Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Smartphones (iOS, Android, WP, etc.)

Tuconots

Smartphones (iOS, Android, WP, etc.)

=
    Last edited by Bels; 08-04-2014 at 08:03 AM.

Registered User The Dauntless One's Avatar
    Tuconots
    HTC has some really good hardware designs (HOX still best screen I've seen imo), but if their software continue to lags behind, no one will buy them again. My HOXL is still on ICS, which is a 2012 flagship device (before Butterfly J and DNA).

Tuconots
    Finally got my Lumia 920. After having a 3GS for almost 3 years, I'm absolutely blown away by this phone. I've never seen a display as clear or as crisp. I honestly think it blows my monitor out of the water. The screen size, the size of the phone, everything about it is near perfect. My only complaint so far is battery life. With just about 1-2ish hours of web browsing, by the end of the day, it was at around 55%. The rest of the day it was in stand-by. Also not a big fan of how Facebook and other social networking is handled by the "people" tile(it's a much better process to use the specific apps, or hell, just use the web address). However, the way it automatically tied my Facebook friends to my contacts was fucking awesome.

Tuconots
    HTC charging ports are the worse. At work it is the first thing to fail on the phone and they never honor the warranty. I had an EVO it lasted 4 months before the port came loose they told me to pay $100 to replace it. F that, I went back to my original iPhone and used it till the 4s. IOS might not be as impressive as android, but the hardware in my experience is spot on. My 15 month old now uses my old 3G for watching video's. Still works even with him tossing it around on our hardwood floors.

Tuconots
    Got my Nexus 4 yesterday. The phone is awesome. There isn't anything that it doesn't do in a snap. No lag whatsoever. Coming from a GNex is strange since the AMOLED is over-saturated as hell. Cheap S-line TPU case I bought is fantastic, too.

Tuconots
    Moto Razr Maxx HD oh god I love battery life

I LOVE HIBBERT LIKE OMG
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidDeath View Post
    Got my Nexus 4 yesterday. The phone is awesome. There isn't anything that it doesn't do in a snap. No lag whatsoever. Coming from a GNex is strange since the AMOLED is over-saturated as hell. Cheap S-line TPU case I bought is fantastic, too.
    Ya, I love my Nexus 4. I got that S-Line too, just until the official bumper comes back in stock. If you're looking for a full body protector this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o04_s00_i00

Has been getting great reviews.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tral View Post
    Moto Razr Maxx HD oh god I love battery life
    I had the first RAZR and the fucker was dead by noon. Thought about getting the Maxx but went with the Galaxy S3 instead. Best phone I have ever owned.

Tuconots
    I just rolled out over 300 Galaxy S3 devices to my field employees last month. We love everything about them. I've been a huge proponent of the android OS, but I won't deny that iOS has done wonders for the mobile industry and I'm thankful for it. For me and my staff though, android meets all our business needs, gives us better(more) hardware options and are all cost effective. We also use android tablets (about 50 in the field) with great success. I personally still use my Droid Bionic because it just works, and I'm semi-attached to my universal motorola dock that works for both my phone and my tablet.

Tuconots
    Coming from a GNex is strange since the AMOLED is over-saturated as hell. .
    Also had a Galaxy Nexus previously, agree 100% on the over-saturated screen!

Tuconots
    =
    Last edited by Bels; 08-04-2014 at 08:02 AM.

Tuconots
    I'm having an issue with the site and my Lumia 920. Whenever I try to reply, whether it's an advanced reply or quick, the keyboard will come up for 1-2 seconds and then disappears. Anybody have any clue? I tried change the browser settings from mobile to desktop and it still doesn't fix it.

Tuconots
    Its just rerolled.org? also is Dreagan using WYSIWYG for the website ?
    Last edited by Homsar; 12-07-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Tuconots
    I think so. I haven't attempted other forums yet, since I don't dare brave the malware bullshit on the cesspool that is FoHGuild on a non-PC(I guess I could try PRX's forums). It definitely doesn't happen in other sites that require text input for things.

Tuconots
    I messaged Dreagan to see what he used to make the forum. I know there is issues with WP and posting on sites built with WYSIWYG and thats prolly the case here and why its somewhat of a pain to embed videos.
    Last edited by Homsar; 12-08-2012 at 01:09 AM.

Tuconots
    Seems to work on an iPhone (in both mobile and desktop modes). Posting this from mine now.

Tuconots
    Yeah like I said, it seems to be an issue with WP depended on how they built the website
    Last edited by Homsar; 12-08-2012 at 02:58 AM.

Tuconots
    Just picked up a Galaxy Note 2 the other day, fantastic phone. Any recommendations on apps / games? Going to be rooting it in the next day or so, specifically so I can hook up my PS3 controller and play some mario / starfox.
    Last edited by Toxxulian; 12-08-2012 at 02:42 AM.

Tuconots
    Hows the build quality on your Nexus 4's? I'm very leery about LG quality and how they can price it at $299 without cutting corners. That said, I'm still considering it for my next phone.

Tuconots
    Titanium back up
    Team win recovery twrp
    Root explorer
    Dolphin boat or ocean browsers
    Media house for nas
    Nova launcher

The stock swype like keyboard isn't bad you can also check out swype beta and Swift key flow I think it's called.

Recommend deleting everything Samsung once you get root unless you use it especially the syncing features which are mostly redundant with Google. Saves battery even though the note 2 had stellar battery every bit helps.

I LOVE HIBBERT LIKE OMG
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderCougarFalconBird View Post
    Hows the build quality on your Nexus 4's? I'm very leery about LG quality and how they can price it at $299 without cutting corners. That said, I'm still considering it for my next phone.
    I think the build quality is amazing. It feels solid and well built. I haven't noticed any issues.

Tuconots
    It seems most people on XDA are giving it good reviews. You get a few people there who obviously aren't telling the truth when they "set down the phone" and broke the back glass. I'm pretty sure the back isn't Gorilla Glass 2, but I'm hoping that it'll stand up over time. Mine is still on order from the 28th, though I just had another line item show up in my Play Store account, as well as having a pending charge for another phone. It seems they've added another this morning (with the correct shipping information from my first device) and modified my order from the 28th and it now shows Dec 4th as the "order date."

Hopefully I'll get one of them soon. Hell, even if they end up charging me for two and sending a pair, I'll still be able to sell it on ebay or CL for a slight profit. It seems some of the people who ordered on Dec 6th have already had devices shipped out this morning, so I'm tentatively hopeful that this second charge will just mean I get a device sooner instead of 6 weeks out.

Tuconots
    I managed to drop my HTC One S into water... the phone starts up again, receives emails and messages, but the touchscreen is completely non-responsible. The incident happened about two weeks ago and I tried putting it in rice.

Is there anything else I should try that might fix it? Is it possible to resell it for parts?

I have a Nexus 4 coming, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to throw away the old phone.

Tuconots
    Sounds like sell it for parts on eBay.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaige View Post
    Ya, I love my Nexus 4. I got that S-Line too, just until the official bumper comes back in stock. If you're looking for a full body protector this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o04_s00_i00

Has been getting great reviews.
    Funny you should mention it because I ordered that exact full body protector from Amazon and put it on my phone last night. I'm an idiot, though, and didn't do it in a place with enough light so I ended up with 2 bubbles on my screen. Looks like I'll be cashing in on the lifetime warranty much sooner than expected. I have to say, putting this thing on seemed to be more difficult than putting on a Zagg screen. Also, it seems to me that the curved edges of the Nexus 4 don't want to play well with the protector at all.

Tuconots
    Feels as solid as an iPhone or a Lumia. It's a really well built phone that feels great in the hand.

Most of these high end phones cost about $200-250 to build, ya know. The iPhone 5 is an incredibly well built phone and isuppli pegs it at $200 BOM.

It seems Google is selling the Nexus 4 at cost which is why it is so cheap.

Besides - LG haven't had too many problems with hardware in the past. It's generally been the software that's been shit. Thankfully, since Google are taking care of that, the Nexus 4 shouldn't have any problems there.
    Last edited by Cor; 12-08-2012 at 04:09 PM.

Tuconots
    Thanks for all the input on the Nexus 4's! I had to ask because I've had some LG products in the past (including a refrigerator) and they all either gave me problems or felt cheap and plasticy as shit. Since I can't go to Best Buy and handle one myself to be sure but then buy it online (/evilgrin) I thought I'd get you guys opinions.

Tuconots
    Not sure if I read this on morenutz the other day or not...

Bend it like Samsung: New Galaxy Phone May Have Unbreakable Screen - Reuters

Tuconots
    Just to chime in, Nexus 4 isn't built cheaply, Google is just subsidizing the phones themselves.

Tuconots
    The phone market is going to quickly become over saturated.

Tuconots
    Already is. Way too many choices on the Android side of things, although in the end, most of them boil down to the same generic product, reskinned, with some semi-tainted old/cut up version of Android on it.

Tuconots
    Pretty nice automatic backups WP8 does. I got a new 920, signed into my MS account during startup, and it restored my previous phone completely, except for photos which were on skydrive. Pretty nice to have your phone back up and running in 5 minutes.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Mageling View Post
    It seems most people on XDA are giving it good reviews. You get a few people there who obviously aren't telling the truth when they "set down the phone" and broke the back glass. I'm pretty sure the back isn't Gorilla Glass 2, but I'm hoping that it'll stand up over time.
    The whole phone is Gorilla Glass, you can tell because Gorilla Glass is slicker than regular glass due to the way the process adds ions to the surface of the glass. And boy is the Nexus 4 extremely slippery. The case does feel really well-built, more so than any other phone I've handled including the iphone. The glass definitely provides a superior build quality relative to your typical plastic-backed Samsung phone. That said, I'd say the bumper or some other case is a necessity because otherwise this phone slides off even surfaces that appear flat, but aren't quite.

Gorilla Glass isn't any kind of magical shatter-resistant glass, it's primarily intended to make phones scratch proof. It won't survive impact on a hard surface to a small point on the back or front, as any number of broken iphone screen videos and images should tell you. It's definitely not as durable as plastic. I have dropped my Nexus 4 from 3 feet onto hard wood though, and it was fine, 'setting the phone down' is definitely not going to break your phone... but it likely will not survive drops from chest height onto pavement without a case or at least the bumper, that's for sure.

side note: DON'T buy the Nokia wireless charging pads/stands, as they don't quite work properly with the Nexus 4. If you have a case and are willing to fiddle, then they can be made to work, but if the phone isn't the correct distance from the charging pad it will cycle constantly in a really annoying way. In order to work properly, the charging plate needs to be about 1/4 inch further away from the stand than a naked phone would be lying flat against it. No idea why this is the case, obviously Qi standard equipment has some QA or compatibility issues. People say the LG WCP-700 mat works well, though.
    Last edited by Sancus; 12-08-2012 at 11:17 PM.

Tuconots
    Galaxy S3 here. Save for a few minor quips (*cough* low-light quality of camera *cough*), I love it

Even though there are technically better displays out there, the pentile still looks great. TouchWiz is a nice UI, but I would have liked the option of using stock Android. Ideally, I'd like to see all Android smartphones (and all smartphones period for that matter) be unlocked with the choice of stock Android or the manufacturer's customer interface. And ffs, please bring back a robust fully-functional Swype (or Swype alternative). I'm tired of having to download Swift Key and Swype beta .apks to get the functionality I want.

But I digress.

The Galaxy S3 is an ideal phone for me. Yes, there are features that could be interpreted as "gimmicky," but at least they have potential to evolve into something greater. Mid-2014 is when I can upgrade devices at contract cost, so I may eye a Note 2.

Tuconots
    It seems some of the people who ordered on Dec 6th have already had devices shipped out this morning, so I'm tentatively hopeful that this second charge will just mean I get a device sooner instead of 6 weeks out.
    That sucks... I ordered mine on the 27th and nothing yet.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I had the first RAZR and the fucker was dead by noon. Thought about getting the Maxx but went with the Galaxy S3 instead. Best phone I have ever owned.
    Maxx HD is pretty great. I get 36 hours of battery with heavy usage. And I like the Moto UI much better than Samsung's.

Tuconots
    Any of you boys with a Lumia 920 have this proximity sensor issue? I'm about to hurl mine out the window.

Tuconots
    Funny you should mention it because I ordered that exact full body protector from Amazon and put it on my phone last night. I'm an idiot, though, and didn't do it in a place with enough light so I ended up with 2 bubbles on my screen. Looks like I'll be cashing in on the lifetime warranty much sooner than expected. I have to say, putting this thing on seemed to be more difficult than putting on a Zagg screen. Also, it seems to me that the curved edges of the Nexus 4 don't want to play well with the protector at all.
    Update on the Skinomi skin for the Nexus 4. After 2 days of "curing" the protector has no bubbles at all. They all went away. I even had a tiny hair in the middle of my screen so I used the solution and pulled up the protector until I could get it out, reapplied the protector, and now it looks fantastic. I'm really impressed with the protector.

If you but the front and back, plan to put them on in separate sessions. It is a pain in the ass putting them both on at the same time and trying to remove all the bubbles. My back protector has a couple bubbles, but I don't care since it will be in a TPU s-line case.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghidorah View Post
    Any of you boys with a Lumia 920 have this proximity sensor issue? I'm about to hurl mine out the window.
    I haven't had a problem, but then again I managed to get a hardware bug that I couldn't find anywhere else on the net. Everything worked fine until one day the touch screen stopped working completely. Haven't had any issues on the new one.

Tuconots
    I decided to just say "fuck it" to the Play Store and picked up a Nexus 4 locally. Paid $50 more than I would through Google, but it's better than waiting to see if I get one by Jan sometime.

I'm still getting it set up, but I'm really digging the feel of the device so far. Any suggestions on ROMs? I'm considering PA since it's now being built off of AOSP source, but I'm not sure I'd really use the per-app DPI settings.

Tuconots
    I've become an expert at installing screen protectors. The trick is to first wipe off the screen and then take a piece of scotch tape that is wider than your device and stick it on the screen. Then peel it off, stick it on the screen again a little lower and keep working all the way down the screen until done. Do this twice. This completely removes the tiny pieces that are the main cause of bubbles that won't go away. Works every time.

Tuconots
    I decided to just say "fuck it" to the Play Store and picked up a Nexus 4 locally. Paid $50 more than I would through Google, but it's better than waiting to see if I get one by Jan sometime.

I'm still getting it set up, but I'm really digging the feel of the device so far. Any suggestions on ROMs? I'm considering PA since it's now being built off of AOSP source, but I'm not sure I'd really use the per-app DPI settings.
    Try Rasbeanjelly. I use it on my N7 and its great.

Tuconots
    I have an LG Revolution from Verizon that is a little over a year old. I can no longer connect it to my PC and access it through mass storage, it randomly reboots itself, I don't get 4G in my area, and 3G constantly drops to 1x for no reason when using data, I sometimes get double messages. Fuck this shit man. Verizon told me that they won't do anything unless I reformat my phone first. I did, and it did nothing.

Tuconots
    Everyone who has a Nexus 4, what service are you using?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfen View Post
    I've become an expert at installing screen protectors. The trick is to first wipe off the screen and then take a piece of scotch tape that is wider than your device and stick it on the screen. Then peel it off, stick it on the screen again a little lower and keep working all the way down the screen until done. Do this twice. This completely removes the tiny pieces that are the main cause of bubbles that won't go away. Works every time.
    Never thought of doing this, but makes a whole lot of sense. Gonna try it next time.

"AH HA HA HA HA HA" Barraco Bisi's Avatar
    Tuconots
    I paired my Wii remote with my Galaxy Nexus yesterday (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...eAndroid&hl=en) and had some awesomefun playing SNES games. Anyone else toy with controllers on their phones before?

I'm going to have to build some kind of phone/controller mount for this

I LOVE HIBBERT LIKE OMG
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourofSpace View Post
    I use T-Mobile prepaid, $60 for unlimited everything and 2GB of 4G data. I'm in a shitty area (Edge/HSPA) so the $70 plan would be useless to me.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Adebisi View Post
    Anyone else toy with controllers on their phones before?
    Did this for a bit with a jailbreak bluetooth app on my iPhone 4 a while back. Would make more sense with the iPad... I might give this another try. I seem to recall a bit of input lag when I tried it.

Tuconots
    I use T-Mobile prepaid, $60 for unlimited everything and 2GB of 4G data. I'm in a shitty area (Edge/HSPA) so the $70 plan would be useless to me.
    I use Solavei prepaid for $49 a month that does everything that Gaige's $60 plan does and more. It allows me conditional call forwarding for Google Voice Visual Voicemail as well as roaming which T-mobile prepaid doesn't allow. Also, the 4g data cap is 4GB instead of 2GB.

I just switched my wife to Solavei this month from the exact plan that Gaige uses for those very reasons.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dauntless One View Post
    Try Rasbeanjelly. I use it on my N7 and its great.
    I'll give that a swing today. I'm still using my 4S that I've borrowed from a friend until I get a phone completely set up since I need it for work.

Quote Originally Posted by ColourofSpace View Post
    I've been on Straight Talk for a bit since TMOUS is iffy in the outlying areas of Puget Sound. So far it's been fantastic, and after taxes I'm only paying $50/mo. I could move up to the 3/6/12 mo plans, which further decrease cost, but I've recently started a new job, and this month was the first one that I've really been able to buy some new toys. I get an allowance through work for cell service, so I'm pocketing ~1/2 of that per month while maintaining unlimited minutes/data/text. Some people say they have issues with getting throttled, but apparently I don't use enough data per month to worry about that. Additionally, I'm not using an APN setting with a data proxy, so that may play a part as well. Either way, I'm getting an average of 5-7 dl/1-1.5 ul.

I LOVE HIBBERT LIKE OMG
    Tuconots
    I use Solavei prepaid for $49 a month that does everything that Gaige's $60 plan does and more. It allows me conditional call forwarding for Google Voice Visual Voicemail as well as roaming which T-mobile prepaid doesn't allow. Also, the 4g data cap is 4GB instead of 2GB.

I just switched my wife to Solavei this month from the exact plan that Gaige uses for those very reasons.
    I've heard Solavei is some sort of pyramid scheme though. Do they use AT&T or T-Mobile's network?

Tuconots
    I've heard Solavei is some sort of pyramid scheme though. Do they use AT&T or T-Mobile's network?
    First off, Solavei sells an actual product that works as intended (T-mobile MVNO). You don't pay the referrer anything, nor do you have to provide seed money that isn't normally required for cell phone service (i.e. activation cost, sim card purchase, service cost). Also, you pay your subscription fee to the company itself, not a referrer and can cancel the service at any point. If it is a pyramid scheme then I must not understand exactly what differentiates a real business with tiered referral bonuses from a scam (feel free to drop knowledge on me about it, I'd love to know).

Second, you don't have to join their whole referral program thing to sign up for cell service. Neither my wife nor I are part of it. We just pay each month for cell service.

Finally, even if it turns out to be a pyramid scheme it won't just get shut off over night. Even if you have short notice, though, since it is prepaid you can just hope to another provider without any trouble.

Tuconots
    I wish we had something nearly that respectable in Canada. All of our plans/providers blow.

I LOVE HIBBERT LIKE OMG
    Tuconots
    First off, Solavei sells an actual product that works as intended (T-mobile MVNO). You don't pay the referrer anything, nor do you have to provide seed money that isn't normally required for cell phone service (i.e. activation cost, sim card purchase, service cost). Also, you pay your subscription fee to the company itself, not a referrer and can cancel the service at any point. If it is a pyramid scheme then I must not understand exactly what differentiates a real business with tiered referral bonuses from a scam (feel free to drop knowledge on me about it, I'd love to know).

Second, you don't have to join their whole referral program thing to sign up for cell service. Neither my wife nor I are part of it. We just pay each month for cell service.

Finally, even if it turns out to be a pyramid scheme it won't just get shut off over night. Even if you have short notice, though, since it is prepaid you can just hope to another provider without any trouble.
    Hmm. Okay. Sounds like I should consider that next month then. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Tuconots

I run AOKP on my Galaxy Nexus. It's great.

http://aokp.co/

Plus it has unicorns, motherfuckers.
    Draegan sold us out to MMORPG.com

Exodus underway to ReReRolled.org - A Gaming Community

Tuconots
    I use the $30 plan from T-Mobile... 100 minutes, unlimited text, unlimited web (with 5GB at 4G). Additional minutes are 10c/min, and I do use up to 200 minutes per month, so the plan really costs me closer to $40. Still a good deal, though.

I tried making calls through GrooveIP, but while the sound is flawless to me, apparently people on the other end don't hear me well. I grabbed the talkatone app and will try if that works better. If so, that's going to turn my existing plan into an unlimited everything for $30 - yay.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Vepil View Post
    Sounds like sell it for parts on eBay.
    So... I posted it on Ebay and with 8 days left, the thing is up to $100. The two people who had the top bids so far have 0 and 1 review, respectively.

Should I be suspicious? I mean, why would you pay $100+ for a defective phone?

Assuming I wait for them to pay (with paypal) before sending out the phone. Any scams that make use of this? i.e. will get paypal to reverse the charge because the phone is broken?

Tuconots
    Parts for their existing phones? Who knows. Some people just like to make things work.

"AH HA HA HA HA HA" Barraco Bisi's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkorin View Post
    I wish we had something nearly that respectable in Canada. All of our plans/providers blow.
    It's disgusting how bad our mobile data options are. Way to stifle our country Rogers and Bell.

A 5 GB data plan costs $95. Shit's criminal.

Tuconots
    Holy shit, who's that from? I've got 6GB LTE with Rogers @$30/month, but that was the promotional price, only available when they hang a new iPhone in front of us like a carrot.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Soriak View Post
    So... I posted it on Ebay and with 8 days left, the thing is up to $100. The two people who had the top bids so far have 0 and 1 review, respectively.

Should I be suspicious? I mean, why would you pay $100+ for a defective phone?

Assuming I wait for them to pay (with paypal) before sending out the phone. Any scams that make use of this? i.e. will get paypal to reverse the charge because the phone is broken?
    Maybe they think that they can fix it and turn it around for a quick profit? Or maybe they're idiots and didn't notice the part where it is broken.

Tuconots
    Fido/Koodo/Virgin $56 dollar unlimited plan with 2GB data is not bad.

People should have called retention when the Big 3 were pissing their pants at the Wind pricing. My plan is $45 and includes 6GB data and value pack. Only thing I'm missing is MMS which I don't use.

Tuconots
    You can get straight talk for $40 per month and unlimited everything (data 2gb or so before they throttle you) and not have to jew the system with VOIP. Its all unlimited. Just have to pay it for the year. Plus it can be used on Tmobile or AT&T.
    Last edited by Kedwyn; 12-11-2012 at 02:54 AM.

Tuconots
    A fairly sexy case I am thinking of getting:

Issentiel Leather Flip Case

Tuconots
    http://gigaom.com/mobile/how-t-mobil...less-industry/

T-Mobile wants to push in the direction of not subsidizing phone purchases anymore. Actually sounds like a good deal, buy your own phone(or bring an existing phone to them) and your plan is $20 per month less for 2 years, that's a savings of $480, a lot more than you usually save off of a phone purchase through any of the US carriers with a 2 year contract. Most of those subsidies are in the $300-$350 range.

Tuconots
    I would prefer it that way but the reality is most of America is functionally retarded and loves their payment plans. Monthly payments almost always win regardless of if its a better deal or not.

Tuconots
    According to the FDIC, 75% of American households believe they could not come up with $2,000 in 30 days. It's not at all surprising that people prefer payment plans to paying $500 upfront.

It's not even such a bad deal... with the T-Mobile value plans, you'd save $130 over 2 years, or about $5/month. As far as finance charges go, this one ain't so bad.

Of course post-paid still wins, because you can get something like a $30 or $40 per month plan that undercuts dramatically what the carriers can offer.

Tuconots
    I don't understand why you guys get so bummed in the US on contracts.

My current contract is sim only, 600 minutes, 5000 texts and unlimited internet.

Tuconots
    I really don't save anything moving my lines to pre paid I'd actually lose a fair bit. I have 5 lines with AT&T with tax it comes to just under 200 including corporate discount. 4 smart phones 1 dumb phone. I also have 1 prepaid line with Straight Talk since I ran out of space on our plan.

I get 40% off handsets and accessories, subsidized handsets and full service (LTE). We have plenty of minutes (A List and Google voice) and unlimited texting.

Nothing pre paid comes close to beating what I have with AT&T. So depending on the situation its not always a bad deal compared to pre paid. Now the regular Joe Blow without any discounts is getting straight up fucked.
    _____
    Quote Originally Posted by Devlin View Post

My current contract is sim only, 600 minutes, 5000 texts and unlimited internet.

You can't compare the land mass, population and density of Europe and the US. Naturally its going to cost a bit more to blanket all of the US with wireless and considering that our costs aren't that bad.
    Last edited by Kedwyn; 12-11-2012 at 06:21 AM.

Tuconots
    A list?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Soriak View Post
    A list?
    You can specify the 10 most called numbers and they are free both incoming and out going. So what I've done is use a program called voice + to initiate calls through Google voice over the cell network (not voip) so that every out going call essentially is a free call for everyone on the plan since it rings back with your GV number and then connects your call. Excellent quality never had any issues.

With A List and voice + for outgoing 5 of us only use 400 or so anytime minutes out of maybe 3k (Alist, n/w, anytime) total minutes a month.

If minutes become a big issue I could even force GV to show its own number for incoming calls which would eliminate the need for any minutes what so ever since they would all be A list minutes.

Tuconots

Because we get fucked, is why. Both in the US and Canada. I pay $95/month for the package my Blackberry needs to be useful. I think around 500 minutes, unlimited texts, and I'm not sure how much data but around 2gb I think. And it's a three year contract to get the full handset subsidy. I'm coming up on 2 years with my Torch, and quite honestly I don't know how I've made it this long.

The cell phone market in Europe is actually competitive, so maybe contracts aren't so bad there. In North America the competition is a sad joke, and getting locked in to 3 year contracts with a device that has been changing so rapidly is completely ridiculous.

Don't even get me started on roaming charges. It costs me more for wireless data 5 feet across the 49th parallel than it would to literally mail old school 3.5" floppy disks individually.

Tuconots

Not really that great considering tmobile offers unlimited text/data and 100 minutes for $30.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Phoenix View Post
    Not really that great considering tmobile offers unlimited text/data and 100 minutes for $30.
    Holy shit. I wonder what their roaming rates are up in Canada.

Isn't it sad that it could conceivably be cheaper just to pay that, given how expensive and horrible our plans are?

EDIT: Oh, shit, never mind. T-Mobile roams with Rogers in Canada. $10 per MB. Hahaha. Fuck Rogers.
    Last edited by Alkorin; 12-11-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Tuconots
    I think you might not even get roaming with those prepaid plans...

Tuconots
    It wouldn't be worth it at those roaming rates anyway, which is really too bad, given that it costs the telcos a grand total of absolutely nothing to allow us to roam. That's what makes the entire thing feel like you've been bent over the workbench. There is no additional cost for "long distance" or "roaming" these days. Fucking greedy telcos...

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Phoenix View Post
    $30 is like 20.

600 any network minutes vs 100 any network minutes.
    5000 texts vs unlimited texts.

It's not a bad deal but an hour and forty minutes talk time isn't that great. Unlimited texting isn't that big a deal when you have unlimited internet imo.

Tuconots
    This is what I refer to with over-saturation on the Nexus 4. The grid pattern at the top of the screen should continue all the way down the screen, at least it did on my Galaxy Nexus. As you can see from the screenshot, the grid is barely visible unless you look out for it.

nexus.jpg

Tuconots
    Downloading Jelly Bean now. Bout damn time, Verizon.

Tuconots
    If anyone who has an SGS3 and were on Verizon, they just upgraded the OS to 4.1.1 Jelly Bean (eh, FleshStick beat me to it. Guess I should have read page 2). If you're looking for a way to root / unlock bootloader, or if you were rooted with ICS and can't get the update, this is an excellent guide:
    [GUIDE] Jelly Bean Factory Image (Root/Recovery/Unlocked Bootloader) *UPDATED 12/12*

Tuconots
    Any suggestions on cases for an Iphone 5? I'm looking for something semi slim that will give a decent grip to the back; looking at the Speck Candyshell Grip or the Incipio DualPro/Faxion so far but unsure.

Tuconots
    Renault, check these out, thinking of getting them for my Galaxy:

Ballistic Every1 Case: http://www.amazon.com/Ballistic-EV09...+iphone+5+case

Urban Armor Gear Case: http://www.amazon.com/Urban-Armor-Ge...+gear+iphone+5

Issentiel Leather Flip Case: http://www.issentiel.us/apple/leathe...tion-cosy.html

Tuconots
    Anyone else with a N4 experiencing an issue where you choose a contact to call and the phone dials and immediately hangs up, then dials again normally? It isn't causing me any issues as the re-dial always goes through fine and it adds less than a second to the call time, but I notice it and would like to fix it.

Tuconots
    So, I don't call much on my phone (yeah)... but, I could swear when I picked up a call from my N4, sound came out of speakers even though I didn't turn on speakers. Is there a setting where that, for some reason, might have been turned on?

Tuconots
    Now this is cool...e-ink screen on the back of the phone

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/13/3...tphone-android

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Eomer View Post
    Because we get fucked, is why. Both in the US and Canada. I pay $95/month for the package my Blackberry needs to be useful. I think around 500 minutes, unlimited texts, and I'm not sure how much data but around 2gb I think. And it's a three year contract to get the full handset subsidy. I'm coming up on 2 years with my Torch, and quite honestly I don't know how I've made it this long.

The cell phone market in Europe is actually competitive, so maybe contracts aren't so bad there. In North America the competition is a sad joke, and getting locked in to 3 year contracts with a device that has been changing so rapidly is completely ridiculous.

Don't even get me started on roaming charges. It costs me more for wireless data 5 feet across the 49th parallel than it would to literally mail old school 3.5" floppy disks individually.
    Fido and Rogers both have a $57 plan - Unlimited long distance calling Canada wide, unlimited texting world wide, 2gb data...3yr contract on Rogers, 2yr on Fido

Tuconots
    Thanks, will have to look in to that. I'm curious to see what Telus tries to pull on me when I get my Nexus 4 and want to switch my plan from a Blackberry package it's currently on. Probably try to charge me $500 to cancel my contract or some shit, even if I'm willing to stick around for the remaining 14 months or whatever it is.

Tuconots
    Rogers charged me $130 to drop my contract and switch to Fido. I just switched at the beginning of December and the contract was not supposed to be up until September 2013.

I went with Fido over Rogers because the Galaxy Nexus was $0 on a 2yr contract as opposed to $30 on a 3yr with Rogers.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    My Nexus 4 came in today. It's a god damn beautiful phone.

Tuconots
    Kinda want. Too bad it runs Android.

Tuconots
    To the guy who -netted me because I'm "trolling" with the above statement -- uh, no, I'm saying I don't like Android. Bloody fanbois.

Tuconots
    I've had my Nexus 4 for about a month now and I really love it but I definitely have some issues.

- I don't understand why I need to root the phone and install a third party kernel to get good battery life. Surely Google should have sorted this shit out themselves.
    - Android apps just aren't as good as ios apps. Dcovery (http://dcovery.com/), an awesome travel app, got an ios release yesterday. The devs have no intention to ever release an Android version. Sucks. Holo designed apps are actually nice (the new RSS reader Press is awesome) but there aren't enough of them out there. The games selection sucks compared to ios, too.
    - Micro USB blows. I wish it was reversible like Apple's lightning connector. I want to buy the wireless charging orb but there hasn't been any news about it for weeks.
    - Why hasn't LG/Google calibrated the screen?!
    - Camera isn't great.

Still, I'm really happy with the purchase. 4.2 Android feels much nicer than ios and the bigger screen is awesome. I'd love to see HTC make next years Nexus phone. I imagine that'd be beastly.

Tuconots
    That's gotta be the first positive comment about the Lightning connector I've ever seen. Having to change every cable I ever bought for an iOS device sucks, and I wish Apple had gone micro USB. I guess the grass isn't greener.

Tuconots
    Curious why you feel that Micro USB "blows". Is it purely just because the plug only fits one direction, or is there an actual technology related reason why the lightning connector is superior?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboo View Post
    Curious why you feel that Micro USB "blows". Is it purely just because the plug only fits one direction, or is there an actual technology related reason why the lightning connector is superior?
    I think I've only once managed to put the cable in the right way on the first try. It's annoying. I used my brothers iPhone 5 for a week and the lightning cable just slots in effortlessly.

The micro usb connector also makes a loud 'crack' sound whenever I insert a cable, too. It's quite worrying. It feels like the connector is going to break whenever I put a cable in.

From what I understand, lightning is forwards compatible with future standards which is a pretty big bonus over micro usb. It should be compatible with usb4/thunderbolt/whatever standards come out in the future. That's a pretty big bonus over micro usb, imo.

I'd love to see wireless charging become more common, though. I'd much prefer that over having to use cables.

That's gotta be the first positive comment about the Lightning connector I've ever seen. Having to change every cable I ever bought for an iOS device sucks, and I wish Apple had gone micro USB. I guess the grass isn't greener.
    Yeah, switching the cables over sucks for sure, but it won't be a problem in a year or two. It's just a short term shitty situation.

Tuconots
    Oh, I forgot to mention that the earpiece buzzes constantly, too. It's really annoying. I was talking to a friend on Skype the other day and I could barely hear her over the buzzing noise. I had to plug in a pair of headphones to actually hear her properly.

The back of the phone gets really hot at times too, even when I'm doing simple stuff like browsing the web. It's very odd.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    I think I've only once managed to put the cable in the right way on the first try. It's annoying. I used my brothers iPhone 5 for a week and the lightning cable just slots in effortlessly.
    How? The bottom of the connector has pins on it, as long as you look at it or feel it with your finger before you insert it, it should always go in correctly...

Last edited by Evernothing; 12-21-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Tuconots

The micro usb connector also makes a loud 'crack' sound whenever I insert a cable, too. It's quite worrying. It feels like the connector is going to break whenever I put a cable in.

From what I understand, lightning is forwards compatible with future standards which is a pretty big bonus over micro usb. It should be compatible with usb4/thunderbolt/whatever standards come out in the future. That's a pretty big bonus over micro usb, imo.

I'd love to see wireless charging become more common, though. I'd much prefer that over having to use cables.

Yeah, switching the cables over sucks for sure, but it won't be a problem in a year or two. It's just a short term shitty situation.
    This complaint about micro usb is on the same level with the people who complained about Lumia 920's weight. Retarded.

Regarding kernel, you're probably not getting more battery life unless you are currently underclocking. Having used so many Android phones, stock kernels are generally the best battery life because of the slim builds and without useless features. People give OEM way too little credit in this regard.

Tuconots
    Nothing that can't be solved by buying a bunch of cables or adapters. It sucks in that every iPhone accessory I had uses the old cable type (e.g. clock radio, camera kit). There are likely new devices that use the lightning connector, or there will be at some point, but the old ones aren't broken, so why would I replace them?

Hopefully a connector adapter will work for all of the devices I already have.

Thread Information