Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gravity

Tuconots

Gravity

IMDb - Gravity

Astronauts attempt to return to earth after debris crashes into their space shuttle, leaving them drifting alone in space.
    Ain't It Cool News - A very early Test Screening review of Alfonso Cuaron's GRAVITY! Surprise, it is described as 'next level'!!!

http://thefilmstage.com/news/average...ake-confirmed/

He confirmed that the opening shot will be a single 17-minute take and went on to say the runtime of the entire film will be around two hours. The catch is that the film will only contain 156 shots, which if you do some simple math puts every take around 45 seconds, a rarity in today’s blockbuster world. He want on to say many shots will last 6, 8 and 10 minutes long. It looks like for Children of Men fans, myself included, this will be an entirely new level, especially for cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki, who is coming off The Tree of Life.
    October 4th release date

Last edited by Fedor; 07-24-2013 at 03:53 PM.

Tuconots
    This is one of the movies I'm most looking forward to this year. I was invited to the early screening back in May, but I decided to wait and see it in it's full formed glory. I've heard about some of the technical stuff they've done to accomplish some of the shots and it sounds insane. Things that have never been done before.

Tuconots
    Children of Men is one of my favorite movies of all times. Technically speaking is probably THE greatest non-cgi movie i have seen in the last 20 years. Appart few post production touchs, everything about it feels so fucking real because it is. The dirt, the garbage. It gives the feeling that society is collapsing much better than any other movie i have seen. Even the initial explosion in the bar....they had dozens of ppl sinchronizing their movements just to be where they had to be when the explosion (a non-cgi explosion) went off

then we have the fantastic 8 minutes car scene, and then the fantastic fight scene at the end. Fuck in the middle of it my heart was racing. amazing. simply amazing
    Last edited by fucker; 04-17-2013 at 08:07 AM.

Tuconots
    trailer tomorrow

Tuconots
    I am a very big fan of Children of Men, but, I must say, I am even more intrigued by the cast here. Sandra Bullock and George Clooney? I am curious to see that.

Tuconots
    Last edited by Fedor; 05-10-2013 at 12:33 AM.

Tuconots
    Looks interesting, not a huge Sandra Bullock fan though.

Tuconots
    I'm excited for this.

Tuconots
    Looks like it will probably be at least decent.

Tuconots
    Lets hope so. I was a fan of children of men

Tuconots
    this looks retarded.

Tuconots
    The concept of being trapped or stuck in space is so creepy to me, I can't wait for this one.

Tuconots
    So I guess astronauts can look at the sun without the sun visors now huh
    I know they wanted to clooney and bullock's faces, but could have done it iron man style in those shots if they really needed to.

Tuconots
    Space scares the fuck out of me. This is gonna be awesome.

Tuconots

Tuconots

Tuconots
    I read this on another forum. Kind of a general movie synopsis that you would read on the back of a DVD, but I think it's a spoiler at the same time.

Here it is in brackets for you.
    Spoiler: 
    Sandra Bullock plays Dr. Ryan Stone, a brilliant medical engineer on her first shuttle mission, with veteran astronaut Matt Kowalsky (George Clooney) in command of his last flight before retiring. But on a seemingly routine spacewalk, disaster strikes. The shuttle is destroyed, leaving Stone and Kowalsky completely alone--tethered to nothing but each other and spiraling out into the blackness. The deafening silence tells them they have lost any link to Earth...and any chance for rescue. As fear turns to panic, every gulp of air eats away at what little oxygen is left. But the only way home may be to go further out into the terrifying expanse of space.

The issue I personally have with that synopsis is the very last sentence. The basic fact is if you're lost in space, you're gone. That's it, game over. However, that line makes me feel like the movie will somehow have a happy ending. Some mystical shit is going to happen. Ok, I'm done venting.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarpolis View Post
    I read this on another forum. Kind of a general movie synopsis that you would read on the back of a DVD, but I think it's a spoiler at the same time.

Here it is in brackets for you.
    Spoiler: 
    Sandra Bullock plays Dr. Ryan Stone, a brilliant medical engineer on her first shuttle mission, with veteran astronaut Matt Kowalsky (George Clooney) in command of his last flight before retiring. But on a seemingly routine spacewalk, disaster strikes. The shuttle is destroyed, leaving Stone and Kowalsky completely alone--tethered to nothing but each other and spiraling out into the blackness. The deafening silence tells them they have lost any link to Earth...and any chance for rescue. As fear turns to panic, every gulp of air eats away at what little oxygen is left. But the only way home may be to go further out into the terrifying expanse of space.

The issue I personally have with that synopsis is the very last sentence. The basic fact is if you're lost in space, you're gone. That's it, game over. However, that line makes me feel like the movie will somehow have a happy ending. Some mystical shit is going to happen. Ok, I'm done venting.
    I had the same thought you did when I saw the trailer and how they were floating out into space. I suspect there will be some deux ex machina bullshit where it just so happens that the Russians have a manned vehicle passing that area or something.

Tuconots
    No guys... movie title is Gravity...

Theyll pull an Appolo 13 in space suits around the moon bitches! /money.

Tuconots
    Can't wait to hear the explanation for how their space suits can handle planetary re-entry speeds and heat, should be epic!!!

Tuconots

Tuconots
    Man some jaded ass people in here. No reason to believe this movie will have a happy ending based on the director and he wrote it as well.

Also incase you didn't watch the panel this was said

Although the trailer has audible explosions in it, Cuarón has confirmed that scenes in space will be silent: They put in explosions [in the trailer]. As we know, there is no sound in space. In the film, we don't do that."
    Last edited by Juvarisx; 07-24-2013 at 05:54 PM.

Tuconots
    possible spoilers from an early review for people making predictions about a deus ex machina

Spoiler: 
    Sandra Bullock’s character has no family down on Earth. No friends. Her job is up in space. She’s struggling to get back to survive, but in truth, she doesn’t have much to live for down on that planet, so why even go through the effort? To me the film is about apathy and isolation. It’s about people today not knowing why they should be excited about living but only knowing they don’t want to die. It’s about looking at your own insignificance in the universe (or on Earth, or at your job, or at your school, etc.) & becoming empowered by it instead of defeated.

edit: it doesn't actually spoil the ending, it just gives some background info for sandra bullock's character
    Last edited by Fedor; 07-24-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
    The concept of being trapped or stuck in space is so creepy to me, I can't wait for this one.
    my thoughts exactly
    A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping over the Earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust... retaliation.

Hollywood is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until everything you love is dead.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    This looks like shit.

Tuconots
    I hope gravity wins.

Tuconots
    God damn, that last trailer. If CGI tech isnt where its at to produce something your realistic scene needs and you end up with something that looks like shit, then dont fuckin use CGI. Sick of producers half-assing it rather than using old school methods that look 100 times better than that. Sure they require a fuckton of man hours, but you end up with something the public will beleive in.

This is jarjar 2.0

And we're gonna have another 3d eye-fuck with this.
    Last edited by Rombo; 07-25-2013 at 09:14 PM.

Tuconots
    I feel this Is going to be very one demensional. I hope I am wrong.

Tuconots
    90 minutes of pretty boring "feelings" for 15 minutes of CGI space stuff. i'll just wait for the bluray and skip past all the stuff where sandra helps a big black guy become the first space galactic quarterback

although shit the movie would be 1000x better if they brought in michael jordan, shaq, lebron, kobe, and yao ming and it turned out to be space jam 2

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Szlia View Post
    I am a very big fan of Children of Men, but, I must say, I am even more intrigued by the cast here. Sandra Bullock and George Clooney? I am curious to see that.
    It's a rom com, Bullock is a ditzy astronaut who trips on her first space walk. Clooney must save her. Back in the shuttle, Bullock chortles, learns to wear heels in space, and as they are about to kiss for the first time, they get blasted by micro meteroites.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Rombo View Post
    God damn, that last trailer. If CGI tech isnt where its at to produce something your realistic scene needs and you end up with something that looks like shit, then dont fuckin use CGI. Sick of producers half-assing it rather than using old school methods that look 100 times better than that. Sure they require a fuckton of man hours, but you end up with something the public will beleive in.

This is jarjar 2.0

And we're gonna have another 3d eye-fuck with this.
    Personally, my only question is can I see Clooney get roasted as a marshmellow in 3d?

Tuconots
    Meh I'm looking forward to it.

Tuconots
    Oh dont get me wrong ill see it too eventually. Having near zero sci-fi to sink my teeth into these days, ill take whatever passes. 2013 looks like a good year for sci-fi tho.

The last one i saw, forgot the name, with Tom Hanks and Catwoman. I liked. But nothing came close to The Moon yet in recent times.

Tuconots
    you are probably talking about cloud atlas, which was ... weird

you should watch europa report, its not in theaters but should be on demand and amazon etc, pretty awesome movie about first manned trip to jupiters moons. Reminded me a lot of moon. Also Oblivion (tom cruise summer movie) turned out to be not too bad, it was a bit over the top and didn't really focus on anything but it was interesting for the most part.

who knows!
    Tuconots
    Are we still calling this science fiction? Looks more like a straight drama set in space...

I guess if this movie could ACTUALLY happen right now, is it science fiction?

Tuconots
    Hmm, I don't see any problem with the CGI in that last trailer.
    Not everything on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Tuconots
    Unsurprising, but great to hear

Tuconots
    I was expecting to see something horrible from a Fedor link.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvarisx View Post
    Unsurprising, but great to hear
    The most surprising thing about the link is that "One Direction: This is Us" has 72%.

I thought Gravity looked stupid at first, but given all the praise I suppose I'll have to give it the benefit of the doubt. I still hope it doesn't have a typical, Hollywood Happy Ending (tm).

Tuconots
    http://variety.com/2013/film/news/al...ty-1200596518/

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron
    “I was stunned, absolutely floored,” he says. “I think it’s the best space photography ever done, I think it’s the best space film ever done, and it’s the movie I’ve been hungry to see for an awful long time.”

Tuconots
    That article gives a good sense of how insane the shooting was!

Tuconots
    What part of that sentence required an exclamation mark?

I mean, even trying to read it in my head isn't working. Maybe you could make insane all loud and shit, but I still don't think it warrants one.

Retard Rehabilitation Program
    Tuconots
    100%? What...

Tuconots
    What? People make too big of deals off studio produced trailers. You are looking at a director who's last 3 movies were all excellent with total freedom to make the movie how he wanted. This is usually what you get.

Tuconots

Tuconots

Tuconots
    Looks amazing

Very excited about this

Tuconots
    i really cant remember in the past 10 years a movie with such overwhelming positive opinion from everyone.

i was pretty exciting when i heard the news Alfonso Cuarón was doing another movie. Children of Man is one of my prefered movie of all time. Then, when i read the first synopsys i was a bit worried it could turn into a delusion

look like i worried for nothing. Cant wait for wednesday
    Last edited by fucker; 10-01-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Tuconots
    Just saw this. All my brain can muster is... fuck... in a very good way. I'm putting this as one of my top movies i've ever seen.

Tuconots
    Breathtaking.

Tuconots
    Damn, going to have to see this now.

Tuconots
    Saw this last night, it might as well concluded with the awards being handed to them for Best Director, Cinematography, Actress, probably editing, and visual effects. I can't think of a better movie I have seen this year so likely Picture.

First 15 minutes or so is probably the best piece of directing I have ever seen, and see it in IMAX 3D it actually works

Tuconots
    92 reviews, 98%...

Gravity - Rotten Tomatoes
    Last edited by Braen; 10-03-2013 at 04:25 PM.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn - In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

"That is not dead which can Eternal lie, and with strange Eons even death may die" - H. P. Lovecraft

Tuconots
    well, at least that single negative review will get a lot of traffic for the massive wave of flaming

Tuconots
    The negative review was priceless figures it was from Slant its total hipster douchebaggery at its finest

Toronto International Film Festival 2013: Gravity Review | The House Next Door

Tuconots
    So, do we see this in 3D or not?

Tuconots
    Yes, though I have access to IMAX 3D, i cannot comment on that real 3d garbage

Tuconots
    Watch it in the biggest screen you can find. Imax 3D really worked for me. 3D in this movie feel more like a character rather than an effect.

Tuconots
    Catching the matinee imax showing tomorrow. Very much looking forward to it.

Tuconots
    i am taking the wife tomorrow 7pm at the IMAX @ jordans furniture in Reading MA...price 3 dollars less per ticket there than the AMC theater that is ~5 minutes closer to my house.

Tuconots
    AMCs don't have IMAX screens, they have projectors made by IMAX for their screens.

Tuconots
    Every single review Ive read so far basically says to see on the big of a screen as possible and a lot of them said that the first film they have ever reviewed where they considered 3D to be essential to the experience

Tuconots
    the theatre i am going to,..8 story tall screen, true imax..with tempurpedic seats.....

Tuconots
    wtf do you live, lucas ranch?

Tuconots
    Nope just near jordan's furniture.

Jordan's Furniture in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Rhode Island - store

IMAX Movies at Jordan's Furniture in Reading and Natick, MA is their imax theater

price- non-student is ~3 dollars less per ticket vs surrounding imax style theaters in the area.

only downside is you have to walk through half of their furniture store to get to the entrance. of course that is not a downside- its like walking through the mall.

ok looked at the difference in imax theaters

imax 3d theater - screens range from 47x24 to 74x46 in size

imax theater are 51x37 to 117x96

the one @jordans...is still an imax 3d theater. granted it's the upper end of the imax 3d theater but not "classic" dimensions
    Last edited by Lenardo; 10-04-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Tuconots
    The IMax near me is 63 x 86 feet (equivalent to nearly seven stories high) and they aren't showing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodleface View Post
    tbh i'd suck a penis

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenardo View Post
    i am taking the wife tomorrow 7pm at the IMAX @ jordans furniture in Reading MA...price 3 dollars less per ticket there than the AMC theater that is ~5 minutes closer to my house.
    I'll be seeing it there as well, though probably not on Friday.

Tuconots
    hi fives xith. awesome theater.

Tuconots
    The local 'real' imax theatre in my area: The Henry Ford IMAX Theatre - America's Ultimate Film Experience
    isn't showing this film =(

Tuconots
    Just saw this in IMAX. I enjoyed it was definitely a good movie. They over did the "debris field" a little bit for dramatic effect and this scene lingered a little too long
    download.jpg

Tuconots
    Great movie. My only gripe would be that the themes and symbolism are a bit hit-you-over-the head at times, but that's minor. Don't skip on the 3D!
    Last edited by Simas; 10-04-2013 at 09:44 PM.

Tuconots
    Thought my wife was about to have a heart attack at one point, pretty amazing viewing experience. The story and symbolism may be a bit much but it's gotta be one of the best 90 mins spent in a theatre I ever had.

Tuconots
    Makes you want to be a strictly moon or Mars based astronaut.

Tuconots
    I went in to see this reluctantly today, not a big sandra bullock fan and was expecting a drawn out, emotional rollercoaster kinda chick flick with some space shit mixed in. Man, was I wrong. Fucking insanely awesome movie, probably the best visual movie I have seen in a long, long, long time. Definitely worth it in 3D and the biggest screen around. Tense the whole way and no bullshit. Just awesome, definitely one of the few movies I would say you should really see in theaters.

Tuconots
    Hmm, I might have to check this out at the Jordan's IMAX as well. Shitty drive from WMass, but w/e!

Tuconots
    This movie looks like that shitty movie open water, only set in space.

So for those who hated Open Water but saw this movie: Good? Bad?

Tuconots
    This movie is nothing like open water

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvarisx View Post
    This movie is nothing like open water
    This. And you don't need to know anything else, other than to go see it in 3D on the biggest screen you can find.

Tuconots
    Absolutely loved this movie. The visuals are stunning and the story kept me engaged the entire time. I know a movie has pulled me in when I never give a thought to going to pee. I'm going to see it again tomorrow and look for things I may have missed the first time.

Tuconots
    Thought it was incredible. IMAX 3D was very much worth it.

Spoiler: 
    Spoilered as to not detract or set expectations with others who may have not seen this.

I'm admittedly blind to symbolism in most movies but my wife said the same thing to me after we left. What symbolism are people talking about that was so heavy handed? The fact that she had that little prayer moment thing with the Chinese dude on the radio? Whatever else must have been way over my head. The only symbolism I saw was that space is fucking scary and shit gets crazy when Russians try to blow up their own satellites.

Tuconots
    Would be great if this movie was a "surprise" hit money-wise.
    Not everything on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Tuconots
    Holy fuck, this movie was beautiful. I normally dislike Bullock but thought she had a convincing performance. Two thumbs up. I hope it does well.

I also pray that Gravity sparks a new movement in cinematography. I absolutely love the long-duration shots that Cuaron developed (I read the opening scene was 17 minutes with no cuts?). In almost any other modern director's hands the action sequences would have been an unintelligible slideshow of half-second shakey-cam clips. A large part of what made this movie tense was that you could see things coming clearly enough to anticipate and appreciate the danger the characters were in without resorting to cheap psychological tricks.

Tuconots
    Is this worth the price of admission for Imax3d? Seeing it tonight.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Grez View Post
    Is this worth the price of admission for Imax3d? Seeing it tonight.
    You absolutely want to see it in Imax 3D.

Saw it again today. It's just an amazing film. Angelina Jolie was their first choice for the role, but she declined. I can't imagine her doing it justice like Sandra did.

Tuconots
    Add me to the great movie, must see in 3d category.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Intrinsic View Post
    Thought it was incredible. IMAX 3D was very much worth it.

Spoiler: 
    Spoilered as to not detract or set expectations with others who may have not seen this.

I'm admittedly blind to symbolism in most movies but my wife said the same thing to me after we left. What symbolism are people talking about that was so heavy handed? The fact that she had that little prayer moment thing with the Chinese dude on the radio? Whatever else must have been way over my head. The only symbolism I saw was that space is fucking scary and shit gets crazy when Russians try to blow up their own satellites.
    Spoiler: 
    When Sandra first exits her suit they focus on her for at least a minute in a baby in a womb type posture. Then upon making it back to earth it's like she evolved from the sea and is just learning to walk on land. At least that's what stood out to me.

Tuconots
    There were certain things I enjoyed about it. The airlock scene was compelling, it was beautifully shot, and the effects were remarkable. However, I thought the movie was fairly boring and George Clooney's dialogue was terrible.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by supertouch View Post
    There were certain things I enjoyed about it. The airlock scene was compelling, it was beautifully shot, and the effects were remarkable. However, I thought the movie was fairly boring and George Clooney's dialogue was terrible.
    Please go turn on your car, close the garage and just sit there.

Tuconots
    My car's parked in the driveway, numbnuts.

Tuconots
    And? Doesn't mean you're any less of a cock sucker, literally and figuratively.

Tuconots
    Does supertouch like any movie at all?

Anyway, so far I heard only good things. I have to go see this I guess.

Tuconots
    This movie will be the reason I buy a 3D tv when the bluray comes out. If they release a 3D version.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridas View Post

I believe the shemale said The Crying Game was his all time fav, go figure...

Tuconots
    I guess Im in the minority, but pretty meh movie to me. Saw it in IMAX 3d. Was it a good looking movie? Sure, but eyecandy doesnt make a movie great for me. The experience on the whole was just kinda eh.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridas View Post

He's Astro's evil twin. Astro loves everything that's bad, Supertouch hates everything that's good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodleface View Post
    tbh i'd suck a penis

Thread Information