Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek - Into Darkness

Tuconots

Star Trek - Into Darkness

Tuconots
    Yeah looks pretty sweet.

Tuconots
    Just found out that Benedict Cumberbatch is also doing the voice for The Necromancer in The Hobbit as well. Fuck to the yeah.

Tuconots
    I thought he was doing the voice of Smaug, not the Necromancer.

Tuconots
    IMDB says both.

Tuconots
    Disappointed, but only because the first Abrams Star Trek had the best trailer on the face of the planet.

Tuconots
    Kind of hard to tell just for that minute of footage. Is there even any space battles?

Tuconots
    Something makes the Enterprise crash into the bay. Could be a space battle?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by lordvanduu View Post
    Something makes the Enterprise crash into the bay. Could be a space battle?
    Sulu probably forgot to disengage the external inertial dampeners again. Asian drivers I swear
    Last edited by spinnaker; 12-07-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post
    Kind of hard to tell just for that minute of footage. Is there even any space battles?
    Going by that teaser Star Trek has been SWTOR'd in regards to space battles.

Tuconots
    Great trailer, excited for this movie!

Included embed for ease of viewing.

Tuconots
    So does anyone know who the actual "Bad Guy" is or just some random?

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuyley View Post
    So does anyone know who the actual "Bad Guy" is or just some random?
    There are two hints in the Japanese trailer that point to Khan, the line "Is there anything you would not do for your family?" and a scene that shows Kirk and Spock holding up hands to each other through glass reproducing the classic scene from Wrath of Khan.

However there have also been hints that the villain was once a member of Star Fleet and a friend of Kirk's, which hints at Gary Mitchell.
    Last edited by opiate82; 12-08-2012 at 12:46 AM.

Tuconots
    Did you guys see the Japanese trailer? It's pretty much the same as the American one, except at the end it shows a scene which appears to be straight out of the original Star Trek 2 ;o They better not kill off Spock, those bastards.

edit: lol beat me to it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrHlQUXFzfw

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybsled View Post
    Did you guys see the Japanese trailer? It's pretty much the same as the American one, except at the end it shows a scene which appears to be straight out of the original Star Trek 2 ;o They better not kill off Spock, those bastards.

edit: lol beat me to it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrHlQUXFzfw
    I wouldn't put it past Abrams to put that scene in the trailer as a misdirection, but we will see. If the bad guy is Khan, Darkness will be inevitably be compared to Wrath and it will be a tall order to match Wrath.

Tuconots
    It's not Khan. You people are nuts if you were a fan of TOS and think it's even possible it's Khan. It's clearly Mitchell.

5 bucks says Khan's voice will be in the credits or something.

PS

Alice Eve is playing Elizabeth Dehner
    Last edited by Jait; 12-08-2012 at 01:14 AM.

Tuconots
    Ok I love ST and all but I don't know all the facts. What enterprise were they on in the orginal with kirk?
    Seems kinda early to be crashing em off and all unless it was at least 2-3 in.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Olebass View Post
    Ok I love ST and all but I don't know all the facts. What enterprise were they on in the orginal with kirk?
    Seems kinda early to be crashing em off and all unless it was at least 2-3 in.
    Dude, I swear they have destroyed an Enterprise every other ST movie, so them destroying it in this one doesn't surprise me.

Tuconots
    I don't think they do destroy it. It crashes in a big way, yeah, but there's also that little scene with a ship rising back up out of water. At least I think it was water.

Banned
    Tuconots
    Star Derp: Into the Derpness

If it's supposed to be into the Darkness, why is there so much Lens Flare!!

Quote from JJ Abrams

"I wanted a visual system that felt unique. I know there are certain shots where even I watch and think, "Oh that's ridiculous, that was too many."

He goes on to admit Lens Flare is overdone in this article but adds, and I'm paraphrasing, "Suck it bitches, I loves me some Lens Flare"

http://io9.com/5230278/jj-abrams-adm...are-ridiculous

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by dioblaire View Post
    Dude, I swear they have destroyed an Enterprise every other ST movie, so them destroying it in this one doesn't surprise me.
    Yeah, except no.

The first Enterprise lasted the TV series until the end of the 3rd movie. It was the only one destroyed unless you count the TNG one. And I don't.

Tuconots
    Original Enterprise destroyed in Search for Spock
    Enterprise-A decommissioned after The Undiscovered Country
    Enterprise-B "2329 – Lost (presumed destroyed) after the crew reports contracting an unknown infection"
    Enterprise-C destroyed at the Battle of Narendra III, the C was encountered by the crew of the Enterprise-D in the episode Yesterday's Enterprise
    Enterprise-D destroyed in the movie Generations
    Enterprise-E repaired after the damage suffered in the movie Nemesis

Most of that comes from Memory Alpha. So yeah, they really didn't destroy that many Enterprises. The Enterprise B was the one that Kirk was lost from at the beginning of Generations, and the Enterprise C was only featured in a time travel episode, so it's only the Original Enterprise and the Enterprise-D that count.

Tuconots
    Even blowing up the original Enterprise at the end of Search for Spock was just a device for them to introduce a new ship. It had been 20 years with the same model for the prop.

For the record, I hate JJ Abrams, and he can suck my left nut. But the first movie went beyond all my expectations save for the god damned Arrakis worm on an ice planet bullshit. I'm totally giving him the benefit of the doubt with this one. I just wish they'd make it into a TV show for a couple years. Of those actors I think only Simon Pegg might not be able to do it.

Tuconots
    Villain confirmed....John Harrison.

http://www.startrek.com/article/chec...darkness-image

Tuconots
    I belive the enterprise in the first movie was new, or a complete rehaul of the orig...but the orig from the series was not blown up.. but both "main" enterprise destructions where to introduce new ships... TNG mostly needed it- as the Enterprise in 5 was much like the ones in 1,2...just built cheaply apparently and did not have the scotty seal of approval!

Tuconots
    Anybody have any clue who the hell John Harrison is?

Tuconots
    A new character?

Tuconots
    There is no cannon for John Harrison. Some think Abrams is trolling but I would be fine with a totally new character.

Tuconots
    I don't have the quote but people on Neogaf were saying both that it had been confirmed to be a cannon villain, and that it was likely Gary Mitchell because Keith Urban mentioned that in some interview or other. I have not confirmed either one of their sources but that's what they're going on.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Jait View Post
    I just wish they'd make it into a TV show for a couple years. Of those actors I think only Simon Pegg might not be able to do it.
    There is no way Chris Pine would do TV right now.

Tuconots
    It is kind of wierd that they had him be Jack Ryan, not sure why Alec Baldwin isn't good enough anymore, unless he too old.
    I've liked the books and moves of Tom Clancy, but I am not sure Chris Pine can pull that off.

Tuconots
    Khan is still in a deep freeze drifting in the Botany Bay, Kirk never met Gary Mitchell since Kirk was promoted to Captain without graduating the academy and never became Lt. Kirk the instructor. In the original timeline Mitchell was an Academy friend of James T. Kirk, stemming back to the time then-lieutenant Kirk was serving as an instructor and Mitchell was a first-year cadet. Since this never happened, Gary Mitchell is also out.

It has to be a new character.

Tuconots
    Why does every "epic" movie trailer these days need some bastardized version the inception soundtrack?
    an understated ensemble that puts the "b" in subtle

Tuconots
    "Space... the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before."

Or, sit around Earth and fight space battles vs the same old guys over and over. Whichever.

Tuconots
    God knows nothing ever goes on back at Earth that would ever need defending against.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by an accordion View Post
    Why does every "epic" movie trailer these days need some bastardized version the inception soundtrack?
    It's nothing new. They did the same with Requiem for a Dream's theme, then NiN music due to 300, now Inception. I'd bet movies in the 70's/80's did something similar. Hollywood is all about copying shit.

Tuconots
    Random dude new kirk never met from non existant acadamy just makes no sence to me....

Kahn, still makes since-- botanybay could have had many things happen to it in this alternate timeline that awoke kahn... the eugenics war still happend in this timeline- and trailer seems to show him acting a wee bit superhuman-ish with more str agi jumping etc- and again he would be "returning" etc to eath for vengance etc or to reclaim his empire bla bla bla

Tuconots
    Because it's awesome?

Still not dead yet, again Lightning Lord Rule's Avatar
    Tuconots
    New villain's name is Mitch Connor.

Tuconots
    It's going to be Garth of Izar. Calling it now.

Tuconots
    looks ok. looks exactly like the first one actually. do star trek villains in abrams world ever do anything bad that isnt motivated by revenge?

Tuconots
    Was "veger" a villan?
    Kahn...revenge...
    Klingons in 3...mmmm... somwwhat revenge?
    Probe thing in 4? does that count? like "Veger"?
    Sybok...wtf is 5 anywho
    Klingons in 6...deff revenge...

Dude in Generations is revenge...or more like emo angsty QQ ima wanna be in paradise
    Borg.... you could call it some vengance as the queen wanted to get picard back and are always picking on federation because its one of the few things that has resisted them.
    Insurrection was revenge of the QQ we dont like being space amish children
    Clone picard was soo regvenge also.

so with that...in terms of ST movies... revenge is a fairly consistant thing, its faster to set up and resolve.. better for movies than seasons of episodes etc

Tuconots
    Even if you ignore the main plot of the dude trying to get back paradise or whatever in generations, the Duras sisters had a long standing revenge plot against Worf and presumably the Enterprise as well

Flam Drag Fighter Pilot Off the Left's Avatar
    Tuconots
    Looks too comic bookish/superheroish. But I'll still watch the fuck out of it anyway.

Tuconots
    Eh, Klingons in 3 were motivated by an somewhat irrational fear of the Federation with a superweapon. Heck, the Starfleet beauracracy was as much a villan. 6 was also not revenge based. It was once again fear of the Federation with a decisive advantage in galactic strength. So sure, go with revenge as a motivator for villany in TNG movies, but those sucked so who cares. TOS movies are based on fear.

Tuconots
    How long until we get some fucking Klingons in these Star Trek movies? I didn't even feel like the Romulans in the last one were real Romulans. I liked the last movie, but didn't really like the villains.

Registered User Mikhail Bakunin's Avatar
    Tuconots
    http://inception.davepedu.com/
    Greasemonkey script for ignoring people and ignoring posts that quote those people: http://pastebin.com/Y4Y6E1Sb

Tuconots
    It made me think more of Battle Star Galactica then Inception.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Ko Dokomo View Post
    Eh, Klingons in 3 were motivated by an somewhat irrational fear of the Federation with a superweapon. Heck, the Starfleet beauracracy was as much a villan. 6 was also not revenge based. It was once again fear of the Federation with a decisive advantage in galactic strength. So sure, go with revenge as a motivator for villany in TNG movies, but those sucked so who cares. TOS movies are based on fear.
    Yeah, TNG yes, TOS I agree... 6 however has many aspects...thats why its one of the best IMO... the evens are awesome...2/4/6...first contact... :-)

Tuconots
    I dunno. I used to enjoy First Contact, if just for the action. Then I watched the Plinkett review and realized that what First Contact should have been was a 2 hour version of "I, Borg".

Tuconots
    The part I dont like about FirstContact is that the Federation just cannot fight worth a shit, no matter what... even in the DS9 war stuff they are just terribad...nor do they learn from past experiance...its like "We lost 90% of our fleet during the battle of XXXXX, then Picard/Worf/Sisko came in and won the day....so if this ever happens again.....just rush in and get rapesauced again and wait for "the man" to win it all."

But overall I enjoyed the movie, the space zombies are cool...err borg... and the slightly darker tone was a nice change from kirk and picard riding horses.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by lordvanduu View Post
    How long until we get some fucking Klingons in these Star Trek movies? I didn't even feel like the Romulans in the last one were real Romulans. I liked the last movie, but didn't really like the villains.
    I seem to recall them saying prior to the first movie that they wanted to avoid them (at least at the time) because no matter how they're portrayed, it was going to end up with one pissed off fanboy camp or the other.

klingons.jpg

Tuconots
    the original fu manchu klingons were best, but i guess thats a little too racist for 2012. i dont like the homeless bum with head trauma klingons either. i guess they could come up with a new take on klingons. and that way both fanboys can bitch about it equally.

Tuconots
    this is gonna be such a disgrace. don't support this shoveled up shit, spend money elsewher.

Tuconots
    Oh yay...Dumar is back.

Tuconots
    I believe he will be introduced in the IDW comics starting in January. They did a prequel series to the last movie and are doing the same for this one.

Tuconots
    Saw 9 minute preview infront of IMax Hobbit, shit was cash money. Abrams will deliver, naysayers be damned!

Tuconots
    New trailer -

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/p...kintodarkness/

And the extended preview -

edit: I don't know what the fuck this is but it's an .exe pretended to be an .mp4. -tuco

Looks good!

Tuconots
    Sure wish I could watch that trailer, Quicktime keeps telling me I need to install it when it's already installed and up to date....so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it just keeps telling me the same thing.

I fucking hate Quicktime.

Tuconots
    Install Quicktime Alternative or Quicktime Lite. I used to use them when I had a Windows computer. They're way better than standard Quicktime.

Tuconots
    Guess it wasn't Quicktime, it was my shitty browser that was stopping it. Time to get rid of it.

Also, trailer and extended cut preview looked great.

Tuconots
    well at least they chilled on the revenge angle for that trailer.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Maester Chuk View Post
    well at least they chilled on the revenge angle for that trailer.
    Thank God!

villan named yet? lol

dowloading now

Tuconots
    J.J. Abrams Screened All of 'Star Trek Into Darkness' for Dying Trekkie

http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/j-j...dying-trekkie/

Class act. The best PR moves are the ones done from the heart.

Tuconots
    That's pretty fucking awesome.

Tuconots
    Ailing Star Trek fan dies
    http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/aili...darkness-dies/

J.J. Abrams Calls Dying Fan’s Wish “Unbelievably Touching”
    http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/j-j-...ably-touching/
    Last edited by kidgamer; 01-07-2013 at 01:26 AM.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    Oh god I have such a man crush on Karl Urban. He is second only to Nathan Fillion in my fantasy hetero bro mate for life list ...which I'm sure everyone has.

But Urban just nailed McCoy. I'd say the first movie captured the spirit of Trek and the essence of most of the characters, but only Karl SOLD me on his. He was Bones from the first time he opened his mouth to almost throw up. I hope he gets a bit more screen time this go round.

Tuconots
    I'm very likely wrong but one of the trailers has a quick shot of what looks like a cargo bay full of cryo chambers with people in them. I wonder if we are going to see some version of a Khan and his 'family' being the villian(s) in this one after all.

Tuconots
    ?
    I got the impression that villain was Khan from the very beginning.

Tuconots
    no

Tuconots
    To me it makes sence its Kahn and he returned to earth and has been getting into the ranks of the Federation etc etc

Also during the 15min or whatever the extended clip is we see people taking their sick kid to some place for a desperate maybe law breaking medical proceadure to save him- aka genetic manipulation... as much as JJ and others want to be like "oh its not kahn!" its Kahn...untill they announce it offically...its Kahn... and if its not Kahn then oh well... but the speculations of who it may be other than Kahn make less sence than Kahn, sans its a100% new villan and not some "linked to old trek" type person.

Tuconots
    ^This dude can't spell.

???? - "I am better"
    Kirk - "At what?"
    ???? - "Everything."

KHAN

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ancient View Post
    ^This dude can't spell.

???? - "I am better"
    Kirk - "At what?"
    ???? - "Everything."

KHAN
    Of course he can! Have you no sence?

Tuconots
    It's not Kahn. Empire's latest officially names him "John Harrison". He's a former federation officer turned terrorist.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ancient View Post
    ^This dude can't spell.

???? - "I am better"
    Kirk - "At what?"
    ???? - "Everything."

KHAN
    I need to remake my FoH Sig or whatever it was that says 'no I can't spell' sorry brews.

but its still khan hehe

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    New trailer -

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/p...kintodarkness/

And the extended preview -
    snip -tuco

Looks good!
    Anyone got a link for straight people? Also wtf, that 2nd link is an exe masking as an mp4 - you should be banned for that shit!

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuday View Post
    It's not Kahn. Empire's latest officially names him "John Harrison". He's a former federation officer turned terrorist.
    That name has been thrown around and really, I am not buying it- it always has quotes " " around the name... and the fact that the latest trailer still didnt directly say who it was. If the "leak" of the name etc was true they would have ditched the whole "keep it secret, keep it safe" on all trailers/interviews etc and just said it already-

Tuconots
    There are no quotations around the name in the magazine. It's got a 7 page article about the movie and references him as Harrison a few times. That being said, it is entirely possible, and likely, that there will be some third-act "reveal" that his name is really Kahn. Article also mentions more relationship stuff between Uhura and Spock, which worries me a bit.

Tuconots

Tuconots
    I don't mind Spock getting some trim, but I'd rather see screentime devoted elsewhere. The first movie had just about enough.

Tuconots
    EDIT: Editing post double posted, wat?
    Last edited by Kreugen; 02-09-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Tuconots
    Perhaps in TOS something had happened that made Spock reject his human side and become the walking stiff we know and love. Wheras here with Vulcan being destroyed and the timeline completely changed that may not happen or simply has not happened yet. Seems... logical.

With the reboot Spock/Kirk undergo the most changes because their circumstances are altered the most, while the rest of the crew is left cookie cutter enough to keep things recognizable and fun. With Kirk they just took his.. Kirkness.. and turned it up five notches.

Hell, from what I remember of the pilot, Spock was just a normal guy with elf ears. All the cold logic shit was developed later.
    Last edited by Kreugen; 02-09-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Tuconots
    Up the Kirkness 5 notches, meaning turning him into an action hero retard, which is not what Kirk was, at all.

Tuconots
    What was Kirk Dumar?

Tuconots
    I don't know about retard, but Kirk was definitely action hero.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreugen View Post
    Perhaps in TOS something had happened that made Spock reject his human side and become the walking stiff we know and love. Wheras here with Vulcan being destroyed and the timeline completely changed that may not happen or simply has not happened yet. Seems... logical.

With the reboot Spock/Kirk undergo the most changes because their circumstances are altered the most, while the rest of the crew is left cookie cutter enough to keep things recognizable and fun. With Kirk they just took his.. Kirkness.. and turned it up five notches.

Hell, from what I remember of the pilot, Spock was just a normal guy with elf ears. All the cold logic shit was developed later.
    I remember reading an interview with Chris Pine where he said that the "Kirkness", at least as far as mannerisms, was way toned down in the second film. I really hadn't thought about the Spock love situation with the new timeline in mind, but that is an interesting way to think about it.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumar View Post
    Up the Kirkness 5 notches, meaning turning him into an action hero retard, which is not what Kirk was, at all.
    He was definitely an action hero. Retard depends on your pov I guess.

Tuconots
    Shatner himself said Kirk was an action hero, the first of his kind.

Stop shitting up Star Trek discussions Dumar.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    Stop shitting up discussions Dumar.
    There we go.

Also: Uhura was totally into Spock in TOS.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Itzena View Post
    There we go.

Also: Uhura was totally into Spock in TOS.
    Sure Uhura dug the way he strummed the lute, hey brother; however, it was Chapel who had to change her panties after an eyeful of bowl cut and pointy ear.

Tuconots
    I think it is fair to say that between Kirk and Spock, most of the females aboard the Enterprise were moist 24/7.

Tuconots
    new trailer

Tuconots
    kirk was definitely the action hero. dunno if he was retarded, but he wasnt averse to hamming it up at least once an episode. spock had some chicks going for him too, but he wasnt interested. poontang wasnt logical for him unless it was every seventh year and he had him some battle spears to fight for chicks.

Tuconots
    Or unless he got a faceful of spores. Then he totally got laid.

STThisSidePara.jpg

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by chaos View Post
    I think it is fair to say that between Kirk and Spock, most of the females aboard the Enterprise were moist 24/7.
    That's why they were the flagship for the federation. Any ambassadorial group got gang raped on sight.

Tuconots
    Well that puts a whole new spin on Journey to Babel...

Tuconots
    There's really no option to not watch a new Star Trek movie.

Tuconots
    Quote Originally Posted by Nailz View Post
    There's really no option to not watch a new Star Trek movie.
    But, Lens flare!
    " I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"

Tuconots
    I took my (ex) girlfriend to see the first one and she is a total "anti-Star Trek, Sci-Fi, geek/nerd, anything" type person and when we walked out of the theater she said "THAT WAS AWESOME!" so basically yeah, there is no excuse for basically anyone to go see the next installment of this.

Thread Information