"AH HA HA HA HA HA" Barraco Bisi's Avatar
    Tuconots

The Wire: Best Show Ever Made

Tuconots
    I'm guilty of this.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Adebisi View Post
    No more propositions for Prop Joe
    I just buried my Grandmother there at the same funeral home he was buried .

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedor View Post
    I'm guilty of this.
    I'm lukewarm about Breaking Bad. Though I thought last season was indeed great.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrical
    I just buried my Grandmother there at the same funeral home he was buried .
    This one's for Grandma Lyrical

Tuconots
    I'm guilty of this.
    Same here. Boardwalk Empire always comes up in that conversation too.

Tuconots
    2 classics

<

Tuconots
    [QUOTE=Adebisi;73271]I'm lukewarm about Breaking Bad. Though I thought last season was indeed great.

I don't even...

I don't even have words to describe how much I hate you. Except for those words that I just typed.

Tuconots
    The way Omar went out made me both love this show and hate it at the same time.

Tuconots
    the wire is badass. breaking bad too. incredibly well written & fleshed out.

[QUOTE=Adebisi;73271]I'm lukewarm about Breaking Bad.

your fellow townspeople ought to burn your clothes off your back and have you walk away in blistered shame, to be eaten by wolves in the desolation of your soul.

Last edited by Feanor; 01-20-2013 at 01:39 AM.

Tuconots
    All those fuck scene videos are missing the key piece.

"D", earlier in the episode, explaining how he murdered the woman in that appartment and when you pay attention and still have that in mind, all those fucks are replaced by actual dialogue in your head.

Tuconots
    link didn't work

Tuconots
    The Wire is indeed an amazing show, I kinda feel bad having never seen a single episode of Breaking Bad though. It seems pretty good, but I am alway at work when its on, and I always forget to download it. Having HBO Go though is a lifesaver for some of the shows I wanted to catch up on, but again being to lazy to download or buy them.

Tuconots
    RIP Prop Joe

This scene always summed the show up for me.
    " I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"

Tuconots
    breaking bad is okay. the wire is fucking incredible.

Tuconots
    The scene with Marlo and the security guard in the store lacks impact without also seeing Marlo give the order to Chris to kill the security guard later. Shows how out of control Marlo was with power when he basically has a man killed because he was bored and felt like fucking with that guy. Even in the criminal world there are rules and etiquette and Marlo didn't follow any of them. Of all the characters that I liked that got killed during the show I was disappointed that Marlo didn't get his in the end.

Tuconots
    One of my favs......Mike comes into his own

Tuconots
    To be fair, I thought the first season of Breaking Bad was kinda weak by comparison. It wasn't dramatic enough to be drama and it wasn't funny enough to be dark comedy. It was only later on when the stakes were raised and Walt started his downward spiral that it went from being an OK show to being truly historic TV.
    " I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrayne View Post
    To be fair, I thought the first season of Breaking Bad was kinda weak by comparison. It wasn't dramatic enough to be drama and it wasn't funny enough to be dark comedy. It was only later on when the stakes were raised and Walt started his downward spiral that it went from being an OK show to being truly historic TV.
    The first season is definitely the weakest. The fourth season is the season where the show hits the "best on TV" mark.

Tuconots
    breaking bad is possibly the best thing ever done thus far on regular cable tv.

it's true that most scenes in The Wire don't have much impact without context, yet that's what makes it what it is. it's a very dry show; no gimmicks. no 'bam boom' scenes to reel you in, but if you sit down and watch the show it builds up... and pays off.

all vids posted on here are so awesome. makes me wanna rewatch.

two more for the batch:

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    link didn't work
    That was probably one of the most touching scenes in the entire series for me. Poor bodie. Nigga just tryin to get paid.

Tuconots
    Just started my re-watch the other day.

Tuconots
    I only made it halfway through the second season of Breaking Bad before giving up on it. It being shouted from the rooftops that it was the greatest show ever probably didn't help because it gave it almost impossible to meet standards. Judging from the comments itt then maybe it does get better later on and I should try and plough through the earlier material but by that point The Wire, Deadwood, Rome etc were light years ahead of what BB had done. Mad Men fell into this category as well, I managed 4 or 5 episodes and lost interest. I finally got a Netflix sub last week once I found out how to avoid the IP blocking and I'll give them both another try.

Then again to be fair, most shows are a slow burn, Justified and Fringe are good examples of shows it was easy to give up on before they showed their true potential. Shows that start off awesome and stay that way are a rare thing indeed.

Shine on Cheese, you crazy diamond...

Registered User porkchop sandwiches's Avatar
    Tuconots
    One of the saddest parts of the show for me: "I don't"

My favorite "meaningful" clip of the show:

Last but not least, this guy played the best corrupt politician ever. Corrupt, egotistical, high and mighty, sociopathic, fucking classic:

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Fazana View Post
    I only made it halfway through the second season of Breaking Bad before giving up on it. It being shouted from the rooftops that it was the greatest show ever probably didn't help because it gave it almost impossible to meet standards. Judging from the comments itt then maybe it does get better later on and I should try and plough through the earlier material but by that point The Wire, Deadwood, Rome etc were light years ahead of what BB had done. Mad Men fell into this category as well, I managed 4 or 5 episodes and lost interest. I finally got a Netflix sub last week once I found out how to avoid the IP blocking and I'll give them both another try.

On an individual episode level, Deadwood and Rome really trounce most other shows. Each episode is great and the whole story is pretty solid. Breaking Bad, Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire are on the other end of the spectrum, individual episodes can feel weak, but as the story plays out, those episodes actually gather more meaning. Like as Breaking Bad goes on, Season 1, which I didn't like at first either, becomes really good--because you constantly think back on it as the "Real" Walter White is revealed to you. It's the same thing with Mad Men. Sopranos and The Wire were the only two shows that really hit a sweet spot between this slow burn and rich episodes. All the shows listed are fucking outstanding, but if you aren't patient the slow burn ones can lose you.

As for Breaking Bad. Once you hit the middle of Season 3, if you don't REALLY like it by then, you won't like it. The middle of Season 2 is where it really catches fire--but Season 3 is where all that character development starts to pay off and you look back at Season 1/2 and see how great and subtle the writing was (And it's the exact same with Mad men, toward the end of Season 2 you look back at Season 1 and see how subtle the writing was.)

As for the Wire...

I think this is one of the greatest scenes in TV history. Aside from a few in BB, and a couple in Mad Men/Sopranos, nothing comes close to the amount of symbolism, foreshadowing and writing that went into this scene's creation and this characters demise.

Everyone remembers the Chess scene in Season 1. Well, check out how this was shot. Chris and Snoop are attacking from angles. (Bishops)...Bodie is attacking back on an angle and he can't retreat (Pawn). The man who kills Bodie steps out one step and then moves a few steps in another direction, he also passes another of Bodie's men moving on the same plane (Knight).

The fact that this scene was shot right after the lunch scene epitomizes how Bodie played by the rules, he worked hard--and he WANTED to become the "top dog", the Queen, as a pawn can be promoted to if he survives to reach the other side. He devoted his life to not breaking the rules, being smart, surviving and most of all following orders (Highly restricted in his movements, like a pawn)--IE being a "smart ass pawn", which is what he said when the chess scene was being explained to him.

But..like D'angelo said to him. "Naa man, you don't understand. Pawns get capped quick, they be out of the game."

Much like the pawn reaching the other end of the board, Bodie never had a fucking chance. And it was explained to him in one of the first episodes and ALL five seasons went into emphasizing this eventuality. Fucking amazing.
    Last edited by Lithose; 01-21-2013 at 02:12 AM.

Tuconots
    I'm guilty of this.

Oh god. I'm "that guy"...

Tuconots
    Yeah I may be guilty of that

Tuconots
    Yeah it's a shame that he died in real life. He was one of my favorites characters in the series.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywo...hew-Dead-at-52
    Last edited by Nola; 01-21-2013 at 07:24 PM.
    Nolagamer#1749
    PSN ID:Cryptin

Tuconots
    I agree with this 100%.

Tuconots
    When does this show get good? I am half way through season one and so far it's just a bunch of fuck up cops that I wouldn't trust for anything......some of the shit these cops just do is retarded. Do cops really drink in public parks and just throw the cans on the street? Do they really all just back stab each other, go to work drunk and do nothing all day?

So far this series is a joke and not even close to breaking bad caliber.

infraction teflon Merkins4Brazil's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazily View Post
    When does this show get good? I am half way through season one and so far it's just a bunch of fuck up cops that I wouldn't trust for anything......some of the shit these cops just do is retarded. Do cops really drink in public parks and just throw the cans on the street? Do they really all just back stab each other, go to work drunk and do nothing all day?

Yeah season 1 takes a while to build. and yes Cops in RL are a bunch self serving shit shippers. The Cop stories are all about futility and how the system works against itself, the 'Robbers' in The Wire are much more interesting imo, those stories are about the 'cost of success' and 'means to an end'. The show gets accolades because it is pretty true to life. The folks who wrote the show were former cops and reporters who knew the ins and outs of Baltimore for decades, a lot of the characters are based on real people, in fact a few of the actors are notorious RL Baltimore figures playing to or across type.
    Last edited by Merkins4Brazil; 01-22-2013 at 09:22 AM.

Tuconots
    The biggest problem with The Wire is that it makes it impossible to watch 90% of the other cop shows without making an almost inhuman effort of disbelief suspension.

Tuconots
    Double post...
    Last edited by Szlia; 01-22-2013 at 12:13 PM.

Tuconots
    As for the Wire...

I think this is one of the greatest scenes in TV history. Aside from a few in BB, and a couple in Mad Men/Sopranos, nothing comes close to the amount of symbolism, foreshadowing and writing that went into this scene's creation and this characters demise.

Everyone remembers the Chess scene in Season 1. Well, check out how this was shot. Chris and Snoop are attacking from angles. (Bishops)...Bodie is attacking back on an angle and he can't retreat (Pawn). The man who kills Bodie steps out one step and then moves a few steps in another direction, he also passes another of Bodie's men moving on the same plane (Knight).

The fact that this scene was shot right after the lunch scene epitomizes how Bodie played by the rules, he worked hard--and he WANTED to become the "top dog", the Queen, as a pawn can be promoted to if he survives to reach the other side. He devoted his life to not breaking the rules, being smart, surviving and most of all following orders (Highly restricted in his movements, like a pawn)--IE being a "smart ass pawn", which is what he said when the chess scene was being explained to him.

But..like D'angelo said to him. "Naa man, you don't understand. Pawns get capped quick, they be out of the game."

Much like the pawn reaching the other end of the board, Bodie never had a fucking chance. And it was explained to him in one of the first episodes and ALL five seasons went into emphasizing this eventuality. Fucking amazing.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I never noticed that before.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazily View Post

This post comes off very troll like, but to answer seriously...

Spoiler: 
    Kima getting shot was the point in season 1 where I went from confused to emotionally attached. Season one is really great on a rewatch, but the first time through you're introduced to so many damn characters all at once that, at least for me, it was hard to really grab on at first.

Tuconots
    I've seen baltimore police walking around off duty with there shirt untucked and their pistols tucked in there pants loosely. also 3 of them were in the bar i was watching the ravens game in.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithose;75988
    [video=youtube;tFkWPNJAy14
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFkWPNJAy14[/video]

Much like the pawn reaching the other end of the board, Bodie never had a fucking chance. And it was explained to him in one of the first episodes and ALL five seasons went into emphasizing this eventuality. Fucking amazing.
    Dude you just blew my motherfucking mind. I've watched the Wire all the way through at least three times and I never put that together. Would give you more rep if I could.

Now I can't wait to marathon it all over again with all that in mind.

Fuck. Just not enough hours in the day.
    Last edited by TheBeagle; 01-23-2013 at 07:05 AM.

Tuconots
    Yeah, I never picked up on that symbolism in the Bodie scene. Crazy shit. I was legitimately sad when Bodie died, I wanted to see his character "make it", whatever that means for him.

I remember watching the first season and I was kind of uninvested until...

Spoiler: 
    WHERE'S WALLACE, STRING?

That death kind of got to me. After that I was all in. As to which is the better show between this and Breaking Bad, really it isn't a useful comparison. They are entirely different shows and awesome for entirely different reasons. Like, you couldn't compare this show to Mad Men. Both are great shows, all time classics, but they don't share much to make a comparison. I love all threee shows but if I had to pick I would watch Breaking Bad, probably because I've already watched The Wire 4 times.
    Last edited by chaos; 01-23-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Tuconots
    Where's the boy, String?
    thormovie-heimdall-2.jpg

Poor Communication Skills bixxby's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Omar is one of the best antiheroes ever.

Also Clay Davis in the movie cedar rapids:

Tuconots
    He was so fucking funny in that movie.

Tuconots
    I feel like a fucking moron for recognizing him in that movie but not realizing why I recognized him.

Tuconots

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures Royal's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Yeah the first season probably suffers a bit from being only what, 7 episodes (???) because of the writer's strike playing out while it was in production.

Tuconots
    I'm guilty of it too Fedor/others(always recommending The Wire/Breaking Bad).

Hands down best shows ever. And only a handful even get close to them. Start slow, never slow down.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Same here. Boardwalk Empire always comes up in that conversation too.
    +1
    although i think only season 5 of Breaking Bad was/is great.

about the Wire,the only part i cheered throughout the whole series was:

just die motherfucker
    Last edited by ohkcrlho; 02-14-2013 at 04:04 AM.
    A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping over the Earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust... retaliation.

Hollywood is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until everything you love is dead.

Tuconots
    Youtube blocked here at work. Is that Slim giving Cheese what he deserves or something else?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaythe View Post
    Youtube blocked here at work. Is that Slim giving Cheese what he deserves or something else?
    yes
    A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping over the Earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust... retaliation.

Hollywood is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until everything you love is dead.

Tuconots
    This thread made me dust off my DVDs late last week. Been a couple years since I've done a rewatch. I'm 3/4 the way through season 2 or so. I really think one of the things that leaves me most impressed with the show is just how spot on the acting is from the opening scene on. How much time was spent casting and how long was David Simon in a room with each actor before any actual scenes were filmed? I feel like for almost all shows it takes the actors a couple seasons to really grow into their roles. There's no growth here. Everyone is ace right from the beginning.

I remember marking what happens with Kima in season 1 as the moment I really started caring about the show. I guess even after all this time and multiple rewatches I'm still surprised to see that not happen until episode 10. I remember just being overwhelmed with the number of characters on my first watch. Today season 1 might be my favorite.

Anyway, Omar just had his testimony which I think someone links up above. McNulty also just crashed his car twice. That's a good scene. Bunk lighting his clothes on fire and the mother fucker crime scene investigation (also above) in season 1 were funny moments to revisit.

So many shows to catch up on but I never feel like I'm wasting any time by starting this guy over again.

Tuconots
    a couple of days ago i was discussing with a friend about how the hell The Wire didn't win ANY Emmy or major award....

Tuconots
    The Wire was amazing. So any great characters. Bodie was my favorite but you also have to like Omar, Slim and a bunch of others.

David Simon is really a great director. The Corner was also top quality. Just as good as the Wire.

Tuconots
    It's a crying shame that there isn't an HD version of this show. I would love to upgrade my DVDs to Blu-rays.

Tuconots
    Don't believe it would benefit from HD anyways. do you really want to see Baltimore in hi def? i do every day and let me tell you it ain't pretty :P

Tuconots

Tuconots
    Just wanted to remind everyone that The Wire is the best show ever made.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    'sup Bird?

Tuconots
    I watched seasons 1 to 4, and about the first 5 episodes of season 5, around Jan/Feb. For me I can't think of another T.V show that comes anywhere close.

That said I am a giant pussy as I just can't watch the last couple of episodes, and I keep putting it off.

And this is mainly because McNulty is just about the best character ever and he is entering a downward spiral, and I just can't man up and watch it to see what happens.

Tuconots
    The McNulty thread in S5 was probably the weakest, but the non-McNulty threads that season were just as good as ever.

They went a little overboard with McNulty that season to make their various points about him, and in a show like The Wire... I dunno. It wasn't that bad the first time. It was a tad goofy but you're able to roll with it. S5 McNulty suffers on re-watches though. But like I said, everything else is still of that higher quality.

The only real complain I have about The Wire is that we never got to see Bedie's Boobies. The closest we got was a thin cotton t-shirt on a warm summer night. Such a tease.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Iannis View Post
    They went a little overboard with McNulty that season to make their various points about him, and in a show like The Wire... I dunno. It wasn't that bad the first time. It was a tad goofy but you're able to roll with it. S5 McNulty suffers on re-watches though. But like I said, everything else is still of that higher quality.
    The McNulty stuff in s5 almost made me stop watching the show. I felt it was just way silly and completely over the top. Felt like I was watching another show during those scenes.

Tuconots

Tuconots

Black Desert Online
    Tuconots

Tuconots
    Shit... I meant 24135

Tuconots
    I would say my order goes...

4>3>2==1>>5

Thing that really made me roll my eyes when I read it awhile back on wikipedia...
    "Much of the waterfront storyline from the second season is edited out from the BET broadcasts.[106]"

Tuconots
    Bedie in her sharp-as-razors pants suits keep season 2 from being the worst one single-pantsedly.

I just don't like the Polaks. I'm racist against shitbirds.

Tuconots
    I love me the dock workers

Tuconots
    The dock workers are awesome. Anyone who doesn't like S2 is a bad person.

Tuconots
    Chaos, confirmed polak.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    The only problem I have with the dock storyline is that it starts and stops in season 2 while all the other storyline are additional layers that paint a picture of the city that is more and more complex.... well I write that but... the school system possibly also lasts one season or?

Tuconots
    pretty sure the school system only runs through season 4 while the main kids mike, namond etc carry on into season 5. but indeed, the bulk of that is season 4.

there was nowhere to go with the dock after frank's death. the self-contained aspect of season 2 works well against the other seasons. it's hard to say which one's the best. definitely 2-3-4. somewhere in there. has no one mentioned hamsterdam?! friggin Hamsterdam

5 gets ragged on, but it's got some serious pay-offage w/ mcnulty going full loose canon, omar/mike, bubs/dookie, jenny/jenny,
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblethorn View Post
    t219721_fry_i_see_what_you_did_there.jpg

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Szlia View Post
    The only problem I have with the dock storyline is that it starts and stops in season 2 while all the other storyline are additional layers that paint a picture of the city that is more and more complex.... well I write that but... the school system possibly also lasts one season or?
    That is exactly how I would describe Season 2. It added layers to the city, showing that it is much more than just West Baltimore. And it gave a more full picture of what is happening. The political connections, the foreign connections, etc. And it built up Prop Joe and Cheese.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by chaos View Post
    That is exactly how I would describe Season 2. It added layers to the city, showing that it is much more than just West Baltimore. And it gave a more full picture of what is happening. The political connections, the foreign connections, etc. And it built up Prop Joe and Cheese.
    That is what is so solid about the Wire. It was not afraid to move on to something else. Season 5 for me has been a lot weaker but at least it isn't the same old thing.

Other T.V shows get onto a good thing and then will never break away just play it safe for the advertising dollars.

Tuconots
    I just got through season 1 and shed a little tear when that skinny kid got his face/brain shot by his own boys. Thug life ain't right

Tuconots
    Where Wallace at

Tuconots
    Oh, it's good writing and a good fit for the series. All of the characters feel authentic, it gives us a sense of time passing while Barksdale is in prison, it furthers the connections of the drug trade, it makes the city of baltimore more relevant than just it's slums.

Christ, I wish I've never known guys like Izzy but we've all known guys like Izzy. And they made me look at Izzy's dick. More than once. Put that shit in spoiler tags, jackasses. And it NEVER paid off with bedie boobies. I cannot forgive season 2 for that.

Polak shitbirds.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    He probably meant Ziggy.

Tuconots
    1=2=3=4>5

I don't really know what to say about 5 other than I can watch it and enjoy myself but don't think it's anywhere near as good. I think that season just suffers all around. They're rushed trying to end the show, so you don't see the newspaper guys developed anywhere near the level of the theme in the previous seasons. It was 2-3 episodes shorter than any of the previous 4. McNulty goes bat shit. Now I laugh at some of those moments, like when he gets his FBI profile read back to him, but overall it just isn't the same. I do stand up and cheer when Slim Charles does what he does in the ending montage.

You can rank 1-4 however you want though. They're all the same quality.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarpolis View Post
    He probably meant Ziggy.
    No doubt.

Iannis, bro. Do you even The Wire?

I still haven't watched Treme yet. How does it compare in terms of characters and story quality (knowing it's not at all the same type of show).

Tuconots
    Treme is kind of all over the place and there are a lot of NOLA musicians with recurring roles that just can't act. It isn't bad. It's not the same

Tuconots
    I watched the first episode of Treme. Couldn't get in to it, so there was that. I guess it was cancelled for a reason.

Tuconots
    I've watched all of Treme and it's pretty boring and uninteresting honestly. I still watch it and somewhat enjoy it but I can definitely understand why most people don't. I'm completely shocked that it's stuck around as long as it has (it actually has a new 5 episode final season coming up).

Tuconots
    Shit... I meant 24135
    maybe you and me are the only ones who thinks the 2nd season is the best
    and i like it due to the greeks.....without them,there is no Game and spiros is a true cold-heart mofo

Tuconots
    and they weren't even greek!

ha! ha! ha!

Why always boris? In my country we have prison. This is not prison.

Tuconots
    Treme is watchable if :

- you have extensive knowledge of New Orleans culture (music, social, hurricane, customs, people, institutions, etc).
    - you don't mind a tv show spaghetting its stories without any point or direction.
    - have manual selective memory, where you can erase stuff from your mind once you've watched it.

Otherwise, and especially if you're a David Simon hardcore fan, stay away from Treme, it will just make you sad about how an ambitious tv show with great actors and awesome showrunners can be ruined bigtime with bad decisions (or no decisions, for that matter). The main problem of Treme (on which it also succeed at accurately depicting the general feel of New Orleans people post-Katrina) is boredom. Absolute, alienating boredom. Every character is bored. Bored because they have shitty lives, bored because they're struggling, bored because they're bored. Every story is boring. Whiteknight cop fighting against the tide, musicians living the boheme life, families struggling in FEMA trailers, it's so boring it's depressing.

I'm a huge fan of David Simon and I love Homicide, Generation Kill and of course The Wire. I still don't understand why he did Treme, but to me it feels like the guy got money and went like "hey I like New Orleans, let's go film some shit right there, oh and I also love dem musicians, I'm gonna put them in my show, fuck acting and we'll write the story as it goes". I hope he'll come again with some good material, but Treme is for me a no-go.

Tuconots
    Snoop all the way. One of my favorite quotes from her. "Fuck them west coast niggas, cuz in B-more we aim to hit a nigga ya heard".

Tuconots
    I agree that Treme felt like it was missing at least one dramatic arc that gave a sense to where it was going, but in a way it serves the portrait of a city that does not know where it is going. It works more a sociological study than a fiction, but the study is fascinating in its own right.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Szlia View Post
    I agree that Treme felt like it was missing at least one dramatic arc that gave a sense to where it was going, but in a way it serves the portrait of a city that does not know where it is going. It works more a sociological study than a fiction, but the study is fascinating in its own right.
    I agree, that's why I didn't say Treme was bad, only boring. Treme was also kind of educational, I'm from Europe and I had no idea what happened in NOLA post-katrina with FEMA fuckups, NOPD killings, politics boogaloos and also who's who concerning musicians / guests, I had to wikipedia my way through episodes. Fucking FEMA, man.

Tuconots
    Eyehategod was on an episode of Treme. That alone is pretty cool. I agree with the other negative comments though.

Tuconots
    The Wire should come up with a sequel. New actors and a new story, but it can take place in Chicago. One of the most dangerous cities in America for gang violence.

Tuconots
    Season 3 may not be the best, but the realization between Stringer and Avon that one was going to have to go might be as good as TV can get.

Edit: As far as a sequel, David Simon will say the Wire wasn't a crime drama even though it involved crime happening at almost every socioeconomic level of the city.
    Last edited by Brando; 07-06-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Tuconots
    What would David Simon call it?

If he just doesn't want to be lumped into the category with CSI:Miami or Law and Order: Baby Rapin' Psychos I can understand that.

But it's a Drama of which the pivotal focus is crime and the questions surrounding criminlality. What else do you call that? A RomCom?

Tuconots
    I recommend that anyone who likes The Wire should read Sudhir Venkatesh's Gang Leader for a Day. Deals mostly with the community in the projects and how they function outside of what you or I might consider normal. After I read (listened to it. It's on audiobook too.) and watched The Wire again, I had an even deeper appreciation for David Simon's skills (if it's even possible to further appreciate The Wire)

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Iannis View Post
    What would David Simon call it?

If he just doesn't want to be lumped into the category with CSI:Miami or Law and Order: Baby Rapin' Psychos I can understand that.

But it's a Drama of which the pivotal focus is crime and the questions surrounding criminlality. What else do you call that? A RomCom?
    Simon has said that despite its presentation as a crime drama, the show is "really about the American city, and about how we live together. It's about how institutions have an effect on individuals. Whether one is a cop, a longshoreman, a drug dealer, a politician, a judge or a lawyer, all are ultimately compromised and must contend with whatever institution to which they are committed"

That's from Wikipedia and you can find him posting similar stuff on his own blog or on the finale Time article

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaythe View Post
    Eyehategod was on an episode of Treme. That alone is pretty cool. I agree with the other negative comments though.
    The band, lol? In like 1998 I went to a White Zombie and Pantera concert in Birmingham, AL and this band named Eyehategod opened for them. After two songs they were booed off stage and threw their mics at the crowd. Didn't even realize they were a real band.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post
    Simon has said that despite its presentation as a crime drama, the show is "really about the American city, and about how we live together. It's about how institutions have an effect on individuals. Whether one is a cop, a longshoreman, a drug dealer, a politician, a judge or a lawyer, all are ultimately compromised and must contend with whatever institution to which they are committed"
    If some lads are interested about American city television drama I'd like to propose BOSS, a Starz politics drama with Kelsey Grammar as the mayor of Chicago. It's not The Wire, but it draws a quite large picture about US city politics, it features a top notch cast (Grammar is awesome, as well as the supporting cast). Starz cancelled the show after 2 seasons (2 x 9 episodes) because "lol ratings" but if you enjoy twisted fucks doing politics like ancient Rome, you'd sure flap your balls up to the ceiling with BOSS : it's as cruel, realistic and merciless as a tv show can be nowadays.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Intrinsic View Post
    The band, lol? In like 1998 I went to a White Zombie and Pantera concert in Birmingham, AL and this band named Eyehategod opened for them. After two songs they were booed off stage and threw their mics at the crowd. Didn't even realize they were a real band.
    Yes. Pioneers of the NOLA sludge metal scene. Jimmy Bower ended up becoming Down's drummer. Anyway, this is pretty off topic other than it was neat of Simon to showcase someone from the NOLA metal scene because as a whole it was hugely influential. You maybe didn't like Eyehategod, but don't discredit their importance. Anyway, we can continue in the metal thread if you'd like.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    BOSS [...](2 x 9 episodes)
    Did they manage to resolve some/most/all of the storylines at the end of the 2nd season or does it end with the viewer massively frustrated?

Tuconots
    Pretty much everything gets resolved all throughout the show in one way or another. The only frustrating thing is the lack of season 6 and beyond.

Thread Information