Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Shaving

I found the more blades the worse shave as there is less "room" for the miseed or not fully shaved hairs to pop back up between blades- hence why I think more people find the 3 blade as the magic number.

I want to get into the good ol safety razor but am always too lazy to buy one and test it out- yet stores often have generic/gelette and bic blades for 5-6$ for a pack of 10ish - but no actual things to use the blades with.

Ya, I'm not feeling the safety razor. If you need a complete shave with no hair on your face, it really is the way to go. If you have a beard or goatee, or anything along those lines, not so much.

I have no problem with Dollar Shave Club's 4-bladed razor. They do just fine. Plus, if you do the trick to extend their life, you can suspend the service every now and then and save more money. My one annoyance is that I think the shaving handle is too bulky.

By the way, this is the trick I use to extend my razors. Been using this method for a long time and it works.

I've been using the same blade for well over a decade.

straighrazor.jpg

Just ordered this as I got a deal that couldn't be passed up.

http://www.theartofshaving.com/Limit...-safety-razors

how much off the $355 pricetag did you pay?

Gillette Atra II - Shaving Gravy since 1985. Same handle. Blades are $1.50 for six at Dollar General.

Quote Originally Posted by Azeth View Post
    what the fuck?

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
    Gillette Atra II - Shaving Gravy since 1985. Same handle. Blades are $1.50 for six at Dollar General.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Virtue View Post
    Just ordered this as I got a deal that couldn't be passed up.

http://www.theartofshaving.com/Limit...-safety-razors
    ^

Quote Originally Posted by Azeth View Post
    I paid $150 for the kit. Don't get me wrong, a complete and utter waste of money, but it is always nice to splurge once and awhile. But i've always used their brushes for lathering and never found anything close to it. Hell, the wife used my old one for her legs all the time. Once I found out, I of course yelled at her because I still used it on my face unknowingly. But she was also not too pissed about the purchase as it'll look good in the bathroom (lol). This is also something I can pass down over the generations (when I have a boy).

I highly recommend going to 'The Art of Shaving' store if you have one nearby. That definitely have some neat things and information. You of course can get by paying much, much less than I did.
    Last edited by Lost Virtue; 03-31-2014 at 12:20 AM.

You can get a nice brush and Merkur Futur for the same price...

Man, that's a beautiful set though.

I'm loving Dollar Shave Club's Shave Butter. I've never had a closer shave. Dunno what it does, but it helps.

Registered Noodlefart Noodleface's Avatar
    Man feathers ripped my face apart, fuck those blades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    I like the gays

Registered User Frenzied Wombat's Avatar
    After years of experimentation I've come to the conclusion that 90% of the improvement you get from moving from a standard razor/gel to a safety razor plus brush comes not from the blade, but from the brush, prep, and cream. I was a hard core merkur safety razor user for years, but was recently forced back to a Mach 3 when my maid "misplaced" my safety razor. What I noticed is that as long as I perform the same prep (hot shower, proraso cream, thick massaged lather), and the same shaving process (once with the grain, once against), I get an equally smooth shave and zero irritation. It costs more, but I can obviously shave a lot faster and not have to worry about nicks. Just a tip for those that want similar benefits to the safety razor minus the hassle.