Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Tuconots

EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Thought it would be nice to start a thread so we know who will be around in alpha/beta for potential guilding or co-op builds. Ill keep the OP updated with a list of names, just post in the thread with what access you bought.

EQN Landmark - Founder's Pack

Alpha (* indicates interest in forum guild membership):

*Quaid = Quaid (in game)
    Big W Powah!
    Flight
    InterSlayer
    Convo
    Soygen
    Abefroman
    Defend
    *Nemesis (Nemnuts in game)
    Agonizing the bait Master = Drecin (in game)
    Moontayle = moontayle (in game)
    Scyfy = Scyfy (in game)
    Eonen = Eonen (in game)
    Dahkoht
    Skanda = Skanda (in game)
    Randin
    Tol
    gogojira = kinolin (in game)
    Shazbot
    Zzeris = Zzeris (in game)
    Bondurant
    RhinoHelix
    *Skurd
    Anomander Rake = Anomander (in game)
    SaidBetterThan
    Agenor
    Apostolos
    Raign
    Rogosh
    Laerazi
    Hekotat = Hekotat (in game)
    Fawe
    Sakkath
    *Madruk = Madikus (in game)
    Rhinohelix
    Slaythe
    Lleauaric
    Meatus
    Xzi
    Misery
    *Daelos = Mherim Ache (in game)
    Vorathe
    Blazin
    Black_Death
    Staticthreat
    GeneralF
    Column
    Lethality
    MeStevo
    ImmortalityTX
    Jain Farstrider
    Vilmz
    Zefah
    Hake
    Vatoreus malfost

Closed Beta:

Stave
    aegdaien
    Braen
    Last edited by Braen; 03-29-2014 at 11:04 PM.

Tuconots
    Alpha for me as well. Have a few friends outside of this board community I will be inviting as well once closed beta rolls around.

Tuconots
    Me

Tuconots
    Alpha

Hearthstone Champion
    Tuconots
    < alpha

Tuconots
    alpha

Tuconots
    I'm not in but I would like to be. How did you guys get an invite, by just applying at their website?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeasor View Post
    I'm not in but I would like to be. How did you guys get an invite, by just applying at their website?
    We bought founders packs

Tuconots
    EQN Landmark - Founder's Pack

Dunno if you want to put that in your original post Quaid. I'm sure there's a few folks lurking about who will still sign up.

Tuconots
    Alpha here.

Tuconots
    just add a "ppl with too much money at their hands" to the titel.

Tuconots
    not saying it is the same, but i would have gladly paid money to be in the WoW and d3 alpha. WoW because it was awesome and d3 to have tried to fix that shit storm of a game. i digress

Tuconots
    d3 had a founders pack/ early access as well, they just called them beta weeks and release.

Tuconots
    Alpha/closed beta here.
    Last edited by Merlin; 11-14-2013 at 11:24 PM.

Tuconots
    I'm blazing a trail

Tuconots
    Alpha for me.

Fighter of the Nightman Furious's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Pay them to test their game for bugs?

"Woman have the right to understand that they are not to be treated as though they are not understood by those who have great understanding of things like these" -Hillary Clinton

Tuconots
    Trailblazer/Alpha/Dong Island here as well.

(as if I had the skill to build a dong).

Tuconots
    Alpha

Tuconots
    Do we know how long the founders packs are going to be going for?

Tuconots
    In 4 Alpha.

Tuconots
    What exactly is "Landmark"?

Minecraft for EQ?

Registered User Unchained Acolyte's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Definitely going to be in the Alpha. If SOE is serious about getting any kind of real feedback from players regarding world-building and design, this could be a step in the right direction for a truly "next-gen" experience.

That and I'm an immersion/locale/fluff whore, so I'm anxious to see what their tools can really do. That and what kind of community would be present.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Quineloe View Post
    What exactly is "Landmark"?

Minecraft for EQ?
    Yes. And from what I've gathered, it has no real effect on the game, just landscaping.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Unchained Acolyte View Post
    If SOE is serious about getting any kind of real feedback from players regarding world-building and design, this could be a step in the right direction for a truly "next-gen" experience.
    God I hope not. If the step in the right direction to get a "next-gen experience" from a big game developer and to get real feedback from players, is to charge $100 to play in Alpha testing, then we are doomed.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by cinge View Post
    God I hope not. If the step in the right direction to get a "next-gen experience" from a big game developer and to get real feedback from players, is to charge $100 to play in Alpha testing, then we are doomed.
    Please, explain.

Rav Scam-Free Zone
    Tuconots
    For the love of god someone please explain to me why people are giving SOE $60+ to trial this shit? All your toilets are full, and you can't flush any more money down 'em?
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Flex View Post
    The lag makes you last longer.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by OneofOne View Post
    For the love of god someone please explain to me why people are giving SOE $60+ to trial this shit? All your toilets are full, and you can't flush any more money down 'em?
    Thanks for the pep talk mom! Glad you are here to share more of your opinions that we ever so crave!

Tuconots
    Considering it's super minecraft on steroids we kind of already know what we're getting into. It's not like we're completely blindly throwing money at them (albeit some are). If people want to pay to play a buggy game early, so fucking what? What do you even care at all?

Tuconots
    About how you spend your money to entertain yourself? I don't think anyone really does care. It's your money, it's your entertainment. Knock yourself out. But if there was any hope of EQ3 potentially, through some act of providence, being any good at all this right here crushes it.

Jackalope did this with his neverwinter mmo. It seems to be becoming a trend. Do you think you're buying your way into the inner circle? for 100 bucks? Do you think that whatever feedback you contribute is going to do anything besides feed the vanity and wallets of the men who sold you the privilege of feedbacking?

It doesn't work like that.

But have fun paying to build art assets for SOE. I'm serious, have fun. It's probably the only fun there will ever be in EQ3.

Tuconots
    Do we really need two threads "discussing" the pay for alpha shit?

Tuconots
    Since 'fun' is pretty much entirely subjective, I'm sure what you just said was true. To you.

I had fun in EQ, EQ2, EQOA, and even Champions of Norrath. I expect to have fun in EQN:L if history is any indication. I genuinely like the IP, and as I suspect may have motivated some others, my curiosity and excitement for the title caused me to purchase early access.

I don't care if it is unfinished. I don't care about the 'precedent' it sets. I don't care if EQN doesn't live up to some nebulous hipsteresque ideal of a 'fun' MMORPG.

I want to play the new EverQuest game, and I want to play it as soon as possible.

Let us build Norrath together (but with dicks)

Tuconots
    Reserved for picks of my wangcastle
    Last edited by Quaid; 11-15-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Tuconots
    Anyone found promo codes for buying one of the packs?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by OneofOne View Post
    Because they have a unique, ground breaking, genre shifting mmo that I would pay $60 at release for just like any other mmo, and it makes no difference to me if I pay for it now 1 year before release or 1 year later when it releases.

It's not like SOE is some unknown company that just sprang up overnight. They have a history of making and releasing MMO's. I'm sure people disagree with how the game direction heads afterwards, or want to armchair developer about how they would have done things better, but I don't expect them to disappear into the night with my money, remove anything we saw in the video previews so far, or decide not to make Everquest 3.
    Last edited by InterSlayer; 11-15-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Tuconots
    you say that like SOE has a good reputation.

But in general, the same reason people bought into Terraria, Path of exile, Minecraft, gnomoria, or any of the other early access games on steam atm. not to mention other various kickstarters where you just pay up front and get nothing at all, until release.
    I know I bought in to Starbound already. we dont even get alpha for that.

That 60 or 100$ price tag is awful high for early access. And as noted, its probably amusing to point out really SOE has less confidence then so many indie guys.

I'll say watching a game evolve is very entertaining in itself. AND constant patching and new additions to a game, keeps it incredibly fresh. Often moreso then a fully complete one.

Tuconots

you know, this video, there is a few things that concern me.

Namely, its not enough minecraft/terraria, and entirely too much just dev tools.

Add/delete tools. AI scripting tools. They explain the game as the same tools they are using to make EQ next. well, we have seen that before. many games have build tools like that. Neverwinter, dragonage, etc. heck even Warcraft/starcraft etc.
    These overly complicated campaign creating tools tend to be a bit too confusing, and involved however, and rarely take off to a massive degree.

Its ENTIRELY possible, it is simply a UI issue. I mean, clearly some of those I just mentioned DID have some crazy modding, using these dev provided tools. Dota, etc was created right in game, using these default tools.

on the other hand, buying/selling/trading of materials in a minecraft type world is very interesting.
    Materials would need to be consumable I think.
    I mean a problem in these games tends to be, its very easy to just get everything you need, then give stuff for free, destroying progression for others.
    Last edited by Caliane; 11-15-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    Yes. And from what I've gathered, it has no real effect on the game, just landscaping.
    I had the impression this was an entirely different game, disconnected from EQ. Otherwise, you could definitely have an effect on the game by landscaping.

Tuconots
    So to sum this up: they release clever concealed dev tools, have people pay for them and use the best generated content in their mmo? Really?

Tuconots
    So does that money buy you the actual game too? Is it like 3years early preordering, or is it just paying to play the fucking landscape shit only? Why would you do that, it's not like it's gonna be any better than minecraft is it? Does it have combat? Just building shit? I watched a dev video and they showed various blocks and a house and shit, looked alright but if that's all there is to do there's no fucking way I'm spending anything at all for it. Wasn't landscape supposed to be free too? It's pretty fucking expensive too.

Edit: Oh I see there's another thread about it too. And it does look like it's just building. Fuck that.
    Last edited by Pyros; 11-15-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Sucks at being a grammer Nazi. etchazz's Avatar
    Tuconots
    a fool and his money are soon parted.

Tuconots
    Sucks everyone is being forced to pay for Alpha access, doesn't it.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyros View Post
    So does that money buy you the actual game too? Is it like 3years early preordering, or is it just paying to play the fucking landscape shit only? Why would you do that, it's not like it's gonna be any better than minecraft is it? Does it have combat? Just building shit? I watched a dev video and they showed various blocks and a house and shit, looked alright but if that's all there is to do there's no fucking way I'm spending anything at all for it. Wasn't landscape supposed to be free too? It's pretty fucking expensive too.

Edit: Oh I see there's another thread about it too. And it does look like it's just building. Fuck that.
    It's a free to play game. It buys you what it says it buys you in the package description.

Yes it's only building stuff right now, crafting, etc. But they'll add combat later. They have to, since they're using this to build EQ3.

Transform, and roll out! Bruman's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyros View Post

Why are you so mad at something you obviously are in the dark about?

-Yes paying money gets you into the game
    -It's expected to launch in Beta no later than March 2014 I think. Who knows when it becomes "official" though.
    -"Better" than Minecraft is not something anyone can say. They're both games where you build crap. After that, "better" is really subjective, need to be more explicit with what you're looking for.
    -No combat at launch they're saying, but it will be included later. I think everyone is expecting it'll be most comparable to survival mode from Minecraft once they get combat in.
    -The game is free. People are paying for items are early access.

And now I'm sure you think I'm a EQNL fanboy or white knight or some shit. Note that I've paid zero dollars, don't really plan on changing that either. I think $100 for alpha access is ridiculous, but if people want to buy it, I don't blame them as a company, and I don't really give a fuck what other people do with their entertainment money anyways. They've just done their own Kickstarter campaign but without letting KS get a slice of the pie. Nor any of the restrictions or safety nets for pledgers. Which I also don't blame them as a company - they don't need KS.

Tuconots
    So I guess Trion is throwing its hat into the creation/destruction ring too: Trion officially reveals Trove: Endless adventures through endless worlds | Massively

It's all the rage these days. Haven't had enough time to see if it's a proper MMO or I'd have created a thread for it. But you know, voxels and Landmark and all that.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruman View Post
    Why are you so mad at something you obviously are in the dark about?

-Yes paying money gets you into the game
    -It's expected to launch in Beta no later than March 2014 I think. Who knows when it becomes "official" though.
    -"Better" than Minecraft is not something anyone can say. They're both games where you build crap. After that, "better" is really subjective, need to be more explicit with what you're looking for.
    -No combat at launch they're saying, but it will be included later. I think everyone is expecting it'll be most comparable to survival mode from Minecraft once they get combat in.
    -The game is free. People are paying for items are early access.

And now I'm sure you think I'm a EQNL fanboy or white knight or some shit. Note that I've paid zero dollars, don't really plan on changing that either. I think $100 for alpha access is ridiculous, but if people want to buy it, I don't blame them as a company, and I don't really give a fuck what other people do with their entertainment money anyways. They've just done their own Kickstarter campaign but without letting KS get a slice of the pie. Nor any of the restrictions or safety nets for pledgers. Which I also don't blame them as a company - they don't need KS.
    I'm not "mad", I do swear a lot but that's my usual writing style. You'll be hard pressed finding any of my post that doesn't contain shit or fucking, it's just the way I learned english, playing mmos, teaches you bad habits ^^.

I do think however that looks like WAY overpriced considering it's a F2P sideshow game. I guess they decided to make it a full game at some point to get money to finish the actual game? Obviously eventually the finished product might be objectively better than minecraft, I just don't see why you'd pay on the offchance that's the case when it's guaranteed to be worse until then. I guess it's prettier than the shitty blocks so that's that but there's so few features planned early on I don't know.

I was just curious if that money was actually going toward the real game, but apparently not, it's a separate thing now. And so yeah, fuck that. If it turns out they add a decent survival mode and combat and stuff like that I'll pick up the game later on but no way I'd be paying money for a F2P builder game. I'm not saying anything about people who are willing to, it's their money and they might enjoy building, I don't so that's all there is to it.

It does sound like a fucking stupid amount though that they justify mostly with alpha/beta access, since the items don't look like anything you'd care about. A top tier ONE pickaxe, a bag which they didn't say was a unique mechanic so it's just probably a free bag vs having to craft them, some gate that does things that would take "weeks" to make aka 10hours of gametime and some ring that increases HQ rate which probably will be obsolete as soon as you move up in tiers and craft your own crafting gear. Typical mmo stuff but usually you'd have to pay for the box too, or if it's a F2P with a cash shop you'd get a bunch of points to spend in the shop. Here you get just the usual shit items and access to early feature limited version of the game.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by gogojira View Post
    So I guess Trion is throwing its hat into the creation/destruction ring too: Trion officially reveals Trove: Endless adventures through endless worlds | Massively

It's all the rage these days. Haven't had enough time to see if it's a proper MMO or I'd have created a thread for it. But you know, voxels and Landmark and all that.
    haha nice.

Go ahead and make a new thread. they call it an mmo.

Reads like it will be a starbound/terraria mixed with Diablo.

Basically, you have your worlds. but you can seamlessly travel to other worlds. These worlds may be other players worlds, or on the spot generated ones. These new worlds can be locked in, or allowed to despawn after a certain time(in the same way a diablo instance doesn't last forever)

Transform, and roll out! Bruman's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Swear level noted!

Well, they're definitely marketing EQNL as it's own full fledged "F2P" game (although SOE F2P is usually horrible). But the problem is, as we all know, that all of it's on napkins and shit instead of being anything demonstrable.

That being said, I think what they're going for with EQNL will be pretty damn fun, if it does what they want, and it's not buggy / laggy all to hell of course. I think their end goal is there are multiple servers, like a typical MMO. Each one would be basically be like it's own Minecraft survival server, except it's all hosted by SOE, and funded with a cash shop. Once on your server, you pick your claim, gather shit, fight some monsters, trade with players, build your stuff, other people can come explore what you've built, fight through dungeons you create, or even go into instanced content that you've created (with full on NPCs, MOBs, "quests", etc). You can even swap servers to visit worlds other people make.

All that sounds pretty damn fun. But again, napkins.

Tuconots
    If you think of Landmark as a set of development tools or as an SDK, the cost of early entry here is neither unreasonable nor difficult to understand. Especially if you plan on using Landmark to "create your own MMO" as Ponytail explains it. Having an interest like that and simultaneously being able to help shape the evolution of development tools is a really cool idea to a lot of people.
    Last edited by Lenas; 11-15-2013 at 07:33 PM.

Tuconots
    I wonder if I looked this dumb justifying my Mortal Online collectors edition

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Remit View Post
    Lol

Tuconots
    I should've posted earlier; I'll be in alpha, just seeing if I can site-pimp my way into a free one currently; If not I'll just buy my way in.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Big W Powah! View Post
    I should've posted earlier; I'll be in alpha, just seeing if I can site-pimp my way into a free one currently; If not I'll just buy my way in.
    Just buy it and send Draegan the bill, working expenses and all.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Remit View Post
    Mortal Online?

I assure you, you looked a lot dumber.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by gogojira View Post

Trion bought CubeWorld?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenas View Post
    If you think of Landmark as a set of development tools or as an SDK, the cost of early entry here is neither unreasonable nor difficult to understand. Especially if you plan on using Landmark to "create your own MMO" as Ponytail explains it. Having an interest like that and simultaneously being able to help shape the evolution of development tools is a really cool idea to a lot of people.
    Unless they plan on leasing servers to individuals, they should stop phrasing it as "create your own MMO". Getting an entire server of people on board to do one theme would be a challenge.

The thing that bugs me about putting a price tag on alpha is it won't be long before they have their cash shop going so they can nickle and dime people for something that isn't even EQNext. Considering most of the systems have not even been designed/implemented yet (from the sounds of it) you're probably looking at a 2016-2017 release for EQ Next so you tap into peoples wallets with the promise of that game to come for 3 years.

Also not mad, just disappointed.

Tuconots
    EQ Next and EQ Landmark are two different titles.

EQ Next is still out there in development land, and we won't see anything real for a couple of years. That game is likely to be the regular $59.99 box price plus sub or F2P scheme that SOE puts on it.

EQ:Landmark is the Dev tools that are being used/offered up to the player community. The "game" is a minecraftesqe exploration deal where you build stuff. Stuff that gets built will have some way to rate it, so players give feedback for a users creations. The good stuff will float to the top. Some things will be theoretically able to be sold to other players, probably for in game (EQL) store money, doubt it is real cash.

I appreciate what SOE is conceptually trying to do, but the money part is typical SOE moneygrab. The offer out there is you are buying early access to a F2P version of the devkit, with some exploration crap thrown on. It has nothing to do with EQ Next other than SOE will take (maybe) some awesome user generated content from EQ Landmark, and put it on the live EQ Next game.

The whole thing looks like smoke and mirrors to me and a huge clusterfluck, all the while each and every step is monetized.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Schags View Post
    Unless they plan on leasing servers to individuals, they should stop phrasing it as "create your own MMO". Getting an entire server of people on board to do one theme would be a challenge.
    I don't think they are going to lease anything to anyone. I expect that EQNL is going to eventually be packaged up as a complete set of dev tools that you will be able to run on your own server. I think SOE has recognized the popularity of EQ emulators and offshoots, and they're building a system with which people will be able to do those things legally in the future.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by InterSlayer View Post
    Because they have a unique, ground breaking, genre shifting mmo that I would pay $60 at release for just like any other mmo, and it makes no difference to me if I pay for it now 1 year before release or 1 year later when it releases.

It's not like SOE is some unknown company that just sprang up overnight. They have a history of making and releasing MMO's. I'm sure people disagree with how the game direction heads afterwards, or want to armchair developer about how they would have done things better, but I don't expect them to disappear into the night with my money, remove anything we saw in the video previews so far, or decide not to make Everquest 3.
    Good point, SOE has spent years and worked really hard becoming the laughing stock of the MMO space.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
    Good point, SOE has spent years and worked really hard becoming the laughing stock of the MMO space.
    Oh man I always thought that was 38 studios but okay wont argue with you there.

Tuconots
    I will be in alpha. What else would I spend my game money on? I don't see enough interesting games lately to justify not spending the money on EQNL.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirena View Post
    Trion bought CubeWorld?
    Looks like a Chinese knock off of CubeWorld. They should rename it to CubeLand

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by misery View Post
    I will be in alpha. What else would I spend my game money on? I don't see enough interesting games lately to justify not spending the money on EQNL.

Looks like a Chinese knock off of CubeWorld. They should rename it to CubeLand
    hahaha. so Trion makes a minecraft/cubeworld clone and gives free alpha access. "fuck you Trion!"
    Sony makes a minecraft/cubeworld clone, and charges you 60-100$ to play. "whelp, nothing else to play, guess I'll give them 100$"

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Caliane View Post
    hahaha. so Trion makes a minecraft/cubeworld clone and gives free alpha access. "fuck you Trion!"
    Sony makes a minecraft/cubeworld clone, and charges you 60-100$ to play. "whelp, nothing else to play, guess I'll give them 100$"
    I dunno, two games, one appeals to me and one doesn't. It's not so much as fuck you Trion as, my opinion is thus.
    Also, I think it's more of an issue with Trion not having enough quality/demand to be able to charge for alpha access, while Sony clearly has such. Free is obviously much better in their case.

Tuconots
    Lol quality and SOE ;P

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by cinge View Post
    Lol quality and SOE ;P
    You anti-fanboys can hate it as much as you want. They are showing true quality in their recent endeavors, and I plan to capitalize on it by throwing my money at it and potentially enjoying it someday.

Tuconots
    uh their most recent endeavor was a horribly rushed, 50-70% finished, with bugs/glitches and a very badly optimized engine.

If it was a traditional MMO it would have been a lot worse, but since it was a MMOFPS it cut out a lot of usual MMO features/mechanics.

And what was before PS2? I think DCUO? I didn't play it to know, but I didn't hear good things after the first half of the game.

Their entire track record is bad.
    Last edited by Cinge; 11-16-2013 at 02:25 AM.

Tuconots
    I'm talking about Landmark, and I think it looks amazing. The most recent video got me pumped. I never really cared about anything related to Planetside 2, but I've heard it has been getting better.
    Anyway, the voxel design tool set that they are offering players looks very impressive, which is what has me excited. Ultimately, whether the game fails or succeeds in my eyes depends on how well that world building aspect fits into the actual "other" gameplay and community interaction of Landmark. If the other areas of the game are as intuitive as the world creation tools they are showing in the recent videos, I will be very happy. Right now I'm swinging towards optimism.

Their entire track record is bad.
    They don't have the most impressive track record, true. I wouldn't know if calling their previous games failures is really accurate though. Sure, they don't live up to subscription legends like WoW, but they do seem to have their own little fan bases and enthusiasts. I think they have the passion, funding (I didn't research their numbers) and experience to be able to release a AAA game. I still think they are reaching for the stars here, but they tend to impress me recently.

This might be the game that sets them back on the right track. Who knows.
    Last edited by misery; 11-16-2013 at 02:47 AM.

Sucks at being a grammer Nazi. etchazz's Avatar
    Tuconots
    how pathetic has the gaming industry become that now gamers are actually willing to PAY to play in alpha/beta. i'm sorry, but that's about as fucking dumb as going to work and paying your boss for the privilege of working there...

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by etchazz View Post
    how pathetic has the gaming industry become that now gamers are actually willing to PAY to play in alpha/beta. i'm sorry, but that's about as fucking dumb as going to work and paying your boss for the privilege of working there...
    Gamers were always willing to pay for early access. Developers were just never savvy enough to charge for it.

Tuconots
    I keep saying it. Gamers are their own worst enemies. This horse crap proves it.

Tuconots
    You anti-fanboys can hate it as much as you want. They are showing true quality in their recent endeavors, and I plan to capitalize on it by throwing my money at it and potentially enjoying it someday.
    I'm a SoE fanboy of sorts.. some of the my favorite mmo experiences were in EQ and Planetside. Vanguard also, before SoE destroyed it. However, I also recognise that SoE has the biggest gun pointed at their feet of any of the major game studios.

Somehow, SoE manages to come with a lot of very good and somewhat original ideas. But then they execute them (and I don't mean in a good way).

A few years ago, I probably would have thrown my money at them again. The recent mmo market has changed so much though that nobody gets money from me before release anymore. GW2 is the last game I prepaid for. The shiney has worn off the industry, and nothing they do excites me because it's the same old bullshit with a different name. Not even SoE's latest new ideas can get me to pay for an unfinished wishlist full of bugs and exploits.

Make a game that works and "maybe" I'll play it, no promises.
    Last edited by Grim1; 11-16-2013 at 05:26 AM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipmode View Post
    I keep saying it. Gamers are their own worst enemies. This horse crap proves it.
    I'm still waiting for someone to provide a reason as to why this is so offensive.

Nobody who bought alpha access is paying to test a game, I guarantee it. People are paying because they are excited about the game, and want to play it as soon as possible, no matter what state it is in. Perhaps they want the advantage of extra time with the dev tools so they can get better at producing content than launch day players, thus giving them an advantage in player studio.

In my case, EverQuest is probably one of my favourite IPs, and I have never gotten to be a part of an EQ game from day one. Even at EQ launch people spoke of Beta and I was always jelly as shit. In my opinion, $100 for that opportunity is pretty attractive, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by etchazz View Post
    I don't find the connection between my shitty job and play testing EQNL early. Maybe if my job was new and exciting or in a MMO world and not a fracking full time job with a scumbag boss then I would agree with you, and my quality of life would go up immensely as well if that was the case. I get what you're saying, but some people actually want this enough to pay a couple measly doll hairs for it. My job pays me enough to buy the things I want, and I understand that many people might not have that privilege. To those people I offer you a 7 day (or whatever) beta pass in the future when I get them. Good lord, I paid 200 dollars for a college book that I didn't even crack open once during the class.

Tuconots
    It's ok if people want to pay for alpha. If they are excited for the game then good for them. And the money gives the devs some breathing room while also an idea of how popular their game might be.

I actually envy the people who are excited for the game enough to pay for the alpha. It's a good feeling and it doesn't come around enough in life.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaid View Post
    I'm still waiting for someone to provide a reason as to why this is so offensive.

Nobody who bought alpha access is paying to test a game, I guarantee it. People are paying because they are excited about the game, and want to play it as soon as possible, no matter what state it is in.
    Yup.

In my case, EverQuest is probably one of my favourite IPs, and I have never gotten to be a part of an EQ game from day one. Even at EQ launch people spoke of Beta and I was always jelly as shit.
    Big time, man. EverQuest holds a certain place in my heart and on some level I had always been a bit jealous of those people that had been playing since beta.

Tuconots
    Yup.

Big time, man. EverQuest holds a certain place in my heart and on some level I had always been a bit jealous of those people that had been playing since beta.
    FistPound.jpg

Tuconots
    Man is this the same board population that screamed and shit on the very same company when they announced a pay for the discs and shipping beta with their premium SWG beta?
    Seriously?

Tuconots
    Yup.

What part of EverQuest do you see in Disney Land characters wearing Sci-Fi armor (as per the founder packs rewards)?

If I see a hint of EverQuest in their Land Mark deal I would have considered playing the free "thing". But I see nothing that speaks Norrath for me.
    “If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth." - Joseph Goebbels

Tuconots
    Alright, I've decided too.

I'll be in alpha with bros. Are some of us planning any projects together? They mentioned that you'll be able to open up plots for people to help you build. Seems pretty awesome. If anyone has been in the Minecraft server for RR, if we have a tool this strong to build together.. holy shit is all I can say.

Tuconots
    I'll be in Alpha as well.

Bought the Explorer's pack. Being in Europe and paying in euros means I would have to pay $121.46 for the trailblazer. Now I payed $72.89 for Explorer's pack. fucking bullshit.

Tuconots
    I think a lot of it is a reflection of how MMOs just aren't satisfying people who used to be extremely passionate about them due to the industry moving to capture a different audience -while seeming goddamn terrified to deviate very far from the wow success formula. People having disposable income and salivating for something different in a genre that's stagnated for the better part of a decade are jumping on hopes that something will have the new car smell again. It doesn't seem terribly unreasonable: I mean, it's not like people are jumping on the newest cod, madden, or other predictable yearly release. It might be a horrible disappointment but it is teasing something new, and could possibly be a next big thing for some people. I sold my wow beta key for $450 so it's nothing new, except the devs finally caught on that they could get people to pay for betas.

Tuconots
    I dunno..I felt like I made some valid points to why it's a bad idea. My biggest being they have never gotten releases right in the past. They should worry about releasing a game that is stable and a minamal amount of bugs before they go ahead and make money off the process..
    Also..some seem to think that for as many who buy into alpha to play SoE will have just as many dedicated testers.. That's just putting a smile on this.. There will be a limit to how many people the severs can handle as they optimize I would imagine. So the people who pay to play will get dibs. I'm expecting a pretty buggy product come release day. Question is how bad of a state does the game have to be in at release for people to point at this alpha buy in as the reason?

I think they should of invited for alpha and used the packages for closed and open.
    Last edited by Convo; 11-16-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Convo View Post
    I think they should of invited for alpha and used the packages for closed and open.
    My solution would be to just include some sony funny-money for buying in-game stuff when it goes live. Didn't planetside give soe cash for the people buying into beta? That would make it such an easy choice. It would suck if that $100 could buy an extra 10 claims or whatever.

Tuconots
    If we put a few plots together we could make a badass city

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Furious View Post
    Pay them to test their game for bugs?
    This is the "fucking moron fanboy sucker thread". Here is where all the people come to complain about how much EQ has fucked them over for 10+, then they throw money at the mere release promise with no idea of quality whatsoever.

This is how we lower the bar on releases. We have fucking idiots who will prepay $100 4 months in advance - for a game with "FREE TO PLAY" plastered all over it's "$100 Founder" order page - with no guarantee of any baseline quality or playability. Then, when you point out their donations to Smedley's Ferrari fund are killing the quality baseline of the genre they claim to love, these same idiots will then tell you you're "broke" or " a loser" because "They can blow $100 on a fucking game every weekend night, because they're so baller it's an investment - after all, they pay more in that one night for bottle service!" and launch off on a tirade about how it's their dumb fucking pre-orders keeping enough revenue in this industry for the games to exist at all (doing us no favors I'll add).

Fucking suckers. Shouldn't you idiots still be in love with FFXIV's historically bad release?

Tuconots
    Poor person spotted!

Tuconots
    people are weird.

Go live your own lives. Thx!

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Lleauaric View Post
    people are weird.

Go live your own lives. Thx!
    They are too busy tweeting their pay-for-alpha anti corporate outrage from their occupy wall street tents. There are battles to be fought, sir!

Tuconots
    I feel like this is important to realize for people that are 100% anti Landmark. But I guess they'll still call you an idiot for being willing to pay for it. One way or another it's going to be free and for a big time developer to release their toolkit for free is pretty nice. If they actually do impliment the ability to create quests and shit like they say, then this will be fucking amazing. Even if they don't I'll enjoy building and exploring while half the people in these two threads are crying about games that other people play.

Tuconots
    grouphug.jpeg

I started EQ in June of 99 and felt the same way about those pictures of everyone standing around Inny.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Faddor View Post
    This is the "fucking moron fanboy sucker thread.. etc
    It's an ALPHA. The progress is going to be wiped. I don't see anything that is forcing people to buy any of these packs. They are simply extra options for people who are interested in the game enough to want to play a pre-beta version of the game. The extras are neat, but useless. If they can make some extra development money from it, and it isn't forcing anyone to buy, then why should they not capitalize on such an opportunity? They are a BUSINESS, and it is their job to make a profit. Deep down, that is why they exist. This is gentlemanly compared to what many other game/non game related companies do to get their revenue.

Who cares how someone else spends their time or money? Is this setting a bad precedent for future games? I don't think so, because like I said, they aren't forcing you to buy into the alpha. It's an option for those of us who feel fortunate enough to have such an option.

Tuconots
    Who cares how someone else spends their time or money? Is this setting a bad precedent for future games? I don't think so, because like I said, they aren't forcing you to buy into the alpha. It's an option for those of us who feel fortunate enough to have such an option.
    How could them using a practice that's been in use for years be considered precedent anyway? Kinda funny to see people acting like pre-relase buy-ins are a brand new idea in the F2P market. I have to say though the package is pretty lame compared to what PS2 alpha squad got you. I'm still on the fence because of that, if it had a few more perks or a wad of station cash I would have bought in already.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Faddor View Post
    This is the "fucking moron fanboy sucker thread". Here is where all the people come to complain about how much EQ has fucked them over for 10+, then they throw money at the mere release promise with no idea of quality whatsoever.

This is how we lower the bar on releases. We have fucking idiots who will prepay $100 4 months in advance - for a game with "FREE TO PLAY" plastered all over it's "$100 Founder" order page - with no guarantee of any baseline quality or playability. Then, when you point out their donations to Smedley's Ferrari fund are killing the quality baseline of the genre they claim to love, these same idiots will then tell you you're "broke" or " a loser" because "They can blow $100 on a fucking game every weekend night, because they're so baller it's an investment - after all, they pay more in that one night for bottle service!" and launch off on a tirade about how it's their dumb fucking pre-orders keeping enough revenue in this industry for the games to exist at all (doing us no favors I'll add).

Fucking suckers. Shouldn't you idiots still be in love with FFXIV's historically bad release?
    u_mad_bro__by_silver0453-d5f5gnd.jpg

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Meatus View Post
    I'll be in Alpha as well.

Bought the Explorer's pack. Being in Europe and paying in euros means I would have to pay $121.46 for the trailblazer. Now I payed $72.89 for Explorer's pack. fucking bullshit.
    Will buy the Explorers pack myself after Christmas gift buying is over. Just don't see enough benefit from the extra $40 for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azeth View Post
    Right okay fam, they're only the best franchise in 20 years because they've been cheating

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Creed View Post
    How could them using a practice that's been in use for years be considered precedent anyway? Kinda funny to see people acting like pre-relase buy-ins are a brand new idea in the F2P market. I have to say though the package is pretty lame compared to what PS2 alpha squad got you. I'm still on the fence because of that, if it had a few more perks or a wad of station cash I would have bought in already.
    I agree with the lameness. The beta keys are time limited, the titles are useless to me, and the outfits don't really interest me. My name in the credits? Who watches those anyway? What's the point? The only in game perks that I might enjoy would be the mastercraft bracer, maybe the pickaxe, and the void vault which they already said can be crafted in the game later.

For me, it's more about supporting an idea that I appreciate (Landmark/EQN), and getting into the alpha. There really is no concrete reason to go for the most expensive option, which is the only reason I am not against them using this method. Plus, if you're still undecided, you have until closed beta starts to buy any of the packs (even for the time-limited trailblazer perks).

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Creed View Post
    What game sold access to a beta that hasn't even started yet? What game sold access to alpha? I can see little kickstarter companies or super small dev teams doing it, maybe, but not big house developers. Buying into beta is nothing new, but its always been later in the phases(After alpha and beta has been going on for a while). This is a new low and gamers are there to just lap it up.

Alpha squad was only $40, was offered what 3-4 months before release, beta had long been going on already and came with 4,000 station cash, which is $40 by itself. The station cash can be used in any SOE game. Not even close to this crap.

Tuconots
    One day gamers will open their wallets to take a spot for a live stream of the yearly SoE live, where they have gray ponytail and obese smed praising the newest installments of AAA franchise titles.
    Yeah and some will lap it up and even defend that.

Tuconots
    Ponytail has a golden hair clip he bought with the alpha funds.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Convo View Post
    Ponytail has a golden hair clip he bought with the alpha funds.
    John Romero still wishes he owned his.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azeth View Post
    Right okay fam, they're only the best franchise in 20 years because they've been cheating

Tuconots
    As far as starting the game....

I think the first thing I'm going to do is to create an arch template. Beyond all other shapes that's the primary building block by use of cloning you can create an obscene amount of great looking things.

Single arches making doorways or staking them to create a colosseum like facade.
    Taking a single arch and repeating in a straight line to make a vault, or long hall, ie a cathedral.
    Or taking an arch and rotating it 360 degrees to make a fast dome.

Anyone got a "first thing" they are going to create?

Thread Information