Tuconots

Virtual Reality

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/18/te...l-reality.html

Spoiler: 
    A Matter of Perception

By NICK WINGFIELD
    Published: February 17, 2013

IRVINE, Calif. —

Virtual reality is one of many inventions that never seemed to make the leap from science fiction to mass-market product.

Brendan Iribe formed Oculus with Mr. Luckey and others. “When you remove that screen, there is no longer that barrier.”

Again and again, headsets that promised to immerse people in wondrous, three-dimensional worlds have bombed with the public — held back by high prices, ungainly designs and crude graphics.

But now the bonanza of cheap, high-quality components created for the mobile electronics market, coupled with some technology innovations by a Southern California start-up called Oculus VR, could bring within reach the fantasy of many a video gamer: a virtual reality headset that costs just a few hundred dollars and puts players inside games like no television set can.

Resembling an intimidating pair of ski goggles, the Oculus Rift, as the headset is called, envelopes the vision of people who wear it in vivid, three-dimensional images. The sensation is like watching an IMAX screen that never ends. A snap of the head to the left instantly shifts the perspective inside the game in the same direction.

That connection between a player’s point of view in the game and the real world makes the experience feel more natural when, say, the game character is surrounded by a group of armored knights.

The company’s design, which is about to be delivered to game developers, is already creating buzz among industry veterans and battle-scarred believers in virtual reality.

Cliff Bleszinski, a former game designer at Epic Games who led the creation of its Gears of War series, said that the first time he wore the Rift headset, “I gazed into the abyss and the abyss gazed back at me.”

“The next big thing isn’t always a brand-new technology that you never heard of,” Mr. Bleszinski said. “It’s this thing that existed 10 years ago and quietly got better.”

Despite its missteps in the consumer market, virtual reality has become commonplace for a number of industrial and military applications, where the high cost of headsets — from $1,000 to $50,000 — has been less of an impediment. Hospitals use the headsets to train surgeons, while the United States Army has used virtual reality to treat post-traumatic stress disorder, in part by exposing soldiers to short simulations of combat.

The mass market has been far more elusive, in large part because the components in the headsets were too costly.

Many of the crucial parts in the Oculus Rift are the same components found inside smartphones and tablets, including the headset’s 7-inch display and its sensors for detecting head movements. Because those parts are already being pumped out in enormous volumes in factories in China, Oculus can create a product that is likely to end up costing consumers something between $200 to $300.

“I’ve said this before, so you can’t totally trust me on this, but really, really I believe this is the time,” said Mark Bolas, an associate professor at the University of Southern California and a longtime virtual researcher who is an adviser to Oculus VR.

Elements of the Oculus headset are based on the virtual reality research by U.S.C., which has freely released headset designs for others to use.

Still, most venture capitalists would rather finance a hot-dog stand than a high-risk virtual reality start-up. Oculus instead used the crowdfunding site Kickstarter to harness the enthusiasm of virtual reality fans and to take orders so it would not produce too many headsets. It raised $2.4 million on Kickstarter and received orders for 10,000 headsets.

The first ones, which Oculus says will begin shipping next month, are still rough around the edges and are primarily aimed at game developers.

Oculus is mum on when it will ship a version for consumers, hinting that its target is next year.

If the company is successful, it will have a lot to do with Palmer Luckey, the 20-year-old founder of the company, who seems to have wandered out of a casting call for unconventional, young technology entrepreneurs. He pads around his office in bare feet, munching on cookies. He refuses a chair during a meeting, preferring to sit cross-legged on the floor.

Mr. Luckey was a home-schooled teenager living with his parents in Long Beach, Calif., when he began collecting virtual reality headsets, a habit he financed by fixing broken iPhones and Nintendo DS’s in his garage and reselling them at a profit. Mr. Luckey estimates he spent $32,000 on headsets in one year alone, about 45 of which he now has in his collection.

While he was passionate about virtual reality, Mr. Luckey realized that none of the headsets he bought offered the kind of immersive experience he wanted from the technology. He began tinkering with headset designs of his own. Last summer, he paid a visit to Mr. Bolas at U.S.C., who hired him on the spot to help out with virtual reality projects at the university’s mixed reality lab, a research group financed largely by the Defense Department.

“If there had been a perfect headset, I wouldn’t have gotten into virtual reality,” Mr. Luckey said.

Mr. Luckey’s biggest break came when he struck up an online conversation last year with John Carmack, the game programmer behind Doom and Quake. He sent a prototype of the Oculus Rift, which used Oakley ski goggle straps and was held together by silver duct tape, to Mr. Carmack, who took it to the E3 games conference and used it to demonstrate one of his games to a small group of attendees.

People who put the headset on were amazed by how the game world surrounded them. It has a 110-degree field of view, far more expansive than the 40 degrees of many virtual reality headsets.

Michael Abrash, a programmer at the game developer Valve Corporation, who is working on virtual reality and other projects there, said Mr. Carmack’s endorsement gave Mr. Luckey’s headset “instant credibility.”

“He was there at the right time and just did it,” Mr. Abrash said. “Plus he is very smart and engaging, and a very straightforward, decent guy, and that certainly doesn’t hurt.”

Brendan Iribe, a game industry veteran who formed Oculus with Mr. Luckey and others, said he was initially skeptical when a mutual friend had told him Mr. Luckey was working on virtual reality, but his perspective quickly changed after he saw how the technology made the boundaries of conventional screens melt away.

“When we play games now, we’re looking through a screen into the game world,” said Mr. Iribe, the chief executive of Oculus. “When you remove that screen, there is no longer that barrier. You’re really in the game.”

There are still big obstacles that could send Oculus Rift to the graveyard of failed virtual reality headsets.

The company has not announced commitments from game developers to create complete games that work on the headset, though Oculus said that will change at a game developer conference next month. Tim Sweeney, the founder of Epic Games, said his company was working on plans to support the headset in its games.

The headset is currently designed to work with computer games, not with the popular consoles made by the likes of Sony and Microsoft.

Oculus says existing computer games can be adapted for virtual reality without great expense. But some analysts are skeptical that consumers will be excited about buying a game headset, even if developers like it.

“There’s no real appetite to wear a peripheral,” said Michael Pachter, an analyst at Wedbush Securities.

Virtual reality headsets can also cause motion sickness in people who wear them, though the effects vary by person. Oculus is doing everything it can to reduce the latency, or delay, in its headset between head movement by players and changes in on-screen perspective, which is one cause of motion sickness.

Jaron Lanier, a virtual reality pioneer in the 1980s, said he was rooting for Oculus to succeed. “It’s what I was doing when I was that age,” he said of the company’s efforts. “I think it’s lovely. I don’t know if this will be the one that hits or not.”

i never imagined myself using something like this but i suppose they will eventually get bundled into consoles. the question for me is whether it will be a fad like 3d or the new normal?

Tuconots
    I'm really looking forward to this. I've wanted this shit forever. EPCOT has some stupid little VR amusements you could check out when I went a few times as a child. I'm curious if these products will make everyone near-sighted though. I don't really know how that works.

My issue is whether games will adopt it. Something like Skyrim would benefit enormously.

Tuconots
    We use stuff like this for some of the robotics we do. Bottom line: It's never worked better than a bunch of monitors.

Hopefully this new version deserves the press it's getting.

Tuconots
    Yea, I'm not attached to this or that product, but I've been eager to wear a headset or turn my walls into screens forever. If it doesn't actually provide a superior experience it can fuck off.

Tuconots
    I got my left eyeball shot out with a BB gun when i was a kid. I have no depth perception and cant see 3D and most VR type stuff ive tried in the past few decades. Stuff like this really makes me jealous.

Tuconots
    This is some seriously cool shit.

Tuconots
    Everyone I heard from that tried this thing at CES was really excited about it.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    I got my left eyeball shot out with a BB gun when i was a kid. I have no depth perception and cant see 3D and most VR type stuff ive tried in the past few decades. Stuff like this really makes me jealous.
    I wouldn't be too jealous. This stuff makes a good tech demo, but you can't spot the flaws in the system until you use it and once you use it you just want to go back to mouse/kb.

See: The halflife demo above. Note the short takes and the heavy autoaim.

Tuconots
    In 10-15 years the mouse/kb vs gampad debate will be mouse/kb/gamepad vs swinging your arms around like a giant retard. The kids using gamepads will be able to 360 no scope the dudes holding plastic guns and many tears will be shed.

Tuconots
    A great hands-on vid on the Oculus Rift and playing Team Fortress 2.

Tuconots
    This thing is really interesting to me especially at it's price point of 300 bucks. Gonna have to keep an eye on it and see how the community/devs adapt to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evernothing View Post
    Dwayne Hekotat Alozondo Mountain Dew Comacho
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabamf View Post
    She's done riding the dick train and you're the beta provider. Disregard your feelings; break up with her and die alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by kegkilla View Post
    let it be known that IRB is in favor of rolling cripples out onto the battlefield.

Tuconots
    It seems much more like a monitor replacement than a control replacement to me, so I imagine using it with a mouse and keyboard rather than the sort of VR stuff one of the videos showed. I think it has the potential to really be something provided that the resolution is high enough to look better than a good large monitor. I really see it as a way to move the camera controls away from being bound to the gameplay controls. This may or may not be a good thing, but it certainly pretty exciting.

Tuconots
    positional head tracking, +res seems to be the goal of their consumer version. perhaps wireless in future iterations.
    they seem interested in something like Leapmotion/razorhydra... hopefully it will be bundled in with the basic package.

ar/vr is going to become the standard and bringing with it a set of gimmicky games at first but i cannot wait for the manicured games after that (eg swordartoline/halflife3/portal3/mario-vr2).

love hearing psychological/physiological ppl's responses: a natural tendency to close their mouth when there's dust particles floating about; ducking while going into a doorframe (b/c doom wasn't designed to natural human scale); a sense of invasion of privacy when an npc is too close to them; etc

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by driedcatnip View Post
    positional head tracking, +res seems to be the goal of their consumer version. perhaps wireless in future iterations.
    they seem interested in something like Leapmotion/razorhydra... hopefully it will be bundled in with the basic package.

ar/vr is going to become the standard and bringing with it a set of gimmicky games at first but i cannot wait for the manicured games after that (eg swordartoline/halflife3/portal3/mario-vr2).

love hearing psychological/physiological ppl's responses: a natural tendency to close their mouth when there's dust particles floating about; ducking while going into a doorframe (b/c doom wasn't designed to natural human scale); a sense of invasion of privacy when an npc is too close to them; etc
    Ha, I love that last bit, and I can absolutely see that happening. Here is hoping they achieve what they set out to do, I am normally a big naysayer when it comes to things that could be considered "gimmicky" (think motion controls), but we've pretty much reached the end of what you can achieve when it comes to immersion on a 2D screen. It would take something like this to really break us out of the general monotony and this could be it, succeeding where motion sensing failed because they are generally less precise and inferior to normal controllers. This on the other hand has the potential to be BETTER than a normal monitor assuming the technology gets there. I am hopeful.

I see it being better suited for somewhat slower or more tactical games than say FPSes, which is where they seem to be now. I can imagine an empire building space sim, something like x:rebirth, with one of these babies being absolutely phenomenal. How awesome would it be to stand in the "observation bubble" of a capital ship and watching a massive space battle rage around you, pulling up tactical displays to redirect or redeploy the ships as you need to, knowing when and where by watching the glory unfold around you in real time and "real space" instead of a map screen.

There you do a lot more thinking and observing than you would do with a more fast-paced game which is a little more about fast reaction speed. The Total War games would also be a good candidate I would think. Anyhow, I am actually pretty excited about what I've seen, and that it a pretty difficult thing to do, kudos to them.

Hearthstone Champion
    Tuconots
    I imagine it being best for MMOs where there are huge worlds to be immersed in and the combat & movements are slow. The point of this device is to be immersed in a game, nothing else seems more appropriate then an entire MMO world.

Only issue I see is it could get really tiring having giant goggles strapped to my head, will probably be uncomfortable after a while - I'm the kind of person that gets annoyed with headsets after a certain amount of time.

Tuconots
    I would imagine that all the clipping that goes on in MMOs would be a pain in the ass in terms of immersion

Tuconots
    I got my email today that my Rift is shipping....and I'm out of town travelling for work all next week. FFFFUUUU. I had a VR session of Dactyl Nightmare in college in '93, which totally sucked balls, but I was a VR tech dreaming freak back then and I have been waiting for this thing for 20 years.

at work
    Tuconots
    Is this thing finally out, or is it because you backed them or whatever?

Tuconots
    Pretty sure it's the Kickstarter dev units that are shipping.

Tuconots
    I kickstarted.

Tuconots
    Finally received my dev kit. Played it 30 minutes last night, started to get seasick/nauseous. I let my wife try it, she said she was ready to hurl after about 2 minutes.

Tuconots
    Oculus VR co-founder killed by car fleeing police. Bummer.

http://m.cnet.com/news/oculus-vr-co-...g-car/57587189

Tuconots

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedor View Post
    It seems like a great fit for both parties. Apparently Carmack is still tied to id software in some manner, presumably as a consultant, but most of his time is going to be spent at Occulus.

*edit* Carmack's twitter:

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack

Tuconots
    Really looking forward to getting one of these. Another cool app for it:

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedor View Post

Pretty huge news. If anybody can figure out how to fix it so I don't feel like puking after using my Oculus Rift for 15 minutes, he can.

Tuconots
    Not sure why people are so impressed with Carmack, at least these days. He hasn't done anything particularly relevant or successful in 10+ years. Even his space venture didn't end up panning out to any significant degree. Yes he was a gaming god in the 90's, but it sure seems like he's run out of gas lately.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Eomer View Post
    Not sure why people are so impressed with Carmack, at least these days. He hasn't done anything particularly relevant or successful in 10+ years. Even his space venture didn't end up panning out to any significant degree. Yes he was a gaming god in the 90's, but it sure seems like he's run out of gas lately.
    That's the thing though, he was never really a gaming god, he was the software/coding god but he just happened to be working on the software for the first big FPS that set the scene and changed everything. If you have many hours to kill sometime get on youtube and watch some of his Quakecon keynotes, the guy knows his hardware and software. I think this position will be a great fit for his skillset.

Tuconots
    I guess we'll see. It seems like the days of individual savant programmers transforming entire industries have passed by, because it's impossible for any one person to have a handle on an entire product/game/engine/industry. Carmack himself has said it in regards to the latest gaming hardware and engines. What's important is being able to manage and work well with a large team of people specializing in different aspects of the unified whole. Given Carmack's weirdness, I don't know if that kind of role suits him.

Tuconots
    The engine that he designed and created for Rage was rather impressive, it was just sadly before it's time. The idea of scaling your visuals up and down in real time and preferring frame rate over maintaining visuals was no easy feat. It would also scale to maximize the available hardware without relying on a specific set number of worker threads to accomplish tasks, it could scale to hundreds of threads/jobs if it had to. For a first run on a way of approaching the way rendering works in games it was rather impressive, though it wasn't without it's flaws. Long term it makes more sense to follow his method as it's so scalable and keeps a game playable despite what unique circumstances are going on that might otherwise slow the game to a crawl.

The original Quake is probably one of the most impressive feats that came out of ID, it literally defined how online games work. As most major game studios through the 2000's ended up scaling up massively in terms of man power ID didn't, and because it couldn't match the amount of games coming out of other studios it fell into obscurity. This I think lead to Carmack becoming viewed as less relevant, but his insights into hardware and game engines are still incredibly astute.

Tuconots
    We just got an Oculus dev kit for a VR project at work. Shit is pretty pimp.
    If the porn isn't high res you can't get horny, but you can hate a guy at 1000 paces without a scope. That's human nature.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Heylel View Post
    We just got an Oculus dev kit for a VR project at work. Shit is pretty pimp.
    Figure out how to get EQ or WoW running on it and I will pay you money.

Tuconots
    Buddy has one, the resolution is not good enough and you can visibly see the lcd screen pixels. Other than that, it is freakin incredible.

Tuconots
    He actually acknowledges this in this years keynote. The complexity is such that one skull can't hold it all. But to say he isn't relevant because he hasn't had a successful game product is insane. Watch his keynote stuff, I was surprised at how in touch he is with more than just what he "specializes" in at iD. Also, the rocket thing wasn't a do or die for him. He also mentions this in the keynote, it was his crazy money venture. He ran out of crazy money, he decided to stay solvent so its on ice until there are more investors lined up.

Tuconots
    Hmm now all we need is google glass PoV porn and this to watch.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Srathor View Post
    Hmm now all we need is google glass PoV porn and this to watch.
    Japan to the rescue!

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2013/07/...s-rift-support

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by W4RH34D View Post
    He actually acknowledges this in this years keynote. The complexity is such that one skull can't hold it all. But to say he isn't relevant because he hasn't had a successful game product is insane. Watch his keynote stuff, I was surprised at how in touch he is with more than just what he "specializes" in at iD. Also, the rocket thing wasn't a do or die for him. He also mentions this in the keynote, it was his crazy money venture. He ran out of crazy money, he decided to stay solvent so its on ice until there are more investors lined up.
    Yeah, Carmack's fame these days has little to do with gaming, but as someone who's still a brilliant artist/software system architect. He's one of those people who doesn't get caught in a silo and is always experimenting with new methods, and gaming just happens to be a backdrop.

On topic, I got a dev kit, and frankly am surprised with how impressed I am. I just didn't expect it to work as well as it does, with my only real complaint being the low resolution, which obviously is changing.

Most the complaints of people(motion sickness) etc, are game design issues, not a fault of the tech itself. You do have to design games around the format(or at least, knowing that you'll be supporting it), since motion sickness in particular has to do with field of view, and depth perception.
    Last edited by Celestein; 08-18-2013 at 01:56 AM.

Tuconots
    Anyone who got their hands on this use a vuzix before or anything comparable?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
    Anyone who got their hands on this use a vuzix before or anything comparable?
    I have, they're not even in same category really. Occulus is trying to essentially replace your eyes, Vuzix, Google Glass, etc are meant to be more like monitors that are in your FOV. They're not "immersive" and aren't meant to be, in the same way that Occulus (tries) to be.

Tuconots
    Glad to hear that. The more I hear about the Oculus the more exited I get.

Tuconots
    I almost picked up a dev kit the other day but decided to wait until they up the resolution. I'm really interested in playing around with one.
    She's done riding the dick train and you're the beta provider. Disregard your feelings; break up with her and die alone.
    let it be known that IRB is in favor of rolling cripples out onto the battlefield.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Hekotat View Post
    I almost picked up a dev kit the other day but decided to wait until they up the resolution. I'm really interested in playing around with one.
    Most of the fans on the official forum, many of them rabid fans, would berate you for your opinion on the low resolution. As an owner and user of it I agree with you, the #1 issue for me is the low res, and #2 is the motion sickness. I am really looking forward to the 1080p model and hopefully an eventual 4k or retina display type version. We are going to need some serious graphics cards to run these things though.

Tuconots
    You won't need anything more impressive than what can run a normal high definition 3d display, right?

Tuconots
    Yeah, at 1080p, you won't need a "serious" anything to use them. That said, they still haven't even confirmed what resolution the production model will be at.

Tuconots
    Nobody knows what the specs are going to be on the consumer version but remember for you to see true 1080p in the Rift, you need 1080p per eye, because each eye is seeing it's own separate slightly different picture. They also want it to run at 60hz or higher and 60fps minimum, I think. All reasonable but I was talking more once you get into the realm of 4k displays and higher, or ideally 4k per eye. I would imagine running two 4k displays at 60hz or higher 60fps would take a lot of GPU horsepower.

Last night I tried two demos I hadn't run before. Alone in the Rift is a very simplistic horror game, you are running through the woods with a flashlight, you get to a decrepit log cabin and there is a bloody child inside. There are reaction videos of people trying it and screaming, freaking out, all kinds of stuff. It didn't do much for me but some of the sound effects were pretty creepy.

The second is called Titans of Space and was fairly mind blowing. It is a purely education astronomy lesson set to classical music. You are sitting in a pod on autopilot through our solar system, getting a view of the planets and moons, as well as a lesson in their scale when compared to our sun, as well as larger suns from other solar systems. It was the best thing I have seen yet.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by attog View Post
    Nobody knows what the specs are going to be on the consumer version but remember for you to see true 1080p in the Rift, you need 1080p per eye, because each eye is seeing it's own separate slightly different picture. They also want it to run at 60hz or higher and 60fps minimum, I think. All reasonable but I was talking more once you get into the realm of 4k displays and higher, or ideally 4k per eye. I would imagine running two 4k displays at 60hz or higher 60fps would take a lot of GPU horsepower.

Last night I tried two demos I hadn't run before. Alone in the Rift is a very simplistic horror game, you are running through the woods with a flashlight, you get to a decrepit log cabin and there is a bloody child inside. There are reaction videos of people trying it and screaming, freaking out, all kinds of stuff. It didn't do much for me but some of the sound effects were pretty creepy.

The second is called Titans of Space and was fairly mind blowing. It is a purely education astronomy lesson set to classical music. You are sitting in a pod on autopilot through our solar system, getting a view of the planets and moons, as well as a lesson in their scale when compared to our sun, as well as larger suns from other solar systems. It was the best thing I have seen yet.

That second one sounds really kickass.

Tuconots
    Saw this on my RSS feed earlier and thought it was worth sharing.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/19/o..._source=feedly

Tuconots
    I built a stand to store my Oculus hardware when not in use:

oculus+stand2.jpg

oculus+stand1.jpg

Tuconots
    That's pretty cool. I have a friend working on some top secret headset stand for me, he won't tell me wtf it is though but I'm really thinking it's going to be storm trooper related.

Tuconots
    Had a chance to try this out for a couple hours the other day, mind = blown. It was fantastic. I couldn't believe it, but when you put it on you literally are "in" the space. The dev unit had some limitations (low res), but it was shit that would obviously improve on release. The head tracking was flawless which made the experience totally immersive. I tried a lot of different demos, the most memorable of which was walking around these super high resolution 3D scans of naked people:

The experience is really hard to convey, but the feeling when you get up really close to one of the models in that demo is the most eerie feeling. Its like you have your face 3 inches from someone else in real life, you totally feel like you are invading their personal space, you really have to try it yourself to know what I mean. I couldn't believe this tech could evoke such a visceral response.

I also tried several games, the most optimized of which was HL2. Again its hard to describe, but the control scheme was a hybrid version of key board + mouse + head tracking. For the first 5 seconds it weirded me out, but after playing for 5mins I realized it was pretty amazing. I'm a pretty good FPS player but this system made me fucking amazing. All I had to do was look at people and it was insta headshot all over the place.

Anyway the videos/descriptions online don't do the experience justice, its really worth going out of your way to try it yourself if you have the chance. Like other tech popping up that sort of blends the physical and digital world I think in the long term gaming will be one of the most trivial applications, but in the short term I think its a great way to get new tech like this off the ground.

Only downside is the motion sickness issue. Out of 5 people I know who used it, 4 got pretty bad motion sickness (surprisingly I didn't have that problem, although walking in real life felt weird for a few minutes after a prolonged session with the headset). I'm not sure if the motion sickness thing is a technical problem that can be overcome, but I'm sure that's likely the primary limitations they are working on now as it was the only real deterrent to an otherwise amazing experience.

Tuconots
    Supposedly the motion sickness is something that will improve over use of the unit and will also be reduced with faster response motion-tracking and higher response/res displays. I wish they would lock down the production specs and announce a release date though. Very excited for this!

Tuconots
    I was able to try one of these yesterday, and was very impressed.

I ended up ordering a dev kit , even tho the low res display is by far its biggest flaw.
    IMHO once they fix that low res display, it will be amazing.

Hawken was fun as shit
    Last edited by Column; 10-11-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Tuconots
    That video of the 3D naked people is amazing. I would love to try this, but as someone who had to stare at the floor for 90% of the Cloverfield movie in the theater and couldn't quite even get through it on a 40" TV, I'm afraid that the motion sickness thing is going to be an issue for me.

Tuconots
    Its much more amazing in the Rift.Looks like you are standing right next to real people.

The Rift is wayyyy better then any 3D, its like you are in the game.
    Half Life 2 is just amazing.

Really it only needs HD support, the head tracking is perfect.

Motion Sickness doesnt effect me, but I can see how that can be a huge issue with people.

I'm pretty sure the Porn Industry will jump on this, so may drive the tech to get even better.
    Last edited by Column; 10-11-2013 at 04:55 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Column View Post
    Motion Sickness doesnt effect me, but I can see how that can be a huge issue with people.
    How much time have you put into one game? Motion sickness doesn't effect me either but after playing any FPS in the rift for over 30 minutes or so, nausea sets in, and it keeps getting worse the longer you play. If you have put in a few hour plus gaming sessions with the Rift and HL2 and haven't felt sick, that is amazing.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Intropy View Post
    Had a chance to try this out for a couple hours the other day, mind = blown. It was fantastic. I couldn't believe it, but when you put it on you literally are "in" the space. The dev unit had some limitations (low res), but it was shit that would obviously improve on release. The head tracking was flawless which made the experience totally immersive. I tried a lot of different demos, the most memorable of which was walking around these super high resolution 3D scans of naked people:

The experience is really hard to convey, but the feeling when you get up really close to one of the models in that demo is the most eerie feeling. Its like you have your face 3 inches from someone else in real life, you totally feel like you are invading their personal space, you really have to try it yourself to know what I mean. I couldn't believe this tech could evoke such a visceral response.

I also tried several games, the most optimized of which was HL2. Again its hard to describe, but the control scheme was a hybrid version of key board + mouse + head tracking. For the first 5 seconds it weirded me out, but after playing for 5mins I realized it was pretty amazing. I'm a pretty good FPS player but this system made me fucking amazing. All I had to do was look at people and it was insta headshot all over the place.

Anyway the videos/descriptions online don't do the experience justice, its really worth going out of your way to try it yourself if you have the chance. Like other tech popping up that sort of blends the physical and digital world I think in the long term gaming will be one of the most trivial applications, but in the short term I think its a great way to get new tech like this off the ground.

Only downside is the motion sickness issue. Out of 5 people I know who used it, 4 got pretty bad motion sickness (surprisingly I didn't have that problem, although walking in real life felt weird for a few minutes after a prolonged session with the headset). I'm not sure if the motion sickness thing is a technical problem that can be overcome, but I'm sure that's likely the primary limitations they are working on now as it was the only real deterrent to an otherwise amazing experience.
    Really glad to hear someone I know is a progamer give a good review on it. I'm pretty excited about the rift but I'm afraid that after playing it it will get too cumbersome and not worth it for typical play sessions.

Tuconots
    How much time have you put into one game? Motion sickness doesn't effect me either but after playing any FPS in the rift for over 30 minutes or so, nausea sets in, and it keeps getting worse the longer you play. If you have put in a few hour plus gaming sessions with the Rift and HL2 and haven't felt sick, that is amazing.
    I've never gotten air/car/sea sick in my life, but for some reason shaky cam gets me every time. I got sick in both Cloverfield and the Blair Witch Project and occasionally playing games like Half Life.

"AH HA HA HA HA HA" Barraco Bisi's Avatar
    Tuconots
    The only time I've ever gotten motion sickness was playing guitar hero. The moving fretboard burned itself into my vision like one of those optical illusions. I'd look away and I could still see that moving fretboard.

Tuconots
    I bought one after it was demoed for us.

I'm actually playing through the HL2 campaign right now, so maybe 2 hours continuous just today. Only thing I feel when I take off the headset is a little disorientation for maybe a minute.
    No motion sickness in game tho.

The only thing that seems weird is when HL2 stops for a second to load its next level, and the head tracking pauses. If I look around during that i'm like Woooah.
    Last edited by Column; 10-12-2013 at 12:23 AM.

Tuconots
    Really glad to hear someone I know is a progamer give a good review on it. I'm pretty excited about the rift but I'm afraid that after playing it it will get too cumbersome and not worth it for typical play sessions.
    It's not really cumbersome at all. It's about annoying as wearing 3D glasses in a movie if you are not used to wearing glasses.

It be nice if it had wireless, but doesn't seem to be a problem. I never feel the cord.

This is hard to explain, but like a weird sci fi novel you get addicted to being in the rift. You kind of want to be playing all your games in the Rift because of how immersive it is.
    Something you got to demo for yourself.

One other note is, the Rift doesn't perform like I thought it would. I imagine it turning when my head turned, which not only would be slow as shit compared to a mouse/kb, but would cause head fatigue.

The KB/mouse, gamepad still works the same. You still move at superhuman speeds. It just allows you to look around all the time, and the objects seem real especially when you get right on top of them.
    It's the way 3d should be imho.
    Last edited by Column; 10-12-2013 at 12:36 AM.

Tuconots
    Any glasses wearers try out the dev kit of the Rift? I'm curious how the experience went for people who wear glasses.

Tuconots
    So after a couple days with this I now know why Carmack joined the Oculus team.

Played through Half Life 2, and I have never played a game that felt that real. I wish I had the HD beta display, and it would work with the newer games.
    Just picked up Strike Suit Zero, which is pretty much a Xwing versus Tie fighter, and it puts you right into a massive space fight.

Also Demoed a movie that was filmed in 360, so when you are in the rift you are pretty much inside of whatever space that filmed.
    It's pretty shocking.

I can see so many possibilities for this in the future when our infrastructure gets better, and battery life on electronics last a very long time.

Imagine a super light weight 360 camera that someone was broadcasting as they walk around. You could pretty much possess there body with this type of VR, and
    Gaming will be out of this world.

At first I thought it was a gimmick, but now I see how obsolete TVs are now.
    A game like Beyond Two Souls would have been insane on the rift.

I'm not sure how they will combat motion sickness for everyone, tho. The out of body thing will always be tough to deal with.
    Maybe people will come up with designer drugs for users to stay in the Rift longer.

It sounds like Sci Fi, but this shit is starting now.
    If you have a good computer, I highly suggest getting a Rift. Even if you have to buy another one when the HD comes out its still worth it.
    Last edited by Column; 10-13-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by McFly View Post
    Any glasses wearers try out the dev kit of the Rift? I'm curious how the experience went for people who wear glasses.
    They have different lenses for people with glasses.

Most of the people posting videos on youtube almost all have glasses, so should be fine.

"AH HA HA HA HA HA" Barraco Bisi's Avatar
    Tuconots
    It would be cool if Google maps redid their street views with video so you could walk through their maps with oculus. They'd have to remove all moving objects though.

Tuconots
    Google maps has oculus support right now, but yeah videos would be amazing.

http://oculusstreetview.eu.pn/?lat=4...alse&heading=0
    Last edited by Column; 10-13-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Tuconots
    This is really good buzz. I am looking forward to buying this, hope it comes out soon.

Would an mmo work in rift?

Tuconots
    Its possible to play any game in the rift right now.

The current MMO's wouldnt be very good tho with that type of experience.
    They would have to be more streamlined like a FPS to be any fun in VR. Definitely possible, just would need a new way to play MMOs.

I know 2nd Life has full Rift support right now, but haven't tried it.

One thing I think is outdated thinking on the current Rift, is the way we view the screen. It's very immersive, but there is got to be a way to do it better.
    Currently its a set of lenses looking at a screen.These guys are trying something diffrent.

After being in the rift for a couple of days, I am now in full support of VR. So I'm looking to fund any of these projects.
    The way we view entertainment is outdated.
    Last edited by Column; 10-14-2013 at 09:11 AM.

Tuconots
    stuff like this amaze and scare me at the same time. Amaze for the obvious reasons. Scares me because we already have ppl killing their children to play a mmo. I can see a new psychiatric syndrome developing from stuff like this

Tuconots
    I, for one, welcome our new VR overlords.

Tuconots
    Its possible to play any game in the rift right now.

The current MMO's wouldnt be very good tho with that type of experience.
    They would have to be more streamlined like a FPS to be any fun in VR. Definitely possible, just would need a new way to play MMOs.

I know 2nd Life has full Rift support right now, but haven't tried it.

One thing I think is outdated thinking on the current Rift, is the way we view the screen. It's very immersive, but there is got to be a way to do it better.
    Currently its a set of lenses looking at a screen.These guys are trying something diffrent.

After being in the rift for a couple of days, I am now in full support of VR. So I'm looking to fund any of these projects.
    The way we view entertainment is outdated.
    This is pretty cool. They're targeting movies though and I think this particular device has a fov of 44deg.

Tuconots
    Column are you actually playing games with your rift? Or just trying it out / developing for it.?

Tuconots
    I'm playing games on it.

Tuconots
    Would you recommend getting one of the rifts floating around on ebay, or wait for a newer model?

Tuconots
    Depends, I don't think hey a definitive launch date for the HD version, and the demo unit still has problems.

So may be another year before we see it out in the public.

If you want the best experience you can possibly have then I would wait for the launch version, if you just want to see how good VR is now then I would get there prototype.
    I would just make sure whoever you buy it from Ebay sends you pictures of both the LCD screen in the unit, and all the lenses to check for heavy scratching.

Also If you even think you suffer from any type of motion sickness this will not be something to invest in till they solve some of those issues.

Tuconots
    If anyone is considering developing for the Oculus.

I'll make a suggestion, don't waist your time making games for it.

What I would do is make a universal application that works with a wide array of first person games. An app that at launch can calibrate your IPD then write that to a config file, can auto adjust drift, and is tested on many popular games by in house personnel.

There are currently 3 applications that are trying to do this, but they are all very poorly designed.

For the Buinsenss market I would find the number one app that building planners use to show clients new buildings then adjust the Oculus to work with it.

Tuconots
    Oculus will have a 4k version as of today

http://allthingsd.com/20131017/oculu...play-ceo-says/

Tuconots

It said eventually, I'd be super happy if it launches with one but it didn't sound like that was going to be the case :/

Tuconots

Exactly how much resolution/ppi do you need for perfect clarity on a display that size that's right in your face? The perfect pixel density or whatever. Is 4k overkill or not nearly enough?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Exactly how much resolution/ppi do you need for perfect clarity on a display that size that's right in your face? The perfect pixel density or whatever. Is 4k overkill or not nearly enough?
    Nobody has seen a 4k yet but my guess is it will look great but still won't be perfect clarity. I think 4k per eye might do it though. This thing is RTFU in your face, like half an inch between the lense cups and my eyeballs so those pixels are HUGE.

Column I like your idea of the real estate walk through software. Capitalize on that and get rich man. Also if you haven't tried it yet, get the Titans of Space demo. It isn't a game but it is one of the best experiences on the Rift.

Tuconots
    I would be satisfied if they would just release the HD version.
    The pixels dont bother me as much as not being able to see distance objects in focus.

But, yeah the limit of the tech is that you are essentially looking at a screen through a magnifying glass. So unless like Attog mentioned they move to both screens being 4k you will always see some pixelation.

Everyone is a Dev in Austin, so was talking to some people yesterday of some interesting uses of this Technology.

Imagine if the infrastructure was cheap enough, and the battery life was way better we could have portable 360 cameras on lightweight headset much like google glass.

At that point you could jump into someones head, and see everything from there point of view while also being able to talk to them. I term it possession.
    Since you dont need them to turn there head to see everything, you could essentially see everything around them including behind them.
    It would be much like remote desktop we have now, but instead of remoting into a computer you are remoting into a person

At that point there is allot of applications for this, everything from having trainers work with clients without being onsite. To admins working with field agents ,and guiding them through whatever they need.

In the entertainment market, you could attach the same low weight device to say a famous wide receivers helmet, and allow people to jump into there point of view on the field.
    Or even have professional event goers stream there point of view from famous events say the olympics etc.

Lots of options with stuff like this, and the tech is available now.

Tuconots

Nobody has seen a 4k yet but my guess is it will look great but still won't be perfect clarity. I think 4k per eye might do it though. This thing is RTFU in your face, like half an inch between the lense cups and my eyeballs so those pixels are HUGE.

Column I like your idea of the real estate walk through software. Capitalize on that and get rich man. Also if you haven't tried it yet, get the Titans of Space demo. It isn't a game but it is one of the best experiences on the Rift.
    Yeah, even a 1080p phone display is super sharp at very close range. 4k per eye would be pretty unbelievable.

Tuconots
    Attending docs and specialists in other parts of the country/world use remote imaging into surgery rooms all the damn time to direct the surgeon or to better diagnose patients. This could up their game to a whole new level.

Tuconots
    A question to anyone who's used it... What is most impressive/immersive about it? The image itself and how its displayed in 3d, or the motion tracking with being able to look around a scene? Or maybe both combined?

I was curious how it would be to play a FPS without all the head tracking, just using this as a '3d monitor' headset. Maybe I'm wrong, but the split image stream comes from your computer. Its not split and processed at the headset. So you could theoretically make your own display with a tablet/phone app and a pair of lenses, using the Rift video stream? I would think the lenses would be the hardest part to DIY, but I'm sure you could rip them from something else.

Prototype...
    diy_virtual_reality_goggles_2.jpg

Tuconots
    The impressive part is that it actually replaces your entire field of vision for both eyes, aside from the giant pixels it doesn't feel like you are looking at a screen at all. This combined with lag free head tracking makes it basically the same experience as looking around a room in real life.

Tuconots
    I'm sort of interested in doing some dev work for this, but I need to do more research. I really want to get one

Tuconots
    I'm a little concerned they know what there business model is right now.

They confirmed a 2nd dev kit yesterday based off the android OS.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/18/o...ack-interview/

Tuconots
    So do you move by moving your head and body? What about MKB? How does this work with an FPS?

Tuconots
    Right now there's just rotational tracking (as in, rotating your head left/right, up/down, tilting it etc). There's no positional tracking which prevents you from being able to walk around in it (This also causes some equilibrium issues with people).

But the truth is that once they get positional tracking in it'll be up to the developers to determine how it works. There's nothing preventing a developer from disabling the head tracking and only using a controller input.

Tuconots
    Oh and the 4k stuff is good news but isn't really surprising. To answer Sean's question it won't be retina level quality but I think it'll be good enough that people won't clamor for more. Honestly if I had a 60hz 1080 hmd and had to chose between a 4k or 120hz upgrade I'd take the 120hz. When the screen is that close to you movement from large objects can be very disorienting which is why mirrors edge can be rough to play with the rift.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the demand for visual quality increases dramatically when the screen encompasses your fov so much and even when more pixels are added. It makes no sense to increase the pixels when your machine can't produce a solid 60fps for them.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    Dammit. All of this talk is making me really want to try this stuff out.

Tuconots
    Tuco do you have a rift?

I'm pretty happy with the current dev kit, I would easly spend another 300 for any upgrade.
    Last edited by Column; 10-21-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Tuconots
    Tuco do you have a rift?

I'm pretty happy with the current dev kit, I would easly spend another 300 for any upgrade.
    Nah. But I'm going to get an HD version when it comes out. I have some ideas of how to integrate it with some of the mobile robotics I do and I think it's the future of gaming.

Tuconots
    Nah. But I'm going to get an HD version when it comes out. I have some ideas of how to integrate it with some of the mobile robotics I do and I think it's the future of gaming.
    Sounds cool. What do you do?

Tuconots
    Future of gaming? This little thing is the future of porn. It's going to be crazy.
    Noodleface#1412 - <Rerolled> US-Hyjal Horde - Noodleface

Follow me on Twitch! - Streaming Rerolled minivan dad raids Friday nights 9PM EST and Saturday mornings 11AM EST!

Tuconots
    I would be satisfied if they would just release the HD version.
    The pixels dont bother me as much as not being able to see distance objects in focus.

But, yeah the limit of the tech is that you are essentially looking at a screen through a magnifying glass. So unless like Attog mentioned they move to both screens being 4k you will always see some pixelation.

Everyone is a Dev in Austin, so was talking to some people yesterday of some interesting uses of this Technology.

Imagine if the infrastructure was cheap enough, and the battery life was way better we could have portable 360 cameras on lightweight headset much like google glass.

At that point you could jump into someones head, and see everything from there point of view while also being able to talk to them. I term it possession.
    Since you dont need them to turn there head to see everything, you could essentially see everything around them including behind them.
    It would be much like remote desktop we have now, but instead of remoting into a computer you are remoting into a person

At that point there is allot of applications for this, everything from having trainers work with clients without being onsite. To admins working with field agents ,and guiding them through whatever they need.

In the entertainment market, you could attach the same low weight device to say a famous wide receivers helmet, and allow people to jump into there point of view on the field.
    Or even have professional event goers stream there point of view from famous events say the olympics etc.

strange-days.jpg

Tuconots
    Strange Days
    We can only hope!

Tuconots
    Who's willing to offer a bounty on the first Tranny banged with it on?

Tuconots
    strange days
    this brings an interesting question: would you jump on the change to experience lesbian sex in a shower ?

Tuconots

Shakey Cam X 1000? I predict near instant projectile vomiting.

Thread Information