Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Path of Exile--Rerolled guild (IGN: Harfle for invites)

Tuconots

Path of Exile--Rerolled guild (IGN: Harfle for invites)

Name list:
    Azerth= Azeking lvl 33 duelist
    Hateyou = Naika_Hatesyou
    Pasteton=Kazoraa (Default)
    Tuco=Tucow (Default)
    rush02112=74 LA Marauder (Default) MrFrost 70 support wander w/ conduit (Default)
    Tonic=Yewarecrazy (low ranger)
    Ryanz=Ryanz (hardcore)
    Venijk=Venijk
    zhakrin=Astifas 49 ranger
    Krassus =Sussark
    Insomnia=Kendek
    Last edited by Etwynn; 11-21-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Tuconots
    These are the different leagues in PoE:

Hardcore

Typically, “hardcore mode” in action RPGs involves permadeath. A character killed in this mode cannot be accessed any more. In Path of Exile, slain hardcore characters revert to the parent non-hardcore league. This system encourages non-hardcore players to try the hardcore game mode, while still permanently removing hardcore characters from the economy when they die.

Ironman

In Ironman, players are unable to trade with vendors or refill their flasks in town. Mana regeneration is disabled by default. Players are encouraged to band together and manage their resources in order to survive.

Cut-throat

The cut-throat leagues appeal to the niche of players who demand the most hardcore gaming experience possible. In this mode, all world areas are public, with full PvP enabled by default. Slain characters drop all their items upon death. This game mode can also be combined with Hardcore to create an even more unforgiving world.

Attrition

An attrition league is a short duration league that starts with a fixed number of players and eliminates the player with the lowest amount of experience at periodic intervals. For example, a 24 hour attrition league might start with 100 players and eliminate one player per 12 minutes after a four hour initial leveling period. Players would be able to see how close to elimination they are on an on-screen ladder display.

On a side note. I'm experimenting trying to make a witch summoner. I'm gonna pick up all the +minion skills, and also shoot for Minion Instability (the one that makes minions explode and deal aoe fire dmg when low on life). Anyone have experience with such a build and how well does it work? I've always been a pet class type person...so I wanted to create something revolving around that.
    Last edited by Ryanz; 12-07-2012 at 04:24 AM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanz View Post

Hardcore

Typically, “hardcore mode” in action RPGs involves permadeath. A character killed in this mode cannot be accessed any more. In Path of Exile, slain hardcore characters revert to the parent non-hardcore league. This system encourages non-hardcore players to try the hardcore game mode, while still permanently removing hardcore characters from the economy when they die.

Ironman

In Ironman, players are unable to trade with vendors or refill their flasks in town. Mana regeneration is disabled by default. Players are encouraged to band together and manage their resources in order to survive.

Cut-throat

The cut-throat leagues appeal to the niche of players who demand the most hardcore gaming experience possible. In this mode, all world areas are public, with full PvP enabled by default. Slain characters drop all their items upon death. This game mode can also be combined with Hardcore to create an even more unforgiving world.

Attrition

An attrition league is a short duration league that starts with a fixed number of players and eliminates the player with the lowest amount of experience at periodic intervals. For example, a 24 hour attrition league might start with 100 players and eliminate one player per 12 minutes after a four hour initial leveling period. Players would be able to see how close to elimination they are on an on-screen ladder display.

On a side note. I'm experimenting trying to make a witch summoner. I'm gonna pick up all the +minion skills, and also shoot for Minion Instability (the one that makes minions explode and deal aoe fire dmg when low on life). Anyone have experience with such a build and how well does it work? I've always been a pet class type person...so I wanted to create something revolving around that.
    Holy shit those leagues sound absurdly awesome.

If PvP is any good in this game, cut-throat is definitely going to attract some serious PvPers just by nature of how hardcore it is.

Tuconots
    Loving this game so far, been messing around with a elemental templar and chaos innoculation shadow. Gonna be playing a lot more once open beta begins.

Tuconots
    They have had hardcore implemented for a while. They also have the weekly ladder things going..pretty kick ass.

Tuconots
    They are having a turbo group event this afternoon and a solo turbo event I believe tomorrow. Turbo is basically a setting where the mobs in the game move and attack at a 60% increased rate.

Tuconots
    Once the game goes live, there will be options to make your own personal league, it will cost money, but someone can buy and make their own league and invite who ever to it

Tuconots
    Ryanz ~

I haven't seen anyone do that type of build yet. I did watch Kripp do a range totem build last night that was fun though. I think it was Lightning arrow/Chain/Pierce and it was just destroying everything. There are gonna be a lot of fun totem/minion builds to experiment with.

Tuconots
    is the cut-throat league in yet?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasto View Post
    Ryanz ~

I haven't seen anyone do that type of build yet. I did watch Kripp do a range totem build last night that was fun though. I think it was Lightning arrow/Chain/Pierce and it was just destroying everything. There are gonna be a lot of fun totem/minion builds to experiment with.
    Yea I don't know a ton about how everything works...but with my build I'm thinking of attaching summon skeleton with a totem, so I only have to cast the totem once (per fight)...and then it can summon the skellies for me instead of having to click 3+ times to get all the minions up. Then I can focus my attention on my AoE spells. I dunno will see how it all plays out.

Tuconots
    has the battle animations gotten any better, i felt like i was playing D1 with those spell animations and combat

Tuconots
    if you want to see the gameplay and basically listen to theorycrafting you can check out this stream. http://www.twitch.tv/nl_Kripp

Tuconots
    I just put down a quick $10 to check it out. Gogo team NZ!

Tuconots
    nvm i figured it out, whos actually playing this? i remember the start to be painfully slow and boring. but cut-throat caught my eye....

post ingame handles here
    Last edited by TecKnoe; 12-08-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Tuconots
    Have they discussed a release date? I just start reading about this game a few days ago, the customization with that giant skill plane full of words and the armor and weapon system is extremely appealing and interesting, I can't think of any other game that I've played with such a system. Right now I'm signed up on their website and waiting to be invited to the beta, I did notice that they recently pushed the open beta date back past the holiday season, which I suppose is a good move... But yeah lol, I want to give it a try!

Tuconots
    I had a bit of a go over the weekend on hardcore. Was allot harder than D3 was on HC.

Starts off slow, but ramps up a fair bit. Really feels allot more like D2 IMO.

Tuconots
    Playing Etwynn and Etwhynn on hardcore. Highest char atm is only lvl 17.

Hit me up.

Tuconots
    I have not heard any talk of when the expected release date is. I know that you can pay $10 and get into closed beta now. That money also gives you credits to use when the game goes live. The game is going to be f2p, not p2w. Basically you will either be able to buy more character slots or inventory tabs. There won't be content or item restriction in the game. They also occasionally send out beta keys to people who are already in beta. A lot of the guys that stream on Twitch give out said keys. If I get some more I will post here. So basically the options right now are wait for an email, pay to get in, someone gives you one of their extra keys or wait until Jan 23rd for the open beta to start.

On that note, I am hoping the closed beta receives access to act 3 before open beta starts up. Would be nice to test that out before the servers get rocked.

Tuconots
    I have 3 keys, PM me for one. First come first serve.

Edit: All given out
    Last edited by Venijk; 12-11-2012 at 03:45 AM.

Tuconots
    I've been the watching the streams today alongside football. It seems like a ton of fun. I also love that f2p not p2w model, allowing people to pay for flashy cosmetic stuff is great for everyone and keeping it limited to that would be best. I really hope that the model works out, I'm not aware of many f2p games and how they work but I can only assume that it's easy for the developers and publishers to quickly turn it into p2w when they realize what it would do to their revenue stream.

Tuconots
    It will go open beta (no more wipes) on Jan 23rd 2013

Source

Tuconots
    So my lightning witch died and i rerolled to ice and things are going much more smoothly. I'm about level 21 now. If anyone else is playing hc, hit me up. Same name as forum handle.

Tuconots
    HC is the only way to play.

2hander Templar using sweep during the early levels is pretty OP.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    HC is the only way to play.

2hander Templar using sweep during the early levels is pretty OP.
    Can be OP in the later levels too, but it does have weaknesses (to maximise damage you will end up with 75% of your sweep damage as elemental, making elemental reflect packs impossible to sweep).

On another note: It is very easy to build a character that will not work in the highest level content. There is some useful information regarding character building, but until you actually test things for yourself you wont know what is good advice and what is not. For example: I know Kripp is popular but his builds only work because he just farms easy content over and over. My advice would be to play a few characters to high level in the default league first, before playing hardcore. Then you will know how to build characters that can actually do the highest level content.

Tuconots

The damage from MI is scaled by both minion life and minion damage passives (and supports). MI is not improved by your spell/fire damage, although the damage dealt is fire. You want to pickup most of the minion passives. After that just add defenses, which ideally would be CI and ES passives. Personally, I would take CI somewhere between levels 45 and 65.

If you are using skeletons then put them on a spell totem. The have very little life so you end up with a totem that summons suicide bombers.

Give your zombies a life leech support as well as their minion supports. You may also want to run Vitality aura for them. Some people like rejuvenation totem for them, but I find the range is too small. Damage auras can also help your zombies.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Flank View Post
    Can be OP in the later levels too, but it does have weaknesses (to maximise damage you will end up with 75% of your sweep damage as elemental, making elemental reflect packs impossible to sweep).

On another note: It is very easy to build a character that will not work in the highest level content. There is some useful information regarding character building, but until you actually test things for yourself you wont know what is good advice and what is not. For example: I know Kripp is popular but his builds only work because he just farms easy content over and over. My advice would be to play a few characters to high level in the default league first, before playing hardcore. Then you will know how to build characters that can actually do the highest level content.
    There are ways to counter the elemental reflect packs as well using sweep. This has been done.

As you said, you can easily find many fun and different builds on the forums, but it takes playing the game to see what actually works.

As far as Kripp goes, I will come off as a fanboy with this, but he doesn't only farm easy mobs. He actually tries to break most of his builds to find the best one for end game. Which at this point is difficult to do without access to a3. I believe the highest lvl HC char right now is lvl 85 and is only able to farm lvl 65 content. So, it makes it difficult to test end game builds.

Other streamers you can watch are Kungen or TotalBiscuit (I believe that's his name). It is good to see multiple viewpoints on builds. But as you said, test them yourself.

Tuconots
    Figured I would post up a couple of useful links for those starting out or just anybody who wants easy access to the information. The first link is for the google doc that has the quest reward spreadsheet. The 2nd is just the vendor recipe wiki. I am still trying to find some detailed sources for stat calculations, something encompassing armor/evasion calculations as well as elemental/phys dmg calculators, and I will post it here when I do.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...any=true#gid=0

http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Vendor_Recipes

Tuconots
    Did they ever add more pets skills? I know they added totems and traps the last time I checked, which sounded pretty cool but all they had was like zombies and skeletons for summons and that was pretty dull.

Also main complaint I had about this game is animations/how smooth combat is(or well how NOT smooth it is I guess). It feels very clunky. I don't really mind that it looks kinda old but it feels pretty old too, which is sad considering how interesting the content is in comparison. I don't know how to explain it but I found even D2 played better and that says nothing of more modern games like D3 or TL2, just wish they had put a bit more effort in the gameplay. I'll check open beta out though definitely.

Tuconots
    Died again at level ~25 in the pyramid.

Just leveled to level 7 in 30 minutes...at least it's getting faster. When I died, I saved some witch rares in my normal chest. If anyone wants them, send me a pm.

Tuconots
    This is the first day that I got to play and it's a ton of fun. I just heard about the game last week, I knew nothing about it before then. If anyone is on the fence or hasn't given it a try (and reads this thread), check it out for sure.

I'm playing a Marauder using Sweep mainly, it's going to be a ton of fun figuring out which builds to use and what is truly viable at high levels.

Tuconots
    The more I learn about this game and the way the abilities work the more interesting / addictive it gets. Got my new hardcore melee shadow to low 20's atm, doing my best to stay alive.

Not My Real Name
    Tuconots
    This is quite an interesting game to follow for people who like action RPGs. The skill system and the leagues that Ryanz mentions are awesome. The only problem I have (had?) with this game is that the graphics were a bit lackluster, but I haven't booted it up in a while, and from what I read they are working on improving it. This could well become a classic.

Tuconots
    I think that the graphics are fine tbh. Does it really look a lot worse to people than Diablo III or Torchlight II does? To me they all look pretty similar.

One think that I think they should work on are the controls, well it's either the controls or it's lag, or perhaps a combination of the two. Oftentimes it just feels a bit clunky to me, even when there isn't clear lag.

Anyway it's still an awesome game. I'm around level 30 (29 maybe?) and I assume near the end of Normal mode and ready to move into Nightmare. I'm playing on Hardcore as a Templar, originally I was playing a Marauder because that seemed like the Barbarian class but I ended up dying on him so I made the new character. Basically I'm still playing as a Marauder lol, all I've done is pick up the melee skills and use the same strategy which is basically run/jump into the middle of a pack and then sweep and spam potions until everything dies.

I'm torn as to what I'm going to do. I know that it's a hybrid class but from the skill gems that I've found I just don't see how most of them would be viable on the character. Firestorm was useful for a short time because I could cheese with it but the damage that it dealt fell behind quickly as I didn't focus on intelligence spheres at all.

Are you guys still playing your Templars? I'm still not sure how the elemental damage works (I assume you have to have it on the weapon itself), but I still seem to be doing fine up until this point with my Marauder-style sweep only strategy lol.

Last night I was in a place called the mansion or something like that, it's on the far right side of the Act 2 map, and it was full of casters along with totems nearby that buffed them or made them invincible. That was the hardest thing that I've run into thus far, I decided to town portal out once I went up about 3 levels because I didn't even have a quest there.

Tuconots
    My second (third?) iteration of my cold witch is up to 34ish now, just before cruel merv. I have enough gear to get full cold resist (75%) but the gear still needs to be slotted/linked. I guess I'll be farming orbs of fusing for a while...

Some more useful references:
    http://www.pathofexile.com/item-data/currency
    http://www.pathofexile.com/item-data/weapon

etc http://www.pathofexile.com/item-data
    Last edited by Etwynn; 12-14-2012 at 07:33 AM.

Tuconots
    I haven't played in months, i'm a bit sad to see that act 3 is still missing, the map has not been reworked yet and the game still can't deal with more than 3 mouse buttons. The game is still fun though, kind of hilarious to think what a company like Blizzard came up with after more than 10 years, in comparison to this game, done by a pretty small indie studio.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by bytes View Post
    I haven't played in months, i'm a bit sad to see that act 3 is still missing, the map has not been reworked yet and the game still can't deal with more than 3 mouse buttons. The game is still fun though, kind of hilarious to think what a company like Blizzard came up with after more than 10 years, in comparison to this game, done by a pretty small indie studio.
    Ya seriously what did diablo do to make it stand out other then make their game a cashgrab with ah, so fail god im so mad i blew 60 dollars on that Pile of blizzard entertainment bs. last time I purchase anything related to their company.

Tuconots
    currency exchange: http://www.poeex.info/

Tuconots
    Lead developer Chris Wilson is doing an interview right now on twitch. he will be answering questions from the chat. http://www.twitch.tv/nl_Kripp

Tuconots
    ^^ Wow those Spark? totems seems pretty awesome.

I'm still playing my basically pure melee Templar and about to head into nightmare. Seems like I'm probably going to die in nightmare, probably to Merveil if I had to guess lol. After I die I'm not sure what to make, totems seem really powerful and I noticed them really close to my Templar's starting area so maybe I'll give the totem thing a shot.

Tuconots
    Bring cold resist rings to fight merivil with, the highest ones you can find or buy from the vendor, also there is a cutthroat league event monday I guess from what I heard on the stream.
    We should all try to do some of these events that you can have party's in would be pretty entertaining for a few hours see who is still surviving if anyone lol.

Tuconots
    I tried this like half a year ago (before D3) and dismissed it quickly because I didnt like the visual style and inventory management. Were there any changes that make it worth another look?

Tuconots
    Neither the art direction nor the inventory have changed, so if you dismissed the game for these reasons, you won't like it better now.

Has someone here ever played a summoner witch? Supposedly it's a very strong and easy going build, but it feels incredibly slow and even at level 30 my minions die easily to any sorts of strong boss aoe. Bosses in general are kind of a pain with minions, maybe it'll be better once i get the corpse explosion.

Tuconots
    At lower levels, healing flasks of animation will really help with zombies. Just use 2 flasks and drink one them every 10 seconds and your zombies will stay alive (except against really tough bosses).

Tuconots
    Does anyone want to party with me for the HC turbo race today? PM me

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Ames View Post
    Does anyone want to party with me for the HC turbo race today? PM me
    I would but its a Solo only race

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash80 View Post
    I would but its a Solo only race
    Its not. http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/59491

Tuconots
    Oh wtf, Its the 16th there already I guess? Haha you are right.

Tuconots
    That was yesterday. The post dates are in NZ time. Today's is a solo:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/59492

Tuconots
    ya damn new zelanders !!

Tuconots
    cuthroat league starting in 3 minutes

Registered User Kid Sized Coffin's Avatar
    Tuconots
    I like this game but holy crap it feels like hardly anything has changed since this thread was posted on FoH.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Sized Coffin View Post
    I like this game but holy crap it feels like hardly anything has changed since this thread was posted on FoH.
    Actually the skill grid thing has changed radically and they added a new "class" and a bunch of new skills like traps and totems which add a lot of combos with other gems. Unless you mean since the last post on FoH which was only like 2weeks ago so that's fairly obvious. But yeah other than that, which is quite a bit, I don't think a whole lot has changed. They need to finish Act3 already.

Tuconots
    http://www.twitch.tv/nl_kripp streaming the cutthroat race. pretty hilarious how he's just stomping other people in like 1 or 2 hits with some teleport move. seems quite unbalanced.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by balroc View Post
    http://www.twitch.tv/nl_kripp streaming the cutthroat race. pretty hilarious how he's just stomping other people in like 1 or 2 hits with some teleport move. seems quite unbalanced.
    I was in tears watching that. He was just destroying everybody and having a silly ass time. The 2 guys that were ahead of him on the ladder made it that far because they left that zone. lol

Registered User Kid Sized Coffin's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyros View Post
    Actually the skill grid thing has changed radically and they added a new "class" and a bunch of new skills like traps and totems which add a lot of combos with other gems. Unless you mean since the last post on FoH which was only like 2weeks ago so that's fairly obvious. But yeah other than that, which is quite a bit, I don't think a whole lot has changed. They need to finish Act3 already.
    I just expected changes to be much faster for a game at this stage of development. The skill tree rearrangement must have taken a lot of work. It was surprising to see act 3 unfinished as well. Are they doing a lot of fine-tuning balance changes? Seems like a waste of time if they are.

Tuconots
    Act 3 is pretty much finished, from my understanding. They are doing another round of Alpha invites and then it will be pushed out for OB on Jan 23.

Chris did say that they are still doing some fine tuning to some of the skills.

Tuconots
    They aren't a massive studio by any means either

Tuconots
    Here is the Google doc for the Mod Compendium:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...1b0FGbkE#gid=1

Tuconots
    Hc party race today anybody want to party up for it?

hit me up IGN:TheBlade

Tuconots
    Regarding flicker strike.. things change at higher levels. Clearly flicker and beartrap being very OP for low lvls right now.

Diablo 2 was like this tho. Don't look for balance. Look for ways to counter it. Team dynamics add to the meta game.

Very excited about this game. It doesn't look triple A or anything, but it has its own feel to it. The development and implementation of things, especially character building and theorycrafting is amazing beyond words.

To whoever was asking about summoner, it is extremely viable.

Save up your blessed orbs, chaos orbs, all that tradeskilling stuff that improves quality of gems, items and flasks too. They trade for legendaries. When you're suited up in full legendaries yourself... you'll see why these are so valuable. Great trading system so far. We even saw a legendary in trade that's effect was "copy another item". Holy shit :P. I was so excited for them to put in something that a "big gaming company" would say "great idea, but too unpredictable, threatens the vision".
    DoTA 2 / Dark Souls 3 / Lurking P99 / D3 Profile

Waiting for Shadow Bane Emu to finish

Tuconots
    The more time I've been putting into the character, the more I'm enjoying this game. There are so many builds that I want to try out, esp in hardcore cutthroat. They did confirm that it makes all zones public. It's going to be a nuthouse day 1. I hope this league goes in during open beta (Jan 23rd).

Legendaries are what they are supposed to be out of the bag here. Some even give you the chance to spec around the entire item. Submitted for your approval, this low level bow has the fastest attack speed in the game. There is a spec based on just adding tons of elemental damage to your attacks that you can go that makes this thing crazy. See about 2:15 into this.

Picked this one up for my summoner, inb4 any boots I've seen have a chance to have extra movespeed as a random stat:

You can summon dead enemies that previously gave auras or cast curses for you as spectres and their summoned versions provide their auras to you and your minions.

For 10$ give this one a chance (give it a few nights of playing to get into it) if you're bored. Anyone who enjoys character building can trace around the passives tree and come up with fun yet viable ideas.

Also, if your char does die in any of the hardcore modes, it gets transferred to the default league. A great way to encourage getting players into at least trying hardcore if you ask me.

Will try to answer any Q's to the best of my ability if anyone's stuck.
    Last edited by Nirgon; 12-20-2012 at 03:06 PM.

Tuconots
    I believe that cutthroat leagues will be an event only thing, but I do know that you can pay to make your own league and make it whatever you want to, and invite whoever you want to said league.

Tuconots
    Hope the league can be made public

Tuconots
    As of right now the cut throat league is event only. But that, I believe Chris said, is only until they can figure out a good way to implement it fully. As of right now they just want to finish the 3rd act and the balance/test the current skillsets and gear. They still have to see how the servers are going to perform once it goes into open beta. They have been throwing bots at the servers to stress test them, but that only goes so far.

A ton of people are loving the cut throat events. And I think most of us would love to see it made public ladder. But they would need to address many issues to properly implement it and I think it is wise of them to focus on the rest of the game first. The development team's sense of priority is awesome. I wish more teams would take that outlook and focus on polishing needed things rather than splitting their focus and trying to implement too much at once, often times resulting in half assed portions of the game.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasto View Post
    As of right now the cut throat league is event only. But that, I believe Chris said, is only until they can figure out a good way to implement it fully. As of right now they just want to finish the 3rd act and the balance/test the current skillsets and gear. They still have to see how the servers are going to perform once it goes into open beta. They have been throwing bots at the servers to stress test them, but that only goes so far.

A ton of people are loving the cut throat events. And I think most of us would love to see it made public ladder. But they would need to address many issues to properly implement it and I think it is wise of them to focus on the rest of the game first. The development team's sense of priority is awesome. I wish more teams would take that outlook and focus on polishing needed things rather than splitting their focus and trying to implement too much at once, often times resulting in half assed portions of the game.
    yeah, the game seems imbalanced as fuck for pvp but it also looks pretty hilarious, in a good way, the way it is now. only reason i`d play this game is cutthroat.

Tuconots
    Anybody going to participate in the 1 week race? I haven't decided if I am going to yet. They are starting on the 24th and I have a ton of family obligations over the next week. The rewards are pretty cool though.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/61016

Tuconots
    People are fairly good at these races now. If you have no practice or cannot put in 8 hours a day you wont rank high enough to get the good rewards. To give you an idea, people will be hitting level 40 in 3 hours or so.

Tuconots
    I've just started playing and god damn! So many builds. Have done some reading up on + friends explaining a few things to me. I can sit and make builds all day.. can't wait for this game to release. Glad I got some time to dick around before then, though

Tuconots
    Just got this and 5-6 hours later I'm 25 (on default server).

I don't see how someone could get 40 in 3 hours. Is there some OP build? I played a marauder the whole time and melee does not seem like the win; the stupid crabs/bugs walk under you all the time, not to mention abilities firing at the air and not the mob infront of you.

I can definitely see what people were saying about sweep. With all the targetting issues I get lazy and spam it sometimes, even with just 2 mobs.

Playing this game just makes me sad that D3 couldn't have been more creative with the classes / skill trees.
    Steam: Budos
    PSN: VTBudos

Tuconots
    I think any D3 defenders clearly did not play this or Torchlight. Trying them first, really highlighted just how devoid of any creativity, or understanding of the genre D3 was.

Tuconots
    There are many builds that can level quickly, a ground slam marauder has a slight edge early on, but other builds compete with it.

You are level 25 in 6 hours because you just got the game and probably played through the zones sequentially. Levelling fast requires knowledge and practice. You run straight through some zones to arrive under levelled at the good zones (xp/minute) and run those ones several times (ctrl click to reset instance). You dont waste time looting etc, as you only need a few key items.

I am not even good at levelling fast, but I can get to 25 in two hours. Some people have been running these race events for a year, and they are very good at them.

Tuconots
    Also important to mention but 3hours races good players will use builds you generally wouldn't use to maximize killing speed. While you could recover with some to a decent build, some are pretty much fucked for endgame.

Been playing this these past few days, I still wish there were a lot more skills as I feel I'm pretty limited in my choices at the moment, sure you can modify the skills with support gems and run many different variation of the same main skill build based on how you do defenses or wether or not you stack auras and so on but for example, there's only a handful if that of fire spells and most of them are inadequate to spam/use on a caster so you either spam fireball(which sucks but that's a balance issue) or firestorm. And because fireball sucks, there's only really one major fire witch build which is firestorm spam then you have variations of that. It's a bit similar for cold and lightning, each have 2 main builds(spark and arc, freezing blast and ice spear). Wish there were more spells for each category. The cool thing about their systems is it's very easy to add new skills without fucking people over, just hope they'll add a bunch in the open beta patch.

I like the new passive tree though, it feels a lot better than it used to, you don't need too many points to go all around the grid and grab major passives on the other side if you want to do a weird build, so you can really do cool stuff, as long as you use certain paths. Also a large amount of passives have a unique which has the property so you can instead use gear to make fun builds so that's great.

Tuconots
    Never played this before, but Ive checked out a few videos, and holy shit, Im throwing my wallet at my screen.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwinks View Post
    Never played this before, but Ive checked out a few videos, and holy shit, Im throwing my wallet at my screen.
    Well "launch", which they decided to call open beta is next month but you can spend 10$ right now to get into the closed beta and play. Those 10$ will give you 10$ worth of F2P money once the game launches, which you can use to buy stash tabs, so it's not wasted money even if closed beta is over soon. You could try finding an invite but I don't think they give invites much anymore, don't know though. Playing on a friend's account and he only ever got one invite a long time ago, and he's been in beta in a while.

Tuconots
    Ah, well thanks for the heads up. I may just pay now, only 10 dollars, I haven't bought anything on the Steam sales and fuck I threw 60 at D3. Plus I'm a student on holiday break so now is the time to game.

Ill hold out for a few hours just incase anyone sees this and wants to throw out an invite

Tuconots
    Pretty much same as Lemmi. This game looks like exactly what I've been looking for.

Nirgon, I saw you post about HC D2 PVP and wanted to echo what you had said about it. I had dueling barbs for the first few ladders of 1.10 and the feeling in your gut when you were in combat with someone worthwhile has never been surpassed in a game before or after. There was also that classic noise that accompanied somebody going hostile that would always send a chill down my spine. You'd be leveling some alt in a Baal game and you'd hear that noise and for a split second you'd just have to just pray you weren't about to get pelted with TPPK.

Tuconots
    The game was worth $10 a year ago. You wont regret spending that on it now. It is not perfect, but you will get at least a few hours out of it, if not a lot more.

Tuconots
    I signed up for beta access almost a year ago and they finally sent me an invite about a week ago. I'm still interested, but I'm not sure if it's going to be worth the time it takes to download the (4 gig) installer. I can see in the FAQ that they're pretty vague about hardware requirements. They say that it runs on everyday laptops. They don't say what exactly they consider an everyday laptop though.

tl;dr: Has anyone found PoE to be playable on a shitty laptop, and if so, what were your system specs?

Tuconots
    To new players...just remember that when you first start out...things are going to feel a little weird. The animations and movement take a little bit of time to get used to...not to mention when you first start the game, combat and the entire pace of the game is really slow. I was put off at first like many others have been, but if you stick with it the game it really starts to shine as you dive into the complexities of the passive tree, and combat starts to accelerate as you get higher level. So don't give up on it early...at least get to level 30ish before passing judgement imo.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Melvin View Post
    I signed up for beta access almost a year ago and they finally sent me an invite about a week ago. I'm still interested, but I'm not sure if it's going to be worth the time it takes to download the (4 gig) installer. I can see in the FAQ that they're pretty vague about hardware requirements. They say that it runs on everyday laptops. They don't say what exactly they consider an everyday laptop though.

tl;dr: Has anyone found PoE to be playable on a shitty laptop, and if so, what were your system specs?
    It will run like absolute shit without a decent graphics card. I can run it at a steady 60 fps on a 560, but some zones are pretty unplayable on an old 7950.

Tuconots
    It will run like absolute shit without a decent graphics card. I can run it at a steady 60 fps on a 560, but some zones are pretty unplayable on an old 7950.
    Thanks for the feedback, does it feel like the FAQ was just totally full of shit about it being playable on a laptop at all then? I mean, does the game have texture and/or lighting detail settings that can be turned down? Are "small" resolutions sceens (i.e. 1024 x 600 or 800 x 600) available? I appreciate your input, but I've also got portable computers in mind specifically.

Tuconots
    Thanks for the feedback, does it feel like the FAQ was just totally full of shit about it being playable on a laptop at all then? I mean, does the game have texture and/or lighting detail settings that can be turned down? Are "small" resolutions sceens (i.e. 1024 x 600 or 800 x 600) available? I appreciate your input, but I've also got portable computers in mind specifically.
    You can turn off some stuff, especially shadows which apparently are big on GPU, but don't know how it's gonna run though, there's some people playing it on laptops but there's quite a lot of difference between a "gaming" laptop and a normal one so don't know. You could just check to be honest, unless you're australian 4gb shouldn't be an issue, it might take a while if your connection is shit but it doesn't cost anything.

Tuconots

5870 card, 4gb ram, ssd, and black edition 970 at 3.8ghz. Runs like a dream at 1080 res (nearly completed act2), shadows turned off, a they look shite. No idea what laptop specs that comes near, but should give an idea.

Tuconots
    There are many builds that can level quickly, a ground slam marauder has a slight edge early on, but other builds compete with it.

You are level 25 in 6 hours because you just got the game and probably played through the zones sequentially. Levelling fast requires knowledge and practice. You run straight through some zones to arrive under levelled at the good zones (xp/minute) and run those ones several times (ctrl click to reset instance). You dont waste time looting etc, as you only need a few key items.

I am not even good at levelling fast, but I can get to 25 in two hours. Some people have been running these race events for a year, and they are very good at them.
    Totally what I did for a first run through.

I can see the min/maxing for xp. Even a little run speed and you can jam through any area without trouble. Hopefully I can figure out a couple things to feel comfortable competing in a ladder race. Is 1-50 rushable?

Tuconots
    You wont get playable performance on a shitty card just by turning down the ingame options. Most of the act 1 zones might be okay, but when you get into the forst you will go down to <5 fps or worse. Depending on your graphics chip you might be able to really turn down the graphics in your driver software, but even then I would not bother on a machine without a decent graphics card.

Tuconots
    There is some info around about the best way to do it. There is even a google spreadsheet somewhere detailing average zone xp per minute. You can rush until you outlevel the Ledge in merciless. I find act 2 merciless a bit hard to rush, so I would just do felshrine instead in merciless.

You're super fast xp zones are the Ledge and Western Forest. Felshrine is easy but not as fast. You ideally want to hit a good zone when you wont get an xp penalty there.

XP penalty and drop rate penalty are different. For xp it is 3 + (yourlevel / 16). So at level 16 it is 4, at level 32 it is 5, etc. Drop penalty tends to just be within 2 levels of you.

Tuconots
    Watch this stream if you want to see a top level group (that will probably win this race) compete in the 1 week hardcore race that is starting in less then an hour:

http://www.twitch.tv/nl_kripp

Tuconots
    Watch this stream if you want to see a top level group (that will probably win this race) compete in the 1 week hardcore race that is starting in less then an hour:

http://www.twitch.tv/nl_kripp
    What's the over/under on how many of the guys in Kripp's group of six will die before the week is up?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by muiy View Post
    What's the over/under on how many of the guys in Kripp's group of six will die before the week is up?
    Well one of them died already. Thing though is in a one week race, it's not a big deal if you die unless you die in the last ~3days or so. Other than that you have plenty of time to reroll and if you banked some stuff it'll go faster. I learned a few things about how to level faster, skipping some zones, rushing more and stuff but the one thing I noticed is the game looks noticeably easier in a group than solo, especially the bosses. Merveil splitting her dmg all around the room makes a pretty big difference vs having to face tank her attacks, even with 75%cold resist. Unless you have freeze immunity it's a pretty shitty fight.

Tuconots
    Kripp's group wont even get close to winning. Panda will win (if he races), followed by Mouze. There are a few others that usually do well. Kripp is still new at this game, and there are dozens of guys with a lot more practice.

I did not go for this race as it was a 3am start on christmas eve for me. Also, I am waiting for act 3 since they ruined the alch recipe (and act 3 has an alch vendor).

Meh, I just checked the list and none of the usual suspects are racing.
    Last edited by Flank; 12-24-2012 at 09:02 AM.

Tuconots
    who all is playing this? we should get a group of people together and just.. run through see how far and what we can do, not the race but just either normal or a HC toons

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by atalakas View Post
    who all is playing this? we should get a group of people together and just.. run through see how far and what we can do, not the race but just either normal or a HC toons
    I'm definitely down to run with some bros, but I'm still in the learning phase. Spent a while digesting the wiki info last night to get a better grip on things; watched some streaming of the race last night as well.

I'd like to do some practice runs if anyone else is interested.

Tuconots
    Kripp's group wont even get close to winning. Panda will win (if he races), followed by Mouze. There are a few others that usually do well. Kripp is still new at this game, and there are dozens of guys with a lot more practice.

I did not go for this race as it was a 3am start on christmas eve for me. Also, I am waiting for act 3 since they ruined the alch recipe (and act 3 has an alch vendor).

Meh, I just checked the list and none of the usual suspects are racing.

Have to disagree....there might be folks that have been playing for a long time but Kripp has played this game for 8 hours a day for the last 2 weeks straight. Leveled multiple 60+ characters and theory-crafted the shit out of this game. Pretty sure he has a great shot at winning.

Currently he's #1 by a few levels......shrug

Tuconots
    Couple questions about the racing strategies.

Are the racing builds effective for really late game play, like 80+? Or do they build racing characters to be effective early and mid game, but not for end game?

Also, is there a forum/post/website that highlights some of areas to level in that are most effective? I was looking on the POE forums and reddit but there is either not a lot of info or I missed where it was being talked about. I could understand if some of the best information is hush hush but I was more or less just looking for a general place to start.
    Last edited by DeLLy; 12-24-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Tuconots
    Meh, Kripp got to level 61 on day 1, that is pretty good. It isn't the best I have seen, though. The guys who usually win these things are pretty crazy, they theorycrafted it to the extreme that they install the game on ramdisks (virtual partitions in memory) for faster load times, etc. Still, 61 is in the right ballpark on day 1. Highest I recall seeing in 1 week is level 81, so we will see how Kripp compares.

Don't worry about builds losing effectiveness. My standard builds do massive respecs at higher levels. You can just go run all the sidequests quickly for 16 respec points, trae in some chances for regrets etc.

Edit: the grind kicks in around 78 btw. If you save up enough good maps you can put it off to 79, but at that point levelling will really slow down, as you just cannot sustain good map drops.
    Last edited by Flank; 12-24-2012 at 08:55 PM.

Tuconots
    They theorycrafted a team build I believe, he has like a wand templar with power siphon and conduit(gives power charges to every allies around) so I assume the other people in his group also do. As said though, you have rare drops Orbs of Regret that give you a full respec and you get a bunch of respec points if your spec isn't too bad and you can rework it with only a few removal, so it's no big deal. Because of that, it might be a good idea to dump heavily into defensive skills at first to get a good buffer for HC deaths, and then remove some of it if you don't need it anymore(for example life nodes before you take CI).

As for the zones to grind, based on what kripp was doing, it's The Ledge(the zone after the underground passage with a bunch of skeletons), West Forest(suicide zombies and whatever) and Fellshrine ruins(tons of slow moving undead). I'm not too sure why these specific ones are chosen besides Fellshrine which is obvious though, the Ledge doesn't seem particularly heavily populated and it kinda sucks if using a fire build(but then again most top builds aren't fire cause shock and freeze are better than burning) and West Forest doesn't make any particular sense, do suicide zombie mobs give xp when they die? I assumed only if you kill them, not if they suicide, which would be pretty shitty xp actually. Doesn't really look any better than Crossroads or hell Fellshrine which seems to be about the same lvl iirc.

Been playing a char in that race just for fun, made a summoner, leveling slowly but don't really care just wanna have fun, the great thing imo about PoE vs TL2 or D3 is that Hardcore isn't as punishing. If you die in HC, your character gets transferred to softcore instead of being deleted(granted in TL2 you can tinker with the save files and just cancel the death but that sucks). So even if you die to pure bullshit like desync/lag, your time investment isn't completely wasted, you can still play the char, just not in HC anymore. I really like this system.

Tuconots
    i was playing a new maruder this morning doing a 2h sword+ fire ele spec, and it was funny seeing someone go shit.. i died, or wtf why is there such noob chat... oh hell i died. Good times to watch global

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyros View Post
    They theorycrafted a team build I believe, he has like a wand templar with power siphon and conduit(gives power charges to every allies around) so I assume the other people in his group also do. As said though, you have rare drops Orbs of Regret that give you a full respec and you get a bunch of respec points if your spec isn't too bad and you can rework it with only a few removal, so it's no big deal. Because of that, it might be a good idea to dump heavily into defensive skills at first to get a good buffer for HC deaths, and then remove some of it if you don't need it anymore(for example life nodes before you take CI).

As for the zones to grind, based on what kripp was doing, it's The Ledge(the zone after the underground passage with a bunch of skeletons), West Forest(suicide zombies and whatever) and Fellshrine ruins(tons of slow moving undead). I'm not too sure why these specific ones are chosen besides Fellshrine which is obvious though, the Ledge doesn't seem particularly heavily populated and it kinda sucks if using a fire build(but then again most top builds aren't fire cause shock and freeze are better than burning) and West Forest doesn't make any particular sense, do suicide zombie mobs give xp when they die? I assumed only if you kill them, not if they suicide, which would be pretty shitty xp actually. Doesn't really look any better than Crossroads or hell Fellshrine which seems to be about the same lvl iirc.

Been playing a char in that race just for fun, made a summoner, leveling slowly but don't really care just wanna have fun, the great thing imo about PoE vs TL2 or D3 is that Hardcore isn't as punishing. If you die in HC, your character gets transferred to softcore instead of being deleted(granted in TL2 you can tinker with the save files and just cancel the death but that sucks). So even if you die to pure bullshit like desync/lag, your time investment isn't completely wasted, you can still play the char, just not in HC anymore. I really like this system.
    Ledge is super quick. a boss, bunch of elites. 1 path. pretty easy as long as that boss doesnt nuke you.

Tuconots
    So this is still in beta? You can't play unless you donate?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Caliane View Post
    Ledge is super quick. a boss, bunch of elites. 1 path. pretty easy as long as that boss doesnt nuke you.
    Actually most stuff I've watched they skip the boss, but he's pretty easy as a fire mage spamming firestorm on him. Rest isn't that much better than anything else I guess but the mobs move slowly and have fairly low hp, I watched Panda's 3hour run tutorial and he pretty much shit on Ledge mobs with Ground Slam, just I didn't really play anything but summoner and lightning mage so wasn't seeing much of a point in this over other zones. Also he explains that suicide mobs do give xp, that's why west forest is good that and it's high lvl and fairly dense population.

As a summoner though the spot doesn't really make a difference as long as it's not a place with those wolves that leave patches of fire when they die or goatmen because of the constant leap aoe. Luckily both are in the same zones, so other than that, it's about the same speed everywhere regardless, which isn't very quick but not atrociously slow either. It's very safe at least, I rarely even lose my ES even though I have shit resists, but the bosses can get challenging if they eat through your zombies and you have no corpses around.

I really hope they add a way to bind more skills though, hopefully the same system D2 used, where you press say F1 and it changes your right click to the skill you had hotkeyed to F1 and so on. That lets them keep the UI small and clear but lets you bind "rotating" skills easily like buffs and shit without cluttering your main bars. You can do it atm but manually, granted auras last forever pretty much but it's still annoying and you're limited to 8 actives(3 of which you can't bind, the mouse ones) and I've found that before you get massive links with lots of passives, you can actually use quite a lot of stuff.

Edit: It's still in beta until 20th something january. You don't "donate" money when you spend the 10$ though, you buy 10$ of F2P money to buy item store shit, and you get a beta key at the same time.

Thread Information