Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fallout 4 - Releasing Nov 10th! - Spoilers Free!

Tuconots

Fallout 4 - Releasing Nov 10th! - Spoilers Free!

Spoiler rules:
    1. All quest (subquest, companion, main quest etc) must be in a spoiler without exception.
    2. All character build, combat etc. discussion can be outside a spoiler unless it impacts #1. (Ex: How do you kill aliens?).
    3. Locational information can be outside a spoiler unless it impacts #1.

Thread will become all spoilers allowed after one month.

Bethsoft.com

Let the countdown begin...

Rumors are saying this is the countdown meter. Either way we need a fallout thread.

Game Info:
    Six things I wish Id known before starting Fallout 4 - PC Gamer
    PSA: There is an unlimited, renewable source of home-grown adhesive. : fo4
    Fallout 4 Tips Everyone Should Know : fo4

Ini Tweaks:
    Unlock Frame Rate, Change FOV, Skip Intro Video, Unlock Console, 21:9 Support and Remove Mouse Smoothing + Other Fixes

Quote Originally Posted by Vorph View Post
    Couple FPS things:

- Turn Shadow Distance to medium. High and ultra are absurdly long range, like 4-6 times are far.

- Turn God Rays to medium. I can't even tell the difference, except that turning them up is a pretty significant FPS hit. IIRC Skyrim had the same problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaclav View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatorade View Post
    How do I remove the dog or any companion for that matter, I want to solo this shit.
    Talk to it, Dismiss.
    Last edited by brekk; 11-17-2015 at 10:41 PM.

Banned
    Tuconots
    That's definitely a countdown to a fallout announcement. No doubt about it.

Tuconots
    Were those rumors of Fallout 4 being set in Boston ever completely debunked?

Tuconots
    I will throw my money at them.

Sounds like Morse code.

Tuconots
    26 days, is you fucking serious
    an understated ensemble that puts the "b" in subtle

Tuconots
    hey I know morse co... eh I'll let someone else do it...

But yeah a month before an anouncement? who cares.

edit: 11-12-13 I think. fuck these guys that was two days ago.
    Last edited by Tuco; 11-15-2013 at 01:43 AM.

Tuconots
    yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

Under IRS Audit
    Tuconots
    Should we just shoot up this opiate or wait till all the DLC are out and then overdose on the biggest deluge of gaming bliss all at once?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Breakarms View Post
    Should we just shoot up this opiate or wait till all the DLC are out and then overdose on the biggest deluge of gaming bliss all at once?
    Dude there is no way in 7 hells I could resist waiting for DLCs. I'd stay up and DL the instant it was out.

Tuconots
    If they can make the kind of jump they did between Fallout 3 and 4 as they did between Oblivion and Skyrim I'll be thrilled.

No Pants Dance
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
    hey I know morse co... eh I'll let someone else do it...

But yeah a month before an anouncement? who cares.

edit: 11-12-13 I think. fuck these guys that was two days ago.
    In the way that the US tracks time, yes. Month/Day/Year. Many other countries do Day/Month/Year, I believe? So who knows.

If this is Fallout 4 or Fallout Boston or just fucking Fallout ANYTHING, I will be so happy.

Under IRS Audit
    Tuconots
    They've had 2 years now to improve the engine even more and have seemingly been waiting for the next-gen consoles. I'm thinking at least as big of a jump, tempered only because I think FO3 was already a nice improvement over Oblivion in a number of ways.

Under IRS Audit
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Regime View Post
    Dude there is no way in 7 hells I could resist waiting for DLCs. I'd stay up and DL the instant it was out.
    I know, me either. I'll probably take a few days off and just veg out.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    Skyrim-with-guns without DLCs? Sure.

Skyrim-with-guns without mods to fix all the broken shit that will still be broken 2 years later? No thank you.

Registered Vombatus Ursinus Wombat's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Sure smells like a cinematic at the VGAs.

As the game I was most bummed to not have an appearance at E3, about time.

I sure hope it is next gen only.

No Pants Dance
    Tuconots
    Why would anyone play a Fallout/Elder Scrolls game on a console? The modding communities for these games are always incredible. Heck, for Skyrim alone, there are several mods that add as much material as a DLC... and they are free. Not to mention all of the bug fixes/customization/etc you can do with mods.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Rime View Post
    Why would anyone play a Fallout/Elder Scrolls game on a console? The modding communities for these games are always incredible. Heck, for Skyrim alone, there are several mods that add as much material as a DLC... and they are free. Not to mention all of the bug fixes/customization/etc you can do with mods.
    Because we are not all elitist anal pricks.

Also I have a massive hard on for Fallout and will play it on whatever it is released on first.

Tuconots
    I didn't say I wanted it on a console, I meant that I hope it is designed around systems with at least 5 GB of memory and decent graphics, and not designed for something that will be (at that point) a decade old.

Hell, just for bug fixes alone you should be playing on PC.

Tuconots
    I agree wholeheartedly about the PC stuff.

But Grumpus, were not all elitists. I'm usually the one reading GTAV, Final Fantasy, Xenoblade threads saying AWW FUCK. But in some cases us PC folk are right.

Tuconots
    I really hope they caught that little thing on Reddit awhile ago.

Someone suggested that Fallout 4 should start the first couple hours in the 1950's before the nukes go off. Then you wake up from cryo sleep in a vault. Starting the game in a "Leave It To Beaver" type world and then going to post apocalyptic would be magical.

Tuconots
    As long as it starts with Ron Perlman saying "War. War never changes." I'll be happy with just about anything.

Or god forbid, a reboot of Fallout 1. I might just die with a nerdgasm.

Tuconots
    Bah, just realized that 2299 puts it at only 21 years after F3 / 18 years after FNV.

Was hoping for a different era - honestly, bouncing between super sci-fi MIT and the Wasteland (as rumored) might not be such a terrible idea.

Tuconots
    A reboot of fallout1 seems like it'd be pretty lame. Especially since the starting plots of fallout1 and 3 are so similar (You're a vault member sent off to find shit in a dubious manner).

Tuconots
    You shut your whore mouth.

But yeah, why reboot when the new stories are just as good. Not to mention "you can't win" by rebooting a classic. Too many complainers.

Tuconots
    It should defiantly have a car or some sort of vehicle in it so that Mad Max doesn't outshine them.

Tuconots
    Borderlands did it.

Tuconots
    Needs Chris Avellone.
    Yes, we are the Society for the Protection of Loli Dwarves!

Tuconots
    I'd like to see them go back to Fallout 1 just to get them to do the tactical style instead of FPS style. I doubt that will happen.

Tuconots
    It's fake

xamphear comments on Bethesda registers new domain. The entire thing is sprawling with references to Fallout 4.
    Domain name resolves to 5.133.13.121 which has a reverse lookup of d13121.vibiznes.pl and that's some hosting company in Poland.

Does Bethesda use random Polish hosting companies? See: Hosting, tanie serwery WWW | ViBiznes PaweĊ‚ Jarosz

Edit: The source of the hoax being in Poland would explain the D/M/Y formatting of the morse code. Whoever rigged this thing up probably didn't even think to convert to M/D/Y which is the style of date an American person/company would use.

NeoGAF - View Single Post - Polish place registers a new domain, reddit speculates it's a Fallout 4 reveal
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpokapow
    Different registrar than their other domains. Hosted in Poland. Doesn't use Zenimax nameservers. Euro date even though they're a US company.

Where exactly is the proof Bethesda registered this? Please don't post domain registration rumours unless you are equipped to evaluate, technically, whether the rumours are likely to be true.

Not My Real Name
    Tuconots
    pic very related:

King of the potato people Derpa's Avatar
    Tuconots
    So another game I can watch Beth cock up in many ways?

Tuconots
    Its probably FOO, outsourced - Beth fought for the licensing laws on it, but likely don't have their own internal manpower for it.

(I've got a friend in ZeniMax that is denying either is being worked on their immediately FWIW though, but he could be NDA gagged)

Tuconots
    New Vegas was better than Fallout 3.

If Obsidian was working on another fallout, I'd pop wood. A Bethesda fallout release is half-chub, at best. I'd still buy it and play it... but eh, you know it just won't be as good as Obsidian would make it.

But the whole things is fake anyway apparently.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Iannis View Post
    New Vegas was better than Fallout 3.

If Obsidian was working on another fallout, I'd pop wood. A Bethesda fallout release is half-chub, at best. I'd still buy it and play it... but eh, you know it just won't be as good as Obsidian would make it.

But the whole things is fake anyway apparently.
    I hope so. That shitty fallout mmo idea needs to lay in the wastebasket it came from.

Under IRS Audit
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Regime View Post
    I hope so. That shitty fallout mmo idea needs to lay in the wastebasket it came from.
    EA or Activision will buy Zenimax and we'll have an MMO of every franchise. Count on it!

Tuconots
    Wouldn't mind a fallout MMO if they had no respawn and the whole thing was about seeing how long you could survive in a persistent world, scrounging for ammo, food, water and radx/away.

0 chance of that happening though. It'd just be SW:ToR with mutants.

Tuconots
    I'm pretty sure the execs of the big companies have seen that going for a AAA subscription based MMO is a terrible idea. No one has made the easy money that was anticipated with pretty much every release. Prepare yourselves for Fallout Heroes the new MOBA.
    an understated ensemble that puts the "b" in subtle

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by an accordion View Post
    I'm pretty sure the execs of the big companies have seen that going for a AAA subscription based MMO is a terrible idea. No one has made the easy money that was anticipated with pretty much every release. Prepare yourselves for Fallout Heroes the new MOBA.

Seriously if this happens I'm just going to off myself with a brush gun somewhere along I 15..... Or do that after I take out half the devs In said studio.

Tuconots
    Wouldn't mind a fallout MMO if they had no respawn and the whole thing was about seeing how long you could survive in a persistent world, scrounging for ammo, food, water and radx/away.

0 chance of that happening though. It'd just be SW:ToR with mutants.
    Fallout DayZ? Oh god, yes.

It's interesting with how many Fallout games there are, they are mostly remembered just for the writing, because the SPECIAL never changes. It also doesn't mean that bigger is better, I think I mostly prefer DLCs to the normal wasteland, because they can pull off much more interesting places without having to account for crazy lvl 30 player just shooting everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagdaddy View Post
    Think I'm about done with this thread, I think I'm being trolled at this point.

Tuconots
    Its been years, but it sounded like two separate dates. 12.11.13 and 11.12.13. The 12.11.13 is the first date given then 11.12.13 and then loops.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    Either someone is trolling hard or thesurvivor2299.com is truly somehow connected to Bethesda.

The first screenshot has the Vault-Tech logo and a countdown going. Currently 24 days 13hr 57 min.

Also it appears Bethesda has just filed a patent/trademark for fallout 4

Tuconots
    Finally something to look forward to...

Tuconots

Tuconots
    I hope they deal with more plausible evil shit than they have been. Religion, racism, slavery, and sexism should be hardcore in this environment. Of them only slavery has gotten a limp portrayal. They should also stop being pussies about vehicles. Walking everywhere is tarded.

I'll play it, and I'll enjoy it. The setting is too awesome not to, but if FO3 was a TV show I'd probably change the channel. Man I'd love a good post-apocalyptic program. All we get is garbage like Revolution/Defiance/Fallen Skies.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Agraza View Post
    I hope they deal with more plausible evil shit than they have been. Religion, racism, slavery, and sexism should be hardcore in this environment.
    Yeah, it definitely felt like Bethesda was avoiding the more controversial stuff from the previous games in Fallout 3. While I usually end up playing some goody two-shoes character I like it to be by choice and not because someone was to chicken to put the options in the game.

Tuconots
    Religion was in FO3, was even a small story in a patch (or was it in a DLC?), mostly a nod to the Mushroom Cloud Church in Wasteland tho. Slavery was in both FO3 (kids in Paradise Falls?) and the DLC "The Pit", and neither story was very "light". Racism is in the form of the "normals" vs the ghouls, hell even Galaxy Radio goes on about the racism and slavers.

Personaly I would like to see a Fallout in the "early days" after the nukes, but I doubt that will happen. While I liked FONV, I think the further they move into the The New California Republic times the less interesting it gets. The fun, for me, is to explore the crazy remains of the fallout world, not this "new wild west" thing.

Tuconots
    Hopefully Bethesda has learned a few things from obsidian. Fallout new vegas improved Fallout 3 in nearly every aspect. Racism is kind of relevant in the ghoul/mutant aspect, but I think that overall Fallout has never been about emphasizing the darker aspects of a post apocalyptic world. Rather the fun mutant/50s inspired sci-fi technology aspects. Hopefully we'll see some more from the commonwealth.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Faith View Post
    Religion was in FO3, was even a small story in a patch (or was it in a DLC?), mostly a nod to the Mushroom Cloud Church in Wasteland tho. Slavery was in both FO3 (kids in Paradise Falls?) and the DLC "The Pit", and neither story was very "light". Racism is in the form of the "normals" vs the ghouls, hell even Galaxy Radio goes on about the racism and slavers.
    But if I remember correctly the PC was never really involved. If you look back to FO2 these things impacted the PC more directly. You could side with the slavers and you could even sell your companions as slaves. Or you could take down the organization. Your choice. Short on caps? Go out and kill stuff or make some money from selling drugs or prostitution.

Tuconots
    I'd prefer it if they did it like Witcher: "In the process of doing "good", you fucked up this thing, fucked over that guy and these guys weren't punished."

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaphid View Post
    I'd prefer it if they did it like Witcher: "In the process of doing "good", you fucked every woman you came across"
    FTFY

Tuconots
    Unlikely as long as Fallout is developed in North America

Then again, as long as it's moddable, I'm sure it will happen eventually.

Tuconots
    These awkward convoluted choices in quests never resonated with me. The best moral choices were more subtle and driven by player desire, greed and ambition. Most quest-based moral choices involve choosing a personality for a character (good/evil, typically) and then being offered a good or evil choice in a quest with basically similar rewards. When some guy asks you to blow up a nuclear weapon in megaton it becomes silly because the only reason a player would do that is because they know it's a game and they want to see some shit.

Fallout games work best when you're surviving and moral choices are much more relevant when you need to choose the evil path to survive. Helping a town fight off a horde of invading mutants isn't a good or evil choice, it's just the smart thing to do. But when you're out in the middle of the desert, are irradiated and thirsty and find an undefended hermit with supplies he won't give you the moral choice is clear and compelling.

Tuconots
    every game with a morality slider needs to take a page out of knights of the old republic 2's Krea. she was, by far, the most enlightening character about morality.

"that guy is homeless and poor, what do you do?"
    "i give him some of my money!"
    "WRONG! now he's expecting hand outs and drains the resources of those around him without adding anything back to society!"
    "oh... uh, i don't give him any money..."
    "WRONG! you have abandoned a fellow person in need of help! and you call yourself good..."

Tuconots
    I never liked 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' character choices. Surprising bad outcomes from well intentioned decisions are realistic but they are still annoying and make you not care about the world. Maybe it's just the lawful good in me but I like to enter in a world of shit and travesty and leave it a paradise.

Tuconots
    I never liked 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' character choices. Surprising bad outcomes from well intentioned decisions are realistic but they are still annoying and make you not care about the world. Maybe it's just the lawful good in me but I like to enter in a world of shit and travesty and leave it a paradise.
    As long as my pockets are full of caps and my backpack full of ammo. Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the 50 Cal Sniper Rifle.

Tuconots
    no, i'm with you. i can't NOT play the paragon of virtue and truth. my point is that it's WAY too easy to be good and evil in video games. being evil should result in poeple coming after you, stores not selling to you, quest givers not talking to you. being good should result in being fricking poor. turning down quest rewards because the destitute woman that you just saved from some gang members probably needs those gold coins more than you do. people offer you all kinds of quests, but they take advantage of you because they KNOW you're not going to break their knee caps if they give you an old cloak they have lying around instead of their grandfather's diamond longsword of ethereal vorpal-ness +3.

being evil or good carries no inherent weight in video games. i mean, there was SORT OF weight, like you said, about blowing up megaton, in that the town was gone from that point on... but... so? you were doing your shopping elsewhere at that point in the game. there wasn't really any REAL repercussions of LITERALLY NUKING AN ENTIRE TOWN.

Tuconots
    These awkward convoluted choices in quests never resonated with me. The best moral choices were more subtle and driven by player desire, greed and ambition. Most quest-based moral choices involve choosing a personality for a character (good/evil, typically) and then being offered a good or evil choice in a quest with basically similar rewards. When some guy asks you to blow up a nuclear weapon in megaton it becomes silly because the only reason a player would do that is because they know it's a game and they want to see some shit.

Fallout games work best when you're surviving and moral choices are much more relevant when you need to choose the evil path to survive. Helping a town fight off a horde of invading mutants isn't a good or evil choice, it's just the smart thing to do. But when you're out in the middle of the desert, are irradiated and thirsty and find an undefended hermit with supplies he won't give you the moral choice is clear and compelling.
    Frankly I think "moral" choices are stupid in most games and I'm not a huge fan of any kind of meter for it. Especially in Fallout. There should just be choices that you make or you don't make and it's up to you to determine whether or not you feel there's a morality behind any of them. I think that your actions should have consequences, but the game shouldn't have a "good" or "evil" thing behind them.

Tuconots
    Yeah, those are pretty much the most obnoxious things ever. Damned if you do, damned if you don't only comes off well if they really setup the situation before hand and it's clear that the situation is really bad/fucked up. Surprise Buttsecks is not cool.

Tuconots
    I think the previous Fallout games managed this quite well. The worst offenders are probably KOTOR and Mass Effect since you are encouraged by game mechanics to consistently select good/evil options throughout the game to max out your meter.

Tuconots
    I tend not to like them because they don't generally flow that well. Some games manage to do it very well (Vampire Bloodlines was surprisingly nicely written), but for most narratives it's the same shape of convoluted in a darker color palette.

For example -- It's one of those very few complaints that I have with New Vegas. The Brotherhood were my BROS. Being a wildcard and letting them live wasn't a good choice or an evil choice... those bitches were my high-tech crazy asshole arizona minutemen border patrol that I didn't even have to pay. Gotta keep those fucking undesirables out if you're gonna run any sort of self-respecting wasteland empire. And those brotherhood freaks, they'd do it for FREE! But really, the "right" choice was to blow up the brotherhood bunker. Why? Those dudes know the score.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Asherah View Post
    I think the previous Fallout games managed this quite well. The worst offenders are probably KOTOR and Mass Effect since you are encouraged by game mechanics to consistently select good/evil options throughout the game to max out your meter.
    Yeah, the good/evil meters really railroad the fuck out of you.

DA2's was way better with its choices being more about molding Hawke's personality. It actually changed the tone of his regular dialogue. You could make him more Benevolent, or Aggressive, or Snarky, etc, and it wasn't about good/evil at all. Some options were only available if you were really consistent in your choices, but it wasn't really about being a goody two-shoes or a jerk and you could really mix the different types together often.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Asherah View Post
    the entire root of the problem with morality in games is that it is SOOOO hard to do it well. functionally, how you play a game SHOULD fundamentally change based on your morality. i mean, even more nuanced is character background. a good cop is going to handle a woman being assaulted VERY differently than how a good thug handles it. but not everyone wants to play as a good cop character and not everyone wants to play as a good thug character. not everyone even wants to play as a good character. but unless there are actual repercussions of these choices, then who cares? it is fundamentally immersion breaking to be a good thug, kill the would-be attackers, rescue the woman and never hear anything about the situation again.

you kill the thugs, then your crew pulls you aside and is like, brosef, you killed rival gangmembers for a woman you don't even know. what are you doing? then the rival gang members come to collect your head and your own gang is like, naw dude, take him. we're not starting a war over this fool.

on one hand it's cool to have all these events that happen based on your choices, but on the other hang that is a LOAD of resources that are being used to create these "morality based events and repercussions." there's only a limited amount of time and resources that can be used and most people are going to focus on the stuff that the most people see.

point is, either go full bore with morality and have it be a focal point of the game, weaving in and out of the main story. or leave it out.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by j00t View Post
    point is, either go full bore with morality and have it be a focal point of the game, weaving in and out of the main story. or leave it out.
    There just shouldn't be "morality meters" that you work towards filling up. Games should record your actions and build up consequences towards them. If you keep acting like a dick, people should treat you accordingly. If you're mostly doing good shit then people should note that, but if you mix in random acts of crazy with that people should treat you like a bipolar weirdo. Likewise, if you do only good shit in front of people, but are silently murdering people out of the public eye then people shouldn't know about that.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Iannis View Post
    I tend not to like them because they don't generally flow that well. Some games manage to do it very well (Vampire Bloodlines was surprisingly nicely written), but for most narratives it's the same shape of convoluted in a darker color palette.

For example -- It's one of those very few complaints that I have with New Vegas. The Brotherhood were my BROS. Being a wildcard and letting them live wasn't a good choice or an evil choice... those bitches were my high-tech crazy asshole arizona minutemen border patrol that I didn't even have to pay. Gotta keep those fucking undesirables out if you're gonna run any sort of self-respecting wasteland empire. And those brotherhood freaks, they'd do it for FREE! But really, the "right" choice was to blow up the brotherhood bunker. Why? Those dudes know the score.
    Heh, in my most recent FONV playthrough I beat the entire gameworld, all the DLCs and a host of mods. But when it came time for Mr. House to ask me to kill the brotherhood I told him no thanks and left the main quest unresolved. There's something actually intriguing to the idea that you can deliberately end the game without resolving the main quest and it still makes sense. The NCR is strong, the caesar dudes are obliterated, Mr. House has his shit together and no big war over the dam actually happens.

Almost no games can really have an unfinished world like that and it still makes sense. Maybe just every bethesda game, lol.
    Last edited by Tuco; 11-18-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Tuconots
    Was New Vegas seriously better than FO 3? I enjoyed FO3 but never bothered with NV. I might pick it up.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamel View Post
    Was New Vegas seriously better than FO 3? I enjoyed FO3 but never bothered with NV. I might pick it up.
    Depends on the person. I enjoyed FO3 more, but only slightly. NV was pretty close to it. Though I would say that FO3's DLC is leagues better on average.

Tuconots
    I like FO3 for the story, New Vegas for the execution.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamel View Post
    NV on release was a great but buggy game, but they've tightened it up a lot.

I'd actually rate FO3 as being better because:
    1. It was original (if you care).
    2. I liked DC much better than New Vegas. (I grew up in Las Vegas and downtown New Vegas was much pretty much a joke. Plus I don't like RPG cities in general).
    3. The whole Caesar's Legion shit was silly. I liked fighting Mutants and Combine more.

Either way it's kind of like choosing between pumpkin pie and cherry pie. I'll be damned if I'm not eating both of them.

No Pants Dance
    Tuconots
    Fo3 had a better setting, FNV had better gameplay and (in my opinion), DLC.

Tuconots
    Fallout 3's gameplay reeked to much of consolitis so I couldn't enjoy it. New Vegas improved enough I could play it in spite of it's issues, though it helped I just came off of Skyrim, with its consolitis.

Fucking consoles.

Tuconots
    It's been a while since I played either game vanilla, how were FONV or FO3 any different gameplay wise?

Tuconots
    New Vegas had in my opinion a much more intriguing and original storyline than FO3, and also had more fleshed out endings! The DLCs were incorporated into an overall story arc in NV with a moral message, while in FO3 they felt more like stand alone adventures. Fighting in FO3 became very easy after level 10 or so, while NV was more challenging overall. There were too many skill books, and SPECIAL increasing items/rewards in FO3. NV generally felt more connected to the original games, with a similar style of humor, which i liked. generally, with campfires and such, it seems to me that NV introduced more gameplay mechanics.

Tuconots
    It's been a while since I played either game vanilla, how were FONV or FO3 any different gameplay wise?
    I couldn't even tell you exactly. It was just a few minor UI tweaks I think.

Banned
    Tuconots
    New Vegas: Great because it was basically Fallout 2 in Fallout 3's engine, but flawed because bethesda only gave Obsidian a year to develop the game (hence why Vegas was so small and you couldn't join the Legion and that whole faction wasn't fleshed out like it was originally intended to)

Fallout 3: Great because better map

But what you should all do right now is download and install both on Steam, and then use this mod

Tale of Two Wastelands

Which makes all the big changes from Fallout New Vegas work in 3, makes 3 way more stable on Win 7/8 and you can play both storylines and ALL DLC in whatever order you want, traveling between the two at very centrally located train stations.

Tuconots
    I enjoyed New Vegas much more than FO3. In fact, I never finished FO3, but I finished NV a couple times.

but some of bugs were laugh out loud terrible, especially on console when you couldn't just fix it.

Tuconots
    FO3 had a very "new car smell" thing going on. It was fresh. At least gameplay wise... Also, brotherhood of steel play a huge part of that game and the dlc's, whereas they hardly have a place in new vegas. I love the bos so I didn't like that. BUT I think, overall, I had more enjoyment out of new vegas

King of the potato people Derpa's Avatar
    Tuconots
    1. It was original (if you care).
    How was it original?

Tuconots
    I really liked the NV DLC's. They managed to explore a different aspect of the gameplay with each one and managed to fill in interesting parts of the story. Those DLC's remind me of what an expansion pack should be. DLCs often leave me feeling a little bit ripped off

Finding Eden in the wasteland is sort of a fallout-standard idea, and was a good place to start. Dead Money was hellish and I hated it the first time I played it. But on a replay I really loved it and the idea of it. Going to the Big MT was just the pith of fallout humor. It only could have been better if they'd incorporated action boy somehow. Lonesome Road was probably the weakest one. I felt like there really should have been a timer on those maps because they went for a linear fast action fps feel and it almost worked -- but was a little bit odd that there wasn't a timer on those maps. The story for Lonesome Road got a little bit meta and self-contradicting as well, and really only made much sense when you did some wiki digging about it. But I guess how better to tie up your involvement with this latest fallout than to give us a meta-as-fuck story about the fallout that you were GOING to make instead of New Vegas, and tie it into New Vegas.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpa View Post
    How was it original?
    I just mean that FO3 built a 3d representation of the fallout world and all the assets. FONV copied most of it. I don't really mind reuse at all (in fact I think gaming companies should reuse content more) but when I played FO3 it was the first 3d fallout game I played. When I played FONV it was more of the same.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by j00t View Post
    no, i'm with you. i can't NOT play the paragon of virtue and truth. my point is that it's WAY too easy to be good and evil in video games. being evil should result in poeple coming after you, stores not selling to you, quest givers not talking to you. being good should result in being fricking poor. turning down quest rewards because the destitute woman that you just saved from some gang members probably needs those gold coins more than you do. people offer you all kinds of quests, but they take advantage of you because they KNOW you're not going to break their knee caps if they give you an old cloak they have lying around instead of their grandfather's diamond longsword of ethereal vorpal-ness +3.

being evil or good carries no inherent weight in video games. i mean, there was SORT OF weight, like you said, about blowing up megaton, in that the town was gone from that point on... but... so? you were doing your shopping elsewhere at that point in the game. there wasn't really any REAL repercussions of LITERALLY NUKING AN ENTIRE TOWN.
    I think there was some of this in FO2. I seem to remember squads of either Brotherhood or the other dudes showing up in my random encounters out for my blood, depending what I had been doing that game. Baldur's Gate did this too I think if you were evil? Outside the stupid town guard thing I mean. I can't really remember.

Tuconots
    I just mean that FO3 built a 3d representation of the fallout world and all the assets. FONV copied most of it. I don't really mind reuse at all (in fact I think gaming companies should reuse content more) but when I played FO3 it was the first 3d fallout game I played. When I played FONV it was more of the same.
    Same with me. I played FO3 many years after it had come out (all DLC had been released). I sunk a decent amount of time into that game, then I got FONV and it felt too similar. I chalk that up to the proximity to which I had played it in relation to FO3...had there been a multi-year gap, maybe I would have felt different. It also sucked going from Winter Power Armor /w alien tech energy rifles to bootleg shotguns ;p

I think there was some of this in FO2. I seem to remember squads of either Brotherhood or the other dudes showing up in my random encounters out for my blood, depending what I had been doing that game. Baldur's Gate did this too I think if you were evil? Outside the stupid town guard thing I mean. I can't really remember.
    FO3 had some of that. The quest where you agree to put the slave collars on folks...if you backed out of that deal (ie, you murdered the slavers instead) after getting the quest, the slavers hired mercs to murder you. They would randomly appear as you went about your way on the map. The Aqua-Pura bit from the end of vanilla FO3 that carried over into the DLC was also pretty big, since it changed the game world a lot.
    Last edited by Cybsled; 11-19-2013 at 03:15 PM.

Confirmed Beta Shitlord. Phazael's Avatar
    Tuconots
    NV (bugs aside) was the better of the two, but it was a very narrow divide. Story wise, NV had a much more interesting multiple faction arc to tackle and it tied more directly into the original games. Game mechanic wise, NV was more challenging simply because the more limited perks meant you could not be the master of all abilities like you could in FO3, so your character had to specialize which really improved the replay value beyond the moral choices. NV also had much better balance between the weapon types, though energy weapons might have been a tad overnerfed. The lack of enemies scaling with you also helped the game enormously and is probably the best choice that Obsidian made in design. Finally, the DLC in NV was miles better than FO3, largely due to the whole Ulysses arc tying everything together (though you did have to dig in the game text to notice it), though the finale was pretty much a treadmill.

The areas where FO3 got things a little better were the setting was better (large stretches of unused land in NV vs the tons of hand populated ruins maps) and felt more apocalyptic. NV had this overly civilized feel to it, which I suppose is partly due to the fact that it is a continuation of the NCR arc from the first two games, but it lost he whole lone scavenger in the wasteland feel that FO3 captured so well. FO3 also seemed to have a better variation of enemies occupying intuitively well thought out places than NV. The tree dog radio and song choices also were a lot more entertaining than the NV counterparts (Tabitha aside). Finally, the entire VR dive into the german scientist's computer world was one of the best handled settings I have seen in a game in years.

That said, Tuco is pretty much right on. The games are close in quality and the worst Fallout game is still miles ahead of the best game of other supposed franchises.
    668 The Neighbor of the Beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Erronious
    I don't F5 Rerolled often, but when I do, I'm waiting on nudes

Confirmed Beta Shitlord. Phazael's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Edit- And oh yeah, FO3 also had the whole step out of the vault thing which was just mind blowing the first time you play the game and something NV lacked. I really hope the next game has the multiple faction system of NV but the just stepped out of the Vault experience of FO1/3.
    668 The Neighbor of the Beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Erronious
    I don't F5 Rerolled often, but when I do, I'm waiting on nudes

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Phazael View Post
    Edit- And oh yeah, FO3 also had the whole step out of the vault thing which was just mind blowing the first time you play the game and something NV lacked. I really hope the next game has the multiple faction system of NV but the just stepped out of the Vault experience of FO1/3.
    They're both great. New Vegas had the better story while F03 was more fleshed out. F03 deserved it's praise while NV due to politics was forced to release and came out buggy. With patches and time it's clear it was one of the most underrated games of the decade.

I am starting my annual FO1-NV marathon and I suggest some bros do the same. Time to write some wrongs and see what the Master is up too.

fallout-0562.jpg
    Last edited by Regime; 11-19-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Tuconots
    Why Fallout 3 is the best:

Banned
    Tuconots
    New Vegas is only not better basically because Bethesda fucked Obsidian by only giving them a year to make the game. Had they given them 6 months more even, or preferably a year, that whole Legion encampment and all the empty areas would have been fully fleshed out and Vegas proper would have been larger.

But again, all this is moot now. You can play Fallout 3 and New Vegas together as one game using the Tale of Two Wasteland mods provided you actually own the games That's right. You can start the game being born in Fallout 3, travel by train station to the Vegas wasteland, start that storyline, and complete both games and all missions in them together using all the UI and gameplay improvements from New Vegas in both wastelands.

Its fucking incredible

Tale of Two Wastelands

Tuconots
    That would actually be worth a replay of the two games together. Nice find!

Banned
    Tuconots
    Fallout 3 crashes a lot on Win 7 and above. This mod fixes that as well. Makes the game much more stable. Its pretty great all around.

Oh and the DLC can all be played in this mod no problem. It unifies both games entirely.

Registered User Astral Projection's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Agraza View Post
    They should also stop being pussies about vehicles. Walking everywhere is tarded.
    Yeah, the best part about Fallout Tactics was driving around in an APC, real-time mode, with sniper rifles in the window ports, and running over shit. Would be nice to see that in Fallout 4 in addition to multiplayer.

The no-vehicles deal is probably due to whatever mediocre-ish engine Bethesda always uses. They should just switch to something like Unreal where you have vehicles pretty much out of the box like Borderlands.

Tuconots
    Modding bethesda games is always a value vs compatibility/stability/bug balancing act. I don't really see the value of porting FO3 content into FONV and then using that as a platform to add mods to. Unless somehow it works really well. I guess I'd have to try it to see. Having Project Nevada fully working in FO3 would be great.

Banned
    Tuconots
    There's a list of compatible mods on the Tale of Two Wastelands site.

No idea if Project Nevada is compatible or not.

Tale of Two Wastelands Mod Releases | Tale of Two Wastelands

Looks like it might be there's a patch to fix a problem or two with it.

They're basically the same engine New Vegas just has a year or two of patches applied for the most part. Same reason you can port Morrowind's world into both Oblivion and Skyrim's engines if you desire.

The advantage is you get all the New Vegas improvements, including survival mode or hardcore mode whatever its called, plus you can take New Vegas weapons back to the Capital Wasteland. Its pretty sick all the way around.
    Last edited by hodj; 11-19-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by hodj View Post
    There's a list of compatible mods on the Tale of Two Wastelands site.

No idea if Project Nevada is compatible or not.

Tale of Two Wastelands Mod Releases | Tale of Two Wastelands

Looks like it might be there's a patch to fix a problem or two with it.

They're basically the same engine New Vegas just has a year or two of patches applied for the most part. Same reason you can port Morrowind's world into both Oblivion and Skyrim's engines if you desire.

The advantage is you get all the New Vegas improvements, including survival mode or hardcore mode whatever its called, plus you can take New Vegas weapons back to the Capital Wasteland. Its pretty sick all the way around.
    What's your mod list for FO3 in FONV's engine?

Tuconots
    I enjoyed NV more than FO3, personally. FO3 was huge in scale and scope but mostly it wasn't fleshed out. You'd have vast zones with little purpose. In NV it seemed like every zone had a meaning for being around. If they would have actually made the Legion storyline/questline as fleshed out as the other faction it would have been amazing.

Banned
    Tuconots
    What's your mod list for FO3 in FONV's engine?
    I dunno what you mean. I haven't sat down and gone through like Nexus looking for mods for any bethesda title in a good long while.

When I found about about Tale of Two Wastelands, I fresh reinstalled both games for the first time in about a year and just installed that mod for the most part.

But at that link I posted there's a ton of threads on mods and what are compatible with both and what probably aren't as well.

Tuconots
    Oh ok, thanks.

You should look up the FONV/FO3 thread we have around and mod it up and follow whatever advice I said!

Tuconots
    I just mean that FO3 built a 3d representation of the fallout world and all the assets.
    You say this like it is a good thing.

Banned
    Tuconots
    Why would I do that?

I'm not getting your point here. When did this turn into a mod dick waving contest? What is your point/problem/issue with this mod that has led you to post this post?

When NV came out, people wanted to see the two games put together, and Bethesda said it wouldn't be possible because of legal issues with the two different companies making the game. These guys had one version of this mod but was shut down over those legal issues by Bethesda, but they came up with this self installer work around that Bethesda's lawyers were okay with that allows you to combine the two games into one, playing the entire thing as a singular experience.

Because they are so compatible, other mods should work with this mod for the most part. Some may need updates or slight changes from their developers. Luckily I linked you a comprehensive list of them.

You may not see the value of putting both games, including all their DLCs together with the far superior New Vegas leveling and hard core mode and perks system, etc. but luckily there are plenty of people who aren't you who do, apparently. Hence the mods popularity.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhaun View Post
    You say this like it is a good thing.
    Would you prefer the franchise to never evolve beyond 2d iso and just die instead? Fallout has never been more popular than it is now and that is thanks to the evolution to 3d.

Thread Information