Page 1 of 91 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Destiny - bungies new game

Tuconots

Destiny - bungies new game

Didn't see a thread so put this up here, looks to be pretty ambitious, spanning 10 years.. wanting 40+ hours of game play.

Tuconots
    http://m.digitaltrends.com/gaming/bu...box-exclusive/

Bungie’s lead network engineer David Aldridge described the game as “WoW in space.”
    :/

Tuconots
    Burned too many times to be optimistic, despite the pretty art direction.

Spoiler: 
    Last edited by Binkles; 02-18-2013 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Apparently I can't spell

Tuconots
    I respect Bungie as a company. I didn't play Halo after #3, so I don't know if they got terrible or not, but I enjoyed those more than most people here might claim to. I thought they brought a level of refinement to FPS's that was nonexistent in consoles at the time. I look forward to seeing what they've got.

Tuconots
    They plan to keep the game going for 10+ years, so PC ? I mean next gen consoles could easily last 10 years, but why limit yourself ?

Big words, shame there was nothing concrete.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagdaddy View Post
    Think I'm about done with this thread, I think I'm being trolled at this point.

Registered Vombatus Ursinus Wombat's Avatar
    Tuconots
    It sounds like the announcement was so dull because Sony got them to pull gameplay so they could reveal it at their big meeting on Wednesday.

However, I wouldn't get your hopes up: I think that's for the PS3 version. I don't think there's a PS4 version until 2015.

Getting a major Gregory Benford's Great Sky River vibe from the setup. Not a sentence I ever thought I would write.

Tuconots
    It sounds fucking awesome, I'm trying to not get my hopes up but holy shit.

Tuconots
    Apparently the only confirmed platforms so far are 360 and PS3, with PC not being out of the question. I guess you could play 360 vs PS3, but PC players need to be separated because m+kb stomps gamepad users.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagdaddy View Post
    Think I'm about done with this thread, I think I'm being trolled at this point.

Tuconots
    WoW in space.

Wont be released on PC.

Shit game.

Tuconots
    You know if they made this game sort of an MMO/FPS game it could be epic. You have the central city where its server based, and all avatars can wander the city with shops, AH's and such for different weapons and armor. Different Clan Halls, Guild Halls, and job recruitment stations. With the storyline you can play single, or Id say up to 4 player co-op. After you play the campaign is when the city becomes accessible and you can find groups for other random missions. Full character customizations with rare armors and weapons. The different jobs you can take would be like Halo 4's Spartan Ops. Throw in some Firefight from Halo 3 as defend type missions with rewards similar to Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. Future expansions are new area's taken back as you fight back against the alien threat. Like a jungle area, desert area and so forth.

As you grow in power so do the enemies get more powerful. Mowing down waves and waves of easier infantry who you struggled against at first and then fighting what used to be bosses earlier on but are now mid level enemies as you fight stronger bad guys. Viewing you more as a threat as you claim back more of your world.

Maybe even throw in some form of organized Clan play where clans can que up for competitions and such. 16 vs 16 payer clan fights in arena's.

Tuconots
    Sounds cool, especially without a subscription model.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Prime View Post
    You know if they made this game sort of an MMO/FPS game it could be epic. You have the central city where its server based, and all avatars can wander the city with shops, AH's and such for different weapons and armor. Different Clan Halls, Guild Halls, and job recruitment stations. With the storyline you can play single, or Id say up to 4 player co-op. After you play the campaign is when the city becomes accessible and you can find groups for other random missions. Full character customizations with rare armors and weapons. The different jobs you can take would be like Halo 4's Spartan Ops. Throw in some Firefight from Halo 3 as defend type missions with rewards similar to Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. Future expansions are new area's taken back as you fight back against the alien threat. Like a jungle area, desert area and so forth.

As you grow in power so do the enemies get more powerful. Mowing down waves and waves of easier infantry who you struggled against at first and then fighting what used to be bosses earlier on but are now mid level enemies as you fight stronger bad guys. Viewing you more as a threat as you claim back more of your world.

Maybe even throw in some form of organized Clan play where clans can que up for competitions and such. 16 vs 16 payer clan fights in arena's.
    So....basically Borderlands: Online?

Tuconots
    That video was lol worthy for sure. They spent 4 minutes masturbating to the fact that they're bungie, and then that little guy at the end talking about how "nothing can top halo" with that little smile..

Tuconots
    There was absolutely nothing that wowed me about this reveal. Not the environment, not the grand designs that's going to "change gaming forever". All I see is a FPS MMO that has a companion mobile app, maybe?

Good luck Bungie, you'll need it.

Tuconots
    For the life of me, I don't understand why the evil aliens just don't nuke the city.

Tuconots
    So this looked awesome at E3. It's shaping up to be something special IMO. I love how in depth the lore seems.

Tuconots
    Not on PC? lolwut? y u do dis

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by buffylol View Post
    Not on PC? lolwut? y u do dis
    They said they still might.

Tuconots
    Last edited by Sean; 04-28-2014 at 02:20 AM.

Where's my money Leo?
    Tuconots
    Game looks gorgeous and that 60fps HTML5 video they use on the site is really nice as well. Too bad I can't get into FPS shooters, would love to see this universe played out in a more story driven 3rd person type game like Mass Effect.

Tuconots
    you can preorder on amazon the physical version and you will get a beta key within 2 days (wont get charged until game ships). i did that, will try the beta to see if I like it. I'm not a huge FPS guy either (i fucking HATED killzone) but I played bf4 and titanfall each for around 100 hours before I got too bored to keep going, that seems like a pretty good $/hour ratio.

Tuconots
    MMOFPS have all sucked and spending a half billion dollars on artists isn't going to change that.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    WoW in space.

Wont be released on PC.

Shit game.
    this

Tuconots
    Real shame this won't be on pc. Huge missed opportunity.

Tuconots
    Yea, PC vs Console MMO Borderlands gameplay would be pretty sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chysamere View Post
    I truly believe a) Queues won't be a problem and b) It will be the best

Tuconots
    Last edited by Sean; 04-28-2014 at 02:33 AM.

Tuconots
    I hope this sucks because I don't want to buy a console.
    Calling me a Cunt is a lot like calling Hitler a Nazi, it's not exactly received as the insult you were intending.

Star Citizen referral code - [STAR-C3G4-2XMJ]

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Mist View Post
    I hope this sucks because I don't want to buy a console.
    Its essentially a borderlands formula, its not going to fail sir!
    Forsakyn 100 Rogue
    League of Legends Meta Source

Xbox, PSN, Steam, Origin - Xexx01

Tuconots
    Its looks all right, but I would have rather Bungie do another competitive game again.
    Quote Originally Posted by suineg View Post
    That is how First Blood was drawn though. Do we want John Rambo roaming through the forest of our forums killing the police?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Column View Post
    Its looks all right, but I would have rather Bungie do another competitive game again.
    /trollface

Tuconots
    Or at least new devs adopt their Halo ranking system. Every new FPS that comes out adopts that all reward no risk ranking.
    That is how First Blood was drawn though. Do we want John Rambo roaming through the forest of our forums killing the police?

Tuconots
    Forsakyn 100 Rogue

Tuconots

My nigga Broyles!
    Forsakyn 100 Rogue

Tuconots
    This game gives me boners

Tuconots
    I just Chromecasted that on my TV and holy shit. Preordered back when they announced the game, but I'm definitely anticipating the beta now. Bring it on!

I do think they should setup a bunch of PC servers as the market for it has to be there to make it worthwhile. That said, I really suck at PC FPS, so I'll pick it up on the console.

Tuconots
    It only comes out for consoles so you don't have a choice. Seems like a shitty move to be honest.
    Even Boderlands was on the PC

Tuconots
    one of the dudes behind halo hates pc gaming i think, what a fagola. anyways i'll try the beta on ps4, if its fun i'll buy it as long as there are no monthly subs or dumbass cash shop things.

like i said you can preorder on amazon for ps4/xbox and you'll get a beta code within 2 days, still have months to cancel your pre-order if the game sucks and won't get charged

Where's my money Leo?
    Tuconots
    Nuh uh. Initially they had a PC version listed on the Destiny site but took it down. They have yet to outright categorically deny that it is not coming to the PC yet, so there is hope for the master race.

Why Bungies Destiny is not coming to PC, at least not right away - GameSpot

Apparently having to release the game on four different platforms means that their priorities are with the consoles (fucking last gen).

Banned
    Tuconots
    I'm looking forward to all the port begging that's bound to take place.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixtilplix View Post
    Nuh uh. Initially they had a PC version listed on the Destiny site but took it down. They have yet to outright categorically deny that it is not coming to the PC yet, so there is hope for the master race.

Why Bungies Destiny is not coming to PC, at least not right away - GameSpot

Apparently having to release the game on four different platforms means that their priorities are with the consoles (fucking last gen).
    lol you still buy that bullshit in this day and age?

Tuconots
    Pre-Ordering this for myself for my birthday tomorrow.

Fuck the nay-sayers, this shit looks awesome.

Tuconots
    What nay sayers lol. People just want it on the PC.

Tuconots
    They are leaving a lot of money on the table by not porting this to PC. Its unfortunate we don't get to judge the games combat system with both a controller and a mouse and keyboard setup. I'd buy it if it was on PC, but not a console.
    Because we only stand for being owned and used for profit by our own. Rererolled.org

Banned
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandain View Post
    They are leaving a lot of money on the table by not porting this to PC. Its unfortunate we don't get to judge the games combat system with both a controller and a mouse and keyboard setup. I'd buy it if it was on PC, but not a console.
    Your logic is inconsistent. If they were leaving a lot of money on the table, they would have ported it to PC. Whatever they gain by porting it clearly isn't worth the effort (balancing it for mouse and keyboard, massive amounts of online back-end, QA, marketing, whatever else), otherwise they would have done it. At least, it isn't worth it compared to having a last gen version and getting a foothold in the current gen.

Tuconots
    So Kotick revealed last week and since confirmed with Reuters that the total development and marketing budget for Destiny is ~$500 million. This really does seem like a ludicrous budget for a new ip especially given the rather lukewarm reception their media day received.

Have we entered into the era of the AAAA aka 4A title? Unless they have lots of microtransactions planned they will need to move 12-15 million copies just to break even.

Tuconots
    There's no way it won't be on PC eventually if they're spending this much money. Online games can last 10 years on the PC, and they know it.

There's also the fact that they need to sell 15 million copies, and the installed base of PC users dwarfs all the consoles combined.
    Calling me a Cunt is a lot like calling Hitler a Nazi, it's not exactly received as the insult you were intending.

Star Citizen referral code - [STAR-C3G4-2XMJ]

Tuconots
    That number is a bit misleading. $500m is what they "intend to spend", and they envision the franchise lasting at least 10 years. So yeah, $500m on a studio over 10 years is pretty normal especially if they pump out a new version of destiny every 2-3 years and season pass/DLCs/etc every few months.

I sorta hope the beta this summer is disappointing, I would cancel my PS4 preorder and wait for the game on PC. Fuck em for not treating master race as the gods we are!

I wonder how Titanfall ended up doing on its platforms, especially how PC did vs xbone and 360. I am pretty much assuming Destiny is gonna be like Titanfall, where its a fun game but after 50-100 hours you don't feel like playing anymore.

edit: if you have preordered use these loot codes to get free shit in game
    Destiny Loot Codes : PS4
    Last edited by spronk; 05-06-2014 at 01:58 PM.

Tuconots
    They made no indication that was for 10 years, in fact their own PR people seem to indicate that is the marketing and development budget for the singular Destiny title to be released later this year.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Qhue View Post
    They made no indication that was for 10 years, in fact their own PR people seem to indicate that is the marketing and development budget for the singular Destiny title to be released later this year.
    If they have spent as much on one game as Peter Jackson has on the Hobbit movies (or 200 million more than the first three LOTR movies) then they are crazy.

Tuconots
    That was the entire theme of the interview they did... that it is a truly insane budget for any game and a BIG gamble on a new ip. They intend nothing less than for it to be their next major franchise and pull in Skylanders/WoW type of annual business.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Qhue View Post
    There is an article you an read somewhere - i saw it earlier but its for everything over 10 years so it kinda breaks down to 50m a year including advertising etc.
    Forsakyn 100 Rogue

Tuconots
    Activision's $500 Million Bet On 'Destiny' Is Far From A Sure Thing - Forbes

People are guessing that it includes the budget for 10 years of sequels, but there is no proof either way.

Tuconots
    It's still a 10 year publishing deal between Activision and Bungie.
    Forsakyn 100 Rogue

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Mist View Post
    There's no way it won't be on PC eventually if they're spending this much money. Online games can last 10 years on the PC, and they know it.

There's also the fact that they need to sell 15 million copies, and the installed base of PC users dwarfs all the consoles combined.
    They don't want the game to last 10 years. They want that shit to die after a year so you'll run out and buy one of the sequels. They have a 10 year plan involving multiple sequels. The first game will be released on last gen consoles, it was never meant to last, they'll drop it as soon as they can to move more resources to Destiny 2.

We'll get a PC version of one of the later sequels, once the last gen support is dropped and they've milked everything they can from yearly console releases.

Tuconots
    Destiny is an MMO type game - not exactly the type to have a yearly sequel - but yearly expansions are possible like every other MMO does already - also its last and current gen systems.
    Forsakyn 100 Rogue

Tuconots
    i posted it on the e3 thread too but in case you missed it, destiny is going to be available for a few people on ps4 in alpha this weekend. sign up for a chance here:
    http://playstation.greatnessawaits.com/destiny.html

i think it says you need PS+. If you attended the E3 Sony movie theater presentation this week, redeem the code ASAP as you will be e-mailed a Destiny alpha code tomorrow (and a BF Hardline beta code next week and a $5 PSN voucher week after).

Destiny will go in full beta July 17th (?) or so for all pre-orders, can preorder from amazon, get a code, and cancel your preorder up until it ships.

No PC version unfortunately, ps4/xbox one

Tuconots
    Redeem this code on PS4:
    633H-4KN2-6RK9

Tuconots
    nm no longer works
    Forsakyn 100 Rogue

Tuconots
    9J7C-A4NC-7JEF

Tuconots
    Oh dope - thanks
    Forsakyn 100 Rogue

Tuconots
    Gah, just missed it. Need another one pls ;p

Tuconots
    MHPP-B8NF-CNCG

Tuconots
    Meh. Either someone beats me by seconds each time, or those are not usable on the eu ps store.

Tuconots
    Hmmmm...yeah you might need a US PSN account? or redeem it on the US psn store? You'd need to get the US version of it for this phase.

Tuconots
    Downloading, my body is ready.
    Forsakyn 100 Rogue

Tuconots
    Anyone got another code?

Tuconots
    You a dev with Bungie or something zarcath? And I'd love one too if able via PM though, I'm slow on board reading today with so much E3 stuff to watch.

MAKE EARTH EXTINCT AGAIN! Abefroman's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Would also love a code. I thought everyone on ps4 was getting them for some reason.

Tuconots
    P2MM-EDN2-9EM9

Tuconots
    Bleh, not gonna be fast enough to grab a code. Damn whipper snappers.

Tuconots
    Meh, I was too slow also.

Tuconots
    Crap code giveaway? if someone gets an extra PM me one =P I'll have your turd babies.

Tuconots
    is this a separate closed alpha? its up and im on so was wondering.
    Forsakyn 100 Rogue

Tuconots
    The codes i'm passing out are good for immediate play. Rest of the public will get in on thursday or something and goes until the weekend.

5TRJ-27N2-C86B

Tuconots
    Code taken, thanks Zar

Tuconots
    I'd like one

Tuconots
    Its pretty tight so far - I got stuck on terrain somehow at one point but otherwise its smooth.
    Forsakyn 100 Rogue

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by X X E X X View Post
    Its pretty tight so far - I got stuck on terrain somehow at one point but otherwise its smooth.
    Can try to hook up (it's MP for the Alpha, right?) tomorrow - so close to finishing a plat that I can't justify taking a break from it rather than knocking out the last couple hours that'll start hitting my bedtime, heh.

Tuconots
    I swear if it wasn't for this community I would never get into these betas and stuff. Cheers to all you generous peeps.

Tuconots
    Well balls. Turns out my Destiny pre-order code has already been used. Going to have to hit up Amazon to get them to send me another.
    MWS Natural "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving black people approaches 1."

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaclav View Post
    Can try to hook up (it's MP for the Alpha, right?) tomorrow - so close to finishing a plat that I can't justify taking a break from it rather than knocking out the last couple hours that'll start hitting my bedtime, heh.
    Im almost l6 and im happy to run into ??? mobs sometimes and die randomly bc im not careful - makes me have higher hopes for this.
    Forsakyn 100 Rogue

Tuconots
    Good to hear it's got a challenge level to it - I'm actually opting to stay up a bit to play it, finished the Plat for Bound by Flame and just made my char.

Pleasantly surprised by the character creation options - was expecting it to be minimal and it's quite fleshed out. (Won't say more since I didn't read the NDA completely so I'm not sure if elaborating is on the list of no-no's)

Tuconots
    Hoping to get out of the office in the next hour or so and get home to start the download but figured I'd ask here since you're already in...how's the movement?

One of the things a few people on my feeds keep going on about from the E3 footage is "It looks like Borderlands 2 with bad movement" but I'm just not seeing it. It seems from other comments that they all disliked Halo movement as well so it's possible they're just coming from not liking the Bungie style

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Knytestorme View Post
    Hoping to get out of the office in the next hour or so and get home to start the download but figured I'd ask here since you're already in...how's the movement?

One of the things a few people on my feeds keep going on about from the E3 footage is "It looks like Borderlands 2 with bad movement" but I'm just not seeing it. It seems from other comments that they all disliked Halo movement as well so it's possible they're just coming from not liking the Bungie style
    Jumping is a little odd - rest seems just like BL.

Tuconots
    I think im going to stop soon - hit 6 and i know if i dont know i will keep going till sun up - its amazingly easy to die - but i can also just suck - both are possible.
    Forsakyn 100 Rogue

Tuconots
    Any more codes floating around? Would love one. Send me a pm. Ill suck Dicks for it if I have to

Tuconots
    What exactly is open in this alpha? Seems just three locations and crucible?
    Forsakyn 100 Rogue

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by X X E X X View Post
    What exactly is open in this alpha? Seems just three locations and crucible?
    Tower is available too don't forget - and it appears to me from the "grey icons" that there's another few that are there to be unlocked - but then again, they might not be unlockable yet. (There's another two "Story Zone" icons in grey and another grey icon that doesn't connect to anything else mention for the Skywatch area on my map - note: playing the Warlock class if that matters for available areas)

And Crucible apparently has 6 modes, only one available to me currently though as well.

Tuconots
    I hit max level(alpha) then suddenly things got hard lol - mobs came out the woodworks - or maybe its just where i was. Overall very good experience - i plan to do strikes when they have more people around to queue up - even tho im max level i plan to keep mucking around a bit.

Im not all quite sure we can say here regarding the alpha, but could easily see myself playing this 4-6 hours a day without noticing how much time has gone by.
    Last edited by X X E X X; 06-11-2014 at 05:33 PM.
    Forsakyn 100 Rogue

Tuconots
    XXexx, this have potential to beat Diablo 3?! Need something new, since I'm burned out farming gears that won't ever drop.

Love you long time for alpha codes oh God's of alpha keys.

Tuconots
    The alpha is PS4 only right?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Talenvor View Post
    The alpha is PS4 only right?
    Yes - and even for the non-alpha timeframes have been quoted as PS4 first.

Tuconots
    Ok thanks Vaclav.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Crone View Post
    XXexx, this have potential to beat Diablo 3?! Need something new, since I'm burned out farming gears that won't ever drop.

Love you long time for alpha codes oh God's of alpha keys.
    Honestly its a better, broader borderlands with some pretty impressive visuals(ps4), and ability to run quest, strike missions, and random encounters like that of GW2. It has a pvp area you can go to also to duke it out but i doubt they will have enough people possible till tomorrow when alpha goes live.
    Forsakyn 100 Rogue

Tuconots
    Same XXEXX, if the content level is there (say BL2 sized) this is going to be massive for me from everything I've seen so far.

Giving wife the opportunity to try this morning (Getting the Destiny bundle regardless for our copy of the game so she'll have the white PS4 since I'm getting at least my own copy).

BTW XXEXX, don't have a corded mouse ATM to test with, but it appears from the control schemata that KBM is enabled for Destiny on the PS4 to me, you tested it?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaclav View Post
    Same XXEXX, if the content level is there (say BL2 sized) this is going to be massive for me from everything I've seen so far.

Giving wife the opportunity to try this morning (Getting the Destiny bundle regardless for our copy of the game so she'll have the white PS4 since I'm getting at least my own copy).

BTW XXEXX, don't have a corded mouse ATM to test with, but it appears from the control schemata that KBM is enabled for Destiny on the PS4 to me, you tested it?
    Will check later, have been nabbed away from ps4 for now.
    Forsakyn 100 Rogue

Tuconots
    i never liked borderlands (i know im crazy) so i hope destiny isn't like it, still haven't gotten alpha keys from the Sony E3 movie thing yet

Tuconots
    So I would like to get in on this. Special codes only? Or is the Alpha available for anyone with a PS4 tomorrow?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnayan View Post
    So I would like to get in on this. Special codes only? Or is the Alpha available for anyone with a PS4 tomorrow?
    Special codes today - tomorrow starts ones that have been handed out in theatres and they're supposed to email people that signed up tonight for it as well. (Although if it's 100% or not they've not stated)

Tuconots
    special codes only either from the dev who is nicely giving codes in this thread or from E3 badges or from getting lucky and getting one by registering here
    http://playstation.greatnessawaits.com/destiny.html

this alpha lasts only till the 15th (sunday)

july 17th it will be opened to more (all?) PS4 users, you may need to preorder and get a beta key though for it. can pre-order from amazon and get a free key without getting charged until ship

Thread Information