Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warhammer 40,000 Novels

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by EmiliaEQ View Post
    They could make a 20 Book series about the craftworlds & the fall, that would be cool too.

I just finished "WE ARE ONE" and it is the most fucking epic 25 pages you will ever read in your entire life.
    I always found the Alpha Legion very interesting, but we never see anything about them...
    Except the little story about that geneseed theft & the reasons they turned, but this... this... this was Legendary !
    Where do you find "WE ARE ONE" ?

Is this a Warhammer sub novel or something?

edit

Found it i guess

The Black Library - Tales From The Archive: We Are One (eBook)

Tuconots
    Just finished Unremembered Empire. Decent book, I suppose. Explains a lot, or rather sets up (or changes) lore to explain how the Dark Angels and Ultramarines don't show for the siege of Terra. Frontpage is a big misleading, if you were expecting the Angel. Guess that's a spoiler, but if you were fiending for Sanguinius, you deserve to know.

For those who can't be bothered reading it, and those that already have

Spoiler: 

A Deus Ex machina explaining how Guilliman manages to bring in Sanguinius, for whatever reason, since he ends up at Terra anyway. And for whatever reason, they bring the Lion into it, though I guess it was never truly explained why he wasn't at Terra? Never read any of the Dark Angels books that weren't in the HH series. And then asshole Curze, who they've been trying to interject for like 4 books now. It's okay until Abnett gets pulled into the Vulkan Lives bullshit. Yeah, Vulkan's immortal and Curze drove him crazy. He can't die and Curze is pissed that they keep fighting and he can't kill him. But it doesn't matter, because Curze gets away anyway. And ends up on Macragge just like he did in the beginning of the book, despite being warped away towards the end. Pointless, really. Another Deus Ex to make him conveniently go away for a bit.

The Lion and Guilliman make up and make out, and in the last ten pages or so Sanguinius shows up, they agree to make the second Imperium in the case that Terra has already fallen and make Sanguinius the new Regent (or Emperor, if the big E is dead), since none of them can find the Astronomicon.

What I can't get is that the Lion and Sanginius can't see the Astronomicon, although the Khan, Leman Russ, and Corax were able to find it, as well as the Imperial Fists. Lorewise, at least within the HH series, it makes sense that the Ultrasmurfs can't see it because of Lorgar's Ruinstorm, but the Lion and Sanguinius weren't in Ultramar when that happened. Why can't they see it, when every other loyalist legion can? I suppose they'll Deus Ex that too.

It's an okay if you're a Horus Heresy lore-whore like me, I guess. If you're looking to just consume Heresy content, then yeah Certainly not a Nemesis or Battle for the Abyss or their like, but the Vulkan Lives arc that made its way in pissed me off. There's some serious and ridiculous weird Mary Sue-ing going on with Vulkan in a, IMO, very very stupid way. The Horus Heresy series has never been any sort of literary work of art by any means, but a several of them were genuinely decent reads if you enjoy the 40k universe.

Lately though, jesus christ. Supposedly all the authors in the series meet up and convene on this shit, but if that's true they all need to get dick slapped. Or whoever's arranging and approving the meeting needs to. They were smoking some serious crack, or watching interracial gay snuff movies when they decided on the new Vulkan shit. Probably both.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    for that cost it better includes a horny eldar Farseer in the delivery

Tuconots
    That PAPERBACK book is going for $1000 at top end. What the fuck I am I missing?

Tuconots
    According to Kevin Slavin, it is the result of algorithms locked in loops with each other that cause that. According to his Ted Talk, it happens quite a bit on Amazon.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by fucker View Post
    not to mention that, unlike Failbaddon, when Angron gets to work, shit like 2 SM chapters obliterated happends
    Neeeeeecro

As far as game stats go, Abaddon really is about as powerful as you would expect a primarch to be. He's an unstoppable wrecking ball of destruction. The depictions of Angron at the first battle for Armageddon are just retarded and make no sense, especially if Draigo was able to smoke Mortarion. Abaddon and Draigo are pretty close in power level, game stat wise, although I probably give the edge to Abaddon.
    Draegan is a faggoty piece of shit who sold the forum to mmorpg.com just to spite us. Register at the new site.

ReReRolled.org - A Gaming Community

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinrad View Post
    Neeeeeecro

As far as game stats go, Abaddon really is about as powerful as you would expect a primarch to be. He's an unstoppable wrecking ball of destruction. The depictions of Angron at the first battle for Armageddon are just retarded and make no sense, especially if Draigo was able to smoke Mortarion. Abaddon and Draigo are pretty close in power level, game stat wise, although I probably give the edge to Abaddon.
    That's the thing, Draigo is simply a Grey Knight SM. He isn't at the "level" of a Primarch or a daemon prince, yet, he gets treated as if he's on par with a Primarch.

Tuconots
    So I've finished up with the last few HH releases, just getting started on the fresh batch. Scars finally wrapped up, and in classic HH style, resolved with no resolution other than an ambiguous nod to canon adherence. The Khan seems a lot cooler in my mind, however, so I guess that's good. I'm not sure if this is spoiler material, but I doubt anyone reading this thread is really at risk- am I alone in biting on the Scars' novel tease that the Khan is actually a powerful psyker? SPOILER!

A bit of the new graphic novel. It's actually a really cool read, IMO, and a hell of a lot more entertaining than most of the $3.99 one-offs they try to pander on Black Library combined. It also comes with a rather cool short story that explains the episode which butthurts most Emprah fanbois (Horus saving the big E from the strangler Ork).

029.jpg
    Last edited by Wrathcaster; 04-26-2014 at 08:32 AM.

Tuconots
    I haven't read Scars yet, but aside from that I'm caught up. Gotta say Vulkan as a perpetual just seems really dumb. Really really dumb. In fact, everything having to do with Vulkan in Vulkan Lives and Unremembered Empire fucking sucked. Unremembered Empire pretty much sucked. I love Dan Abnett when he writes his own books, but I really haven't cared for his entries into the Heresy series. I still hate that they're basically rewriting a key element in the Siege of Terra. The reason the Ultramarines weren't at Earth was because they were too far away to get there in time. But if Sanguinius is on Macragge with his entire legion, then obviously Guilliman could make it too. Hell, even El'Jonson could make it, although iirc he finally gets lured back to Caliban and that's why he doesn't show up at earth. Although some obscure Dark Angels stories have suggested that the real reason the Dark Angels weren't at Earth is because Jonson was waiting to see who the winner was, which I suppose could still happen.
    Draegan is a faggoty piece of shit who sold the forum to mmorpg.com just to spite us. Register at the new site.

Tuconots
    Empire takes place before Betrayer as far as I can tell. Pretty sure Gulliman would have mention Angron turning into a giant fucking demon. Assume they get bogged down defending Ultramar/"hold the gate" so that the Blood Angels can make it to terra via holding traitor forces at bay or deus ex machina way out of the ruin storm. Not sure whats up with the Dark Angels. 2nd edition era lore had them returning to Caliban after the siege of terra but without having participated in the fighting as they could not arrive in time to participate.

If I had to guess BAs take the "spotlight device" to terra/use it to navigate. Ultramarines garrison Ultramar and protect said device to prevent Lorgar from following(Angron makes it to terra but afaik Lorgar did not). World Eaters break through and head for terra. Johnson leaves Gulliman hanging to pursue them to terra or for some other agenda which becomes the basis for rumors he was waiting for a victor to emerge.

Stab in the dark on Johnson. Every book and story he has been in depicts him in a wildly different way. Sevatar is still aboard his flagship as of Empire. Curze is planetside. Johnson has possession of some form of entity I can't recall that can cause or abate intense warp storms in addition to the capacity to instantly transport men to ships in orbit and then force those same ships to instantly translate to the warp at will. A Watcher in the Dark is aboard his flagship and converses with him and he is aware that shits not great on Caliban(which contradicts prior lore where the first anyone knew of Luthers rebellion was when they were fired on after reaching Caliban post siege). He kills one of his senior chaplains in a fit of rage and shows no remorse nor does anyone question it. He gives incredibly powerful siege engine to Perturabo rather than sequester them like you would expect since he was well aware that loyalties were in question. Think Johnson has more loose ends than anyone else atm. No idea where they are trying to take him.
    Last edited by Taloo; 04-29-2014 at 07:51 PM.

Tuconots
    Well they mention that he felt like a total retard for giving those siege engines to Perturabo, which is why he plays things so much closer to the chest now. I was pretty fucking shocked when he just punched Nemiel's head off.

Tuconots
    Empire takes place after Betrayer. Can't find the exact passage, but Guilliman comments on the "horrors wrought upon Angron by Lorgar." Plus, the ruinstorm from Calth didn't eclipse all of Ultramar immediately, hence why Guilliman could navigate back to Maccrage before they actually figure out how to use the Pharos as a pseudo-Astronomicon.

I'm really getting tired of the mary sue they're making Curze into. Previously, the Lion single handedly cripples him in single combat. Now, he's somehow able to withstand combat from two primarchs at once, then continually take huge amounts of damage from an unkillable Vulkan, get trapped by a daemon in the warp, and still make it out to faff around on Maccrage. Bullshit.

As far as the siege of Terra lore goes, I think they'll hugely depart from canon just to keep the series from ending as long as possible. Were I to guess, however, I'd wager that either a.) Curze does something to majorly delay the Ultramarines from leaving to reinforce Terra with the Blood Angels and Dark Angels, b.) some issue with the Pharos allows only one of the three legions to make it home, c.) Guilliman decides to "bring up the rear" so to speak in order to destroy any reinforcements Horus might have coming, as well as fight off whatever forces that try to delay the Blood Angels, or d.) the Dark Angels go do their own thing elsewhere; maybe a retcon that sends them to Caliban instead of Terra first. Possibly all of the above.

I also thought Lorgar was at the Siege of Terra because of the massive daemon summoning that went on there; it was always the Word Bearers trademark. I know for a fact that Mortarion, Angron, Perturabo, Fulgrim, Horus, and Magnus were all there.

One weird thing they just did in canon with the new Vengeful Spirit is place Leman Russ on Terra after he got away from the Alpha Legion ambush. He's there talking to Malcador, and about why he's not staying for the siege. Canon always said the Wolves couldn't make it in time because of the Alpha Legion delaying them, but now he's supposedly running off to try and kill Horus. I find that to be complete and utter bullshit retcon that makes no sense whatsoever. It's purely intended to give them another twenty goddamn books about the Space Wolves running around in space doing shit that won't matter at all in the end.

GW is going to end up retconning everything after Calth at this rate. They can go fuck themselves, greedy little shits.

Tuconots
    Been a while.

Damnation of Pythos - Meh, not good but isn't bad. Just has absolutely fuck all to do with anything and doesn't advance a single thread of the storyline. It's entirely self contained and exclusively features no name characters. It brings nothing to the table whatsoever as far as the heresy is concerned and could have been a current timeline novel with only minor edits.

Death and Defiance - A collection of dog shit open ended stories with no resolution or purpose. On par with gamesday/weekend novellas but somehow managing to tell stories that matter less without actually advancing the plot or giving more depth to important but second string characters. With the exception of the story about Eristade every single story ends so abruptly it feels like 5-10 pages were simply cut off the end. Imagine Nemesis is a short story that begins with Spear on a speeder heading into the desert and ends with him eatting the Emperor's blood without explaining what/who he or anyone else is and you wouldn't be far off. Edit* Forgot about the first story which does end okay. If by okay you mean retcons kinda important shit and doesn't make any damn sense.

They need to step up their fucking game. Gods of Mars blows both of the most recent novels out of the water despite the kinda wonky way shit goes down. At least it was a satisfying read. I'm close to just not caring and that's fucking sad. GW seriously needs to get their shit together and suck off Abnet, McNeil, anyone worth a damn until they can get this shit back on the rails.

Still need to read Legacies of Betrayal and I think Sedition's Gate. Which are both Anthology's. Fucking excited about that... Still really hope everyone involved in pushing audio novels dies in the same car accident as well. I'm not going to listen to some jackass trying to sound like a space marine and gunning a chainsaw no matter how much I love the lore and setting.
    Last edited by Taloo; 11-22-2014 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Wrong title.

Tuconots
    I thought Damnation of Pythis was pretty good, just finished it. I think Annandale is a pretty darn good writer actually.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
    I thought Damnation of Pythis was pretty good, just finished it. I think Annandale is a pretty darn good writer actually.
    Yeah it's not bad by any means. I probably judge it a little more harshly than it deserves simply because it does fuck all to advance the HH story. Nothing new in the book matters and afaik it doesn't involve established lore. I don't want to get to detailed due to spoilers but the story of how X came to take part in the battle of terra doesn't matter. X has never been mentioned that I know of and I would rather have got a meaningful story about shit that matters or advanced the fucking story some.

Astr0creep of Sports
    Tuconots

Tuconots
    Just finished Vampire Genevieve. It was good. It was a collection of short stories that tied in together in sometimes unexpected ways. Not all were about Genevieve and Detlef Sierk, which is mentioned in other books has major parts.

Started Blood Angels and it is difficult to start; I've tried 4 times now.
    Warrior, Innoruuk Server

Tuconots
    Just finished Scars and Spirit of Vengeance. They are really doing a good job making the less known primarchs into badasses. Also loved the return of Horus and the Mourinval but wasn't too keen on the direction of the first Death Watch mission. Don't get me wrong; the individual members were good but the 40k Death Watch missions all served mysterious and much greater purposes. This was their introduction and it seemed forced in to have them confront Horus. It just felt wrong.
    Draegan's bitch ass sold us out to MMORPG.com

Exodus underway to ReReRolled.org - A Gaming Community

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by OUAriakas View Post
    Just finished Scars and Spirit of Vengeance. They are really doing a good job making the less known primarchs into badasses. Also loved the return of Horus and the Mourinval but wasn't too keen on the direction of the first Death Watch mission. Don't get me wrong; the individual members were good but the 40k Death Watch missions all served mysterious and much greater purposes. This was their introduction and it seemed forced in to have them confront Horus. It just felt wrong.
    Not to nitpick but the Deathwatch was formed to allow for Inquisitors to call on space marines when appropriate as it's a criminal misuse of resources to have Grey Knights serving a purpose for which standard astartes are qualified. Keep in mind it can be more mysterious and serve some great purpose the author came up with because they are set in or close to the current timeline. Whereas the HH novels while having room to create new lore, retconn old lore, and even create new events need to take place within a story line where we already have an outline of what happens, in what order, and how it all turns out in the end. They are also stories that take place in a setting where there is only war and the laughter of thirsting gods. HH novels take place during the downward spiral that begins with humanity all but ruling the stars and ready to put war behind them in the not so distant future. Ready to take their place as the undisputed rulers of all creation before Horus's corruption and treachery drives them towards the eventual death of that bright potential and the destruction of everything they have built. As well as the people who built it. But most importantly they are there to tell the story of what happened and anything that doesn't further that goal and either explain the situations and motivations of important players or get us closer to Terra is simply extraneous bullshit(Damnation of Pythos cough).

It's actually the birth of the Inquisition/Grey Knights. For example the hunter guy Nagasena and Amendera Kendel are just as much Malcador's agents as Garro or Loken they just have a different role to play. Their pilot in Spirit of Vengence is a clade assassin seconded to assist Malcador's agents and under their command. The over representation of Astartes is simply due the time period. Those who have both the capability to be useful and can be trusted to remain loyal and discrete are for the most part loyalist Astartes or those from the traitor legions who chose their oaths to Terrra, The Emperor, and the dream he represents of an ascendant and dominate human race over loyalty to their traitor fathers. The novels even go so far as to spell it out by saying(I'll have to paraphrase) "Malcador has need of those with an... inquisitive nature." It hasn't happened yet and I can't see it happening until after the Battle for Terra but I imagine splitting the agents up to form what we now know as the Inquisition and Grey Knights chapter will happen in the aftermath either as one of Malcador's final orders or at the behest of The Emperor during the short period of time after his internment in the golden throne where he is capable of actively participating in restructuring/consolidating the Imperium. The gaol on Titan of course being re-purposed as the Grey Knight chapter fortress and the decision to recruit strictly psykers as candidates being made to better suit their refined role as the counter to daemonic threats while the non-astartes go on to become the founding members of the Inquisition with the role of preventing those and other threats from occurring.

Knights-Errant - Lexicanum

Inquisition - Lexicanum

God damn that got long. Hate GW with a passion but the 40k setting and lore is awesome.

Tuconots
    Just started the Horus Heresy (and warhammer 40k in general) two months ago. I'm going in the order on the warhammer Wiki and I just finished Battle for the Abyss. It was alright. I'm really digging the brutality of the books. Really glad I found this thread.

Tuconots
    I just finished Prospero Burns.

Trying to decide if it's the best Heresy novel yet.

Tuconots
    I'm bouncing between the HH and the "current" novels. I'm still getting the hang of the terminology used in the books. I'm really enjoying them though. I haven't read this much in years.

Tuconots
    It will be a sad day when I'm caught up on my HH novels.

Tuconots
    I just finished William King's last Maccharian crusade novel as well as Chris Wraight's newest Space Wolves novel. King's series is good, he is one of the more reliable of the games workshop writers, though it does have a rather unfufilling ending. Wraight's novel is the more interesting as it expands and breaks the typical 40k canon rules. It should be interesting to see where it goes.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Friday View Post
    I just finished Prospero Burns.

Trying to decide if it's the best Heresy novel yet.
    You will decide yes..... until you get to First Heretic.

Tuconots
    Really looking forward to that one

Tuconots
    Prospero Burns was terrible and forgettable. The First Heretic is a strong contender for the best book of the series.

Tuconots
    Who are some of the best authors to look for? HH and after?

Tuconots
    Hi. I usually read fantasy books and I'm pretty picky about what I read. Honestly I thought 40k books would be a step above fanfiction. However, I listen to the Independent Characters podcast and they recommended a couple of books in the last year so I thought I'd give it a try. I read Guy Haley's Baneblade and Aaron Demsky-Bowden's the Talon of Horus. I enjoyed them both, although I had a hard time rooting for the bad guys in the latter. They're interesting characters, driven and not without honor, however they are still out to destroy/enslave humanity... Is there a series of books out that's pushing the 40k narrative from the Imperium's side? Most times books I see that are recommended are the Horus Heresy books and that's 30k, right?

Tuconots
    Dan Abnett Eisenhorn is rad.

Tuconots
    Honestly, you should start with the Eisenhorn series and then move on to the Ravenor series. They give you a really good look into how every faction in 40k is shades of grey.

Edit: Grumblethorn beat me to it by 5 minutes. Both the trilogies above are by Dan Abnett.
    Last edited by OUAriakas; 01-14-2015 at 09:32 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinmad View Post
    Prospero Burns was terrible and forgettable. The First Heretic is a strong contender for the best book of the series.
    First Heretic has the best chapter in the entire series, it just happens to be the first chapter in the book.

Tuconots
    Dan Abnett is my favorite, Graham is good too. I liked the big trilogy books (Space Marine Chapters and IG like Gaunts etc) a good place to start as well as the books of short stories (Victories of the Space Marines etc) as well as Eisenhorn for sure. The Horus Heresy series is so fucking good but probably not the best to start with (learn more of the universe lore first) I also liked a lot of the early battle series (I think they are called?) the best one imo was the one about the Templar chaplain on Armageddon, Helsreach.

I also really like reading the ones from the Chaos SM view, I think they are almost always interesting.
    Currently playing HotS and Overwatch

Tuconots
    Thanks guys. I'll get started on Eisenhorn.

Tuconots
    Awesome. Thanks for the suggestions.

Tuconots
    Keep in mind that Eisenhorn-Pariah/Emperor's Gift is not "current" either so it can conflict with current events in some ways but it is by far the best introduction. Gaunts's Ghosts is another great series although I started to like them less after the Sabbat Arc. Some of the older hard to find stuff is fun to read but crazy out there like Inquisition War or Last Chancers. The best overall introduction to the setting is the lore overviews in the various rule books and army codexs. Partial to 2nd edition of that stuff myself but the current editions are obviously closer to current cannon. The lexicanum wiki is just as easy to lose a day in as most wiki's for the more obscure stuff that gets referenced in some books. I'm ashamed of how much useless 40k lore and info I have floating in my head but even I learn new stuff every time I fuck around there.

Tuconots
    Another great resource on everything 40k is : Warhammer 40,000 - 1d4chan

The section about Angron, the Primarch of the World Eaters is particularly awesome.

Registered User Commander Vimeseh's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Not mentioning the caiphis Cain series for someone getting in to the universe is blasphemy.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander Vimeseh View Post
    Not mentioning the caiphis Cain series for someone getting in to the universe is blasphemy.
    While the Cain books are awesome, they are an aberration (purge the unclean!) in the 40k universe because of their humor.

Off-topic, has anyone read Fall of Altdorf yet? I like Wraight and am wondering what the master plan is with this arc.

Tuconots
    Just finished "Mechanicum" I really liked it. Are there any other books in the Horus Heresy that deal with events apart the Space Marines?

Tuconots
    The Lords Of Mars series was spectacular though not set in the HH universe.

Tuconots
    Titanicus was pretty good (but also not in HH timeframe I don't think - been awhile since I've read it).

Tuconots
    Legion has very little legion perspective. Nemesis is assassins. Other than that the odd novella or anthology story. Maybe audio books but fuck those wouldn't in w.

In the Panhandle waiting for death by Tornado.
    Tuconots
    Does anyone know much about these End Times books Games Workshop has been putting out? It seems like its a big book of fluff and a book of rules. I know one for Skaven came out recently Thanquol. I don't have anyone to game with out here so I don't care about the rules but are the fluff books worth the 50-60 dollar price? I still really enjoy the history and the art.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Friday View Post
    The Lords Of Mars series was spectacular though not set in the HH universe.
    Picked this up last night. Cheers

Tuconots
    Is there a timeline out there for the post HH books?

Tuconots
    Made the mistake of googling a warhammer timeline, found the wikia and there went half the night...

Tuconots
    That's what happened to me. I was hoping to find a site that's less distracting.

Tuconots
    It doesn't matter much in most cases and would be a god awful headache to try and list everything in order with the correct dates. The high notes off the top of my head would be Pre- Heresy, Heresy, Post Heresy, and Pre/Post Age of Apostasy. For things that don't involve those you have distant past which will be fluff lore and things that are mentioned but not depicted outside of the occasional lore blurb in a codex or what have you. Recent past which is the last 2,000 years or so where 99% of non HH stories and novels take place. Then current events which I would lump in anything referencing a time period immediately before or after the turn of the millennium and 13th Black Crusade.

They do a decent job of pointing out what you need to know about when the story takes place. From the imperial point of view it rarely even matters since almost no one knows fuck all about anything that isn't currently happening anyhow and if they did the IQ would probably put a bullet in their head. Throw the warp fucking with an individuals time frame into the mix and you may as well give up. The Night Lords series for example featuring characters who besieged the Imperial Palace less than 500 relative years (generous estimate) later preparing for the 13th Black Crusade at the end of the series. A lot of stories aren't even dated in any meaningful way.

If you don't mind me asking why are you bothering to look it up? Just curious? Personally I just don't pay attention to it beyond something like this.
    Spoiler: 
    Zael
    from the Ravenor series was present at the first war for Armageddon. Which was long long before the second war. Yarrick was in the second war. The third war is current timeline and Yarrick is also there so 2/3 are recent/current history. Which places the first war towards the end of "recent" history at best. Which places Ravenor/Eisenhorn a decent bit prior to that.
    Spoiler: 
    For certain prior to/concurrent with the discovery of the first Tyranid hive fleet because Ravenor does not recognize them in the Wych house despite being of the Ordo Xenos
    . In my examples there actually were dates but the numbers don't really mean shit to me beyond current(ish) and a long ass time ago. I just work it out as I go along because it never matters as far as the story goes.

Tuconots
    Only reason I was asking is because I'm new to the series and wanted to keep the timeline straight. I didn't know if it mattered on the grand scale since most of the books that tie together seem to be released in an omnibus. You have more than answered my question. Thank you sir.

Tuconots
    Erm, I don't exactly want to tag an entire post because of spoilers, since I can't adequately gauge what people in the thread have read but I'll just do it like this:

FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T READ UP TO UNREMEMBERED EMPIRE IN THE HORUS HERESY SERIES SPOILERS BELOW

I'm trying to figure out how they're going to go about sticking with canon as far as Sanguinius and the Blood Angels ending up at Terra without Guilliman, Lion and their respective legions. From the older fluff, it was always sort of established they booked it straight to Terra from Signus Prime, but the whole Imperium Secundus thing kinda throws that off. It's especially confusing since the Ultramarines and Dark Angels can't make it until after the siege, which from all credible sources took months to come to an end. I'm guessing it's going to have something to do with Curze. Someone upon high in GW/Black Library is Mary Sueing the fuck out of him. I could've passed it off as one author having a boner for the Night Haunter but when Abnett gets sucked in to silliness like Curze taking on three Primarchs in short succession and living, I've got to wonder about what GW's plans are for future Night Lords miniatures. Still, they have a get out of jail free card for Sevatar, well, being Sevatar.

Another thing's bugging the hell out of me, too. In Vengeful Spirit, Russ is on Terra. The Space Wolves never made it to Terra during the siege. But they get there conveniently late, and Russ isn't there during the siege. What the actual fuck?

I've loved a lot of the work that has been put out there over the years, but I think at this point GW is just fucking around, trying to print as much as possible before they have to kill off 'ol Empy.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathcaster View Post
    Erm, I don't exactly want to tag an entire post because of spoilers, since I can't adequately gauge what people in the thread have read but I'll just do it like this:

FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T READ UP TO UNREMEMBERED EMPIRE IN THE HORUS HERESY SERIES SPOILERS BELOW

I'm trying to figure out how they're going to go about sticking with canon as far as Sanguinius and the Blood Angels ending up at Terra without Guilliman, Lion and their respective legions. From the older fluff, it was always sort of established they booked it straight to Terra from Signus Prime, but the whole Imperium Secundus thing kinda throws that off. It's especially confusing since the Ultramarines and Dark Angels can't make it until after the siege, which from all credible sources took months to come to an end. I'm guessing it's going to have something to do with Curze. Someone upon high in GW/Black Library is Mary Sueing the fuck out of him. I could've passed it off as one author having a boner for the Night Haunter but when Abnett gets sucked in to silliness like Curze taking on three Primarchs in short succession and living, I've got to wonder about what GW's plans are for future Night Lords miniatures. Still, they have a get out of jail free card for Sevatar, well, being Sevatar.

Another thing's bugging the hell out of me, too. In Vengeful Spirit, Russ is on Terra. The Space Wolves never made it to Terra during the siege. But they get there conveniently late, and Russ isn't there during the siege. What the actual fuck?

I've loved a lot of the work that has been put out there over the years, but I think at this point GW is just fucking around, trying to print as much as possible before they have to kill off 'ol Empy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taloo View Post
    Empire takes place before Betrayer as far as I can tell. Pretty sure Gulliman would have mention Angron turning into a giant fucking demon. Assume they get bogged down defending Ultramar/"hold the gate" so that the Blood Angels can make it to terra via holding traitor forces at bay or deus ex machina way out of the ruin storm. Not sure whats up with the Dark Angels. 2nd edition era lore had them returning to Caliban after the siege of terra but without having participated in the fighting as they could not arrive in time to participate.

If I had to guess BAs take the "spotlight device" to terra/use it to navigate. Ultramarines garrison Ultramar and protect said device to prevent Lorgar from following(Angron makes it to terra but afaik Lorgar did not). World Eaters break through and head for terra. Johnson leaves Gulliman hanging to pursue them to terra or for some other agenda which becomes the basis for rumors he was waiting for a victor to emerge.

Stab in the dark on Johnson. Every book and story he has been in depicts him in a wildly different way. Sevatar is still aboard his flagship as of Empire. Curze is planetside. Johnson has possession of some form of entity I can't recall that can cause or abate intense warp storms in addition to the capacity to instantly transport men to ships in orbit and then force those same ships to instantly translate to the warp at will. A Watcher in the Dark is aboard his flagship and converses with him and he is aware that shits not great on Caliban(which contradicts prior lore where the first anyone knew of Luthers rebellion was when they were fired on after reaching Caliban post siege). He kills one of his senior chaplains in a fit of rage and shows no remorse nor does anyone question it. He gives incredibly powerful siege engine to Perturabo rather than sequester them like you would expect since he was well aware that loyalties were in question. Think Johnson has more loose ends than anyone else atm. No idea where they are trying to take him.
    Typed the above a while ago. TL/DR Yeah shit doesn't make sense yet.

They trade Russ for Jaghati pretty much. Russ leaves to chase Horus during/after VS. He gets ambushed by the Alpha Legion and is sitting in a nebula or some shit hiding. Jaghati sides with the loyalists and since Dorn tells him to get home ASAP he tells Russ sorry bro can't help good luck but I'ma peace out later. Which leaves him on the way to terra "now" and Russ still sitting wherever he was unable to leave.

Curze is kind of a badass though. He makes everyone uncomfortable and as "scared" as a primarch is capable of being. He beat Dorn almost to death. He fought Johnson to a standstill for the most part and would have killed him without intervention once even though Johnson stabbed him with no warning at the start of the fight. Although Johnson did push his shit in at least once. He made Corax run off scared rather than fight him. He has no restraint is what I think they try to show. Loyalist A says don't make me kill you bro and Curze replies with a dive tackle and screams about skull fucking children. At the end of the day though all the primarchs are on a pretty level playing field when it comes to a stand up fight. With the possible exceptions of Alpharius/Omegon who are smaller and presumably weaker on their own and pre-Istvaan Lorgar who was a little bitch. The narrative is the only reason anyone ever loses a fight. With that said fighting primarchs in succession wouldn't be a huge ordeal barring a near death injury or destruction of wargear. Even space marines can fight for days on end with little to no fatigue. Primarchs are way beyond that and heal about as fucking fast as Wolverine. Having your skull smashed into a few dozen pieces is just a minor irritation for these guys.

Tuconots
    Is there a place to find all the books published to date in a torrent anywhere? Lost all the books I had and want to read em again.

Tuconots
    Private trackers were best before I moved and torrenting was no longer an option. Anonomouse is what I was using but I got banned for not seeding a few torrents for long enough after my house was destroyed in a flood haha. So haven't used them since like April of last year. When I have stable net and care I can probably get it rescinded by talking to mods but meh. I doubt you will find a torrent with everything but there's normally a few with big bulks of it around. All HH, Gaunt's Ghosts, Cain novels, etc.

Buy the good novels when they hit paperback though. I was adamant about not downloading them back in the day because they were reasonable and worth the purchase. $50 e-books and $60 hard backs only available from GW stores for however many months can fuck right off though and I hope whoever started that shit burns in hell.
    Last edited by Taloo; 02-23-2015 at 01:00 AM.

Tuconots
    A friend of mine lent me the Eisenhorn trilogy. I finished it in a week. What a fun read.

Tuconots

Anything good come out in the last 6 months? I've been in a cave.

Tuconots
    Vulkan Lives came out. It is decent. If you like Nic Kyme writing Salamanders then you will probably enjoy it.

Tuconots
    That's from last May. Guess I could have just googled it. Need to read Scars, Vengeful Spirit, Damnation of Pythos, and Legacies of Betrayal for HH books.

My non HH books I mean to catch up on

The Chapter's Due
    Wolfblade, Son's of Fenris, Wolf's Honor
    Abaddon
    Dark Hunters
    Ahriman series (maybe)
    Caiphas Cain series (probably, i really like sandy mitchell)
    Night Lords series
    Space Marine Battles (own the first 2, havent read any others)
    Firedrake, Nocturne, Tome of Fire
    Word Bearers series (maybe)

I think since about 2009 I mostly stopped staying on top of 40K books aside from HH. I'm a pretty voracious reader but holy shit that's a lot of books to catch up on.

Tuconots
    The worst part about 40k and the HH is that they don't keep a running chronology or list of books by release date. Here are my thoughts on the ones you listed:

Scars - It was about 6/10. I liked that the Scars and the Khan were front and center.

Vengeful Spirit - Any novel about the traitor legions is good for me and this one had some good character development. 6/10

Damnation of Pythos - This read more like a stand alone battle novel than a HH book. It wasn't great. 4/10

Legacies of Betrayal - I have loved 90% of the WH40k and HH anthologies because you get a bunch of smaller stories that end quickly. That is good for a bunch of these authors because they seem to struggle more when they get to novel length sagas. Legacies is more of the same and for me that was a great thing. 8/10

Ahriman series (maybe) - read the first one, was not impressed enough to read the next few.

Night Lords series - Read it. Read it now. ADB is my favorite author for BL right now and I consider these the best books (not named First Heretic) I've read in the last few years. 9/10

Firedrake, Nocturne, Tome of Fire - More Nic Kyme Salamanders. If you like the HH ones then you will like these. I consider them pretty average.

Word Bearers series (maybe) - It was good but not super memorable.

Tuconots
    ADB is amazing. I really have trouble choosing between him, Abnett, and McNeill. Abnett's contributions to HH have been mediocre but obviously his other 40K books speak for themselves. Aside from Mechanicum, McNeill's HH books are most of the best novels in the series. Bowden's The First Heretic really blew me away though, and I consider it the best book in the series. I also really liked The Emperor's Gift, it was much better than Grey Knights and Dark Adeptus, and I really loved the Ravenor easter egg.

Tuconots
    The Chapter's due is good, it was nice to wrap that story up. I haven't kept up with these in about a year or so as well, I'll go pick up the Night Lords series this weekend. Also need to pick up the new Eisenhorn book (still only 1 out?).

Tuconots
    Well the dude I need to DL Scars and Legacies of Betrayal from hasn't been in the irc channel for a week. Vengeful Spirit was pretty good, Damnation of Pythos was fucking terrible.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch View Post
    The Chapter's due is good, it was nice to wrap that story up. I haven't kept up with these in about a year or so as well, I'll go pick up the Night Lords series this weekend. Also need to pick up the new Eisenhorn book (still only 1 out?).
    Still only one, Abnett is verry far behind right now. On the bright side they just released a new Ghosts' anthology a few weeks back with 2-3 short stories by Abnett that are set (mostly) between Salvation's Reach and the upcoming book. As usual it is (barring one or two stories) good for 40k.

Tuconots
    Gav, I have both of those. PM me your email address.

Arch, I cannot even find a release date for the second in the Bequin Trilogy. There is a thread at Heresy Online from March that says this November...but who knows.

Has anyone read the Eldar series? Is it any good?

Tuconots
    The dude I needed was actually on undernet last night so I downloaded a whole bunch of shit. Including a couple short story collections that were only released at 40k events or whatever. Got through Scars last night, was quite pleased with it. The Imperial Truth is next.

Tuconots
    I feel like I need to get in on this torrent business for some of these books heh.

Tuconots
    My interest in this series has fluctuated over the years. I can't believe this series started in 2006/2007 !

Of the more semi-recent books...

Betrayer (I have not read this is it a good one?)

Angel Exterminatus I found was ok-ish.

Vulkan lives. I made it through the first 50 pages I think and thought this was crap (does it get better ?)

The Unremembered Empire. I have tried this twice and just can't get into it (again does it get better ?).

Scars. I really enjoyed this, was a real gem.

Vengeful Spirit. This was ok.

The Damnation of Pythos. Again just ok.

Tuconots
    Honestly, Scars made the White Scars my new favorite chapter/legion.

Tuconots
    Yeah Scars, Prospero Burns and Fulgrim have been the Diamonds in this series for me so far.

Tuconots
    Prospero Burns sucked. GTFO.

Maybe you meant A Thousand Sons was one of the diamonds of the series, cause then you'd be right. But the Prospero Burns perspective of all that was garbage.

Tuconots
    I dare someone to say First Heretic wasn't the best book in the series so far

Tuconots
    First Heretic wasn't just the best book in the series so far it's one of the best 40K books ever written

Tuconots
    Prospero Burns sucked. GTFO.

Maybe you meant A Thousand Sons was one of the diamonds of the series, cause then you'd be right. But the Prospero Burns perspective of all that was garbage.
    Yeah A Thousand Sons was great, I didn't mind Prospero Burns. Needed more time for the Author to develop it, but it was not the typical Wolves book which is so predictable. (This is the one with the Skald yeah ?)

I feel our relationship ended before it even begun

Tuconots
    I enjoyed getting Space Wolf stuff that was based on actual ancient nordic/germanic traditions instead of them being romanticized space vikings. The story itself, however, meandered all over the place, had little to do with the Heresy, and had almost nothing to do with Prospero either. The only really cool part of Prospero Burns was the way they introduced Bjorn.

Tuconots
    Been a while since I read Prospero Burns. But now that you mentioned it I do remember it jumping around a fair bit.

My understanding is that the Authors get limited time to pump these novels out, and that really can impact the story telling as it did for this book. Maybe I have fonder memories of what this book of been as opposed to what it was.

That was 5 years ago I read that as well, I am going to be 120 years old by the time they finish this series if I am lucky.

Tuconots
    Despite being one of the better 40K authors they have, Dan Abnett's contributions to the Horus Heresy series haven't been very good. Horus Rising to kick it all off was fine, but Legion was dumb because it not only turned the Alpha Legion primarch into twins, it made their motivations for siding with Horus retarded and it established this stupid precedent for 'we are such badass infiltrators we can do anything we want' that has continued in every single mention of the Alpha Legion since. I've voiced my complaints about Prospero Burns, and Know No Fear was just a disappointing collection of barely connected short stories set during the Battle for Calth. Unremembered Empire was an ok story, except that it radically changes the established canon of the end of the Heresy on Terra.

Originally, Sanguinius and the Blood Angels are on Terra while Horus had arranged for the Ultramarines to be too far away and delayed by the Word Bearer attack on Calth. Finding out the Ultramarines were almost to Terra is what prompted Horus to lower the shields on the Vengeful Spirit, leading to the final showdown with the Emperor, because he knew he couldn't resist the forces still on Terra + the Ultramarines. Now, how the hell does Sanguinius get to Terra in time to take part in the defense without Guilliman basically being a traitor for not leaving with him?

Tuconots
    Dues Ex Machina? They will use that other warp travel they found and it will magically whisk them there? Painted themselves in a corner there.

Tuconots
    Despite being one of the better 40K authors they have, Dan Abnett's contributions to the Horus Heresy series haven't been very good. Horus Rising to kick it all off was fine, but Legion was dumb because it not only turned the Alpha Legion primarch into twins, it made their motivations for siding with Horus retarded and it established this stupid precedent for 'we are such badass infiltrators we can do anything we want' that has continued in every single mention of the Alpha Legion since. I've voiced my complaints about Prospero Burns, and Know No Fear was just a disappointing collection of barely connected short stories set during the Battle for Calth. Unremembered Empire was an ok story, except that it radically changes the established canon of the end of the Heresy on Terra.

Originally, Sanguinius and the Blood Angels are on Terra while Horus had arranged for the Ultramarines to be too far away and delayed by the Word Bearer attack on Calth. Finding out the Ultramarines were almost to Terra is what prompted Horus to lower the shields on the Vengeful Spirit, leading to the final showdown with the Emperor, because he knew he couldn't resist the forces still on Terra + the Ultramarines. Now, how the hell does Sanguinius get to Terra in time to take part in the defense without Guilliman basically being a traitor for not leaving with him?
    I actually liked the Twins and the Cabal and all that nonsense. I also find the ninjaspy legion to be nice and it differentiates them from everyone else. Also their motivation of stopping Chaos once and for all by letting mankind destroy itself seems a noble enough one to me. Alpha Legion sees the big picture and shit yo. Way more interesting than Angron-Smash! at any rate.

Tuconots
    Is there a list anywhere which rates the Horus Heresy books in terms of readability? I've really enjoyed some of them, but others have been either boring or completely nonsensical (Descent of Angels in particular made me really 'wtf,' they obviously skimped on the editing for that one).
    " I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"

Tuconots
    I mean if you list the ones that you've liked I can try and recommend the remainder that you might enjoy. Battle for the Abyss is the only really dog shit terrible book imo. Mechanicum is just kind of eh and outta left field. Lot of folks don't like Legion and I hated it on the first pass. Actually kind of like it now though. The Cabal is all around retarded but I like John. Flight is kind of weak. Dark Angels novels are kind of ?? although I do like the first book ending aside and really liked Zahariel as a character. Nemesis was kind of just who gives a shit about this, same with Pythos. Angel Exterminatus wasn't to my taste Perturabo aside. Outcast Dead is another self contained none of this matters but we need to introduce some minor characters novel. Vulkan Lives wasn't to my taste. Deathfire was better but is still a novellas worth of story in a novel sized package. All three or so of the books that aren't named in this post are just okay. They tell a story worth telling but aren't remarkable. Shit happens and the story progresses can't complain.

In no particular order First Heretic, Fulgrim, opening trilogy, Betrayer, Fear to Tread, Vengeful Spirit(not sold on the new plot points but enjoyed the book), Scars, A Thousand Sons, and Prospero Burns would be my own "short list" as of now. Burns doesn't really belong due to the plot being... but I just love how it handles the Space Wolves and I enjoy the outsiders perspective narrative. Abnett is quite good at driving home just how post human the astartes are in that exact manner. The novels without much human involvement kind of... forget that space marines are absolute freaks of nature and that the Primarchs can obliterate the strongest of them with almost effortless disdain if they so choose.
    Spoiler: 
    Fulgrim strangling a god damn Avatar with his bare hands anyone? The dude is the effete prissy one ffs.

Tuconots
    I actually LOVED Angel Exterminatus. I never gave a shit about Purturabo and thought his reason for turning (that everyone just considers him a weaker clone of Rogal Dorn) was just whining because that is what he was. The novel just makes him into maybe the most rational primarch that came down on the traitor side because he really was taken for granted. Also, assisting with Angron's transformation is fun to read about.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by OUAriakas View Post
    I actually LOVED Angel Exterminatus. I never gave a shit about Purturabo and thought his reason for turning (that everyone just considers him a weaker clone of Rogal Dorn) was just whining because that is what he was. The novel just makes him into maybe the most rational primarch that came down on the traitor side because he really was taken for granted. Also, assisting with Angron's transformation is fun to read about.
    Yeah I should have qualified it. I absolutely loved how they portrayed Perturabo. It was perfect and I cannot wait to see where they take him next. But the Loyalist PoV and the Emperor's Children stuff was just mediocre at best to me and that one aspect being great wasn't enough to carry the book for me.

Tuconots
    The portrayal of Perturabo was what kept me reading the Angel Exterminatus.

The authors do have issues keeping up standards though, I don't think the character Fulgrim has been as interesting or a engaging since he was first introduced.

Tuconots
    Bumping since I just finished the last of what's been released since Deathfire. Enjoyed Path of Heaven but it wasn't any thing vlis to how amazing Scars was. Pharos was okay. Anthologies where half the stories are shit that's already been released are fucking infuriating as always.

Tuconots
    Anyone know where to get the story where Cypher was working with Abaddon, who was unknowingly working for the Deceiver, Abaddon pisses Cypher off somehow and he fucks Abaddon up on the bridge of his ship.

Kinda dying to read that.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Lleauaric View Post
    Anyone know where to get the story where Cypher was working with Abaddon, who was unknowingly working for the Deceiver, Abaddon pisses Cypher off somehow and he fucks Abaddon up on the bridge of his ship.

Kinda dying to read that.
    Current time line or heresy? Haven't seen it anywhere yet but I'll pm you if I do. Honestly I barely bother keeping track these days.

Tuconots
    Would like to read this too, there is a short in cyphers data slate where he shows up on board abanddon's ship and kills a few black legion for speaking out of turn but that is not as in depth as what you describe.

Tuconots
    There has never been a dark angels story that wasn't completely retarded, and that includes the HH stories.

Tuconots
    Entirely true. Which is a shame, loved the Caliban part of the first book and the Thramas Crusade novella.

Tuconots

Thread Information