Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Marvel Universe stuff

Tuconots

Marvel Universe stuff

Just a catchall thread for Marvel U stuff, not meant to replace individual movie threads. More speculation stuff than specific stuff I guess.

Marvel’s Kevin Feige confirms that Edgar Wright’s Ant-Man will begin Marvel Movie Universe Phase 3 & that Doctor Strange maybe in the Pipeline

So Edgar Wright showed a test reel proof of concept thing he did for Ant Man, to show what they could do with the size changing in action, at E3. I haven't looked for it since the summer, but universal reviews say it was pretty bad ass. Guy turns tiny and runs up the barrel of a gun and shit. Marvel said we'd see this eventually, you can see an artistic viewer's storyboard for it now. And if the movie is following the "Irredeemable Ant-Man" story like I think it's supposed to it should be pretty great.

I love the scope of what Marvel is doing. Making this whole universe a reality is absolutely insane. They're making everything acceptable within this world they've built and audiences are accepting it. No pulling punches like Fox with the X-Men movies, where they pussed out on Phoenix being alien or Juggernaut's powers being mystical. It leads to some silly stuff like the "Tesseract" just being this random MacGuffin that does...stuff...sometimes, but it also means we can have Thor and the entire Norse mythology and they can do a Doctor Strange movie without making excuses. Magic is just a thing that can happen in this giant universe they're making.

I guess the Phase 2, Phase 3 etc stuff is what all leads up to each Avengers movie? Or whatever united Universe movies they might be later down the line I guess. The upcoming Iron Man/Thor/Cap movies will be Phase 2.
    Last edited by Grimmlokk; 01-29-2013 at 09:41 AM.

infraction teflon Merkins4Brazil's Avatar
    Tuconots
    please dont cast anyone horrible

Last edited by Merkins4Brazil; 01-29-2013 at 10:28 AM.

Tuconots
    As for the Phase approach to releaseing movies that Marvel has set forth...

The big three Marvel teams in my limited comics knowledge is FF4, X-Men, and Avengers. Unfortunately for Marvel, the first two are out of their hands. It's always going to be a nagging "what if". What if Marvel had their act together and could produce these movies from the get go 15 years ago and not have to rely on other studios and partners (X-Men, Spider-man, FF4)? Not only would you have continuity within those movies but you could set up something humongous like the Infinity Gauntlet or Secret Wars.

As much as I liked the First Class and how excited I am that they are bridging the next X-Men movie with the cast from the first trilogy, it's still a bit hollow to me, because I know they can never be incorporated into the current Marvel movies without the studios agreeing to play nice. Such a shame.

Tuconots
    Fantastic Four 4? Or is FF4 comic book nerd shorthand?

Tuconots
    As much as Doctor Strange has been a long time favorite, it probably almost works better as like a TV series* or its own little thing than as a major part of the Marvel Universe. It just opens the door to too much wierdness.

*A cool, subtle supernatural show with him helping out people with supernatural problems, just a guy in a trenchcoat with a few tricks out of a manhattan flat may be neat. Only every once in a while do you save budget up for a two episode "ultra magic fight!" or "travel to another plane of crazyness" or somthing.

Tuconots
    While I'm all for the same thing, they did that show already (albeit in Chicago). It was called The Dresden Files.

Tuconots
    The magic in Doc Strange is heavy duty acid trip visuals, dunno how well that would translate to TV / Film without becoming tie-dyed vomit, and if they toned it way down to seem more 'real' it would turn into Dresden. Doc Strange just seems like a hard one to translate from paper to the screen. I could see his origin story making a decent film, but how would they follow it up?

Tuconots
    He could easily become the portal to thanos, as the one with the power to get through space in a split second.

First you cameo him as a surgeon who in assignment of shield performs massive surgery on Thor, who has been in a fight with enchantress. He figures out he can't save him the "normal" way and that is where he reveals himself as the sorcerer supreme.

This way you already established magic with enchantress, wich would only work in a thor movie, and you give dr. Strange a small part in an established superhero series. Then move to a stand alone movie,wich starts off after the tor surgery where he tells nick fury and a round table of avengers on who he is and how he became sorcerer supreme. It only takes some minor canon changes, and you slowly usher in the magic and sorcery.

My guess who would play him, someone who is in his early 40's sophisticated and reserved but with a strong ego, not as big as starks though.looks wise, Jon hamm? Joseph fiennes?

Cristoph waltz would be possible, if he could lose the accent he could definitely sell it though.

Make America's Team great again Hoss's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinrad View Post
    Fantastic Four 4? Or is FF4 comic book nerd shorthand?

That makes more sense. I saw that and read Final Fantasy 4

Tuconots
    Comic book geek shorthand is FF or F4

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlokk View Post
    Just a catchall thread for Marvel U stuff, not meant to replace individual movie threads. More speculation stuff than specific stuff I guess.

Marvel’s Kevin Feige confirms that Edgar Wright’s Ant-Man will begin Marvel Movie Universe Phase 3 & that Doctor Strange maybe in the Pipeline

So Edgar Wright showed a test reel proof of concept thing he did for Ant Man, to show what they could do with the size changing in action, at E3. I haven't looked for it since the summer, but universal reviews say it was pretty bad ass. Guy turns tiny and runs up the barrel of a gun and shit. Marvel said we'd see this eventually, you can see an artistic viewer's storyboard for it now. And if the movie is following the "Irredeemable Ant-Man" story like I think it's supposed to it should be pretty great.

I love the scope of what Marvel is doing. Making this whole universe a reality is absolutely insane. They're making everything acceptable within this world they've built and audiences are accepting it. No pulling punches like Fox with the X-Men movies, where they pussed out on Phoenix being alien or Juggernaut's powers being mystical. It leads to some silly stuff like the "Tesseract" just being this random MacGuffin that does...stuff...sometimes, but it also means we can have Thor and the entire Norse mythology and they can do a Doctor Strange movie without making excuses. Magic is just a thing that can happen in this giant universe they're making.

I guess the Phase 2, Phase 3 etc stuff is what all leads up to each Avengers movie? Or whatever united Universe movies they might be later down the line I guess. The upcoming Iron Man/Thor/Cap movies will be Phase 2.
    meh

It would seem as if Marvel is scraping the bottom of the barrel with phase three. I don't find Ant Man or Dr Strange to exciting, I never have.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Sceleris View Post
    My guess who would play him, someone who is in his early 40's sophisticated and reserved but with a strong ego, not as big as starks though.looks wise, Jon hamm? Joseph fiennes?

Cristoph waltz would be possible, if he could lose the accent he could definitely sell it though.
    Seeing as how I fit all of those qualifications, I would be happy to play Dr. Strange.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyrical View Post
    meh

It would seem as if Marvel is scraping the bottom of the barrel with phase three. I don't find Ant Man or Dr Strange to exciting, I never have.
    Well, in the case of Ant-Man it's not so much that you love the character, especially if it's not Hank Pym and they do go with the Irredeemable stolen suit SHIELD grunt story. It's more that it's Edgar Wright making it and he's excited enough about the idea that he spent his own money to make a little teaser to show how it could work. My excitement is almost entirely based on his involvement.

Tuconots
    Well, in the case of Ant-Man it's not so much that you love the character, especially if it's not Hank Pym and they do go with the Irredeemable stolen suit SHIELD grunt story. It's more that it's Edgar Wright making it and he's excited enough about the idea that he spent his own money to make a little teaser to show how it could work. My excitement is almost entirely based on his involvement.
    Give this fucker a +nets. Edgar Wright is one of my favorite directors. He did a good job with Spaced and Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead were the fucking bitchtits. I even liked Scott Pilgrim very much and I could give two shits about the story or characters. Edgar's vision is what made that movie watchable. Given his passion for the Ant-Man project and his directorial abilities, this is one of the rare cases where I'll go into a movie knowing I'll like it.
    Also, there was an Ant-Man comic a couple of years ago, I only read it in passing, so forgive the generalities, but the guy was a low-level SHIELD agent who found the helmet and used it for all sorts of shitty, selfish purposes. Spying on the SHEILD ladies' room, trying to steal money and eventually banging his recently-dead best friend's grieving girlfriend, that sort of thing. It was pretty good.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by pysek View Post
    Also, there was an Ant-Man comic a couple of years ago, I only read it in passing, so forgive the generalities, but the guy was a low-level SHIELD agent who found the helmet and used it for all sorts of shitty, selfish purposes. Spying on the SHEILD ladies' room, trying to steal money and eventually banging his recently-dead best friend's grieving girlfriend, that sort of thing. It was pretty good.
    That would be the Irredeemable Ant-Man I was referring to.

Spoiler: 

He did eventually actually help people, but man what a shitbag to start. Which is what makes him good for a movie.

Tuconots
    So you did, apologies. Another thing I'm looking forward to is some of the B and C listers getting decent lower-budget movies under the Marvel banner. And perhaps among them, in a far-flung future I can only dream about, maybe Gambit will be redeemed from the stillbirth that was his appearance in Wolverine: Origins.

Tuconots
    So you did, apologies. Another thing I'm looking forward to is some of the B and C listers getting decent lower-budget movies under the Marvel banner. And perhaps among them, in a far-flung future I can only dream about, maybe Gambit will be redeemed from the stillbirth that was his appearance in Wolverine: Origins.
    Gambit is still Fox so seems kind of unlikely.

Tuconots
    Plus Gambit is gay.

Tuconots
    Gambit was never that interesting anyway.

Tuconots
    Plus Gambit is gay.
    Grimmlokk speaks the truth.

If I could instantly make a great movie for a lesser-known Marvel character (assuming Deadpool is out of the question for whatever reason), it would probably be Beta Ray Bill. Yes, I am one of the few that liked him. Obviously a movie would be too tied into the Thor stuff, but showing him on his home planet, before his modifications, blowing shit up with his intelligent ship (Scuttlebutt I think it was called?), then taking up the power of Thor and getting his own hammer...could be pretty cool if done perfectly. Tons of CGI though to make him look good, and I sincerely doubt anyone but the biggest comic nerds would give a fuck about him or his plight because he looks sort of like a humanoid horse. And he has a stupid name.

If I wanted it to succeed, I'd do Cloak and Dagger. Do it right and even chicks would eat that shit up. And I always liked them, so I'd be happy seeing it done right.

Tuconots
    There were rumors of a Cloak and Dagger movie at one point a few years back but nothing ever came from it.

For another smaller character I think could make a cool movie I wouldn't hate a Jamie Madrox/Multiple Man movie. Just because I think they could do some cool stuff with him, and there was a pretty cool series of him a couple years back on his own(mostly). With modern CGI it'd be like, Multiplicity with badass action. Or it might suck....I dunno.

Tuconots
    If they are gonna do the lilliputian end of Marvel I wish they woulda done The Micronauts instead. Probably the only toy based Comic that was worth a shit, it had a pretty a great story once it got rolling. Bug was an awesome overlooked character.

Tuconots
    Oh man, Micronauts were awesome. I even owned most of them before they got all out of hand. I had Baron Karza and Prince Oberon I believe were their names, and they could change into centaurs. Acroyear was another of my favorites, because he pretty much just wrecked shit.

Rom the Space Knight wouldn't be bad if they modernized the suits a little. I remember one of the annuals (that I own somewhere) they brought in a bunch of his Space Knight buddies that looked way cooler than he did. Was a cool storyline, even if based on toys.

Tuconots
    I remember reading the full Rom run fairly recently actually, it was pretty solid in concept and had some real depth and darkness to it as well.

I'd really like to see Marvel put out a good girl character "for girls" either for TV or movies or whatever. It'd be nice to see female heros that are more than boobs or sex kittens.

Rav Scam-Free Zone
    Tuconots
    A year and a half ago there was news of JJ Abrams doing a Micronauts movie with the writers of Zombieland but... that was the last anyone heard of it, far as I can tell.

Still, with all the characters under Marvel's umbrella you guys are talking about the Micronauts and Beta Ray Bill. It's like some meta-joke I don't get.

Tuconots
    i'd love to see a Heroes for Hire movie... though, that might be a better fit for TV with an episodic nature

Tuconots
    I doubt you will ever see a Rom movie. I think Marvel let the rights expire to it and Parker Brothers has full control over it.

Tuconots
    Micronauts? Rom? Beta Ray Bill? As movies? You guys can not honestly believe any of these would ever get a real live action movie or TV show dedicated to them.

Of course, I could have said the same thing a few years ago about Ant-Man. All it takes is one good modern run to make a character seem viable. There's some amazing writers out there now, more and more you're seeing these nothing characters get great reviewed runs.

Tuconots
    Micronauts? Rom? Beta Ray Bill? As movies? You guys can not honestly believe any of these would ever get a real live action movie or TV show dedicated to them.

Of course, I could have said the same thing a few years ago about Ant-Man. All it takes is one good modern run to make a character seem viable. There's some amazing writers out there now, more and more you're seeing these nothing characters get great reviewed runs.
    Personally I am amazed any super hero movies / tv ever gets made. I grew up in the age that every comic property that was attempted was so fucking bad mountains of coke had to be involved to get those projects green lit.

one exception ... hot ass Linda Carter as Wonder Woman

Tuconots
    What I'm itching to see is more comic writers getting a shot at screenplays for their characters. A Bendis Spider-Man film or Ennis writing a real Punisher movie. These guys know the characters inside and out would be much more efficient in writing revealing character moments that blend well with a large overarching story. I'm kind of surprised it hasn't taken off already; screenplays and comic scripts are not far apart.

Tuconots
    Can we just make this a movie already please.

Like a bull's walt... Nostrovia's Avatar
    Tuconots
    They need to hurry up and release this god damn movie.

deadpool-fake-movie-poster-1.jpg
    "Sorry I tried to spit roast your mom."

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostrovia View Post
    They need to hurry up and release this god damn movie.
    No fucking kidding. Who has the Deadpool license anyways? I hope Marvel has it after that abomination that happened in Wolverine Origins.

Tuconots
    Captain Marvel rumors for next.

Would fit really well. Ties to Avengers, GotG.
    Marvel itself trying to push her.

and yeah, hints are for Carol.

Tuconots
    They could use another strong female character, so Carol Danvers as either Ms. Marvel or Captain Marvel makes an excellent choice I think.

Tuconots

No, I know that none of those would ever get anything made about them, and that's why I made a point of saying something like lesser known or minor characters. It would be too easy to name off big characters I'd like to see, because for the most part all of us would want to see them, and they have a better chance of being made. If I say I'm really wanting a Power Man & Iron Fist movie, that's too easy.

But Guardians of the Galaxy is a perfect example of something I'd have never figured would get made into a blockbuster movie, same with Ant-Man, so who knows where they might go next? And to be honest, Micronauts probably isn't a terrible idea if the company is looking to revitalize their brand like Transformers did.

EDIT: And I'm fully behind a Carol Danvers movie. Rather that than a She-Hulk, for example.

Tuconots
    umm was there not a cloak and dagger mini-series in like the early 1980's.. or am i just thinking of something else--scurries to google..ayup...there was

damn i am getting old....

imo tv series that have potential

cloak and dagger- good potential

Iron Fist/Heroes for Hire- very good potential

DareDevil- very doable- done right it could be a combo Crime/Court Drama as well has a superhero show

dr strange- maybe..depends on how they portray him

punisher- can we say 10pm cable slot say Fox or like Stars/hbo/whatever

ABC has had a very successful venture into branching out a series character into multiple media- not superhero, but the show CASTLE(my current favorite tv show)

main character Richard Castle(nathan fillion) is an author that has written 20odd best sellers, ABC ghost wrote- author Richard Castle, 4 books -so far-(naked heat, frozen heat, heat rising, heat wave- not in order the Nikki Heat books) that have gotten to the top ten best seller list for hard covers, also another character that is in the series- the character castle wrote BEFORE Nikki Heat- Derrick Storm has a graphic novel out now- done by marvel...

so if done RIGHT, totally doable to cross market a good show across multiple media platforms. comic, book and TV.
    Last edited by Lenardo; 01-31-2013 at 04:07 PM.

Tuconots
    Another benefit with a Carol Danvers movie would be a sequel where Rogue takes care of Ms. Marvel's unfinished business because of the stolen memories and powers. There was a comic book where Rogue broke into SHIELD's flying carrier to bust out one of Ms. Marvel's friends. He was oddly not too happy with her despite being rescued...

Not sure this would mesh well with the existing X-Men movielines though.

Tuconots
    In the pipeline
    Captain_planet_02.jpg

Tuconots
    Oddly enough, I would pay to see an epic, badass Captain Planet movie. If they could downplay the cheese and make it awesome, it would be cool. I always liked the idea of the power rings too.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by chilansl View Post
    Another benefit with a Carol Danvers movie would be a sequel where Rogue takes care of Ms. Marvel's unfinished business because of the stolen memories and powers. There was a comic book where Rogue broke into SHIELD's flying carrier to bust out one of Ms. Marvel's friends. He was oddly not too happy with her despite being rescued...

Not sure this would mesh well with the existing X-Men movielines though.
    It will also never happen until Fox lets the X-men franchise lapse, unfortunately. Otherwise we probably would have seen Wolverine in the Avengers (glad we didn't).

Cloak and Dagger tv-series?? I have the original 4-issue comic limited series, but I wasn't aware there was an actual tv show. Either I forgot it in all this time, or I missed it somehow. I'll have to go look it up now too.

EDIT: If it is the 1984 movie you're talking about, that has nothing to do with what we're talking about. Cloak is a black dude with a cape that sucks things into some nether portal, and Dagger is a hot white chick that throws "light knives." That movie is about a kid and spies. I might have missed it somewhere, but I can't find anything else that could be it. Unless you were just talking about the comic series?
    Last edited by Void; 01-31-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Tuconots
    no i vaguely remember a miniseries or short lived series with cloak and dagger- the super heroes that is, i could be wrong but it's there. either that or i am going senile .

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronne View Post
    Can we just make this a movie already please.

Thomas Jane did a serious 'over share' that distracts me every time I see him. Until they invent brain bleach, any role he takes will be tainted by knowing WAY TOO much about him. Listened to him in a few interviews, he is fucking nuts. Carlos Santana shoulda kept that shit to himself as well.

Tuconots
    I'd guess it won't be too long before we see an official Black Panther announcement of some sort. There have been rumors recently and actors getting asked about it, specifically Djimon Hounsou who voiced the character in the animated series. It would make sense, he's tied in with everyone but works outside most of the Marvel traditional world. He's like the black Batman and even though the movie wouldn't pull in Iron Man money it would be great PR and probably not too insanely pricey to make.

http://marvel-movies.wikia.com/wiki/...film%29_rumors

Marvel has seriously looked in to tons of minor character they have for movies or movie parts. It's crazy.

http://marvel-movies.wikia.com/wiki/...verse_projects

Tuconots
    I'd guess it won't be too long before we see an official Black Panther announcement of some sort. There have been rumors recently and actors getting asked about it, specifically Djimon Hounsou who voiced the character in the animated series. It would make sense, he's tied in with everyone but works outside most of the Marvel traditional world. He's like the black Batman and even though the movie wouldn't pull in Iron Man money it would be great PR and probably not too insanely pricey to make.

Marvel has seriously looked in to tons of minor character they have for movies or movie parts. It's crazy.

I'd love a Black Panther movie series done right. I wonder if Marvel would change his name, since the Black Panther Party has politicized his name.

Tuconots

Power Pack movie needs to happen as well.
    Make a movie out of Thor and the Warriors 4.

Although, I suppose it would be best animated.

Meanwhile, DC has forgotten they have anyone other then Batman.

Tuconots
    I think DC is far ahead of Marvel in the animation department, and has been for years. Course, that's not where the money is and for some reason they seem incapable of properly transitioning to the theater, outside of Batman. I'm noncommittal on Man of Steel, fearful that the Justice League is going to be terrible and Green Lantern sucked so much ass it could be heard from space. Which is a VACUUM. /archer

Tuconots
    I had really high hopes for Marvel's animated offerings after the first Ultimate Avengers movie. That shit was baller. Went downhill fast though. At this point I wonder how much of a fuck they even give about that area though=/

Tuconots
    I think the beginning of the end for them was when they were too goddam lazy to actually animate a movie, and instead did 'motion comics'. I thought it was a first-person view of Michael J. Fox reading a damn funnybook, when first I saw it.

Tuconots
    I think DC is far ahead of Marvel in the animation department, and has been for years. Course, that's not where the money is and for some reason they seem incapable of properly transitioning to the theater, outside of Batman. I'm noncommittal on Man of Steel, fearful that the Justice League is going to be terrible and Green Lantern sucked so much ass it could be heard from space. Which is a VACUUM. /archer
    DC's animated has been going downhill for some time.
    The department even shut down. Young justice and green lantern shows got canceled.

let me make a list.
    superman doomsday
    justice league: new frontier
    Batman:gotham knight
    wonder woman
    green lantern First flight.
    superman/batman: public enemies
    Justice league: crisis on two earths
    Batman: under the red hood
    Superman/batman: apocolypse
    all star superman
    Green lantern:emerald knights
    batman:year one
    Justice league:doom
    superman vs the elite
    batman: TDKR

Upcoming:
    Superman:unbound
    justiceleague: flashpoint.

17 movies.
    6 batman movies.
    6 superman movies.
    4 justice league movies. (which I wasn't counting as batman/superman. but really, 90% of the screen time is batman/superman for them too)
    1 WW.
    2 green lantern.

This is one of DC's serious problems. They don't seem to understand if you ignore your brands, they are forgotten. They've been stuck in a massive rut. only batman/superman sells, because they only promote batman/superman. so anything other then batman/superman doesn't make money, and if it doesn't make money, they wont make it.
    Where is the Huntress movie? The Question? JLI? Booster? Batwoman? Powergirl? Legion? Hawkman/girl, Aquaman, Metal men, Teen titans, nightwing, Animal man, etc. DC has a huge cast of characters.
    Hell, thats just proper DC.
    Veritgo, Wildstorm. Planetary, Stormwatch, authority, wildcats. People talk about having to make a leadup to justice league.
    Imagine, a Stormwatch movie. holy shit make it the ACTUAL crossover. Stormwatch ended
    Spoiler: 
    with an Aliens crossover. The entire team was killed by Aliens. This directly lead to the formation of The Authority.
    then have a Jenny sparks, Engineer, Midnighter/Apollo, and Jack hawksmoor movie by themselves, leading into The Authority. Everyone of these characters can easily lead their own movie.

Can you even imagine the minds blown a midnighter/apollo movie would create?

But anyway, marvel has nothing to fear on the animated side. DC is not making money off that anymore.
    That said dont forget Marvel is owned by Disney now.

I don't mean a Marvel animated Powerpack. I mean a disney/pixar animated Power Pack. Imagine Power pack, looking like the Incredibles.

Tuconots
    I still don't understand why Teen Titans was canceled. That seemed like a solid and good age-spanning show.

Tuconots
    What all did Marvel do animated movies of? The two Avengers things, the Hulk/Thor double pack thing(Hulk Vs.), Planet Hulk, Doctor Strange, what else?

Checking Wiki there was the Invincible Iron Man, not sure I saw that. Something called "Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow" about like, teenage Avengers. Never heard of it. Some 3D thing they did for Madame Tussauds. And finally "Thor: Tales of Asgard" came out in 2011. Which I was hoping was actually the Ancient Asgard trilogy but it's not at all. Actually looks kind of shitty=\ Anyone got a review of that?

The animated Avengers series they did wasn't too bad. And there's a couple Iron Man(one with Hulk) movies slated for this year.

They could probably do a pretty sweet Runaways series to fill in that Teen Titans sized hole.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhaun View Post
    I still don't understand why Teen Titans was canceled. That seemed like a solid and good age-spanning show.
    The econ on tv shows in general are kindof all over the place. And probably even worse for animated.

Cost vs popularity
    A popular show might be expensive.
    Nobody likes Johnny Test, but that shit is on season 6 because its cheap as hell.

Secondary market.
    Ben 10 on the cartoon side has tried to suicide itself. but the constant reboots, also allowed for more toys. Toys selling, has ensured its stayed on the air.
    Its also not uncommon for a middle of the road properly to get not renewed, simply because they want to promote something new. green lantern, and YJ probably fit this. Sold ok, but not great. So they ditch them, in hopes of a break out.

Teen titans was on season 4 iirc. sold all the toys it was going to sell, was of course popular. but exactly, cost outweighed how much they thought they could bring in.

Alot of this is CN vs WB maneuvering. Again, Johnny Test is cheap as fuck. WB wants more money for their stuff.

Meanwhile, HUB and Disney are basically sitting there, going, you guys are retarded.
    The big push to pump out shitty live action crap on these channels of course also weighs in.

Future?
    11min episodes, ala Adventuretime. this lets them crank out more, cheaper. and every 30m episode is really only 11min of new content.
    Anthologies. Honestly no fucking clue why this isn't happening already. Remember when you were a kid and Calliope, or later liquid television, kablam, and the like? 11 min of cartoons, 11 min of live action. Its cheaper, and has the cartoons.
    The "dc nation" shorts should have been this. 72 DC nation shorts. if they averaged 3min. Then thats 19 11 min episodes. That is easily a full season of an anthology program. Yet released as single shorts, effectively commercials, that were skipped, as they were not announced in any way. largely lost. This was incredibly dumb on both DC and CN's part. Utterly bizarre considering CN wants to remove cartoons entirely.

Why hasn't Wakfu been imported to the US?

Tuconots
    Something called "Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow" about like, teenage Avengers. Never heard of it.
    I just watched this on Netflix the other night and thought it was pretty entertaining. I was going to post it in that "Better Than Expected" thread, but figured I'd be told everyone had seen it. :P Thor's daughter was pretty awesome.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Caliane View Post
    This is one of DC's serious problems. They don't seem to understand if you ignore your brands, they are forgotten.
    What does it say when my kids run around emulating Iron Man and don't even know who Superman is? Think about it, if you were born in the last seven years or so, all you know is Marvel characters.

A friend of mine turned me on to a Metallica song I hadn't heard. I was playing it on my PC, and the two year old comes running in and yells, "I'm Iron Man!" This happens quite a bit around here.

If DC keeps this up, in five to ten years, their characters will fade into obscurity. There was an interesting article on DC, about how there is a power struggle between certain Execs at DC, which is pretty much killing new projects.
    Last edited by Lyrical; 02-02-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Tuconots
    What all did Marvel do animated movies of? The two Avengers things, the Hulk/Thor double pack thing(Hulk Vs.), Planet Hulk, Doctor Strange, what else?

Checking Wiki there was the Invincible Iron Man, not sure I saw that. Something called "Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow" about like, teenage Avengers. Never heard of it. Some 3D thing they did for Madame Tussauds. And finally "Thor: Tales of Asgard" came out in 2011. Which I was hoping was actually the Ancient Asgard trilogy but it's not at all. Actually looks kind of shitty=\ Anyone got a review of that?

The animated Avengers series they did wasn't too bad. And there's a couple Iron Man(one with Hulk) movies slated for this year.

They could probably do a pretty sweet Runaways series to fill in that Teen Titans sized hole.
    Wasnt there an X-men animated that ran for a while?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Merkins4Brazil View Post
    Wasnt there an X-men animated that ran for a while?
    Did you mean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men_(TV_series) or the newer one? XMen TAS was 5 seasons, just shy of 80 episodes iirc. I watched it last year and let me tell you, it did NOT age well. Really looks like shit, even compared to other stuff from the same era.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyrical View Post
    Let's face it, the DC Execs are full on retard, and studio politics kills a lot of projects. Pretty much any moron could cut and paste Marvel's cartoon and movie strategy onto DC and make ten billion dollars.
    Stated in the tv thread, but more appropriate here.

Seriously so many problems. First look at Batman, the one property of late that did well. Batman, and ONLY Batman. Fuck Nolan. seriously fuck Nolan. Dc should never had let him do that.
    No Nightwing, no Batgirl, no batwoman, not even a hint of superman, justice league, justice society, Cpt Marvel, zatanna, ww, and so on.
    Zero chance for any spin offs from it. That is pretty fucking stupid. Hell even the ending would make a Catwoman spinoff really hard.

Since 2000
    DC comics: (should be noted 1997 was Steel and Batman and Robin, which understandably killed any attempts for a while. Xmen's success invigorated them no doubt.)
    Catwoman 2004 82m worldwide/100m budget.
    Batman Begins 2005 374m/150m
    Superman Returns 2006 391m/270m
    The Dark knight 2008 1,004/185m
    Watchmen 2009 185m/130m
    Jonah hex 2010 10m/47m (lol)
    Green lantern 2011 219m/200m
    Dark knight rises 2012 1,081m/250m
    8 films.
    3,346,000 worldwide income, 1,332,000 cost.

Marvel:
    Xmen 2000 296m/75m
    Blade2 155m/54m, spiderman 821/139 2002
    daredevil, x2 407m/110m, hulk 2003
    the punisher 54m/33m ,Spiderman2 783m/200m, blade 3 129m/65m 2004
    electra, FF 2005
    xmen3 2006 459m/210m
    ghost rider 228m/110m, spiderman 3 890m/258m, FF2 2007
    IM 585m/140m, hulk 263m/150m, punisher:war zone 10m/35m 2008
    wolverine 2009 373m/150m
    IM2 624m/200m 2010
    thor 449m/150m, xmen first class 353m/160m, Cap A 2011
    ghost rider 2 132m/57m, Avengers 1,511m/220m, Amazing SM 752m/230m 2012
    26 movies.
    I got too bored to add them up.

But really look at that, that is insanely dumb DC/WB is being. They don't even have to deal with Sony, Fox, etc.

(punisher put up the same numbers as Dredd. huh..)

Tuconots
    Zero chance for any spin offs from it. That is pretty fucking stupid. Hell even the ending would make a Catwoman spinoff really hard.
    Well, they were pretty obviously setting up JGL to be Robin/Nightwing.

Tuconots
    This is one of DC's serious problems. They don't seem to understand if you ignore your brands, they are forgotten. They've been stuck in a massive rut. only batman/superman sells, because they only promote batman/superman. so anything other then batman/superman doesn't make money, and if it doesn't make money, they wont make it.
    This is hardly surprising though. It just seems to me that DC's properties haven't aged as well as Marvel's. I'm not sure if this is because of neglect or just the nature of the properties. I will say that DC's characters have always struck me as being more fanciful which I imagine would make them harder to pull off well.

Tuconots
    Well, and the ones that WOULD work they've just handled poorly.

Green Lantern has so much potential, and they really did dive in to the galactic aspects of it more than I expected, but the move just had too much cheese. And the giant cloud monster bad guy was a terrible idea, especially to do it AFTER the 2nd FF movie.

And I think I'd rather see a Flash movie done right than just about any other comic property. Other than those two and the obvious big 3 though(does WW even count as a potential movie draw at this point?), they just don't have names that people would recognize and pay big money for I think. Because of the previously mentioned terrible job they've done setting things up.

There were rumors of a Captain Marvel/Black Adam movie a couple years back with The Rock as Adam, but I guess that fell through. And if Marvel introduces Carol Danvers before that gets off the ground I imagine they'd hesitate a little more just because of name confusion. Green Arrow is on a fucking CW show, plus with Hawkeye already established he'd come off as a rip off to casual fans.

So aside from those and the Bat/Superman families, what does DC have that would be likely to pack some box office punch? They're gonna be pretty gunshy about spending big on anything after Superman/Lantern, two of their AAA properties, crapped out. I guess a ton of it will depend how Man of Steel does.

Tuconots
    yeah, GL was just poorly written. Hal was the villain. haha.

Flash will be really hard to make a movie on. Best bet there would be to focus on the Rogues I think. who are all incredibly good characters. The Flash's villians are way better then Batmans.
    A classic example of DC dropping the ball. The Rogues should be household names. Moreso then Joker, Twoface, Green goblin, etc.

What is and isn't triple A is all about promotion. Of course no one will go see something they haven't heard of. so you have to introduce people to them..
    Powergirl was on a huge upswing in awareness and popularity.

DC has memory on their side. Sometimes its a bit harmful. Superfriends has really killed Aquaman.
    But hell, Archer had a Shazam joke, the other week. People remember him.
    Teen titans of course. the cartoon was super popular. You could do the full ensemble. Or even give Raven or Starfire a solo movie.

Justice League Dark is getting a movie. Constantine, Swamp thing, etc..
    Then you have Neil..

A Lucifer or Sandman movie? Books of Magic? troll the shit out of Harry Potter fans?

Make Books of Magic. Boy wizard movie. with Neil Gaimons name attached.
    Introduces Phantom stranger, the spectre, Xanadu, Docter 13, constantine, Zatanna, Zatarra, , Destiny, Dream, Death, Fate, Mister E, the lords of Fate, and chaos,
    That is basically what it is. its entire purpose was to serve as an introduction to DC's magical heritage.
    Last edited by Caliane; 02-03-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Tuconots
    Stated in the tv thread, but more appropriate here.

Seriously so many problems.
    There have been numerous articles talking about how politics at DC have made it tough to get anything greenlit. Apparently, there are two factions under two Execs that want to take over the studio, and if you are on one side, you aren't on the other. So you might have a great idea, and then have to worry about even mentioning it, because no one wants a reprisal from the other side. It's a reason why it took them forever to greenlight the JLA movie after Avengers made a killing. Apparently, the only thing both sides can agree on is that Batman and Superman always need to be out there.

Long story short, the suits are getting in the way of creative, instead of helping it. I wasn't kidding, any nerd on these boards could do better.
    Last edited by Lyrical; 02-03-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Tuconots
    So Latino Review popped a huge one (which I got from AICN) about where Hulk fits into the larger scheme of things. Here's what they said:

Spoiler: 
    Toward the end of Avengers 2, Hulk will be deemed "too dangerous" to be allowed to continue to exist on earth, and he'll be exiled. So begins the standalone movie with Planet Hulk. Then it seems Avengers 3 will follow up with the World War Hulk storyline.

If this turns out to be true... full on geekgasm.

Tuconots
    that sounds like a bad idea. Paints the Avengers are utter douchebags. worse then even the normal comics did. Hulk has not been remotely shown to be out of control enough to warrant that.

Tuconots
    that sounds like a bad idea. Paints the Avengers are utter douchebags. worse then even the normal comics did. Hulk has not been remotely shown to be out of control enough to warrant that.
    more importantly, it paints tony stark as THE douchebag... with the amount of money that ironman's name brings in, they'd never tank his popularity like that.

Tuconots
    So they write him as losing control. It's been done before in the comics many times over. It could be as simple as having a side storyline where the Avengers fight the Leader, and the Hulk is exposed to one of the Leader's gamma ray experiments by accident, causing him to absorb more gamma radiation than normal.

I'd be all over a WWH movie line.
    Last edited by Lyrical; 02-04-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Tuconots
    i think only a wh40k movie would be more awesome than a WWH movie. Seriously, the ammount of potential destruction is off the chart

Tuconots
    I remember when this ground to a halt, but I never found an explanation why.

Tuconots
    Chris Pratt picked to lead the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Tuconots
    Oh I am even more looking forward to this. I think Pratt will kill.

Tuconots
    He was a pleasant surprise in Zero Dark Thirty. Plus he showed he can get in superhero shape for a movie, check out his Conan interview where he showed his shape for that and then what he was back to for Parks and Rec. Also he's GD hilarious in every single talk show interview.

Tuconots
    Well, and the ones that WOULD work they've just handled poorly.

Green Lantern has so much potential, and they really did dive in to the galactic aspects of it more than I expected, but the move just had too much cheese. And the giant cloud monster bad guy was a terrible idea, especially to do it AFTER the 2nd FF movie.

And I think I'd rather see a Flash movie done right than just about any other comic property. Other than those two and the obvious big 3 though(does WW even count as a potential movie draw at this point?), they just don't have names that people would recognize and pay big money for I think. Because of the previously mentioned terrible job they've done setting things up.

There were rumors of a Captain Marvel/Black Adam movie a couple years back with The Rock as Adam, but I guess that fell through. And if Marvel introduces Carol Danvers before that gets off the ground I imagine they'd hesitate a little more just because of name confusion. Green Arrow is on a fucking CW show, plus with Hawkeye already established he'd come off as a rip off to casual fans.

So aside from those and the Bat/Superman families, what does DC have that would be likely to pack some box office punch? They're gonna be pretty gunshy about spending big on anything after Superman/Lantern, two of their AAA properties, crapped out. I guess a ton of it will depend how Man of Steel does.
    I still don't understand why they didn't start them off fighting the Manhunters.. they could have used that as a way to transition into the Parallex story line for the second movie. And already hinting at the Sinestro corps. for movie 2? We don't even know who the guy is yet. Mark Strong's performance was the only good thing about that movie..

The only thing DC can do at this point is take the same approach that Disney is with Star Wars.. put your big film first (Justice League/Star Wars VII) then have off shoots to compliment the main movie.. the opposite approach of Marvel. If they keep lining them up individually they will get picked off, the strongest point of these characters is as a team and JLA is a recognized brand name.. more so than the Avengers were prior to their films imo.

Although the hints that Snyder keeps dropping about a possible connection between Nolan's Batman trilogy and Man of Steel could lead to something interesting that none of us see coming..

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    Although the hints that Snyder keeps dropping about a possible connection between Nolan's Batman trilogy and Man of Steel could lead to something interesting that none of us see coming..
    I would like this to be the post credit scene. But seeing as how anything outside Batman has been crap and that DC has no direction whatsoever, I don't have my hopes up.

Tuconots
    Avengers 2 Rumors and such. Including Joss Whedon's statement that it will feature "death, death, and more death".

Also, Guardians of the Galaxy will be 95% in space. So full on Sci Fi for that flick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erronius View Post
    maybe there is some sort of mutant mandingo sweet-corn hybrid

Tuconots
    Why hasn't Luke Cage gotten a movie yet? I mean, simplest hero ever. Just get a pissed-off black guy, show people shooting him with no effect and getting beat on. Done.

Tuconots
    You just need to turn on your nightly news to see that movie.

Tuconots
    I agree, especially how few good black heroes there are, I'd think they'd try to cash in on Cage. Give him a Chinese Iron Fist and a white detective girl (maybe some C-class hero I can't think of) and ker-pow! Heroes-for-Hire HBO series/TV show/Movie/what-the-fuck-ever.

Tuconots
    Avengers 2 Rumors and such. Including Joss Whedon's statement that it will feature "death, death, and more death".
    Funny how the word "Death" works in context with The Avengers...

Quote Originally Posted by The Other
    Humans. They are not the cowering wretches we were promised. They stand. They are unruly and therefore they cannot be ruled. To challenge them is to court Death.
    So, perhaps some of the supes will get killed off. We all know how Joss Whedon loves to kill off beloved characters in his work. But, maybe it'll also include her.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarnin View Post
    Funny how the word "Death" works in context with The Avengers...

So, perhaps some of the supes will get killed off. We all know how Joss Whedon loves to kill off beloved characters in his work. But, maybe it'll also include her.
    I have read your post three times and I can't figure out if you didn't get the dual meaning of The Other's words when he said them due to who he was saying them to in that scene. Or if you just started putting it into place because of the Whedon quote or what.

I guess I was so taken with the awesomeness of the scene that I never stepped back and considered if it was really meaningless to someone who didn't understand who was being spoken to.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by fucker View Post
    i think only a wh40k movie would be more awesome than a WWH movie. Seriously, the ammount of potential destruction is off the chart
    Ultramarines on Blu-ray

Tuconots
    I have read your post three times and I can't figure out if you didn't get the dual meaning of The Other's words when he said them due to who he was saying them to in that scene. Or if you just started putting it into place because of the Whedon quote or what.
    No, I get it. I've got almost every comic Thanos has ever appeared in.

I guess I was so taken with the awesomeness of the scene that I never stepped back and considered if it was really meaningless to someone who didn't understand who was being spoken to.
    I had a bunch of friends asking me about this scene after seeing it. "Who was that guy? Why did he smile after his army got beat? What the hell is going on?"

Took a while to explain who Thanos was, and why he's interested in Death, but they get it now.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Inque View Post
    when i was talking about a 40k movie i was meaning something more than a 3d trash video with senseless plot and scenes, and with graphic and animations of a early '90 videogame

Tuconots
    Wish we could get Exodus in a movie...

Tuconots

Tuconots

Tuconots
    doesnt matter.....the win or lose factor of the Guardians movie will be motherfucking Rocket Racoon

....and how sexy is Gamora

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhars View Post
    Meh, he pulled a douchebag actor move with his agent and wanted more money, according to an update to that article. Granted, Marvel studio stuff is pretty golden right now but the Guardians is probably the most out there property on the horizon, and it's not nearly as proven a commodity as what they've done so far. Asking for more money on a project that is something of a risk means you get replaced by a wrestler.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by moontayle View Post
    Asking for more money on a project that is something of a risk means you get replaced by a wrestler.
    Which blows because he would have been my preference as well.

I don't know shit about the Guardians, how much Drax will there even be? I knew nothing about him until Annihilation and haven't read any of the follow up stuff since.

Tuconots
    i want to see black bolt in a movie. he's been my favorite marvel character for the longest time because he's cool as shit.

Tuconots
    Which blows because he would have been my preference as well.

I don't know shit about the Guardians, how much Drax will there even be? I knew nothing about him until Annihilation and haven't read any of the follow up stuff since.
    Drax has always been present everytime Thanos is involved. He was a human killed by Thanos and resurrected by the cosmic being Chronos with the specific intent to kill him

He helped Warlock and Cap Marvel against Thanos until he died and resurrected, but this second death made him mentally retarded. He hanged out with Warlock and the Infinity Watch, keeping the Infinity Gem of power for the entire period of the "Infinity Trilogy". In this form he was a physical powerhouse of the highest level, capable to fight Hulk and many other earth heroes together

i'm not sure what happened, but he was restored in the current, inteligent, form you see in Annihilation until he was killed (again) by Thanos in "Thanos Imperative". In this form he was much weaker, but much more skilled in fighting

no idea if he's back or not now

he's pretty much a psycotic person obsessed with Thanos. it will interesting to see him on screen

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by fucker View Post
    he's pretty much a psycotic person obsessed with Thanos. it will interesting to see him on screen
    Yeah this was pretty baller.

Tuconots
    the element im very curious of is the relationship between Thanos and Death. because that's what define him. i just hope Death won't be just a mentioned thing, or a concept. i hope she will shows up somehow. "How" is the question of course. From a cinematographic point of view, it's not a new concept. Death as a being is present in many stories, or movies like the 7th Seal from Bergman or TV serie like Supernatural. The closest thing i can come up with is the Fifth Element and how that "Great Evil" being made ppl shit their pants. A similar scene would be cool, with everyone but Thanos agonizing on the floor, while Thanos speak to Death's "vassal" while she remains offscreen

we know she's there but she won't be shown and won't speak, like in the comics. And like in the comics, he ask why she won't speak directly to him

then, when Thanos dies....she comes and speak to him for the first time. Maybe see a female hand caress him. Because that's all what Thanos is

i want to see a version of this
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fucker; 03-25-2013 at 10:05 AM.

Tuconots
    Nah, she first spoke to him in Samaritan.

Tuconots
    yes i know, but the interesting part is Thanos persevering to get that moment of attention

Tuconots
    Anyone remember when Death broke up with Thanos? That was hilarious.

Tuconots
    was that infinity crusade?

Tuconots
    i'm not sure what he mean, but the closest i can come up is the Infinity Gauntlet where Death didn't "break up" with him....she directly attacked him with the rest of the cosmic abstracts

Tuconots
    Found a reference to Death dumping him when he lost the cosmic cube(Captain Marvel destroys it?). I guess since he no longer has the power to kill....everything. I didn't look to hard though.

Thread Information