Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Men's Fashion

Tuconots

Men's Fashion

God strike me down for making this thread. Please god, no swamp donkeys.

So I'm graduating soon, moving into a corporate world. I need to get a good amount of shirts/slacks/suits. I'm not going to be a fancy lawyer or anything, so I don't need absolute top of the line.

Thinking about heading over to Jos A. Bank and grabbing some suits. From what I've heard, their stuff isn't too bad and the prices are pretty good for starter suits.

I went to Macy's the other day and their suits were the shittiest things I had ever seen, and more expensive than more reputable places.

Where do you guys go for your fashion needs? I'd like to get a few solid suits for work, weddings, presentations, etc.

Also, what colors are the best to get in these situations? I was probably going to go for a bunch of dark/charcoal suits, but I'm not sure. Also, are there different suit styles? Literally know nothing about them.

Pardon me for making the gayest thread I have ever made.
    Noodleface#1412 - <Rerolled> US-Hyjal Horde - Noodleface

Follow me on Twitch! - Streaming Rerolled minivan dad raids Friday nights 9PM EST and Saturday mornings 11AM EST!

Tuconots
    If you buy one suit, buy a navy suit. I don't like black suits at all.

Brooks Brothers is where I've gotten my two suits. Navy and gray/charcoal. I probably only wear them a couple times a month but they've lasted me 6 years now. Brooks Brothers will also tailor anything you buy there for free, not sure about Jos A Bank or other places (for example, Nordstrom charges for some alterations but not all)

Tuconots
    I was thinking Charcoal too, maybe get an additional black for things like funerals (I seem to go to a lot).

Men's Wearhouse is giving me a free $500 suit for the tux rentals we have going through them, but it's not available until 2 weeks before I get married.

Follow me on Twitch! - Streaming Rerolled minivan dad raids Friday nights 9PM EST and Saturday mornings 11AM EST!

Tuconots
    Eyashusa is right, Navy and Charcoal are the best starting suits, black suits are for funerals and black tie events really.

As far as suit styles, there are basically American and Euro suits (I tend to favor Euro since American styles tend to be for fatter Americans). So pick one that works better for you if you are slender or a fatty
    https://www.google.com/search?q=euri...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Jos A Bank is definitely an American styled suit clothier. I never liked them at all, their suits seem to be tailored for men with horrible physiques. Best thing you can really do is to nail down a great tailor in your area (I use this guy in Chicago: http://paulchangcustomtailor.com/) and just bring him off the rack suits to tailor for you. Tailoring makes all the difference in the world. Go online and find a name brand suit that you like (CK, Hugo Boss, Burberry, DKNY, etc.) and then just take it to your tailor. For $400-$600 (cost of suit + tailoring) you'll have a suit that looks and fits great.

If you don't have a big budget to work with, I'd suggest not skimping on the suits, but cutting corners on other stuff. For shirts, ties and sweaters, you can hit H&M or Express.

P.S. Styleforum.net is one of the best men's fashion forums online and you can read their primer on buying a suit: http://www.styleforum.net/a/what-kin...t-should-i-buy

Tuconots
    Thanks for the link. Budget isn't really a concern, but I don't want to spent more than $400-600 at the moment as we will surely have last minute wedding expenses.

Tuconots
    Don't buy American styled suits ("banker" suits) as they are extremely bulky. Go for the slim fitted suits. Brooks Brothers is great, but, they are *extremely* expensive. Hugo Boss makes some excellent tailored and slim fitting suits.

Stay away from Men's Warehouses. They're cheap for a reason.

Tuconots
    I like Brooks Brothers as well. I tried looking at those style forums and others in the past but they seem to like the hipster, tight pants, weird looking shit.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuriin View Post
    Don't buy American styled suits ("banker" suits) as they are extremely bulky. Go for the slim fitted suits. Brooks Brothers is great, but, they are *extremely* expensive. Hugo Boss makes some excellent tailored and slim fitting suits.

Stay away from Men's Warehouses. They're cheap for a reason.
    This settles it.. going with the gay guy for fashion advice.

Tuconots
    -_-

Tuconots
    Araysar is right on the money in regards to H&M. They're low quality but they fit really well and they actually can look pretty good. They're also pretty fucking cheap so you can get a lot more for your money.

Tuconots
    I have two hugo boss suits (one a black 3 piece with i guess you could call it a textured stripe, and the other charcoal) and really like them. Got one at a HB store, and the other from Nordstrom. Had really good service from both locations.

I've only picked up casual clothes at H&M, and haven't been in a while, but they've been kinda hit and miss for me. I generally check out Banana Republic as well, and will sometimes find stuff I like quite a bit.
    Last edited by ToeMissile; 04-22-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Tuconots
    One of my favorite suits is my navy pinstripe, hugo boss 2 piece, double vented. Looks amazing

Tuconots
    Agree on slim fitting suits. Even if you are heavier, they are much better. Same with dress shirts. I always try to go with slim fit.

You need to define "extremely" expensive. Sure, Brooks Brothers has $1900+ suits, but their basic suit is $600 and that includes tailoring. You have to consider it an investment and I don't think that's a very expensive one if you take care of it and are wearing it often enough.

Check out Nordstrom Rack if you have one near you too.

Tuconots
    I learned how to tailor my own dress shirts (helped that the wife had a sewing machine already). Dress shirts in the US are made for fatties for the most part. In order to get one that fits me in the shoulders/arms, it ends up looking like a fucking parachute. So I take them all in. The difference between a tailored dress shirt and one that isn't is amazing. Makes you look like a totally different person. I have a few slim fitted dress shirts, but they're hard to find. It's easy for me to buy a $25-30 dress shirt, tailor it, and make it look like it cost $100.

I have one suit that I've only ever really worn to interviews.

Tuconots
    Nothing worse than a parachute dress shirt. Disgusting.

Tuconots
    For those that can't get their shirts tailored something simple like a military tuck in the back helps immensely. You can use "shirt stay" garters to be really amazing.

You know you have it right when you can grab your trousers and spin them around your waist a little bit left or right and your shirt never moves.
    oderint dum metuant

Tuconots
    I've gotten some really great fitting shirts from Frank & Oak, www.frankandoak.com - Similar site to Gilt, JackThreads, etc.

Where's my money Leo?
    Tuconots
    Make sure you know your American, Europe/French, and Italian suit sizes, yes they are all different. Get a cloth measuring tape to get your measurements. Also some clothing companies will vanity size their clothing. So while the tag may say size 34 waist in reality it is a size 32.

You may also want to wait for twice a year seasonal clearance sales where you can get most stuff off for up to 50%. Usually starts happening in June or so for spring depending on the store/brand.

Another two cheap options for suiting not yet mentioned you may want to look into is uniqlo(wish they still had j+ ) and jcrew (I know, I know).

At $600 you are kinda low balling it but should be able to find a great suit during sale time. Make sure you get a wool, wool/cotton blend. I would pass up any synthetic polyester blend suit. They tend to look tacky like men's wearhouse suits.

Tuconots
    I just recently got tired of not having a professional interview suit and went off the deep end spending a month's salary on a charcoal Ermenegildo Zegna suit. It certainly fucking fits though, jesus.

Tuconots
    Do you really need a suit every day or will business casual with a tie suffice? 600 USD might get you one suit, but there are a lot more items to fill the wardrobe. Shoes, belts, ties, cufflinks, shirts can easily exceed the cost of the suit itself. You might want to just pick up a few pairs of nice slacks and pair it with a shirt and tie. This will save on the cost of the suit jacket. This will halve the cost compared to the suit, or you could splurge for some nice slacks at 200-300 USD / pair. anyway, most people will notice your shoes or your belt far earlier than your suit brand.

as for hugo boss - a lot of the money is going to the style/brand - they aren't the best suits. I own a few hugo super 120's and have worn them once a week for the last 5 years, and they are definitely showing their age. They aren't stitched like a proper bespoke , they are fused (glued) together. You will notice it when you have them dry cleaned.

Tuconots
    What kind of job do you need to wear cufflinks every day?

Tuconots
    What kind of job do you need to wear cufflinks every day?
    cufflinks are just another accessory. You don't need to wear them, but neither do you need to wear a watch or a good leatherware.

Where's my money Leo?
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by splorge View Post
    cufflinks are just another accessory. You don't need to wear them, but neither do you need to wear a watch or a good leatherware.
    Yeah but they are a very formal accessory. Unless you are a wall street exec or at some very fancy function I would totally skip them.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixtilplix View Post
    Yeah but they are a very formal accessory. Unless you are a wall street exec or at some very fancy function I would totally skip them.
    Maybe in the US, but not in europe or asia. Cufflinks are pretty standard if you favour french cuffs, but they don't have to be anything other than silk knots. They are very common in office wear.

Tuconots
    as for hugo boss - ...They aren't stitched like a proper bespoke , they are fused (glued) together. You will notice it when you have them dry cleaned.
    They have both. At least one of mine is stitched, made sure of it.

Tuconots
    Maybe in the US, but not in europe or asia. Cufflinks are pretty standard if you favour french cuffs, but they don't have to be anything other than silk knots. They are very common in office wear.
    I think most people would wonder wtf you were thinking if you wore them in the US. Its not like a watch or quality leather. It's more like showing up with a top hat.

Tuconots
    yeah I haven't seen someone wear a french cuff shirt outside of a wedding or other black tie event in a long time... but maybe I just hang out with the wrong crowd.

Tuconots
    Thank god my industry (automotive engineering) went full blown business casual back in the mid 90s. I hated wearing ties and shit. Now its all about a nice shirt, some docker type pants and you're good to go. So much more comfortable sitting in the office all day long now.

Tuconots
    I can't even see people wearing cufflinks every day in Europe unless you're perhaps working in retail where you shop for clothing or specifically accessories. They're very formal. Agree with you on the watch.

Tuconots
    Cufflinks are very formal but couldn't you tone it down with a silk knot instead? I've only got one french cuff shirt and a pair of cufflinks but sometimes I find a really good french cuff and pull back because of the cufflink issue. I wouldn't see wearing such attire for a business casual office however. It does seem like you'd be overdoing it.

Tuconots
    Chalk it up to regional differences then. cufflinks can be formal, but they are also used for quite the opposite. Guys will wear some pretty whimsical links depending on their mood; animals, action figures, vehicles, whatever they feel like. Its used as a way to show your personality. I will say that french cuffs are quite popular in asia, so that may have something to do with it.

Tuconots
    So.... Any chance someone can recommend a good relaxed fit jean? I've been searching for months for some good jeans since all of mine are starting to look a little ragged.

No skinny jeans or tight hipster looking crap. Something I can wear in a work place as well.

Tuconots
    All I can tell you is that I used to buy $200 jeans and eventually I realized I was being stupid.

These days I just wear Banana Republic jeans or Levi's.

Tuconots
    I don't get the cufflinks only being formal wear argument. Cufflinks look nice regardless of the situation or what you are wearing them for and can be worn for any occasion. One of my co workers is obsessed with french cuffs, wears them almost every day to the office and wears them out at night. I think they look good for anything personally.

The dude I mentioned also pulls more pussy then anyone I know. Not saying the cuffs are directly related to it, but they certainly aren't hurting his cause. lol

Tuconots
    If he's pulling more "pussy" than anyone you know, then, he's probably gay. Bitches love fags.

Tuconots
    LoL, naw that's not the case.

I just think since you don't see many people wearing them that people think they are for formal wear and that's it. Just because it's not common in areas doesn't mean it's only meant to be worn a certain way. -shrug-

I have friends who live out in the middle of no where who think ties are only formal wear. Where they live people only wear ties to church and when someone dies and telling them otherwise will cause them to laugh at you. Same goes for this really, just depends on where you're at.

prescient63
    French cuffs are perfectly acceptable any time you are wearing a suit. I usually end up wearing silk knots as I travel constantly, and I don't want to worry about leaving expensive cuff links in a hotel room. The other nice thing about silk knots is that you can get them to match a tie or pocket square, and a pocket square is always a nice touch as well.

On Brooks Brothers suits. I have suits from both their inexpensive line and the Golden Fleece line. Generally the higher end suits aren't going to be fashion forward as folks who are willing to drop $2k on a suit don't tend to be in that great of shape. However, I do really like the fabric on the Golden Fleece suits, specifically the Cavendish fabrics.

When you go shopping for suits I would check out Off 5th and Nordstrom Rack. You want to look for suits that are fully canvassed as they will last longer and wear better. The inexpensive Brooks Brothers are only half canvassed. Most Hugo Boss suits are fused. Additionally, make sure you thoroughly inspect the suits as they can be imperfect in some cases.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/0...nvassed-suits/
    Last edited by prescient63; 04-24-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Tuconots
    Speaking of jeans, does anyone know of any good brands for someone with big legs? Been back at the gym a lot lately and my quads have blown up. It's business casual here, but today I'm wearing jeans and holy crap they're tight! I don't want fat people jeans (I'm 165), just something that might fit better in the upper legs. I want to say I'm at 24" legs at the moment.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by bazazu View Post
    So.... Any chance someone can recommend a good relaxed fit jean? I've been searching for months for some good jeans since all of mine are starting to look a little ragged.

No skinny jeans or tight hipster looking crap. Something I can wear in a work place as well.
    I'm slowly swinging towards what Araysar said, but my $200 pairs of jeans lasted me 6 years so I considered them a good investment. The last pair of jeans I bought were... Mavi or some brand I've never heard of. They were about $60 at Nordstrom Rack.

I really don't even care what the brand is anymore. I have such trouble finding jeans that fit correctly that I'll buy anything as long as it fits.

Tuconots
    Mavi are really good jeans IMO, a couple pairs of them have been my favorite jeans in the past few years. I think they're Turkish or something like that. They're not ridiculously expensive, seem to be of reasonable quality, and don't tend to go the direction of other brands with fading and ugly stitching and jeweled back pockets. I've only bought a few pairs of $100+ jeans over the years. Two pairs of Seven For All Mankind which I fucking loved, but which fell apart after a year. And two pairs of Diesels, one which I stopped wearing because I just didn't like the cut/fit, and another which I just picked up last week and haven't worn yet.

I'm not too picky about brands for jeans. The larger lines have dozens of different styles/cuts, it's just a matter of finding the one that fits you. I like straight leg cuts for the most part, need some extra room in the butt and legs due to how diesel they are, and can't stand how 75% of jeans on the rack look ridiculous with a shitload of artificial fading and bedazzled back pockets etc. I might have 3-5 pairs in rotation at any one time, so I don't find they last me more than 2-3 years at most. Almost all of them wear out in the crotch.

Tuconots
    I usually wear 501s cause I like button jeans better. It annoys me that that style is so rare in the US.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Eomer View Post
    Mavi are really good jeans IMO, a couple pairs of them have been my favorite jeans in the past few years. I think they're Turkish or something like that. They're not ridiculously expensive, seem to be of reasonable quality, and don't tend to go the direction of other brands with fading and ugly stitching and jeweled back pockets. I've only bought a few pairs of $100+ jeans over the years. Two pairs of Seven For All Mankind which I fucking loved, but which fell apart after a year. And two pairs of Diesels, one which I stopped wearing because I just didn't like the cut/fit, and another which I just picked up last week and haven't worn yet.

I'm not too picky about brands for jeans. The larger lines have dozens of different styles/cuts, it's just a matter of finding the one that fits you. I like straight leg cuts for the most part, need some extra room in the butt and legs due to how diesel they are, and can't stand how 75% of jeans on the rack look ridiculous with a shitload of artificial fading and bedazzled back pockets etc. I might have 3-5 pairs in rotation at any one time, so I don't find they last me more than 2-3 years at most. Almost all of them wear out in the crotch.
    Wear out in the crotch? Stop dry humping!

The jeans that lasted me years were 7s, and I agree about Mavi... that's what stood out was how plain they looked which is fine with me.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Elurin View Post
    Speaking of jeans, does anyone know of any good brands for someone with big legs? Been back at the gym a lot lately and my quads have blown up. It's business casual here, but today I'm wearing jeans and holy crap they're tight! I don't want fat people jeans (I'm 165), just something that might fit better in the upper legs. I want to say I'm at 24" legs at the moment.
    165 lbs with 2 foot quads. That just sounds hilarious.
    Last edited by Araysar; 04-24-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Tuconots
    I'd love to hear the answer to this as well because I've got pretty thick legs. I can find tons of jeans that fit great on my waist and calves, but they're super tight on my upper legs.

If I want jeans that fit my thick legs it means I have to move up an entire waist size (or two) which results in incredibly baggy looking jeans.

Tuconots
    if you're looking for good jeans, get some tellason raw denim and wear that shit for a year without washing.

Tuconots
    That shit just sounds like a pain in the cunt. I have zero interest in this "raw denim" fad.

Tuconots
    I've been exclusively wearing raw denim for like 4 years now. Not sure if it's really a 'fad' nor how it is is a pain. Right now I'm breaking in a pair of Samurais I bought a few months ago.

Tuconots
    I absolutely love banana republic jeans. Look good and so damn comfortable. They do tend to wear down pretty quickly though. Every pair I get always ends up with a huge hole in the crotch. I keep buying them though as they are super comfortable and fairly cheap.

Tuconots
    One of my good friends is a Denim manufacturer in South China... I asked him why all my jeans end up getting a hole in the crotch...

His professional explanation: Sweat accumulates there and evaporates leaving the salts in the material... which then gets rubbed together every step you take. His suggestion: rinse your jeans frequently (no detergent or soap) just water.

If you guys have any other questions I have no problem asking him anything reasonable.

Tuconots
    Or buy heavier weight denim. I even wear Nudies pretty regularly which are notorious for crotch blowouts so I don't know why it happens to some but not others. If you want a good cheap pair of jeans just get some unbranded selvages. They'll probably cost about the same as any mall designer brand but last about 10x longer. You don't need to go crazy and buy Iron Heart, Samurai, Pure Blue Japan, Momotaro or any of the other extremely high end denim brands but you can still get a pair of quality selvage denim with decent stitching (sadly Unbranded is fairly hit and miss with their stitching quality) that will last a good long while.

I'm obsessed with denim so if anyone has questions feel free to ask. Or at least in the raw denim scene. If you need to ask about Banana Republic, 7FAM, JBrand or any other "designer" then I'm not your guy ... although I do own like 10 pairs of 7FAM also >_<

Tuconots
    I've also been trying to move over to buying more of my clothing from first world countries. I find the quality, fit, construction and everything much better. It isn't so much a social stance although I do feel kind of odd basically supporting slavery and child labor by purchasing third world country clothes but that is really a minor point. I just like the quality first world countries provide. However the hardest was getting shoes from a first world country. I was feeling pretty childish at work wearing sneakers every day so I was looking for a boot style in leather that looked semi-casual (like I could wear everyday) but also presentable. I settled on these Red Wing Chukkas and I'm in love with them. The leather is top notch (even if it is genuine leather) and stiff as hell. Took me at least 2 weeks of wearing them to make them anything close to pliable. I also think they'll wear in really nicely.

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Wing-Beckm...ed+wing+chukka

As for winter/spring I'm also a huge fan of vests. I've talked about Canada Goose before because I own one of their true winter jackets (http://www.amazon.com/Canada-Goose-C...ose+chilliwack) but I also purchased their down vest as well. I'm really digging it but it may be a bit heavier weight than I need. It is pretty much like my winter jacket minus the hood and sleeves but I love it for walking my dog in the mornings on cooler spring mornings. (http://www.amazon.com/Canada-Goose-F...oose+freestyle)

I'm also breaking in a denim jacket that I wear when I'm not wearing my Samurai jeans since they both look pretty much identical. I'm not sure now much I love it. I got it 50% off. (http://shop.nudiejeans.com/en/produc...anic-dry-denim). Sadly it isn't selvage so the denim quality isn't top notch. No clue how long it'll take to wear it out. But Nudie is my brand so when I saw it for under $100 I had to jump on it.

The only thing I'm really having issues moving over to buying 1st world is my socks and underwear. I know where I can buy boxers made in America but I'm having a hard time paying $30-$40 a pair especially since my Hanes brand underwear lasts me forever. I could also buy American Apparel's but I already have 3 pairs of their underwear and it is terrible. I look like a flaming homo in it and it doesn't have a crotch hole since it is 'unisex.' So I'm sticking with Hanes/FOTL.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenks View Post
    I've also been trying to move over to buying more of my clothing from first world countries. I find the quality, fit, construction and everything much better. It isn't so much a social stance although I do feel kind of odd basically supporting slavery and child labor by purchasing third world country clothes but that is really a minor point. I just like the quality first world countries provide. However the hardest was getting shoes from a first world country. I was feeling pretty childish at work wearing sneakers every day so I was looking for a boot style in leather that looked semi-casual (like I could wear everyday) but also presentable. I settled on these Red Wing Chukkas and I'm in love with them. The leather is top notch (even if it is genuine leather) and stiff as hell. Took me at least 2 weeks of wearing them to make them anything close to pliable. I also think they'll wear in really nicely.

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Wing-Beckm...ed+wing+chukka

As for winter/spring I'm also a huge fan of vests. I've talked about Canada Goose before because I own one of their true winter jackets (http://www.amazon.com/Canada-Goose-C...ose+chilliwack) but I also purchased their down vest as well. I'm really digging it but it may be a bit heavier weight than I need. It is pretty much like my winter jacket minus the hood and sleeves but I love it for walking my dog in the mornings on cooler spring mornings. (http://www.amazon.com/Canada-Goose-F...oose+freestyle)

I'm also breaking in a denim jacket that I wear when I'm not wearing my Samurai jeans since they both look pretty much identical. I'm not sure now much I love it. I got it 50% off. (http://shop.nudiejeans.com/en/produc...anic-dry-denim). Sadly it isn't selvage so the denim quality isn't top notch. No clue how long it'll take to wear it out. But Nudie is my brand so when I saw it for under $100 I had to jump on it.

The only thing I'm really having issues moving over to buying 1st world is my socks and underwear. I know where I can buy boxers made in America but I'm having a hard time paying $30-$40 a pair especially since my Hanes brand underwear lasts me forever. I could also buy American Apparel's but I already have 3 pairs of their underwear and it is terrible. I look like a flaming homo in it and it doesn't have a crotch hole since it is 'unisex.' So I'm sticking with Hanes/FOTL.
    Denim and down vests. This is how I am picturing you now:

hello_mcfly.jpg

Tuconots
    Joe's jeans

...nuff said

Get them at outlet stores, they're legit boutiquey jeans for hella cheaper than the actual stores at the mall...

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Df~ View Post
    One of my good friends is a Denim manufacturer in South China... I asked him why all my jeans end up getting a hole in the crotch...

His professional explanation: Sweat accumulates there and evaporates leaving the salts in the material... which then gets rubbed together every step you take. His suggestion: rinse your jeans frequently (no detergent or soap) just water.

If you guys have any other questions I have no problem asking him anything reasonable.
    Good to know. I jerk off a lot and a ton of cum gets down there. I've gone through 3 or so jeans -- albeit they are about 7 years old -- in the past 3 months. Two of them had been fixed but then torn again, lol.

Tuconots
    Got a decent suit from jos a bank. Had to be tailored to fucking hell. Looked like mc hammer pants

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I absolutely love banana republic jeans. Look good and so damn comfortable. They do tend to wear down pretty quickly though.
    Same. I like the boot cut fit personally. They are weird though because I've ordered different cuts from them and the material is different for relaxed indigo as compared to boot cut?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodleface View Post
    Got a decent suit from jos a bank.
    Oxymoron alert!

Tuconots
    Maybe he forgot to pick up his 4 free ones?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Araysar View Post
    165 lbs with 2 foot quads. That just sounds hilarious.
    Out of curiosity, where do you measure your quads anyways? I was curious tonight, I'm about 19" a few inches above the knee cap, and 23" mid thigh. What's the proper measurement?

Tuconots
    Pretty sure it's just around the largest part, so middle-ish.

Tuconots
    I used to measure mid-thigh, but read that you are actually supposed to just go at the largest part. And I was wrong, it's a touch over 23 inches.

Tuconots
    Levi's 569 series have served me quite well for the last couple of years. They're loose enough around the thighs without looking "baggy". But I guess it depends on the person really.

Tuconots
    I really like Naked and Famous jeans, They're raw denim like mentioned above though which isn't everybody's thing.

Tuconots
    Anyone know a good comfortable sandal that isn't the toe thong style?

Tuconots
    Just wear socks bro. Classy and comfortable.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrant View Post
    Anyone know a good comfortable sandal that isn't the toe thong style?
    A couple friends swear by Birkenstocks. Never worn them personally. I've had a few pairs of athletic sandals over the years that are super comfortable, but they're definitely not fashionable.

Tuconots
    A couple friends swear by Birkenstocks. Never worn them personally. I've had a few pairs of athletic sandals over the years that are super comfortable, but they're definitely not fashionable.
    second this, don't think such a thing exists...

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodleface View Post
    Got a decent suit from jos a bank. Had to be tailored to fucking hell. Looked like mc hammer pants
    I went there and left empty handed because everything is way too frumpy for a guy of a normal BMI. Ended up buying a suit from Express, and it is stylish as hell, tapered at the midsection, and required no tailoring save for the cuffs. I will only be wearing this suit for very special situations, so I wasn't concerned about it wearing out, as Express clothes seem to do.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    I went there and left empty handed because everything is way too frumpy for a guy of a normal BMI. Ended up buying a suit from Express, and it is stylish as hell, tapered at the midsection, and required no tailoring save for the cuffs. I will only be wearing this suit for very special situations, so I wasn't concerned about it wearing out, as Express clothes seem to do.
    If you are looking for a good quality suit at a decent price check out Nordstrom's Rack. I picked up a Ben Sherman suit there for ~$250, they will even tailor it for free if you buy a suit from them.

Tuconots
    I bought some shirts at brooks brothers, should I go back there to get them tailored to fit better or is that the kind of thing anyone competent can do.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashel View Post
    I bought some shirts at brooks brothers, should I go back there to get them tailored to fit better or is that the kind of thing anyone competent can do.
    I've never had a problem with shirts from Brooks Brothers fitting me so I've never had to have them tailor them... but if they will tailor them for free, you might as well. I've always had good results when they've tailored my suits that I bought there.

Tuconots
    Yeah after wearing the suit a few times, I'll probably not buy there again. It really had to be tailored to hell and most likely not worth it. I'm not obese but of a bigger than average frame. Jacket fit like a champ, pants were like MC hammer pants and made for someone 8 foot 3 inches tall.

prescient63
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashel View Post
    Depending on what your issue is with Brooks Brothers shirts Charles Tyrwhitt might fit you better. I've basically moved away from Brooks Brothers to CT shirts because CT shirts are much more tailored, and I don't have to spend $170 to get a shirt without a pocket. The other upsides include being able to pick your cuffs, spread collars, and metal collar stays. The only downside to CT is that I like instant gratification, and shipping from England doesn't help with that. Anyhow, they are almost always running a 4 for $200 special on shirts. I've also managed to pick up gift card coupons on sites like Living Social for 1/2 off and then use them on the shirts.

Tuconots
    Where do you guys buy shoes?

I'm a big fan of Johnston and Murphy and just bought a couple new pairs last night but I'm wondering if there are other shoemakers with similar quality but a lower price point. I'm redefining my wardrobe right now and have been spending probably more money than I should be so I'm looking for alternatives. To me a shoe can really make or break an outfit so I spend a lot of time looking for the right shoe.

Here is the black pair I bought, very traditional, classic look:
    http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/produc...1372&pid=22178

Here is a brown pair I bought:
    http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/produc...1215&pid=85232

And I have a nice pair of darker brown wingtips. It was a spur of the moment thing, but I'm feeling like I may have overpaid for the black ones, though they are really comfortable. All leather soles are pretty tricky to walk in, I slide everywhere.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by prescient63 View Post
    Depending on what your issue is with Brooks Brothers shirts Charles Tyrwhitt might fit you better. I've basically moved away from Brooks Brothers to CT shirts because CT shirts are much more tailored, and I don't have to spend $170 to get a shirt without a pocket. The other upsides include being able to pick your cuffs, spread collars, and metal collar stays. The only downside to CT is that I like instant gratification, and shipping from England doesn't help with that. Anyhow, they are almost always running a 4 for $200 special on shirts. I've also managed to pick up gift card coupons on sites like Living Social for 1/2 off and then use them on the shirts.
    Nice thanks, i'll check them out.

As an aside I've gotten a lot of compliments on my BB shirts so I suppose they look fine. Although it could be that it's just an upgrade from my usual boring look.

Shoes I had luck with Rockport. Comfortable and looks good. Not crazy expensive.
    Last edited by Dashel; 05-20-2013 at 05:58 PM.

prescient63
    Quote Originally Posted by Khane View Post
    Where do you guys buy shoes?.
    The guys and I at work are huge fans of Allen Edmonds. They basically last forever between being able to be resoled or having them recrafted.
    Last edited by prescient63; 05-23-2013 at 02:29 AM.

Tuconots
    Ties are for homos.

Tuconots
    allen edmonds are among the top made american dress shoes. I tend to favour italian shoe makers - ferragamo, artigiano, magnanni, all make excellent oxfords, some I have had over a decade and still look as good as the day I bought them. I have not had good experience with church's, I felt the quality was inferior. The holy grail of british shoes is john lobb, which are too rich for my blood. Its best to get a classic oxford/wingtip/cap-toe, you can look in the 50% off sale racks for past seasons and these types of shoes never go out of style. Stay away from monk strap, loafers, heavy brogue etc. at first until you have built up at least 3-5 pairs of more traditional styles.

A good shoe will last a long time, but only with proper care. If you are buying a 400+ USD shoe, invest in a (cedar) shoe tree, leave the shoes unworn two days for every day you wear it (this means you will need at least 3 pairs of shoes to get you through a week), and polish the shoes once a month or every 8 times you wear them, whichever occurs first. If you aren't prepared to take care of the shoes, then it will be a waste of money - keep buying your cole haan's or whatever every 2 years.

Tuconots
    allen edmonds are among the top made american dress shoes. I tend to favour italian shoe makers - ferragamo, artigiano, magnanni, all make excellent oxfords, some I have had over a decade and still look as good as the day I bought them. I have not had good experience with church's, I felt the quality was inferior. The holy grail of british shoes is john lobb, which are too rich for my blood. Its best to get a classic oxford/wingtip/cap-toe, you can look in the 50% off sale racks for past seasons and these types of shoes never go out of style. Stay away from monk strap, loafers, heavy brogue etc. at first until you have built up at least 3-5 pairs of more traditional styles.
    Ferragamo seems to suffer from the "Buy my name, not my quality" syndrome. Don't get me wrong, the shoes look great but... ~900 USD for a wingtip? ~300 USD for a polo shirt? Gimme a break. The Magnanni stuff seems a lot more reasonable. I almost threw up when I saw the prices on the John Lobb lines.

I think I'm going to start buying Allen Edmonds as everyone says the same thing "Great quality, last forever, can get them repaired whenever needed".

Tuconots
    Just bought first Brioni suit. Amazing how much different the fit, stitching, and lines look on a nice suite in comparison to a mens warehouse one (or the like). Don't feel too guilty about it. Yet.

Tuconots
    How much did you end up paying for it?

Tuconots
    Ended up just shy of $5k. I didn't even know what a nice suit was until a few months back at an Oil & Gas conference, I met an older guy at a dinner function and that mother fucker looked like James Bond. Just "sharp". Asked him where he bought his suit and he enlightened me. Won't buy another one for a while, but I've since stocked up on Z Zegna's on the cheap (Nordstrom Rack ftw! for about $4-600 a pop).

Tuconots
    Love my two Canali suits. Like you said, I feel sharp as hell in them. Only two suits I own at the moment, not counting the 4 button Hugo Boss one I got for my high school graduation that is so woefully out of style nowadays.

Tuconots
    Love my two Canali suits. Like you said, I feel sharp as hell in them. Only two suits I own at the moment, not counting the 4 button Hugo Boss one I got for my high school graduation that is so woefully out of style nowadays.
    Ya, I tried on a few Canali's first and really liked them but had neither in my size off the rack. Will definitely look into them again when it comes time to buy another nice suit. Something to be said for Italian suits - they just fit/look/feel better. Glad to have taken the plunge, but I'm afraid I've opened up a can of worms for future purchases haha.

Tuconots
    Nice. I'd really like to have a brioni or Tom ford but my job doesn't call for me to wear a suit. I actually miss the days of sharp tailored suit. I've been looking into getting something nice enough to wear to Vegas and other special functions throughout the year. I just can't bring myself to spend 5K on something to wear 5 times a year.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Khane View Post
    Ferragamo seems to suffer from the "Buy my name, not my quality" syndrome. Don't get me wrong, the shoes look great but... ~900 USD for a wingtip? ~300 USD for a polo shirt? Gimme a break. The Magnanni stuff seems a lot more reasonable. I almost threw up when I saw the prices on the John Lobb lines.

I think I'm going to start buying Allen Edmonds as everyone says the same thing "Great quality, last forever, can get them repaired whenever needed".
    Ferragamo shoes are actually quite decent. They have 3 levels of quality, the highest being Tramezza, with full grain leather, good year welted, and all that stuff that shoe snobs care about. Ive owned pairs from all three lines and never been disappointed with even the lowest quality SF. Allen edmonds are great quality, but they are built on really wide lasts. I also find them clunky and traditionalist. SF builds on a much narrower last so the RTW fits me better.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Echuta View Post
    Nice. I'd really like to have a brioni or Tom ford but my job doesn't call for me to wear a suit. I actually miss the days of sharp tailored suit. I've been looking into getting something nice enough to wear to Vegas and other special functions throughout the year. I just can't bring myself to spend 5K on something to wear 5 times a year.
    Z Zegna makes a nice looking, well cut suit and you can find them for (relatively) cheap at places like Nordstrom Rack, Bluefly.com, etc for $400-$800. Bought a few last year for $400 and they look really sharp. Don't think they are really high quality or anything, but if you're only wearing them a handful of times a year they will definitely suit (bazinga!) your purposes and look more expensive than they are.

Tuconots
    I wear suits basically every day, and have bought expensive and cheap alike, so here is my experience. My problem with suits is that they tend not to last more than 5 years before they start to look like shit/lose form/threadbare if you wear them regularly. This means you need between 5-10 nice suits at all times to get a decent wardrobe. Basically I buy 1 suit a year, and generally chuck a suit that is falling apart. If every suit is costing 2-3k, you need at least 15-20k USD startup cost for the suits alone, then a 2-3k/year upkeep. thats a pretty stiff cost to me. Also, the suit pants ALWAYS wear out before the jacket, so eventually you are left with a decent jacket but no matching pants. To offset this, I was buying 2 pairs of pants to go with each jacket, but this was less than ideal and more costly.

FYI, I normally get tailored suits and seldom buy off the rack, with a few exceptions. Fast forward to today, I almost never buy the really expensive suits anymore, I stick to something around 1k USD range. So what if you suit isnt in that super 150 zegna wool, and so what it might drape slightly less well, but if the tailoring is just as good (and no reason it shouldnt be) then nobody will notice or give a fuck. Who really can tell where your suit comes from just by looking?

IMO, save your cash for stuff that lasts decades, like shoes or a timepiece, which is what people are going to notice anyway.

Tuconots
    After reading this thread and others on various other forums I decided to take the plunge and buy an MTM suit. I did some research on canvas vs fused, waist suppression, single vs double breasted, 2 vs 3 button, etc etc etc (mostly just personal preference choices).

So after figuring out what I thought I wanted I went to a very highly recommended local tailor. I told him what I wanted and he showed me a ton of different fabrics from about 8 different manufacturers (Southwick, Adrian Jules, Primo Coat Company, Loro Piana, Vitale Barberis Canonico, E. Thomas, Harrison, W. Bill). Knowing nothing about any of these brands, the smart thing to do would have been to pick a few I liked, get the information from him, go home and research. Instead, I decided to buy a half canvas, single breasted, 2 button navy suit from Southwick (super 120s wool). I spent 1500 USD on it, it arrives next week. I haven't found any definitive information but I'm starting to feel like I overpaid (quite severely in fact). Anyone have any experience with Southwick and know what they usually go for? The suit isn't paid for in full yet and I feel like if I go in there with some factual pricing information and a pissed off look he might knock some of the cost off in hopes of retaining future business.

Tuconots
    I imagine you would be paying well over a thousand for a custom made suit regardless of the type of fabric you picked, but I've never gone that route so I can't say for certain that you got ripped off.

Unless of course this all happened in Thailand, then yeah, you got ripped off.

Tuconots

A good shoe will last a long time, but only with proper care. If you are buying a 400+ USD shoe, invest in a (cedar) shoe tree, leave the shoes unworn two days for every day you wear it (this means you will need at least 3 pairs of shoes to get you through a week), and polish the shoes once a month or every 8 times you wear them, whichever occurs first. If you aren't prepared to take care of the shoes, then it will be a waste of money - keep buying your cole haan's or whatever every 2 years.
    I just purchased a pair of black Ferragamo oxfords recently and have been very happy with them. The design is timeless and the quality of the leather and overall comfort are tremendous compared to some of the lower end oxfords that I've worn.

I don't at all agree with the comment about paying the extra money for the brand name. Sure, it's one thing to say that it is stupid to pay $600 or more for a pair of shoes. It's another thing entirely to suggest that the extra cost in a pair of Ferragamo's comes from the name and not from the far superior quality that you're getting in return. I would love it if Johnston and Murphy made a pair of shoes at that quality for $200. I would buy them all day long. I have several pairs of Johnston and Murphys that I wear regularly; I like them well enough, but the quality isn't even in the same ball park.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Prova View Post
    I just purchased a pair of black Ferragamo oxfords recently and have been very happy with them. The design is timeless and the quality of the leather and overall comfort are tremendous compared to some of the lower end oxfords that I've worn.

I don't at all agree with the comment about paying the extra money for the brand name. Sure, it's one thing to say that it is stupid to pay $600 or more for a pair of shoes. It's another thing entirely to suggest that the extra cost in a pair of Ferragamo's comes from the name and not from the far superior quality that you're getting in return. I would love it if Johnston and Murphy made a pair of shoes at that quality for $200. I would buy them all day long. I have several pairs of Johnston and Murphys that I wear regularly; I like them well enough, but the quality isn't even in the same ball park.
    J&M quality went in the shitter when they closed their Tennessee factory and moved all production overseas to thailand or wherever. They are now clumped in the same sellout category with cole haan and kenneth cole. It is pretty much down to AE and alden for american shoes, I think there might be 1 or 2 more brands that are quality but i cant be bothered.

My cheapest pair of ferragamos is from the much reviled and now discontinued studio line purchased in 2006. At the time i was delighted to get a pair so cheaply, and when I later realized the sole was cemented rather than stitched, I was really pissed off. Here I am 7 years later and the shoes are as good as the day I bought them and still going strong.

photo (60).jpg
    Last edited by splorge; 05-31-2013 at 02:15 AM.

prescient63
    One day I shall own a pair or two of Berluti shoes.

berluti 3.jpgberluti_shoes_559x360.jpgguide-how-to-care-for-leather-shoes_2.jpg

Tuconots
    Oh, like those Berluti, especially the far right. There was a men's store locally where the business next door caught fire. To cash out on insurance and smoke damage the store was selling everything for 50% off. Couldn't pass up a couple pair of AE at 50%, love them.

Tuconots
    For those on a budget but want to dabble with custom made suits...

http://www.indochino.com/
    http://www.blacklapel.com/

They are done all online and I have no personal experience with them. From what I've read, the majority enjoy them... but people have been sent wonky suits before that don't fit properly. If a tailor can't touch it up, I know Indochino will re make the suit for you.

Another option for those on a budget...

http://us.suitsupply.com/on/demandwa...n_US/Home-Show

Benefit of suitsupply is they have been expanding recently and opening stores in major American cities, so you can actually walk in and check them out. Mostly on the east coast, but Seattle, Dallas and Denver are opening soon. I'm pretty sure they do custom made suits as well, but they will run you more than Indochino or Black Lapel.

As far as shoes, I too have heard J&M have gone down in quality as of late. I'm looking to invest in some AE's in black and brown before the end of this year (recent law school grad... but no job lined up just yet).

Tuconots
    I've been meaning to get myself at least one nice suit. The ones I have are just meh. $2k I can rationalize spending but 5k I'm not ready to commit to. So what's my best bet at that price range as far as value?

Tuconots
    Do you just need a suit or do you need shirts, ties, shoes, belt, etc.?

Tuconots
    I think I'm going to update everything. I have nice shirts from Brooks Brothers, but I could use more of pretty much everything other than shoes.

I found this thread from the style forums that seems helpful:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/230570/b...nyc-under-2000

So basically just hit a Nordstrom or Barneys for the brands mentioned? Ralph Lauren Black Label, Zenga, etc? I know Brooks Brothers has their own store but not sure if the others do.

Tuconots
    Or you can find a custom clothier and get something like an Adrian Jules MTM soup to nuts which should cost you well under $2k and probably be nicer than anything you get at Nordstrom. I regret going with Southwick for my MTM over the Adrian Jules. It came in last week and while the pants fit perfectly I was practically swimming in the jacket. I don't know if this was a problem with the tailor/clothier who took my measurements or with the factory cutting the pattern and actually making the suit.

Now I have to wait another week for the alterations to be made. But this thing better fit WAY better than it did on Friday when I went to pick it up.

Thread Information