Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aliens: Colonial Marines

Tuconots

Aliens: Colonial Marines

I am a huge fan of the franchise and can't wait for this, anyone else looking forward to this?

I know Alien vs Predator was a huge let down, hopefully this won't tank.

Tuconots
    I've been anxious because I love the franchise, but after AvP I've been waiting for the the reviews.
    Kaige#1128 - Battle.net
    Kaige - Steam

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaige View Post
    I've been anxious because I love the franchise, but after AvP I've been waiting for the the reviews.
    This.

I so much want the original AvsP(/2) goodness, but updated.

Tuconots
    Have the Collector's Edition of this pre-ordered. It comes with a motherfucking POWERLOADER figure. I cannot wait for this game.

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/gam...edition/102613

Tuconots
    Very nice, hope the co-op features of the game are going to be fun.

Tuconots
    Want to like it, but for the past 20 years I've had nightmares about Giger aliens so........fuck dat shit son.

Tuconots
    I am a huge fan of the franchise and can't wait for this, anyone else looking forward to this?

I know Alien vs Predator was a huge let down, hopefully this won't tank.
    I'm assuming that you're talking about the most recent release of AVP (2010)? I agree, it was fairly abysmal. But the original AvP kicked all kinds of ass. I'm also very much looking forward to this new release!

Tuconots
    Since this will be multiplatform (as far as I know?), will the servers all be the same? For those who use PC to the console?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuriin View Post
    Since this will be multiplatform (as far as I know?), will the servers all be the same? For those who use PC to the console?
    If there is multi-player - not a chance

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    even with Xim3's we'd wreck their shit. I am going to get this.
    Last edited by Regime; 01-28-2013 at 10:47 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    This is so disappointing. Way to separate everyone.

Tuconots
    You can pretty much blame Microsoft when making Shadowrun, the FPS one, for no future support on multi-player with console and PCs. During testing even a group of decent PC players were just straight up raping their best console players. So the choice was made to drop feature because Microsoft feared that the beatings will drive up PC gaming and lower console gaming. That and it would have been too expensive to package in a backpack with every console sale for the players to carry an ass-whooping in.

Tuconots
    PC master race alien reporting

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuya View Post
    That and it would have been too expensive to package in a backpack with every console sale for the players to carry an ass-whooping in.
    This is the best damned thing I've read all day. If I'm not mistaken, every single FPS console game that's been made in recent history all have a small amount of auto-aim built into the software. It's necessary to overcome the inherent inaccuracy that comes from using a gamepad. Asswhoopings indeed.

Tuconots
    True, cheating less prevalent on console.

Why can't they just release a goddamned keyboard and mouse for the X-Box for gaming?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirgon View Post
    True, cheating less prevalent on console.

Why can't they just release a goddamned keyboard and mouse for the X-Box for gaming?
    Probably out of the same concern, it would become necessary hardware and just turn the Xbox into a PC.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    Probably out of the same concern, it would become necessary hardware and just turn the Xbox into a PC.
    But... it already is a weak PC, just without keyboard and mouse

Tuconots
    So it looks like this thing is shaping up to be one of the worst games of all times.

I ordered anyway on GMG because I found it for cheap, and I still think the multiplayer will be fun. But oh my God some hilarious videos are showing up on the SA forums.

http://gifsound.com/?gif=http://s7.p...Fv=KRaiiT3ZnJw

I guess they have blind zombie aliens.

And a new review is up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dPF8jpItCs

Oh, I guess it is unlocked on Steam via VPN now in Australia, Gearbox forgot to include the executable file

Tea and Crumpets
    Tuconots
    Sigh.. I was hyped for this game until I saw that video. I approach tomorrow with cautious optimism .

Tuconots
    Son of a bitch!!!!

How do studios, video game and movie alike, fuck up great IP's so badly, seriously....

Tuconots
    has this franchise ever produced a half decent game? lol

Tuconots
    Tonight when I get off work I am going to do the preinstall and then load it and play for a bit on a VPN to Australia and see how it really is.

So far the IGN reviewer put out a clue saying it isn't as good as Borderlands, but wasn't as bad as Duke Nukem Forever :\

Tuconots
    The Atari Jaguar Aliens game was great. This looks like dogshit.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by balroc View Post
    has this franchise ever produced a half decent game? lol
    AVP for the Atari Jaguar was pretty good.

Tuconots
    When I was a kid I used to play the shit out of the arcade Aliens game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny49 View Post
    also chocolate release the same chemical in the brain that the feeling of love does, so i am training them to love giving me blowjobs
    Draegan's a faggot.

Tuconots
    AvP 2 for the PC was pretty awesome imho. Not as hard or scary as AvP 1, but the multi was tits.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinsic View Post
    When I was a kid I used to play the shit out of the arcade Aliens game.
    Hell yeah that was another good one.

Tuconots
    Going to be extremely sad if this turns out to be so bad. Going to hold off on picking up my order until the review embargo is lifted.

Tuconots
    Fuck. Please don't let this suck.

Tuconots
    AVP3 was a turd. Since that game, I no longer buy games before they are out and I have a chance to see what the bros have to say about it.

I will have a major sad if this game sucks.

Tuconots
    I grabbed the 360 version on saturday when street date broke here and tbh I have been enjoying it enough that I grabbed the PC + season pass from GMG yesterday because the only problem I have had on 360 so far has been shitty 480p seeming resolution and textures, am hoping pc version will fix that.

I haven't tried multiplayer yet and only got a few missions in to the campaign but just playing those after Dead Space 3 reminded me of what tension and pacing in a game like this should be. I was scanning everywhere as I was moving through the levels, walking backwards so I could watch the rear etc. Yes the firefights are fast and it's a killfest game when that occurs but while you are wandering through corridors full of alien slime, opened eggs, dead facehuggers, motion tracker out and see movement out the corner of your eye but then see nothing (because the xeno's blend like a motherfucker with their hardened slime) it gets tense.

The marine AI is shitty, though I'm hoping that the drop-in co-op will help with that once more people have it, and some of the items you need to interact with (like consoles) are a little hard to see at times to the point I restarted a checkpoint because I thought the AI had bugged out but it was just that I didn't see a console but the enemy AI so far has been fairly good with plenty of flanking and other tactics being used by the two types of enemies I've come across so far.

I'm liking it, certainly a lot more than DS3, and the fact it's canonical means that a fan of the universe really needs to at least be up to speed on what happens in it but I am only a few missions in and can accept it might end up being shit but so far I'm ranking it as looking to be around a 7/10 if it stays at this level (not taking in to account the multiplayer as it doesn't really interest me that much)

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by CyrusReij View Post
    AvP 2 for the PC was pretty awesome imho. Not as hard or scary as AvP 1, but the multi was tits.
    I played the hell out of AvP 2 multi back in the day. I still remember the when AvP movie came out a year later and everyone purchased the AvP 2 gold pack to play online. I made sure to play as a marine and school every alien/predator I crossed since humans in the movie looked weak. Once I was the only marine playing, jumped into a mech suit, run into a room with three aliens and two predators fighting it out, launch a barrage of rockets and racked up five kills while taunting them to "come at me bro".

Tuconots
    I guess the arcade game I was thinking of was actually called Aliens vs. Predator as well. Whatever, shit was awesome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    also chocolate release the same chemical in the brain that the feeling of love does, so i am training them to love giving me blowjobs
    Draegan's a faggot.

Sassy Fat Black Woman Agonizing the Bait Master's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Game is horrid

Tuconots
    I unlocked the PC version via VPN and played... Holy fuck. I don't know what I just played. I'll cross post.

Ok confirming: The campaign is horrid. Aliens are as we feared. Most of the time they just get stuck walking around and are no challenge what so ever. One went back and forth, forward and back, and I watched wondering what it was doing. If I didn't know any better, this was a new Michael Jackson Moonwalker Alien. About the only way this entire single player experience can redeem itself is with a friend, in coop, extremely fucking hammered and laughing our asses off that we bought this game.

Hopefully multiplayer will save the day here. I cannot test that on this VPN I am on. It's pretty laggy so will wait for tomorrow.

Music, sounds, all what you would expect.

I swear to God they used existing Art Assets from the PS2 version. Some of the textures are SO bad. They look like green / red blobs when they are supposed to be various electronic equipment. The voice acting is horrible. This isn't a spoiler I do not think but this is what one lady said over a comm channel... In the most monotone voice you could ever imagine. "Yeah. This thing attached to my face. I'm ok now though. It was weird."

I am so glad I only paid $37.99 for this. I wouldn't recommend this at $9.99 so far. Again, reinstating I hope the multiplayer is good.

and...

So I just watched as one Alien decided to turn it's back to me and sit there staring at a wall doing nothing. Another decided it would be a good idea to go under a grate... the only problem, the tail was clipping right through it. I also had an Alien, after I shot it, hang in mid-air by itself just... suspended in the air upside down not attached to anything.

Holy fuck. They should be issuing fucking refunds.

I'm liking it, certainly a lot more than DS3, and the fact it's canonical means that a fan of the universe really needs to at least be up to speed on what happens in it but I am only a few missions in and can accept it might end up being shit but so far I'm ranking it as looking to be around a 7/10 if it stays at this level (not taking in to account the multiplayer as it doesn't really interest me that much)
    How is this opinion even possible? Sorry, but... Jesus. I am not sure how you can call this game tense as you can see Aliens coming at you (Slowly) from tens of feet out, they die at the drop of a hat, some just get stuck on something, the voice aqcting is terrible, I never have to pull up my motion tracker because I just see an Alien coming at me. They are so unmenacing. The only time I was tense, even for a second, was first getting onboard the Sulaco and I found that guy tied up. And even then, after what happened, I had to laugh. There wasn't any jump scare associated. Then I chased an Alien around in a circle for 2 minutes.
    Last edited by Utnayan; 02-12-2013 at 04:27 AM.

Tuconots
    developers were streaming multiplayer on Twitch, playing on xbox. seemed meh. they were bad at the game, so hard to tell how balanced it was. it played a lot like L4D, each side got a turn at aliens(infected) or marines(survivors). there's at least 3 types of aliens i think. the normal jump around and slash. one that stays in the back and spits. and a bigger one that slashes but doesn't seem to move as fast. dunno. graphics weren't that impressive, but streaming an xbox, so who knows.

Tuconots
    It's amazing that GB screwed this one up...considering how good BL 1/2 are, and the fact this was 5 years in development. While I won't damn it yet, the small stack of user reviews trickling out have a common thread, and that thread isn't good. I lost all interest when I saw screens a few months ago.

Now we know why this has been up to 50% off on sale.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    It's amazing that GB screwed this one up...considering how good BL 1/2 are, and the fact this was 5 years in development. While I won't damn it yet, the small stack of user reviews trickling out have a common thread, and that thread isn't good. I lost all interest when I saw screens a few months ago.

Now we know why this has been up to 50% off on sale.
    The Curse of the Xenomorphs.

Aliens is the new Madden cover.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnayan View Post
    How is this opinion even possible? Sorry, but... Jesus. I am not sure how you can call this game tense as you can see Aliens coming at you (Slowly) from tens of feet out, they die at the drop of a hat, some just get stuck on something, the voice aqcting is terrible, I never have to pull up my motion tracker because I just see an Alien coming at me. They are so unmenacing. The only time I was tense, even for a second, was first getting onboard the Sulaco and I found that guy tied up. And even then, after what happened, I had to laugh. There wasn't any jump scare associated. Then I chased an Alien around in a circle for 2 minutes.
    Meh, it's how I found it playing in the middle of the night with all lights off. I didn't say it was tense in fights with them, I said it was tense wondering where they were going to spring from as you are moving through the level and I stand by that.

Tuconots
    4.0 from GI: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/al...es-review.aspx

5.9 from GT: http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/...marines-review

So yeah, looks like I'll be cancelling my order.

Really, it's just getting shit all over everywhere. I can't believe one site actually gave it a 9.0, everywhere else it's completely tanking.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-...lonial-marines
    Last edited by Sean; 02-12-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Tuconots
    Wow, this game is getting absolutely shitroasted on every review site that I see

All reviewers are panning it for being a buggy and half finished mess (which is funny since it has been in dev for such a long time)

I was so looking forward to this as well.

Fuck

Tuconots
    I'm sad that I won't be putting an awesome Power Loader figure on my shelf. Dazed keeps badgering me about getting a 3DS XL and Fire Emblem so I might do that instead when XLs go on sale again.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Neki View Post
    Wow, this game is getting absolutely shitroasted on every review site that I see

All reviewers are panning it for being a buggy and half finished mess (which is funny since it has been in dev for such a long time)

I was so looking forward to this as well.

Fuck
    Oh, it's not all bad. EGM apparently loved it...

Tuconots
    4.5 on Gamespot. Fuck.

http://www.gamespot.com/aliens-colon...eview-6403683/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    4.0 from GI: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/al...es-review.aspx

5.9 from GT: http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/...marines-review

So yeah, looks like I'll be cancelling my order.

Really, it's just getting shit all over everywhere. I can't believe one site actually gave it a 9.0, everywhere else it's completely tanking.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-...lonial-marines
    At least we know who was paid for their review.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    At least we know who was paid for their review.
    Seeing that it was Published by Sega it was probably all that they could afford.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Seeing that it was Published by Sega it was probably all that they could afford.
    Sega spent all their money a couple years ago getting every reviewer out there to ignore the game breaking bugs of Empire Total War.

The coffers are empty.

As a side note, add Pitchford to a list of increasingly idiotic liars. This guy is setting up the scapegoat across independently contracted development firms now. I hope this guy somehow sees some repercussions out of this.

Tuconots
    Looks like DNF all over again. Gearbox should stop taking on projects that were in development hell and stick with their own IPs.

Tuconots
    Oh Pitchford. I would like to thank you for the comedy that this release will give us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J8SzBhjqaQ

From the Twitter page of Pitchford.

I can't understand why anyone would take opinions which basically suggest that we hate our fans. It's insane.
    Well Randy, it may have something to do with this launch and pulling the wool over everyone's eyes for the sake of a buck.
    Last edited by Utnayan; 02-12-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Tuconots
    I just watched a stream of this last night. The entire campaign was 6 hours. The Ai is stupid, the story is stupider, and there are huge unexplained retcons to the movies. The aliens cannot even climb walls and ceilings in multiplayer, something AVP2 did very well over a decade ago. In short stay away stay far away.

heres the Vid of his stream if anyone is interested in skimming it.

http://www.twitch.tv/thevoicz/b/366576405

Tuconots
    Shit. Was looking forward to this.

Tuconots
    lol what a shitpile, how do you fuck it up this badly?
    Draegan's a faggot.

Tuconots
    Amazing how this game went from 'day 1' to 'not even going to pirate' for me

Are we never going to get a good Alien game/film ever again?

First Prometheus and now this..

It's fucking crushing being a Alien fanboi

Tuconots
    Damn, i was really hoping this was going to turn out good. I remember being hyped for it like 6 years ago when it first showed up.

Tuconots
    Oh hey, just wanted to remind everyone who negged me what I had to say about this back on the old boards... ya know.. how it looked like it was gonna turn out.

Pissed.

Tuconots
    I bow to your clairvoyant skills sir. From this day forward, you are Nirgonstradamus, seer of shitty video games. May it rain +Nets on you for all your days.

Tuconots

Still pissed

Tuconots

Tuconots

Amateur hour

Tuconots
    Playing it now. Yep, it sucks. :\

Tuconots
    I hope everyone associated with this fucking game completely leaves the industry, fuck them and this studio!

Tuconots
    After seeing all the reviews and opinions on the game I literally don't understand how I'm enjoying it. Perhaps I've just been waiting for an Aliens game set back in that universe that I'm willing to overlook it's flaws, perhaps my opinion will change after I finish it and find I don't multiplayer or something....I got no idea so feel free to ignore my earlier opinions though I still hold to them and the 7/10 at this stage.

Tuconots
    I'd give this a 7/10 if I was playing it on my PS2.

Tuconots
    INB4 Nuke the game from orbit

Tuconots
    So uhhh, where is this game at? Because this is what got me interested in this thing in the first place, and as far as I can tell this video is 100% fabrication and does not actually exist at all in what they released.

Tuconots
    100% fabrication.

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/stat...86341998694400

That good looking demo of Colonial Marines they kept showing at events? Not part of the game. It was entirely contrived, and basically a lie
    http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/sh...d.php?t=244643

Tuconots
    Right, so everyone put in a refund request on Steam and you'll probably get your money back.

Tuconots
    Jesus. That is some next level shenanigans.

I just wanted AVP2 with AVP3 graphics. And possibly enjoy the novelty of a "story" that is canon in the Aliens universe. Fuck me, right?

Tuconots
    Man, Gearbox's credibility and good will has now all been completely flushed down the toilet for me after this fiasco. I can't believe they managed to shit out a game even worse than what they did with Duke Nukem Forever.

Tuconots
    yeah, spent some more time and spoke to other guys in the office and have sent off an email to GMG requesting a refund for it. Doubt they'll come through so will just have to take a wait and see approach to Gearbox and Randy from now on, which is annoying after BL1/2

Tuconots
    Jesus Christ almighty. Fuck Gearbox. So basically they took this license, kept dicking around with it and putting it off while they made their own games, then scrambled and went "oh fuck! we need to hire someone to finish this shit up for us or we're in deep shit" and went on making yet another one of their own games instead of fucking taking real responsibility for a franchise they were licensed.

Fuck Gearbox, that level of irresponsibility and the fact that they have completely tanked what could have been an amazing Aliens game is inexcusable.

Tuconots
    Top comment below, think we found Utnayan's Reddit account?

Quote Originally Posted by reddit
    Not acceptable. Not one fucking bit. If your company could not handle development of BL2 and A:CM then you should have put one or the other on the backburner and finished one game. You guys are NOT Blizzard, Ive seen your offices. You dont have hundreds of millions of dollars and can have "cabals" like Valve where different teams are working on different titles.

Your upper management and Pitchford should have known this. For fuck sakes its HIS company, he doesn't even know whats beyond your ability as a company? Is that what it takes to run a game dev studio now? To be completely detached from reality? Shit, are you guys hiring? How can I get Pitchfords job? Really, I guarantee I wont even ask for an amazing sum. Shit, 70k annually and I will get you guys sorted out. Seriously.

Whomever is there behind the steering wheel is overselling your companies ability to do what is tasked to them. That is pathetic.

How you people are still in business is beyond me.

I really hope that DLC ISNT released to "flesh out the story" really, just leave it alone. You guys have done quite enough. Leave it alone, go crank out borederlands3 4 and 5. Just leave this game alone.

The CODization of the gun game, the special aliens that were ripped from left 4 dead, the retconned nonsense that ignores basic things every fan knows as truth from the movies. Really, just stop please.

Whomever made that first fateful decision for you guys to start and stop development of Borederlands, Aliens for the DS, Duke Nukem Fornever, Colonial Marines, Borederlands 2, Brothers In Arms: We cant think of anything original so lets just ape Tarantinos inglorious bastards and god know what else you have right now needs to be fired.

Seriously, who mandates to a company of your size "moar games, develop moar games!"

Really, whomever made this call at the ceo, coo, cfo, kfc, mma, lol level is a world class idiot. They are going to cause your company to go buttfuck bankrupt. Im calling it right now. GBX, the next THQ.

Id start looking for gainful employment elsewhere bro. Nothing against you personally (unless your name is Randy Pitchford then you can go suck a dick) I hold none of the designers, artists and whatnot accountable for this abortion, but your leaders ....... unbelievable.

This is not sound business.

Tuconots
    He's right though. How Pitchford still, or ever, has a job is beyond me. DNF and now this. Come the fuck on.

I was really looking forward to this game. Fuck you Gearbox.

Tuconots
    The jimmy rustling is unimaginable!

Tuconots
    http://www.timegate.com/games/

Look at the game at the top of the list. Word on the street is that Time Gate essentially made the game. More as it develops.

Edit:
    the following is from gearbox employee on reddit....the real truth begins to come out... sega probably calling their lawyers already...

"First off, due to me breaking NDA, I can't provide any proof that I'm not just talking out of my ass. But I figure you'd be interested in hearing what I have to say regardless. I've been on the project for around a year and a half, so some of the following are things I've heard from more senior guys.
    Pecan (the internal codename for ACM) has a pretty long history. SEGA, GBX and 20th Century FOX came to an agreement to produce an Aliens game around 6 years ago, after which SEGA almost immediately announced it, long before Pecan had even started production. The game has been in active development in the past, only to be shelved in favor of another project (Borderlands, Duke, etc), and each time it was resumed it would undergo a major content overhaul.
    SEGA, naturally, wasn't super pleased about the delays, but GBX got away with it for a long time and the contract between SEGA and GBX kept getting augmented to push the projected release further and further back. The last time it was resumed, GBX outsourced a good portion of the game to outside companies. Initially, the plan was for TimeGate to take the majority of campaign, GBX would take MP, Demiurge and Nerve would handle DLC and various other focused tasks. This decision was made mostly so that most of the developers at GBX could continue working on Borderlands 2, while a small group of LDs, coders and designers dealt with Pecan.
    Somehow the schedules for Pecan and Borderlands 2 managed to line up and GBX realized that there was no ******* way they could cert and ship two titles at the same time. Additionally, campaign (which was being developed by TimeGate) was extremely far behind, even as Pecan's Beta deadline got closer and closer. In April or May (can't remember which), Pecan was supposed to hit beta, but GBX instead came to an agreement with SEGA that they would push the release date back one more time, buying GBX around 9 mos extension.
    About 5 of those 9 months went to shipping BL2. In that time, TimeGate managed to scrap together 85% of the campaign, but once Borderlands 2 shipped and GBX turned its attention to Pecan, it became pretty apparent that what had been made was in a pretty horrid state. Campaign didn't make much sense, the boss fights weren't implemented, PS3 was way over memory, etcetcetc. GBX was pretty unhappy with TG's work, and some of Campaign maps were just completely redesigned from scratch. There were some last minute feature requests, most notably female marines, and the general consensus among GBX devs was that there was no way this game was going to be good by ship. There just wasn't enough time.
    Considering that SEGA was pretty close to taking legal action against GBX, asking for an extension wasn't an option, and so Pecan crash-landed through certification and shipping. Features that were planned were oversimplified, or shoved in (a good example of this are challenges, which are in an incredibly illogical order). Issues that didn't cause 100% blockers 100% blockers were generally ignored, with the exception of absolutely horrible problems. This isn't because GBX didn't care, mind you. At a certain point, they couldn't risk changing ANYTHING that might cause them to fail certification or break some other system. And so, the product you see is what you get.
    Beyond gameplay, the story has been raised as an issue several times. I can't really comment without feeling bad beyond saying that the script was approved by 20th Century FOX, and that the rush to throw a playable product together came at the cost of the story. Campaign does a pretty bad job of explaining a lot of the questions raised at the start of the game, and so hopefully there will be DLC to flesh that out a bit better."
    Last edited by Beef Supreme; 02-13-2013 at 06:57 AM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Beef Supreme View Post
    http://www.timegate.com/games/

Look at the game at the top of the list. Word on the street is that Time Gate essentially made the game. More as it develops.
    And Sega is denying this.

Playnews – an independent news agency that focuses on the games industry – has informed us about an interesting statement from SEGA’s senior producer, Matthew J. Powers. According to the news, Aliens: Colonial Marines primary development has not been outsourced to TimeGate and Gearbox Software was not responsible just for the game’s multiplayer, Sega of America’s Senior Producer Matthew J. Powers confirmed to Playnews on Tuesday.
    As Powers told Playnews during the Italian Aliens: Colonial Marines’ launch event:

“Absolutely not, the game has been developed by Gearbox Software. Other studios [like Timegate] helped Gearbox on the production of single and multiplayer.”
    Basically just sounds like everyone wants to disavow having anything to do with the debacle.

Where's my money Leo?
    Tuconots
    Sounds like Sega is having a go at GB lol. Sucks to see they took on something they never should have. Pretty obvious after the success of BL that they wanted to get started on the the sequel right away. Many a bridge will be burned in this fiasco.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by stupidmonkey View Post
    Holy fucking Jesus

Tuconots
    Reminds me of

Even as a major Alien fan, I am not even going to pirate this game...

Like a bull's walt... Nostrovia's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Well, downloaded this to see if it's really as bad as everyone is saying... and.. I want my bandwidth and ratio back.
    "Sorry I tried to spit roast your mom."

Registered User porkchop sandwiches's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronne View Post
    Right, so everyone put in a refund request on Steam and you'll probably get your money back.
    If you ask for one do they actually honor it? First game I've ever pre-ordered on Steam and it's this piece of shit.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by stupidmonkey View Post
    Alien is totally doing the poop walk.

http://gifsound.com/?gif=http%3A%2F%...Gbknk&start=20

Tuconots
    Am disappoint. I guess I'll just wait another 10 years to see about getting a FPS on launch.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    I used to wish I could live forever. But the way things are going in this world.... can't wait for that 88th birthday to roll through.

Tuconots

This game is just fucking awful

Tuconots
    Its funny seeing Gearbox get absolutely cut to shreds in basically every thread of their official forums.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinrad View Post
    Its funny seeing Gearbox get absolutely cut to shreds in basically every thread of their official forums.
    Gamers: How many games is this for you, Gearbox?
    Gearbox: Thirty eight... simulated.
    Gamers: How many *good* games?
    Gearbox: Uh, two. Not including this one.
    Gamers: Shit.
    Sega: Oh, man...

Tuconots
    Yeah, but Gorman came through in the end when it mattered.

GB is Burke. Sega is WY.

Tuconots
    Best comparison I've seen yet - demo vs release.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Beef Supreme View Post
    He's right though. How Pitchford still, or ever, has a job is beyond me. DNF and now this. Come the fuck on.

I was really looking forward to this game. Fuck you Gearbox.
    He owns the company, there's nobody there that can fire him. Gearbox is the kind of developer that other, better developers throw their shitty work too, half finished games, expansion packs and ports. They fluked out with Borderlands but even with those games you can still see that they kinda suck.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
    Best comparison I've seen yet - demo vs release.
    Holy Jesus.

Where's my money Leo?
    Tuconots
    Haha more shit from kotaku.

Aliens: Colonial Marines is a bad game, by most accounts. Reviewers have almost all trashed it, fans don't seem to like it, and the final product looks nothing like the impressive demo that developer Gearbox showed last year.

So how did it happen? Although the full picture isn't quite clear yet, over the past few days we've heard that the six-year development process for Aliens: Colonial Marines was tumultuous and divisive, a product of multiple studios with conflicting visions. And it shows in the resulting game.

According to one person familiar with the project who spoke to Kotaku under condition of anonymity, Gearbox outsourced the bulk of Colonial Marines (codenamed Pecan) to a studio called TimeGate, most recently responsible for the shooter Section 8 and its sequel.

This comes on the heels of a massive Reddit post that's been making the rounds today from someone claiming to work at Gearbox. Although we can't confirm that the Reddit post is credible, everything we've heard from our source matches up.

The Redditor said TimeGate left the single-player campaign in "a pretty horrid state," and that last September after Borderlands 2 shipped, Gearbox was unhappy with what TimeGate had left them. Sega was already upset with Gearbox for asking for multiple extensions since the project launched in 2006, so Gearbox had to buckle down and release a game they knew wasn't going to be very good, the Redditor said.

The post on Reddit matches what our source has told us, but there's more. When TimeGate took over the project, our source said, they threw out most of what Gearbox had done beforehand. All of the art and design that Gearbox had produced during the previous four years was gone.

So from 2010 until late last year, while Gearbox was working on Borderlands 2 (internally codenamed "Willow 2"), TimeGate handled the bulk of development on Aliens. A small team at Gearbox helped out with multiplayer work, as explained by both our source and the Redditor, but TimeGate built the single-player campaign.

In late 2012, when Gearbox saw what TimeGate had done, most of their developers weren't interested in taking the game back, our source said. Gearbox's team was upset that their work had been thrown out, and they didn't want this to be a repeat of Duke Nukem Forever, a game that took over a decade to develop until it was finally finished by Gearbox and released in mid-2011 to tepid response.

But Gearbox had to finish the game, and according to our source, they had to throw out much of TimeGate's work and start from scratch. This lines up with what the Redditor claims:

Campaign didn't make much sense, the boss fights weren't implemented, PS3 was way over memory, etcetcetc. GBX was pretty unhappy with TG's work, and some of Campaign maps were just completely redesigned from scratch. There were some last minute feature requests, most notably female marines, and the general consensus among GBX devs was that there was no way this game was going to be good by ship. There just wasn't enough time.

Considering that SEGA was pretty close to taking legal action against GBX, asking for an extension wasn't an option, and so Pecan crash-landed through certification and shipping. Features that were planned were oversimplified, or shoved in (a good example of this are challenges, which are in an incredibly illogical order). Issues that didn't cause 100% blockers were generally ignored, with the exception of absolutely horrible problems. This isn't because GBX didn't care, mind you. At a certain point, they couldn't risk changing ANYTHING that might cause them to fail certification or break some other system. And so, the product you see is what you get.

People at Gearbox knew the bad reviews were coming, our source said. They knew that the game wasn't good.

We've reached out to Gearbox, but they would not comment on the record. However, in a recent interview with IGN, Gearbox head Randy Pitchford said that TimeGate handled development "probably about 20 or 25 percent of the total time," and that "if you take preproduction out of it, their effort's probably equivalent to ours. Now, it's not fair to take preproduction out of it, but that says a lot about how much horsepower those guys put into it."

Pitchford's statements also seem to match up with what we've heard.

We reached out to TimeGate this afternoon, but they have yet to get back to us. We'll continue to update as we hear more.

Tuconots
    Why the hell would they outsource games like this when they've been working on them for so long? Why would they tackle more games while working on other games concurrently?

Tuconots
    Shitty management?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuriin View Post
    Why the hell would they outsource games like this when they've been working on them for so long? Why would they tackle more games while working on other games concurrently?
    $.

They outsourced the DLC for BL 1/2, too.

Where's my money Leo?
    Tuconots
    Because they took on aliens before they released borderlands. After bl was a hit I am sure they wanted to start developing bl2 right away since it would actually make them money due it being their own IP. I believe the reddit poster mentioned that they weren't going to make any money off of ACM at some point.

Tuconots
    The worst part of it (well, one of them) is that as I plod my way through this travesty in an attempt to at least get $20 or so worth of gaming out of it before I trade it in... You can see the shell (at times) of what could have been a great game. Some of the areas and missions have so much potential, and you can see that somewhere, someone on the dev team had at least a few good ideas.

The sewer mission (where that ridiculous I_Have_To_take_A_Shit_Alien_002 .gif is coming from) is a perfect example of horrible execution on a great idea. Halfway through it, as if it couldn't get any worse, you run across another marine (you have no weapons at the time) on the other side of a gate. Instead of, you know, giving you a gun or something, the dialog goes:

Marine: "Hey"
    You: "Hey Yourself"
    Marine: "Good talk."

And then he mumbles something and runs off. I can't imagine that someone during whatever beta/test process they have didn't look around the room and say "Wow guys, this is completely fucking stupid". Oh, and how do you kill the blind aliens? You turn on steam pumps that magically make them explode. (wtf?) There are TONS of moments like that in this game. Nearly everything that can suck about a game does suck about this game, and the fact that it has little tiny glimmers of awesome here and there just rubs salt in the wound.

If this was some new IP it would be easier to stomach, but this is Aliens. Aliens! For fuck's sake.

Tuconots
    I think it's been long enough, we can remake this as well.
    Draegan's a faggot.

Thread Information