Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do?

Tuconots

What do you do?

Reading through the other forums, specifically the job listings forum, and became decidedly curious. Since the forum is new, the community base has been around for quite some time, but there seems to be a desire to expand it; why not open the flood gates?

Be as descriptive or vague as you're comfortable with.

Where do you work?

What do you do? (Title/keywords)

What field/industry?

Wages?

Bonuses/SEP?

Benefits?

I'll leave out the where, for now.
    I'm pretty much a step below a supervisor.
    Construction/fabrication.
    With OT (of which there is a lot) I'm bringing in ~$1,500 a week
    SEP (Shared Earnings Program) is dished out every year as long as the company makes so much. All employees share like 1% of the profit or some such.
    Medical/Dental/Vision, FMLA, Short and Long Term disability, 401k - plus we can buy company stock every pay period.

Like a bull's walt... Nostrovia's Avatar
    Tuconots
    I'm a GS13
    I work on and handle HAZMAT for F-22's and the F-35.
    Military/Government
    100k/year
    Salary/Pay raise every year (upon review)
    OT, holiday

Dental, health, vision, life, short/long term disability, government retirement.

It's a great job, only down side to it... I work graves. 9:30pm to 7am. I do get every Friday off, so a 3 day weekend every week.

My wife does financing for charter schools
    $12/hr
    Finance/Educational
    Not entirely sure what all her details are, but her and her step-dad also have a house flipping business on the side.
    Last edited by Nostrovia; 12-09-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Tuconots
    I manually masturbate farm animals for artificial insemination.

Tuconots
    My job is a shitty wage slave in the wonderfully exciting world of government IT contracting.

My profession is an ESL teacher. I'm doing a masters program now and I'll most likely be going abroad (again) to work in 2013.

Tuconots
    I am a retail manager by trade.

I have experience in gas stations and convenience stores (without gas) but the greatest job I had was when I managed a used game store and competed with GameStop.
    I helped open a number of stores, our prices were good and we gave a better trade in than GameStop, I would usually introduce the company to the community by telling customers what their trade in price would be, asking them to select a game and sending them to GameStop before they completed their transaction. Every single time they would return with their stack of games with he same predictable results I gave a higer trade in value and the game they wanted to buy cost less. GameStop eventually won out in the end as they bought our company and made us get rid of NES, SNES, Genesis, Dreamcast, N64 and PSone games. Above all else N64 and PSone were our bread and butter as they were cheap and traded frequently, the same customer often buying back their own games repeatedly and trading them when they needed more money for the latest in next gen, GameStop is to this day the only job I have ever walked out on and I did not even consider giving notice an option though I usually give a month to two months notice when leaving a job; I find everything about the company reprehensible.

When I ran that game store I hired an 18 year old kid that kept calling me sir, I called him Anthony for a month before he finally informed me that it wasn't his name, his correct name being on the rather large name tag I had made for him swinging from a lanyard around his neck. I laughed my ass off for about a year about that.
    He introduced me to FOHSS and I made him a manager.
    He is more likely to call me asshole than sir now and I prefer it that way.
    Last edited by Jefferson; 12-09-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Tuconots
    Heh, I worked for Gamestop for 8 years(mid 90s to early 2000s, First Software Etc, then Babbages, then Gamestop). Started as a part time job in highschool and kept the part time job through college, then became an assistant manager, manager, area manager, and district manager by the time I quit.

Pay was total shit back then. As a manager I started at like 22K(this was around 1999) and when I quit as a District Manager in 2004 I was still only making 38K.

I have a degree in Computer Science, minor in Mathematics from Mizzou, but I hate it. Hate, hate, hate it. I figured out I hated it around my Junior year of college, but at that point I didn't want to start over on another degree, I just wanted to get done because I pretty much new I wanted to go into sales after school and I didn't really need any particular degree for that. I enjoy working with people and while I love computers and gaming, I can't stand working all day long with little or no human interaction, it just bores me to tears. So now I'm an insurance agent. I actually work for my father who has been an insurance agent for over 30 years, and I'll be taking over his agency when he retires in about 5 years.

Right now the pay isn't the greatest(50K before bonuses, which can some years get me closer to 60K and I wouldnt be making that much if it weren't my father that was paying me), but that should instantly triple the day I take over my fathers agency. Of course, I'll also have many added expenses of paying a secretary, office rent, etc, but I'm looking forward to it. I do miss the managerial aspect of Gamestop, hiring my own staff & managers, and I look forward to being able to do that again while not being in the hell-hole that is retail.

My wife works for Bank of America and she's a branch assistant manager. She came from a retail background as well, she was a manager for Old Navy, Gymboree, and Dillards. She pretty much doesn't want to move up, as it is the managers that get fired and transferred regularly. She makes $22 an hour, and also has all the health benefits for us since I am self employed, so she's planning on staying there as long as she can.

So yeah, we're pretty much the axis of evil, lol. Everyone hates BoA and Gamestop, and Insurance companies.
    Last edited by joeboo; 12-09-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    When I ran that game store I hired an 18 year old kid that kept calling me sir, I called him Anthony for a month before he finally informed me that it wasn't his name, his correct name being on the rather large name tag I had made for him swinging from a lanyard around his neck. I laughed my ass off for about a year about that.

He is more likely to call me asshole than sir now and I prefer it that way.
    God, I'm glad I'm not the only person that does this. I don't do hires/fires but I am responsible for the oversight of subordinates -- usually young women. Over time I've come up with a rule -- if I get a hold of one that is overly respectful I'll start calling them by the wrong name. I've only had to do it a few times, and it REALLY fucked with one little girl. lol. But the others caught on after a while and realized what I was telling them.

It's just amusing.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Iannis View Post
    God, I'm glad I'm not the only person that does this. I don't do hires/fires but I am responsible for the oversight of subordinates -- usually young women. Over time I've come up with a rule -- if I get a hold of one that is overly respectful I'll start calling them by the wrong name. I've only had to do it a few times, and it REALLY fucked with one little girl. lol. But the others caught on after a while and realized what I was telling them.

It's just amusing.
    Lol, I didn't do it on purpose. I have a great difficulty remembering names, and I had an employee named Anthony prior to this and the new persons name also began with an A. I have no issue with a respectful tone, he was nervous when I interviewed him because he had only come in to get an application and was wearing flip-flops and a tee shirt and was not expecting a spot interview. My district manager was not impressed and told me to hire him only if I had no other applicants but he was a complete tool that nobody respected. I got the best assistant manager I have ever had by hiring him and I sent him on to a store that had fallen into utter chaos and he brought it back into line.... more or less. I had a very real fear anytime I visited his store that I would run into a certain employee with a Fedor like quality, and the door to the back room was his spoiler alert.

another example of this in my life;
    I would live in fear while in a long distance relationship with the woman who would become my wife, I would forget her name or supplant it with that of her friend whom she was traveling with the weekend we met. I went to romantic comedy lengths during those conversations and dates to hide this twist of the mind that would kill any chance I would have of marrying her if it were discovered. How absurd is it that a man will drive 1200 miles every other weekend for a year and he, on occasion, can not even recall the name of the object of his obsession?
    Last edited by Jefferson; 12-10-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Tuconots
    software developer
    misc small govt/private contracts

Tuconots
    Where do you work?

I am the owner/operator of RB Logging and of RB Hauling.

I am a logger by trade. I also haul dirt and asphalt.

What field/industry?

forestry and construction

Wages?

I pulled in about 250k this year. Times have been hard since the economy went to hell around here.

Bonuses/SEP?

I get to ride around and get paid for it?

Benefits?

My family and I get to eat every night in a house I own?

Tuconots
    I'm a research scientist focusing on education and disability. I'm young (30 this year), make a salary in the high 50s, with full benefits and a pension. My best job perk is being able to dress casually every day (I'm currently at my desk in jeans and a Gwar t-shirt), and I telework one day a week.

Registered Dragonlord Deathwing's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulliver View Post
    Wages?

I pulled in about 250k this year. Times have been hard since the economy went to hell around here.

Bonuses/SEP?

I get to ride around and get paid for it?

Benefits?

My family and I get to eat every night in a house I own?
    Are you paying for your family's healthcare and all the other typical benefits to a salaried job? Otherwise, 250k during "tough times" looks kinda assholish.

As for me, I'm a test engineer in the MEMS industry. I write test code to make sure produced modules meet customer specifications for performance. I make 72k a year and my best job perk is the out of pocket maximum for any health care costs is $400/year. It might be fair for people to specify where they work, geographically. I live in Ithaca, NY, and I know I'd need bump to almost 110k just to break even in San Diego.

Tuconots
    Good point. I'm in Atlanta, with a suburban COL lower than just about any other major metro area in the country. I'd need to make double my current salary just to scrape by in Cali.

Tuconots
    Where do you work?
    Large Enterprise Data Warehouse Vendor

Big Data Enterprise Architect

What field/industry?
    IT Professional Services

Wages?
    130k in Saint Louis (Low cost of living)

Bonuses/SEP?
    16k target based on performance and hours

Benefits?
    Full Health,vision,dental,Roth 401k etc.

Life is pretty good now, the travel can be a pain but its about 40% of weekdays. Weekends are 100% mine including making sure I get home Friday nights. Lots of the perks are ok to, savings in food costs and expensed home office (internet, cell etc).

The job itself is a blast, professional services is the way to go for technologists and being able to work as an individual contributor and still make the bucks is great.
    Last edited by CnCGOD; 12-11-2012 at 06:58 PM.

Tuconots
    Web Developer, elective health care market. 60k/yr, medical/vision and no retirement.

Tuconots
    Work for the government as a Windows System Administrator. Decent paying job, too bad the cost of living where I am at is through the roof.
    PSN - Vithe | WiiU - VitheU | Steam - WiZZiE82 | battle.net - Vithe#1343

Tuconots
    Where do you work?
    Small software company

IT manager and Seniore Software Engineer (I wear a lot of hats)

What field/industry?
    Software/Payroll

Wages?
    100k in Scottsdale (Live in Mesa)

Bonuses/SEP?

Benefits?
    Full Health,vision,dental, 401k 5% employer contribution. All benefits paid for.

Tuconots
    I worked as an electronics engineer designing circuit boards for the Department of Energy for 10 years before moving back to Montana to take over my family cattle ranch (where I grew up).

Upside to the engineer gig was that I love building things and it was an 8-5 job that paid well and gave me weekends off and there was occasional travel but not too much. Downside was the tons of daily paperwork and bullshit that comes with corporate America and the apathy of working for the government slowly sucks the life out of you.

I can't say exactly what I get paid now, because the ranch takes care of most of my expenses and I just pay myself a little for spending money. If you added it all up it would be a fraction of the 80K I was making as an engineer though.

Downsides to the rancher gig is that it's very time consuming and pretty much 7 days a week. Days are long in the summer but things slow down a lot this time of year. The benefits are kind of intangible but I love working outside every day and not answering to anyone. The job changes a lot depending on what time of year it is and the winter is pretty relaxing most of the time.

Tuconots
    For the folks making six figures, I'm curious how old many of you are.

Tuconots
    Turned 29 a few months ago.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostrovia View Post
    I'm a GS13
    I work on and handle HAZMAT for F-22's and the F-35.
    Out of curiosity, what kind of HAZMAT comes out of F-22s and F-35s? Fuel? Munitions? Is it something that gets performed routinely on the planes or is it more of an "incase of emergency" situation?

And to the point of the thread:

I worked for a mid sized European video game developer (5 years), now self employed (1.5 months), still transitioning.

Video game developer, over my five years there I did everything from community support (at the very, very start), programming (first 2.5 years), some art (mostly placeholder, some made into final release), ended as head story/level/mission guy. The company started in the business guy's basement with about four full-time people, last I heard they were around 40, hence the crazy job experience (which is not at all normal).

By the end, I was making about 37k EUR/yr. No making anything at the moment as I work from home on a solo project.

No company specific benefits, but since it was a European country, by law got 20 days paid vacation, cheap healthcare (but it was paid out of my pocket), and paid toward a state pension & unemployement insurance. Also got to do a bunch of travel, some of it on the company's dime. Saw places and met people I never would have. Upside: socially relaxed, casual dress code, good amount of work freedom. Downside: Crunch time sucked, 3-4 months before releases, it'd be about 80-90 hrs/wk until release.

Tuconots
    The composites that make it stealthy are prettynasty stuff.

I'm a student(accounting), living on 15k a year give or take. No benefits of any kind besides lots of free time.

Tuconots
    You already know.

Tuconots
    -Where do you work?

Family mechanical construction company that my bro and I own (along with a third minority partner). Grampa started it in the 50's, dad and uncle took over in the late 70's, and starting in the 00's we took over from my dad who retired completely December 2009. About 8 office staff, and in a perfect world around 40-60 plumbers in the field.

-What do you do? (Title/keywords)

I'm a plumber by trade/training, but I haven't touched a pipe wrench in years. Mostly I oversee the day to day administrative stuff, so basically paperwork, and also do estimating, design, shop drawings, O&M manuals and so on. Also do the easy tech support stuff around the office.

-What field/industry?

Mostly multi-unit residential construction (apartments, condos, hotels) but also medium to large commercial (warehouses, offices, strip malls, car dealerships).

-Wages?

We pay ourselves a salary of around 100k a year, otherwise most of our earnings are company profits distributed either through personal bonuses or dividends to holding companies. We haven't really made much money at all 2010-2012, unfortunately, and coupled with two projects that went sideways (had to buy 3 condos on one to get our money out and haven't been able to sell them as yet, the other one the city revoked the building permit and the financing froze a year ago with 400k of outstanding bills) it's not been a fun couple of years. We've got a whack of money on the books that should be paid out to us personally, with all the taxes already remitted, but haven't had the cashflow to do so.

Our guys in the field make anywhere from $18/hr to $45 or so. Journeyman wage is $36/hr right now for a guy fresh out of tradeschool and enough hours to qualify. Starters make 50% of that, second year apprentices make 60% and so on. Our PM's and purchaser make around 80-100k a year, and are basically plumbers brought in from the field.

-Bonuses/SEP?

See above for my own bonuses. For employees, it's done on a case by case basis depending on how well the company is or isn't doing and frankly, whether they deserve it or not. I'm personally not a fan of bonuses if only because it turns in to a giant pain in the ass where people expect them, regardless of their or the company's performance. Basically they become part of people's base renumeration.

-Benefits?

Hourly guys get 9.6% vacation/stat holiday pay added to their checks, so basically 3 weeks vacation and 2 weeks stat holidays. Being in Canada health insurance isn't a big deal, but we do have supplemental health insurance that we pay half the premium for. It's part of an overall benefits package from Merit Contractors, which is kind of an open-shop construction association. Guys get other stuff with it, like tuition rebates and the like. We also tend to have 3-4 company parties a year. Christmas, summer golf tournament, and then other misc. events. When the times were really rolling we flew 20 or so guys out to Victoria to go fishing, golfing, drinking and eating for 3 days one year, and Crown Isle the other. We used to do ski trips as well, but frankly they're a pain in the ass to organize and over half the guys never bothered to ski a run anyways, they just sat in their rooms and played cards and drank.

Hard Truths Cut Both Ways AladainAF's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Fortune 200 software company that is very well known, most people probably use our products.
    Senior Software QA Engineer
    Software Development
    Over 100k/yr + bonus + stock. bonus+stock usually valued around 30kish, depending.
    I work solely from home and make my own hours outside of some required meetings with minimal travel. I'm slightly underpaid for what I do, but because I work from home I have very few expenses overall (i.e. I fill up my car maybe once a month). Great benefits, 401k/roth 401k, ESPP w/15% discount, amazing vision/dental far better than anything else i've ever gotten.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Phoenix View Post
    And also a good portion of the chemicals used in maintenance/cleaning etc. I used to maintain munitions in the AF and pretty much everything we used during a maintenance operation was disposed of as some sort of hazmat.

Tuconots
    Where do you work?
    Freelance at different Opera/Theater Companies

Costume Technician Stitcher/First Hand. I make or alter the costumes or just do repair work on pre-existing garments they have. I have done some work as a crafts person too which means I do dye work on fabric or make accessories like hats, jewelry, crowns etc. I also just started small side business where I make and sell things like corsets, cosplay, and Renaissance Faire stuff so we'll see where that goes.

What field/industry?
    Entertainment

Wages? It changes because I'm freelancing. Wages are generally $20-$30 an hour depending on what you are doing.

Benefits? No great but I do get free tickets to the shows and I actually enjoy Opera so it's a perk and not a punishment.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Heylel View Post

Tuconots
    Owner of a contracting business
    take home 200-300k a yr
    Have a degree in Finance
    I'm 35 have been in construction for 12 yrs, looking to hang up the hardhat in next few years and do something new.

I've made over six figures every year since I was 23 yrs old, but I can tell you 100k bought me a lot more back in 2002 than it does now

Tuconots
    Job:
    Network Analyst
    Wage:
    50k but not nearly what I should be making.
    Benefits:
    Full health, dental, retirement along with a good amount of vacation and sick pay.

It'll do for now.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    I'm a CMS developer at a company that deals solely in convention and visitor's bureau websites. I just started and get 40k/year with medical and vision fully covered and a small monthly for dental. Haven't looked into 401k yet since the company just outgrew its previous setup and is now moving into an actual 401k system. Found out on my first day that the extra benefits are huge discounts on everything travel related which then got a bit larger when I finished my tech recruiter contract and got brought on full time. 2 weeks vacation, 2 weeks sick and 1 week flex with a $2500/year budget for personal education which will be hopefully be going towards Google I/O and then whatever conference that I can find in Europe or New Zealand. I also do freelance 3D visualization projects on the side, although I've been hitting the main job pretty hard since being hired so haven't had much time to pick up any gigs doing that for a while and was basically working for a really low rate just to grab as many high-end portfolio shots as I could. I got a big Redbull project on my portfolio last year so hopefully I can start directing a lot more effort towards that when I'm comfortably not the new guy at work anymore.

Tuconots
    Manager, Hedge Fund Administrator based in Canada
    90k - Somewhat low considering I'm a CFA + Designated Accountant with 7 years Industry experience, but its well above market for me locally. Have to move to New York or Chicago for anything better.
    Bones is strictly based on company performance... and since the Industry has just come climbing back it has ranged from 5% to 30% of salary since 2007.
    Benefits are pretty similar to what Eomer posted above. Get 5 weeks vacation.

Tuconots
    I'm a pharmacist and app developer.

I work in a large community hospital.

I bring in about 140k a year but I haven't been working for long - currently 26 y.o.

I don't know much about my health plan, but it's through UnitedHealthcare or something, and I haven't used it yet.

Otherwise, I don't get any cool benefits

Tuconots
    I wear a lot of hats professionally, I earn money as a consultant/freelance software architect, but I don't consider that my "job".
    I'm a serial entrepreneur on my 3rd company, working in game development and writing business software(which I actually find rather fun contrary to what I thought).
    I'm also an academic researcher and part-time professor/educator of computer science(my research focuses on artificial intelligence and genetic programming).

In reality though I'm a dataphile(I get a literal dopamine high learning new information and skills), and this has led me to a long series of being semi-professional in a lot of "hobbies", cause I like to constantly pick up new skills, quickly gain a high level of proficiency and then move on. In the last 14 years I've worked as an audio engineer, a metals inspector, operated a recycling company, done a lot of IT network consulting, broadcasting, been a "picker", some I've forgotten, and been a professional RMT(selling gold/plat in UO/EQ, 6 figures as a teenager was a lot to bootstrap with!). It's only in the last few years I've really started to settle down and focus a bit more, when I was really sick for a couple years I didn't have the opportunity to be as diverse as I'd of liked, and made do with it.

My wages vary a lot, two years ago I made 16k that year, two years before I made 387k(right before I got sick and at the height of the economic bubble), last few years have consistently been in the 80-100 range. I honestly don't give a shit about money, as long as I can eat, live, and buy some small luxuries(computers), I'm pretty content. I don't work unless I have to, and often pass up opportunities simply because I'd rather focus on my own projects than earn money I don't really need.

Benefits nonexistant, I get health insurance through my university and that's about it. Part of the reason I still go to school after 12yrs is simply because it's the only health care I can afford after what I've been through(and it's not even a great policy to begin with), until the preX conditions come into play, I'm uninsurable otherwise.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyLenard View Post
    Out of curiosity, what kind of HAZMAT comes out of F-22s and F-35s? Fuel? Munitions? Is it something that gets performed routinely on the planes or is it more of an "incase of emergency" situation?
    There's a lot of HAZ that goes into those birds. Everything from paint to pure silver. There's over 800 steps just to paint them. Without getting into the classified stuff HAZMAT is used in pretty much every part of the jet and also used throughout it's repair/upgrade and demo process.

The hangar I work in houses 13 birds and has 3 massive rooms that all the HAZMAT is stored in. A few million dollars in HAZMAT alone not including the multi-million dollars of parts stored here as well. Everything from your standard washer to radomes and everything in between.

Some of the HAZMAT here is really nasty stuff. From corrosives to adhesives that make gorilla glue seem like Elmers. As well as HAZ that if mixed wrong the fumes created will make mustard gas a pleasant experience. So basically, I handle everything from your standard house hold rubbing alcohol to fuel to corrosives that'll eat away Titanium.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Phoenix View Post

I'm a student(accounting), living on 15k a year give or take. No benefits of any kind besides lots of free time.
    The biggest contributers to it's Stealth is the primer/paint they put on it and the membrane they put on it. Called BOOT to make the bird seamless.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    I'm a petroleum technician, the company I work for installs, repairs and maintains fueling devices for retail fuel centers. We are the "fix it all" for gas stations, we repair the dispensers, the fuel monitors, the submersible motors in the ground that pump the fuel and we install and repair point of sale systems for them. I do a lot of in state traveling in my service truck to fuel stations all over the state, so there is a lot of windshield time. There are no trade schools for this profession, I started with this company back in 2000 and it's all been on the job training. There are certifications that you can receive from the different manufacturers of the equipment we work on so that you are authorized to work on their equipment. The benefits are pretty standard, 3 weeks off a year paid to use however you choose, medical/dental and a 401k. I do take my service truck home so my personal vehicles are only driven on the weekends. It's not a bad gig, but at some point I'd like to pursue other opportunities, I work for a small company so the chances for advancement are very limited. The pay isn't terrible, I made over 60k last year not including the bonus of taking my work truck home and them paying for all the gas and maintenance.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestein View Post
    Benefits nonexistant, I get health insurance through my university and that's about it. Part of the reason I still go to school after 12yrs is simply because it's the only health care I can afford after what I've been through(and it's not even a great policy to begin with), until the preX conditions come into play, I'm uninsurable otherwise.
    I got the prex health insurance recently, painless procedure, apply to regular insurance get rejected, then apply to the Prex condition shit in place already. Took like a month and a half to get everything done, faster if your not a procrastinator like me. Only downside is you HAVE to be uninsured for like 6 months before you can apply. Cheap too, insurance was 575 or so a month while I was still able to get my fathers coverage...The prex is 250/mo now.

*edit*
    Student mainly, work shitty delviery job on the side...Make about 10-25/hr depending on days and how busy we are.

Tuconots
    Well if there's one thing that this thread has proven to me, it's that the canard about public employees being overpaid is a load of BS. I hadn't realized quite how far my salary had lagged behind for my age. I'm doing pretty well for the geographic area and demographic I'm in, but the pay freeze in Georgia for the last 6 years has really done a number on my income.

Blood Bowl League Abandoner
    Tuconots
    Well, you also gotta understand that people aren't exactly lining up to brag about their $12 an hour job on the internet too. It's always going to slant towards the higher incomes in these kinds of threads.

Tuconots
    Though true, I just looked it up and I actually have fallen a bit behind the curve relative to my education level. That didn't used to be the case until recently.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlery View Post
    Well, you also gotta understand that people aren't exactly lining up to brag about their $12 an hour job on the internet too. It's always going to slant towards the higher incomes in these kinds of threads.

It shouldn't be that way though. Whether you're a government worker, a manager at gamestop, employee at Taco Bell or the greeter dude at Walmart. A job's a job. It takes all classes and all types to make things work. This thread could easily coincide with the Job Listings and Employment Opportunities thread.
    Like the company I work for just landed a Department of Defense contract in Washington.

Tuconots
    Alright guys I was not sure where to put this so since it is about careers I figured this was as good a place as any.

I currently have a bs in civil engineering and surveying. After 18 years in this industry I hate engineering and surveying. I talked over with my wife how miserable I was and she agree that I should just quit and so I did. We will be fine on her salary with the bills we have so I am not concerned about a new job now right now.

I really am interested in software development, technical support and system analysts. What degree program would you pursue? Computer Science or Software Engineering? What is the down side to each? Would you get a masters? I read that a masters is preferred by more hiring managers than a few years experience. Anyone here do hiring for these fields and can shed any light on as to why? I only ask because I know most of you do this kind of work or at least on the old board it seemed a lot did.

I know lots of questions but I do not have anyone, friend or family to speak to about this industry.

Thanks for any input.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostrovia View Post
    It shouldn't be that way though. Whether you're a government worker, a manager at gamestop, employee at Taco Bell or the greeter dude at Walmart. A job's a job. It takes all classes and all types to make things work. This thread could easily coincide with the Job Listings and Employment Opportunities thread.
    Like the company I work for just landed a Department of Defense contract in Washington.
    And yet, here we are, with the vast majority of this thread being people bragging about their 6 figure a year job. I know what a lot of people on this board do for a living because I've been around a long time, and you pick up bits and pieces of the community as things go along, but you're not seeing any of them post here with the walmart job because society has turned pretty hostile as of late towards the blue collar/retail workers who make sure the wealthy have toilet paper they can buy.

Tuconots
    because society has turned pretty hostile as of late towards the blue collar/retail workers who make sure the wealthy have toilet paper they can buy.
    How exactly has society turned pretty hostile lately against blue collar workers?

Formerly Kaxmax
    Tuconots
    Where do you work?
    - Large national law firm (AMLAW 100)

- Systems Engineer / IT Manager

What field/industry?
    - IT/Legal

Wages?
    - Low 6 figures

Bonuses/SEP?
    - Generally in the 5-10k range, depending on how the firm did that year

Benefits?
    - Full Medical/Dental, 401k matching, etc.

I'm 34, for the person who asked about age/six figure job.

Tuconots
    Two things for viewers of this thread to note:
    1. People on the internet are generally full of shit (Not calling out anyone in particular but we all know it's the truth).
    2. People who make good money scramble to these threads, other people not so much.

Tuconots
    I think maybe people should include their debt too for a better perspective, lol. I actually haven't made a single dollar because I've been furiously paying off my student loans, which began at almost 200k.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Eomer View Post
    How exactly has society turned pretty hostile lately against blue collar workers?
    You're in Canada, doesn't count.

In America? Are you fucking kidding me? The war on unions? The shrinking of the middle class? The largest stockpiles of corporate cash in history while the average household income goes down?

It's quite obvious that if you don't know someone who knows someone, you're not worth pissing on if you're on fire anymore.

Tuconots
    Deputy Director for cyber security, security testing certification lab for the NSA
    salary is good
    job is ok
    mostly boring

Tuconots
    Where do you work?

Two jobs.

I've worked at a supermarket for 12 years, on my way out within the next year.

Also working at a fortune 500 data storage/management company.

Grocery clerk.
    Firmware Engineer (intern).

What field/industry?

Retail.
    Data Storage and Management.

Wages?

$12/hr (weekends)
    50k/year as an intern, will be 77k/year to start upon graduation.

Bonuses/SEP?

None.
    None.

Benefits?

Healthcare that is extremely cheap ($12/wk single). 4 vacations.
    None really, a few paid days off.

Tuconots
    Where do you work?
    A family-run pack/ship and copy business in the buttfucks of rural western MD

Manager/Temp Owner

What field/industry?
    Shipping/Small Business Services

Wages?
    8/hr, 70hrs/wk

Bonuses/SEP?
    Nope.

Benefits?
    Nope.

My dad decided to start a small shipping business in our terrible rural area since you have to drive over an hour in either direction to get to the nearest FedEx/UPS stores. I worked for him just as a manager until he had to leave to go to Djibouti, Africa out of the blue for an ATC consulting job. So now I'm stuck running a business when I have no clue how to. Just hoping I don't run it into the ground before my dad gets back in a year.

Tuconots
    Worked as a Desktop Support Technician for public school districts from 18-21, made 15/hour. It was fun and I enjoyed it most of the time, but I felt unfulfilled.

24 years old now, engineering student.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Vepil View Post
    Alright guys I was not sure where to put this so since it is about careers I figured this was as good a place as any.

I currently have a bs in civil engineering and surveying. After 18 years in this industry I hate engineering and surveying. I talked over with my wife how miserable I was and she agree that I should just quit and so I did. We will be fine on her salary with the bills we have so I am not concerned about a new job now right now.

I really am interested in software development, technical support and system analysts. What degree program would you pursue? Computer Science or Software Engineering? What is the down side to each? Would you get a masters? I read that a masters is preferred by more hiring managers than a few years experience. Anyone here do hiring for these fields and can shed any light on as to why? I only ask because I know most of you do this kind of work or at least on the old board it seemed a lot did.

I know lots of questions but I do not have anyone, friend or family to speak to about this industry.

Thanks for any input.
    This would be a better question in the development forum as not to derail this thread.

Tuconots
    thanks was not sure where to put it

Tuconots
    In my third year of a PhD in biomedical engineering. My research focuses on drug delivery, biomaterials, and bone regeneration.

I make $30k / year through a fellowship

Free university health coverage. Don't know the details on my coverage, but I've had several doctor's appointments, a couple x rays, physical therapy, and an MRI and they ended up costing a couple hundred total out of pocket so it seems pretty decent.

Tuconots
    I'm a GS13 1811
    Government
    Salary/Pay raise every year (or so)
    holiday

health, life, short/long term disability, government retirement.

Work mostly regular hours 8A-6P, on call 24/7

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by escrima View Post
    I'm a GS13 1811
    Government
    Salary/Pay raise every year (or so)
    holiday

health, life, short/long term disability, government retirement.

Work mostly regular hours 8A-6P, on call 24/7
    Not everyday you have a S/A out themselves. Hah! Stay safe.

Tuconots
    Gee I didn't know Google existed. lol, just wanted to throw a breadcrumb in there

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by escrima View Post
    Gee I didn't know Google existed. lol, just wanted to throw a breadcrumb in there
    I didn't google. GS 12 Leo

Tuconots
    Hail, Gunslinger.

Tuconots
    Where do you work?
    Japanese auto supplier here in Michigan

Design Engineer. I mostly interact with OEM engineers, design studies, packaging, CAD, attend meetings, timing, etc. For this company we do mostly Instrument panels, full cockpit modules that we design, build, put together in our factory down in Tennessee, and ship directly to the OEM. Before this I worked all over the automobile, anything from headlights, fascias, sheet metal, down to molded carpets and such. I have been doing it pretty much since I was 18 (39 now). Although I did not get my degree until the early 2000s

What field/industry?
    Automotive engineering

Wages?
    75K salary for 40 hrs/wk But when its crunch time I can put in upwards of 60+ hours/wk. Usually this is compensated with more time off during the slower periods.

Bonuses/SEP?
    When company does good, I do good. usually 4%-8% wages per year.

Benefits?
    Full benefits, 401K matching, 4.5 weeks off per year.

Registered User Dacianprick, King In The North's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Where do you work?
    - Production Company for Film and TV in Los Angeles

- Post Production Manager/Producer

What field/industry?
    - Film/TV

Wages?
    - Yes

Bonuses/SEP?
    -Variable

Benefits?
    - I bring my dog to work everyday.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmic_cs View Post
    I think maybe people should include their debt too for a better perspective, lol. I actually haven't made a single dollar because I've been furiously paying off my student loans, which began at almost 200k.
    It wasn't too long ago that I was a server at Chili's and my wife worked as a teller at the local Sinclair gas station up the street. We have a truck payment and mortgage to pay and a few credit cards to pay off that racked up when I was in my early 20's.
    I did my school through the Air Force so I didn't have to pay a dime for it and it eventually landed me the job I have now.

5 to 7 years ago I would have never have thought I would be where I am today. I was at a dead end, bullshit job. No chance of pay raises, no advancements, nothing. Just the same shitty job day in and day out. The job actually did more damage than good and I just couldn't take it anymore. So I left, joined the AF did my schooling both Technical and additional schooling in Logistics and now I'm here. It wasn't easy mainly because I fucking suck at school but it paid off.
    Last edited by Nostrovia; 12-12-2012 at 11:49 PM.

Tuconots
    Senior Security Engineer, mostly scoping out deployment of vulnerability assesment and pen testing (internal/external) web app scanning/pen testing. Work for a big player in IT Security that's also a small company (200 emp). 120k+ shitload of benefits, stocks, health, dental, bonuses. I have a Bs in Informatics Engineering and a Masters in Computer Science and I'm 29.

I guess the most exciting thing about my job is being able to penetrate networks for a living legally; exploiting some service in a DMZ and then VPN pivoting inside while dropping files and stealing passwords to me has always been my passion.

Tuconots
    Where do you work?
    -A mtrak
    What do you do?
    -Work in the dining car, sleeping car, coach car, train yard, commuter trains. Depends what I get called for.
    What field/industry?
    -Transportation
    Wages?
    -Guaranteed 150hr/mo but from April-November I end up working about 250-300hr/mo.
    Bonuses/SEP?
    -I get a raise after 2 years then I think every year after that. Non taxed tips unless I'm in the dining car where I only have to claim $20, tips range from $20-$1000/trip depending on what I'm doing.
    Benefits?
    -Full medical coverage, railroad retirement, able to move up in the company almost right away and to anywhere in the country, free train travel.
    Worst part of job?
    -Never being able to enjoy my house, spend any of the money I make, or hang out with friends.

I'm not quite to six figures since I've only been there a year, but I'm at 75k and 27. My OT checks are taxed as if I'm 100k+ though

Tuconots
    1. United States Army, 18 years in January, 36 years old

2. Field Artillery Targeting Technician (MOS 131A) Chief Warrant Officer 3

3. Duh, defense.

4. My base pay is $5224 (CW3 w/ 17 years) + $1656 (Basic Housing Allowance) + $239 (Basic Allowance for Substinance) = $7120 monthly gross

5. Bonus? I don't sleep very well at night and I'm getting divorced.

6. Guaranteed Retirement @ 50% base pay @ 20 years. 2.5% increase in retirement each year after 20 along with Healthcare, Dental etc etc.

Tuconots
    @Pollo: The divorce and the sleeping problems sound like tough stuff, good luck with that!

Where do you work?
    I am currently 23 years old and studying Dutch corporate law. I hope to finish my masters in february/march so I can do some travelling before I start working as a lawyer.

I currently have a job at the law faculty library (about 20 hours a week), I basically help people with questions and add books to their account, really basic stuff but I can study while working so that's a plus!

What field/industry?
    Dutch corporate law

Wages?
    I currently borrow EUR 950 a month from the government (at 1.3% interest woohoo) and make about EUR 500 at the library so about EUR 1450 or USD 1900.
    When I start at a (large) law firm the wages will be between EUR 33.000 and EUR 43.000 (USD 43.000 and USD 56.000), depending on which firm wants to hire me.

Bonuses/SEP?
    Currently none, besides free coffee while studying at the law library and some other small perks.

Benefits?
    Dutch healthcare is fairly cheap (EUR 110 a month (or USD 140) with a EUR 200 (or USD 260) deductible) but it isn't included in my pay.

Tuconots
    Where do you work?
    I both own my own buisness doing remodeling and work for a restoration company for insured losses/remodel of homes.

What do you do?
    Everything possible related.

What field/industry?
    Construction

Wages?
    Varies. This year sucked very bad due to health issues and injuries. I'll be lucky to make $25,000 this year. Last year triple that.

Bonuses/SEP?
    None.

Benefits?
    I make my own hours, and get to pick which jobs I want.
    Always in a new place and making people happy.
    Bad is no paid holidays, no health insurance, and when things go bad, it is out of my pocket.

Tuconots
    Where do you work?
    Sheltered workshop for mentally handicapped. We have around 300 clients. Some trad mongo stuff, some psycho stuff. None only bodily disabled...

What do you do?
    IT admin and some finance things

What field?
    goes under Healthcare here

Wages?
    suck, but at least they are somewhat stable

Bonuses?
    every year I work here adds to an additional retirement plan. up to almost 200/month now ... by the time I can retire it should be an additional 400 per month.
    other than that, the pay is shit. but you get to fuck off at rr.org so it's alright.

Tuconots
    Where do you work?
    Microsoft

Retail Management/Support

What field/industry?
    Retail

Wages?
    Cleared 80k this year, although that does include a little OT.

Bonuses/SEP?
    Quarterly bonuses, annual review with raises, relocation

Benefits?
    Full benefits at really good rates - I pay less than 30 a paycheck for incredible coverage health/dental/vision/ad&d/life/etc.

This is my 3rd stint in retail after not knowing what I wanted to be when I grew up. Was a network administrator/project manager back before Y2k - upgraded the State of AZ to Exchange to get away from MSMail which wasn't Y2k compliant. Got bored of that went back into retail, got sick of that for the second time (really came down to the company I was working for at the time I think). Became a corporate trainer for a manufacturing company, got introduced to Microsoft when they decided to open our retail stores and did all of the training for their technicians for the first 15 stores. Decided to jump ship and leave my company for Microsoft last year, and have loved it since. Don't totally love customer facing retail, but I love the company and the options for support roles are coming soon, so there's lots of growth opportunities, and I'm looking forward to them.

Tuconots
    Where do you work?
    Retail Optical

Dispensing Optician / Manager

What field/industry?
    Healthcare

Wages?
    $14/hr (not nearly enough for the work I do and the BS I put up with)

Bonuses/SEP?
    Commissions based on sales and number of goals met. Anywhere from $0 to $550/mo., though my average is usually around $150-$200. Also receive a $50 bonus for controlling payroll each month.

Benefits?
    Medical, Dental, 401K, disability, but no Vision Insurance. I get 6 pair of eyeglasses a year at 80% off. Can be given to my parents, spouse and dependents. Also get one free pair a year. I've been here 7.5 years, have 17 pair, and have only ever paid for one. I also get 20 days paid time off each year.
    Last edited by suzumebachi; 12-14-2012 at 05:37 AM.

Tuconots
    Where do you work?
    software startup, SAAS product for people who want to effectively market healthcare products

What do you do?
    Software development, mixture of front/middle/back end.

What field/industry?
    tech

Wages?
    Standard - higher than normal for startups, less than established companies like Microsoft/Google/etc

Bonuses/SEP?
    No bonuses, but stock options vest every year which will ideally be worth something someday

Benefits?
    medical/dental where I have no monthly payment, 3 weeks PTO, transit pass.

SPERO IN - Eq Next
    Tuconots
    Where do you work?
    A high school.

What do you do?
    High school teacher / More

Wages?
    Starting pay $32K + $1.5 K for adviser position.

Bonuses?
    Lol, right..

Benefits?
    Bunches. The best? Summer to work elsewhere, play, enjoy family, and do whatever.
    Last edited by Fyro; 12-15-2012 at 02:30 AM.

Tuconots
    Ford Motor Co
    Assembly
    63k up to 100k a few times in my 7yrs there so far.
    3k-10k
    The works when it comes to Benefits.
    No debt besides mortgage
    I am 27, I plan on moving up in the company in some capacity. Maybe even run for a elected union position.

Rav Scam-Free Zone
    Tuconots
    I work at the local version of the QuickyMart making minimum wage. Benefits include all the free coffee and doughnuts I can eat.

Tuconots
    Where do you work? From home.

What do you do? ''Content dev/moderator'' at a big-time arts an entertainment website, which pretty much means I'm a janitor. Also I do freelance digital painting/asset design for isometric games, game press releases, and gaming websites. Right now I'm on board as to illustrate PCGamer's DOTA 2 guide ontop of other pitch projects and things here and there.

What field/industry? Arts/Gaming/Entertainment.

Wages? Based on hours it factors out to less than minimum wage. And by less, I mean a lot less.

Bonuses/SEP? None.

Benefits? None.

Tuconots
    Where do you work?

I work at our family owned feed mill

Everything from customer care, to driving truck, fork lift driving, you name it (the joys of working for family)

What field/industry?

Agricultural

Wages?

No where near enough

Bonuses/SEP?

Think it's a 5% of your wages earned for the year, we get that near new years.

Benefits?

Medical, dental, retirement, all that lovely fluff. And working for family can be a benefit at times I guess.

Tuconots
    What do you do? - paralegal

Where do you work? - law firm

What do you do? - basically, I do associate lawyer level work involving representing national commercial lenders that want to obtain FHA insurance on multifamily, nursing homes, cooperatives, and hospitals.

What field/industry? - FHA insured commercial mortgage banking

Bonusus - 60k base + overtime (usually about 8k) + firm & partner bonus

Benefits - the partner I work for let's me control my work load and I have very little supervision while at work, concentrated on results instead of like being on my ass about getting to work late or leaving early. Health, 401k the usual

Age - 29
    Last edited by Filwen; 12-17-2012 at 05:02 AM.

Tuconots
    I'm first and foremost a student working on a MSc in (Physical) Chemistry. On the side I do promotion work for a local brewery, mostly holding lectures and longer courses in beer tasting, homebrewing, beer/food pairings, that sort of thing. The pay is pretty standard around here (~25$/hr, but crazy expensive cost of living) but the hours are flexible and I get to travel a bit when I have the time. Aside from dealing with drunk people it's a great job for a beer geek.

Tuconots
    This thread is lacking the question of where people work geographically otherwise the numbers don't mean much. I could be making $80k/year somewhere rural that would equal someone making $130k in San Fran/LA/The bay area.

prescient63
    Where do you work?
    Large consulting firm

Consultant

What field/industry?
    Financial Services, but I'll do whatever

Wages?
    $130K

Bonuses/SEP?
    Probably around $55k all in this year

Benefits?
    All the normal stuff plus some fun stuff:
    $500 to spend on sports
    gym memberships / food / random expenses paid for while I travel
    Miles / points / alt travel (ie just went to the cayman islands for the weekend and only paid for food)

Location?
    Midwest

Age?

In general life is pretty awesome but you have to be OK with living in hotels. I haven't seen my apt in 1 month, but that is largely my choice as I would rather travel to interesting spots on the weekends.
    Last edited by prescient63; 12-16-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Tuconots
    Where do you work? - Now work at home/self employed. Have home in TX and MS. Home in TX is on family land that was an original spanish land grant, home in MS is located within driving dirstance of the chemical corridor on the Miss. river between New Orleans and Baton Rouge where 99% of my work ends up. Low cost of living in a rural area.

What do you do? (Title/keywords) - Structural steel detailer and detailer and project manager. Steel design is self explanatory, steel detailing is taking an engineers or designers drawings and "detailing" every single piece so that it can be fabricated in the shop.

What field/industry? Mostly in the petro-chemical and heavy industrial but also commercial

Wages - wildly variable. As owner of a fab shop it was a LOT more than working on a contract now. Contracts on a year basis are normally $50-$150k per year plus bonuses. For the first year you can get a per diem that is tax free and they vary - from $1000-$2500/month to cover living expenses. After the first 12 months (if you continue the contract) they are no longer tax exempt.

I have a double BS in Wildlife Management and Forest Management with a minor in biology, a MS in wildlife management. I went to college at age 24 after dropping out of school and getting a GED. Between then I worked as the same thing I do now fulltime, steel detailer and designer.

After college I went back to what I was doing before for the money. Got hired to run a fabrication shop, eventually bought out the owner and owned/ran the company for 10 years. Sold off majority stake of the company earlier this year and am semi retired but do contract/consulting work part time.

The bonus is I get to set my work schedule, work time, and split time between sitting at the computer and field trips and overseeing the shop work. Sitting at a computer full time for the rest of my life was the driving factor in learning other skills beyond design and computer work that would allow me to do other stuff than sit at the computer all day.

42 years of age.
    Last edited by Borzak; 12-16-2012 at 04:18 AM.

Tuconots
    This thread depresses me and makes me realize how under paid i am.

Tuconots
    Where do you work?
    Department of Defense (Navy)

Contract Specialist.
    We do cradle to grave procurement contracts for the DoD. Basically means we solicit, award, manage, and terminate contracts all on the same team (which is apparently rare).

What field/industry?
    Government contracting, Department of Defense.

Wages?
    $39,000 a year.
    I do get a 20% raise every year for the next 3, however. So after 1 year $48,000; 2 years $57,000; 3 years $69,000.

Bonuses/SEP?
    None.

Benefits?
    Tons of paid federal holidays, Federal Employee Retirement, health, dental, vision, life insurance. I'm also in a Defense Acquisition slot (shocking, I know), and so I get about a month and a half a year for the next few at DAU courses. Been living in a hotel all expenses paid in San Diego for a month.

Tuconots

Job duties: prevent aircraft from flying into one another. Specifically Ill talk to aircraft climbing and descending to the south from Toronto, Buffalo, Rochester. Also Responsible for sequencing every Newark, Teterboro, and Kennedy arrivals from the west and Cleveland/Pittsburgh/Detroit arrivals from the east. Also responsible for approaches for a couple smaller regional airports in western NY/PA/OH

Salary: About 125,000, plus occasional overtime.

Benefits: a huge adrenaline rush when it gets busy, better than riding a roller coaster.

Tuconots

Where do you work?
    Corporate Office - Grocery Store Chain

Supervisor in A/R dept

What field/industry?
    Accounting/Retail

Wages?
    Salaried, 53k per year, guaranteed Minimum 3%/yr increase, (Last year it was 10.6%)

Job duties: Supervise 11 people across multiple areas in A/R, Real Estate, Incoming Payments, Miscellaneous Receivables. Typical Accounting duties, prepare journal entries, general ledger reconciliations, etc.

Bonuses/SEP?
    2 weeks salary X-mas bonus, ~9% Salary given to me in company stock each year through pension plan

Benefits?
    Insurance
    Last edited by Shoeby; 12-16-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Tuconots
    Where do you work: Acute Inpatient Psychiatry
    What do you do? RN
    Wage: I'm going to make about 46k this year. I live in Missouri and, evidently, the cost of living is very low here.
    Job Duties: Nurse stuff
    Bonus: $40 dollar Amazon card for Christmas, lol.
    Benefits: Insurance, matched 401k.

I'm about to finish my master's in nursing and will be a psychiatric/mental health nurse practitioner. Not sure how much I'll be making yet (somewhere between $70k and $100k depending on where I end up working).

Tuconots
    Where do you work?
    Self employed.

What do you do?
    Consultant (main jerb), landlord (side jerb).

What field/industry?
    Tech.

Wages?
    90kish from main jerb.

Bonuses/SEP?
    Nada

Benefits?
    No set hours, no crappy bosses.

I'm looking to move on from this field of work and in to something new; became a landlord early this year on a small stack of cheap properties and it's working out well. Not serious $ mind you, but a decent padding to my current monthly take, and that's all I want out of it; not looking into this avenue of work other than supplemental income. I can't really expand the take from my main line of work without hiring people and I'm not willing to take that route since I want to move on to something else (and I might be a PHB). GF and I have been doing quite a bit of legwork on starting a business together and we've started poking around the actual partnership aspect of it; nice to see that we are on the same page that this will be a business relationship first to last (famous last words).

Tuconots
    Where do you work?
    Own a small Minerals and Royalty Acquisitions company in Oklahoma City

Travel around looking for oil plays, and then go in and buy mineral owners interests up before the big boys get there. Then flip the minerals for a profit (while hopefully retaining some of the interest). Sidebar - if anyone lives in West Virginia (Northern) and/or North Dakota and owns land, pm me!

What field/industry?
    Oil and Gas

Wages?
    Made practically nothing for almost 2 years, but cleared 1.27 million last year. Hired some employees this summer so I've started giving myself a salary. Not set in stone, I take money when I need it. Think I've spent less than $65k this calender year though all in.

Bonuses/SEP?
    None. Can't afford any yet. Want to at least double our value first. I did buy a new laptop last month though in the company's name.

Benefits?
    Working for yourself is really great, setting my own hours, not having anyone around telling me what to do etc. I suppose being the boss isn't as fun as I thought it'd be though. Can also work from home if I'm having a crappy day or I'm hungover

Age?
    Almost 30 now. Schlepped around making under $50k for most of my 20's before going out on my own. Living in a place that has a very low cost of living helped a ton as well. I had worked for large oil and gas companies before, and even spent time in a call center - hard to imagine working for someone now.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by wantonsoup View Post
    I work at our family owned feed mill
    Nice! That makes at least 3 people on this board working in agriculture. What sort of feed to you make?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanderhoof View Post
    Where do you work: Acute Inpatient Psychiatry
    What do you do? RN
    Wage: I'm going to make about 46k this year. I live in Missouri and, evidently, the cost of living is very low here.
    Job Duties: Nurse stuff
    Bonus: $40 dollar Amazon card for Christmas, lol.
    Benefits: Insurance, matched 401k.

I'm about to finish my master's in nursing and will be a psychiatric/mental health nurse practitioner. Not sure how much I'll be making yet (somewhere between $70k and $100k depending on where I end up working).
    I just graduated two years ago as an RN and last year did post grad cert in mental health and addictions. New grad wage was $45k, second year $50k as a post grad. But thats in New Zealand dollars. That and I made about $60k in my new grad year with overtime. Moving to canada now, see what the wage difference and work environment is like there as an RN.

Tuconots
    Where abouts in Canada? Alberta nurses make bank. I think cost of living here is the same or a bit cheaper than NZ. Rest of Canada other than BC has cheaper cost of living, but also lower salaries in general.

Tuconots
    Where do you work?
    IT Consulting firm. French-owned company with divisions in several countries, including mine.

Business Intelligence Consultant. Mainly developping with BI tools such as MicroStrategy, Microsoft SSRS, Qlikview etc. So far mostly front-end

What field/industry?
    Various contractors, currently at a large retail firm in Sweden that deals with food

Wages?
    Had to look it up, converted it's about 60k USD/Year. It's upperish middle-class wage here in Sweden

Bonuses/SEP?
    Only bonus I get is based on overtime I put in and some form of christmas bonus

Benefits?
    A pot that goes towards gym membership or so. Healthcare is free in Sweden, but there's a lot of oddities like the company will sponsor artificial insamination and you get your fifthiet birthday of etc. Only thing I've really capitalised on (I'm only 26, single) is the exercising bonus which I used to buy a membership at a bouldering hall.

Tuconots
    Where do you work? stay at home mom of 3 girls

What do you do? change diapers, non stop driving to activities and school, clean, endless laundry, cook, entertain kiddos

Wages? none!

Benefits? the love (and sometimes hate) of my kids

Age? 28

Screw your 9-5 jobs, 5 days a week. I am on call 24/7, 365 days a year and haven't slept through the night in probably 6 years! You wouldn't want to do it I bet! :p

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by lindz View Post
    Where do you work? stay at home mom of 3 girls

What do you do? change diapers, non stop driving to activities and school, clean, endless laundry, cook, entertain kiddos

Wages? none!

Benefits? the love (and sometimes hate) of my kids

Age? 28

Screw your 9-5 jobs, 5 days a week. I am on call 24/7, 365 days a year and haven't slept through the night in probably 6 years! You wouldn't want to do it I bet!
    What about a parent that works an 8 hour job and takes care of the kids? I'm not buying that being a stay-at home mom is the hardest thing in the world. Seriously, what do you do when your kids go to school?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsune View Post
    What about a parent that works an 8 hour job and takes care of the kids? I'm not buying that being a stay-at home mom is the hardest thing in the world. Seriously, what do you do when your kids go to school?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Eomer View Post
    Where abouts in Canada? Alberta nurses make bank. I think cost of living here is the same or a bit cheaper than NZ. Rest of Canada other than BC has cheaper cost of living, but also lower salaries in general.
    Goin to alberta actually. Sounds promising.

Thread Information