Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Shaving

Tuconots
    So a few months ago I read a few articles and decided to stop using ANY shaving cream/lubricant of any kind while shaving(other than water). I've been a DE shaver for a few years now, using feather blades.

I'd have to say, the results are pretty nice. I shave my face every single day during the work week(I shave in the shower) and shave my head probably twice a week on average. My face has always been pretty sensitive, I could always shave with the grain(WTG) with no real issues, but any cross(XTG)/against(ATG) the grain shaving would always result in razor burn/red bumps, and I'd look like a 16 year old with acne on my neck for a day or two afterwards.

Without any shaving cream, I can actually do WTG, and XTG with no issues at all(still cant do ATG without irritation), so that's some nice progress. My facial hair is really dark and coarse, so if I only shave WTG, I look like I need to shave again by noon, my 5'oclock shadow comes quick. The XTG helps push that back some, getting slightly closer.

Not to mention, no more purchasing shaving cream is nice.

The only downside at all that I've come across is with shaving my head. If I wait too long and go 4-5 days and I'm shaving some longer growth, the razor tends to get clogged easier/harder to rinse without shaving cream. It's like shaving cream makes hair stick to it, and then rinses off easier, rather than trying to rinse just hair shavings alone from a razor. No issues with facial stubble, it never gets long enough to clog, but the head definitely can if I don't stay on top of it and shave at least every 3rd or 4th day.

Last edited by joeboo; 10-02-2015 at 07:00 PM.

Tuconots
    The answer of "no, as the laser only interacts with the hair!" is not really acceptable as- technically, all working as it should, all being even - the edge of our current razors "only interact with the hair" but we all know how that goes. An answer of something like "the power/whatever of the laser is specifically tuned to only have the ability to sheer an object of (insert thickest standard human hair here #) and is harmless to skin." would be more reassuring.

Tuconots
    I'm picturing accidentally peeling off thin layers of my cheeks like skin off an apple.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Moogalak View Post
    Man, really tempted to go in with a buddy on that kickstarter. They need to show it in action!
    yea if they show a neckbeard stare in the camera (cuz it's no razors so you don't have to watch your face really) and just shave half his face like normal, i'm fucking in. Right now it's just 3 guys talking shit, a gif and some doctor holding an engineering sample talking shit about some 1990s laser.

MAKE EARTH EXTINCT AGAIN! Abefroman's Avatar
    Tuconots
    The more I think about it, the more I'm sure this thing doesn't work worth a shit. If it did what they claim it would be the holy fucking grail of shaving. No video of the shaver in action, everyone in the kickstarter has a fucking beard, not even a demo of the actual working device on a fucking arm or a god damn cat. Will not back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodleface
    Marriage is the best, I love having sex with my husband and giving him BJ's when I'm on my period

Tuconots
    Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but at least it's topical.

Baby-Faced Men Opt for Beard Transplants

I did not know that was a thing. I've got plenty of facial hair, but I'm losing it up top pretty quick.
    Last edited by Agraza; 10-05-2015 at 09:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by brekk View Post
    In all reality I take pride in peoples surprise that I have mod powers at all.

Tuconots
    Why would anyone else back that? They already have 3.5 million on an original goal of $160,000!!! They don't need more money!

Tuconots
    I'd pay good money for the exact opposite...make my facial hair never grow again. Shaving every day is a pain in the ass, I wouldn't miss it at all.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Khane View Post
    Why would anyone else back that? They already have 3.5 million on an original goal of $160,000!!! They don't need more money!
    they're backing it, along w/ being an early adopter.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboo View Post
    I'd pay good money for the exact opposite...make my facial hair never grow again. Shaving every day is a pain in the ass, I wouldn't miss it at all.
    Laser hair removal!

Tuconots
    I hate shaving too. Which is why I rock a sweet, sweet beard.

Tuconots
    I wish that I could just grow a 2-3 day stubble, and it would just stay that way. That would be swell.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Eomer View Post
    I wish that I could just grow a 2-3 day stubble, and it would just stay that way. That would be swell.
    I rocked the 2 day stubble for a few years. I just got one of those shitty foil-head electric razors and used that once every couple days for a couple minutes. It was crappy enough that it didn't come close to giving me a clean shave, but it kept things short enough so I didn't progress into full beard.

Tuconots
    Yeah I just use a trimmer without a guard once a week, but even that feels like too much work.

Tuconots
    I know I'm in the minority when I say this but I love to shave. I love mixing up a bowl of lather in a different fragrance everyday. This morning it was lime. I don't know what it will be tomorrow. I've got about seven or eight. Same with aftershaves. You can't have too many.

Tuconots
    I think I can, and the difference between too many and enough is binary.

Tuconots
    So a few months ago I read a few articles and decided to stop using ANY shaving cream/lubricant of any kind while shaving(other than water). I've been a DE shaver for a few years now, using feather blades.

I'd have to say, the results are pretty nice. I shave my face every single day during the work week(I shave in the shower) and shave my head probably twice a week on average. My face has always been pretty sensitive, I could always shave with the grain(WTG) with no real issues, but any cross(XTG)/against(ATG) the grain shaving would always result in razor burn/red bumps, and I'd look like a 16 year old with acne on my neck for a day or two afterwards.

Without any shaving cream, I can actually do WTG, and XTG with no issues at all(still cant do ATG without irritation), so that's some nice progress. My facial hair is really dark and coarse, so if I only shave WTG, I look like I need to shave again by noon, my 5'oclock shadow comes quick. The XTG helps push that back some, getting slightly closer.

Not to mention, no more purchasing shaving cream is nice.

The only downside at all that I've come across is with shaving my head. If I wait too long and go 4-5 days and I'm shaving some longer growth, the razor tends to get clogged easier/harder to rinse without shaving cream. It's like shaving cream makes hair stick to it, and then rinses off easier, rather than trying to rinse just hair shavings alone from a razor. No issues with facial stubble, it never gets long enough to clog, but the head definitely can if I don't stay on top of it and shave at least every 3rd or 4th day.

I need to try this. I can shave every 3 days because if I do it any earlier my face hates me. Will report back my results.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Agraza View Post
    Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but at least it's topical.

Baby-Faced Men Opt for Beard Transplants

I did not know that was a thing. I've got plenty of facial hair, but I'm losing it up top pretty quick.
    Poor beard-deficient hipsters. Someone should tell them by the time they finish the transplants, beards will be out of style again.

Tuconots
    Guy makes fun videos. I watched a few after that. I will try it, but I'm dubious. Suppose I won't know until I do.

Tuconots
    So a few months ago I read a few articles and decided to stop using ANY shaving cream/lubricant of any kind while shaving(other than water)...
    What were you using for shaving cream that makes shaving without it better? If you say you get it from a can, that's the problem.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by lurker View Post
    What were you using for shaving cream that makes shaving without it better? If you say you get it from a can, that's the problem.
    Oh I've done everything from canned crap to badger brush + various expensive bars and creams. I think the problem with all of them is that they baby your face too much. Your Face never toughens up to the shaving so if you have sensitive skin it never goes away.

The first few weeks of no shave cream was a little rough but once your face gets used to it it really works well and reduces irritation.

Tuconots
    Oh I've done everything from canned crap to badger brush + various expensive bars and creams. I think the problem with all of them is that they baby your face too much. Your Face never toughens up to the shaving so if you have sensitive skin it never goes away.

The first few weeks of no shave cream was a little rough but once your face gets used to it it really works well and reduces irritation.
    Strange thing about this, I've used the same $10 Gillette razor in the shower for probably 3-4 months now and whether it's a matter of toughening up or regularity but no razor burn and takes a few min under the water at most regardless of length.

Nice thing about the shower, if you have a shower head that has one of those 'massage' settings which to me feels more like someones shooting water out of a machine gun it gets hair out of the blades like a champ just point it away first.

Tuconots
    I do shave in the shower as well. Would not recommend someone shaving without any shaving cream and just a small splash of water on otherwise cool, dry skin. That could suck. I don't shave until the end of my shower when my face has been exposed to a good amount of steam for a while, soften up the whiskers.

Tuconots
    You might be right, but I enjoy the ritual too much to leave out one of the best parts. I shave after a shower but not before I whip up a bowl of something wonderful. I do notice however, that if I need to go back over a place on my neck, for instance, I need to first put some suds on the area with my fingers or a brush or I will get razor burn.

In the Panhandle waiting for death by Tornado.
    Tuconots

Tuconots
    For lime I'm using Razorock, but I'll try that next.

Tuconots
    I love the way it smells but have not tried any razorock yet. Any recommendations?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Chanur View Post
    I love the way it smells but have not tried any razorock yet. Any recommendations?
    No, I've only tried the lime as it was recommended as being very fragrant, which it is, but it's no big deal in the lather department.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Chanur View Post
    Now then, one day I was looking for a lavender scented soap/crème and came upon this. It was almost twice the price of what I usually spend but half of what other lavender products were going for so I bought it. It smells nothing like lavender. I have no idea what the scent is and I'm afraid it might be a love it or hate it kind of thing, but it is my favorite right now and it will be a sad day when it becomes NLA. It also lathers better than any thing I own. If you buy it and hate it, I'll buy it from you.

Tuconots
    Dog ate my brush

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
    Dog ate my brush
    Because it was animal hair? Maybe you need a synthetic one.

Tuconots
    I tried the shower/no soap shaving thing

No irritation but I didn't really get a close shave either. Gonna try it again.
    Noodleface#1412 - <Rerolled> US-Hyjal Horde - Noodleface

Follow me on Twitch! - Streaming Rerolled minivan dad raids Friday nights 9PM EST and Saturday mornings 11AM EST!

Tuconots
    I have been shaving in the shower with my DE without any shaving cream for a few years now, mainly due to laziness. You can get a close shave but you do have to go pretty easy.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodlemod View Post
    I tried the shower/no soap shaving thing

No irritation but I didn't really get a close shave either. Gonna try it again.
    Same results here. Hoping I can apply a bit more pressure and go over the same areas more than twice as my skin adapts. We'll see.

Tuconots
    I don't use 1 long pass down my face like I used to when I used shaving cream. I use multiple short strokes that overlap quite a bit, and it gets a pretty close shave and doesn't irritate at all. I mean, why not go over the same spot more than once? It's not like you have to re-apply shaving cream.

It's more of a "peeling a potato" motion when I shave now, quick, small scrapes all in a line down my face, neck. Never shaving more than an inch or two at a time
    Last edited by joeboo; 10-13-2015 at 08:14 PM.

Tuconots
    I doubt I'll ever get a close shave with this just water and blade thing, but my skin is adapting very quickly. I can be increasingly nitpicky and go fully against the grain in more areas.

Tuconots
    In laser shaving news, Skarp's kickstarter got suspended for failing to provide a working prototype. They're now on indiegogo and asking for 160k again, which they quickly shot past.

Redditors are claiming it's all a scam, which, as we've covered, is very likely.

So far the only evidence this concept works is presented in this video, and it's quite bad.

It'd be nice if this happened, but it isn't looking good.

Tuconots
    So that looks like it works, but you have to go slow as balls to get it done? I know they said that the laser was designed to burn a specific hair protein, but does it not burn skin? If I have to go that slow to shave and it looks as bad as that did, that is not at all worth it.

Tuconots
    why are these fucks so hard up to make that shitty razor look like a god damn razor? the only goddam reason razors are even somewhat ergonomic is cuz we're spending so much time carefully shaving so we don't bleed all over our sink. you could make this thing look like a ketchup bottle as long as you just do a one pass quick shave half/half on a neck beard, ppl will be like "holy shit, i'mma buy that ketchup bottle"

it's only castles burning jeffvader's Avatar
    Tuconots
    just did my first d/e shave so total noob here but how the fuck do you shave the top third of your moustache whiskers under your nose? i tried everything but had to whip out my gillette to finish it off. other than that pretty smooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iannis View Post
    Sometimes I just want to watch a french whore fist herself
    Quote Originally Posted by lurkingdirk View Post
    In what way is it inappropriate to talk about rearing children

Tuconots
    I push my nose to the side and try to get in there. I have trouble with it too

Follow me on Twitch! - Streaming Rerolled minivan dad raids Friday nights 9PM EST and Saturday mornings 11AM EST!

Tuconots
    Yeah, I have to turn my DE razor sideways and put the corner of it up against my nose. It's not easy(also easy to cut yourself doing that)

Hell, I've cut myself with my DE shaking it dry. Shook it a couple times and totally hit myself in the side/stomach...cut the shit out of myself. Also dropped it once and it hit my leg and cut me.

Tuconots
    One time I tossed a DE blade in the trash and later on I pushed the trash down to flatten it a bit, now I have a nasty scar.

Had nothing to do with how easy it is to cut yourself, just wanted to tell my story.

Tuconots
    One time I swallowed my D/E razor and it eviscerated all my internal organs.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    So I think I got a hold of a box of defective razors.

I've been using Feather razors for a couple years now. I'm currently on my 3rd pack of 100 razors(change my razor every 3 or 4 days). When you buy them by the 100, they come in a big long box filled with 20 5-packs of razors.

The first 5-pack was fine, shaving as normal. I open the 2nd 5-pack and go to shave my head and HOLY FUCK, it just cut the hell out of me. Brand new razor, never used before, and I probably have 20+ cuts on my head(which all bleed like crazy since it's your head). I had to sit with a towel on my head for like half an hour to get it all to stop.

I didn't know what was up, figured I was just being stupid or something, as I do occasionally cut myself. So I go to shave my face the next morning with the same razor and on the very first stroke down my cheek, it feels like a cheese grater on my skin and I'm bleeding in 2 spots. I throw that razor out, open a new razor(from the same 5-pack) and while it didn't feel great, it was "ok" and I cut myself in 2 more spots on my face before I was done. Go to use that same razor the next day...total cheese grater experience again. Try a THIRD blade...same thing.

So I throw out the rest of that 5-pack, open a new one, and everything is silky smooth and back to normal.

WTF? How did one random 5 pack, out of a box of 100 razors, get produced in such a defective manner? And how was it only one pack (or am I going to have more packs like this within this 100-pack) That sucked, not looking forward to more of those.

Tuconots
    after years of trying to fight the machine i've finally accepted that the Gillette razors offer the best combination of shaving ease/time required and quality of shave. yes they're stupidly expensive but i'm done fighting it. all hail our corporate overlords.

Thread Information