Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

Tuconots

The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

Since there was some danger of this derail in the ars editors thread, I thought I would divert the discussion over here in Rerolled's first ever Final Fantasy thread.

That being said, every Final Fantasy that has come out since the Super Nintendo is garbage. I'm referring to the RPG line, so Final Fantasy Tactics doesn't count.

Edit (Adam12): Bravely Default 3DS friendlist can be found here.
    Last edited by Adam12; 02-13-2014 at 06:06 PM.

Tuconots
    So much bait,...must...resist....
    Forsakyn 100 Rogue
    League of Legends Meta Source

Xbox, PSN, Steam, Origin - Xexx01

Tuconots
    I enjoyed VIII and X quite a bit.

Tuconots
    The last Final Fantasy I beat was 7. I played 8 for a few hours, 9 for even less, 10 for maybe an hour.

Tuconots
    Final Fantasy XIII-2 is one one of the best RPGs I've played in a long time. It's a huuuuge step up from FFXIII and I highly recommend anyone who skipped it this year after being turned off by FFXIII to go and give it a shot, it's definitely worth playing and a solid game.

Tuconots
    13-2 was probably one of my favorite current gen JRPG's.

My order of favorites: 7, 10, 12, 13-2, 6, 10-2, 8.
    Last edited by Lenas; 12-11-2012 at 02:32 AM.

Tuconots
    VIII > VII

Come at me bro.

Tuconots
    6, 9, 4, 5, 10

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinrad View Post
    Since there was some danger of this derail in the ars editors thread, I thought I would divert the discussion over here in Rerolled's first ever Final Fantasy thread.

That being said, every Final Fantasy that has come out since the Super Nintendo is garbage. I'm referring to the RPG line, so Final Fantasy Tactics doesn't count.
    Well why not go full retard?

Star Trek vs. Star Wars vs. Warhammer

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Selix View Post

Warhammer wins. Story over.

Does it come with waffles Fidlen's Avatar
    Tuconots
    I liked 9 and 10. I think I played blitz ball as much as the actual game.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Beef Supreme View Post
    VIII > VII

Come at me bro.
    8 had better gameplay except the ether harvesting, and a underrated story.

10 was pretty good too, fuck the haters.

Statistically Significant khanable's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Final Fantasy XIII-2 is one one of the best RPGs I've played in a long time. It's a huuuuge step up from FFXIII and I highly recommend anyone who skipped it this year after being turned off by FFXIII to go and give it a shot, it's definitely worth playing and a solid game.
    I'd just like to point out that I totally called this

I liked everything up to and including 9

And yes, I did like 8. I'm a sucker for sci-fi though. Generally thought the story was pretty damn good.

I know this is an unpopular opinion but in terms of overall gameplay, story, and ending -- I think 9 is my top pick. I walked away from that game totally satisfied.

Tuconots
    Anti-fad haters can suck it. 6-7-8-9 all in my top 20 favorite games. 10 and 12? meeeeeehhh. Never played 13 or 13-2

Registered User The Noble Savage's Avatar
    Tuconots
    7 - 6 - 10 then the rest fall in random places. I think the reason I rate 10 above some others is that summons became more than just a damage spell with fancy animations and became monsters in and of themselves. Was a nice addition to the system. Oh and 8 is dead last. Fuck that garbage.

I haven't played any FF past 10, I just got fed up with JRPGs, so no input on anything past that one.

Oh and Chrono Trigger ahead of every FF easy. That game was a goddamn masterpiece.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Jait View Post
    10 was pretty good too, fuck the haters.
    I really enjoyed 10, probably one of my favorites, though I do feel that that's also the point where Square-Enix started taking the series in the wrong direction.

Tuconots
    13 was aids, and no way am i touching 13-2 or 13-3 unless 3 links up to versus.
    Forsakyn 100 Rogue
    League of Legends Meta Source

Xbox, PSN, Steam, Origin - Xexx01

Tuconots
    I really only like the SNES ones too. 4 is my favorite, but I haven't played any past 8 except the online one. The first one on NES is pretty good, but primitive by today's standards. All of the 3D ones have been so far off the mark of what I liked in Final Fantasy, I don't even pay much attention to the series anymore.

Tuconots
    I didn't play 12 or 13 but it's clear everyone's favorite has the rose goggles for their true entry into the series. Anyone saying 4>6 is definitely using the goggles. Anyone saying 7>* is using the goggles. Personally I prefer the games that had innate strengths to each character and not each character can be anything (7 and 10 being the worst offenders). In 7 everyone was the same because it came down to materia, the only real differences were in limit breaks. In 10 about the same thing, everyone could go down all paths and the only difference was the truly unique ultimates. 8 was somewhat the same way in that (outside the final battle) it was all about summons and not as much about the characters although the card game was phenomenal. In the most subjective way possible 6 is by far the best game without exception. After that my next favorite would be 9 mostly for keeping the characters unique throughout and offering an outstanding FF experience. I can understand and empathize with the love for 7 but let's be honest; it was an above average FF game with outstanding graphics at the time and that's what drew in a large player base that would end up loving the franchise. I can understand why it's many a fans favorite but it is certainly not one of the best in the franchise. My personal list would be 6 > 9 > 7 > 10 > 4 > 8 > the rest. 10, 7, and 4 being close but 6 is easily my favorite and 9 being 2nd. Again I haven't played 12 and 13 so I can't comment on those.

Tuconots
    Wasn't Versus announced alongside the PS3? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I legitimately don't think it's ever going to be finished. Square just doesn't give enough of a shit anymore for anything that isn't fucking handheld.

Tuconots
    9 Was an excellent game. I never played 8 for which I have great regrets.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidlen View Post
    I liked 9 and 10. I think I played blitz ball as much as the actual game.
    I got lucky as fuck in Blitzball. Early on, one of the top forwards didn't resign with his team and I picked him up. It was easy mode for the entire game, that guy could score at will.

I've played 1-12 (minus 11), and I finished 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 10 & 12. I finished 1, 4, 6 and 7 multiple times. Not sure which is my favorite.

Tuconots
    yeah, this is what I have heard as well.
    Have not tried either though.

I also think 12 was pretty decent really too. (granted never finished it..)

As I said, I really feel credentials needs to come into play, due to rose colored as noted. I've notice the vast majority of 7 defenders, it was their first rpg.
    For me, it wasn't. Not even close. I'm 35 now. I did not play ultima's on PC at the time admittedly. Dragon warrior was my first prototypical jrpg. (aka a few text adventures, and roguelikes on the PC prior. but I don't think they count for this discussion directly) so won't include wizardy, shadowgates, etc. But pretty much you name it, played it.

So, personally, I had played Dragonwarrior 1-4. FF 1, 4,6, and emulated 5 and 3, startropics, crysalis, phantasy star 1-3, shining in the darkness 1-3, NES versions of Ultima, exodus, avatar,etc.
    Huge rpg fan. I played shit you probably never heard of. ghost lion, faria, etc. Snes lufia series, secret of manas, chronotrigger of course, mario rpg, earthbound , illusion of gaias series, breath of fire series, evo, y's, uncharted, 7th saga, romancing sages, etc.

Seriously, it would be harder to find an RPG thats been released or fan translated to english that I have not played.

Also, now I want to go play some of those again...
    Wonder if crysalis is on the nintendo store..
    Last edited by Caliane; 12-11-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Selix View Post

Star Trek is not even in the competition. Like a fleet of enterprises is required to bring down even one Star Destroyer or an Imperium frigate

i don't know Star Wars specs, but they are not that far behind 40k. And SW's FTL technology is much more reliable than Warptravel, So....dunno

and about Final Fantasy...sorry but Tifa's tits > all

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Enob View Post
    Personally I prefer the games that had innate strengths to each character and not each character can be anything
    Quote Originally Posted by Enob
    but 6 is easily my favorite
    Says he prefers games where each character is different, says his favorite final fantasy was the first one where every character was the same.

Tuconots
    Says he prefers games where each character is different, says his favorite final fantasy was the first one where every character was the same.
    Not sure if serious, 3 & 5 used the profession system where every character could do the same stuff.

Tuconots
    That annoyed me about 12. its one of the things that kindof pissed me off about it.
    12 advertised a free form class system, a return to the old style.
    But it was a lie. The grid system suggested it was possible. But if you started building down the wrong path you gimped yourself.
    I made that mistake with Fran at first. When you first get her, in the mine, I was like, man my party could use a mage. So, I started building her down that way, having her learn spells. But later, when I got Ashe, I noticed something. Ashe was WAY stronger with the same spells. why? Because Ashe has higher base int.

so they made this grid system that lets you build characters as you want. But only have 1 valid path. Fran is an archer. her best weapon is a bow, and her stats enforce this. This is a conflicting design.

It should be noted this is one of the wrpg vs jrpg traits really. The terminology is a bit weird of course. Jrpg is really a style, theme. not really a genre, and certainly not region locked.
    Dragon warriors are known for having raw classes for the most part. the main character often gets "hero", while everyone else is completely player created. (older ones anyway) 8 was for example a more traditional jrpg with specific characters.

Tuconots
    Yeah, the massive FF12 thread went into the nitty gritty on why Penelo/Vaan/Ashe were just simply better characters at endgame than the rest. It was open form for the majority of the game, but when you started hitting the higher level hunts (anything 45+) and especially around 70 (Gilgamesh et al) the other three guys taper off fairly fast. Hell, I definitely remember Basch being mediocre from the get go since his slightly higher defensive shit didn't really matter from the moment you get him. I definitely remember using Baltheir and Ashe for the majority of the story portions of the game, but switched to Vaan/Ashe/Penelo when work needed doing. Hell, the primary things you needed on characters were just the Mist deals for 90% of the game. Going super sayajin for 15 hits of AE rape trivialized most content. Anyway...

I liked FF12 mechanically and artistically, the story was pretty meh. FF13 for the same reasons. In order, 6/9 > 4 > 10 > 12/13 > 7. 8 sucked donkey balls. The first couple of games are good for the time but hilarious to play through nowadays. The fact I sat through the mindnumbingly slow combat in FF1 without the aid of speedup via emulation is more a testament to youth than it is to being a great game. Haven't played through 13-2 yet since I don't own any consoles for some reason. Will rectify when I get one.

Statistically Significant khanable's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Maybe it is just me, but every character in FF12 looked the same to me. I kept mixing people up.

Tuconots
    yeah. you want a laugh. go play dragon warrior 1.

HOLY shit that menu combat.
    It almost boggles the mind, we ate that up. It is pretty much unplayable by modern standards.

Especially when we look at Legend of zelda. which really to this day holds up in gameplay.
    Even metroid. the orginal really is painful, after playing zero mission, super metroid etc.
    Last edited by Caliane; 12-11-2012 at 04:02 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by khanable View Post
    Maybe it is just me, but every character in FF12 looked the same to me. I kept mixing people up.
    Yeah, the palettes for everyone but Fran and Balthier were damn near identical if I remember right.

Tuconots
    12's Gambit system was pretty awesome.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Caliane View Post
    yeah. you want a laugh. go play dragon warrior 1.

HOLY shit that menu combat.
    It almost boggles the mind, we ate that up. It is pretty much unplayable by modern standards.

Especially when we look at Legend of zelda. which really to this day holds up in gameplay.
    Even metroid. the orginal really is painful, after playing zero mission, super metroid etc.
    I played DQ1 for the first time something like four or five years ago. It was enjoyable and you could already see the ability of Yji Horii to summon a lot of fiction with very little. It should be said though that my enjoyment was certainly boosted by playing it on an emulator at 400% speed and with a liberal use of save state.

Tuconots
    lol what's with all the people pretending 7 wasn't the best?

Registered User The Noble Savage's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Enob View Post
    I didn't play 12 or 13 but it's clear everyone's favorite has the rose goggles for their true entry into the series.

This has been repeated numerous times, and it seems disingenuous to me and just a means to dismiss alternate opinions. The first FF I played was 2 and I progressed from there.

If pressed, I'm not sure if I would be able to identify why I would rank 7 over 6. It's a near tie imo, with 7 just barely winning out. Perhaps it was the steam punk sci-fi setting vs the typical fantasy or the jump in graphics. They're both classics for me and I get twinges of nostalgia whenever I hear any of their soundtracks.

But again, if Chrono Trigger was allowed to be ranked with the FF series it takes first place easy, no question.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Haast View Post
    Not sure if serious, 3 & 5 used the profession system where every character could do the same stuff.
    Right because clearly everyone on the board played those before their PS1 releases. Oh wait thats right, FF3 never even came out on PS1, it wasn't available in America until the DS release in November of 2006. Piss off hipster.

Tuconots
    Roms.

I can't say I remember exactly when. I see a FF3 rom 1999, and a FF5 1998. FF7 was in 97, so the translations might have been after.
    Although, its also possible there were previous translations done prior, and newer ones done after.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager....=0&cId=3180292
    This 1up says the first FF 5 translation was in 1997.

If you are an rpg enthusiast, and have not played any fan translated games. man...
    A number have since been officially done of course. but back in the day. FF3, 5. Dragonwarriors 5 and 6. Secret of mana series, Mother
    Last edited by Caliane; 12-11-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Tuconots
    I never said fan translations didn't exist, but people who track those down to play them are definitely the exception, not the rule. I'm willing to bet the majority of the Square fans on this forum have never played Seiken Densetsu 3, despite it being a fantastic game that gets recommended every single time someone starts a 'list good old RPG games' thread.

Tuconots
    Let's get something straight here. FF3 is FF3, not FF6. There are real releases of the NES FF3 and there have been since 2006. FF6 has been released properly as FF6 in the US since 1999 on the PS1 and that is it's proper name. We will not be calling FF6 FF3, not when it's properly been released as FF6 in the States for 14 years and there's been a release of FF3 for almost 7 years.

Just sayin'. I know no one's done it, yet, but someone fucking will.
    Last edited by Sean; 12-11-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Tuconots
    FF6 characters are all the same, Haast. They can all use the same weapons and you can build them all the same with Espers. Espers is basically the pseudo-job system in FF6 and the characters are only different due to their single special skill. It's just like the FF7 system and Materia, every character is the same sans limit breaks.

FF1 - Pick a unique class at the beginning
    FF2 - No one can be assed to explain this horrible system
    FF3 - Job system
    FF4 - Unique Characters
    FF5 - Job system
    FF6 - Esper system + 1 special skill
    FF7 - Materia system + unique limit breaks
    FF8 - Junction system + unique limit breaks
    FF9 - Unique Characters
    FF10 - Sphere Grid + unique limit breaks
    FF10-2 - Job system
    FF12 - License board and screw you if you didn't use Ashe/Penelo/Vaan
    FF13 - Crystarium system
    FF13-2 - Crystarium system + monster party member

Basically the only games in the series with characters that you couldn't all build to be basically identical were 4, 9, and to an extent 1.
    Last edited by Sean; 12-11-2012 at 07:23 PM.

Tuconots
    I played a translation rom of Final Fantasy 5 before Final Fantasy Anthology came out. It was actually the release of that that I discovered emulation in the first place. I didn't get very far since the emulator I had didn't support transparency and there is an underwater part early on.

Here is a blog I have in my RSS feeds where he goes through and compares the various translations of FF4. It's not super compelling, but kind of interesting to read the differences with the weird stuff like Spoony Bard.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Haast
    So what you're saying is, you were wrong?
    It's really cute how you deleted your post when you realized that you were a fucking moron.

Quote Originally Posted by xrg View Post
    I played a translation rom of Final Fantasy 5 before Final Fantasy Anthology came out. It was actually the release of that that I discovered emulation in the first place. I didn't get very far since the emulator I had didn't support transparency and there is an underwater part early on.

Here is a blog I have in my RSS feeds where he goes through and compares the various translations of FF4. It's not super compelling, but kind of interesting to read the differences with the weird stuff like Spoony Bard.
    This is interesting, but the fact that he apparently didn't have the time/inclination to include the DS remake is disappointing, because I think the changes to the dialogue for the DS remake are fantastic. I mean they basically rewrote it from scratch, but THEY KEPT SPOONY BARD!
    Last edited by Sparklerad; 12-11-2012 at 07:27 PM.

Tuconots
    FF6 characters are all the same, Haast. They can all use the same weapons and you can build them all the same with Espers. Espers is basically the pseudo-job system in FF6 and the characters are only different due to their single special skill. It's just like the FF7 system and Materia, every character is the same sans limit breaks.

FF1 - Pick a unique class at the beginning
    FF2 - No one can be assed to explain this horrible system
    FF3 - Job system
    FF4 - Unique Characters
    FF5 - Job system
    FF6 - Esper system + 1 special skill
    FF7 - Materia system + unique limit breaks
    FF8 - Junction system + unique limit breaks
    FF9 - Unique Characters
    FF10 - Sphere Grid + unique limit breaks
    FF10-2 - Job system
    FF12 - License board and screw you if you didn't use Ashe/Penelo/Vaan
    FF13 - Crystarium system
    FF13-2 - Crystarium system + monster party member

Basically the only games in the series with characters that you couldn't all build to be basically identical were 4, 9, and to an extent 1.
    Sorry Sean. I killed the previous post because I didn't feel like discussing it further. You're right, you can build them all the same with careful planning and a shitload of grinding, which I did on one play-through.

Tuconots
    It's really cute how you deleted your post when you realized that you were a fucking moron.
    I deleted it because I didn't feel like discussing it further. You are still wrong. Feel free to continue being wrong.

Tuconots
    Hey man, discussing the nuances of the character systems in these games is great discussion. Gavitard is just a pretty volatile jackass, don't let him bait you too much.

I think FF6 goes both ways a bit - most of the characters you ended up just using special equipment or esper skills that anyone could use and their unique skills didn't really mean a whole lot. Others like Gau are totally different beasts that were monsters because of their special skills.

The Limit Break games also have a similar setup. Characters in them are pretty interchangable through most of the game until you get to a part where you can chain limit breaks which makes others stand above the rest. Cloud/Tifa/Yufie in 7, Squall/Rinoa/Quistis in 8, Tidus/Yuna/Wakka in 10.

10's quite a bit different though, because every character is pretty unique due to to Sphere Grid locks for most of the game and has a great feel to making characters feel necessary, especially with the in battle swapping. Then it gets to a point where they're all the same for a while deep in when it starts unlocking, then a while after the Limit Break setups destroy everything else.

Tuconots
    Yeah, I was pretty firmly in the 'Gau totally sucks' camp for the longest time, until I read a guide and found out what I was missing. I mean, I knew he had one or two solid rages, but I never knew the overpowered glory of Stray Cat, or the game breaking Nightshade.

I mean it's sorta disingenuous to say they were all the same in FF6, because that really wasn't the case until the last 1/4th of the game or so. Prior to that, the higher innate magic attribute of Terra, Celes, and Relm (but seriously, fuck Relm) made a pretty big difference. Similarly, the awesomeness of Edgar's tools was hard to argue, I always had trouble excluding Locke because FF6 was the first one where you can pretty consistently get good shit from stealing (plus Locke is far and away the strongest character at end game). Shadow is pretty badass in the WoB, but he sucks pretty hard in the WoR. Cyan pretty much always sucks because sword techs aren't even vaguely powerful enough to justify how long they take to charge, Setzer is a joke and would be the worst character by far if it weren't for Umaro and Gogo having a battle to the death for that honor. Mog is actually way better than people give him credit for because the Moogle Charm rocks, and you can just give him the dragoon relics to make him a strong damage dealer.

Tuconots
    Hey man, discussing the nuances of the character systems in these games is great discussion. Gavitard is just a pretty volatile jackass, don't let him bait you too much.
    Yeah, I should probably know better. He's good at what he does, I guess.

I think FF6 goes both ways a bit - most of the characters you ended up just using special equipment or esper skills that anyone could use and their unique skills didn't really mean a whole lot. Others like Gau are totally different beasts that were monsters because of their special skills.
    If you don't put in the time to get numerous high end weapons (like Atmas), gem boxes, economizers and max your stats through high end leveling with the right espers in FF6, the characters remain different. FF6 opened the door for making your characters good at everything with enough effort. FF7 gave it more of a purpose with the endgame Weapon battles.

Tuconots
    Yeah, it's really not black & white - especially in various stages of the game. Certain characters definitely stand out, like Gavitard said. I do think that most of them are pretty much throwaways though where their skills don't really matter. 13 is similar in that characters are unique for most of the game and only really the same in the end-game.

7 and 8 are the opposite of 6/13 and everyone is pretty much the same until the end game where you can chain limit breaks.

Job System games, 3/5/10-2/13-2, are really beasts of their own.

Tuconots
    Job System games, 3/5/10-2/13-2, are really beasts of their own.
    I had a really hard time getting into the job system games. Paralyzed by choice, if you will.

Tuconots
    Final Fantasy Tactics is best Final Fantasy. Need moar reboots plox.

Tuconots
    Gogo is pretty lethal in the right party.

I don't remember the exact setup, but I had Terra dual wielding some swords, doing I think 4 hits for ~9999ish damage. One was Atma Weapon, which irrc had damage based on your max health - I forget what the other sword was. Anyway, Gogo would mimic it as if he had the exact same equipment and basically double it. I think there was a trick with duplicating magic spells in a similar way.

Tuconots
    Alternately, you could use Locke with Atma Weapon/Valiant Knife for 8 quad 9s a round, and not bother with shitty shitty Gogo.

Tuconots
    As a true euro hardcore gamer of the '90s, I played through the SNES Final Fantasies with the japanese originals (I know there were strong Japanese games import scenes in France and Germany too - was it anything like that in the US?). As it was in the pre-internet age, it was all about collective problem solving and very very basic text deciphering. Anyway, going from IV to V was a big disappointment as far a characters go: the Shakespearean epic turned into a steady group of guys that can be anything... The job system de-characterize the characters. The bigger cast of malleable but initially clearly defined characters of FFVI fixed some of that.

Tuconots
    Alternately, you could use Locke with Atma Weapon/Valiant Knife for 8 quad 9s a round, and not bother with shitty shitty Gogo.
    Couldn't Gogo mimic that too? I haven't played that game since it came out so I don't recall all the items and rules very well anymore.

Tuconots
    Final Fantasy 12 international: zodiac job system was a huge upgrade to that game. Read up on how to hack the ISO together and play it emulated.

Tuconots
    Yeah but she wouldn't be hitting near as hard. The main reason Gogo sucked ass was that she couldn't equip Espers, which meant she couldn't get level bonuses. FF6 mime was not nearly as strong as FF5 or FF7 mime.

Rape Culture Enthusiast Dr. Mario Speedwagon's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Gogo was a chick?!? I'VE BEEN HAD AGAIN!

Tuconots
    Thanks for the breakdown.

I'm partial to FF4 since I got it day one on SNES. I've owned them all but most after FF7 have put me at odds with the franchise. I think they've really gotten away from what made the series to begin with. The more "realistic" the FF game the more I shy away from it. However, a lot of people seemed to have a problem with FF9 when they tried to go back towards the older formula. Maybe it's just nostalgia over the SNES RPG glory days that I long for.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Mario Speedwagon View Post
    Gogo was a chick?!? I'VE BEEN HAD AGAIN!
    There are some loose implications that Gogo is Daryl. It's a real thin theory, but it got me in the habit of referring to Gogo as a female.

The problem with FF9 was not that they tried to go back towards the older formula, the problem was that the game was just bland and shitty. Also forgettable since I have only a vague recollection of what went on and every time I try and remember I confuse the main character with Vaan from FF12. The only character I remember for certain is Vivi, and thats only because of the whole black mage shtick and also because he was in Kingdom Hearts 2.

Tuconots
    Reminder: FFIX was the last real FF game and FFVIII was the predecessor and direct cause of all the terribleness that was XI onwards.

lord of all he surveys Pancreas's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Lets see, FF4 was the first final fantasy I played. I had a friend that owned the game but had never beaten it. He had gotten a few hours in when the cartridge lost it's memory, console got kicked or something, and hadn't picked it back up. His birthday rolls around and he was having a big party at his house that lasted all weekend. This was back in... 4th or 5th grade mind you. We get to talking about video games and FF4 comes up and he mentions that he's never beaten it. Another one of his friends is like, "duude it's so awesome, here I'll show you".

We proceed to start a brand new game and just took turns playing. Everyone he invited to the party was hanging out in the living room just watching and reading. We end up setting camp there and just sat in front of this huge console television that weighed more than a smart car for the next two days. His parents were awesome and kept bringing in snacks and there were like 8 people all just following along. His friend had already beaten the game and so was there to basically give us directions an hints. But everyone was pretty much along for the story anyways.

It was cool, people were just joking and talking about what was going to happen. When Palom and Porom got turned to stone, people were legitimately sad. When Rydia disappeared into the maelstrom everyone was like, oh crap! When Cecil became a paladin I was irritated because I thought he looked cooler as a dark knight. And finally when Golbez comes in at the end and actually helps save the world, people were like "it's like star wars." "Yay for Darth Golbez". So yeah that will always be my favorite because nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

I have played the rest except for 10, 11, 13 and 14. I was intrigued by 13 versus, and would still like to play it whenever it comes out. But at this point I have stopped holding my breath.
    Last edited by Pancreas; 12-11-2012 at 10:06 PM.

Tuconots
    I liked Gogo. S/he could one shot Kefka.

Last edited by Zulst; 12-11-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Tuconots
    Yeah FF4 and FF6 did have some striking resemblances to bits of Star Wars, but that's probably mainly due to Star Wars being nothing but fantasy cliches.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulst View Post
    I liked Gogo. S/he could one shot Kekfa.

Yeah, except you had to break the fuck out of the game to get possess on Gogo. Doesn't it involve playing all the way through to the floating continent without saving, and then dying, so it kicks you back to Narshe but you still have the airship?
    Last edited by Sparklerad; 12-11-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Tuconots
    Best Final Fantasy is obviously Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.

Tuconots
    Yeah, except you had to break the fuck out of the game to get possess on Gogo. Doesn't it involve playing all the way through to the floating continent without saving, and then dying, so it kicks you back to Narshe but you still have the airship?
    Yeah. After reading that let's play of the guy who did it, I gave it a try and it was a lot of tedious bullshit. Would not recommend.

Tuconots
    Tons of ways to break the game.

Gogo was in ff5 btw. so, all those attempts to try creating an identity in FF6 are silly.

The 8 hit genji glove/offering swords were atma and Ragnarok/illumina

Also, considering gear was not universal, only spells and espers were, I would put FF6 back into the having set classes department. you had some leeway of course.

But the atma/rag thing for example, Celes, locke, terra or edgar only.
    Celes was my favorite.
    Last edited by Caliane; 12-11-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Tuconots
    Tons of ways to break the game.

Gogo was in ff5 btw. so, all those attempts to try creating an identity in FF6 are silly.

The 8 hit genji glove/offering swords were atma and Ragnarok/illumina

Also, considering gear was not universal, only spells and espers were, I would put FF6 back into the having set classes department. you had some leeway of course.

But the atma/rag thing for example, Celes, locke, terra or edgar only.
    Celes was my favorite.
    Except Ragnarok/Illumina had its damage cut just like everything else when you equip the Master's Scroll, and the consume MP for an autocrit is disabled, and I'm pretty sure they can't even proc Flare or Holy. Valiant Knife works the same way as Atma, except its supposed to be when Locke's HPs are low that it's damage increases. The thing is, when you have his Strength and level high enough, Valiant Knife quad 9s even when he's at full hps, and just like Atma, will still rock full quads even with a Master's Scroll.

Ragnarok/Illumina is best used as a stat sword on someone like Celes or Terra.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyros View Post
    Best Final Fantasy is obviously Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.
    I actually liked Mystic Quest.

SPECIAL BEAM CANNON
    Tuconots
    It's not a FF thread without a link to the Rise and Fall of Final Fantasy

http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=patff

I especially like his FF11 experience.

Tuconots
    FFTactics had significant grinding, but i ate that shit up. Power break.. chakra.. power break.. chakra... story was 10/10. characters 10/10. beaten it several times.

it broke my heart to learn they made a kiddie story for the sequel (advance). kids are in a snowball fight and it goes from there? just couldn't get into it. it broke my FFTactics fanboy heart.

Tuconots
    Best friend had a subscription to Nintendo Power back in the day, and we saw the info for Final Fantasy 1 and both geeked out over it. Bought it on release day and played it a ton, making different parties and all that good stuff. Still easily in my top 10 games of all time. Just such a fun game. Sure it doesn't age quite as well as some other games of the time, but I can still enjoy a replay here and there, trying a different combo or whatnot.

Other favorites were 4 and 5. 7 was great, loved that it was released on PC as I didn't have a PS, but I didn't get into it as much as I did 4 and 5 (or 1). I'm quite certain I'll now get flamed to hell and back.

Haven't played much of the games after 7. Played a bit of 8, maybe an hour or so of 10 and 13.

Banned
    Tuconots
    Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. Best game in series.

Seriously though, that game was the one in the series that pissed me off the most. I never could finish 9 or 10 and haven't tried any of the newer ones.
    Last edited by Flunklesnarkin; 12-12-2012 at 04:52 AM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Proc View Post
    FFTactics had significant grinding, but i ate that shit up. Power break.. chakra.. power break.. chakra... story was 10/10. characters 10/10. beaten it several times.

it broke my heart to learn they made a kiddie story for the sequel (advance). kids are in a snowball fight and it goes from there? just couldn't get into it. it broke my FFTactics fanboy heart.
    I never played the PlayStation or GBA versions, but I seriously loved FFTactics A2 on the DS. That easily had to be one of the DS games I spent the most time with.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantatus View Post
    I never played the PlayStation or GBA versions, but I seriously loved FFTactics A2 on the DS. That easily had to be one of the DS games I spent the most time with.
    so I found the rom... I've associated Advance (1 and 2) with kiddie stupidity... but

I'll give this one a shot.

Tuconots
    Except Ragnarok/Illumina had its damage cut just like everything else when you equip the Master's Scroll, and the consume MP for an autocrit is disabled, and I'm pretty sure they can't even proc Flare or Holy. Valiant Knife works the same way as Atma, except its supposed to be when Locke's HPs are low that it's damage increases. The thing is, when you have his Strength and level high enough, Valiant Knife quad 9s even when he's at full hps, and just like Atma, will still rock full quads even with a Master's Scroll.

Ragnarok/Illumina is best used as a stat sword on someone like Celes or Terra.
    What the fuck is a Master's Scroll?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ancient View Post
    What the fuck is a Master's Scroll?
    The quad attack item. Some versions call it the Offering.

Tuconots
    I really don't get how SquareEnix or w/e the fuck they're called now know that we all love FF7 (well most of us), know we really dislike the new trend in their FF's, but yet keep shoving the same shit down our throats. Is George Lucas involved somehow?

Tuconots
    I never said fan translations didn't exist, but people who track those down to play them are definitely the exception, not the rule. I'm willing to bet the majority of the Square fans on this forum have never played Seiken Densetsu 3, despite it being a fantastic game that gets recommended every single time someone starts a 'list good old RPG games' thread.
    SD3 is probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite RPG on the SNES (#1 being Lufia2). SD3 is a really flawed, but it is shit loads of fun and the re-playability is high. I'm a sucker for customization. However, the combat system is broke, Job changes happen wayy too late, and they all but removed the random drops of Secret of Mana (one of the best parts!).

The combat system rewards you for never using offensive magic or any attack beyond the basic attack and level 1 power-up. Enemies are set to use their abilities as a counter to any magic or level 2+ attack thrown their way. So you can avoid any deadly mob attack by simply not using your stronger (well, higher level) abilities or magic.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Heartbrand View Post
    I really don't get how SquareEnix or w/e the fuck they're called now know that we all love FF7 (well most of us), know we really dislike the new trend in their FF's, but yet keep shoving the same shit down our throats. Is George Lucas involved somehow?
    I think you left out some words and punctuation there.

Short version: This is happening because a lot of the core of the old Final Fantasy creators left Square-Enix after Final Fantasy X (which was a great game) and started their own studio called Mistwalker: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistwalker

They went on to make two X360 games: Blue Dragon (which was fairly good) and Lost Odyssey (which was fantastic). They also made some forgettable DS games and their latest product was a so-so Wii game called Last Story that barely made it over to the states (and it was a terrible mistake to make it on the Wii). I truly hope they come back to making Xbox/PlayStation RPGs, because they did some great work there.

I do think that their leaving has had an impact on the studio. It feels like since they left that Square has been way too focused on Handheld games and not enough on big console RPG experiences. There's no Kingdom Hearts 3 in sight, Tetsuya Normua is taking WAY too long to put out FFVs13 (which better be fucking amazing, but his work usually is), and Square's best game since they left is Final Fantasy XIII-2 and that wasn't even actually fully developed by Square, it was co-developed with tri-Ace.

Hopefully the conclusion to the FFXIII trilogy, Lightning Returns, turns out at least as good as FFXIII-2 did. I'm a little shaky about this one though, because it sounds like it takes heavily from Majora's Mask's time-system and it's hard to make something like that work right and be truly enjoyable.

Tuconots
    I just checked and as far as japanese gamers go (a least Famitsu readers who rate their all time favorite games), the top three FF are first X, second VII and third XII.

Tuconots
    but they are giving you what you way. You liked 7. so they gave you more of that. 8, 10, 12, 13.

The people that liked 1-6, got 9.
    And Dragonquest 7-10. and remakes of 5 and 6.

What trend do you think those newer FF have that wasn't started in 7?
    Last edited by Caliane; 12-12-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Tuconots
    but they are giving you what you way. You liked 7. so they gave you more of that. 8, 10, 12, 13.

The people that liked 1-6, got 9.
    And Dragonquest 7-10. and remakes of 5 and 6.

What trend do you think those newer FF have that wasn't started in 7?
    What happened to open worlds? The ability to basically go anywhere you wanted, often times going somewhere way too difficult by accident. What happened to meaningful side quests? The ability to actually control all the characters in your party? Something cool like the materia system, or the FF8 combat, or even FFX? What happened to the cool music? Why do all the new FF's take place in futuristic looking societies? (Yes I know FF7 had some aspects of this but it also had many of the traditional RPG type characters and locations as well). What happened to antagonists you gave a fuck about? Sephiroth / Kefka? Where are the options? In FF6 and 7 there were optional characters that you didn't have to get, where your decisions in the game determined if they joined you or not. I dunno, when I played FF13 it just felt like I was watching a movie and hitting the X button to continue at certain points.

Tuconots
    Seriously, FFXIII-2, give it a fucking shot. It uses so much of the good shit Square has done before and it really comes together well. It's a completely different game than the abomination that was FFXIII that soured everyone's opinions of Square so much.

Tuconots
    FF7 would have been Tactics level of good if the story stayed focused on Midgar/Shinra. I personally felt that the Shinra Company was a much better villain than Sephiroth. Throughout the entire game, the party sees Shinra fucking over every town in the world, but we remember the guy who killed some dumb slut that no one used in their party anyways.

FF8 suffered from a similar fate where the first disk is fantastic, but the plot just goes to shit after that (in before Squall died theory).

Tuconots
    There's a Squall died theory?

Where do people come up with this crap?

Tuconots
    What does FFXIII-2 do differently that merits a play through? I hated FFXIII fyi.

Tuconots
    FF3 (FF6 in Japan) was the best game I ever played. Next would be Earthbound then EQ.

Tuconots
    I love FF3 but it is missing that really difficult optional side quest content. I don't really remember any particularly difficult fights, other than perhaps that boss of the tower where you can't use any magic.

Tuconots
    FF3 Opera Scene had more emotion on a 16 bit platform than anything I've seen in today's games. Maybe it was because I was a kid but I was totally immersed into that game.

Quote Originally Posted by scal View Post
    FF7 would have been Tactics level of good if the story stayed focused on Midgar/Shinra. I personally felt that the Shinra Company was a much better villain than Sephiroth. Throughout the entire game, the party sees Shinra fucking over every town in the world, but we remember the guy who killed some dumb slut that no one used in their party anyways.

FF8 suffered from a similar fate where the first disk is fantastic, but the plot just goes to shit after that (in before Squall died theory).
    DUDE I TOTALLY AGREE. Shinra was fucking badass. I remember thinking Rufus was a better bad guy than emo Sephiroth. Fucking love his music too.

Tuconots
    What does FFXIII-2 do differently that merits a play through? I hated FFXIII fyi.
    For starters, it's not a bunch of linear hallways. It has good zone maps that have a fair bit of exploration to them.

The job system it uses is also fully open from the get-go. You can level any class you want on Noel and Serah right away. How you level up the classes is a bit tweaked too - it's sort of like a linear sphere grid that you move through that repeats itself with bigger and smaller bonuses, but the class you currently are set as determines those bonuses and you can change your class at will. It works really well.

You still only control one character at a time like in FFXIII and it uses the FFXIII battle system, but unlike FFXIII you can swap between your lead party member in combat and aren't locked to someone.

Your third party member slot is for Monsters that you capture and raise. They each have their own specific classes and ability sets. You can also fuse them together to give a monster abilities of other monsters and it's a really fun system to play with.

There's no world map, but there's a Time Gate system like Chrono Trigger uses and it is pretty damned awesome. There's a ton of time jumping around and there's some cool changes between areas in different periods. There's also a bunch of Chrono Trigger-like "What If" endings you can play through by going back and doing specific things in different eras post game. Bosses you can fight again doing different things, etc.

There's tons of hidden shit to find and explore as well. Hidden monsters, puzzles and repairing time fissures, etc.

Oh, and they actually manged to make Hope pretty damned cool. He grew up quite a bit.
    Last edited by Sean; 12-12-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Tuconots
    There's a Squall died theory?

Where do people come up with this crap?
    http://squallsdead.com/

I think it's a way for people to justify liking FF8 (which, admittedly, has good game play) in spite of the tween story with a hundred plot holes.

Tuconots
    What happened to open worlds? The ability to basically go anywhere you wanted, often times going somewhere way too difficult by accident. What happened to meaningful side quests? The ability to actually control all the characters in your party? Something cool like the materia system, or the FF8 combat, or even FFX? What happened to the cool music? Why do all the new FF's take place in futuristic looking societies? (Yes I know FF7 had some aspects of this but it also had many of the traditional RPG type characters and locations as well). What happened to antagonists you gave a fuck about? Sephiroth / Kefka? Where are the options? In FF6 and 7 there were optional characters that you didn't have to get, where your decisions in the game determined if they joined you or not. I dunno, when I played FF13 it just felt like I was watching a movie and hitting the X button to continue at certain points.
    8, and 10 had world maps.
    Also, 7 you spent the first 30% in Midgar. So yeah, that no map stuff. 7. (and persona)
    Character control. yeah, thats a weird one. comes and goes in various series. Most of the dragon quests do this shit too for some reason.
    Music. The composer went freelance after FF 8. He did a song or two, generally main themes for each. And worked on 11 heavily. yeah hes on 14 again. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobuo_Uematsu
    Sephiroth was a cardboard cutout. he was not a character at all. Seriously, shinra was a million times more flushed out.

Tuconots
    8 was aite, the only thing i remember being cool was the assassination attempt in the beginning of the game going to hell and the two gardens crashing into each other was pretty epic too.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Traak View Post
    FF3 Opera Scene had more emotion on a 16 bit platform than anything I've seen in today's games. Maybe it was because I was a kid but I was totally immersed into that game.
    I was at the 25 year Anniversary of FF concert in Chicago last week. Was pretty awesome how they did the Opera scene. There were 3 opera singers (Maria, Draco, and Prince Ralse), a narrator, the orchestra (of course), and a giant screen that showed a playthrough of the Opera Scene in FF6.

My favorite scene as a kid was always in FF4 when Golbez comes after Calabrena and fucks you up. Then right before Cecil is about to eat it, MYST DRAGON OUT OF NOWHERE MOTHERFUCKER - ITS RYDIA AND SHE'S BACK TO BE THE BEST CHARACTER IN THE GAME. I get a huge erection just thinking about that part.

Tuconots
    Ya to be honest a lot of my hate is directed @ 13

Tuconots
    I think the last RPG I played that I actually got caught up in the story was Suikoden for the PS. I remember when Gremio got trapped in some room or something and died a horrible death. I was like WTF!

Tuconots
    http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-...dp/B003O6JIVE/

$18.32 for the PS3 version, $17.25 for the X360 version on Amazon. They're pretty much identical and each only a single disc since it uses mostly in-game cutscenes and isn't loaded with absurdly huge pre-rendered CG scenes.

There's also a bunch of costume and coliseum DLC for it, but it's all pretty overpriced. I'd say wait for an edition that includes all of it packed in with the game, but I doubt they're going to ever do one. Some of the coliseum stuff is worth it for the characters you can get as monster party members, but it's all really late or post-game stuff.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/L...adable_Content
    Last edited by Sean; 12-12-2012 at 10:44 PM.

Tuconots
    Squeenix games half off on their site right now.

http://store.na.square-enix.com/stor...gn=holidaysale

Tuconots
    I need a hat for samwise

Thread Information