Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Citizen Online

Living in the past GorestabbCOE's Avatar
    Tuconots

Star Citizen Online

Star Citizen Online

New space fighter MMO game being made by the creator of the Wing Commander series.

Interesting interview here.
    Last edited by GorestabbCOE; 12-07-2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Added interview

Tuconots
    I think this looks really cool. That being said, I don't know if I will think that in 2014 (the estimated release), or if they'll be able to stick to half of the stuff they're talking about doing.

Tuconots
    Non-fantasy MMO, I'll try it. Seriously, sounds exciting.

Tuconots
    So I got around to reading the emails I've been getting (minus the ficiton bits) and so, yeah, player-run servers and modding is supported right from the start and 'popular' fan-made ship designs can through some process become a part of the official server. Pretty neat.

Of course 99% of these fan models and modded servers will be either Star Wars or Wing Commander. Maybe even a little Babylon 5 and BSG. But for people looking for their Tie Fighter fix, I'm sure there will be a quality setup for that quite quickly.

Tuconots
    Arent some really outstanding games made for around 7-8 Million Dollars?

-Edit- Some quick information gathering just scrounged up that they are on the lighter side of financing. But nothing that would make them fall short with the fewer amount of team members in comparison to other titles by larger producers.
    Last edited by Daidraco; 01-18-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Tuconots
    Is this actually a MMO (shared world etc)? Seems to me its more of a server-based design with shared main system lobbies or the like, say GW1 or D2 if you count the chat room? Systems are said to be instanced to a certain amount of players per side. Asking because I'd love for a new EVE-like game to come out but it doesnt seem this will be it.

Tuconots
    It's actually not an MMO and Chris Roberts has mentioned it in numerous interviews. It will have a persistent world, but it'll be a single player experience.

From their FAQ:
    "No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience."

/mukkel

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Creed View Post
    Is this actually a MMO (shared world etc)?
    There's an interesting article here where the creator describes instancing etc. The impression I get is it is similar to Guild Wars in that there are "Town" hubs and then instanced space, but on a larger scale than just your group.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by mukkel View Post
    It's actually not an MMO and Chris Roberts has mentioned it in numerous interviews. It will have a persistent world, but it'll be a single player experience.

From their FAQ:
    "No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience."

/mukkel
    Massive unexploited part of the MMO market - user created content. Yes, some have dipped their toes in, like CoH, but none have had it as part of the core design from the off.

Half a dozen paid devs working on new content or five thousand players creating new content with five devs paid to oversee, target and tune what they put forward ?
    Last edited by Flight; 01-18-2013 at 01:21 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by GorestabbCOE View Post
    There's an interesting article here where the creator describes instancing etc. The impression I get is it is similar to Guild Wars in that there are "Town" hubs and then instanced space, but on a larger scale than just your group.
    Gorestabb is on par with what I believe the team is going after. These guys are trying to steer clear of saying certain words as to not alienate some particular audience that may hate MMO's. If this game was much further into the development cycle, I would bad mouth them for being so tight lipped. But all in all, the little bits that they have promised have sounded awesome. I personally hope this game is a little more oriented to MMO than to single player, though.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    Massive unexploited part of the MMO market - user created content. Yes, some have dipped their toes in, like CoH, but none have had it as part of the core design from the off.
    I worked on CoH - The potential that engine had when the game came out was tremendous, but 90% of it was locked down and not even used internally at the studio. It'll be great to see if they allow the flexibility that was there all along for CoH - Maybe we will get some wizards who add multiplayer functionality with persistence in!

We can all hope

Tuconots
    There's a pretty exciting interview here with Chris Roberts. Among other things he says that the game will be PC only, hurrah!

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post

Half a dozen paid devs working on new content or five thousand players creating new content with five devs paid to oversee, target and tune what they put forward ?
    POTBS had it. In the end, having a good game turned out to be more important.

Tuconots
    You forgot Buck Rogers!

Tuconots
    Really looking forward to this game, and so are a lot of others I guess judging by how successful the kickstarter was. Now to find something to do till alpha...hnnnng

Tuconots
    I'll just forget about it for a year or two, no point in pining for it when I can pine for EQN that has a much lower chance of turning out great. I did throw some in the kickstarter though because more good space games is always great, the last decade really neglected them.

Anyway from the explanations people gave on how the game is going to work, shouldnt this be moved to the other games forum? Its pretty much a game lobby setup with the option to have persistant characters on their servers or use your own servers with custom rules instead. Thats as far away from what an MMO should be as it gets.

Tuconots
    The 300 Series Revealed

The entire team at Cloud Imperium Games is proud to reveal today the ORIGIN Jumpworks 300 Series line of spacecraft. You’ve caught glimpses of the base model ORIGIN 300i over the past few months and now we’re pleased to unveil the entire line.

I love that they've put blueprints in the brochure. It reminds me of the blueprints I got with my first ever copy of Wing Commander that I had on my wall as a kid.

Tuconots
    Now, just let me see a video like that for my sweet sweet Freelancer and I'll be happy.

Banned
    Tuconots
    The budget is bigger than people think because he put in his own money, then raised a lot more money privately, then raised more on his website, THEN did kickstarter and raised millions, and since that ended they have a full store full of buyable stuff on the website so are presumably making more each day.

I just hope its fun. I don't like ones that are too arcade-ish because they become all about dogfights which are pretty boring when you do them over and over. And I don't like ones that are too nerdy. Elite was pretty good but there was limited appeal after you did a bunch of missions and a bunch of trades and upgraded to a cool ship etc.. I wanted to be able to make huge corporations and fleets of star ships to protect my interests but you couldn't do that. Something like a mixture of the two would be nice.

p.s. I never liked the X games, too boring and horrible interface.

Tuconots
    I've played Freelancer so many times over the last decade, it's a great game and not only because there's not really been anything to match it. I'd be content if they just updated it to include more speaking parts after the main storyline so you don't always hear "Got anything for me?"....."You're new around here aren't you?"......"Uhhhhh yeah."

The X games are good, but you have to invest the time to learn the interface, which sadly they've not really updated since the earlier incarnations of X. They tend to rely on the fact you've played the previous versions to save them updating the interface or doing a proper tutorial.

Banned
    Tuconots
    The new one is pretty promising, called Rebirth. They are taking their time and I think they are trying to broaden the appeal. Whether that means dumbing it down, or just tidying it up to be a lot less clunky, remains to be seen. But I am looking forward to it.

And of course... Elite mofo 4.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    I just hope its fun. I don't like ones that are too arcade-ish because they become all about dogfights which are pretty boring when you do them over and over.
    You're asking for the spiritual successor to Wing Commander to be light on dogfighting.

getoutgetoutgetout.jpg

p.s. I never liked the X games, too boring and horrible interface.
    But you liked EQ?

Tuconots
    I have a question. I've never really played any kind of space game, barring the BBS game Trade Wars in the late 80's/early 90's, which doesn't really count. For some reason I got super excited about this game. I pledged a bunch of money and now I wait. Me, being a huge nerd and kind of going over the top, started thinking about building some big ass arcade cabinet style enclosure, with a pilot chair, force feedback, and all the bells and whistles. Started dreaming up little dreams in my head and planning out how this would work.

However, with the oculus rift coming out.. I sort of think that's the way to go. So, my new plan became "Get a chair and all the controls to make this the nerdiest virtual reality-ist experience ever! So I start looking around at WHAT to buy, and to what do I discover? It seems most people say the flight sticks, foot pedals, etc are all pretty detrimental, and what do they recommend? Keyboard and mouse.

So, what do people with a history of these types of games think? I mean, I assume everyone's going to be on the oculus rift train, but as far as controls go, do you guys agree? I suppose its great for my wallet if thats the case, I was just really excited to pretend to be in space. ^_^
    Last edited by Onoes; 06-26-2013 at 11:43 PM.

MAKE EARTH EXTINCT AGAIN! Abefroman's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Nothing beats a flight stick set up imo. You just can't get the same immersion( that's right I said Immersion, fucking deal with it!) with a K/M set up. Half the fun is feeling like you are actually flying a spacecraft. FFS I'm a god damn spacesim neckbeard.

Oh yah this sounds cool. App in august for your ship hanger.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/pc-games/s...reaks-records/

Apprentice Developer
    Tuconots
    Why do you have a Luclin model as your avatar. I will never take what you say seriously now.

Tuconots
    You're just jealous of my dashing hair cut.

Banned
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Itzena View Post
    You're asking for the spiritual successor to Wing Commander to be light on dogfighting.
    No you are just too retarded to see. I want it to have really deep combat, and not just be a pew pew action game. Wing Commander was fun as a kid in 1990, it wouldn't cut it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Itzena View Post
    But you liked EQ?
    EQ was easy, and not page after page of database and spreadsheet.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Onoes View Post
    I have a question. I've never really played any kind of space game, barring the BBS game Trade Wars in the late 80's/early 90's, which doesn't really count. For some reason I got super excited about this game. I pledged a bunch of money and now I wait. Me, being a huge nerd and kind of going over the top, started thinking about building some big ass arcade cabinet style enclosure, with a pilot chair, force feedback, and all the bells and whistles. Started dreaming up little dreams in my head and planning out how this would work.

However, with the oculus rift coming out.. I sort of think that's the way to go. So, my new plan became "Get a chair and all the controls to make this the nerdiest virtual reality-ist experience ever! So I start looking around at WHAT to buy, and to what do I discover? It seems most people say the flight sticks, foot pedals, etc are all pretty detrimental, and what do they recommend? Keyboard and mouse.

So, what do people with a history of these types of games think? I mean, I assume everyone's going to be on the oculus rift train, but as far as controls go, do you guys agree? I suppose its great for my wallet if thats the case, I was just really excited to pretend to be in space. ^_^
    I dont think there is a real answer to this question yet. The Oculus Rift is still so new i dont think the best control schemes have been found yet. Probably going to be a little while as people figure out what works and what doesnt.

As for your cockpit idea, i have no idea! Space sims have been a dead genre for so long there just arent a lot of options for what you want to do. It will likely end up completely custom. I would start by looking into the Flight Sim and Racing Sim communities.

Tuconots
    I saw a couple of leaked picture of a frigate or something with several seats on the bridge. Does anyone know if the game is going to support full avatar movement through your ship and/or having multiple players run one ship (and if required for larger ones or just an advantage)?

Tuconots
    Yes there will be full movement though your ship if its not just a small single seat fighter. You friends can man stations on capital ships if you own one and there can be boarding parties ect as well.

Tuconots
    Yeah, the ship I bought seats two. If I have a friend with me he can man the rear 360 turret, if I'm alone I can set it to auto-turret (I believe, possibly by having an equip slot taken up by a computer). The next ship size up however has room for 3, one pilot manning the front guns, one guy manning rear guns, and one man taking a small interceptor ship out and manning that. If you are alone in that ship, again assuming auto-turret, your little interceptor ship just chills in your hanger, useless.

Would be very cool to see some massive ship that potentially has a full crew (think a guild base). Maybe at 6pm you want to stay the hell away from it... but you see it flying at 2am... how many people are actually onboard? Very exciting stuff.

Banned
    Tuconots
    But is combat always just dumb pew pew pew lazerz?

I want to see lots of different types of weapons with some tactical opportunity. Like a heatseeking missile that hits and causes damage over time - useless late in a fight but great if you set it off at the start. An EMP that stops the ship for a moment or slows it down or something. A very powerful lazer that slices but it moves slowly and you have to manually steer it at the ship and hope to hit. A disruptor that drops their shields for a moment. A virus that makes them shoot off all their weapons at nothing. Another virus that reverses their controls for a while and reduces their engine speed. A tractor beam that only lands if their shields are down but lets you transport a bunch of mini droids on to their ship that eat away at it and cause hull damage. A liquid nitrogen bomb that encases their entire ship in thick ice that harms its manoeuvrability and makes it so they can't see where they are going. A reverse heal, like another virus that causes enemy lazer fire to temporarily boost your shields rather than harm them. A receptor droid that you fire and attaches to their ship, then attacks you make with a certain type of weapon will be magnified by the droid. Etc..etc..etc..

And then a whole bunch of stuff which you can use on yourself to counteract these types of things. Basically, I want MMO-ish combat but in a pew pew action form. Otherwise I would be bored.

Tuconots
    Oh no it definitely will not only be pew pew lasers. Missiles will definitely be in also they have many different weapon types for your main guns. Tractor beams are in as well but they are used once you disable a ship. Beams will enable you to board them if you want to try and take a ship intact by killing the crew in close combat.

Banned
    Tuconots
    Cool, then count me in!

Tuconots
    Fuck you guys got me excited about this and I dont even play space sims.

The -multiple people- operating a large ship has me. Has this been fleshed out by the creators?

Tuconots
    Seriously, 3 people manning one ship is gonna sell it to me, its one of the things I always wished EVE had done differently. A mix of Tie Fighter style dogfights and Star Trek 'sit on command chair and sip tea while issuing orbirtal bombardment orders' gameplay? Worth checking out for sure.

I havent really followed the details because fuck getting excited 2 years in advance, but afaik they are going for a very simulation-like feel. So I assume 'snare-torpedos' are out on account of physics. On the other hand even simple realistic space physics are gonna be interesting to play in.

Tuconots
    There doing a live broadcast now in prep for the relaunch of their website.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Cool, then count me in!
    I can't wait for the keyboard vs. joystick 'discussion'.

Tuconots
    If they use the mouse control from WC5, there won't be a discussion, because mouse would be 1000x easier. (the "follow the cursor" style - I'm not sure if there's another game that uses anything similar)

Shit this game just makes me want to install FSOpen again. Last time I downloaded everything and all the mods and then never actually played it because goddamn there a million games out there I've never played and I've played that shit three times already.

Tuconots
    WC5 = Prophecy? That wasnt a roberts game and it showed, cant comment on mouse control though.
    Whats FSOpen Kreugen, sounds promising so far.

Tuconots
    I really hope the combat is similiar to Freespace 2. The capital ships fighting each other with big beams and flak canons and AA-Beams all over the place created an awsome atmosphere and made them really fearsome, when you got too close.

Otherwise I will surely follow this game. Its about time for a new game in this genre.

Edit: For the poster above. This is a mission from the official campaigne, but there also are a shitton of mods and additional mission made by players. Mission starts at minute 7.

Last edited by Ridas; 06-29-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Tuconots
    http://www.pcgames.de/Star-Citizen-P...Video-1076816/

video description is jsut a lot of techbabble except for one interesting fact:

4 player ship.

Tuconots
    For those interested, you have until July 6th to buy a ship with life time insurance!

Tuconots
    http://youtu.be/06Un1pEr5tA this was a good one, especially at the end regarding the build in for the Occulus system.

Tuconots
    I've wanted a next gen space sim for so long...

Tuconots
    Good vid on how the economy will work in Star Citizen.

http://youtu.be/r0qXEAqYIH8

Tuconots
    Just pledged today, really excited for this and Elite: Dangerous.

Tuconots
    Did you get the $275 package?

Tuconots
    I like the look of the game. I do like the idea of a freelancer MMO, and for some reason EVE just never hit it for me.

Looking at the pre-order packages.... $5,000 for the top package? Really?
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/p...ce-marshal-lti

Tuconots
    For that much they better make me partner.

Banned
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by haus View Post
    $5,000 for the top package? Really?
    All the crowd sourced funding stuff does that, so that people like Notch can help out if they want to.

Tuconots
    I did the $65 bounty hunter thing before they turned off the lifetime insurance deal. They way I look at it, Roberts has a proven track record, between Wing Commander and Freelancer...short of the X-Wing and Tie Fighter, it does not get any better than that.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhilist View Post
    I did the $65 bounty hunter thing before they turned off the lifetime insurance deal. They way I look at it, Roberts has a proven track record, between Wing Commander and Freelancer...short of the X-Wing and Tie Fighter, it does not get any better than that.
    Same here, I am already impressed with how the project is moving along too.

Tuconots
    Hue.

Tuconots
    Remember when the original funding goal was $2M? And the industry apparently thinking that there's no more market for a space sim?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

Tuconots
    Anyone interested in being the Junkies Nation Star Citizen updater? Need someone to cover the game as it develops.

Tuconots
    The hangar module is out now. Downloading as I type this. From what I've seen and heard from other friends who all ready have it, it looks visually great with some amazing animations.

Tuconots
    Ran the hangar module. It was about what I expected, an alpha game engine with pretty good but overly demanding visuals.

They really love film grain and motion blur. Sometimes after seeing motion blur I wonder if you people get all blurry and disoriented when you turn your head, because that shit is comically wrong to me.

Tuconots
    I always turn that shit off. No game's ever gotten it right.

Tuconots
    Yeah, screw blur and film grain. Why is this even in there, it's not an old movie, but a videogame from 2013. Anyways, I'm really stoked for this, just hope they don't mess it up with a crazy ingame shop. Some of these ship variants they're selling, go for the price of a new game.
    Obviously it's supposed to help with the funding, but let's just hope they don't get any funny ideas, due to people who're all to willing to spend 55 dollars on a skin for a game that's not even released.

Tuconots
    You didnt look close enough, some ships cost more then a console or smartphone... but maybe those were also limited releases

On that note, is there any new info on how MMO this is going to be? Last I heard it was "maps" somewhat bigger then the usual shooters so instances of 100vs100 maybe? Probably decent enough to rub the EVE itch.

Tuconots
    Read some of their early blogs. There is a lot of instancing in this game.

Tuconots
    Instanced as in Neverwinter with public areas for a few dozen people and then a new copy of that map is created, or instanced just for you and those you allow to enter? There used to be talk of non-consentual PVP but I cant find if that was wishful thinking or actual design elements (obviously nothing exists as of yet).

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Creed View Post
    Instanced as in Neverwinter with public areas for a few dozen people and then a new copy of that map is created, or instanced just for you and those you allow to enter? There used to be talk of non-consentual PVP but I cant find if that was wishful thinking or actual design elements (obviously nothing exists as of yet).
    They have a ship designed around priating with tractor beams so I'm pretty sure it is not solo instances and non consensual is a go.

Tuconots
    I imagine they'll tweak the level of instancing and consenuality in beta. Whatever details they say now about it is probably bullshit.
    Last edited by Tuco; 08-31-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
    I imagine they'll tweak the level of instancing and consenuality in beta. Whatever details they say now about it is probably bullshit.
    I expect we will find out at the end of the year when the dog fighting module is released, unless that ends up just being some kind of death match thing.

Tuconots
    I dunno what you'd expect from the dog fighting module besides a death match thing to get the gameplay right.

Tuconots
    300i looks good man!

Tuconots
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...And-Instancing

This article covers the star citizen concept of instancing. It has been out a while but it definitely clears things up quite a bit while still leaving the question can they pull it off. What the article talks about is that you can turn up or turn down how many pvp encounters you want to have versus pve encounters, however those settings only work when you are in protected space. There is Nul sec space like eve, where it doesn't matter how you have your settings set if you run in to an encounter it's pvp and you have to deal with it. If you know who you are tracking you can mark them and when you get close you will launch in to a seamless battle instace and be able to kill them. Presumably if you are a pirate who is always engaging in pvp and stealing cargo and what not, you would get lots of battle instances with other players so you can attempt to take em out.

Tuconots
    With the money that people have thrown at this thing, do you think they have started to rethink their idea of multiplayer? $17 million or whatever they have now has open more doors for the devs than they probably thought possible at the outset of this thing.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...And-Instancing

This article covers the star citizen concept of instancing. It has been out a while but it definitely clears things up quite a bit while still leaving the question can they pull it off. What the article talks about is that you can turn up or turn down how many pvp encounters you want to have versus pve encounters, however those settings only work when you are in protected space. There is Nul sec space like eve, where it doesn't matter how you have your settings set if you run in to an encounter it's pvp and you have to deal with it. If you know who you are tracking you can mark them and when you get close you will launch in to a seamless battle instace and be able to kill them. Presumably if you are a pirate who is always engaging in pvp and stealing cargo and what not, you would get lots of battle instances with other players so you can attempt to take em out.
    Good article, thanks for posting.

I think his general idea is good. From a PVP perspective the only way a pirates vs shippers setup would work is if shippers have a reason to engage in PVP zones. If there's a remote military outpost in the nul-sec space that pays a huge premium for goods shipped to it that would solve that problem.

Personally I can't get interested in PVP unless it involves large scale territory control. And unlimited and temporary instances are an anathema to territory control. But it doesn't seem like Star Citizen is going that route.

Tuconots
    Good article, thanks for posting.

I think his general idea is good. From a PVP perspective the only way a pirates vs shippers setup would work is if shippers have a reason to engage in PVP zones. If there's a remote military outpost in the nul-sec space that pays a huge premium for goods shipped to it that would solve that problem.

Personally I can't get interested in PVP unless it involves large scale territory control. And unlimited and temporary instances are an anathema to territory control. But it doesn't seem like Star Citizen is going that route.
    It does sound like the most lucrative places to ship to and to get resources from are in nul sec, which would give pirates a reason to be there, and give squadrons a reason to escort their shippers through there, which should result in some interesting combat. The article unfortunately doesn't detail how we go about knowing someone is in the system with us.

With the money that people have thrown at this thing, do you think they have started to rethink their idea of multiplayer? $17 million or whatever they have now has open more doors for the devs than they probably thought possible at the outset of this thing.

Now that they do have a bunch of money, I think their technology could meet the requirements for no instancing, however I think the player pcs still arent up to snuff, as he says even quad sli set ups can't handle what the dog fighting is supposed to be like on a large scale. While that sucks on one hand, on the other it must be some pretty good shit if the powerful of a system can't handle it.
    Last edited by Carl; 09-02-2013 at 04:33 PM.

Tuconots
    I think the whole point of all this money is so they can go to a publisher or other source of funds and get fully funded. 17 million isn't all that much for a AAA MMO and single player game.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmerly View Post
    I think the whole point of all this money is so they can go to a publisher or other source of funds and get fully funded. 17 million isn't all that much for a AAA MMO and single player game.
    I agree with that line of thinking, but I also remember Chris mentioning that it was nice not having a publisher to answer to on this project. Maybe that just means up to the point that they do eventually need to get some more money.

Edit: just found this post as star citizen hit $17M a few days ago. Currently they DONT have enough to be fully community funded, but they expect to hit their mark by the end of the year.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...241-17-Million

Edit again for excitement: The 19mil stretch goal involves player owned space stations that you have to fight over to maintain control of!
    Last edited by Carl; 09-02-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmerly View Post
    I agree with that line of thinking, but I also remember Chris mentioning that it was nice not having a publisher to answer to on this project. Maybe that just means up to the point that they do eventually need to get some more money.

Edit: just found this post as star citizen hit $17M a few days ago. Currently they DONT have enough to be fully community funded, but they expect to hit their mark by the end of the year.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...241-17-Million

Edit again for excitement: The 19mil stretch goal involves player owned space stations that you have to fight over to maintain control of!
    Chris has indeed spoken about how much further the money goes when you don't have to satisfy a publisher. I think the total they are looking for is 22ish million, which they think goes 3x as far or some figure without publisher strings.

Tuconots
    Now that they do have a bunch of money, I think their technology could meet the requirements for no instancing, however I think the player pcs still arent up to snuff, as he says even quad sli set ups can't handle what the dog fighting is supposed to be like on a large scale. While that sucks on one hand, on the other it must be some pretty good shit if the powerful of a system can't handle it.
    The player PC thing is just bullshit anyway. When dogfighting the spaceship detail is wasted and technology to scale the LOD is decades old. Space sims are some of the easiest games to process because there's no world terrain.

And yeah, not having a publisher to answer to must be nice, but whose job is it to fight feature creep and ensure the game gets put out in a good state?

Tuconots
    And yeah, not having a publisher to answer to must be nice, but whose job is it to fight feature creep and ensure the game gets put out in a good state?
    The project managers and ultimately the management of your company. Outside of the gaming industry this is a very common situation.

Tuconots
    The player PC thing is just bullshit anyway. When dogfighting the spaceship detail is wasted and technology to scale the LOD is decades old. Space sims are some of the easiest games to process because there's no world terrain.

The way they are releasing things makes content creap not as much of a problem because they release the main features as they get finished. So they released the hanger module, and will release the dog fight bit, which will just be an empty combat thing, and later they release more stuff on top of that, and just choose when they have a complete game to do the actual release.

Tuconots
    The way they are releasing things makes content creap not as much of a problem because they release the main features as they get finished. So they released the hanger module, and will release the dog fight bit, which will just be an empty combat thing, and later they release more stuff on top of that, and just choose when they have a complete game to do the actual release.
    You and Asherah make good points.

The iterative release of new modules does make it seem more attainable, and the sandbox nature of the system does make it easy to build a platform and then iterate on it.

Tuconots
    This is one of the games that really excites me. I need more gaming time!

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Draegan View Post
    This is one of the games that really excites me. I need more gaming time!
    I've kinda shifted my attention to this from eqn and other fantasy mmos simply because this is the only one i see actually worried about immersion, AND occulus rift is gonna be the cats ass, the bees sneeze. Can't wait to put it on and blow people out of the sky.

Tuconots
    the bees sneeze.

Tuconots
    I threw $40 at it for alpha/beta access. I'd have to build a new PC to give this game justice, and I wanna see if it would be worth it. Wing Commander constantly gave me erections longer than 4 hours, so I hope this game can do the same.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomedolf View Post
    I threw $40 at it for alpha/beta access. I'd have to build a new PC to give this game justice, and I wanna see if it would be worth it. Wing Commander constantly gave me erections longer than 4 hours, so I hope this game can do the same.
    playing back through heart of the tiger is hilarious on a 4in x 4in dos box window.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    I tried to get Privateer 2 running in dosbox and could never get it right. It was the only game of the whole series that I never played.

It works, but then you run into a pirate ship immediately upon leaving the station and it is absolutely impossible to kill it. I don't know if the timing is fucked up or if the game is moving too fast or what, but I couldn't even get its shield to move as it zips around on screen like a fucking Tie Advanced. (sub note: fuck Tie Advanced) For all I know it is intentional but I never managed to get past it. Google was no help.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreugen View Post
    I tried to get Privateer 2 running in dosbox and could never get it right. It was the only game of the whole series that I never played.

It works, but then you run into a pirate ship immediately upon leaving the station and it is absolutely impossible to kill it. I don't know if the timing is fucked up or if the game is moving too fast or what, but I couldn't even get its shield to move as it zips around on screen like a fucking Tie Advanced. (sub note: fuck Tie Advanced) For all I know it is intentional but I never managed to get past it. Google was no help.
    GoG.com has it for $5.99, listed compatible with Win7. Your issue sounds like a CPU clocking issue I ran into trying to run Wing Commander on a newer CPU. I think GoG builds in fixes for that. Game has 1002 reviews there.

Tuconots
    Privateer 2, isn't that the part where they steal your Steltek Cannon? Boy, but nowadays, Privateer would remind me a lot of EVE Single Player mode. Even though it's based off of wing commander.
    Quote Originally Posted by Famm View Post
    I played an Erudite, Verant made them sound like the best caster race. Being a blind broke clueless wizard in Toxx where fucking skunks could two shot your dress wearing ass was a hell of an initiation to EQ.
    Replace "wizard" with "enchanter" and you get how I felt when I started playing EQ

Tuconots
    hmm this looks interesting too!

Tuconots
    Up to 23million and they made 1.5million last week. Not sure why they got such a huge boost.

Roberts Space Industries

Tuconots
    Last week they sold a limited availability ship before the LTI offers end forever at the end of next month. There'll be a few more special sales so expect them to jump several millions before december.

Tuconots
    Thats just sick that everyone loves their ideas so much that they are giving them that much money. Hope this game is everything we all hope it is!

Tuconots
    I've been loosely following this game, but I haven't had time to look into it for a month or two. Did they ever say they would be doing OR support?

MAKE EARTH EXTINCT AGAIN! Abefroman's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Draegan View Post
    I've been loosely following this game, but I haven't had time to look into it for a month or two. Did they ever say they would be doing OR support?
    Yes. Star Citizen And The Future Of Relationship Management | Oculus Rift Blog

Tuconots
    It'd be cool to be able to have little video portraits of people when they speak over VOIP like they usually have in space sims, but I don't see how that's plausible if the person is wearing a rift?

edit: I guess they're just talking about having 3d characters reacting to player movement in the rift, so the quality of the conversation will degrade if the person is moving his head around, lol.

Poor Communication Skills bixxby's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Battle.net:Bixxby#1897 | Steam: Bixxby | Destiny / PS4: BixxbyZzz

Tuconots
    Up to 23million and they made 1.5million last week. Not sure why they got such a huge boost.

Roberts Space Industries
    25 million now. Gives us a bigger alpha, lol.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by bixxby View Post
    I was expecting Sam
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagdaddy View Post
    Think I'm about done with this thread, I think I'm being trolled at this point.

Tuconots
    I'm interested in this game only because of the first 20 seconds of their video in the "About Star Citizen" page the "I am a PC game." part in particular

Is there still chance for a Slacker Backer kind of deal?
    What's the ETA of Alpha/Beta?
    “If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth." - Joseph Goebbels

Tuconots
    Not sure what a Slacker Backer is but you can still sign up and get alpha/beta access.

I believe the cheapest option is: Digital Mercenary - Roberts Space Industries

Thread Information