Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Sanderson

Tuconots

All Things Sanderson

Insert discussion of new fantasy writing overlord here.

Tuconots

the way of kings

i really thought 'the way of kings' was honestly the best book i've read in a long time, and i can't wait for the second installment to 'the stormlight archive'. very well done epic fantasy. kaladin is such a badass character. and szeth chapters are quite the treat.

Tuconots
    Agreed. Sanderson keeps getting better and better with every book, it seems. Can't wait to see where he takes The Stormlight Archive. Have you guys heard this rumor that all of his books are linked somehow? Like a couple certain characters that show up in every single one?
    Does the fact that I'm trying to do it do it for you?

on steam - notafunhater

Tuconots
    i hadn't heard that. would be interested in hearing more about it if anyone here knows more. examples. etc.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by mverlie View Post
    i hadn't heard that. would be interested in hearing more about it if anyone here knows more. examples. etc.
    Hoid shows up in all of them is the main evidence I think.

Tuconots
    There was some good talk and links on the subject at the old place.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a

http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2012...36-volume.html

Tuconots
    Well and he talks about it at conferences and online a bunch, so it's a little bit more than a theory. I just finished Emperor's Soul and enjoyed it. No Hoid though, apparently he was in a preview chapter that was cut from the book (although I imagine he's the fool that betrayed her).

Legion was also worth reading. Reading Elantris now then probably Infinity Blade and Warbreaker. Already got through Stormlight and Mistborn.

But really really really really ready for Stormlight #2 and another Mistborn sequel.

Tuconots
    Stormlight #2 = November 12th 2013. Could slip backwards but that's the expected release date according to Sanderson. If he manages it that will make 4 books on the year.

Tuconots
    The Way of Kings was easily the best book i've read for quite some time.

Tuconots
    I really love that all these awesome sub 40 year old fantasy writers are out there and constantly fucking with each other.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
    Stormlight #2 = November 12th 2013. Could slip backwards but that's the expected release date according to Sanderson. If he manages it that will make 4 books on the year.
    What are the 4 books? Stormlight #2, AMoL, what else? The first Dragonsteel book?

Tuconots
    Steelheart and Rithmatist, they're both YA.

Tuconots
    Yeah they are linked. His worlds are all basically part of the same multiverse, different "planes". The same "event" created each world. The trilogies/settings work as stand alone stories, but the idea is that if we stick with him through all 36+(!) of his planned books, it'll all come to a head/culminate in something that involves every world somehow. Some of the minor, background characters we've seen in Mistborn, Elantris, etc might become far more important in the greater scheme of things than the "main" characters from the individual series.

For example
    Spoiler: 
    Captain Demoux from Mistborn who somehow becomes a worldwalker after the events of the books, able to move between worlds.
    Last edited by Ayeshala; 02-18-2013 at 04:13 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlokk View Post
    I really love that all these awesome sub 40 year old fantasy writers are out there and constantly fucking with each other.
    I wish Rothfuss would write at Sanderson speed.....

Tuconots
    Shit I bet Rothfuss agrees with you.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlett View Post
    Shit I bet Rothfuss agrees with you.
    According to this Amazon review left by Rothfuss for the 3rd Mistborn book you are correct.

Specifically this part.

Simply said, Brandon Sanderson's books are so good that they're starting to piss me off. It just doesn't seem fair that someone should be about to write this well, this fast.

Tuconots
    Sanderson is god.

Tuconots
    God needs to have someone teach him how to curse correctly. Storm you, bros, storm you.

Tuconots
    One of his students, Brian mcclellan, is coming out with a book in April called promise of blood. Here's the write up. It actually seems like a really cool premise.
    http://aidanmoher.com/blog/2013/02/a...ian-mcclellan/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/031621...nkeyslothst-20

Tuconots
    According to this Amazon review left by Rothfuss for the 3rd Mistborn book you are correct.

Specifically this part.
    hah, no surprise. It makes me wonder though how many different outlines Sanderson has written for his lore and where he wants it to go. I find it easier to process this as a plan than as a spur of the moment wow-ness.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by nite1 View Post
    One of his students, Brian mcclellan, is coming out with a book in April called promise of blood. Here's the write up. It actually seems like a really cool premise.

Seems like a neat idea in the least.

Tuconots
    God needs to have someone teach him how to curse correctly. Storm you, bros, storm you.
    Storm you heathen. I'll storming kill you!

That stuff does irk me a bit, but the converse is often equally irritating. Like everyone referring to the ground as earth or something. I don't know exactly when dirt also became the word for the planet in our iteration of the matrix, but in these stories we read, I think there should be a parallel, and not them using the name of the planet I'm on for their dirt. It just makes me notice I'm reading a story when I had passed that barrier and was IN the world myself a moment ago. Those kind of withdraw points are bothersome. Strangely, the storm you type cursing does it as well, but to a lesser extent.

Tuconots
    Looks like the next book in The Storm Light Archives will be "Words of Radiance"
    So there we are! Words of Radiance. The book finally has a title. Now if I can just get back to writing the thing, life will be groovy. (And for future reference, I don’t expect this will be the only entry in the series to change names from its working title to its real title. Stones Unhallowed, Szeth’s book, might change. Highprince of War, Dalinar’s book, most certainly will.)
    http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/02/the...-been-revealed

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by notafunhater View Post
    Have you guys heard this rumor that all of his books are linked somehow? Like a couple certain characters that show up in every single one?
    Take a page out of the Stephen King book huh? I think that is awesome. I loved how Flagg would bounce around books / be different people but still be the same. Once I finish up the last wheel of time book I might have to check out some of his original work.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Sanderson
    One of my goals for the Stormlight Archive, which you may have heard me discuss, is to focus each book on a specific character through a series of flashbacks. In a large series like this (the Stormlight Archive is two five-book sequences), it can be difficult to give each volume its own identity. By devoting a sequence of flashbacks in each book to a specific character, I can better separate the volumes in my mind—and therefore make them more distinctive to readers.
    Okay, does this not sound like the same thing that's completely destroying Peter Brett at the moment? Also, I can't be the only one who just skipped the Kaladin flashbacks in WOK once I realized they were largely pointless, right?

Tuconots
    Okay, does this not sound like the same thing that's completely destroying Peter Brett at the moment? Also, I can't be the only one who just skipped the Kaladin flashbacks in WOK once I realized they were largely pointless, right?
    Peter Brett is destroying himself with overall bad writing, not with flashbacks. As for Kaladin's flashbacks, I agree that his childhood was just cut and dry heroish origin building that every fantasy story seems to do with one child or another and could have been done better or spent less time on. I would have preferred a brief mention of key details and more of a focus on his early life as a slave. His time in the army on the other hand was necessary for showing how he got in the cage in the first place though. On that note I really wish that Sanderson had spent more time on Kaladin's inner thoughts regarding that suit of shardplate, there was too little inner torment and too much of a casual dismissal to make that moment feel right to me.

I suppose that would be my main complaint about Kaladin, that he is too pure and good; he's never tempted by self interest, not even a tiny bit. His only fault is occasional despair and he can't really be blamed for that given the situation he finds himself in. That said I still like his story and am interested in where it might go.
    Last edited by Gask; 03-01-2013 at 09:42 AM.

Tuconots
    Kaladin's flashbacks, along with being character building for the book itself, is also Sanderson setting up a bunch of future Moments of Awesomeness™ & a Prodigal Son Returns™. But yeah, he could have edited them down a bit.

About Kaladin's character... switch the K with a P I guess. Sanderson isn't being too subtle here. I agree the moment he gives up the shardplate/blade moment could have been a little better handled. MAYBE we'll learn more about why the idea of taking the weapon for himself disgusted him later, there might be more to it than just "this weapon was used to kill my friends".
    Last edited by Ayeshala; 03-01-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayeshala View Post
    MAYBE we'll learn more about why the idea of taking the weapon for himself disgusted him later, there might be more to it than just "this weapon was used to kill my friends".
    I really do hope so. Had he been motivated even a little bit by a lust for glory and power when he led that charge and then had a long moment of reflection on just what the price for it all was then I could understand it better. But he wasn't and that just made the refusal really strange and artificial feeling especially given the opportunities he could have given to himself and his men had he taken it up if only to sell it later.

Perhaps it's related to that vision of the Knights Radiant at the fort.
    Last edited by Gask; 03-01-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Tuconots
    I kind of assumed that his giving up the shard plate was more of an instinctual decision instead of something that was a conscious thought process. his spren, Sylph?, kind of backs this up when she says that she flat out hates the blades

Tuconots
    I agree the moment he gives up the shardplate/blade moment could have been a little better handled. MAYBE we'll learn more about why the idea of taking the weapon for himself disgusted him later, there might be more to it than just "this weapon was used to kill my friends".
    I saw the decision as being related to Kaladin's hatred of the lighteyes. He wants to differentiate himself from them as much as possible. To him, a lighteyes would do anything to win shards. But he paid the price, willing or no, and to take them would make him truly a lighteyes.
    E-Sim: A World Sim Browser MMOG - Join the forum's team and help us stay one of the most respected countries in the game. Info

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Ko Dokomo View Post
    I saw the decision as being related to Kaladin's hatred of the lighteyes. He wants to differentiate himself from them as much as possible. To him, a lighteyes would do anything to win shards. But he paid the price, willing or no, and to take them would make him truly a lighteyes.
    I took it more as an I just got all my friends killed for this... moment even though it came off a bit weird and artificial especially since he wasn't fighting for the sword and armor anyway. But had he just taken the spoils he could have then sold them and bought his own little darkeyed kingdom somewhere and that is what makes the whole situation bizarre and hard to understand at least for me. It may seem like a minor quibble but it is the pivotal moment in his back story and its just really odd without any further explanation.

Tuconots
    Haven't seen this posted in the thread yet, but The Overlord has a YouTube page where he records himself as he's writing the second Stormlight book. Pretty interesting to watch if you're at all interested in his writing process.

Tuconots
    Perhaps its just me, but wouldn't Kal just drain the shard plate of energy anyway using his abilities making it pretty useless? In terms of his character I think that he realized what alot of the fighting was over and didn't want to "sink" to that level. Perhaps he's waiting for a shard spear his weapon of choice!

Tuconots
    Maybe the plate, but the only other surgebinder (I think that's the name) we know well is the assassin, and he uses the shardblade pretty damned handily.

Tuconots
    The Assassin guy is more deadly without the shardblade.

Tuconots
    Someone on his forums asked what would happen if Nightblood and a Shardblade hit each other

The answer: RAFO

I love this guy. He knows how to get his fanbase fired up.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Zindan View Post
    The Assassin guy is more deadly without the shardblade.
    The only time he does not use his shardblade is when he wants to be incognito. Otherwise hes running around cutting holes in solid granite and flinging the peices and other object around for laughs.

Tuconots
    The answer: RAFO
    For anyone else who doesn't want to look up every obscure acronym: Read And Find Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erronius View Post
    maybe there is some sort of mutant mandingo sweet-corn hybrid

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Gask View Post
    The only time he does not use his shardblade is when he wants to be incognito. Otherwise hes running around cutting holes in solid granite and flinging the peices and other object around for laughs.
    No, if I recall, he drops the shardblade on purpose before killing a bunch of guards (I forget which ruler he was going after). I think he may have also thought that killing without the shardblade was easier/better.

Tuconots
    Doesn't he drop the shardblade because the soldiers had shields that could block it? Since they were able to block the sword, it became easier to kill them without it.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Zindan View Post
    No, if I recall, he drops the shardblade on purpose before killing a bunch of guards (I forget which ruler he was going after). I think he may have also thought that killing without the shardblade was easier/better.
    He does it to make opponents drop their guard so that he can take advantage of rash behavior and then lash them to various things. He still ends up using it for every truly challenging fight though along with the lashings.

Tuconots
    Recently received my hardback for A Memory of Light, I'm so happy that this series is FINALLY ending.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Surn View Post
    Doesn't he drop the shardblade because the soldiers had shields that could block it? Since they were able to block the sword, it became easier to kill them without it.
    Yeah, they're using those Half-Shard Shields against him. As for why the Spren doesn't like it, we'll probably find out shardblades kill souls or something else Balefire-esqe.

Tuconots
    So if I recall correctly, does Kaladin employ the same power as Szeth? It seems to me that he does, but either sanderson wrote his fight sequence differently than the assassination or I'm in need of a re-read.

Tuconots
    Same thing, they're called Surgebinders. He just hasn't figured out the gravity manipulation skill yet.

Tuconots
    Not sure if it's a new price drop, but Way of Kings is digitally available for $2.99 now. If you haven't tried it yet (and it's awesome), it's a good chance to get it cheap.

Tuconots
    Not sure where else to put this but his students book came out last week. I'm about 30% through it and its.... not bad. Not surprisingly the magic systems kind of cool and the settings unique even if the main premise isn't. The biggest issue I'm having is the damn info dumps he hits you with. I think he may have slept through that class. ( side note he followed another Sanderson tradition creating his own curse words fortunately he weaves in a couple real ones too) id still recommend checking it out and hopefully he'll get better w certain things as it goes on

Tuconots
    And who is that?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by nite1 View Post

Being lazy and just replying to this

Tuconots
    Just finished Brian's book. I enjoyed it overall, but some transitions could've been smoother. Need more story before I say anything negative, so he's at least hooked me.

Tuconots
    Rithmatist is out, but can't decide if I should pick up the digital or hard copy. Apparently there's a decent amount of illustrations in the book but I'm not sure how they would transfer to the kindle edition. Anyone pick it up and have an opinion either way?

Tuconots
    May 14th...not sure where you saw it but it's not supposed to be out yet.

Tuconots
    You're right, apparently I can't read. It was on my recommended items list on amazon so I clicked on it and saw all the reviews...totally missed the release date.

Tuconots
    As has been said before, how he manages to keep up this level of output at this quality level, beggars belief.
    Legion and The Emperor's Soul were pretty good. I will pick up Rithmatist even though I tend to avoid YA.

Tuconots
    Just started Rithmatist, which is kind of like instead of the characters fighting, they sit down on the floor and start rolling 20 sided dies at each other. It's about as exciting as it sounds...

Tuconots
    Finished of Rithmatist - it started slow, but picked up a lot as it went along. It was definitely one of Sanderson's weakest books, but it was still pretty good. A heads up that it pretty much ends on a giant cliffhanger

Tuconots
    I liked it, but damn it didn't get good until the last 50 pages. Then cliffhanger. Ugh.

I really enjoyed the "science" and the descriptions that this universe implemented, but it's almost too Harry vs Voldemort by idea you get at the ending.

Way too short, I read this in a day.
    Ragefire - Snatty / Vlett
    Tunare - Sethlen / Ryoh
    Vulak - Snatty / Terran
    Stormrage - Vlett (RIP WoW)
    Ps4= Venir_1
    Balmung - Vlett Byrn
    Trakanon - Vlett

Tuconots
    Sanderson has practically ruined me on all the other authors out there. All these great series have a 5-8 year gap of RL time while they write / publish the next installment of their universe. The material doesn't even have to be good as long as it's steady!

Ug, now I sound like a mmo developer.
    Ragefire - Snatty / Vlett
    Tunare - Sethlen / Ryoh
    Vulak - Snatty / Terran
    Stormrage - Vlett (RIP WoW)
    Ps4= Venir_1
    Balmung - Vlett Byrn
    Trakanon - Vlett

Tuconots
    Sanderson has confirmed that there will be a trilogy of trilogies for the Mistborn series, along with several more Wax and Wayne novels.

http://aidanmoher.com/blog/2013/05/a...ribble+of+Ink)

Tuconots
    When is the second book of Stormlight Archives coming out?

Tuconots
    not soon enough

Tuconots
    Last update on it we got:

And now, as many of you have been hoping to read, some news about
    WORDS OF RADIANCE, the sequel to THE WAY OF KINGS.

The book is progressing well. But it's also going slowly. Big epics
    just take so much TIME. It's not simply the wordcount; the longer
    and more complex the book gets, the more time it takes to produce
    each page. A weaving of a half dozen characters and plots is a
    difficult thing to juggle. I love it, but boy is it hard.

I'm at 260,000 words as of this writing. (The target is 300,000
    words, or about the length of THE GATHERING STORM.) Awesome things
    are happening in the book, but I worry that it feels too
    fragmented, with everyone doing their "own thing" and without a
    stronger narrative to hold the book together. This was an issue
    with the first book, but the powerful Bridge Four sequence served
    as a backbone for the entire book and held it together.

This book needs more of an eye toward the entirety, and that's my
    main focus right now as I finish up the last chapters and turn
    toward revisions. I wanted passionately to have it out by November
    of this year, but that's growing more and more difficult. I know
    you all would rather have a better book later, and I'm not going to
    force anything.

At this point, we still have a "soft" release date of November, as
    listed on Amazon. However, we haven't committed to retailers for
    that date, and we haven't bought marketing space for it. (Which are
    the two big things that lock in a publication date.)

THE WAY OF KINGS was turned in in May 2010 and came out in
    August/September 2010, and TOWERS OF MIDNIGHT was turned in in
    August/September 2010 and came out in November 2010. So there is
    still plenty of time, but I can't promise anything. It could come
    out anywhere between November 2013 and May 2014. (Though it's
    highly unlikely to be later than that, considering how much I have
    done, and how well the writing is going.)

Tuconots
    Rereading the Mistborn trilogy. He's definitely made quite a bit of progress as a writer. I groaned reading the first book when I came across someone "landing maladroitly" for the 7th time.

Tuconots
    This just goes to show how much time epics really take to produce. Sanderson is probably the most prolific writer I've ever read and this is taking a while. I know he had to finish up Jordan properly(Hallelujah?!) but I'm still itching to get back into this series. The first book was just so much better than anything before it(by him). And it's all HIS.

Tuconots
    Fuck WoT. That series went to the dogs long before RJ died. I need more stormlight god damnit.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by zzeris View Post
    I'm still itching to get back into this series. The first book was just so much better than anything before it(by him). And it's all HIS.
    Amen. I wish he had left WoT to rot in favor of this, his own story.

Tuconots
    Would he have gotten the deals to make this series possible if he hadn't been picked for WoT?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhiro View Post
    Would he have gotten the deals to make this series possible if he hadn't been picked for WoT?
    Yes, he was already an up and coming super star fantasy writer at the time. I think he wanted to do WoT because he grew up reading it, and wanted it to be finished nicely.

Tuconots
    Yeah, they would have given him a contract based on Mistborn sells, but without WOT he wouldn't be #1 NY Times Bestseller guy he is now.

Tuconots
    I know I certainly picked up all his books based on his writing of the WOT series. Prior to that, I had not read him.

Tuconots
    I have Elantris and WoK but they are on my shelf unread. They both got pretty awesome reviews from this forum and other review sites. Im reading two other books at the moment, and juggling a third sounds inconvenient.

Should I read Elantris before WoK? Ive been hesitating on starting WoK because it gets great word-of-mouth praise, and if its that good, I'd rather have two books in the series to consume rather than one.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwinks View Post
    Should I read Elantris before WoK? Ive been hesitating on starting WoK because it gets great word-of-mouth praise, and if its that good, I'd rather have two books in the series to consume rather than one.
    Elantris is noticeably weaker than his other books, but it's still good, and is self contained, so there's that.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwinks View Post
    I have Elantris and WoK but they are on my shelf unread. They both got pretty awesome reviews from this forum and other review sites. Im reading two other books at the moment, and juggling a third sounds inconvenient.

I read a few of his Mistborn books and couldn't really get into them and some of his other books felt like fairly generic fantasy fare but I thoroughly enjoyed Way of Kings. It's not that it is a flawless novel, it has several, but the drama of bridge four really drew me in and got me to give a damn about them which is a rare thing. Its main problem is that every other perspective save for Szeth's just feels like an interruption to the real story but Sanderson seems to be working on this for the next one.

Anyway it is book 1 in a supposedly 10 book series... so we all have quite a wait ahead of us. If you have time and want to read a good book then go crack/click it open.
    Last edited by Gask; 06-07-2013 at 02:18 AM.

Tuconots
    Might as well start with Elantris and get his early book out of the way. WoK is far superior and the next one is my top option for future reading. Hopefully, it's just as large as WoK because I've almost run out of books I really want to read right now.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Gask View Post
    I read a few of his Mistborn books and couldn't really get into them
    I really enjoyed the Mistborn books. The ending of the last trilogy book really got me in the feels.

Tuconots
    Hated the end of the Mistborn trilogy. Scoobie Doo hammy bullshit.

Tuconots
    After a youtube link from here, I started watching his lecture series. Covers what seems one semester, and is real interesting as he will often cite other contemporary fantasy authors and the styles or tools they use, so you get those "OMG yes!" moments. Germaphobes beware, though - he's pretty gross with the way he handles candies then throws them to students who ask questions.

I'm actually not a big fan of Sanderson, and agree with him that Rothfuss is the man, but the lecture series is amazingly interesting.

Tuconots
    We're so God damned spoiled right now for good to great fantasy writers it is insane. I've mentioned it before, there's like this club of them that are all under or right around 40 years old with Sanderson, Rothfuss, Abercrombie, Lynch etc etc. And there's more of them every year with guys like Mark Lawrence hitting the scene. I guess you've got to give credit to guys like GRRM and Erikson(and even Jordan) who broke out of the LOTR mold a bit and were successful doing it, making different fantasy a viable option for a lucrative career.

edit: I'm sure JK Rowling played a part as well.

Tuconots
    Jordan. I know it didn't end well, but that guy pushed Fantasy to another level in the 90s.

Tuconots
    I'm too busy writing hit albums and banging models to be reading this shit, but some of you meganerds will like it I'm sure.

A Field Guide To Roshar: The Ecology of The Way of Kings

Tuconots
    First draft of Words of Radiance(Stormlight book 2) submitted to TOR today.

Tuconots
    So I read about 1/3 of WoK before stuff came up and I never picked it back up. It was pretty good. In the meantime, I got the Mistborn trilogy for Christmas and was planning on reading either WoK or Mistborn next. Which series is better to get into first for a good feel of Sanderson?

FWIW I will probably start WoK from the beginning.
    Noodleface#1412 - <Rerolled> US-Hyjal Horde - Noodleface

Follow me on Twitch! - Streaming Rerolled minivan dad raids Friday nights 9PM EST and Saturday mornings 11AM EST!

Tuconots
    Go with mistborn. Its a good series and you can get a good feel for his writing style. I read, WoK first, then mistborn, went back to Elantris, then warbreaker. Can really see his progression as a writer from Elantris to WoK.

Tuconots
    Nice, I was leaning towards Mistborn. Even though it's collectively longer than WoK, I needed a short book after woodshedding ASOIAF 3->5 in 2 weeks.
    Noodleface#1412 - <Rerolled> US-Hyjal Horde - Noodleface

Follow me on Twitch! - Streaming Rerolled minivan dad raids Friday nights 9PM EST and Saturday mornings 11AM EST!

Tuconots
    First draft of Words of Radiance(Stormlight book 2) submitted to TOR today.
    What a machine, if GRRM, Patrick Rothfuss, Brett, Bakker, Weeks, Lynch, Lawrence and others could write at his speed while maintaining quality I'd look for early retirement just so I could read.

Tuconots
    Just finished Rithmatist last night and really enjoyed it. Guy eventually just has to run out of ideas and ways to craft a world around them. Each time a synopsis for a new book comes it I'm like, "oh really? Colors? Well, we'll see," and "oh, chalk stick figures? Great, that sounds exciting," etc... Then I spend more time looking at the damn diagrams in the books and thinking about the mechanics. Would love to see sequels to Rithmatist, Emperor's Soul, and Alloy of Law. Good news is that along with WoR he's sure to have 4 other books published by the time I'm finished with Blood and Bone of Malazan.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaio View Post
    What a machine, if GRRM, Patrick Rothfuss, Brett, Bakker, Weeks, Lynch, Lawrence and others could write at his speed while maintaining quality I'd look for early retirement just so I could read.
    Thank fuck you added the part I bolded or I'd have come back when drunk and went on some ridiculous diatribe that would benefit no one=P

Much as I love Sanderson's books I don't think of them like I do GRRM/Lynch or the first Kingkiller book. Sanderson's books are great because no one builds a world and a magic system like him, but the actual words don't stick with me quite the same. I tend to nitpick him more, but I think that's just because there always seems to be a Sanderson book fresh in your memory=P And he doesn't quite have the knack for dialogue that some of those other guys do, and I'm all about the dialogue. He's sort of like a counterpoint to Lynch that way. Lynch's world and magic are kind of hodge podge and small scale, but I could read 500 pages of just Locke and Jean talking. Sanderson makes a full vibrant world and super detailed magic system and has a lot of it all laid out in interesting and entertaining fashion pretty quickly.

Tuconots
    Just finished way of kings and fucking loved it, I hate waiting for the next book in a series, i couldn't put it down and i so want to see what happens next. I'm impressed by the quantity and quality he puts out and have enjoyed everything he does but i hope now that he is done with wheel of time he will focus on stormlight.

Tuconots
    Here is the latest update with projected releases:
    His Blog
    Tor is pushing for a Jan. release date on Words of Radiance and he wants to start keeping the time between to 18-24 months.

Tuconots
    Jesus, I mean seriously read that blog update and just go through the list of stuff he has working, incredible. Highlights for me (other than copypasta'ing the whole list):

Warbreaker / Rithmatist sequel - Really cool, didn't know these were planned as a series unless I overlooked it completely, sounds familiar that Warbreaker was but though Rithmatist was just a short story he did during breakfast one day when the NY Times Crossword puzzle was too easy.
    New Wax and Wayne!
    The Liar of Partinel - A Hoid origin story... Not sure I really want this right now. He's a cool easter egg in all the novels (and can remain), but knowing too much about him might take away some mystique. But he says very far off so not too bad
    Mistborn Videogame - Cool hearing that the new console generation has pushed it back and if they're developing it for Xbone / PS4 now, hope it is pretty good
    Legion TV Show! - The damn short story read like a draft TV script, someone bring Jeff Goldblum back and do the same thing he did in Raines

He is a robot sent from the future

Tuconots
    wait Hoid is in all the books? I have only read elantris years ago, and don't remember him. But I am very intrigued if he is tying all his books I to the same universe/multiverse

Tuconots
    Well I don't know if it is a spoiler or anything, just don't dive too deep in to the wiki: http://coppermind.net/wiki/Cosmere

I guess when I said 'all' it was a reference to his Cosmere novels. Don't want anyone getting too sandy over that.
    Last edited by Intrinsic; 07-25-2013 at 07:46 AM.

Tuconots
    He is tying everything together, he has already confirmed that. I think we've seen that best in WoK so far, with those invisible creatures or whatever, and Odium. Eventually he will be doing a series that should be a culmination all his previous works.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    He is tying everything together, he has already confirmed that. I think we've seen that best in WoK so far, with those invisible creatures or whatever, and Odium. Eventually he will be doing a series that should be a culmination all his previous works.
    He's not even talking about Mistborn Trilogy #2 in there, so my _guess_ is the final tie up is going to be Mistborn trilogy #3.

And the reason for that is
    Spoiler: 
    he's publicly confirmed the state of the world of Mistborn #3 is far future with spaceships possessing FTL capabilities. That means the people of the time period of Mistborn#3 will be able to visit all of the other planets without having to go through the weird, dangerous plane of existence Shalan visits in Way of Kings.
    Last edited by Ayeshala; 07-25-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Tuconots
    Yeah I looked through the coppermind a bit and shit now I have to read all of these, not that I'm really complaining but man he found my weakness, this is going to be like Michael morcock or trying to keep up with all batman titles all over again. At least I won't run out of things to read.

Tuconots
    Just picked up Elantris today because the bookstore near me didn't have any of Mistborn. I'm like half done it already. :|

Tuconots
    I think Sanderson has said that the cosmere novels will be made up by 37 books. Pretty damn ambitious.

Tuconots
    Yeah I Remember Elantris being a quick read, I think I might rereed it now that I am more aware of the overall setting. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those 37 are short stories or novellas

Tuconots
    http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2012...36-volume.html

There ya go, couldn't find it originally but knew that page existed.

Tuconots
    That is crazy and intriguing, though not getting the whole picture till 2035 is is sad, he better live that long, I guess I better too.

On another note, I have a hard copy of Elantris but I don't read hard copies anymore, and I don't really want to double buy it if I don't have to. does anyone know where I can find a mobi version of it for my kindle.

Thread Information