Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WarCraft - The Movie

Tuconots

WarCraft - The Movie

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ce-code-416956

Duncan Jones just signed on to direct. They're aiming to start filming in the fall of 2013 with a 2015 release.

Spoiler: 
    Duncan Jones is making the jump to big-budget tentpole movies, signing on to direct Warcraft, Legendary Pictures’ live-action adaptation of Blizzard Entertainment’s video game universe.

Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni are producing for Legendary along with Blizzard and Atlas Entertainment’s Charles Roven and Alex Gartner.

Taking an almost kitchen-sink approach to fantasy, Warcraft, which has grown to be one of the most popular multiplayer online role-playing games out there, is part fantasy, part science fiction and — depending on the game you’re playing — includes elements such as dragons and orcs, zombies and werewolves, and aliens and spaceships.

Legendary is keeping its script, written by Charles Leavitt, under wraps. The Warner Bros.-based production and finance outfit is eyeing a fall 2013 start and a 2015 release.

Jones’ producing partner, Stuart Fenegan, will executive produce while Chris Metzen will co-produce for Blizzard.

Warcraft is a big jump up in terms of scope and scale for Jones, the filmmaker son of David Bowie known for his thoughtful sci-fi work.

Jones (CAA, Independent Talent Group, Bloom Hergott) made his feature debut writing and directing 2009's Moon, the well-regarded low-key indie sci-fi drama that starred Sam Rockwell and cost around $1 million to make. He followed that up with Source Code, Summit’s 2011 time travel thriller that starred Jake Gyllenhaal and cost around $35 million to make. Warcraft is expected to have a budget north of $100 million.

Roven most recently produced The Dark Knight Rises and is a producer on Man of Steel, both of which involved Legendary. Atlas is in pre-production on David O. Russell’s follow-up to Silver Linings Playbook, an untitled project that will star Bale, Bradley Cooper, Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner. Production begins this March.

Legendary is prepping for the July 12 release of Guillermo del Toro’s monsters vs. mechas tentpole Pacific Rim.

Tuconots
    I guess the closest we ever come to an eq movie is The New Guy.

Tuconots
    Gonna be terrible. This might have been a good idea 6 years ago when everyone was addicted to WoW, I doubt a whole lot of people care now.
    " I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"

Tuconots
    With a budget of 100 million Im thinking it wont be any good. Granted they could do alot with that, but it wouldnt be as epic as people would envision it to be.

Fighter of the Nightman Furious's Avatar
    Tuconots
    About 6 years late if it was released today.

Tuconots
    They missed that gravy train by a few years. I stopped keeping up with the news on this years ago, but I'm assuming they did a complete rewrite since the Raimi days. The whole ''Non-canon badass dude completely from an Alliance perspective'' sounded really boring.

Any feature film with Chris "What's IP?" Metzen getting a producer nod is going to be fucking cringe-worthy.
    Last edited by Zaara; 01-31-2013 at 05:03 AM.

Tuconots
    I feel like they waited until sub numbers started to peak and fall to give this the thumbs. You'd just be wasting money making it when everyone was playing, now they can get in another 2-3 million subs after its release by offering some bullshit "ZOMG FREE IMAX MOUNT WITH TICKET STUB CODE" bonus that will lure old folks back and new kids in.

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures Royal's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Looks like they're trying to revamp the old adage "Strike while the iron is hot" into "Hit the iron for more heat". Ghostcrawler must somehow be involved.

Tuconots
    I have more want to play that point and click thrall adventure game than see this movie or be a panda.

Poor Communication Skills bixxby's Avatar
    Tuconots
    It won't be a proper warcraft movie unless Chris Metzen plays every character.

Tuconots
    Sad to see Duncan Jones working on this. From his movies, he has a lot of potential as a director. This is just a waste of his fucking time.

Tuconots
    Cant wait for the movie based game

Tuconots
    100 million could be enough if they are smart with their budget. Hellboy 2 was well under 100 mil and it looked great/had lots of fantasy elements.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by xadion View Post
    I have more want to play that point and click thrall adventure game than see this movie or be a panda.
    This.

Tuconots
    FFS, you don't have to play a panda in MoP. I never understood why that is some type of deal breaker. Were you molested by a panda as a child?

Tuconots
    i hope they use the line BY THRALLS BALLS

Tuconots
    I would say Michael Clark Duncan would make a good Thrall, but I just remembered he died.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeldar View Post
    I would say Michael Clark Duncan would make a good Thrall, but I just remembered he died.
    Too bad there isnt a guy like that one guy from The Green Mile that could bring people back to life.

Tuconots
    They just need to make Warcraft 1 into a movie. Job Done.

Instead they will do some kind of World of Warcraft "we have to show everyone's characters!" bullshit, or something totally unreleated to the source material like the D&D or Final Fantasy movies.

Tuconots
    The main hero should be Leroy Jenkins.

Banned
    Tuconots
    Who would play the kung fu panda, Jackie Chan?

Tuconots
    Jack Black, duh.

Tuconots
    is this cgi or live action?
    CAUTION: THIS BOARD IS MODERATED BY ISIS SYMPATHIZERS
    Quote Originally Posted by chaos View Post
    No one is any worse than anyone else, we're all just pushing our own agendas. Even ISIS

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Inquisitor Kegkilla View Post
    is this cgi or live action?
    It's live action.

And for those who say they won't watch this movie because it missed its peak popularity, you're full of shit. I quit WOW over 5 years ago and I'm still going to see this, if only for the curiosity factor. It might not be as popular as it once was, but I'm betting it will still draw in the curious viewers.

Tuconots
    I'll download it. Activision stole my $60 with Diablo 3, time to recoup some of the cost.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Soysauceonrice View Post
    It's live action.

And for those who say they won't watch this movie because it missed its peak popularity, you're full of shit. I quit WOW over 5 years ago and I'm still going to see this, if only for the curiosity factor. It might not be as popular as it once was, but I'm betting it will still draw in the curious viewers.
    lol

this will be right up there with the dragonball movie and the mario brothers movie.
    No one is any worse than anyone else, we're all just pushing our own agendas. Even ISIS

Banned
    Tuconots
    This movie needs some Van Damme

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    They just need to make Warcraft 3 into a movie. Job Done.
    There we go.

Tuconots
    lol

this will be right up there with the dragonball movie and the mario brothers movie.
    The Mario Brothers movie was awesome man ;P

Banned
    Tuconots
    lol

Tuconots
    lol

INFRACT THIS MAN

In the Panhandle waiting for death by Tornado.
    Tuconots
    Why live action? It is going to be so terrible. It's from a fucking video game, animation is totally acceptable

Tuconots
    Animation isn't a slam dunk. 3D animation is pretty damned expensive and the animated PG-13+ market has a poor track history at best in the theaters. Plus, if the movie didn't meet the high standards set by the CGI films that Blizzard puts out, then people would think it was too cheap.

I mean if it looks like this, ya sure 3d animation feature length film would be 100% badass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVbeoSPqRs4

Tuconots
    yawn

Tuconots
    Live action fantasy has an even worse record than animation. I wasn't trying to say that animation would be a slam dunkjust that live action is almost guaranteed to be awful.
    Last edited by Chanur; 02-01-2013 at 05:56 AM.

Like a bull's walt... Nostrovia's Avatar
    Tuconots
    With the success of the LOTR movies, a live action Warcraft could be just as, if not more successful than that. The decline in interest in WoW doesn't mean shit really. People are still very much into the lore and story of Warcraft.
    It has potential to be an epic movie... It can also just be another Dungeons and Dragons movie.
    "Sorry I tried to spit roast your mom."

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Chanur View Post
    Live action fantasy has an even worse record than animation. I wasn't trying to say that animation would be a slam dunkjust that live action is almost guaranteed to be awful.
    The last time a game studio fames for its cgi cutscenes made an animated film it a) was terrible and b) bankrupted the studio. Meanwhile live-action fantasy has never been more popular or profitable.

In short, you're dumb.

Rav Scam-Free Zone
    Tuconots
    Final Fantasy?

Tuconots
    they already did a cg version of WoW. it was in a south park episode and it was fucking hilarious. when i saw that episode i was still on and off playing WoW and it was cool seeing a character models i had played or played with. what am i going to get from a live action version? dunno about anyone else but i personally got no fear or worry ever playing WoW. my usual day was logging in talking to friends. mining for a while and m,aybe whupping some ass in a battleground, then joining a PuG and then selling at AH and repairing armor at the end of the night. no town or zone in WoW gave me any feelings like i got from EQ. well cept that area where stitches walked up the road at night. i loved that place. eq had scary and slick places upper and low Guk, Mistmoore castle, Sol a and b, Qeynos and quite a few others. much better lore and NPCs that acted batshit insane. /OOC 'holy fuck, Sgt Slate to EC tunnel get out!'

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Soysauceonrice View Post
    It's live action.

I quit WoW like 4-5 years ago, and I don't necessarily bear the game any ill will. But I have no interest in seeing this. I might download it just because my wife might want to see it, that is about as interested as I can see myself getting.

And as I said, I'm even a fan of the director. The subject matter just isn't interesting to me anymore. Maybe when we start seeing trailers/info it will change my mind.

Tuconots
    If it was a 2hour long "Blizzard cinematic" i would be so hype but live-action? Meh...

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by OneofOne View Post
    Final Fantasy?
    Ya. Square basically created an entire division in Hawaii for the production of the movie (and other CG). While the graphics were amazing at the time, the movie flopped (it having almost nothing to do with Final Fantasy games at the time didn't help) and Square never recouped the investment costs for the division + movie.

Tuconots
    It flopped partly because it had a stupid as shit anime story.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Itzena View Post
    The last time a game studio fames for its cgi cutscenes made an animated film it a) was terrible and b) bankrupted the studio. Meanwhile live-action fantasy has never been more popular or profitable.

In short, you're dumb.
    Maybe write a movie that doesn't have a terrible fucking story you slack jawed simpleton.

Tuconots
    Good luck with that. Blizzard's storytelling pretty much dies right around the time your balls drop.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Maester Chuk View Post
    they already did a cg version of WoW. it was in a south park episode...
    Serious?

Banned
    Tuconots

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybsled View Post
    Ya. Square basically created an entire division in Hawaii for the production of the movie (and other CG). While the graphics were amazing at the time, the movie flopped (it having almost nothing to do with Final Fantasy games at the time didn't help) and Square never recouped the investment costs for the division + movie.
    they built the shit from the ground up, from 0's and 1's to what it is- Sony bailed them out and thats why for years you had Main # FF games on PSX only- and hey that engine is still cranking out some nice FMVs for sqeenix games! the story was fine, it needed another half hour to flesh some things out and the city distruction was way rushed... I like to mix this movie and Blue Gender together into something awesome ;-)

Tuconots
    I don't see this ending well.

Tuconots
    Like other have said, it could be another LotR or another Dungeons and Dragons. I think it all depends on how much freedom Jones will have.

Tuconots
    It's a video game movie, so another D&D.

Tuconots
    Maaaan. I really loved Moon. Hate seeing Bowie's son attached to this. Directors change all the time though. Maybe he'll have a "wait. what the fuck is this" moment.

Tuconots
    Rolf at all the retards saying this could be on the level of LotR.

Tuconots
    Yeah there's no way that happens, especially post-WoW/TFT. before WoW the Warcraft story was half decent, it stayed fairly coherent, took an original spin on some old fantasy standards and had some cool characters, but in the process of making the setting suitable for an MMO, with the right number of factions and playable races and class combinations and what not, they totally fucked that up, and it only got worse with each expansion (starting with TBC's lorelol). I can't imagine how they'd make a decent movie in the present of the setting, they'd either have to set it further back in time or retcon/just plain ignore a whole lot of shit.
    " I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"

Tuconots
    If they had the movie take place between the first and second Warcraft or way in the past pre-first WarCraft then it could have potential. The story went to absolute shit after TBC.

Tuconots
    Seriously would a revamped Warcraft 1 story not introduce the core concepts nicely?

It's Orcs+Ogres v Humans. But you can introduce some pre Alliance Elves+Dwarves+Gnomes fighting with the Humans, a troll ambush cameo and more Draenai and Demons as a reveal for what is driving the Orcs at some point and sow Draenor/Dark Portal. Have Lothar be the main Character perhaps.

Then you do Warcraft 2 to fully establish the Alliance and have some more Dragons and Demons sidestory. Then a compressed and heavily edited Warcraft 3+TFT maybe in 2 movies, first Arthas PoV and second Jaina PoV?

Tuconots
    lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Tuconots
    This movie better be filled with leet speak and tea bagging.

*Orc Kills Human* NOOOOB!!! *Teabag*

Tuconots
    Can't be worse than Wing Commander...

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
    Can't be worse than Wing Commander...
    So like a Wing Commander without Freddy Prince Jr or Matthew Lillard?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    It's a video game movie, so another D&D.
    are you saying this is a bad thing? marlon wayans was awesome as "generic annoying thief"

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Flunklesnarkin View Post
    This movie better be filled with leet speak and tea bagging.

*Orc Kills Human* NOOOOB!!! *Teabag*
    kek

Tuconots
    I can see them releasing a game/expansion to try and drum up interest before the movie lands.

Tuconots
    It's Blizzard, remember? At best it'll launch six months after the film premières.

Tuconots
    Oh shit, I forgot the Warcraft movie was even a thing... remember when it was coming out in like 2008?

They should just get crazy and inhouse it with their amazing CGI team. If they started doing that like 5 years ago it could have been done by now.

Tuconots
    Duncan Jones to direct Warcraft pic

Legendary Pictures confirmed during its morning panel at Comic-Con that Brit Duncan Jones (Moon, Source Code) will helm the big-budget epic based on the popular game World Of Warcraft. Release is set for 2015.
    Last edited by kidgamer; 07-21-2013 at 12:14 AM.

Tuconots
    Warcraft: The Spirits Within
    an understated ensemble that puts the "b" in subtle

Tuconots
    Considering the writing in blizzard stories, it wouldn't be too hard to make a decent-ish movie. Just go with like the fall of Arthas, it has all the components for a good movie, good looking manly main role, old mentor, sexy but powerful female character and lots of action. Also a nice ending to lead into a second movie if it makes a lot of money. I'd say making a decent Warcraft movie would be actually quite easy as long as you can fund the special effects so it doesn't look cheesy as shit. But eh, it's hollywood, considering the track record for video games or anime adaptations, don't have much hope.

Tuconots
    Yeah the human campaign from warcraft 3 would make a decent movie.

Tuconots
    Here's a picture from the new WoW movie.

I guess it's going to be animated.

Tuconots
    You fucking with us man? That's from WC3. He's holding a shield of Lordaeron, which is currently occupied by the Forsaken.

Tuconots
    I wouldn't mind seeing Grom kill Mannoroth on the big screen.

User
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybsled View Post
    The main hero should be Leroy Jenkins.
    Lulz.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinrad View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing Grom kill Mannoroth on the big screen.
    Yeah basically ignore WC1, WC2 and WoW, just take whichever part of WC3 you prefer and do that. I think the human part is probably the best in terms of making a "movie for everyone" though, NE(Illidan/Furion shit with the love story with what's her name etc) and Orc stories(Thrall uprising and shit like that) are good too but easier for people to identify to the humans obviously. Iirc Undead WC3 was just the continuation of the human story so that makes a good 2nd movie. Could do a fragmented story which uses all the stories but might be confusing to follow for people who don't know WC3, would make a lot more sense and shit though, kinda like LoTR movies.

But as I said adapting WC3 story should be fairly easy because it's built like a movie scenario to begin with. It has all the basic components so all you have to do is cast decent actors for the roles and spend your money on good CG stuff and don't try to shoe in too much cheesy shit like a lovestory that doesn't exist. But there's already love stories and strong female characters so you don't have much work to do here anyway.

Tuconots
    they showed a 6 min concept idea at comic con, basically a human fucking around in hellfire peninsula and then fighting an orc (an army of orcs is behind him). it was live action not animated, but the director explained it wasn't really footage from the final movie as they haven't started filming yet, just early proof of concept type stuff. Recordings weren't allowed so dunno when/if we'll see what was shown leak.

Tuconots
    I've long thought that the wow universe could be a source of a more humorous fantasy series of movies and possibly a tv show. In fact, if you started with WC1 and did the whole story say up to the LK's death, you could get a serious 7 year show out of it if you did a bit of skipping around. GoT production values+ would be needed because of the copious amounts of magic though.

Tuconots
    Really have to wonder why they're going with live action instead of animated. Even if they do it at WoW vanilla intro quality it would still look awesome and allow them to do shit they'd never "afford" for a live action movie.

Tuconots
    Whoever made that site needs to be shot in the dong. That shits god awful to attempt to read

Tuconots
    i would not get my hopes up, you can almost guarantee they will throw stupid shit like leroy jenkins in the movie... hell, i would not be shocked if he was a main char in the movie

Tuconots
    Leeroy Jenkins is one of the few things that kind of made the crossover into the consciousness of regular folks. I have cousins who never played WoW who will occasionally make Leeroy Jenkins jokes. The power of viral videos ;P

Tuconots
    The Rock should be Thrall

Tuconots
    I have as much hope for this being good as I do for a Dredd sequel.

Tuconots
    This would have been a good idea like... 3 years ago. Today, when the game is on a slow decline? Probably not so much!

That said, WC3 (maybe not Frozen Throne so much) had a solid story. The easiest way to tell it would be from Jaina's viewpoint, so that you can have this stalwart and powerful paladin friend+love angle that gets turned to ashes and a vengeance/survival story after it. And yeah, live action seems like a turrible idea when you already have such solid CGI groundwork already laid.

Tuconots
    I think they've mentioned that it's going to take place before wc3. Possibly wc1/2 era. I think their plan is to focus a little more on the characters that are important but haven't seen much story time so far. Lothar and turalyon type characters

Tuconots
    if this doesn't have Matthew Lillard in it this won't be a good movie. matthew-lillard-1-753878.jpg

Tuconots
    He could be the everyman that helps the audience relate, right until the moment he gets impaled by Frostmourne and thrown off a mountain.
    Battle.net:Bixxby#1897 | Steam: Bixxby | Destiny / PS4: BixxbyZzz

Tuconots
    This movie's success will be directly proportional to the number of Wayans brothers in it.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Lodi View Post
    if this doesn't have Matthew Lillard in it this won't be a good movie. matthew-lillard-1-753878.jpg
    Absolutely. He would be a perfect fit for arch-mage Khadgar.

Khadgar_in_Shattrath.jpg khadgar-warcraft-ii-soundboard-617317-l-124x124.png

Tuconots
    i want my fucking everquest movie! stop with the carebear pretender game adaptions!

Tuconots
    I think there is enough room out there to make a indie movie about professional poopsocking keyboard warriors.

Tuconots
    This is going to be as bad as that D&D movie

Tuconots
    At this rate the movie could be the final cutscene for WoW that reboots the whole thing for WoW 2.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Maester Chuk View Post
    i want my fucking everquest movie! stop with the carebear pretender game adaptions!
    Time to slay the dragon!

Tuconots
    This is seriously one of the worst movie concepts I've ever heard of.

Tuconots
    Just... film... Warcraft 1...

Jesus Christ it sets the whole thing up, make it a trilogy with Warcraft 2 and Beyond the Dark Portal. Add in a few modern lore snippets (more demonlords, maybe young Arthas & Varian cameos). Job done, this isn't hard.

Instead I expect that they are trying to showhorn in everyone's playable character, since the single piece of concept art was fucking Darnassus (which has no place in this film) then this is going to be the worst movie ever.

Tuconots
    The time for this movie to come out has passed.

Tuconots
    They should just pay the creators of South Park to make a movie that continues the saga from the old episode.
    Kaige#1128 - Battle.net
    Kaige - Steam

Apprentice Developer
    Tuconots
    The second I see a fucking panda the movie will be fucking stupid in my eyes.

Tuconots
    Post on Facebook:

Quote Originally Posted by World of Warcraft on Facebook
    We’re pleased to announce that Legendary Pictures’ WARCRAFT will be released by Universal Studios Entertainment on December 18, 2015.

Thread Information