Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Tuconots

Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Always liked reading Arkk123's old thread about what everyone was doing while training.

I just got a power rack for the garage so I've been doing all my lifts from home. It's absolutely glorious to be able to wake up, shit, get some quick carbs in me and then rage lift.

Only thing I lack is a huge rack of dumbbells 40lb - 110lb... not sure how soon I'm going to make the investment.

How's everyone else doing on their lifts coming into the Holiday Season.

Iannis didn't do anything ZyyzYzzy's Avatar
    Tuconots
    I love the holiday season for the gym and my lifts. Barely anyone is at my gym when I go after work and all the excessive eating has done wonders for my lifts.

My flat bench and squats have been steadily increasing, but my deadlifts are at a standstill because I'm too lazy to get more chalk (my grip sucks).

I have been thinking if switching to a full body, something similar to starting strength while I ignore my normal eating habits for the next month or so. Any suggestions?

Tuconots
    Personally I am a Muscle Group/Day kind of lifter, but I have heard of people getting good results from doing Push/Pull days which would basically cover everything within 1-2 days.

I guess it looks something like Day 1: Squat / Bench / Military Press
    Day 2: Deads / Rows / Any type of curls/pulldowns etc that you want to do.

Tuconots
    I've been on a mass building program for a while. Using a push/pull set-up each day pyramidding.

Day 1: Shoulder press/Lat pull-down
    Day 2: Leg extension/Leg curl
    Day 3: Bicep curl/Tricep press
    Day 4: Squats/Deadlifts
    Day 5: Bench press/Bent-over rows

Been great for putting on the pounds.

Tuconots
    First soda drank in over a week.

Feel like a piece of shit. I'm fucking done with soda.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
    First soda drank in over a week.

Feel like a piece of shit. I'm fucking done with soda.
    Oh god tell me about it. Last Sunday I ate Doritos and Pizza Rolls for the first time in about 7 months. When I woke up the next morning I felt hungover. Headache, exhausted, bloated, sluggish. I used to down Doritos and Pizza Rolls on a routine basis. It's amazing how your body can tell you that you're putting shit into it when it's used to good, wholesome, natural food.

Tuconots
    Don't be so hard on yourself - its only sugar, corn syrup, and cum. I have a coke a week or so - its fucking delicious!

As to working out - going to try not to do any cardio for a month and see how i feel. I'm sure it will be hard not to get on the bike this weekend as its supposed to be beautiful, but I want to try and put on the mass while I'm surrounded by food this month.

Registered User Lvl_32_Bard_LFG's Avatar
    Tuconots
    For about 6 years I've been doing Mon: chest Tues: bis Wed: tris/shoulders Thurs: back Fri: legs. Every day I do light abs and 3x I will throw in intermittent calf 'donkey' raises on a smith machine. I run 5mi a day 2x a week I would say and swim around 1000m freestyle once MAYBE 2x a week. For some reason, regarding weights, I've always enjoyed a real targeted, isolated pump and burn.

I've weened off the caffeinated prework out shakes because I've noticed they make me crazed these days.

Anyway, look forward to the upcoming discussions in this thread!

Tuconots
    Recently purchased a pull up bar and have been focused on improving my maximum reps on it. I started around eight and have gotten up to fourteen as of a few days ago.

Aside from that I try to do everything I can with dumbbells, I spent the last 2 months or so running/swimming pretty much every day but it's begun to get a bit too cold for that so I've taken up boxing and hitting the treadmill in the meantime.

I started getting on a much more strict diet about a month and a half ago, I went from 196lbs to 180lbs in this time frame and I'm about as light as I'd really like to be so for now I'm just focused on improving my performance on running, push ups and pull ups.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Springbok View Post

As to working out - going to try not to do any cardio for a month and see how i feel. I'm sure it will be hard not to get on the bike this weekend as its supposed to be beautiful, but I want to try and put on the mass while I'm surrounded by food this month.
    If you do cardio on concrete or hard surfaces, that 4 week break will be felt in your joints etc. it will hurt! I've noticed when I quit running or swimming for over 2 weeks I generally feel like shit. Lifting is one thing, but the sheer ability for intense cardio to alleviate stress (atleast for me) is bar-none.

Tuconots
    I had recently come back from about 6 months off... What surprised me the most when I hit the weights again right away was the lifting high that happens.

Tuconots
    Is this where I get my swell on?

Tuconots
    Man, I used to be a monster in the gym in college when I could go for 3 hours a day 7 days a week. Now, with 2 kids and a wife I don't make the time to go. I KNOW I need to go, I seriously need to lose weight and I would love to get back to a shadow of where I was. I certainly have the time to go too, I work from home. By the time work is over I'm dead though and it's hard to find time during the actual day.

Honestly, I think my biggest problem is diet. I eat crap and drink crap so I feel like crap, for the life of me I just cannot break the cycle. You'd think my kids would be motivation enough to not kill myself with bad diet and lack of exercise, but it's not working.

If anyone was in a similar position, what is your motivation? I'm going to try to go tonight after the oldest is down and get some momentum going before the holidays start. There's a big conference I have in about a month and I'd like to drop 10-20 before it. The other problem I have is that when I lift weights my genetics puts on muscle super fast so I don't actually lose weight, just body fat % (which is good). However, when you're not seeing a metic tic down it can hurt the momentum. Does anyone have any of those body fat % scales that are actually accurate?

Tuconots
    I try to bang out an hour on the Lifecycle and an hour of sit-ups and low weights. At my age, controlling my weight is imperative.

I'll rest when I'm dead.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilforgod View Post
    If anyone was in a similar position, what is your motivation?
    The mirror and the Grim Reaper.

Tuconots
    Pil, if you get in there and get beyond that initial soreness and stiffness you'll curse yourself for quitting. Like Szeth said, there are endorphins from it. Get back into it slowly, just go, the hardest part is going at 6:45pm after work, after picking up your kids, dealing with your wife etc. "Just do it." After awhile, you'll be hooked again. If time constraints are a problem, find one of those 24/7 places and wake up an hour or two early. (Sucks, but better than being fat and feeling slop-assed)

Tuconots
    I started doing Paleo and crossfit 6 months now. The change has been very nice. I lost fat and gain nice muscle mass. I would recommend it to anyone.

Tuconots
    I've heard lots of good things about Paleo, it's just not something I can do personally. My diet is controlled as long as I'm in the gym, that is the key for me. We'll see how tonight goes. The Soreness I don't mind, I like that part of it. Getting in day #1 is key and then the first two weeks. I'd also like to do that 100 pushup site/technique thing to play with it a bit.

Tuconots
    Alright so on something like varlox posted

Day 1: Shoulder press/Lat pull-down
    Day 2: Leg extension/Leg curl
    Day 3: Bicep curl/Tricep press
    Day 4: Squats/Deadlifts
    Day 5: Bench press/Bent-over rows

What lifts are you doing? My biggest problem is I dont know what to do for what muscle group. Im certain your not doing 1 set of two lifts and then leaving, so any help on what i can do to get a damn routine would be great. I work out frequently but its so random everytime I feel as if im not getting anywhere near the results i should be getting. I walk in the gym and basically throw darts at the board to decide what i do that day.

Tuconots
    Day 2 doesn't make any sense to me. I would move day 3 to day 2 and make day 3 either cardio or off day. Your legs are covered almost 100% by squats. You could do some calf raises if you're vain I suppose.

Edit:

I do 4 days a week, Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri so I may be biased.

Squats Monday (abs if I'm feeling rowdy at 5:30am)
    Bench Tuesday (and extracurricular stuff)
    Wednesday Off
    Thursday Deadlifts/Biceps/Pullups etc
    Friday Shoulders

Tuconots
    Been doing my own tweaked version of that ooooold "Body for life" program more or less.
    Mon: Upper, Tue: Cardio, Wed: Lower, Thu: Cardio, Fri: Upper, Sat: Cardio, Sun: Off
    Mon: Repeat, starting with Lower
    Six meals a day.

No supps, just 100% pure, unflavored Whey

Has worked the best of any program I've tried; some were too hardcore and not enough rest; some were too lax.

My goal and motivation? When I was in shape I did shit like ski, bike, and fuck ballerinas. Being out of shape has resulted in exactly no skiing, biking or fucking ballerinas.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Szeth View Post
    Always liked reading Arkk123's old thread about what everyone was doing while training.

I just got a power rack for the garage so I've been doing all my lifts from home. It's absolutely glorious to be able to wake up, shit, get some quick carbs in me and then rage lift.

Only thing I lack is a huge rack of dumbbells 40lb - 110lb... not sure how soon I'm going to make the investment.

How's everyone else doing on their lifts coming into the Holiday Season.
    I bought a PowerBlocks dumbbell set about two years ago and it's really impressed me. They are very sturdy and the grip feels great in your hand. Between that and a free weight bench, I've been able to migrate most of my workouts to the house.

Tuconots
    It'll be pretty awesome whenever the wife and I decide to buy a house and we get a home gym. That's the biggest problem I have in motivating myself to go to the gym; leaving the house and driving there. If I could just jump down to the basement or something and have the squat rack to myself, it'd be amazing.

As it is right now, I'm in San Diego for a month and eating out 1-2 meals a day (food is fucking amazing here). I had intended to go to Gold's Gym since they do month to month, but I'm 2 weeks into this trip and haven't been once.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Elurin View Post
    It'll be pretty awesome whenever the wife and I decide to buy a house and we get a home gym. That's the biggest problem I have in motivating myself to go to the gym; leaving the house and driving there. If I could just jump down to the basement or something and have the squat rack to myself, it'd be amazing.

As it is right now, I'm in San Diego for a month and eating out 1-2 meals a day (food is fucking amazing here). I had intended to go to Gold's Gym since they do month to month, but I'm 2 weeks into this trip and haven't been once.
    I have always found it easier to get a full workout when at the local gym, always worried someone would notice the old man quitting early (yeah right). That said I grew tired of the looks of disgust at my pools of sweat and let my membership lapse.

Tuconots
    Move -> Sports

Also, Deadlifts and Squats on the same day sounds terrible, especially on a 5 day split.

Tuconots
    I used to do the entire 1-5 targeted muscle workout, however nowadays I'm too far out to make the trip to the gym everyday.

So Now this is pretty much how it goes:

Mondays: Chest/biceps
    Wednesday: Shoulders/Back
    Friday: Legs/triceps

And because I'm strapped for time during the times I can go, I've begun a 15 minute timed run which I force myself to run at a certain pace on the treadmill. I also up the speed by a bit once or twice throughout the week. I learned pretty quickly that if I did a forced, controlled breathing throughout the run the experience sucks that much less.

Now, about five months ago I was going five times a week however I've moved to a different location since then so I haven't had relative easy access to gym equipment. Before I took my break and became lazy, I started doing a lot of core exercises with a pullup bar. So now, in a few weeks after I've figured out my routine (different equipment) and get comfortable, I'll start throwing in those core exercises.
    Last edited by kaosu; 12-08-2012 at 07:15 AM.

Tuconots
    I do crossfit workouts occassionally but sometimes the workouts are so damn embarrassing, I can't seem to do them while people are watching.

Edit: I eat relatively healthy, and it seems like I get enough sleep, but I just don't seem to have the energy levels that I should. Any recommendations?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourofSpace View Post

Edit: I eat relatively healthy, and it seems like I get enough sleep, but I just don't seem to have the energy levels that I should. Any recommendations?
    Try some coconut oil. Shits pretty amazing. Might not work for you, and its not a cure-all, but adding some to your diet has been shown to increase energy levels (the MCT's in it are a great energy source and it also helps stimulate the thyroid somehow).

Tuconots
    Fuck, my post about diet was deleted with morenetz. Im not typing that shit up again.

Thread should have broscience in the title somewhere

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinsic View Post
    Move -> Sports

Also, Deadlifts and Squats on the same day sounds terrible, especially on a 5 day split.
    On wednesday I did this. Heavy sets of deadlifts of 4-8 reps, supersetted with high rep squats, 10-15 reps. Killed me. Loved it. Have to plan a few days ahead and work your schedule around it as its so taxing on the body, but man, I felt it.

Dabamf

Arkk's Weight Lifting Thread

I posted 2 month goals on old foh, so thought I'd copy here:
    New highs:

Bench: 175x5 (up 15)
    Bent over row: 165x3 (up 25)
    Clean & shoulder press: 125x3 (up 10)
    Deadlift: 245x3 (up 20)

For motivation's sake I'll post goals for 2 months from now. Will post follow up.
    Jan 24:
    Squat: 155
    Clean&press: 135
    Bench: 195
    Bent over row: 185
    Deadlift: 265
    Currently at:
    Squat: 135 - knees be hurtin again. Mother fuckers won't let me go past 135. This time I'm gonna be super cautious. I've had success, when knees are really tight at the beginning of the workout, of just doing warmups up to 95 or 115, then doing my other routine, then coming back to squats at the end for the real lift.
    Clean & Press: 125
    Bench: 185 - skyrocketing lately. I don't know where the hell this is coming from. I've plateaued around 160 my entire life. Moving up to 4x8 for 2 months, then back to 5 reps a set really made a difference. Gonna hit this goal a month early probably. Having shoulder pain though on the right side, and in my neck on the right side just above the collar bone. Should I be worried about this?
    Bent over row: 165(x5)
    Deadlift: 245(x5) - goin to 255 next session - I should hit this goal 2nd, just behind bench

I'm up to 170lbs. 6'0" and that's the heaviest I've ever been. I'm trying to stuff my face whenever I'm at home. I know my diet is 90% of what's holding me back from making big gains. Problem is I don't like cooking and I'm broke as fuck.

Dabamf
    why the hell is this in grown up stuff? I made a post in Sports not knowing where it is. Anyway:

I posted 2 month goals on old foh on Nov 24, so thought I'd copy here:
    New highs:

Bench: 175x5 (up 15)
    Bent over row: 165x3 (up 25)
    Clean & shoulder press: 125x3 (up 10)
    Deadlift: 245x3 (up 20)

For motivation's sake I'll post goals for 2 months from now. Will post follow up.
    Jan 24:
    Squat: 155
    Clean&press: 135
    Bench: 195
    Bent over row: 185
    Deadlift: 265
    Currently at:
    Squat: 135(x5) - knees be hurtin again. Mother fuckers won't let me go past 135. This time I'm gonna be super cautious. I've had success, when knees are really tight at the beginning of the workout, of just doing warmups up to 95 or 115, then doing my other routine, then coming back to squats at the end for the real lift.
    Clean & Press: 125(x4)
    Bench: 185(x4) - skyrocketing lately. I don't know where the hell this is coming from. I've plateaued around 160 my entire life. Moving up to 4x8 for 2 months, then back to 5 reps a set really made a difference. Gonna hit this goal a month early probably. Having shoulder pain though on the right side, and in my neck on the right side just above the collar bone. Should I be worried about this?
    Bent over row: 165(x5)
    Deadlift: 245(x5) - goin to 255 next session - I should hit this goal 2nd, just behind bench

I'm up to 170lbs. 6'0" and that's the heaviest I've ever been. I'm trying to stuff my face whenever I'm at home. I know my diet is 90% of what's holding me back from making big gains. Problem is I don't like cooking and I'm broke as fuck.

Tuconots
    I'm enjoying my workouts, but my diet has turned to shit lately. Looking to add vitamins and whey protein to my diet as well as shakes, what recipes/vitamins do you guys recommend?

Tuconots
    Cheap healthy meal staple of mine. Its plain, beware.

1/3 can of black/kidney beans. (A can is a dollar, 33cents/serving) Heat in microwave for 1 min
    1/2-1cup of brown rice (I buy the precooked stuff, rice is cheap as hell) Microwave for 5 mins. Mix with beans
    Chicken Breast- Buy some Pace salsa and put 3 tablespoons over it, more if you want. Bake at 350.
    Can of veggies (<$1) or Frozen Veggies ($3 at most, this will get you 2-4 servings depending on your choice)

Tuconots
    Protein powder. This stuff is bar none, literally the best protein powder/drink money can buy. Its pricey.

This is the drink hospitals give chemo/cancer patients to put on weight. Packed with all sorts of nutrients and protein. Drink as a postworkout/mass building shake.

http://www.amazon.com/Ensure-Clinica...f=pd_sim_hpc_6

This is really the one you want, but its hard to find in powder form:

http://ensure.com/products/ensure-high-protein

I would recommend buying it at a Sams club or something, and getting the powder mix, not the premade ones as theyre much more expensive. Beware of a lot of mainstream whey proteins as they can have nasty additives in them. Like seriously, heavy metals and sawdust.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...rink/index.htm
    Last edited by Lemmiwinks; 12-09-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Dabamf
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwinks View Post
    Protein powder. This stuff is bar none, literally the best protein powder/drink money can buy. Its pricey.

This is the drink hospitals give chemo/cancer patients to put on weight. Packed with all sorts of nutrients and protein. Drink as a postworkout/mass building shake.
    Might be ok for rich people. There's no way it's worth the $ for anyone else over standard ON whey protein. As a hangover drink however...?

Today deadlift 265(x5) niggas. Hell yes. Going switch grip made the lift a ton easier. Not using as much energy on grip now. Will do a couple more days of 100% switch grip just to get body used to it, then back to normal grip until it fails just to make sure my grip is staying up to stuff.

Changing Jan 24 goal to 315 deadlift. A little ambitious for my puny ass, but why not.

Tuconots
    Yeah, I'll stick with ON Whey as well.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinsic View Post
    Move -> Sports

Yea, can't be good for your lower lumbar. Maybe if you're doing reps or something, but high weight squats / DLs on the same day is a recipe for trouble.

Tuconots
    Day 1: Squatz and Oatz
    Day 2: Squatz and Oatz
    Day 3: Squatz and Oatz
    Day 4: Squatz and Oatz
    Day 5: Squatz and Oatz
    Day 6: Squatz and Oatz
    Day 7: Rest...Nah fuck that shit nigger, Squatz and Oatz

Tuconots
    Dab, do you do any stretching before squats? I've always found mixed advice on stretching before and not.

Like you, I had knee pain while squatting for the longest time. Do you keep a narrow stance or wide? I tended to use a wide stance, but changed it up about 3 months ago and the pain seemed to go away and I've finally broken through my plateau. I believe you said you had hurt your knee a while back though so we may not be in the same boat. and none of this has any medical backing at all just throwing it out there.

Tuconots
    I'm sure there is conflicting advice when it comes to stretching pre workout, but unless Mark Rippetoe changed his opinion, just do warm up sets before your working sets for your squat.

Edit: As far as my progress, I have slacked a little since my birthday in October. Christmas is going to do me no good either =(. I currently hover between 185-195. Had a bad cheat meal last night and I feel like I just lost 3 days of training. Fucking stupid me, but the sandwiches this deli by me makes are so good. I need to go back to jump roping on my off days, but it's so cold outside.
    Last edited by Celebrindal; 12-10-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Tuconots
    I usually hit the bike for about 20 minutes, few minutes of bending over and touching my toes into a deep squat while pushing my knees out with my elbows, and then 1 or 2 sets of just the bar.

Tuconots
    Static stretching before anything has basically been panned by most people in the past few years. If you're wanting to do something, do a dynamic warmup. Something similar to what you'll be doing but with light to no resistance.

The rubber band analogy was most clear to me. Think of stretching before working out like stretching a rubber band. Now your muscle is all loose prior to your workout. What you're wanting is springy muscles, however. That's the whole point of them. By loosening them up like that, you're increasing the likelihood of injury.

Save the stretching for afterwards when your muscles are engorged with blood and have constricted. The stretching will help move things around.

Broscience.

Tuconots
    Should get this stickied.

Didn't do any cardio this weekend - was difficult, but a sudden cold front really made it easier. I've been eating a ton, but find I don't enjoy it very much. Going to the gym at lunch today to do my first deadlifts ever. Should be interesting.

Tuconots
    Just remember form is the most important thing on dead lifts. They're awesome, but with poor form you're going to hurt yourself in a terrible way.

Tuconots
    Major broscience incoming:

What I've always done is work up to my lifting weight. If its squat day, Ill do my first set as 145lbs, for 10 reps or so. Then bump up the weight in suitable increments until I reach my first "working" set of squats, in which is a srs buisness 10 reps. Itll look something like

145x10
    195x10
    225x10
    275x10 (1st working set)
    315x8
    365x6
    405x3-4

Ideally you want to prepare you central nervous system for the heavy lifts, releasing neurotransmitters and endorphins/hormones into the body. Pretty much you want to get "The Pump" before you do the serious lifts, your muscles should be engorged with blood before you do heavy stuff, especially compound lifts like DLs/squats.

/broscience off

Tuconots
    Broscience is the only science. Also agree with Elurin above, if you're going to do any form of "stretching" (you shouldn't) I would just use a bar without plates on it for bench, DL, etc just to get the blood into those portions of your body.

Dabamf
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Dab, do you do any stretching before squats? I've always found mixed advice on stretching before and not.

Like you, I had knee pain while squatting for the longest time. Do you keep a narrow stance or wide? I tended to use a wide stance, but changed it up about 3 months ago and the pain seemed to go away and I've finally broken through my plateau. I believe you said you had hurt your knee a while back though so we may not be in the same boat. and none of this has any medical backing at all just throwing it out there.
    I jog 5-6 minutes on the treadmill which loosens up my joints. Vibrams are the only reason I can even jog. Makes the impact on the knee much, much less. I also bike to the gym, but now only about 1/2 the time because it's chilly out (3 miles). The running is mostly to get my knees ready to be a runner again. I used to love running. I haven't been able to run significantly for 3 years. I realize I'm kind of stressing them with warmup runs every day, 2 squat days out of 5 (1 of which is heavy deadlift day also), but I'm going super cautious on running now. After jogging I sit in an Asian squat for a bit while stretching ankles.

Then I do a few weightless squats to test my knee joints. Sometimes they just feel like they're going to collapse, like I don't have even a single muscle fiber holding em together. Sometimes it is really stiff inside, like it is inflamed and there's not enough room for the pieces to be moving around. From that I do 5 reps with the bar, 5 reps of 65, Asian squat stretches in-between. If I'm doing ok then, I'll either do another 65 or start the lift at 95. No more stretches from that point.

The heavier the weight, the more it helps my knees. But I can't go right into heavy weight. So if they're feeling alright, even with a little pain, I'm perfect because it improves with each set of more weight. If I can't get to that first 95lb set, I'm stuck. I used to stretch between every set, but it's been better after I stopped that.

The most obnoxious thing is if I don't do anything one day, like sitting at home watching movies and playing video games all Saturday or something, my knees are fucking RUINED for like 4 days. They just seize up like "oh he's not using us today? I guess we don't have to work ever again."

I swear to god this must be what it's like to have a really shitty girlfriend who is always demanding shit of you and then gets annoyed when you finally give in.

And I find no one can relate. Ligament injuries and meniscus tears have a much different recovery track. I'd fucking pay 10g to trade this for a ligament tear. I'd be better by now after all the work I put in. But I had a plica excision, which has happened like 10 times in the history of the world.
    Last edited by Dabamf; 12-11-2012 at 02:37 AM.

Dabamf
    Oh forgot to answer question. Stance is in the middle. A tad less than shoulder width. A closer stance causes pain. But Ima get those fuckers to do heavier squats. Knees are feeling great lately (about 10th time, only this time I'm not gonna push too far and hurt them again). I gotta be super careful not to allow any bounce at the bottom of the squat. That's what fucked me up last time.

/diary

Tuconots
    Let me ask you guys something. I started jogging diligently six or seven months ago. I've worked my way up to 3-5km (1.7-3 mi) a day, five days a week. I stretch for about five min before going. My path is a circuit around my house on the concrete street.

I feel good, and have improved quite a bit, but my calves remain sore longer than the rest of me. Genetically, bad knees run in my family, and it's starting to affect me as I get older and so my stride has as little knee raising as possible.

Any suggestions what I can do about my calves? I sit much of the day. Perhaps more frequent, light stretching is necessary?

Tuconots
    If you're sitting for work, just push your legs up so you're on your toes. That should stretch them pretty good, hold it for 5-10 seconds and repeat it a few times every couple hours.

Tuconots
    I'm about 1 month in to Wendlers 5/3/1. So far so good. I definitely recommend Starting Strength before anything if you've never done it, but after a certain amount of time you just cant keep it up, and you arent meant to.

Monday: Press, Close grip press, weighted chins, BB curls, abs circuit then push a prowler 10x 50 yards with 90 lbs on it.
    Tuesday: Power clean, deadlift, high bar squat, ab circuit
    Thursday: Bench, Press, Dumbbell row, BB curl, ab circuit
    Friday: Snatch, low bar squat, rack pull, ab circuit then prowler push

Goals: 405x3 for squat, 300+ for bench, 450 for DL, 225 for power clean, 185 press. I also need to lean out a bit so I can do more chins and pull ups. I suck at those and press right now.

Iannis didn't do anything ZyyzYzzy's Avatar
    Tuconots
    I would recommend always stretching before squats, especially if you are going heavy. I also found doing proper warm up sets helped the most with my knee pain in the past.

Yesterday I finally got past 315 for squats (320 lolz), but I did just as many warm up sets as working ones.

Tuconots
    I'm 5'11 and just under 200lbs right now, 196 or something. Lean for me will be around 185 I think this time.

I'm definitely lower body dominant. My upper body strength numbers arent in line with lower. I'm much better at any kind of squat or clean than I am at a press or curl or pull up mostly because I never did bench press or overhead press much. Squat I can do 320 for 10, max at 405 but bench I've yet to get 300 for even 1.

Tuconots
    I wish I had your problem Dash. I have the biggest chicken legs it's retarded. I've literally got horse legs, big up top, tooth picks at the bottom. My calves don't grow for shit, but my traps... are monumentous as is my chest and back. I wish I was evened out a bit haha.

Tuconots
    That sucks. I think calves are mostly genetic. I happen to have big calves but I never did anything for them specifically. Unless it was playing pick up basketball after school that did it. I finally got a broad back and solid shoulders, but my arms need a lot of work. Sad.

Not sure about Mr. Chaos vGrade's Avatar
    Tuconots
    P90X. Even if you had a normal workout routine before you wont be able to sit on the toilet or reach your arms above your head to wash your hair for the first two weeks sticking to this program. The only downside is Tony Horton is annoying so after you have gone through all the routines mute that shit and turn the Pandora on.

It gets fun when you start to finish the workouts for the day you were unable to finish weeks before. You can see the results and tell that it's working very quickly.

I have never used Insanity but I hear great things about this program as well. The instructor is less annoying from what I hear but it is supposedly harder.

I use to work at a Lifetime fitness in Atlanta. Personal trainers were losing a lot of money due to these programs.

Dabamf
    If you have thin calves, when wearing shorts, wear them slightly above the knee and make sure your socks are no-show ankle socks. Makes the calves look a lot less chicken-like. The worst thing is wearing shorts that hang over the knee. From a guy with the chickeniest chicken legs ever. /omgfashion

Tuconots
    I've noticed I use more leg than most people when doing deadlifts. Don't get me wrong, my lower back definitely gets a workout and I push myself to my limits, but I definitely use my legs a lot more during the lift.

I think I did it subconciously when I first started, mainly because I was scared of lower back injury.

Anything wrong with using a bit more legs?

Tuconots
    I'd imagine that's a good thing as opposed to using too much back. That being said, you don't want it to be too much of a squat motion.

Tuconots
    So what does everyone take pre/post workout?

Right now I am not taking a pre workout stim (may change in the future). During my workout I drink BCAAs (Extend) and afterwards I always do a protein shake with organic 1% milk.

Previously, when I was at my biggest I took RPM pre workout... and I'm not sure I can deal with the raging boners or jitters again.

Tuconots
    I used superpump and NO Explode for the longest time, because those were the 2 the snackbar at my gym offered. They worked good for awhile as I'd swap back and forth, but after about 2 years I had to get something else. Not to sure of the name off the top of my head, but will look when I go tonight.

Tuconots
    I don't take any pre-wo. Post I just take a whey with whole milk and BCAAs/Glutamine. I'm pretty simple lol.

Dabamf
    Quote Originally Posted by Itlan View Post
    I've noticed I use more leg than most people when doing deadlifts. Don't get me wrong, my lower back definitely gets a workout and I push myself to my limits, but I definitely use my legs a lot more during the lift.

I think I did it subconciously when I first started, mainly because I was scared of lower back injury.

Anything wrong with using a bit more legs?
    Most people use too much back, so you may be actually doing it perfect. If you're using too much leg, you will have to push the bar out as it goes over your knee. The bar takes a kind of curved path up. If you're not getting that problem, if the bar is going in a straight line up and down, you're probably doing it just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Szeth View Post
    So what does everyone take pre/post workout?

Right now I am not taking a pre workout stim (may change in the future). During my workout I drink BCAAs (Extend) and afterwards I always do a protein shake with organic 1% milk.

Previously, when I was at my biggest I took RPM pre workout... and I'm not sure I can deal with the raging boners or jitters again.
    Jack3D is the godliest thing ever. I credit at least 50% of my progress to that alone. The old formula, that is. The new version gets rid of the DMAA which seems to make it useless.

I used to use NO xplode. There is no contest. Jack3D rapes it. allstarhealth still has the old formula, and it's only like $24 a can.

Tuconots
    I've been using Craze lately as a pre-workout stim. It's gives me great focus and energy whilst working out but a mad headache afterwards. Might stop using it soon but maybe it's just me

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabamf View Post
    Jack3D is the godliest thing ever. I credit at least 50% of my progress to that alone. The old formula, that is. The new version gets rid of the DMAA which seems to make it useless.

I used to use NO xplode. There is no contest. Jack3D rapes it. allstarhealth still has the old formula, and it's only like $24 a can.
    http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/usp_labs-jack3d.htm

This the old formula? I teach athletic PE for 3 hours daily, but with all of the responsibilities I have taken on at the school (head football coach, head wrestling coach, assistant track coach), I find it hard to find the energy to lift as well as keep the kids focused on the task at hand. This would be amazing for me.

Dabamf
    Yep that's it.

There are no "I don't feel like going to the gym" days when you have that stuff. You are tired and unmotivated, just take a scoop and stay off your couch for 10 minutes and you'll be bouncing up and down ready to go.

Tuconots
    Fuckin' Geraniums!

Tuconots
    Time to order myself a couple tubs!

And Lemon Lime + Orange Ice are mine!
    Last edited by Rush; 12-14-2012 at 03:22 AM.

Tuconots
    I remember meatheads in college always talking about "SuperDump." I always wondered if it was true, but I've never tried it.

My friend wanted me to stack SizeOn and SuperPump but I never did.

Dabamf
    My philosophy is if the FDA isn't sending out warnings to manufacturers and linking the product to two dead people, the supplement is for pussies.

Tuconots
    Clear shot as my preworkout. PA always offer quality products not to mention always ahead of the supplement game a long before anyone 'discovers' them.

Tuconots
    I remember meatheads in college always talking about "SuperDump." I always wondered if it was true, but I've never tried it.

My friend wanted me to stack SizeOn and SuperPump but I never did.
    It will definitely provide a super dump the first couple of times you take it. You basically piss out of your ass violently.

For hard gainers: I just took a bottle of Chaotic Labz Mayhem. It basically makes you hungry 24/7 and help you put on weight; afaik it's not a pro-hormone.
    I went from 165-181 with all lifts going up substantially in about a month and a half.

Tuconots
    Lots of text about recent experiences and habits:

Started seeing a trainer at our local gym about 10 weeks ago. Going three days a week at 6am, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. On Mondays and Thursday I do Yoga in the afternoons. Think I'm the worlds worst morning person and hate to admit that I'm loving the morning workouts. Gym is empty, roads are empty, and get a boost of energy to start the work day. Thursday is a long day with 6am weights, work all day, then 6pm Yoga. Main goal was to gain weight. I'm 5' 8.5" and started off about 139 - 142 lbs. Now I'm a pretty steady 150 lbs. So about 10 lbs in 10 weeks. Would probably like another 5 - 10 lbs and settle in to a comfortable, maintainable weight.

Basically let the trainer take care of the 'program' or what our morning routine will be. Some weeks it is pull day and push day, some it is front and back day. We also do circuits or tabata, and he's started to incorporate a little more cardio, but really only once a week. We also do not do much isolated bicep or tricep, which is fine with me. I'm seeing gains in strength and size regardless. Stabilizing the higher weights (dumb bell) on squats, flat bench, fly, etc... tends to work my arms at this point anyways. Oh he also sprinkles in abs / obliques at the end of the workout. We'll do hanging leg raise, planche stuff, and other fun things. He is extremely focused on correct form in every exercise. Always provides an example before the movement and helps me focus on where the effort should be coming from. Really makes a difference and is appreciated.

Been wearing a heart rate monitor during workouts to track calories burned. He's been on my case about eating enough, which has honestly been the hardest part of the last two months. I've started tracking everything with the MyFitnessPal app on my phone and website. If I had to guess, prior to tracking and working out, I was probably averaging about 1600 - 1800 calories a day, and was doing Yoga twice a week and some light running other days. Now I have been trying to net about 2300 a day. Typical morning workouts are probably a little over 600 calories burned in 50 - 60 minutes. Thursdays with Yoga it is a little over 300 in 60 minutes. It took me about a month to learn how, but now it isn't too bad to hit 2800 - 3200 calories a day depending on what was burned. Wake up at 4:45 and eat a decent sized breakfast at 5:00 - 5:15, so about an hour before working out. Protein shake after workout. Small snack at about 10:30 and then lunch is a PITA because there's nothing but trash around the office. Really considering bringing my own in. Probably have another small snack around 3:30 - 4:00. For dinner my fiancÚ and I have been using eMeals for the last year+. We switched the the Paleo diet for two about 4 months ago. We do home cooked meals each night, with lots of variety, for about $70 a week in groceries. Usually we veto two meals and only end up cooking 5, it's hard to cook when we get home from yoga at 7:30pm.

tl;dr: Loving the last two months, gained about 10 lbs and have noticed gains in body. Eating habit was probably the hardest part. Would like to gain a little more and then maintain.

Tuconots
    Days like today I am thankful I have a place to blow off steam. Nothing like weights to take the edge off...

Tuconots
    Dabamf, you sure it's a good idea to do squats? If your knees are fucked up, squats have a much greater likelihood to re injure them than to actually strengthen them. There are safer ways to strengthen the muscles around than knees. Squats fuck people up, and aren't necessary. At least from all I've experienced and gathered from others. Seems a bunch of top dudes are saying the same thing nowadays. Or maybe I'm just stupid (HIGH PROBABILITY).

Come join the pussy brigade on leg machines. We may look like pansies using them, but we get results.
    Last edited by Whatwhat; 12-14-2012 at 09:50 PM.

Tuconots
    Squat till you drop!

I do deadlifts and squats same day, then another day of legs and MORE SQUATS.

Tuconots
    OATZ AND SQUATS ALL DAY BITCHESSS

braaaaaaaap

Tuconots
    Any of you guys ever do the Stillman diet? I was thinking about trying it for a few weeks. I've been eating like shit and want to drop a few fast..

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Intrinsic View Post
    Think I'm the worlds worst morning person and hate to admit that I'm loving the morning workouts. Gym is empty, roads are empty, and get a boost of energy to start the work day.
    Enjoy it while you can. January is going to be a motherfucker. I always hated going to the gym for the first 4-6 weeks of the new year. Everyone and their god damn resolutions. Don't worry though, by mid-February they'll all be gone. Guaranteed.

Dabamf
    Quote Originally Posted by Whatwhat View Post
    Dabamf, you sure it's a good idea to do squats? If your knees are fucked up, squats have a much greater likelihood to re injure them than to actually strengthen them. There are safer ways to strengthen the muscles around than knees. Squats fuck people up, and aren't necessary. At least from all I've experienced and gathered from others. Seems a bunch of top dudes are saying the same thing nowadays. Or maybe I'm just stupid (HIGH PROBABILITY).

Come join the pussy brigade on leg machines. We may look like pansies using them, but we get results.
    I've tried every idea possible. Squats are by far the best rehab for my knee. They didn't start really improving until I started doing squats with just the bar and worked my way up. Up to 145 now niggas (155 is Jan 14 goal). Leg extensions feel like the inside of my knee is being compressed and results in unbearable pain. There was 1 machine ever that didn't do that. It was in Korea. I have started doing negatives, however. Lunges are similarly painful. I already bike occasionally.

In the past 2 weeks my knees have been the best they've ever been. I think finally after 2 years I know them well enough to push them without risk of injury. They still do spazy weird shit, but I know when I can push through and when it means I need to stop. I'm also on 4-5 ibuprofen a day and ice it at least twice a day. That helps a lot.

Also, are hamstring strength exercises necessary? I've been ignoring them now for a long time. What would you recommend for that? I hate the laydown leg curl. How about Good Mornings?

Tuconots
    Low bar squat is great for hamstring and posterior chain. High bar is more quad oriented. You can also try rack pulls. Good for lower back and hams. Basically set the barbell so it's just below your knees and deadlift it.

http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/01/low-b...bar-squatting/

Succinctly, more vertical squat techniques use the quads and glutes as the primary movers while the low bar puts a premium on the posterior chain (particularly the hamstrings) for hip drive.
    I did stones today, fuck was it fun. Tears up your forearms a bit but I loved it. Hopefully do it again soon. This was either the 110 lb one or the 168 lb one. I think it was the 168:

Tuconots
    Started boxing again last week - I can already tell I'm losing muscle in my arms, chest and upper back. At this point I'll just say fuck it with the building mass deal. Last 10 days of eating my face off and heavy lifting haven't been fun (for me anyways). 3 days of sparring and doing heavy cardio is just more appealing to me, and I feel like I'm getting a better workout. I admire you guys that can do it though - I feel sick eating all the time.

Tuconots
    I've tried every idea possible. Squats are by far the best rehab for my knee.
    About 10 years ago I broke both my legs and tore every ligament in my left knee. As I approach new routines with the trainer we always start low to warm up my knee, and after living with it for so long I can tell before going in if it is going to be a problem. Something like lateral bridge that can put some pressure on the inside of the knee tend to tweak it a little. If my knee isn't in alignment with my foot / leg on squats or lunges it tweaks a little. So far straight leg dead lift and front squats have been great. Can tell that as my leg strengthens so does the stability. Also, in Yoga class all the old people always want to focus on hip movements, and the extra strength in my hip has helped stabilize my knee.

Leg curl does aggravate the knee a little bit. May ask about the low bar squat or rack pulls like Dashel suggests above and see how that works out.

Dabamf
    I'm definitely going to try low bar squats. Though recently I've been pulling my stance in closer as it feels better, so I'm nervous about going wide like Rippetoe advocates. I just watched like 20 Rippetoe videos. Convincing dude. Glad I don't have to do stupid shit like leg curls to work hamstrings. I'm a lanky dude so my back is more horizontal during even high-bar squats, so I'm probably working them a good amount even w/ high bar.

Deadlifts are bottlenecked by my legs. Is this normal?

Tuconots
    i think it depends on the deadlifts. Grip strength can hold you up, try a mixed grip if you havent already. I'm working on the hook grip which they say is really strong once you develop it. Also a lot of people really round their back and I'd guess that can be a sticking point too.

Tuconots
    So I've been constipated for like a week, gross I know, and I've gained like 9 pounds according to my gym's scale. Obviously this is a problem, so I started taking this shit called Psyllium. Anyone ever taken it? It's supposed to be natural grain fiber so it should help me push these motherfuckers out soon.

It's also a lot of water weight, but I'm guessing 4-6 pounds of it just pure constipation slowing down my metabolism. Shit sucks, too much protein lately I'm guessing, not enough fiber.

Tuconots
    Get your fiber from oatmeal in the morning, Raspberries during the day and if you want a grain, eat Quinoa.

Tuconots
    Oh, and around the holidays especially, this article is great to read. Being around family while you are beasting it in the gym like a hardcore mother fucker, puts those fat fucking lazy family members in perspective.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...k/its_sabotage

Tuconots
    Fiber usually isn't an issue, I just barely had any greens at all last week. I usually shit like there's no tomorrow, except this past week.

Tuconots
    So I've been constipated for like a week, gross I know, and I've gained like 9 pounds according to my gym's scale. Obviously this is a problem, so I started taking this shit called Psyllium. Anyone ever taken it? It's supposed to be natural grain fiber so it should help me push these motherfuckers out soon.

It's also a lot of water weight, but I'm guessing 4-6 pounds of it just pure constipation slowing down my metabolism. Shit sucks, too much protein lately I'm guessing, not enough fiber.
    I take Psyllium husks every morning with my cereal. Dump 3 times a day on the reg. I started taking it to help with severe exercise induced reflux a few years ago and its helped that.

Tuconots
    Awesome. Thanks, I'll take some pictures of my turds for you guys.

Tuconots
    The other thing about Psyllium (this may seem bizarre) - but since I've started taking it I don't get too hungover. It moves shit (literally) quick bro. Its natural too. Something else to consider is Saccharomyces Boulardii+Mos. Its a probiotic that keeps everything in check (especially if you're pumping that much protein in, which I assume you're doing). I fucked my intestinal tract up pretty bad when I was loading nothing but protein a few years ago getting ready for a cross country bike ride. Between the Psyllium and the probiotic, I'm right as rain again.

Nothing worse than a fucked up stomach.

Tuconots
    I take in a pretty balanced diet so I'm sure my stomach is fine. I don't feel pain or anything unnatural, I just didn't have a good week concerning greens and fiber, but I should be okay. I usually eat a huge bowl of salad before dinner, and going a week without that will do a number on your system when it's accustomed to it, or maybe I'm just spittin broscience right now idk.

Dabamf
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrindal View Post
    Oh, and around the holidays especially, this article is great to read. Being around family while you are beasting it in the gym like a hardcore mother fucker, puts those fat fucking lazy family members in perspective.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...k/its_sabotage
    tl;dr: Haters gonna hate

I tried low-bar squat today. First of all, it fucking rapes my shoulders since you have to pull your elbows back. They aren't flexible enough. Will stretches help? I've always had a limited range of motion in my shoulders. Probably because of so much computer gaming when young.

Second, I instantly went up 20lbs on my squat to 165. Wider stance as Rippetoe advocates. Definitely feels like my whole leg & ass is being worked rather than just ass/quads. It also felt like less of an impact on my knees, though since they are finicky, sample size of 1 isn't very telling. I'm gonna stick with this and try to stretch my shoulders in the meantime.

Also, I started eating yogurt mixed with granola late at night kind of as a dessert after dinner. But it makes me fart like a machine, and they're terrible, disgusting farts. WTF is going on? Also, up to 175lbs. Most I ever weighed before was 165. Low rep high weight deadlifts and frequent squats have packed on the pounds like nothing I've ever seen.

Tuconots
    tl;dr: Haters gonna hate

I tried low-bar squat today. First of all, it fucking rapes my shoulders since you have to pull your elbows back. They aren't flexible enough. Will stretches help? I've always had a limited range of motion in my shoulders. Probably because of so much computer gaming when young.

Second, I instantly went up 20lbs on my squat to 165. Wider stance as Rippetoe advocates. Definitely feels like my whole leg & ass is being worked rather than just ass/quads. It also felt like less of an impact on my knees, though since they are finicky, sample size of 1 isn't very telling. I'm gonna stick with this and try to stretch my shoulders in the meantime.

Also, I started eating yogurt mixed with granola late at night kind of as a dessert after dinner. But it makes me fart like a machine, and they're terrible, disgusting farts. WTF is going on? Also, up to 175lbs. Most I ever weighed before was 165. Low rep high weight deadlifts and frequent squats have packed on the pounds like nothing I've ever seen.
    You putting protein in the yogurt? My terrible gas was due to fucked up flora(fauna?) in my gut from the protein. Yogurt "should" have the opposite effect. I haven't met too many gym rats who didn't have stinky ass farts (including the girls). If its something like that, even Gas-X etc won't help much. Anytime you change anything significant in your diet, your shit gets whacked out. I went from eating tons of protein the last 2 weeks trying to bulk up, to eating a much more balanced diet this weekend due to training - and my gut is a little wacky.

Tuconots
    Mild lactose intolerance? Soft-serve ice cream from McDonald's and other fast food joints fucks me up, but all other dairy I'm fine with. A McFrosty, or whatever the fuck they're called, is pretty much asking for a poocano 2-3 hours later.

Tuconots
    The human body still doesn't digest dairy correctly, so no matter what, if you eat tons of dairy, your ass is going to stank.

Dabamf
    No added protein in the yogurt. I've drank a lot of milk my whole life, so my body is pretty used to it. I thought it was the granola, like the added fiber when I don't typically have much fiber. I will do an experiment.

Tuconots
    No added protein in the yogurt. I've drank a lot of milk my whole life, so my body is pretty used to it. I thought it was the granola, like the added fiber when I don't typically have much fiber. I will do an experiment.
    Bottle the smell and share the samples.

Thread Information