Thread: Mark Lawrence - The Broken Empire

Tuconots

Mark Lawrence - The Broken Empire

We had a thread for this back on the old boards, but didn't find one here. This series is pretty solid. Nothing groundbreaking but definitely worth a read.

Once a privileged royal child, raised by a loving mother, Jorg Ancrath has become the Prince of Thorns, a charming, immoral boy leading a grim band of outlaws in a series of raids and atrocities. The world is in chaos: violence is rife, nightmares everywhere. Jorg's bleak past has set him beyond fear of any man, living or dead, but there is still one thing that puts a chill in him. Returning to his father's castle Jorg must confront horrors from his childhood and carve himself a future with all hands turned against him.
    http://www.goodreads.com/series/64473-the-broken-empire

I know a few folks here have read at least the first one. The second one was as good, and the third one just came out in the UK (next week for the US).

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...eror-of-thorns
    Last edited by Seventh; 08-03-2013 at 03:53 AM.

Tuconots
    I had no idea what this series was called, but I meant to make a thread for it months ago.

First book is pretty good, and once you get in to the POV it's great.

Second book is great, and by the end is outstanding. Jorg Ancrath is one of my favorite fantasy characters of all time. Almost entirely based on this second book. I don't want to spoil shit, and I really want folks to read this series. So I'll go generic. Jorg Ancrath is probably one of the best torn characters ever, he is NOT a good person. His motives are questionable, but his goal is good. Probably.

Guh, I just deleted multiple sentences praising the books because they would be spoilers. So here's me keeping it generic.

Do you want a fantasy series with a protagonist who is nuanced and NOT a generic good guy? In a world that is not even vaguely generic fantasy? Good! Start reading Prince of Thorns!
    Last edited by Grimmlokk; 08-03-2013 at 09:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erronius View Post
    maybe there is some sort of mutant mandingo sweet-corn hybrid

Tuconots
    I love this series, and can't wait for the 3rd book.

Tuconots
    Third book is out, fyi.

Tuconots
    I've been wondering whether to get into this series, so thanks in advance for the tip!

Tuconots
    I've been waiting to start this series until the final book came out and it was definitely worth the wait IMO. It's nice to have another author in the style of Cook and Abercrombie that doesn't rely on simple black or white characters and can actually write graphic violence without it feeling hackneyed or simple shock value.

Not much of a spoiler but
    Spoiler: 
    I really would have loved even more back story on the world from the Thousand Suns until the series starts and more on the Builders behind the scenes.

Tuconots
    I've been looking for new stuff to read. I've found a bunch of great series' on these boards I wouldn't have normally and I'll have to check this one out now too.

Tuconots
    Plowed through this in a week after I saw it linked here. Highly recommend. Highly.

Tuconots
    As I read this fantastic series all I can think is "Some men just want to see the world burn"
    MWS Natural "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving black people approaches 1."

Tuconots
    Well it's an ending and I can respect the author for not wanting to drag it out but it wouldn't have hurt him to add in a bit more story and less of Jorg doing whatever he felt like without undesired consequences. That said this is obviously what it sells itself on: a dark protagonist doing whatever he wants and getting what he wants at any given moment (mostly).

Spoiler: 
    The Dead King being his brother was not a surprise to me and rather underwhelming/bizarre in that we are expected to believe that a child of 7 was twisted enough to reject an actual angel come to take him to paradise/mother and instead chose to become the lord of darkness and corruption... right. Jorg was a little freak but he had the briar poisoning, fever, enchantment and other factors to explain it at least. Also the concept of one or two men's will defining the reality of the entire world was extremely blah just as it was in that other fantasy series where humans crash landed on a planet where reality is shaped through thought/will. Meh.

It did leave me wondering how a world based on the rules of our reality sent that "wheel" spinning in the first place though, that could have been an interesting tale and it's a shame that he didn't touch on it at all.

Anyway it delivered on what it promised I suppose, was easy to read and fun at times.
    Last edited by Gask; 08-25-2013 at 12:31 AM.

Tuconots
    Every installment in a series should start out with the quick synopsis of the previous books the way this one does.

Tuconots
    Not really a spoiler, just a line spoken regarding the main character that sums up what I love about this series.

Spoiler: 

"You cut off her head... So you'd have something to throw?"

So awesome.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
    Not really a spoiler, just a line spoken regarding the main character that sums up what I love about this series.

Spoiler: 

"You cut off her head... So you'd have something to throw?"

So awesome.
    Hah That act did just come out of nowhere to remind you of just who he was. I think this is a book where there doesn't exist a hero. Not just an anti-hero but no hero at all as a main character. The closest they come is
    Spoiler: 
    is the Prince of Arrow who gets GoT'ed in short order. The closest we come to anti-hero is probably his father whose described in tones of being hardcore but not vindictive or vicious. But Jorg is just chaotic evil to the core and isn't trying to apologize to anyone for it.

This wasn't a series about good vs. evil rather about evil vs. evil and how they destroyed each other and caused massive destruction around them in the process. I would change the ending a bit though.

MWS Natural "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving black people approaches 1."

Tuconots
    I finished the 3rd book last night. My initial review is as follows.

HOLY SHIT.

Mark Lawrence has to have medicine balls in the place where a normal man would have testicles. He wrote a fucking trilogy where the hero is a worse motherfucker than the villains from most books, and made me root for that awful piece of shit without reservation. Not only did he pull off this ridiculous feat, but he ENDED THE FUCKING SERIES. It's a trilogy and that's fucking it, he didn't hedge his bets and leave the door open for any direct shit. The three books are the entire GD story. That's it. He built this awesome world, he gave us one of the best characters in fantasy history, and he told his entire story.

Fuuuuck. Fuck fuck.

Fuck.

I am looking forward to whatever the fuck Mark Lawrence wants to give us next, almost as much I'm looking forward to the 3rd Locke Lamora book. Which is actually pretty insane praise, because the next Lawrence book is absolutely imaginary to me at this point.

Tuconots
    Also finished it last night. Basically ^ what he said. Awesome series, thought the ending was perfect too.

Spoiler: 
    I initially thought the "two Ancraths in Vyene" bit was going to end up referring to Jorg and his son.

Tuconots
    I just finished the last book. The whole series was awesome.

Spoiler: 
    I don't know why but I saw the dead king being his brother, and it wasn't a surprise to me at all. They had dropped a bunch of subtle hints through out the series and I was sure who it was. Chella realizing who it was at one point basically confirmed it for me. That said I didn't see the end finishing in quite that way. It definitely took balls for the author to end it how it did and I really would've loved more back story, especially about the builders and the nuclear war that destroyed them. Still, I can see why it ended the way it did- ultimately it wasn't about them, they were just part of the setting.

I was slightly disappointed we never really got to see the united Empire raise its armies or anything like that, but overall I enjoyed the books immensely.

Tuconots
    Also, found this on another forum:

Spoiler: 

If you re-read the description for the All-Throne, it's pretty much describing an electric chair.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
    Also, found this on another forum:

Spoiler: 

If you re-read the description for the All-Throne, it's pretty much describing an electric chair.
    Found the text.

Spoiler: 
    We were reunited before the throne, a plain wooden chair, high-backed and sturdy, ancient work, crudely fashioned. Here and there gleaming bolt heads drew the eye, on the armrests, the front legs, the sides, smoothed flat to the wood. Legend had it that kings among the Builders had sat in this same seat and the same secret fire that ran through their machines had run through their veins. It had been shipped in across a great ocean long ago.

Yup=)

No Pants Dance
    Tuconots
    GRRM hurt me, so I no longer pick up a series until it is finished (not counting sequels/prequels).

I am very pleased to learn that this is completed. I will be picking the books up with my next order.

Tuconots
    Hah I didn't catch that about the chair. I really like all the things like that in this series.

Tuconots
    I just ran through these books this weekend. Great series and great setting. Loved it and was very happy when I found the following:

Prince of Fools (The Red Queen’s War #1)

by Mark Lawrence

This is the first book of a planned trilogy titled The Red Queen’s War.

These books are set in the Broken Empire and cover the same two decades that we dipped into during Jorg’s tale [see Broken Empire trilogy]. The trilogy is stand-alone, i.e, it's not required that you read the Broken Empire trilogy first.

The story follows the fortunes of Jalan Kendeth, an arrogant and cowardly womanizer, a bully and a cheat. Our ‘hero’ has lived his life in luxury and plans to continue doing so. Things start to go wrong when poor judgement entangles him in the adventures of an axe-wielding barbarian from the frozen north...

Prince of Fools shows us the world of the Broken Empire with a thicker vein of humor than Jorg’s tale, but it’s the same bloodstained place and from time to time we catch a glimpse of Jorg and his friends in the background.

I’m halfway through the second of the three books now and having fun with it! I hope you will too.
    Draegan's bitch ass sold us out to MMORPG.com

Exodus underway to ReReRolled.org - A Gaming Community

Tuconots
    I didn't know about that, awesome. Loved Jorge's trilogy so I'll definitely have to look into those now.

Tuconots
    Just finished the 3rd book - great series, sad it ended but happy he got to end it the way he wanted.

Tuconots
    I'm confused, is io9 wrong or is the 2nd trilogy not out? A Sinister First Look At Mark Lawrence's Brand New Fantasy Trilogy

What was the verdict on the first trilogy? I figure I'll read something besides tech manuals.

Tuconots
    The book they're talking about releases June 3rd.

As for the original trilogy, it's pretty awesome. I loved it more than some folks, especially immediately after finishing it. Jorg is just such a different "hero" from the usual fantasy tropes. And Lawrence told a complete story, start to finish, in three books. No fucking about leaving openings for close spin offs.

I actually hadn't followed the info on the next trilogy, and I'm a little disappointed it's set in the same world and at about the same time/location. I'd prefer if he at least changed the setting to another part of the world. Still, I'm all in with Mark Lawrence after the original trilogy so I'm definitely giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Ao- View Post
    What was the verdict on the first trilogy? I figure I'll read something besides tech manuals.
    Its primary draw is that the main character is basically a villain which is a novelty in a genre laden with plucky, young, self sacrificing characters fighting to right various wrongs and basically save the world. In this we get a malevolent, young, minion sacrificing despot who lusts for power and patricide which is far more realistic than a random protagonist fumbling his way to prominence like in most stories. The problem (for me) is that is pretty much all there is to say about it as far as novelty goes as the rest of it reads like many other stories that came before it, that and the author tries to do a reversal on Jorg's personality in the end that I found to be somewhat of a cop out.

But that said, it was entertaining enough to read all the way through if you want a distraction.

Tuconots
    More people need to read these books. The new one is out and it kicks ass.

Prince of Fools (The Red Queen’s War, #1) by Mark Lawrence — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

Tuconots
    Read the first series this last week. Good stuff. I felt 3rd was the weakest of the series, but with how much I loved book 1 and 2, it would have been hard to match the enjoyment.

Spoiler: 
    I'll pick up the new series after giving my eyes a rest. Wish there had been more with the nuban - thought they were going to use him in the dream world, but Lawrence stepped back from it.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    Sweet, forgot about this.
    FFXIV: Xanthala Kurenai - Excalibur
    P99: Shiroe/Manowarr/Tofusin
    NNID: Man0warr, FC: 3480-2650-2736
    PSN: Man0warr1

Tuconots
    I just picked up the 3rd book in the first trilogy. Thanks to Eidal for pointing me in that direction. Shit is good.

Tuconots
    You doing dead-media or kindle on these?

Tuconots
    Kindle.

Tuconots
    Gonna start these. I haven't been satisfied by a book since The Martian. So much shit getting praise in the last 18 months.

Edit: Done with book one. I approve.

Edit 2: Done with it. Enjoyed it but I also wish the second trilogy was in a different time/setting. Gonna wait for the third one of those before I start them as well.
    Last edited by Gilgamel; 06-22-2015 at 04:05 PM.

Tuconots
    I finished The Liar's Key last night. Great book, gave it a 4/5 on Goodreads. I think it's the longest one yet, and while it dragged just a little bit towards the end overall it was awesome.

Usually I hate cliffhanger endings but this time it was perfect.

Tuconots
    I should not be the only one replying to this thread, you fuckers. This series is awesome.

Fighter of the Nightman Furious's Avatar
    Tuconots
    I highly approve!
    "Woman have the right to understand that they are not to be treated as though they are not understood by those who have great understanding of things like these" -Hillary Clinton

Tuconots
    Just snagged book one a few minutes ago based upon the raves here. This series better be good!

Tuconots
    Ok...Book one was OK. Nothing mind blowing. Will snag book two though.

Spoiler: 
    What exactly did they find in the vault?
    Last edited by Brahma; 06-20-2016 at 07:37 PM.

Tuconots
    I lost steam in the third book of the first trilogy.

Tuconots
    I'm re-reading the whole universe before I dive into the Wheel. I love the contrast* of the heroes for sure. Interesting spin on the cowardly lion role.
    Ragefire - Snatty / Vlett
    Tunare - Sethlen / Ryoh
    Vulak - Snatty / Terran
    Stormrage - Vlett (RIP WoW)
    Ps4= Venir_1
    Balmung - Vlett Byrn
    Trakanon - Vlett

Tuconots
    Just started on this series. Took a couple months away from binge reading everything by Sanderson. Time to get into the Summertime reading mode, this seems perfect for it so far.

Tuconots
    Just finished books 1 - 3 as well, highly recommend em for anyone who is kinda bored of fantasy/scifi. The first trilogy definitely shakes things up from your standard storylines, one of the rare books where I would stay up long past my usual 10 minute reading time. I found a hard copy at my barnes and noble of the entire trilogy for $10, if the author ever rolls through town for a convention i'll definitely get him to sign it.

Tuconots
    Meh...series was OK. Wouldn't read again. Will buy author again.

Tuconots
    I read about 1/2 to 2/3 of the first book before I stopped. I didn't find the story or characters compelling at all.

I find most of the books recommended here to be good, this one just didn't hit the mark for me.

Tuconots
    Draegan's bitch ass sold us out to MMORPG.com

Exodus underway to ReReRolled.org - A Gaming Community

Thread Information