Lithgow, Michael Caine, Casey Affleck, Wes Bentley, Bill Irwin, Mackenzie Foy, Topher Grace and David Gyasi.

Tuconots
    One year ago I saw that trailer and now I see it again. Christopher Nolan is full of shit man.

Tuconots
    Nov 7th, still a long ways away so won't see real trailers and hype for a while. I am hopeful its pretty epic and different, one of the actors says its the most ambitious things Nolan has ever done and thats pretty insane considering Nolan has done Memento, Inception, and Dark Knight Returns - three of my favorite and unique films. Nolan is also apparently keeping the story really close to the vest, not allowing any leaks.

Matthew McConaughey Calls Christopher Nolan

Tuconots
    Already a thread here Interstellar

Thought there was a new trailer =( bah probably in the summer

Tuconots
    Interception?

Rav Scam-Free Zone
    Tuconots
    Not a lot more

In the future, governments and economies across the globe have collapsed, food is scarce, NASA is no more, and the 20th Century is to blame. A mysterious rip in spacetime opens and it's up to whatever is left of NASA to explore and offer up hope for mankind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Flex View Post
    The lag makes you last longer.

Tuconots
    Nolan is really good at undermining interesting premises with dull characters and unimaginative approaches to scenes that should be remarkable. MACHINE GUNS IN FUCKING DREAM SEQUENCES. Yawn.

Tuconots
    I think you missed the point of Inception. Anyways, I don't expect the official trailer to explain to much when it comes to this as Nolan is pretty much allowed to do whatever he wants now. I am pretty sure the studio is going to be promoting Nolan and McConaughey then relaying on word of mouth / reviews.
    Last edited by Juvarisx; 04-26-2014 at 11:22 PM.

Tuconots
    Oh, it's the old "if you don't like Inception that means you don't understand it" defense. Is the point of Inception to deliver heavy-handed exposition every five minutes?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by supertouch View Post
    Is the point of Inception to deliver heavy-handed exposition every five minutes?
    Is your point to shit on every good movie and love every bad movie? If so, your schtick is fucking old and isn't funny in any way.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by supertouch View Post
    Oh, it's the old "if you don't like Inception that means you don't understand it" defense. Is the point of Inception to deliver heavy-handed exposition every five minutes?
    A heist movie where instead of robbing a bank they are doing something original? Pretty hard to not understand that. By the way if you want heavy handed exposition you should take a harder look at a movie you liked called John Carter. Inception was a story of an old robber trying to go home and dealing with guilt told in a different way, there was not a lot of heavy handedness in it at all.
    Last edited by Juvarisx; 04-27-2014 at 01:42 AM.

Tuconots

Retard Rehabilitation Program
    Tuconots
    I came like the thousand isuper nova

Tuconots
    yep, im seeing this.

Tuconots
    Oh look, another movie with a blatant left-wing liberal agenda.

Did I do it right?
    PSN: Araxen, Xbox Live: Araxen II, WiiU: Araxen, Steam: Araxen

Tuconots
    YOU GOT ME AGAIN, NOLAN YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Araxen View Post
    Oh look, another movie with a blatant left-wing liberal agenda.

Did I do it right?
    Nope. Not enough faggot.
    One day I hope to be as attractive and well spoken as Tuco!

Tuconots
    This looks very good.

Thanks, Obama.

Tuconots
    this image is awesome (spaceship - the white circular thingie - transiting across wormhole mouth):

"Mankind was born on Earth. It was never meant to die here."

not gonna watch any more trailers though, want to be surprised. definitely a thursday midnight showing for me.

Tuconots
    Holy fuck that looks amazing

Tuconots
    Damn

Sassy Fat Black Woman Agonizing the Bait Master's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Looks pretty boring

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Agonizing the Bait Master View Post
    Looks pretty boring
    Hey the new Hunger Games will be out at around the same time just for you

Tuconots
    I'm interested in seeing this, but so far it looks like they came up with a really stupid reason for the trip to where ever. People on Earth are running out of food, and engineers can't help them? Ridiculous. Water desalination and desert greening. One is an engineering problem, the other is a logistical problem.

Based on the information in the trailer, if they're looking to use a wormhole to find another habitable planet, that's a problem. If they've already discovered another system through that wormhole, the odds of it having a planet with conditions similar to Earth are, quite literally, astronomical. Even if there is a twin to Earth on the other side of that wormhole, you can't save the people on Earth. They're fucked.

Matthew McConaughey continuously telling his kids that "I'll be back" seems like they're borrowing the same trope from Inception; a man trying to get back to his family.

Looks like it could be good, as long as they toss some lines in there to explain away all the problems with the premise of the story.

Tuconots
    i don't think its that ridiculous to make a scifi "what if..." scenario that in 20 or 40 or whatever years, the Earth will have a really, really tough time feeding its population. desalination has a host of problems including massive energy requirements, transportation logistics, causing an increase in global temperatures, etc.

just in the past 2 years we have seen food costs become huge problems in asia and africa, and even in america its gone up a lot but companies have been forced to "hide" it from consumers. Its been due to droughts in the West and a virus outbreak in pigs, agricultural experts have warned that our animal food stocks are at risk of being wiped out due to our excessive use of antibiotics.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by spronk View Post
    i don't think its that ridiculous to make a scifi "what if..." scenario that in 20 or 40 or whatever years
    I didn't say that making the movie is ridiculous. I said the premise of the movie is ridiculous. Hell, we've had dozens of "world famine" science fiction stories, Soylent Green instantly comes to mind.

the Earth will have a really, really tough time feeding its population.
    In the past when world leaders had a famine, the problem was resolved by killing off people, either through starvation or war. You think this would change? Besides, we produce enough food to feed everybody on the planet right now. More, in fact. The problem is distributing that food to people across the planet before it spoils. That's the hard part.

desalination has a host of problems including massive energy requirements, transportation logistics, causing an increase in global temperatures, etc.
    Build fission plants. That gives you a dense source of clean power that doesn't increase global temps. In desert areas you use solar. Shit, this stuff has been thoroughly researched for the past 60 years. The solutions are out there, they're just really expensive and things haven't gotten bad enough to warrant doing anything. Yet.

just in the past 2 years we have seen food costs become huge problems in asia and africa, and even in america its gone up a lot but companies have been forced to "hide" it from consumers. Its been due to droughts in the West and a virus outbreak in pigs, agricultural experts have warned that our animal food stocks are at risk of being wiped out due to our excessive use of antibiotics.
    Which is why there's a strong push to de-homogenize livestock. Cattle, for example, could be completely replaced by Bison in the Americas.

I noticed that you didn't even touch the subject of moving people off Earth, or moving food from this "other planet" to Earth. Probably because you know it's logistically impossible.

But like I said, if they have a creative way of explaining away all the problems with the premise, I won't care. So far it looks fantastic.
    Last edited by Jarnin; 05-17-2014 at 12:51 AM. Reason: spellingz

Tuconots
    I imagine it has to do with a bunch of colliding issues: Cost of fuel (there are solutions but it will get worse before it gets better), global warming causing massive droughts in the midwest which starts a chain of falling dominoes, decline of the US being a Super Power (notice the "Indian Surveillance Drone" over the midwest?). Yes I am sure its going to be over exaggerated, but I imagine the films focus will not so much be explaining what caused these things, but a possibility of how we in this fictional society dealt with them using today's lines of thinking.

This trailer is clearly just showing the first act of the film and a glimpse of the second and none of the final. The message won't be "This will all come about because of X, Y and Z", it will be in the end we have to look to things that are bigger then ourselves as a species and not as individual nations. Imagine for a second, that these people went into space in our reality and managed interstellar travel. What would that do to everyone's line of thinking as a whole? Look at the 60's space race, it caused a massive technological leap forward and got people dreaming, now all people seem to care about is petty bullshit.

Your example of fusion power is a good one. Why isn't hundreds of billions being poured into it to replace fossil fuel power generation? There is no reason we couldn't achieve this relatively quickly, instead its billions into a military that protects from invisible boogeymen. That is the line of thinking I am referring to (I just used the military as an example, multiple counties should be doing this not just the USA)
    Last edited by Juvarisx; 05-17-2014 at 01:05 AM.

MAKE EARTH EXTINCT AGAIN! Abefroman's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarnin View Post
    . The problem is distributing that food to people across the planet before it spoils. That's the hard part.
    This is 100% wrong.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyashusa View Post
    Nope. Not enough faggot.
    Well no one thought Elysium was gonna be a pile of shit either.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Phoenix View Post
    Well no one thought Elysium was gonna be a pile of shit either.
    Well everyone knew the director was going to weave in message about wealth distribution, noone knew he was going to beat everyone down with it. Also shakeycam, good lord shakey cam. Nolan is a better overall filmmaker then Blomkamp, so I have higher hopes and expectations for this then I did for Elysium. To be fair that movie had some neat ideas, visuals, and world, but good lord that script and camerawork =(

Tuconots
    I predict that Rust will secure new home for humans while all humanity slowly dies off. Rust will return to Earth in the past as an old man for mass migration of humanity to new home, fulfilling promise to his daughter, but dying of old age. Humanity gets to die, then live again via time travel/wormhole. Classic Star Trek: Generations plot device.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Abefroman View Post
    This is 100% wrong.
    Hitchen's Razor, man.

Tuconots
    Hitchen's Razor, man.
    OK fine. Transportation of food and storage is trivial shit now. All that stuff you buy in the super market that you think is fresh, depending on what it is,at least a month to over a year old. That is plenty of time to transport to anywhere on the planet. Do you really think those idaho potatoes you buy in february just got dug up? Those avacadoes, bannanas, tomatoes and a bunch of other fruit are artificially ripened when they are needed. I've personally seen pink lady apples get shipped out after sitting in racks for over a fucking year. Tons of other examples but you should get the point by now.

The problem has always been cost. Not that it's really that expensive to transport this shit compared to anything else. It's nobody gives a flying fuck about those people and would rather just make money. The supplies like rice and shit that do get donated are usually stolen from warlords and other criminals. We could easily feed those people if we really gave a fuck, we dont.

Tuconots
    my dick is so hard for this movie. i dreamed of movie like this. mankind living for something bigger than they are in the midst of complete despair. cosmos should take note and hire Nolan instead of Seth MacFarlane.

Tuconots
    OK fine. Transportation of food and storage is trivial shit now. All that stuff you buy in the super market that you think is fresh, depending on what it is,at least a month to over a year old. That is plenty of time to transport to anywhere on the planet. Do you really think those idaho potatoes you buy in february just got dug up? Those avacadoes, bannanas, tomatoes and a bunch of other fruit are artificially ripened when they are needed. I've personally seen pink lady apples get shipped out after sitting in racks for over a fucking year. Tons of other examples but you should get the point by now.

The problem has always been cost. Not that it's really that expensive to transport this shit compared to anything else. It's nobody gives a flying fuck about those people and would rather just make money. The supplies like rice and shit that do get donated are usually stolen from warlords and other criminals. We could easily feed those people if we really gave a fuck, we dont.
    Really? How do you get stuff to the interior of Africa, or the northern part of India? It's not like they have highways and rail to everywhere in the third world, and not every city is sitting on the ocean or waterways. Remember, we're talking about world hunger here, not just in first world countries.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain how the discovery of another Earth-like planet would help any of this. How do you propose getting people to this new planet, or getting food from this planet back to Earth? It's logistically impossible. Even if you had rockets blasting off every 5 minutes you couldn't possibly move enough people or enough food from one planet to another to make the effort worth while. Either way, the people on Earth are fucked. The colonists on this new planet might turn out OK, so that "saves the human race", but talk about a downer.

Tuconots
    Cool to see this is coming out sooner rather than later. They showed a teaser trailer before Godzilla the other day and it was the first I had heard of the movie. But the trailer ended with "Coming a year from now". Guess it's an old teaser?

Tuconots
    Really? How do you get stuff to the interior of Africa, or the northern part of India? It's not like they have highways and rail to everywhere in the third world, and not every city is sitting on the ocean or waterways. Remember, we're talking about world hunger here, not just in first world countries.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain how the discovery of another Earth-like planet would help any of this. How do you propose getting people to this new planet, or getting food from this planet back to Earth? It's logistically impossible. Even if you had rockets blasting off every 5 minutes you couldn't possibly move enough people or enough food from one planet to another to make the effort worth while. Either way, the people on Earth are fucked. The colonists on this new planet might turn out OK, so that "saves the human race", but talk about a downer.
    Your completly missing the point. It's not about saving you, it's about saving the human race. Jfc you must hate sci-fi.

Tuconots
    I take it you didn't read the last sentence of mine that you quoted? And no, I don't hate science fiction. I hate shit that masquerades as science fiction. But like I said, this looks like it could be good, if they can explain the problems with the premise.

EDIT: Just found a copy of the original script over at Reddit. This is from 2008, so it's probably been changed a bit.
    Last edited by Jarnin; 05-17-2014 at 03:51 AM.

Tuconots
    I take it you didn't read the last sentence of mine that you quoted? And no, I don't hate science fiction. I hate shit that masquerades as science fiction. But like I said, this looks like it could be good, if they can explain the problems with the premise.

EDIT: Just found a copy of the original script over at Reddit. This is from 2008, so it's probably been changed a bit.
    Yes I read the last sentence after you just spent a paragraph poo pooing the premise. I'm curious why it's logistically impossible when you don't even understand the logistics of transportation and food storage of this planet?

Tuconots
    I must be missing something because this looks massively disappointing.
    Calling me a Cunt is a lot like calling Hitler a Nazi, it's not exactly received as the insult you were intending.

Star Citizen referral code - [STAR-C3G4-2XMJ]

Tuconots
    I love space exploration movies.

I do sort of agree with Jarnin though, if all we know about the premise is that Earth is kinda okay but climate change and overpopulation mean a starving population then finding a new planet won't really solve it until we have a stupidly economical transportation system to go with our inability to produce food.

Now, all the movie would have to say is that in addition to us not being able to sustain food production for the planet, our planet's habitability is going to diminish rapidly in the next few generations. Then the premise is perfect. A guy who doesn't really 'have' to leave his family but chooses to to save his descendents.

Tuconots
    Nolan has never been known for a solid premise. It's about the bigger picture.

Registered Vombatus Ursinus Wombat's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Bleh, I made the mistake of skimming through that script (and stopped even doing that after I saw verbatim chunks of dialogue from the second trailer), but the script makes the movie situation (apparently) clearer: this isn't the start of the downslide, this is decades after the low point (apparently famines due to crop plagues - the burnt croplands aren't "GLOBAL WARMING", they're preventative measures against a crop disease spreading).

And yeah, that trailer is just the first 45-60 minutes of the movie. For someone who's had a steady diet of Bear, Benford, etc., the rest doesn't seem particularly novel, but I still want to see it given a big budget treatment.

Tuconots
    I just finished reading the script from 2008. Pretty much everything in the new trailer is in there, but there are obvious character changes. The trailer ends at them going into the wormhole, which is about 25-30 minutes into the film, I figure.

Potential Spoilers
    Spoiler: 

My issues with the premise were based on the assumption that it took place in the very-near future. It doesn't. It starts some time in the near future, with the formation of a wormhole near Saturn, then jumps ahead 50 years, to about 2060 or 2070. In a nut shell:
    • Some time around 2035 the U.S. and China go to war. This wipes out a large percentage of the population (though no mention of nukes being used). As a result, the world economy crashes, resulting in the dissolution of most of the world's governments. States become independent and return to a mostly agrarian lifestyle, with schooling and education becoming less important.
    • There is a plague called "the blight" wiping out crops across the planet. Corn and some others seem to be resilient, but it's causing a world-wide famine that is threatening to wipe out most life on Earth.

That seems to solve most of the issues I had with it with their motives for leaving Earth. The rest, which you're all free to read, explains the ideas for an off-world colony and such through the circumstances they encounter; namely a lot of fucking with time, and aliens.

If Disney is still thinking about making a remake of The Black Hole, they better stop. This script had some technical issues, but it hit all the right spots for me. Lots of Inception-like fucking with time. Descriptions of FX shots I really want to see, and characters I was interested in. Of course the movie has probably a lot of differences, particularly after they go through the wormhole, but now I'm really interested to see how it all turns on out the big screen.

Based on the script, I will be seeing this in a theater.
    Last edited by Jarnin; 05-17-2014 at 08:36 AM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
    I love space exploration movies.

I do sort of agree with Jarnin though, if all we know about the premise is that Earth is kinda okay but climate change and overpopulation mean a starving population then finding a new planet won't really solve it until we have a stupidly economical transportation system to go with our inability to produce food.

Now, all the movie would have to say is that in addition to us not being able to sustain food production for the planet, our planet's habitability is going to diminish rapidly in the next few generations. Then the premise is perfect. A guy who doesn't really 'have' to leave his family but chooses to to save his descendents.
    Yea... the fact that the movie basically relies 100% on some sci-fi deus ex machina kind of bums me a bit about this one. There's absolutely no plausible resolution from a single scouting ship traveling through a wormhole that involves the characters driving the story. I'm sure it will be all spacey-wondery-exciting joyride like Nolan normally does, but it's not like they are packing up a colony ship or something behind them to avoid extinction to add urgency. It's basically 'well fuck, maybe God's in the hole or something, we should go look?'

There either A) has to be a miracle planet with some super amazing earth-agreeable super plant, B) an alien race or C) suspenseful but ultimately fruitless voyage ending with vague hope in a cliffhanger ending that will be discussed forever 'ERMAGERD DID THE TOP-LIKE SPACE SHIP REALLY STOP OR DID IT FIND THE RIGHT PLANET THROUGH THE OTHER WORMHOLE???'

WAIT WAIT! I've got it.

Crazy shit will go down with aliens or whatever, and the crew will figure out a way they can save the Earth. But right before they do, they find some time machine, so Matty boy decides he'd rather go back to die in the past with his kids and leave it to the other people to finish the job and save themselves. Then the last scene is him coming home and crying and 'everything will be just fine for you... i've seen it' and then the top will almost stop spinning on the coffee table. BAM.
    Last edited by Palum; 05-17-2014 at 08:43 AM.

Tuconots
    Use wormhole, meet aliens, kill and consume them. Famine solved.

Kaige#1128 - Battle.net
    Kaige - Steam

Tuconots
    ya'll are a bunch of jaded motherfuckers

its space - THE FINAL FRONTIER. maybe they will meet worf

Tuconots
    If any of you have the time I highly recommend the Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson. I can't think of better books that talks about colonization in such great detail and scope.

Tuconots
    Yeah, those books were sweet, probably the best sci-fi series I've ever read, but they might turn you into a commie.
    Calling me a Cunt is a lot like calling Hitler a Nazi, it's not exactly received as the insult you were intending.

Tuconots
    If any of you have the time I highly recommend the Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson. I can't think of better books that talks about colonization in such great detail and scope.
    Awesome series! The "Science in the Capital" series was pretty good too.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Palum View Post
    Yea... the fact that the movie basically relies 100% on some sci-fi deus ex machina kind of bums me a bit about this one. There's absolutely no plausible resolution from a single scouting ship traveling through a wormhole that involves the characters driving the story. I'm sure it will be all spacey-wondery-exciting joyride like Nolan normally does, but it's not like they are packing up a colony ship or something behind them to avoid extinction to add urgency. It's basically 'well fuck, maybe God's in the hole or something, we should go look?'

There either A) has to be a miracle planet with some super amazing earth-agreeable super plant, B) an alien race or C) suspenseful but ultimately fruitless voyage ending with vague hope in a cliffhanger ending that will be discussed forever 'ERMAGERD DID THE TOP-LIKE SPACE SHIP REALLY STOP OR DID IT FIND THE RIGHT PLANET THROUGH THE OTHER WORMHOLE???'

WAIT WAIT! I've got it.

Crazy shit will go down with aliens or whatever, and the crew will figure out a way they can save the Earth. But right before they do, they find some time machine, so Matty boy decides he'd rather go back to die in the past with his kids and leave it to the other people to finish the job and save themselves. Then the last scene is him coming home and crying and 'everything will be just fine for you... i've seen it' and then the top will almost stop spinning on the coffee table. BAM.
    The Red Wing.

Future generations of Earth go into the past to harvest the resources of past timelines.

Tuconots
    Looks like a really good alcubierre drive rendition! God I hope this is a hard sci-fi movie, we're long overdue.

Tuconots
    This movie is right in my wheelhouse. Hollywood has come up short in the Sci-Fi department quite a few times recently, but I don't care. As long as they keep trying, I'll keep paying until they get it right. Sci-Fi is Best-Fi.

Tuconots
    Honestly I'd be fine with Contact 2 with a spaceship and changes on earth from the alien encounter instead of gov't conspiracy shit.

Tuconots
    That's actually the second cool rendition of a warp jump today. Elite: Dangerous uses a similar concept with their warp jump, but theirs is optimized for the oculus rift experience from the getgo:

Tuconots
    Dat soundtrack. Chills. Still confident this will be my favorite movie of 2014 and probably 2nd favorite Nolan movie, next to The Prestige.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Palum View Post
    Honestly I'd be fine with Contact 2 with a spaceship and changes on earth from the alien encounter instead of gov't conspiracy shit.
    Did you read the book?

In the Panhandle waiting for death by Tornado.
    Tuconots
    Was there significant differences in the book version of Contact?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Chanur View Post
    I don't think so, as far as I remember the book also ended with her discovering the 'message from god' in the digits of pi.

Tuconots
    Very much looking forward to this one.

Tuconots
    The Red Wing.

Future generations of Earth go into the past to harvest the resources of past timelines.
    So basically the TV show Terra Nova? ;P

I would be thrilled if the "world is fucked" thing ends up being the same mechanism that caused the Permian-Triassic extinction. The world got REALLY fucking hot during that time period...I'm talking Death Valley in summer hot.

Tuconots
    It's been about 15 years since I read Contact, but yes, there are some differences. There wasn't as much of the "science vs. religion" trope in the book. It was there, but it wasn't a primary focus. Ellie didn't go on the trip through the wormhole by herself; there were four other people that made up an international team. I seem to remember the location where the team ended up as being described similarly to the beach Ellie ended up on in the movie. Ellie meets her alien dad, but everybody else on the team meet similar aliens masquerading as loved ones too. When they got back to Earth there was still the accusations of a conspiracy by the team, and they still ask the world to believe them through the "leap of faith" argument. It continues past what you see in the movie, to Ellie calculating pi until she starts seeing structure in the numbers, thus giving her proof that the trip really did take place.

I wasn't a big fan of the movie ending. It seemed like a cop-out to me to cater to the religious folks. The book's ending at least informed the reader that what happened wasn't just a dream sequence.

Tuconots
    I thought the "14 hours of static" recording in the movie meant it wasn't a dream?
    One day I hope to be as attractive and well spoken as Tuco!

Sucks at being a grammer Nazi. etchazz's Avatar
    Tuconots
    inception sucked. the dark knight trilogy sucked. this however looks promising. could it possibly be up there with 2001? doubtful, but hopeful!

Tuconots
    im gonna post a retarded opinion nobody shares and fail to capitalize any letters. itll be brilliant.

Tuconots
    I'd say they one major difference was that in the book there were several representatives from Earth that went on the alien-roller-coaster-ride, where the movie just had Jodie Foster. Made the "did it really happen?" ending a lot different in the book but overall didn't change much of what Sagan what trying to convey.

Tuconots
    Wow. I don't know how I feel about the script from 2008; there is a lot in there. I can say its equal parts ambitious and filled with awe in ways that haven't made it to the big screen in the modern era.

Tuconots
    It will be nice if Nolan won't delegate so much work to 2nd team like he did in TDKR with CIA / Pavel scene, Catwoman / Talia scenes (Marion Cotillard acted so bad it was funny because she's not a bad actress as you can check in Public Enemies' last scene). It will also be better if he manages to keep his brother at bay, production wise, like he did with Inception.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    It will be nice if Nolan won't delegate so much work to 2nd team like he did in TDKR with CIA / Pavel scene, Catwoman / Talia scenes (Marion Cotillard acted so bad it was funny because she's not a bad actress as you can check in Public Enemies' last scene). It will also be better if he manages to keep his brother at bay, production wise, like he did with Inception.
    His best movies are always carried by very good actors at any rate, and McConaughey falls into this group so I expect the same here

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvarisx View Post
    His best movies are always carried by very good actors at any rate, and McConaughey falls into this group so I expect the same here
    I'm gonna agree with you since McCon is on a roll since 2011 (Lincoln Lawyer, Killer Joe, Magic Mike, Mud, Dallas Buyers Club, Wolf of Wall Street, True Detective, etc). Yeah, and True Detective again. Harrelson was pretty good, McCon was just awesome in every. Fucking. Scene. We're still talking about scenes, right ? True Detective episode 4 track shot probably got him the Oscar. That fucking tension on his face during 4 minutes, from shooting some fuck, dwelling in projects and end jumping in the car. I don't know if it's because of the accent, but he felt so genuine in TD. So fucking genuine.

Tuconots
    If that leaked script is anywhere close to accurate it could be fantastic if done well.

Tuconots
    had a few before reading that script, but it seems ridiculously ambitious and would probably be over 3 hours long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny49 View Post
    also chocolate release the same chemical in the brain that the feeling of love does, so i am training them to love giving me blowjobs
    Draegan's a faggot.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinsic View Post
    had a few before reading that script, but it seems ridiculously ambitious and would probably be over 3 hours long.
    Nah. It's 153 pages, and a page usually clocks in at about 1 minute of movie. A lot of that script is describing visuals, and those take a lot longer to describe than to show on screen.

Tuconots
    4 more months until the best movie.

Tuconots
    New poster images are pretty interesting... that's looking more like a wormhole than an alcubierre drive envelope. God I'm so stoked for this movie I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment. Can't help it though, as far as I'm concerned we should reinstate slavery and stripmine the amazon until we have a couple space elevators working.

jJPlktY.jpg

Tuconots
    Maybe the 3rd Batman movie wasn't what it should have been, but Ledger's death had a big hand in that. Nolan though really hasn't let me down yet and again everything looks amazing.

Tuconots
    Forsakyn 100 Rogue
    League of Legends Meta Source

Xbox, PSN, Steam, Origin - Xexx01

Tuconots

Thread Information