Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Routers & other networking stuff

Tuconots

Routers & other networking stuff

Buy http://routerboard.com/products, they're awesome.

Post questions here.

Tuconots
    I run my own WISP (wireless internet service provider) business, serving 5 or so rural towns. All my routers are tiks. They are amazing. My upstream has even swapped out most of their Juniper gear for tiks, running 1100AHx2's on their edge running full BGP on gig links. The price/performance/stability blows anything else out of the water.

And once you set one up for home use, you will never know how you managed without HTB queues.

http://mikrotikuniversity.com/index....aining-videos/

Tuconots
    Ok, when I get some time I am going to do a huge writeup on my routerboard and see if you guys can walk me through things.
    oderint dum metuant

Tuconots
    I've never even heard of 'Routerboard' until some posts on here recently. What makes them awesome?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Soygen View Post
    I've never even heard of 'Routerboard' until some posts on here recently. What makes them awesome?
    They are impressively powerful with options in their OS that outclass any commercial product end users buy and at a fraction of the cost.

The only issue with them is configuration can be scary.
    oderint dum metuant

Tuconots
    What about documentation on their os - is it extensive? I kinda dig Cisco ios' documentation, was awesome when studying CCNA back in the days. Thanks for the tip guys

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Izo View Post
    What about documentation on their os - is it extensive? I kinda dig Cisco ios' documentation, was awesome when studying CCNA back in the days. Thanks for the tip guys
    It's real extensive, I just don't understand all of it
    oderint dum metuant

Tuconots
    Anyone have experience with the Asus RT-660U 802.11c router? Is it noticeably better then the 802.11N version? Any comments on the range/coverage across a house?

Tuconots
    I still love my D-Link DIR-655. I had a lot of shitty routers in the past (linksys, Belkin, Verizon's oh god that was the worst). This thing has never given me a single issue and it has pretty good range. Somehow I get service outside of our apartment complex on the lawn with about 45 other routers in range, so I can't complain. Also with the other routers I would constantly have to power cycle them because shit would just randomly stop working. I think I've power cycled the D-Link about 3 times in 2 years, and pretty sure two of those times was because I was nervous it would stop working like the others. I recommend it to all my family, and they don't experience issues either.

My fiance's family has the worst Comcast setup ever, like a separate modem for the phone and a separate one for internet, and routers just were working so shitty there. After a few years of nothing but headaches I convinced them to buy the DIR-655 and all the issues disappeared. I love the thing.

I would definitely try the routerboard ones if this shit the bed though.
    Noodleface#1412 - <Rerolled> US-Hyjal Horde - Noodleface

Follow me on Twitch! - Streaming Rerolled minivan dad raids Friday nights 9PM EST and Saturday mornings 11AM EST!

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by eldub View Post
    Anyone have experience with the Asus RT-660U 802.11c router? Is it noticeably better then the 802.11N version? Any comments on the range/coverage across a house?
    I just replaced my DIR-655 with the ASUS N66U. Was going to go with the AC version but after reading a bit and going off Smallnetbuilder's review (Link), it just seemed not worth it. Being rev 1 tech, increased cost, plus having to go with an AC NIC/adapter. If I read their analysis correctly the largest gains aren't easily realizable depending on your 2.4 GHz congestion. Plus most of what I do is wired streaming.

My DIR-655 had been crapping the bed the past two weeks. Constantly dropping, wireless speeds abysmally slow, and some strange network performance issues related to streaming using the on board LAN. The N66U was pretty much plug and play. Getting 30+ MBps wireless and wired GigE has been flawless between the NUC and NAS. The DIR-655 was honestly perfect for the last two years or so, but all of a sudden went poop.

*edit: well it's always something... now my PS3 won't reach the internet. Browsing around it looked like turning off b/g protection was supposed to solve the issue, to no avail. Some key exchange time out, although once it actually received an IP, just wouldn't get outside. MacBook Air won't hit the internet, although it has an IP and shows as connected fully. Everything is set up pretty default. 20/40 MHz channel to auto, b/c I know the older iPhone's can't do 40 MHz channels. Regular WPA2 with no strange key. G + N on wireless.... no idea, will have to play more tomorrow.
    Last edited by Intrinsic; 05-24-2013 at 02:59 AM.

Tuconots
    We've been installing Sonicwall Router/Gateway/VPN devices for most of our small business customers without dedicated servers to handle VPN connections. They work very well, VERY customizable. Sonicwall's Global VPN client is easy as pie to get working. They have configurable back ports, some can be configured for Dual WAN's, VLANs, multiple SSID's with varying access.

And as a recommendation for small business WAP's. DO NOT USE THE Cisco WAP4410N POE WAP. These devices are total crap, with numerous issues that Cisco support could not resolve.

We Finally replaced the pair of them with WAP321's which have been fantastic so far.

Personally I run a DIR-655 at home with a 12db antenna in place of one of the three stock antennas. I love that router have had it for 2+ years trouble free, and now its loaded down with 3 techies using it on our Uverse line. My roommate has a basic Linksys router as a second gateway handling his comcast connection.
    Last edited by brekk; 05-24-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Tuconots
    I had a DIR-655 for a long time and it always worked great. I upgraded to the Asus RT-N66U and I freaking love it. Best router I've ever owned, and I've owned lots of routers. The VPN feature works great, too.

Tuconots
    Still no luck getting any of the fiance's Apple products working on the N66U. Her Macbook Air and iPhone both connect, get IPs, etc... but can't reach any page. Tried 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz on the Air without luck. DNS appears to be working as it can resolve Google and the such to correct IPs, but can't ping it, trace it, or anything. Nothing strange shows up in the log for the N66U, I can see where her laptop connects and gets the 192.168.1.106 address I set up. I know so little about Apple products and am stumped. The "Network Diagnostic" function built in seems to also think it is working as all green lights.

Tuconots
    Dunno, all my Apple products work just fine with my N66U.

Tuconots
    Yeah, it's the strangest thing, and I'm sure something obvious that is being overlooked. My PC, Phone, work laptop, Kindle, and XBMC box are all fine. Haven't actually tried the XBox yet. Oh well will keep tinkering. May try out Tomato or DD-WRT.

Tuconots
    Look into the shibby specific builds for the N66-U and pay special attention to the 64k CFE boot loader.
    oderint dum metuant

Tuconots
    Check the gateway IP address the problematic devices are using. Also sanity check any VLAN's and ensure they're going in the right one (if you have guest networks etc).

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaffa View Post
    Check the gateway IP address the problematic devices are using. Also sanity check any VLAN's and ensure they're going in the right one (if you have guest networks etc).
    That's what it was, more or less. For some reason the Mac stuff, and my PS3, were being assigned a default gateway of 192.168.1.251, which according to the N66U belonged to a Netgear device. That didn't make sense because the only Netgear equipment was an old switch that wasn't being used anymore. Then laying in bed tonight I remembered the adapter on my sprinkler controller (irrigation cady). Unplugged it, and now the other devices get the correct gateway and work fine. Not sure why some devices were being assigned that as the gateway, so will need to get that straightened out next weekend. Not that I even use the sprinkler system.

Tuconots
    Anyone have any experience with setting up a long distance wireless network? My gf's appartment is directly line of sight from my condo window and I was thinking of setting it up so she's part of my LAN and we can share files etc. It's at max about 1km (probably closer to 500m) away.. I'm on the 21st floor, she's on ground level with some light tree cover in the way. Would it just be a matter of buying two antennas and having a router on each side? Is it viable at all? Thanks

Edit: I'm also planning on transmitting the signal through my window (I have no balcony).
    Last edited by Tripamang; 07-01-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Registered Dragonlord Deathwing's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Might work if you use a spider antenna to simulate a parabolic dish, but that distance seems to be really pushing it.

Tuconots
    If you want to full retard, two of these will do it http://routerboard.com/RBSXTG2HnD (but might be illegal and 110$ each).

Realistically, 2 x http://routerboard.com/RBSXT-5nDr2 @ 60$ each will do the job more than fine at a distance of 500m.

Tuconots
    In theory they work, in practice I'd be impressed if they actually worked for what the OP wanted. You need a good line of sight, low interference, and great conditions.

If all you're looking to do is share files it's way easier to make a free dropbox account that only you two have access to.

Follow me on Twitch! - Streaming Rerolled minivan dad raids Friday nights 9PM EST and Saturday mornings 11AM EST!

Tuconots
    Thanks, I'm going to give the routerboard 60$ units a try and see how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodleface View Post
    In theory they work, in practice I'd be impressed if they actually worked for what the OP wanted. You need a good line of sight, low interference, and great conditions.

If all you're looking to do is share files it's way easier to make a free dropbox account that only you two have access to.
    I have a large NAS she wants access too, not really viable to share it via drop box.

Tuconots
    I would go with 2x Ubiquiti NSM2Locos or NSM2s (depending on fresnel inclusion). They will be much easier to set up than the tiks. I would recommend 5ghz but tres+window with 5ghz is probably going to give you issues. You will need to do a spectrum scan to get a clean channel, and probably drop the channel width to 5 or 10mhz. Expect 10-20Mbps throughput.

Tuconots
    grabbed the rb951g router to give it a shot,. it is about the same price as the netgear one i am using right now.

update 7/9: Router Arrived today. first impression -it's small but feels real solid, case looks well made, i have NOT plugged it in as of yet due to not wanting to have to reconfigure my wireless network while we are on vacation (ie not wanting to deal with no internet complainted from the wife/kids). i'm reading up on the features and am going to limit my kids access to youtube to ~50 gig a month.
    Last edited by Lenardo; 07-10-2013 at 01:39 AM.

Tuconots
    So it seems my Linksys WRT54GS has finally died after nearly 10 years. Is it worth getting an AC router now? I don't have any devices that support it, but I wouldn't mind spending a little extra money now, knowing I won't need to upgrade for a long time. Otherwise I'm looking for something reliable for under $100. I don't need anything fancy, so the DIR-655 looks like it would work fine unless someone has a better suggestion at a similar price. Newegg has it for $55 until the end of the month.

Tuconots
    DIR-655 is really good. WRT54GS is pretty old and there's a pretty big performance gap between Wireless G and Wireless N (DIR-655).

Tuconots
    can they do IPsec pki?

Tuconots
    Never used it myself, but I notice in the manual it supports IPsec.

Tuconots
    Anyone here own their own cable modem instead of leasing from your cable company? Time Warner is about to up their monthly leasing fee, so I'm looking to purchase my own, but I've NEVER, in 15+ years of having cable modem service, bought my own. I don't even know where to begin. Any recommendations? Here is the "official" compatibility list. Price isn't a huge concern as long as a more expensive model has features that make it worthwhile(I don't use my cable modems built-in wifi, I have a separate router for that)

Vendor Model
    Motorola SBG6580
    Motorola SB6141
    Motorola SB6121
    Netgear CG3000D
    Netgear CMD31T
    Zoom 5352
    Zoom 5350
    Zoom 5341J
    ZyXEL CDA-30360

Tuconots
    I owned a Motorola SBG6580. It was fairly cheapish at the time, and I found I had less trouble than using Comcast's modem. It seemed like a good purchase to me. That said I don't know which is the best.

Tuconots
    Think I bought the SB6121. Called them up with the MAC address, was up with an IP lease within an hour. What features are you looking for besides DOCSIS 3.0?

Tuconots
    Similar experience, although Comcast was generally confused as to why I needed a new cable modem that wasn't theres. They kept saying they'd fix it, I kept saying no thanks. Eventually they let me use it. AFAIK the one Comcast gave me didn't support DOCSIS 3.0 as well.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathwing View Post
    Think I bought the SB6121. Called them up with the MAC address, was up with an IP lease within an hour. What features are you looking for besides DOCSIS 3.0?
    Hell, I don't know. Every feature that I need for my home networking I have built into my nice router(Asus RT-N66U http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833320091). I don't need my cable modem to do Wifi or even be a switch/hub at all. Guess I don't need anything too complex, but the models I listed above are the ones that are supposedly compatable with my 50mbps service.
    Last edited by joeboo; 07-30-2013 at 08:57 PM.

Tuconots
    I have the model right before Motorola SB6121, worked great for the last two or three years.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboo View Post
    Anyone here own their own cable modem instead of leasing from your cable company? Time Warner is about to up their monthly leasing fee, so I'm looking to purchase my own, but I've NEVER, in 15+ years of having cable modem service, bought my own. I don't even know where to begin. Any recommendations? Here is the "official" compatibility list. Price isn't a huge concern as long as a more expensive model has features that make it worthwhile(I don't use my cable modems built-in wifi, I have a separate router for that)

Vendor Model
    Motorola SBG6580
    Motorola SB6141
    Motorola SB6121
    Netgear CG3000D
    Netgear CMD31T
    Zoom 5352
    Zoom 5350
    Zoom 5341J
    ZyXEL CDA-30360

Do not rent a cable modem or mta from your cable company it is a big mistake. You will get some reused pile of junk. The only upside of renting is if the cable modem or MTA gets fried during a power surge or a port goes out you are protected. The Motorola's are pretty good, the 6580 has a built in wifi router so you might want to pass on that.

Tuconots
    I have the 6121. It works great. I've owned my own modem for years.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Agripa View Post
    Do not rent a cable modem or mta from your cable company it is a big mistake. You will get some reused pile of junk. The only upside of renting is if the cable modem or MTA gets fried during a power surge or a port goes out you are protected. The Motorola's are pretty good, the 6580 has a built in wifi router so you might want to pass on that.
    I've been renting so far and I have to give Time Warner credit, I take my modem in to one of their stores/offices every couple years, and they give me the newest model available, no hassle. I have a Motorola SB6121 from them right now. I really didn't mind it when I was only paying 2 or 3 bucks a month, but now that it's jumping to double that, it's finally time to buy my own.

Tuconots
    Hey all, I am moving into a new house next Friday and for the first time in my life it will have CAT5 drops to every room. The central panel is in a pretty centrally located area but I wanted to know if there was any way for me to have my router/cable modem in a room besides the one where the central panel is located and still have it route the signal to the other hard lines. If it has to be connected directly to the central panel than is there any way for me to use a second wireless router as a hotspot with the same wireless network ID? Any help would be appreciated!
    Draegan's bitch ass sold us out to MMORPG.com

Exodus underway to ReReRolled.org - A Gaming Community

Tuconots
    I would think that the only issue with placement at all is that your cable modem is still going to have to be near an actual cable jack, to accept the coaxial line going to it. Beyond that, everything else can be sent to whatever room you need via Cat5.

Tuconots
    I assume this "central panel" is a patch panel It's going to need a Network Switch to interconnect the runs to each room.

The Modem/Router can be anywhere in the house as long as they can be connected to the central switch by a run. You will need them together. You cannot plug your modem directly into the network. ONLY into the WAN on the router. The router is plugged into the network run/network switch from one of its LAN ports.

I would suggest the modem/router going in the main entertainment center area. It will already have coax for TV, and the Router can also behave as a 4 port switch, breaking out the wall jack to itself plus 3 devices.
    Last edited by brekk; 08-03-2013 at 07:23 AM.

Tuconots
    So I tried looking at routerboard... and looks a bit too complicated to find what I am looking for... because I am not sure if this will do what I need...

Hoping someone can recommend a router to me...

I need:
    OpenVPN
    Wireless N but compatible with Wireless G
    Gigabit Wired (at least 2 wired gigabit connections)

I want to NEVER have to power cycle my router again. After setup, if internet ever stops working it will be because of the modem... not the router.

Usage:
    16 wireless devices, 2 wired
    Max 50 wireless devices over 20meters

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Df~; 08-04-2013 at 06:58 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Df~ View Post
    So I tried looking at routerboard... and looks a bit too complicated to find what I am looking for... because I am not sure if this will do what I need...

Hoping someone can recommend a router to me...

I need:
    OpenVPN
    Wireless N but compatible with Wireless G
    Gigabit Wired (at least 2 wired gigabit connections)

I want to NEVER have to power cycle my router again. After setup, if internet ever stops working it will be because of the modem... not the router.

Usage:
    16 wireless devices, 2 wired
    Max 50 wireless devices over 20meters

Thanks in advance!
    Start here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Depending on your budget, you can buy one pre-flashed or roll your own from a cheap router. Anything with gigabit lan is going to be a little more expensive.

I've used and like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...FUei4AodaWoA2g

Tuconots
    The only drawback to that mikrotik is no 5ghz wifi. I'd still pick it over any ddwrt/openwrt combo.

Anyway, not sure why but this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833162070 is cheaper than the one Porkchop linked but with more features (5hgz wifi).

Tuconots
    Those Buffalos look nice. I remember a few years ago where you had to go on ebay and get some international Buffalo router and hope that it worked and all that shit. Good to see them available here. Might get one of those one day.

Tuconots
    I am building a media closet upstairs and need a switch to split the one incoming cat 5 cable. My main router is a netgear cg3000d tied with my mediacom service in the basement. What would be the most reliable, affordable option for the closet. I get a good wireless signal upstairs so i don't necessarily need to repeat the signal.

Tuconots
    I just got a ASUS (RT-AC68U), and love it. The range on this thing is stupid.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaita View Post
    I am building a media closet upstairs and need a switch to split the one incoming cat 5 cable. My main router is a netgear cg3000d tied with my mediacom service in the basement. What would be the most reliable, affordable option for the closet. I get a good wireless signal upstairs so i don't necessarily need to repeat the signal.
    If you just need to split it get whatever gigabit 5 or 8 port switch is the best deal on newegg. Switches are simple as shit, no point in spending a lot on one.

Tuconots
    Anyone using a decent wireless adapter in a desktop. I ordered Amazon.com: Edimax EW-7811Un 150 Mbps Wireless 11n Nano Size USB Adapter with EZmax Setup Wizard: Computers Accessories this one last week and its terribly slow even with the strong reviews. My computer is 20 feet from the router and my fastest speed test is 2mb when wired my speeds are around 30mb.

Tuconots
    I have had terrible results with every single USB wireless adapter I've ever bought. I strictly use a PCI-e card version in my desktop (Rosewill). Some may have better results, but I could never get anything even remotely decent with a USB dongle.

Tuconots
    Do you have good results with the PCI-e card?

Tuconots
    Yeah it's really reliable and I get a pretty good signal. Unfortunately it seems like they are making more and more of the USB dongles which I hate. Just try to grab a PCI-e card that's wireless N. I have the rosewill one with two antennae

Tuconots
    I use a PCI-e card and it works great. I use the Rosewill 3-antenna model, which is exactly the same piece as some of the bigger named units but costs less.

Tuconots
    I use a Rosewill USB 2T2R that I bought ~4 years ago. Works just fine.

2Mbps sounds like the adapter is stuck in UBS 1.0 mode. Can you ensure that the port you've plugged it into is running in USB 2.0 mode? Put a USB drive in the same port and see how fast a large file copies.

Tuconots
    Probably a dumb question, but after looking at the link to the self-powered USB network dongle...if a device draws its power from the USB port, does that cut in to the data bandwith that is available to the device, or are those things completely separate with no relation whatsoever to each other?

Tuconots
    The power won't but the port speed will affect the data throughput

Tuconots
    I appreciate the help. Installed this card today Amazon.com: TP-LINK TL-WN851ND Wireless N300 PCI Adapter, 2.4GHz 300Mbps, Include Low-profile Bracket: Computers Accessories and its working great. Getting the full speed of my service.

Tuconots
    I want a new router for my 1gbps internetz because my RouterBoard.com : RB951G-2HnD can't do more than 400-500 mbps while torrenting. Unfortunately Mikrotik doesn't have anything between the 80$ for the 600mhz 951g and 400$ for a RouterBoard.com : RB1100AHx2. That's a lot to pay for a router so I'm looking for alternatives.

Requirements are to be able to handle 1gbps pppoe with a few firewall rules, support for openwrt/ddwrt and not cost 400$.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by gogusrl View Post
    I want a new router for my 1gbps internetz because my RouterBoard.com : RB951G-2HnD can't do more than 400-500 mbps while torrenting. Unfortunately Mikrotik doesn't have anything between the 80$ for the 600mhz 951g and 400$ for a RouterBoard.com : RB1100AHx2. That's a lot to pay for a router so I'm looking for alternatives.

Requirements are to be able to handle 1gbps pppoe with a few firewall rules, support for openwrt/ddwrt and not cost 400$.
    Look into the Asus Rt-N66U or even the AC. They have some custom tomato builds and of course dd-wrt.

RT-N66U - Networking - ASUS

RT-AC66U - Networking - ASUS
    oderint dum metuant

Tuconots
    Those Asus routers have been getting incredibly good reviews

Tuconots
    Man, those are so shiny I don't think I could handle having one around all day long.

After some more googling I found this little guy EdgeMAX | Ubiquiti Networks, Inc. for 99$ and it's exactly what I'm looking for.
    Last edited by gogusrl; 10-31-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Tuconots
    I suppose if you want a rack-mounted router that will work

Tuconots
    I can vouche for the ASUS (RT-AC68U) Wireless-AC1900 Dual-Band Gigabit Router

Best router I have ever owned.

The coverage on that thing is stupid.

Hullabaloo Caneck Caneck! taebin's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Can the ASUS handle U-Verse HD streaming to wireless receivers? I was reading something about the mesh networking the AT&T router does could possibly be proprietary for the Cisco AP's that broadcast out to the receivers. Anyone have experience with this? Wireless in my house can be shit at times and thinking of just swapping out the router instead of buying repeaters for the house.

Tuconots
    I have an Asus N66U, its a great router, highly recommend it.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboo View Post
    I have an Asus N66U, its a great router, highly recommend it.
    I love mine as well.
    oderint dum metuant

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by suineg View Post
    Look into the Asus Rt-N66U or even the AC. They have some custom tomato builds and of course dd-wrt.

RT-N66U - Networking - ASUS

RT-AC66U - Networking - ASUS
    Has anyone tried the Asus RT-AC68U, or the D-Link DIR-868L ?

Tuconots
    IF anyone needs a really good gigabit wireless router

ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router $120 + Free Shipping w/ V.me by Visa Checkout - TigerDirect Deals, Coupons and Promos

Asus N66U for $120, normally $160. Nice sale

Tuconots
    Recently attached a nice Asus N66U to my network (thanks to some of the awesome comments about it). Was just wondering if general ISP modems have firewalls built into them as well and if its possible to disable it?

Tuconots
    I picked up the Asus N66W (same thing as the U, but in white) ... I did this to bypass my FIOS router so I wasn't dealing with the double NAT issue: How-to: make ActionTec MI424-WR a network bridge - Verizon FiOS | DSLReports Forums

Tuconots
    This is more software than hardware, but hoping someone can help me with a proxy/socks5/tunneling quandary. I need to be able to tunnel to a socks5 server and route certain programs (*cough* hearthstone/battle.net *cough*) through it on my work laptop. I set up a server using cygwin -> openSSH on my home network, and I can tunnel into with putty just fine, but none of the proxifiers I've tried so far (freecap, widecap, openVPN) have worked for me. I'm assuming user error as I've read like 5 guides at this point that all have the same instructions and work for people who aren't me, so I'm not sure what else to try.

It may be that I set up openSSH to not be socks5 somehow, although everything I've read implies it is. Although I've some experience using vpns/tunneling I have no particular experience proxifying or with socks5 in particular. Any expertise is much appreciated!

Tuconots
    Ok my router just died so I need a replacement. Reading over the thread a bit, Id like to know what a 'tik' is and why havent I heard of them until now? Im in IT and I thought I knew my shit.
    Last edited by Morbeas; 12-25-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbeas View Post
    Ok my router just died so I need a replacement. Reading over the thread a bit, Id like to know what a 'tik' is and why havent I heard of them until now? Im in IT and I thought I knew my shit.
    Mikrotik, all the features of Cisco for 1/10th of the price. They are amazing. ISPs even use them upwards of 5000 customers. I only learned about them when I started my own ISP, as they are pretty much the standard in the WISP world.

Pick out what model you want for what features you need, watch these videos: Mikrotik Training Videos MikrotikUniversity

Anything else can be done with the help of the wiki once you know the general stuff.

Tuconots
    Hey guys, I don't know much about networking, but I need to purchase a router that is appropriate for a small business. Day to day we only have 3 or 4 people on the network, but once or twice a week we run classes where we have 20-25 people who need to access wireless internet simultaneously for a period of an hour or so. Is there anything that is relatively easy to configure and fairly inexpensive that would fit this requirement?

Normally when it comes to consumer products I'm pretty good at researching this sort of thing, but the disparity in pricing for business-grade products like this leaves me feeling like I could really use some guidance.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Intropy View Post
    Hey guys, I don't know much about networking, but I need to purchase a router that is appropriate for a small business. Day to day we only have 3 or 4 people on the network, but once or twice a week we run classes where we have 20-25 people who need to access wireless internet simultaneously for a period of an hour or so. Is there anything that is relatively easy to configure and fairly inexpensive that would fit this requirement?

Normally when it comes to consumer products I'm pretty good at researching this sort of thing, but the disparity in pricing for business-grade products like this leaves me feeling like I could really use some guidance.
    Ive always had great luck with the Netgear ProSAFE line for small businesses. Maybe the ProSafe FVS318N? 8 gigabit ports and N wireless, firewall and hardware VPN all in one unit.

Registered User Frenzied Wombat's Avatar
    Tuconots
    I have the N66U as well, best router I've owned. Now if only I could get my TW cable service to be stable with their crap UBEE modem sitting in front of it..

Tuconots
    Need some recommendations on a Wireless Adapter, I did see a few recommended a page or two ago but I have more questions.

I currently have this D-Link Router.

Should I get a D-Link Wireless Adapter? Does that even matter?

Should I upgrade my router as well?

Tuconots
    I had been running my desktop on wireless until I got a couple powerline adapters for Christmas. It's made a huge difference in speed and stability. If anyone is currently using a wireless adapter for their desktop, look into powerline adapters. I had been on wireless because our office is upstairs and it wasn't practical to run cat6 through the whole house for a hardwired connection, and I can't believe I didn't look into powerline adapters sooner.

Tuconots
    Powerline adapters are very dependent on the age/quality of the wiring in your home. I have an older home (built in the 60s) and with powerline adapters I couldn't get more than about 15mbps download across them. Wasn't any better than my wireless.

Tuconots
    Mine hits my speed cap of 15 mbps, but now importantly it's dependable. My wireless connection was prone to frequent enough lag spikes that games like dota 2 were consistently ruined by 10 freezes or disconnects. My house is fairly new so old wiring want an issue, though. Definitely an item for which you'd keep the receipt in case it doesn't work as well as it should, since the are many variables at play. For me, it's been an insane upgrade for 30 bucks.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblio View Post
    Need some recommendations on a Wireless Adapter, I did see a few recommended a page or two ago but I have more questions.

I currently have this D-Link Router.

Should I get a D-Link Wireless Adapter? Does that even matter?

Should I upgrade my router as well?
    Really need to pull the trigger on an adapter purchase this weekend. Anyone care to throw their 2 cents in?

Otherwise I will purchase one the previously mentioned adapters, or perhaps the most reviewed/highest rated off newegg.
    Last edited by Oblio; 01-10-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Tuconots
    What kind of wireless adapter you want? USB Dongle? PCIe card?

I have the same router and it's still perfectly acceptable (my favorite router to date actually), but you could potentially upgrade. Doesn't matter that the brand matches your router at all.

Tuconots
    Looking for a PCIe Card.

Tuconots
    Rosewill N900PCE Wireless N Dual Band Adapter IEEE 802.11aWPA2-PSK, 802.1X - Newegg.com

I use one of those and it has worked well for me, don't be put off by the brand name.

Be careful, my brother ordered one too and it came in slightly bent and didn't work at all.

Tuconots
    Will do, thanks!

Tuconots
    Anybody have any experience with any of the TWC compatible modems? They gave me this piece of shit UBEE modem/router, and even when setup in bridge mode with all bells and whistles turned off it still locks up at least once a day. The list of compatible modems are below, but if any of you have TWC and bought your own modem, a recommendation would be appreciated:

Buy Your Modem | Time Warner Cable

Tuconots
    Been using the SB6121 fine for a couple years now.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathwing View Post
    Been using the SB6121 fine for a couple years now.
    Perfect, thanks.

Tuconots
    Finally got around to setting up my HP Microserver Gen8. Currently I'm testing distros to see which will provide me with the best performance. Looking to upgrade the cpu to a e3-1230v2 and adding some more ram / hard drives for a freenas installation as well.

Tuconots
    Finally got my Mikrotik online.

Now I need to figure out how to get one set of IP's to run over VPN and one to not.
    oderint dum metuant

Tuconots
    The MSI J1800I could be interesting for use as a router, new bay trail based celeron <10W, just need an ethernet card and a stick of ram.

Tuconots
    If you're building an x86 router today the only answer is the new Atom Rangeley.

For example : Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Atom Boards | A1SRi-2758F

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by gogusrl View Post
    If you're building an x86 router today the only answer is the new Atom Rangeley.

For example : Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Atom Boards | A1SRi-2758F
    Thats in a whole different price spectrum

Tuconots
    I wasn't sure where to put this question but I am fed up with Comcast and will be switching to Century Link 40mbps DSL. I have a SURFboard SB6121 modem so I am assuming it isn't compatible and will have to buy a new one. Should I just pay the $100 that is being attached to my offer or go buy one myself.

Also for any of you who have switched from cable to DSL how do you like it? I had 25mb Comcast and they were charging me fucking $66 per month where I can get 40mbps DSL for $30 from Century Link. Now I am sure it is just a promo but still.

Tuconots
    Supposedly DSL is more stable than Cable. Cable shares the bandwidth with people around you, whereas DSL is more a 1 to 1 link.

Considering getting a new router to not use TWC shit wireless router. Range is what's most important to me. I see you guys had a discussion about N66U and the AC68 both Asus, so which one would be more appropiate?

Tuconots
    Double Post, sorry
    Last edited by Oblio; 02-24-2014 at 07:25 AM.

Tuconots
    Rosewill N900PCE Wireless N Dual Band Adapter IEEE 802.11aWPA2-PSK, 802.1X - Newegg.com

I am able to connect to my network with the above adapter however the connection is "limited" so no internet access. I have tried all the netsh stuff in cmd with no luck. Any advice?

Using a Dlink DIR655 Router and Windows 8. The provider is Comcast with phone bundle so it is a Comcast Modem.

Tuconots
    I have read this thread and I have a basic question.

As I have mentioned before, I have a very low data cap and every once in a while I get spikes in downloads that I can't explain and it fucks up my life royally. I have been told that some routers have firmware that can monitor your bandwidth usage. Will any of them break it down to the point that you can tell which device or better yet which app is using how much data? Would something like a ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router be capable of that sort of thing? Is there another one that would be better? Right now I'm using a basic netgear router (WNR1000) that my satellite installer was kind enough to sell me because my old D-link DIR-655 was not compatible with my new satellite modem.

Please keep in mind that I don't speak networking so if you come at me with a bunch of jargon and acronyms I am going to have no idea what you are talking about.
    Last edited by BrutulTM; 02-24-2014 at 03:49 PM.

Tuconots
    On a side note. The question and answer section of Amazon is infuriating.

Q: Is this router a good modem for netflix?

A: I dont' know

A: No idea I don't use netflix

A: Couldn't tell you sorry

A: What is Netflix?

WHY WOULD YOU POST ON AMAZON TO SAY THAT YOU DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER TO A QUESTION?

Thread Information