Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Service Providers(Internet & TV)

Tuconots

Service Providers(Internet & TV)

This is the thread for all discussions related to ISPs, Cable, Satellite, Fiber, etc.

Time Warner Cable: "Demand Not There for Google Fiber"

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/T...37?nocomment=1

I call BS

Tuconots
    Bad news for anyone wanting Google Fiber anytime soon outside of Kansas City

http://bgr.com/2012/12/07/google-fib...medium=twitter

Estimated cost of nationwide build-out of Google Fiber is $140 Billion. And Google only has $45 Billion total. So, yeah...

Tuconots
    Well no one wants them to do it for free; this is their test ground to see if they can make this work economically. Even if they only manage to break even on the isp side of things it may enable new services google is trying to push that can't be done because of current internet bandwidth to homes/businesses.

I really fucking hope this pays off in the long run.

Tuconots
    They don't need to bring it to all households, or even half of all households. They need to bring it to New York, Chicago, LA, San Francisco... basically, the major population hubs where people also have a demand for broadband. The interesting cost to quote would have been covering some of the largest metropolitan areas in the country. (I don't think that's the 50m people? Otherwise that'd suggest the cost is almost the same for urban households and rural households, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.) Nobody gives a shit if it's not available in the middle of nowhere. Somehow, I don't think they have 2 TVs streaming 1080p content while remotely accessing the work VPN. They also don't need to do it at the rock bottom prices they're offering in Kansas City. Their current rollout seems to be a way to see what happens if everyone had that kind of speed available, but of course they don't need 100% of the market for this to be a sensible investment.

Moreover, comparing the cost of a total investment with Google's market capitalization doesn't make sense. Nobody is suggesting they liquidate all their assets/IPs and invest it all into expanding broadband. What it does suggests is that with a budget of $4.5bn (assuming CAPEX is only the Fiber network?), they could easily cover all the major metropolitan areas in 5-10 years.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Soriak View Post
    They don't need to bring it to all households, or even half of all households. They need to bring it to New York, Chicago, LA, San Francisco... basically, the major population hubs where people also have a demand for broadband. The interesting cost to quote would have been covering some of the largest metropolitan areas in the country. (I don't think that's the 50m people? Otherwise that'd suggest the cost is almost the same for urban households and rural households, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.) Nobody gives a shit if it's not available in the middle of nowhere. Somehow, I don't think they have 2 TVs streaming 1080p content while remotely accessing the work VPN. They also don't need to do it at the rock bottom prices they're offering in Kansas City. Their current rollout seems to be a way to see what happens if everyone had that kind of speed available, but of course they don't need 100% of the market for this to be a sensible investment.

Moreover, comparing the cost of a total investment with Google's market capitalization doesn't make sense. Nobody is suggesting they liquidate all their assets/IPs and invest it all into expanding broadband. What it does suggests is that with a budget of $4.5bn (assuming CAPEX is only the Fiber network?), they could easily cover all the major metropolitan areas in 5-10 years.
    Because no on is the South or Mid-West use bandwidth like the city-folk? That is some stupid ass shit that I just read in your post. I expected more out of you.

Verizon did exactly what you are talking about. They only have their FIOS cable and internet service set up in large metro areas and anyone with a brain was begging them to expand to their city because of the speeds (up and down) that they offered. There is definitely a market for their services all over the country. Here in Oklahoma there are basically two bad choices, Cox and AT&T. The customer service is notoriously terrible for both so any player that came to town with good prices and decent service would see a flood of new customers. Doing better than the current crop of asshole providers would be pretty easy if Google go their shit together.

Tuconots
    I have to assume that when they talk about that $140B figure to get to "everybody", they are actually talking about getting to everyone that currently has broadband available(either DSL or cable). While that does include a lot of small towns all over the country, that still excludes a lot of people that live outside of city limits all over the place. They don't literally mean every single person, they aren't ever going to be running fiber to a house that is 10 miles out in the woods with nothing around it, just like Cable and DSL don't run to those people either. So that is 140B to basically match the coverage that DSL & Cable provide today.

I do agree with Soriak on one point, if they roll out Google Fiber in NY, LA, San Fran, Chicago, etc, it is going to create a public demand elsewhere that other companies might step up to fill. I'm pretty sure that has been Google's plan all along, to roll out *just* enough fiber to spur competition and make other companies do it. Google doesn't want to cover the whole US, but they very much want someone else to do it, it's just taking some prodding to do it.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidDeath View Post
    Because no on is the South or Mid-West use bandwidth like the city-folk? That is some stupid ass shit that I just read in your post. I expected more out of you.
    It's about population density and trend setting.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenas View Post
    It's about population density and trend setting.
    I understand that, but that isn't what he said. He said people outside major metros wouldn't have a need to stream multiple 1080p streams and VPN at the same time. It is simple economics that Google would build out the major metro areas first, but to act like those are the only people who would user or benefit from gigabit internet is just asinine.

Tuconots
    It’s Time to Fix the Pitifully Slow, Expensive Internet Access in the U.S.

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2012/12...Top+Stories%29

Tuconots
    Pretty much sums up the experience most people have with their cable company

http://theoatmeal.com/pl/state_web_w...2/google_fiber

Tuconots
    I cant get Google Fiber fast enough. FWIW, I'd had enough of Clear's bullshit business practices, and I didn't want to pay a couple hundred extra to have them bring cable app 1000ft to the house. I think I got about the same speed with Clear on occasion. I will prob start looking for a new apartment with Fiber this summer.

Spoiler: 

On a side note, a friend of mine in Merriam had been using Time Warner for a while now, and kept having his internet go out sporadically. Think he said other people on part of the street had the same problem, but Time Warner never fixed it and always said they couldn't find an issue. Then a month or two ago they talked to Sure West and found out they could get some sort of fiber on their street (IIRC) so they changed over. And this kind of came out of the blue, too. After Googling a bit I guess they've had fiber in that area for at least 4 years now, and we talked about how we hadn't really even heard of Surewest much before.

http://stopthecap.com/2012/09/05/kan...liment-google/

SureWest, which believes strongly in fiber service, is busy laying fiber in conduits in Fairway, Mission, Roeland Park — all in Kansas. It also offers service in Lenexa, Overland Park, Shawnee and parts of Kansas City, Mo.

With all of this fiber, some Kansans may soon be able to choose between two competing fiber to the home providers.

SureWest General Manager of Kansas City operations Matt Zuschlag says SureWest’s fiber broadband service, which tops out at 50/50Mbps, will work just as well as Google’s gigabit (1,000Mbps) service because most web sites don’t need super fast speeds to load equally as fast. Even some bandwidth-intensive applications will not be able to take full advantage of Google’s fiber speeds because the networks currently supporting them were not designed to deliver sustained gigabit speed to end users.

SureWest works good enough for communities like Prairie Village, which is asking the company to wire its community for fiber service, regardless of where Google expands next.

SureWest competes with traditional cable and phone companies — Time Warner Cable and AT&T in the case of northern Kansas, and sells traditional triple play packages of phone, Internet, and television service.

But SureWest says its fiber network is always laid underground, which the company says offers improved reliability. Google Fiber is being installed largely on overhead lines alongside other utility services. SureWest says going underground allows it to skip the delays associated with obtaining pole use permits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
    Haha. Hey Alex, since apparently you're reading this, at least my version of FoH stayed relevant until 2012. You managed to turn it into a 5th-rate guild within months of me moving on to EVE and ceasing my recruitment activities. You really showed us all how amazing you are when you invited the entire IRC channel to the WoW guild and let Ravvenn alienate everybody but her 5 friends in your absence.

Tuconots
    I'm over in Lees Summit(suburb of KC), we might never get google fiber. Sucks to be so close to it yet I can't get ahold of it. Crappiest part is that I lived in North KC up until 3 years ago, and that area is due to get fiber later this year.

Time Warner out here is decent, I pay $60 a month for the 30mbit service, but I'd sure as hell rather pay $10 more for 1000mbit service if I had that option

Tuconots
    This year in what used to be Qwest territory (now controlled by Century Link)areas that already have fiber in them capable of 40mb speeds, they will be rolling out 60, 80 and 100. IT's been in our systems for awhile now, we just don't have a price point attached to it yet, as soon as they figure that out I think it'll be good to go. Sometime second quarter I believe.

We will also be rolling out new promotions for stand alone internet. Much like every other provider we have the 6 month promos for internet at $29.99, however we are now going to extend that for a year. 40mb interweb for a year isn't to shabby I think.

This is what our 40mb service looks like.

2431641341.png
    Last edited by Tarrant; 01-12-2013 at 05:18 PM.

Tuconots
    Just to make you all feel better about your ISP, this is what $79.99 gets you when you live in the sticks.

Did I mention the 17GB download cap?

Tuconots

Tuconots
    Verizon FiOS in Socal, 69.99$

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by BrutulTM View Post
    Just to make you all feel better about your ISP, this is what $79.99 gets you when you live in the sticks.

Did I mention the 17GB download cap?
    That's goddamn brutal, I'd have to move.

I regularly use 300-500GB of bandwith a month on my home ISP

Tuconots
    My in-laws live a couple miles outside of Springfield Illinois and were paying upwards of $100/month for 2Mb/s with a 2 gig cap with some terrible DSL company. Literally their only option until AT&T(I think) finally extended close enough about 3 months ago. Now they're paying for their only other option, a T1 line (20Mb/s) for $70/month.

Meanwhile, in Utah...

$25/month
    No cap.
    Last edited by Kinkle; 01-15-2013 at 12:22 AM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboo View Post
    That's goddamn brutal, I'd have to move.

I regularly use 300-500GB of bandwith a month on my home ISP
    The cap is by far the worst part. I could actually upgrade to like 12 mB but with the same data cap I see no reason to. 3mB is fine for surfing and more speed would just make me want to do things that would destroy my cap in an hour.

Tuconots
    I had FiOS and loved it until Verizon sent a cancellation after I had altered my service, not canceled. After calling Verizon they said that my account was still be open so I didn't have to pay the bill. After several months I got a letter from a collection agency for delinquency to pay a bill. They were able to explain to me that when you alter our service Verizon closes your account and opens a new one, without informing you. I called Verizon's billing department and explained the situation and paid the old bill. They assured me that it wouldn't affect my credit score and low and behold 2 years later it is on my credit report and lowered my score about 40 points. After months of calling different parts of Verizon they refused to submit a removal request to the credit agencies because "there systems showed no error on the part of Verizon." Needless to say, I've gone back to Comcast and hate it... but its the principal of it.

Tuconots
    FIOS Virginia

Where's my money Leo?
    Tuconots
    Anyone here have had service issues with FIOS in the past. I am on a 15/5 line and starting two weeks ago download speeds went down the crapper. I would be lucky to get 1 mbps download now. Upload speed is not affected at all. I ran their optimizer which modifies the modem tcp settings but shit is still slow as fuck. I called them and they sent a replacement router/modem which did not even turn on. Called them again and they decided to send a repair guy to replace the modem. I guess they thought I was some noob. Anyways the modem that the repairman installed worked fine and my speeds were back to normal that day. Then the evening came and it went back to sub 1 mbps speed again. Going on 3 years with fios and this is the first time shit like this has happened. Logged into the router and made sure no one was stealing my bandwidths and also disconnected all other devices except my laptop. I really don't know what it could be.

Tuconots
    The perks of living in eastern europe

Torrent downloads cap out at ~80 mbps. ~20$ / month for this + land line + mobile (5 cents / m to ~90% of the world + 4gb internetz) + 3g stick (4gb traffic) + cable TV. Add about 10$ worth of mobile usage and it ends up to ~30$ a month.

Guess there's some healthy competition around here.

Tuconots
    I don't even... I hate you right now.

TekSavvy is a great ISP, but they're limited by the offerings that they can resell.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by gogusrl View Post

Torrent downloads cap out at ~80 mbps. ~20$ / month for this + land line + mobile (5 cents / m to ~90% of the world + 4gb internetz) + 3g stick (4gb traffic) + cable TV. Add about 10$ worth of mobile usage and it ends up to ~30$ a month.

Goddamn ping of 2ms it the most impressive part of all of that. I have pretty decent speeds on my cable here in the middle of the US, but I'm never below ~50ms ping to anywhere

Tuconots
    I live in a small city, but thank god our local power company offers fiber:

That's on wifi on the other side of the house from where the router is. I had AT&T DSL for a few years before switching to Comcast cable, both of which sucked huge dick. As soon as our local power company begin offering fiber, I jumped on it immediately. That was about two and a half years ago. The customer service is fucking fantastic, the service has never went down, and it's just overall fucking fantastic.

Tuconots
    Those are some crazy numbers. I'm pretty happy with mine considering it's only $29.99 a month.

Tuconots
    Now, if only I could have this at home...

Tuconots

I've always been curious as to specific countries and their policies, as they pertain to telecom and the like. In America it seems like companies really had no reason to expand or improve their services, because all of the competition was willing to sit on their current infrastructure and overcharge instead of taking some amount of risk and competing with others. I think that's why so many people here hate, even detest, companies like Time Warner. We've always suspected that those companies were full of shit and refusing to upgrade like they could have; Google now is simply forcing the issue and bringing it to light. And KC isn't the only city that has a shitload of dark fiber sitting around, these fucksticks could have moved forward if they wanted but they were happy to keep their ROI high by reinvesting as little as possible.

I hope all of these current ISPs get forced out of business.
    Haha. Hey Alex, since apparently you're reading this, at least my version of FoH stayed relevant until 2012. You managed to turn it into a 5th-rate guild within months of me moving on to EVE and ceasing my recruitment activities. You really showed us all how amazing you are when you invited the entire IRC channel to the WoW guild and let Ravvenn alienate everybody but her 5 friends in your absence.

Tuconots
    I am currently living on island in the middle of the north fucking Atlantic with about 50k people on it and they are currently rolling out 400mb fiber. This island has twice the cows than people and its getting fiber.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by spanner View Post
    I am currently living on island in the middle of the north fucking Atlantic with about 50k people on it and they are currently rolling out 400mb fiber. This island has twice the cows than people and its getting fiber.
    Doesn't matter if you've got fiber to the back of your PC if all you've got to the island is a microwave shot, though. =)

But seriously, is there even sufficient service to the place to warrant it? It's one thing to roll it out, it's another thing to actually be able to put it to use.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Erronius View Post
    I've always been curious as to specific countries and their policies, as they pertain to telecom and the like. In America it seems like companies really had no reason to expand or improve their services, because all of the competition was willing to sit on their current infrastructure and overcharge instead of taking some amount of risk and competing with others. I think that's why so many people here hate, even detest, companies like Time Warner. We've always suspected that those companies were full of shit and refusing to upgrade like they could have; Google now is simply forcing the issue and bringing it to light. And KC isn't the only city that has a shitload of dark fiber sitting around, these fucksticks could have moved forward if they wanted but they were happy to keep their ROI high by reinvesting as little as possible.

I hope all of these current ISPs get forced out of business.
    I live in Romania and around here we kinda skipped the whole adsl part. Our whole landline infrastructure was owned by the state and they were very late to the internet party. All our major ISPs were at the beginning cable-tv providers and they just took advantage of the infrastructure they had already for cable. I remember going from dial-up to ethernet cable from the internet cafe on the corner sharing a 128 kbps connection to 5/10/20/50/80 mbps (not sure on those numbers) over the last ~10 years maintaining the price and adding more services.

I also have a 16mbps ADSL backup from the state owned company i was talking about earlier that is ~5$/month and ofcourse includes another land-line and cable tv.

Also, back in the day we had pirate ISPs in the most populated areas where someone would buy some bandwidth and start selling internet and throwing cables from one building to the next. I have a friend that still uses one and pays about 10$ for 100 mbps + cable tv.

Did any of you do the math on what kind of connection you could get for 1-2k $ / month in the States and splitting that up for an apartment block or some shit?

Tuconots
    Google Fiber "not a hobby" and Google Chairman states that they are thinking about rolling out the service to other cities

http://www.latimes.com/business/tech...tory?track=rss

Tuconots
    I figure this is a good thread to post this in.

Since I've been tethering I've had a lot of bad service, which I guess is to be expected - it is stopgap after all. But when I'm throttled down to 2G speeds it's almost unusable, depending on what I am trying to do. Recently, when messing around with Steam (something I hadn't done in a while) I noticed that when I'm not throttled that Steam works fine, but when I am throttled down, it doesn't work...at all. Steam will not DL a single bit, ever, period, which is odd. It will continually tell me that I have no connection whatsoever, suspend downloads, then restart the cycle all over again and do so indefinitely...or at least, until I am unthrottled again. What is frustrating is that my speed was averaging around a 56k modem speed, or slightly below - slow, but from what I could tell still within a range that Steam could operate. This is of course difficult to gauge since I can't find any "specs" for what Steam operates under.

I opened a ticket with Steam 2 1/2 days ago with no response, but tonight I started wondering about my ping. Usually I'd have a test with my ping at around 200ms, which to me seemed hella slow, but still something that could be worked with. But occasionally, I'd catch a ping at around 1800ms-2000ms, which seems unbelievably terrible. It was almost impossible to get a feel for how it was doing over time with speedtest.net, so I DLed some freeware from PingPlotter and this is the hilarity I came up with.

This first set isn't completely uninterrupted but the last 5 or so are one after another, @ 15s intervals:

Spoiler: 

Since I only have a users level of knowledge here, am I wrong in assuming that this is incredibly off the charts in terms of horrible, terrible latency? Also, since I'm anticipating the possibility of dealing with my service provider and being told some bullshit like "that's user error" or "your signal can be affected by outside conditions", is it possible that it could be a poor signal from my location to the tower? Bear in mind that I have no issues when I am NOT throttled, but I don't know if that is because when I am unthrottled I don't have such poor latency, or I do have similar poor latency but the higher unthrottled speed makes it less of an issue?

I'm guessing that it's safe to assume that this latency issue is bad enough to cause Steam to choke, but I'm still having a hard time with these results: with the Speedtest.net test, normally my ping was listed at around 200ms with the occasional 1800ms or so, with this test everything seems much higher with almost nothing as low as 200ms.

Tuconots
    Another set I ran just to see if the results would be similar.

DAT PACKET LOSS

Spoiler: 

Tuconots
    FIOS rocking it in Boston:

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Erronius View Post
    Since I only have a users level of knowledge here, am I wrong in assuming that this is incredibly off the charts in terms of horrible, terrible latency? Also, since I'm anticipating the possibility of dealing with my service provider and being told some bullshit like "that's user error" or "your signal can be affected by outside conditions", is it possible that it could be a poor signal from my location to the tower?
    I don't know if you have tried dialup lately, but almost no part of the internet works over it anymore. My Mom tried to get into her Gmail on dialup last summer and no matter how many times she tried the page would not load. Ditto for facebook. The internet is just not meant for connections that slow anymore. I'm sure the ping times aren't helping either. I have satellite internet and my ping averages around 1100 and I do have trouble sometimes with things timing out and the server on the other end just gives up. I don't have much experience with Steam but I have used it over the satellite connection and it worked whatever that's worth.

BamboozledTwentyFourSeven Illuziun's Avatar
    Tuconots

Unfortunately the fastest I can get, as my apartment complex has a contract with AT&T. It's pretty stable and cheap at least.

Tuconots
    I'm happy with this at $40. Upload could be better but meh its all good for what I use it for.

Tuconots
    This may not be news, but I heard that Comcast and Verizon are teaming up to offer FIOS through Comcast. Not sure if this a good thing or bad.

Also, I can only pray that Google Fiber will come to Houston some day.
    Not a spelling nazi
    Definitions of LOSE on the Web:
    fail to keep or to maintain; cease to have, either physically or in an abstract sense; "She lost her purse when she left it unattended on her seat"

Definitions of LOOSE on the Web:
    not restrained or confined or attached; "a pocket full of loose bills"; "knocked the ball loose"; "got loose from his attacker"

Dispair - Community - Diablo III
    Dis# 1518

Tuconots
    It just means that Comcast will label it as Blast! Ultra! Extreme FIOS Xfinity Internet! and charge $60 more a month. I love how the prices just went up again across the board.

If that's true I wonder if it is because they are worried about Google.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Dis View Post
    This may not be news, but I heard that Comcast and Verizon are teaming up to offer FIOS through Comcast. Not sure if this a good thing or bad.

Also, I can only pray that Google Fiber will come to Houston some day.
    It's the other way in my area. We can't get FIOS and when I asked at the Verizon retailer if they had any info on if it was going to be available anytime soon the salesman handed me a Xfinity pamphlet and told me they had a partnership with them. He specifically never mentioned 'comcast' or 'cable' in any way he just said "Xfinity" a whole lot.

It took a great deal of self control to keep my mouth shut.

Tuconots
    Time Warner finally did something decent. After raising their speeds for their low-end internet plans last year (5mbps went to 10, 10 to 15, 15 to 20) , they finally adjusted their high-end plan speeds. I originally subscribed to their 30Mbps service a few years ago, as of the last week or two I'm now getting 50Mbps. Not sure what the 50 plan bumped up to, wonder if it is all the way to 100?

Also, since I'm in KC, I'm sure they are scared shitless of Google Fiber. I'd sign up tomorrow if I could, but it'll probably be years(if ever) before it gets to me out in the KC suburbs :/

Tuconots
    Did any of you do the math on what kind of connection you could get for 1-2k $ / month in the States and splitting that up for an apartment block or some shit?
    It many localities around the country this is illegal, or if it isn't, the local cable company will pay someone to block it.

I tried to start a fiber co-op in my small town, get big chunk of the town to commit a $$$ and use the amassed funds to build the last mile infrastructure to the nearest node. We had the money, contractors, etc all lined up, but the county refused to give us permits because it conflicted with some arrangement with Time Warner.

Some localities do manage to do it though, but for a good chunk of us, the cable companies squash that level of organization.

Tuconots
    Got an email from Comcast today that they doubled my speed for nothing more.

Tuconots
    I have the Comcast "Performance" plan, which is now 20Mb downstream. Did they double that from 10Mb? I thought I used to be limited to 10Mb, but their bill is completely uninformative, so I have no idea what speed I got when I had signed up for it.

edit: also, wtf FIOS? Costs an extra $25/month for 15/5.
    Last edited by Soriak; 03-27-2013 at 06:55 AM.

Tuconots
    Here is Uverse in Livonia mich. $50/month
    speed test.png

Tuconots
    Toronto, and this is cable not fiber. Cost is 120 a month, 10 bucks more then usual cause i have no cap

12134_539.png

Tuconots
    Yeah, but... it's Rogers. Doesn't paying them just make your head ache?

Tuconots
    Shit I'd pay that much too for 241mb

Tuconots
    I'd give it a very long pause if it were Rogers. Now, if it were TekSavvy (they only go up to 150 Mbps starting @ $85/month), I'd pay that in an instant. The difference is in the fact that TSI and other small providers up here generally do a good job of shielding you from the bullshit that Rogers trades in.

Tuconots
    Sorry to break the discussion here but I was wondering if anyone here used Dish? If so, how is it?
    I have Insight cable right now but they were bought out by Time Warner and I'll keep my internet through them but I am sick of the compressed 720 HD shit cable puts out.
    I had direct tv before and the picture was pristine HD all the time on everything, but I had a bad CS issue with Direct and won't go back to them.
    I would also save $30 a month and get more channels doing it, but I have never had Dish. My satellite experience is simply Direct TV and long ago Primestar.

Tuconots
    If you don't like DTV's customer service you sure as hell wont like Dish's.

Tuconots
    It wasn't a CS issue, it was a we can get you locals and other stuff, then weeks later tell me they have to ask permission after it was installed which was denied 40 days later and some other issues like that. The dish wasn't installed right and in 60 days I had to have the tech come out 4 times before they actually planted the pole more than 8 inches deep in soft ground where water would stand if it rained. Then I said forget it I didn't get the service promised and install was botched and they wanted like $300 to cancel the service which wasn't as promised. I sent their shit back , told em to go to hell. They got about 5 different collectors still calling today over a year later to all of which I say take it to court, I'm ready and willing.

There was other issues even on top of those with it, but my service with Direct had little to do with quality and more to do with some shady ass souls.

Tuconots
    So you had issues with shitty contracted installers that are working your area, not actually Direct TV.

FYI, those same installers will do your Dish as well.

Also, taking a hit on your credit score out of principal? You really showed them.

Not trying to be a dick here but why would you ever do that?

Tuconots
    Dish will also lie to you about local channels. When they set it up in my Mom's house they told Dish that they didn't want to sign up unless they could get local channels out of Billings, MT. Dish assured them that they could, but then when they got there (I was at the house to meet the installer because my Mom was working) they said that she could only get channels out of Bismark, ND even though the next door neighbors had Billings channels from Dish. I threatened to make him pack up his shit and go home and pay to have the DirecTV hooked back up. Luckily the installer knew the tricks and we gave Dish a fake address to get them to let him activate the Billings channels but if not for him being willing to play games we would have gotten screwed.

Tuconots
    comcast keep jacking up my bundle prices, i looked around and there is literally 0 other alternatives in my area (not even FIOS)

I live between baltimore and maryland, pretty wealthy area

these dudes winning at monopoly like they owned park place and board walk

Tuconots
    As long as Dish and Direct TV exist there is no such thing as a monopoly as there are other options.

Registered Dragonlord Deathwing's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Notice he said bundle, so he's not talking just about TV.

Tuconots
    Ah you're right, I glossed over that.

In the majority of the US though there is some form of DSL available and then there is still satalite internet. Unfortunately as bad as either of those may suck at times...that means other options still exist and will never be considered a monopoly.

Tuconots
    IDK, can you? I'm sure someone with a business or economics degree can correct me, but that seems like a big enough difference to me. If there's only one supplier of diesel in your area, are you not going to call them a monopoly because you can go pick up some used fry oil from a restaurant?

Or do you mean "never considered a monopoly" by the government? I've given up hope long ago of the government breaking up/preventing monopolies.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathwing View Post
    IDK, can you? I'm sure someone with a business or economics degree can correct me, but that seems like a big enough difference to me. If there's only one supplier of diesel in your area, are you not going to call them a monopoly because you can go pick up some used fry oil from a restaurant?

Or do you mean "never considered a monopoly" by the government? I've given up hope long ago of the government breaking up/preventing monopolies.
    Well your analogy doesn't really work as nothing more special needs to be done to get cable internet as there does for satellite. You still need a device and wiring and what not. A better analogy would be how the fuel was delivered to you. The fuel itself is the same however.

But yes I was referring to the second part of your post. As long as the majority of the United states has other options there will never be a monopoly and satellite existing means there is always an option. (Note; I'm not saying satellite internet is good...because fuck that crap but it's still there none the less.)

Tuconots
    I was going more for scarcity of competition. Most people won't even touch satellite or DSL for internet service that they might as well not exist in the market. Same goes for restaurant fry oil. I guarantee you that Comcast isn't worrying about customer fleeing to satellite and DSL if they change their prices.

Tuconots
    I don't want to use cable for my tv, but even though I could get Dish or DirectTV, there really isn't any choice. In the summer time, it rains almost every day here in Florida, and when it rains, you lose your picture. After a few months of that, I wanted to nuke Dish out of existence.

Tuconots
    I'm in Florida, its really not that bad. You get showers around late afternoon and lose it for a few minutes as it passes but the number of times its actually impacted something I've recorded or wanted to watch the last 5 years is probably once or twice? Its really not that big a deal. Unless you watch a ton of TV during 3-5pm est which is when most of the heavy stuff usually comes. Even then its usually only for a few minutes. Most of the non heavy stuff doesn't really impact viewing at all.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedwyn View Post
    I'm in Florida, its really not that bad. You get showers around late afternoon and lose it for a few minutes as it passes but the number of times its actually impacted something I've recorded or wanted to watch the last 5 years is probably once or twice? Its really not that big a deal. Unless you watch a ton of TV during 3-5pm est which is when most of the heavy stuff usually comes. Even then its usually only for a few minutes. Most of the non heavy stuff doesn't really impact viewing at all.
    Then you live in a different area than I do. It rains heavy here all the time. I would lose service several times a week, and when it's during a show I like, it turns me into a giant green rage monster.

Tuconots
    Caught a TV add a few days ago that Cox is tripling their highest tier and doubling most of the other tiers of internet speeds throughout the country. That means their highest tier will be 150Mbps for $100/month and the tier below that (which I'm on) will go from 24Mbps to 50Mbps, their old highest speed, for $75/month. Very tempting to move up to the new high speed once my current deal ends.

I think this is a direct result of Google Fiber moving into both Kansas and Texas, both areas that Cox serves.

Tuconots
    Google Fiber headed to Provo, Utah now.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575...ilicon-slopes/

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfen View Post
    Then you live in a different area than I do. It rains heavy here all the time. I would lose service several times a week, and when it's during a show I like, it turns me into a giant green rage monster.
    West Palm.

Tuconots
    I'm pretty fucking sure the question was does anyone here have Dish and is it worth it, not explain and justify why I hated Direct TV to Tarrant thread.

In response to the local thing someone else posted, I couldn't even get distant networks. I literally had no ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC and short of going with a high powered antenna could not get them.
    They jacked my bill 30 days in with a overall price increase, lied about channel lineups, ended up having to come back and install new equipment that they tried to charge me for to get the things I was promised such as on demand even though it was on my initial order sheet included, then had the issues with the installer. Sure as fuck seems a lot more there than contractor installer issues.

Why would I take a credit hit and fight them? If it was that shitty the first month what would the other 23 be like?
    I'm the customer not the prisioner, I have enough shit on them and that whole process documented I would rape them in a court over those fees.

The whole issue at least with Direct TV is once they install they try to treat you like shit and will shit on you any chance they get.

Tuconots
    I had dish at the last house I owned and I had no problems with it. I even installed the fucker myself (what a pain in the ass to point the fucker) Yeah the occasional outage when it rained hard or when it snowed hard enough, but those were so rare and so short lived that it really did not piss me off at all. I also remember it being way cheaper than any cable service.

The local channel thing, well this was a while ago, like late 90's, but when I first got Dish I got no local shit, I got the networks from other towns, I think somewhere in Ohio. But the cool thing was that I got them from the west coast as well. Which ended up being nice because If I missed a show or whatever, I could watch it on the west coast channel 3 hours later. This was nice in the days of no DVR.

Then later they sent up another satellite, I remember it being a big deal at the time and I finally got my local channels. They even sent me a new dish to install with the dual receivers or whatever. But the sad part was that I lost the west coast deal I had going. Which really would of loved to get back. Fuck local networks, I dont need that shit and never really missed it.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by mkopec View Post
    I had dish at the last house I owned and I had no problems with it. I even installed the fucker myself (what a pain in the ass to point the fucker) Yeah the occasional outage when it rained hard or when it snowed hard enough, but those were so rare and so short lived that it really did not piss me off at all. I also remember it being way cheaper than any cable service.

The local channel thing, well this was a while ago, like late 90's, but when I first got Dish I got no local shit, I got the networks from other towns, I think somewhere in Ohio. But the cool thing was that I got them from the west coast as well. Which ended up being nice because If I missed a show or whatever, I could watch it on the west coast channel 3 hours later. This was nice in the days of no DVR.

Then later they sent up another satellite, I remember it being a big deal at the time and I finally got my local channels. They even sent me a new dish to install with the dual receivers or whatever. But the sad part was that I lost the west coast deal I had going. Which really would of loved to get back. Fuck local networks, I dont need that shit and never really missed it.
    Ya the only reason I was pissed about the locals was I had it installed in late December and ended up not able to watch new years shit except on news networks. Then missed the Daytona 500 for the same BS.

I may stick to cable though, I called my provider which is/was Insight who just got bought out by Time Warner and complained about internet speeds not being what they was supposed to and my sound/picture issues breaking up and they had someone out here at 8pm that night( last night ) to fix it, he didn't leave until well after 10pm. He was in a TW truck, insight never had that kind of support after 4pm it was see ya tomorrow.

Still though I miss direct tv/Dish picture quality. I get depressed every house I go into that has it compared to the compressed cable HD shit. Cable will never LOOK as good as anything satellite.

Tuconots
    Here is what you have to look forward to on Time Warner. Here is my 50mbps service that I pay $60 a month for

looks pretty damn nice.

Here is my average viewing experience on Youtube
    Untitled.jpg

I average about 1-2mbps just about any time of day viewing Youtube. Fucking Time Warner and their artificial Youtube throttling. Can't view anything over 420p(standard def) without extensive buffering. Even 420p is a problem during peak times and I often have to go down to 240p. I'd switch carriers, but my only other option is DSL, and well, that sucks just as bad. Come on Google Fiber, you're in KC, get that shit installed and expanded,

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranak View Post
    Google Fiber headed to Provo, Utah now.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575...ilicon-slopes/
    Pretty much gave me an instant orgasm when I heard this the other day. Whatever happened to Zeste btw? Only other forum goer that I knew lived in Provo.

Like a bull's walt... Nostrovia's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkle View Post
    Pretty much gave me an instant orgasm when I heard this the other day. Whatever happened to Zeste btw? Only other forum goer that I knew lived in Provo.
    I used to live in Provo, but I abhor that fucking city. I moved to Ogden, so now Google Fiber needs to get their asses up here. Though, the Ogden city council members are cunts, and tend to side with Comcast and ShittyLink. Utopia is up here which is also fiber (not 1gig though!!) but they're everywhere AROUND Ogden, but keep getting shafted at every council meeting.

Pisses me off. Jimmies thoroughly russled.
    "Sorry I tried to spit roast your mom."

Tuconots
    2669894286.png

I still hate Comcast.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Binkles View Post
    2669894286.png

I still hate Comcast.
    You think that's slow? I have Comcast and pay out the ass for 25 down/4 up.

Tuconots
    12/4 on Comcast is $65/month here. I'm in suburban Chicago, so it's not like I'm out in farm country and it'd cost a lot for them to improve service. AT&T might as well not exist since their service is so shitty, so Comcast has no reason to provide better services or prices. At one point a few towns near mine tried to start up their own all-fiber ISP and Comcast/AT&T managed to kill it before it could get off the ground.

I think everyone in the Chicago metro area would drop AT&T and Comcast in a heartbeat if Google showed up.

Tuconots
    edit: whoops, wrong thread.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagdaddy View Post
    comcast keep jacking up my bundle prices, i looked around and there is literally 0 other alternatives in my area (not even FIOS)

I live between baltimore and maryland, pretty wealthy area

these dudes winning at monopoly like they owned park place and board walk
    Soon FiOS should be there - and the wait will be worth it, outside Towson here and...

Is my speedtest from here to Frederick. The closer one to Baltimore is being wonky right now, but it's hosted by Comcast, so I chalk that up to Comcast screwing with it since it's from a FiOS IP. (Still decent, but like 15 down and 32 up with a 1ms ping - bizarre numbers that don't make any sense. Day 2 after I switched it was pretty much identical to Frederick - seems like they just doing it at random, maybe they're bogged down or something)

Tuconots
    Not a big McCain fan, but I think this is brilliant legislation.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/john-mccain...171331371.html

Tuconots
    They'll just jack up the base price of any subscription and make each channel a penny.

Tuconots
    Not sure why my upload rate is higher than my download rate. Normally it's 70/40.

Tuconots
    Holy upload speeds Batman.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    Holy upload speeds Batman.

Tuconots
    Google Fiber is finally picking up some momentum in Kansas City. From the time of it's initial announcement through the first year or so, no expansion plans were announced to spread out into the suburbs of KC. About 6 months ago the first suburb expansion was announced, and now all of a sudden in the past couple weeks about half a dozen more suburbs have been announced for expansion.

Not only good news for KC, but hopefully for the other announced cities, and other areas of the US. Google must have allocated more resources to this project recently or something, there's been more news in the past couple weeks coming from them than there had been in the last 6+ months.

Here is how much of KC is planned to be covered as of right now:
    http://googlefiberblog.blogspot.com/...gladstone.html

Probably roughly 1/3 to 1/2 or so, up from the initial announcement that only accounted for maybe 10-15% of KCs metro population.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboo View Post
    Google Fiber is finally picking up some momentum in Kansas City. From the time of it's initial announcement through the first year or so, no expansion plans were announced to spread out into the suburbs of KC. About 6 months ago the first suburb expansion was announced, and now all of a sudden in the past couple weeks about half a dozen more suburbs have been announced for expansion.

Not only good news for KC, but hopefully for the other announced cities, and other areas of the US. Google must have allocated more resources to this project recently or something, there's been more news in the past couple weeks coming from them than there had been in the last 6+ months.

Here is how much of KC is planned to be covered as of right now:
    http://googlefiberblog.blogspot.com/...gladstone.html

Probably roughly 1/3 to 1/2 or so, up from the initial announcement that only accounted for maybe 10-15% of KCs metro population.
    What pisses me off is that more than likely the reason most of those suburbs aren't planned for expansion is because they won't let google do it. I grew up in Lees Summit and I'm sure the city is getting too many kickbacks from TWC/AT&T to do something that might help the consumers

Tuconots
    Wouldn't doubt it, I live in Lees Summit now, and I somehow find out that the city keeps Google out because of Time Warner/AT&T, I'l going to drive up to city hall and punch someone in the mouth.

Worse yet is my friend that lives up in Pleasant Valley, the google fiber coverage map stops 1 block short of hitting his street, he's in Pleasant Valley, 1 street over is Kansas City. Told him to start making friends with the neighbors and go get a 100 foot ethernet cable, lol.

Tuconots
    Not that anyone here cares at all, but Google Fiber was announced for the area where I live today.

http://googlefiberblog.blogspot.com/...es-summit.html

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now to sit and wait...probably a couple years at the rate they are going :/

Tuconots
    Fuck you, joeboo! I'm very jelly.

Tuconots
    Did I mention I also got a free internet upgrade ?

Can go even higher in the middle of the night but I need a faster router. Also the direct download speed is still pitiful compared to p2p.

Tuconots
    300Mb! Are you from the future?!

Tuconots
    8-12 hours in your future, yes.

Tuconots
    Also the direct download speed is still pitiful compared to p2p.
    Do you have a newsgroup subscription? I pulled 200mbit through the university wifi the other day. And I'm pretty sure that's because I hit a cap on my Mac Air wifi. I should give the wired connection a shot some day.

Tuconots
    This is pretty disappointing...Google completely flip-flops on their net neutrality stance now that they are an ISP

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...gle-neutrality

Will ban you if you run a server off your Google Fiber connection(and it looks like torrents/peer-to-peer programs would be considered "servers" by their definition)
    Last edited by joeboo; 08-01-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Tuconots
    My Comcast bill nearly doubled after all the new signup stuff expired. I called them up and did the threaten to cancel thing and they put me back on the promotion. The guy even said I should call back 6 months from now so that I can be put back on it again.

Tuconots
    That's just something we tell you to make you easier to deal with and get off the phone faster.

Hullabaloo Caneck Caneck! taebin's Avatar
    Tuconots
    You work in a call center? Your depression is starting to make more sense

Tuconots
    No, I don't. But I work in telecommications and in sales and I both heard and used that line to calm down angry customers who were upset that their promotiosn had ended.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    No, I don't. But I work in telecommications and in sales and I both heard and used that line to calm down angry customers who were upset that their promotiosn had ended.
    I got put back on the promotion. I'm willing to bet they will do it again.

Thread Information